my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » Beyond Star Wars   » JAPANIMATION (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Printable Version
Author Topic: JAPANIMATION
Dash Kelderon

On the Road to Redemption

Member # 427

posted 04-06-2003 05:08 AM     Profile for Dash Kelderon   Author's Homepage   Email Dash Kelderon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I wish there was more Japanese Animation on CANADIAN television. We only get SAILOR MOON, DRAGONBALL Z, and YU-GI-OH, up here. We use to get GUNDAM WING, and VISONS OF ESCAFLOWNE. But now we are down to 3, and I don't particularly care for SAILOR MOON.

*SIGHS* *Wishes that local cable would buy the rights to show CARTOON NETWORK!*

--------------------

Those 2 guys may be IDIOTS... but they think the same way I do!

Posts: 655 | From: M.I,A | Registered: Feb 2003  |  Logged: 63.88.67.230
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 04-06-2003 08:47 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Crosses arms, wrinkles nose, steps back in distaste, looks around for can of bug spray and/or good movie to put on instead of *shudders* yuh-gi-oh-so-awful....

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.96.79
BobPalpatine

Foo Fighter

Member # 17

posted 04-06-2003 09:28 PM     Profile for BobPalpatine   Author's Homepage   Email BobPalpatine     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Most people refer to it as Anime BTW, not as Japanimation.

You like some Anime that I beleive is the bane of Anime. So many people think Anime is all Yu-gi-oh and DBZ. So they don't pay attention to the anime which is deserving of praise and worth watching.

My favorite anime is the series Neon Genesis: Evangelion. It's a great series and there is a lot of background to it, and to even understand the end you have to do massive amounts of research, which isn't too bad because it gets you really interested in it by the end.

I also am a fan of Cowboy Bepop, but who isn't. I don't like watching it on Cartoon Network though, due to the fact that they edit it for content. I'd rather just watch it on DVD.

Some titles you might want to check out...

Spirited Away
X (The movie, but the OVA is turning out to be a damn good series)
Vampire D
Trigun
Princess Mononoke

I got a bunch others, but that will start you off.

--------------------

"Can't you hear my motored heart? Your the one that started it!"

-Foo Fighters "Generator"

Cogito ergo sum

BobPalpatine
Holonet Admin

Posts: 681 | From: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  Logged: 68.184.208.42
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 04-06-2003 09:46 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well I used to be into Anime, but not anymore. I've grown out of it, the only thing I'd say I enjoy watching is Cowboy Bebop. It is a very realistic, and well drawn world, and very well thought out. I like every character on the show...

I couldn't say I like anything else that has been produce as of now, other than Naruto, but I don't want to get too indepth on that--even though I love the manga.

--------------------

"I am here to redeem myself. See, The Fate of the universe lies in my hands! I will take up the challenge!"

-Lumbia Whitfield

Posts: 1143 | From: In space... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 12.213.76.134
Dash Kelderon

Member # 427

posted 04-07-2003 04:19 AM     Profile for Dash Kelderon   Author's Homepage   Email Dash Kelderon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I own Princess Mononoke, and Vampire Hunter D. I have seen AKIRA like a bagillion times, and I think VISIONS of ESCAFLOWNE is like the COOLEST series of ANIME ever to hit CANADIAN networks.

Thanks for the list BOB!

--------------------

BobPalpatine

Foo Fighter

Member # 17

posted 04-07-2003 12:55 PM     Profile for BobPalpatine   Author's Homepage   Email BobPalpatine     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh yea, you don't want Cartoon Network's anime. They cut too much out for me. My suggestion is find a local video store around you and see if they have any Anime. Its a lot cheaper that way, and you get to see the uncut versions. Usually independently owned video stores tend to have a lot more of anime and other kinds of lesser known film.

Another alternative to the renting is Hollywood Video or Blockbuster. Blockbuster has been a lot better lately about supplying anime to their stores. So it shouldn't be to hard to find some of the bigger titles at one.

--------------------

"Can't you hear my motored heart? Your the one that started it!"

-Foo Fighters "Generator"

Cogito ergo sum

BobPalpatine
Holonet Admin

Posts: 681 | From: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  Logged: 68.184.208.42
Dash Kelderon

Member # 427

posted 04-07-2003 05:07 PM     Profile for Dash Kelderon   Author's Homepage   Email Dash Kelderon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I guess JAPANIMATION is a more common term in CANADA.

I went to check out some local video stores... they were polluted with SLAYERS, RANMA 1/2, HARVEST MOON, and STREET FIGHTER.

Blockbuster was not much better. They had a better MOVIE selection... but the SERIES videos were much the same as the local stores!

Thanks for the suggestion again BOB!!!

--------------------

Posts: 655 | From: M.I,A | Registered: Feb 2003  |  Logged: 24.233.122.164
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 04-07-2003 10:23 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Gray must be going crazy with this thread... LOL

BUT DONT FORGET!

Sonic the hedgehog(satAM version, the cool one with sally, the bunny, and the cool robitnic, FREEDOM FIGHTERS! WOOO)

OH ya, Triguns one of the best anime's out there!

And yes, Princess monenoke is a good one, must agree...

I wanna see Vamp. Hunt. D

Anyway, im out

p.s. Evangelion is WIERD... *watches as shinji is a candy @$$ and sighs*

--------------------

"Insert Snappy quote here"

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.227.22.224
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 04-08-2003 12:32 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ahhh... like fresh blood to a hunting Noghri....

You just couldn't stay away from us when THIS particular thread beckoned, could you, Entaris???

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.96.79
Dash Kelderon

Member # 427

posted 04-08-2003 04:10 AM     Profile for Dash Kelderon   Author's Homepage   Email Dash Kelderon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Poor Entaris... he comes back to make a few posts and we try to chase him away again... Ha ha ha!

You can reply to my topics any time you want ENTARIS!!!

--------------------

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 04-08-2003 10:13 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Arches a brow in confusion about Dash's above response....

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.188.199
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 04-08-2003 03:57 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think Dash was joking, as were you...

--------------------

In the absence of light, darkness prevails

Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 68.155.96.171
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 04-08-2003 06:55 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
you all hate me dont you? *shifty eyes*

actauly gray, i came back to check out the pod cause you said you missed me here, this just happened to be one of the two threads that caught me eye

but you know, if ya'll dont want me here, i can very easily dissapear again *Chuckles

--------------------

"Insert Snappy quote here"

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.219.51.116
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 04-08-2003 08:00 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
NO-OO-OOO-OOOOO!!!!

DO NOT go off and disappear again!

Hums a few bars from "Twilight Zone...."

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.209.6
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 04-08-2003 08:41 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Where's the Irony, or the twist to warrant such a tune?

--------------------

In the absence of light, darkness prevails

Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 68.155.96.171
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 04-10-2003 09:03 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
She doesn't know....I think...

--------------------

"I am here to redeem myself. See, The Fate of the universe lies in my hands! I will take up the challenge!"

-Lumbia Whitfield

Posts: 1143 | From: In space... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 12.213.76.134
O-B-1 Kenobi

Member # 467

posted 07-23-2003 12:24 AM     Profile for O-B-1 Kenobi   Author's Homepage   Email O-B-1 Kenobi     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ARRGH. Why did I not see this thread before. I hope the topic is not closed.

Ok here in Singapore, anime is shown in both chinese and english.

Here in Singapore, we have many anime shows

English:
Magic Knight Rayearth
Digimon
Pokemon
Yu-Gi-Oh
Hamtaro
Gundam
Duel

Chinese:
DragonballZ
Sailormoon
Love Hina

Do you guys have any of these in your country?

ME HEAP BIG FAN OF ANIME!!!!!

[ 07-23-2003 10:23 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by O-B-1 Kenobi ]

Posts: 66 | From: unknnown | Registered: May 2003  |  Logged: 164.78.252.54
Dash Kelderon

Member # 427

posted 07-28-2003 06:31 AM     Profile for Dash Kelderon   Author's Homepage   Email Dash Kelderon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
CANADA in ENGLISH

Dragonball Z
Gundam Wing
Visions of Escaflowne
Sailor Moon
Hamtaro
Fighting Foodons
Pokemon
Digimon (doesn't really seem like ANIME but...)
Cardcaptors

I think I missed some, but that's good enough for now...

--------------------

Xam Ngboohan

Force Sensitive Mercenary

Member # 463

posted 07-28-2003 06:37 PM     Profile for Xam Ngboohan   Author's Homepage   Email Xam Ngboohan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
O-B-1, you forgot about Beyblade, Super Yo-Yo, and crush Gear.

And Dash, I am curious to know why Digimon does not seem like an anime to you?

--------------------

There is a shadowy voice in my heart, telling me to embrace the darkness.....

Posts: 316 | From: Singapore | Registered: May 2003  |  Logged: 164.78.252.53
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 08-02-2003 04:42 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Worst show ever was Poke'mon. It'll never be better than the Loney Toons, never!

--------------------

-Lumbia Whitfield

Xam Ngboohan

Member # 463

posted 08-03-2003 06:35 PM     Profile for Xam Ngboohan   Author's Homepage   Email Xam Ngboohan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Loney Toons? More like lonely toons. Pokemon is great. One of my top ten favorite anime shows.

Of course my fave is Transformers.

--------------------

LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 08-03-2003 09:28 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It is the worst, Pokemon can never compete with good ol' Loney Toons.

--------------------

-Lumbia Whitfield

Blade of Chaos

Member # 488

posted 08-03-2003 11:54 PM     Profile for Blade of Chaos   Author's Homepage   Email Blade of Chaos     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I really like DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Rurouni Kenshin. I haven't seen any Gundams but G, and that was OK. I did love Princess Mononoke, though.

--------------------

I am Ragorian, the mighty Blade of Chaos. Where I am weilded, darkness and dissent shall reign.

Posts: 152 | From: Under your bed... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  Logged: 67.4.110.170
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 08-05-2003 03:01 AM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kenshin is a good one...

--------------------

-Lumbia Whitfield

Xam Ngboohan

Member # 463

posted 08-06-2003 12:19 AM     Profile for Xam Ngboohan   Author's Homepage   Email Xam Ngboohan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damn, we don't get "serious" anime here. If you know what I mean.

--------------------

All times are CT
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05