my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » Beyond Star Wars   » JAPANIMATION (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Printable Version
Author Topic: JAPANIMATION
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 08-06-2003 01:13 AM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
At you talking about the atomsphere of the show? I guess so, if you think Poke'mon is great, lol. Kenshin is good, but Cowboy Bebop is the best. No one, in my book, can compete with it.

--------------------

"I am here to redeem myself. See, The Fate of the universe lies in my hands! I will take up the challenge!"

-Lumbia Whitfield

Posts: 1143 | From: In space... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 12.213.76.134
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-06-2003 12:44 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Personally I am a little saddened to see that the term "anime" is being used in reference to Japanimation. This term obviously is a shortened version of the word "animation," referring to a style of cartooning, and in being used so globally now seems to have slid into the unspoken suggestion of "anime" denoting the "top gun style" in the animation world, so to speak, that it is the animation style/technique that all cartooning artists should strive to reach.

"Japanimation" is indeed a more realistic term to call this type of thing, which in my book is scarcely good animation. Not on the level of Disney, for example. Even Warner Brothers animation is better... they at least can match up the characters' lips with the spoken word, and not look like the mouths are just rectangles opening and closing at random.

As for the actual writing... while I understand there is much error in the translation, it's still just too juvenile. At least the few japanimation programs I've managed to watch are.

Where are the subtle nuances? The great facial expressions? The mannerisms, the characteristic quirks and idiosyncracies which elevate the characters from simple cartoon (and bad ones at that) to a "real" character?

Oh well, sorry, but these are but a very few reasons that I do not care for "anime" -- and I use the term lightly regarding japanimation.

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.96.79
Xam Ngboohan

Force Sensitive Mercenary

Member # 463

posted 08-06-2003 09:45 PM     Profile for Xam Ngboohan   Author's Homepage   Email Xam Ngboohan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Actually if you look closely enough, many of our current cartoons made in America are done in the "Shonen" japanimation style.

eg: The Zeta Project, Batman of the Future.

And comic books like "Teen Titans" and "Young JLA" are also done in "Shonen" Style. This style is not common in authentic japanese made animations. The only show i know which is done in this style is "Digimon"

I personally prefer "Shoujo" style anime. This is the most common style of art for science fiction, school drama and fantasy genre Japanimation.

There is another type of artwork(I forgot the name). This is used in thrillers and "serious" anime like "Cowboy bebop".

--------------------

There is a shadowy voice in my heart, telling me to embrace the darkness.....

Posts: 316 | From: Singapore | Registered: May 2003  |  Logged: 164.78.252.56
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-06-2003 10:38 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Of COURSE we here in the US would use the same styles... because that is what sells, unfortunately.

The further dumbing of America... it's scary.

At least Lumbia appreciates Loony Tunes...!

[ 08-06-2003 10:40 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.208.165
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 08-06-2003 10:44 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't think shes ever seen Cowboy Bebop animation--or Blade of Chaos. Artistically it is beyond american animation. Rectangular, please--in these supposed cartoons they surpass everything our animation has presented. Atleast out of the comic book box..

It matters what you see first, and your first impression must have been something like poke'mon or Voltron.

--------------------

"I am here to redeem myself. See, The Fate of the universe lies in my hands! I will take up the challenge!"

-Lumbia Whitfield

Posts: 1143 | From: In space... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 12.213.76.134
Xam Ngboohan

Force Sensitive Mercenary

Member # 463

posted 08-06-2003 10:47 PM     Profile for Xam Ngboohan   Author's Homepage   Email Xam Ngboohan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Looney Toons are like........how old?

Sorry if I seem extremely supportive of anime. I myself am an anime artist. Ok not a professional one. I do the weekly anime comic strip in my school magazine.

Anyway, I feel that Japanese animation is becoming more westernised, and western cartoons are becoming more....well you know.

Also I hold anime artists in more high regard than artists of, say, looney toons. Anime is a lot harder and challenging to draw. I could draw looney toons when I was only 8.

--------------------

There is a shadowy voice in my heart, telling me to embrace the darkness.....

Posts: 316 | From: Singapore | Registered: May 2003  |  Logged: 164.78.252.53
O-B-1 Kenobi

Member # 467

posted 08-07-2003 06:29 PM     Profile for O-B-1 Kenobi   Author's Homepage   Email O-B-1 Kenobi     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
YOU do the comic???? Some credit should go to me. After all I was the one hwo convinced you to draw for the magazine in the first place. And you have a team of 5 others to help you colour and do the dialogue.

Anyway, you are right Xam. Many people can draw "regular" cartoons. Only a few can draw really proper and good anime. I salute those "elites".

Posts: 66 | From: unknnown | Registered: May 2003  |  Logged: 164.78.252.53
Blade of Chaos

Member # 488

posted 09-19-2004 04:29 AM     Profile for Blade of Chaos   Author's Homepage   Email Blade of Chaos     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmmm.

The last post hasn't been for more than a year.

But why not?

In addition to what I said before...a long time ago...I must add a few series to my favorites.
Neon Genesis Evangelion-complicated? Yes. But good...very good. Though Shinji is, as had been said, a candy @$$...
Hellsing-Vampires! Demonic, rip--your-head-off-and-drink-the-blood-from-the-wound Vampires! Crazy, Incomprehensible Irish Paladin Priest Man! Odd French (i think) Mercenary team! Etc! Long live Hellsing!
Trigun-What's NOT to like?
Full Metal Alchemist-Teh rules!
Shaman King-the MANGA, NOT the FoxBox show.

and, finally, proably the cream of the crop...
Naruto-I mean, its just...awesome!

There. I've ranted enough. Plus breathed new life into a more-than-year-old topic! Not that anyone else cares.

But I do.

--------------------

I am Ragorian, the mighty Blade of Chaos. Where I am weilded, darkness and dissent shall reign.

Posts: 152 | From: Under your bed... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  Logged: 67.4.102.208
Rykounagin

Son of Conflict

Member # 531

posted 03-03-2005 08:19 PM     Profile for Rykounagin   Author's Homepage   Email Rykounagin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Don't worry blade, I care. Well regardless (for in most cases I sometimes have to regard some anime as a weeker form of playboy, pending on the anime/manga). However, I fond of: Full Metal Alchemist, Naruto, Kenshin, the Gundams, Wolfs Rain, and a few others.

--------------------

"I'm not afraid to keep on living, I'm not afraid to walk this world alone;" -Black Parade

Posts: 869 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  Logged: 70.56.6.223

All times are CT
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05