The Holonet Boards   » Beyond Star Wars   » JAPANIMATION

Dash Kelderon

posted 04-06-2003 05:08 AM    
I wish there was more Japanese Animation on CANADIAN television. We only get SAILOR MOON, DRAGONBALL Z, and YU-GI-OH, up here. We use to get GUNDAM WING, and VISONS OF ESCAFLOWNE. But now we are down to 3, and I don't particularly care for SAILOR MOON.

*SIGHS* *Wishes that local cable would buy the rights to show CARTOON NETWORK!*

Graysith

posted 04-06-2003 08:47 PM    
Crosses arms, wrinkles nose, steps back in distaste, looks around for can of bug spray and/or good movie to put on instead of *shudders* yuh-gi-oh-so-awful....

BobPalpatine

posted 04-06-2003 09:28 PM    
Most people refer to it as Anime BTW, not as Japanimation.

You like some Anime that I beleive is the bane of Anime. So many people think Anime is all Yu-gi-oh and DBZ. So they don't pay attention to the anime which is deserving of praise and worth watching.

My favorite anime is the series Neon Genesis: Evangelion. It's a great series and there is a lot of background to it, and to even understand the end you have to do massive amounts of research, which isn't too bad because it gets you really interested in it by the end.

I also am a fan of Cowboy Bepop, but who isn't. I don't like watching it on Cartoon Network though, due to the fact that they edit it for content. I'd rather just watch it on DVD.

Some titles you might want to check out...

Spirited Away
X (The movie, but the OVA is turning out to be a damn good series)
Vampire D
Trigun
Princess Mononoke

I got a bunch others, but that will start you off.

LumbiaSith

posted 04-06-2003 09:46 PM    
Well I used to be into Anime, but not anymore. I've grown out of it, the only thing I'd say I enjoy watching is Cowboy Bebop. It is a very realistic, and well drawn world, and very well thought out. I like every character on the show...

I couldn't say I like anything else that has been produce as of now, other than Naruto, but I don't want to get too indepth on that--even though I love the manga.

Dash Kelderon

posted 04-07-2003 04:19 AM    
I own Princess Mononoke, and Vampire Hunter D. I have seen AKIRA like a bagillion times, and I think VISIONS of ESCAFLOWNE is like the COOLEST series of ANIME ever to hit CANADIAN networks.

Thanks for the list BOB!

BobPalpatine

posted 04-07-2003 12:55 PM    
Oh yea, you don't want Cartoon Network's anime. They cut too much out for me. My suggestion is find a local video store around you and see if they have any Anime. Its a lot cheaper that way, and you get to see the uncut versions. Usually independently owned video stores tend to have a lot more of anime and other kinds of lesser known film.

Another alternative to the renting is Hollywood Video or Blockbuster. Blockbuster has been a lot better lately about supplying anime to their stores. So it shouldn't be to hard to find some of the bigger titles at one.

Dash Kelderon

posted 04-07-2003 05:07 PM    
I guess JAPANIMATION is a more common term in CANADA.

I went to check out some local video stores... they were polluted with SLAYERS, RANMA 1/2, HARVEST MOON, and STREET FIGHTER.

Blockbuster was not much better. They had a better MOVIE selection... but the SERIES videos were much the same as the local stores!

Thanks for the suggestion again BOB!!!

Entaris

posted 04-07-2003 10:23 PM    
Gray must be going crazy with this thread... LOL

BUT DONT FORGET!

Sonic the hedgehog(satAM version, the cool one with sally, the bunny, and the cool robitnic, FREEDOM FIGHTERS! WOOO)

OH ya, Triguns one of the best anime's out there!

And yes, Princess monenoke is a good one, must agree...

I wanna see Vamp. Hunt. D

Anyway, im out

p.s. Evangelion is WIERD... *watches as shinji is a candy @$$ and sighs*

Graysith

posted 04-08-2003 12:32 AM    
Ahhh... like fresh blood to a hunting Noghri....

You just couldn't stay away from us when THIS particular thread beckoned, could you, Entaris???

Dash Kelderon

posted 04-08-2003 04:10 AM    
Poor Entaris... he comes back to make a few posts and we try to chase him away again... Ha ha ha!

You can reply to my topics any time you want ENTARIS!!!

Graysith

posted 04-08-2003 10:13 AM    
Arches a brow in confusion about Dash's above response....

Loban

posted 04-08-2003 03:57 PM    
I think Dash was joking, as were you...

Entaris

posted 04-08-2003 06:55 PM    
you all hate me dont you? *shifty eyes*

actauly gray, i came back to check out the pod cause you said you missed me here, this just happened to be one of the two threads that caught me eye

but you know, if ya'll dont want me here, i can very easily dissapear again *Chuckles

Graysith

posted 04-08-2003 08:00 PM    
NO-OO-OOO-OOOOO!!!!

DO NOT go off and disappear again!

Hums a few bars from "Twilight Zone...."

Loban

posted 04-08-2003 08:41 PM    
Where's the Irony, or the twist to warrant such a tune?

LumbiaSith

posted 04-10-2003 09:03 PM    
She doesn't know....I think...

O-B-1 Kenobi

posted 07-23-2003 12:24 AM    
ARRGH. Why did I not see this thread before. I hope the topic is not closed.

Ok here in Singapore, anime is shown in both chinese and english.

Here in Singapore, we have many anime shows

English:
Magic Knight Rayearth
Digimon
Pokemon
Yu-Gi-Oh
Hamtaro
Gundam
Duel

Chinese:
DragonballZ
Sailormoon
Love Hina

Do you guys have any of these in your country?

ME HEAP BIG FAN OF ANIME!!!!!

[ 07-23-2003 10:23 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by O-B-1 Kenobi ]

Dash Kelderon

posted 07-28-2003 06:31 AM    
CANADA in ENGLISH

Dragonball Z
Gundam Wing
Visions of Escaflowne
Sailor Moon
Hamtaro
Fighting Foodons
Pokemon
Digimon (doesn't really seem like ANIME but...)
Cardcaptors

I think I missed some, but that's good enough for now...

Xam Ngboohan

posted 07-28-2003 06:37 PM    
O-B-1, you forgot about Beyblade, Super Yo-Yo, and crush Gear.

And Dash, I am curious to know why Digimon does not seem like an anime to you?

LumbiaSith

posted 08-02-2003 04:42 PM    
Worst show ever was Poke'mon. It'll never be better than the Loney Toons, never!

Xam Ngboohan

posted 08-03-2003 06:35 PM    
Loney Toons? More like lonely toons. Pokemon is great. One of my top ten favorite anime shows.

Of course my fave is Transformers.

LumbiaSith

posted 08-03-2003 09:28 PM    
It is the worst, Pokemon can never compete with good ol' Loney Toons.

Blade of Chaos

posted 08-03-2003 11:54 PM    
I really like DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Rurouni Kenshin. I haven't seen any Gundams but G, and that was OK. I did love Princess Mononoke, though.

LumbiaSith

posted 08-05-2003 03:01 AM    
Kenshin is a good one...

Xam Ngboohan

posted 08-06-2003 12:19 AM    
Damn, we don't get "serious" anime here. If you know what I mean.

LumbiaSith

posted 08-06-2003 01:13 AM    
At you talking about the atomsphere of the show? I guess so, if you think Poke'mon is great, lol. Kenshin is good, but Cowboy Bebop is the best. No one, in my book, can compete with it.

Graysith

posted 08-06-2003 12:44 PM    
Personally I am a little saddened to see that the term "anime" is being used in reference to Japanimation. This term obviously is a shortened version of the word "animation," referring to a style of cartooning, and in being used so globally now seems to have slid into the unspoken suggestion of "anime" denoting the "top gun style" in the animation world, so to speak, that it is the animation style/technique that all cartooning artists should strive to reach.

"Japanimation" is indeed a more realistic term to call this type of thing, which in my book is scarcely good animation. Not on the level of Disney, for example. Even Warner Brothers animation is better... they at least can match up the characters' lips with the spoken word, and not look like the mouths are just rectangles opening and closing at random.

As for the actual writing... while I understand there is much error in the translation, it's still just too juvenile. At least the few japanimation programs I've managed to watch are.

Where are the subtle nuances? The great facial expressions? The mannerisms, the characteristic quirks and idiosyncracies which elevate the characters from simple cartoon (and bad ones at that) to a "real" character?

Oh well, sorry, but these are but a very few reasons that I do not care for "anime" -- and I use the term lightly regarding japanimation.

Xam Ngboohan

posted 08-06-2003 09:45 PM    
Actually if you look closely enough, many of our current cartoons made in America are done in the "Shonen" japanimation style.

eg: The Zeta Project, Batman of the Future.

And comic books like "Teen Titans" and "Young JLA" are also done in "Shonen" Style. This style is not common in authentic japanese made animations. The only show i know which is done in this style is "Digimon"

I personally prefer "Shoujo" style anime. This is the most common style of art for science fiction, school drama and fantasy genre Japanimation.

There is another type of artwork(I forgot the name). This is used in thrillers and "serious" anime like "Cowboy bebop".

Graysith

posted 08-06-2003 10:38 PM    
Of COURSE we here in the US would use the same styles... because that is what sells, unfortunately.

The further dumbing of America... it's scary.

At least Lumbia appreciates Loony Tunes...!

[ 08-06-2003 10:40 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

LumbiaSith

posted 08-06-2003 10:44 PM    
I don't think shes ever seen Cowboy Bebop animation--or Blade of Chaos. Artistically it is beyond american animation. Rectangular, please--in these supposed cartoons they surpass everything our animation has presented. Atleast out of the comic book box..

It matters what you see first, and your first impression must have been something like poke'mon or Voltron.

Xam Ngboohan

posted 08-06-2003 10:47 PM    
Looney Toons are like........how old?

Sorry if I seem extremely supportive of anime. I myself am an anime artist. Ok not a professional one. I do the weekly anime comic strip in my school magazine.

Anyway, I feel that Japanese animation is becoming more westernised, and western cartoons are becoming more....well you know.

Also I hold anime artists in more high regard than artists of, say, looney toons. Anime is a lot harder and challenging to draw. I could draw looney toons when I was only 8.

O-B-1 Kenobi

posted 08-07-2003 06:29 PM    
YOU do the comic???? Some credit should go to me. After all I was the one hwo convinced you to draw for the magazine in the first place. And you have a team of 5 others to help you colour and do the dialogue.

Anyway, you are right Xam. Many people can draw "regular" cartoons. Only a few can draw really proper and good anime. I salute those "elites".

Blade of Chaos

posted 09-19-2004 04:29 AM    
Hmmmm.

The last post hasn't been for more than a year.

But why not?

In addition to what I said before...a long time ago...I must add a few series to my favorites.
Neon Genesis Evangelion-complicated? Yes. But good...very good. Though Shinji is, as had been said, a candy @$$...
Hellsing-Vampires! Demonic, rip--your-head-off-and-drink-the-blood-from-the-wound Vampires! Crazy, Incomprehensible Irish Paladin Priest Man! Odd French (i think) Mercenary team! Etc! Long live Hellsing!
Trigun-What's NOT to like?
Full Metal Alchemist-Teh rules!
Shaman King-the MANGA, NOT the FoxBox show.

and, finally, proably the cream of the crop...
Naruto-I mean, its just...awesome!

There. I've ranted enough. Plus breathed new life into a more-than-year-old topic! Not that anyone else cares.

But I do.

Rykounagin

posted 03-03-2005 08:19 PM    
Don't worry blade, I care. Well regardless (for in most cases I sometimes have to regard some anime as a weeker form of playboy, pending on the anime/manga). However, I fond of: Full Metal Alchemist, Naruto, Kenshin, the Gundams, Wolfs Rain, and a few others.