my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
»  The Holonet Boards   » Role Playing   » Complete Star Wars Universe   » Dark Shadows Rising (Page 9)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Printable Version
Author Topic: Dark Shadows Rising
Yaoksi Joao

Smuggler Extraordinaire and All-Around Good Guy

Member # 126

posted 11-29-2008 09:54 AM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I raised a brow and waggled it, retaining the goofy grin that was planted on my puss. I knew good and well that Link was just busting to burst into laughter at my expense, but I didn't care. It was good to see her laugh, even though it was under her breath.

Then I sobered a little, letting my arms fall to my sides.

"I know what you mean, kiddo," I said, the emptiness at my own thigh bringing back vivid memories of that horrific place we'd passed through en route to the Vong planet, the place where I'd lost my poor Devil-May-Care and more than likely my own blaster along the way. I hated being weaponless, particularly since unless it was with some sort of handgun or another I wasn't much good in a fight.

Witness what happened on that empty planet we landed on...

I patted my thigh, underscoring my words.

"I'm gonna see if Captain Danner has any extra blasters laying around I can appropriate," I said, not willing to let Link know that the ones being sold here, as wonderful and unique as they were, were just a tad wee beyond my budget.

--------------------

"Hey! It's not my fault!"

Posts: 606 | From: Midwest | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 12.216.73.228
Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 11-29-2008 10:10 AM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I stood by silently throughout this little exchange, my arms crossed, fighting to keep the expression of disgust that wanted to spread out across my face from doing so. For those memories of the trials and tribulations I'd experienced both during my time with Sorben and since were but a mere few years old, old enough to still be fresh as a daisy in my mind. And during the majority of that time I too had been without my daughter, running here and there all over Khaandon's creation trying to find her, remaining one jump behind whoever it was who had her, which at the time I hadn't much more than a firm suspicion.

In fact, during much of that time it had been the admitted hope that she was still alive that had kept me going; how did I know? Darra had disappeared, taken from me in, yes, another dark and drear entanglement with the Sith, for whom I myself had not much in the way of fond thoughts. But I had kept going.

Kyan had practically his entire family eradicated... and here he was, practically a stranger to us, but willing to throw his lot in with us.

But this Erik...

I drew in a deep breath, struggling to put everything into perspective.

He just lost his son, Galen, I told myself firmly. And there's no glimmer of hope that he's alive somewhere. He knows he's dead. But--

I couldn't help following that train of thought right back to the end of the line in Kyan's history, where it sat in quiet and comparative reprimand.

His family is dead, too.

Yeah, death hurts. It stabs into one's soul with an icy-hot blade, bringing with it not only the pain of loss but the subtle reminder of one's own mortality.

Well... that only makes me want to live harder! I thought fiercely. Make the most of what life has to give us -- if indeed it is really doing that -- and do the most that one can to make certain that the same choice is available for other beings in this ratty ol' universe!

My hands gripped my elbows, and I just couldn't help the little snort of derision that trickled from my lips.

No wonder this guy isn't a real Jedi...

--------------------

"Sure as there is Treasure on Roon...."

Posts: 1455 | From: | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 12.216.73.228
Cel

Really Nice Member

Member # 697

posted 11-29-2008 10:23 PM     Profile for Cel   Author's Homepage   Email Cel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
“Well I don't have anything else to get at least at the moment.” said Link. She knew she would have to come back through here later with possible more credits to replace all the equipment she had lost, got stolen, or destroyed in her travels. Mentally she made note of which shops carried what she needed, filing it away for a later visit.

I don't know where Terrin found some of these people to set up shop here but any slicer would go insane at some of the tech that these people where selling, this almost put the smugglers run to shame with the sheer amount of selection. Maybe there is something I could get to protect against amphistaffs or at least some anti-venom in case we run into those 'things again.

While Link thought of the amphistaffs her left arm started to burn in pain Like when she was bitten. Staring down at it she saw she clenched the hand of her artificial arm into a fist and her arm was shaking. Reaching across with her other arm Link grabbed her wrist and over the course of a few seconds somehow managed to stop her artificial arm's convulsions and then she pain slowly subsided.

Looking over at Yaoksi she could see how worried he looked at what just happened. Not exactly sure of what had just happened Link tried to explain it to Yaoksi as best as she could.

“I'm ok... I just started to think about those amphistaffs and my fake arm some how felt like I had been bitten by one of those things again. I can't explain it my arm has no feeling yet the pain was so real like I had my actual arm back for a few seconds.”

Finding that she was now cradling her left arm Link let herself drop it to her side. Link smiled at the cruel joke life was playing with her by first taking her arm then reminding her of it.

“I'm ready to go meet up with the others if you are. They should be about three levels up if I remembered the map correctly.”

--------------------

Creator of Adrianna Joao (Cel, "Link"), Kyan Jetiis'ad (Deceased), Kani Jetiis'ad, Bes'in Skirata

Posts: 328 | From: Oregon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  Logged: 199.2.124.138
Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 11-30-2008 12:18 PM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
My goofy grin faded at Link's worrisome announcement. I wasn't a doctor; for all I knew she was starting to reject the arm the med-bots had fitted her with.

"Ahh, maybe we should go back to sick bay and have you checked over a bit more thoroughly?" I suggested, frowning with concern. "After all, you just came out of surgery; maybe you shouldn't be up and running around so soon. Universe knows you're one tough Ryn, kid... but I sure don't want anything else to happen to ya."

--------------------

Cel

Really Nice Member

Member # 697

posted 11-30-2008 01:12 PM     Profile for Cel   Author's Homepage   Email Cel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
“No,” Link protested. “I don't like that place besides I'm fine now and the others are waiting.” Link cut herself off when she saw that Yaoksi wasn't buying any of this and truth be told neither was Link. Her tail dropped to the ground and she bowed her head in defeat.

“You win,” said Link. “Your right, I'll go back to the med bay.”

--------------------

Creator of Adrianna Joao (Cel, "Link"), Kyan Jetiis'ad (Deceased), Kani Jetiis'ad, Bes'in Skirata

Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 12-03-2008 11:45 AM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"Hey, maybe they'll just look ya over, kid," I responded as, putting a friendly arm about her shoulders, I turned and began retracing the way we had come. "I mean, chances are good you won't be stuck there long; give a little blood, gag on a stick or something and we're outta there again!"

I grinned, trying to keep up our spirits even though I knew durned good and well what was weighing heavily on her mind. Her Ryn physiology was indeed very different from that of a human; maybe they not only couldn't receive a syn-flesh prosthetic, they couldn't receive any kind at all.

I gulped a little to myself, hoping fervently that the latter wouldn't turn out to be the case.

In no time we were back at the med-bay, where the same med-bot who had handled her case hastened up, the lenses of his eyes pulsing in the droid equivalent of curiosity.

"May I help you?" it asked politely, coming to a halt in front of us. Quickly I explained the situation; just as quickly, it had Link hop up on the nearest bed to proceed with a quick but thorough examination. I wasn't invited to leave, so I remained there, grasping her other hand with both of mine and smiling into her eyes.

"Don't worry kid, it'll be all right," I said, trying to assure her even as my stomach curled up into a knot tighter than a womprat in hibernation. At length the med-bot finished its examination, and straightened from her stiffened form.

"I can detect nothing wrong, Sir," he said, formally replying to me but encompassing us both with his assessment.

"It seems that what she was experiencing is something called 'phantom limb syndrome.' It is the body's way of becoming accustomed to the loss of an appendage; this should fade over time. But there doesn't seem to be any biological evidence of rejection; this arm should function as perfectly well as a biological one."

It paused, turning it's metallic head to scan its own arm before returning its focus to us.

"Better, even."

It paused a moment longer, as if debating with itself over something. But being a droid meant it couldn't exercise the greater part of valor; straightening further it blurted on.

"Unless of course, she does not want the appendage. Then there will be some risk of rejection. We can attach neuron to neuron, muscle strand to muscle strand, bone to bone and flesh to flesh. We can ascertain that all is well within functioning parameters. But we cannot account for the vagaries of the sentient mind.

"If this limb is to function as it ought, then this little one needs to fully accept it."

With that it held out its own silvery arm and assisted Link from the bed. It indicated the door with a wave of the other.

"There is no need for further examination; you may go now," it finished, before heading off to see to the needs of another patient.

My brows, having crawled to the top of my head at all this, waggled furiously before falling back into their usual place. I gave Link a steady look.

"It's up to you, kid," I finally said, taking up both her hands and squeezing them. I knew she probably couldn't feel anything in the robotic one, maybe some sensation of pressure of sorts. But I knew it was the motion that counted most of all.

"Let's go on and find the others now."

With that I led her from the med-bay, hopefully for the last time, and bee-lined to the monitor Link had used. It didn't take long to find the compartment where the others had sequestered themselves, and shortly thereafter we were entering into it. There we found Captain Danner and his wife, the latter looking steamed about something, accompanied by Kyan and another man I hadn't met before.

I stopped, bringing Link to a halt beside me, a smile plastered on my face.

"Hey," I said by way of announcement before falling silent in response to the nearly physical impact of gloom n' doom that permeated the room.

Uh-oh. This can't be good...

[ 12-03-2008 11:48 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Yaoksi Joao ]

--------------------

Posts: 606 | From: Midwest | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 205.188.117.195
Terrin Danner

Exceptional Salesman turned Really Nice Guy

Member # 110

posted 12-06-2008 03:34 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Terrin shook himself, trying to keep the thundercloud that was developing in his line of sight to address Yaoksi and Link as they entered.

"Hey, come on in," he said as they did precisely that. Then he continued with introductions. "Erik, this is Captain Yaoksi Joao and Link, a couple of good friends. Captain Joao and Link, this is Erik Kartan, the owner of Stargazer Corporation and an information smuggler who has offered us his resources."

Terrin paused then, scowling a bit to himself once more. "I was just about to point out to him that, with his knwoledge of the Sith and the resources he now has that we really need his help again," he stated then, looking Erik dead in his stormy brown eyes. "Running from the Sith and Shayla won't do you any good. You know too much, and you know as well as I do that an information smuggler doesn't sit on his ship and manage things. He goes out to find information...

...and to find people who might need said information to sell to. This is an opportunity for you to do both of those and make some connections if you want to do something about the Sith out there that you don't trust."

Pausing then, he let what he had said fall into the heavy silence of the room for a long moment before turning back to Link and Yaoksi. "And to get you guys all the way up to speed, we were just saying that now is the time to get on with our business concerning finding Tarnus...

...and Link, transciever should be ready for you to use," he confirmed. After all, his men should know that when he asked for something of that nature to be done, it should get done right away. "Whenever you are ready, I'll take you there. It's good to see you up and about," he then commented.

Pausing for a final time, Terrin turned to Kartan once more. "So, are you leaving now or not?" he asked pointedly, something of the stormcloud returning to his eyes.

--------------------

"Where's the horns, flyboy?"
~~Galen
It is a far greater thing to live a life with purpose and risk death than to simply live.~~CMH

Posts: 1186 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 76.122.52.178
Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 12-07-2008 12:06 PM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I stood stock still in the doorway where I had paused, eyeballing everyone in the room. Captain Danner's wife looked like she wanted to snap someone's head off -- presumably this guy Erik's -- while the good Captain himself seemed to be waffling back and forth between sympathy and siding with her.

My eyes narrowed, and I cocked my head, now letting my own vision grow a little fuzzy to better absorb the subtle nuances which were flying about like mynocks.

Galen -- no guesswork about her in any way shape or form. Nothing but a tough outer shell which more than likely hid an even tougher interior. No wonder she and Link seemed to get along, at least they seemed to during the flight coming here...

Terrin -- now here's a guy trying to make everything all hunky dory for everybody. I had watched his expression flash from one of sympathy to one of something between anger and extreme annoyance. Something about that was making my own eyes narrow even further...

Kyan, the Quiet -- now, him I couldn't read. He just stood there enveloped in a cloud of silence which could reflect emotions which were anything from acceptance to approval to a simple "let's wait and see how things develop" before any sort of judgment was passed. I kinda liked that...

Erik, the Stormcloud -- who this guy was and what history he had was beyond my ken, and I didn't really need to understand it. But there was something about his demeanor that reminded me of a little kid not getting his way; I don't know what in all the known universe triggered that reaction in me, but deep down in my gut my instincts were screaming to me that I probably was right in this assessment...

Not knowing what more to say or do, I just let my grin lessen to one reflective of the atmosphere, and nodded in general greeting to everyone. Beside me Link was just as quiet, her quick mind undoubtedly running through personal assessments of her own.

I then simply leaned against the door frame, wishing to the end of time and back that I had my ship in one piece, so I could at least offer something positive to help alleviate the dangerous gloom. For I could pilot a ship, and I knew how to effectively use a blaster.

Without either I felt about as useful as a second tail on a womprat.

[ 12-07-2008 12:10 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Yaoksi Joao ]

--------------------

Cel

Really Nice Member

Member # 697

posted 12-07-2008 04:47 PM     Profile for Cel   Author's Homepage   Email Cel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Link wasn't paying to much attention to the room or its occupants, her mind kept wandering to the med droid's assessment of her condition.

Do I really want this arm? How could anyone want this? Well there where some freaks that would dispose of perfectly good parts to be “mechanically superior”. I don't know if I can ever fully want this thing... but maybe not wanting to be a cripple is enough for me to accept it.

Earlier when the med droid and Yaoksi wasn't looking Link found a data card with the schematics for her arm, probably left over from the surgery, and palmed it for further reading later. Now she felt a small satisfaction that using her new arm with no sensation in its hand she was able to steal a data card without the droid noticing and Yaoksi either, or at least he didn't care.

At least its functional enough that I can still palm small objects without breaking them or being seen.

Pocketing the data card in one of the interior pockets of her duster Link turned her attention toward the room of people.

“Its good to do something other then get shot at, poisoned, or operated on,” Link said. “It won't take long to make my modifications to your transceiver. We should go whenever your ready, after I modify it connect to my data pad then hopefully connect to and com links that are near it one of you guys should be there to talk with the Sith or whoever is on the other end.”

Turning her head away from the others Link saw Erik was oblivious to the conversations going on around them. Looking closer he had the “look”, Link had seen it many times in various cantinas across the galaxy. Smugglers usually had the “look” when they just blew a job, got their ship impounded by the imperials, or when their former boss put a price on their head. Usually accompanying the “look” was a seemingly bottomless mug of some alcoholic beverage, at least until they ran out of credits.

Often times Link would target this group because they tended to take every credit to their name and drink them away, Assuming th cute naive little ryn persona it was easy to distract them and make them cheerful enough for her to pickpocket their credits then leave. Adopting this old persona minus naive, minus pickpocketing motive, Link strolled over to the chair Erik occupied.

“Hi,” Link said cheerfully. “I'm Link freelance slicer, and thief.”

Link offered her hand in handshake, but when she saw she held out her mechanical arm quickly retracted it and offer the other.

--------------------

Erik Kartan

Corellian Info Smuggler and Pilot

Member # 129

posted 12-09-2008 08:55 PM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Lost in his own thoughts, Erik was surprised when the Ryn came up and addressed him. Mentally sitting up and taking notice of her then, the littlestormcloud which was forming in his mind dissapated just a bit. As she stuck out her prosthetic hand to shake his then quickly withdrew it for her natural one, a little something whispered in his mind that, Hey, here was someone who appeared to be having some rough times herself...

...and was trucking along regardless.

"Ahhh, hello," he then commented, accepting her hand and shaking it. "Slicer?" he then said, quirking a brow in interest. "Always nice to meet a good one of those," he said genuinely.

Pausing then, he turned back to Terrin, who was striving to maintain a neutral expression but still appeared to be somewhat irritated.

"And you're right, maybe I should hang around...

...and tap back into Stargazer's resources while I'm at it to change some passcodes..."

He trailed, wavering for the barest of moments before continuing. "...to ensure tat nobody else taps into our databanks."

Falling silent then, his mind wandered for another brief moment, knowing exactly who he didn't want tapping back into the Stargazer system...

...as well as why.

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!
My heart is broken....sweet sleep my Dark Angel... Evanescence, "My Heart is Broken"

Posts: 447 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Aug 2001  |  Logged: 76.122.52.178
Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 12-10-2008 11:58 AM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"Well... all righty, then!"

I quickly uncrossed my arms, gave a definitive nod to everyone, and straightened.

"Now that we've finally gotten our little group assembled, don'tcha think it's time to get this show on the road?"

I moved off to one side, to a compartment where I had stored the data-padd Link had kept her notes on during our trip from the Wild Planet to Hornett. I handed this to her, smiling to see her up and about, hale and incredibly whole despite the obvious discomfort she still held on to concerning her arm.

She'll get over this, I know she will. She's tough...

"We had quite a little speculative chat en route here," I opened with.

((OOC: See page 10, Into The Blue in the "CSWU" forums, thank you))

"Link kept good notes; maybe you'd like to bring everybody up on the same page now?"

I fell silent then, putting aside my rising worry about our companions on Khar Delba--

--as well as trying to shove back the concern that during the entirety of our brief exchange with them nothing but the most minimal peep was mentioned about Panthar, Matt, and Shayla. The latter we had been filled in about; well, somewhat that is, considering that in the telling only greater questions had been raised.

But...

But what had become of Matt and Panthar? Did they make it safely to K'eel Doba... and if so, had they managed to--

I cut off that train of thought smack in the bud. No use adding even more worrisome speculation to the mountain of it we had already generated; I'm sure we could discover the answers I was seeking, if and when we ourselves finally hit K'eel Doban soil.

I let a sigh of comingled frustration and trepidation escape me before forcing away this additional worry. All would reveal itself in the end, as the Jedi are so wont to say; I could only hope that revelation would prove to be something good for a change.

[ 12-10-2008 01:04 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Galen ]

--------------------

Posts: 1455 | From: | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.117.195
Cel

Really Nice Member

Member # 697

posted 12-13-2008 10:20 PM     Profile for Cel   Author's Homepage   Email Cel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Link was unsure if Galen's suggestion to get the group on the same page was directed to her or not, but decided to proceed under the assumption that it was directed at her.

“Um... sure,” Link answered. “Hold on a moment.”

Opening the data pad Link brought up the diagram she had made during their last group theory session, with a few commands Link filtered out all the information that was speculation and theory leaving behind the facts of what they knew. Finding a vidscreen on one of the walls of the office Link interfaced the data pad with it transferring the diagram to the vidscreen for everyone to see. Taking a deep breath Link adopted the persona she used for when advising clients on jobs they wanted her to carry out.

“Here is what we know,” Link started.

Link told them what they knew about the current situation mostly focusing on the Jedi and Sith loss of powers, who both she and Yaoksi ended up on the planet with the vong tech, the ship they found, the vong tech on the planet, the history of the vong as they knew it, and the what happened on the planet with the vong tech. She left out most of the theories they came up with so the new people to this conversation would either reinforce what they already believed or if they had anything that would change their minds.

“So far that is what we know about the current situation,” said Link. “After the transceiver id up and running, I'll start with slicing the records of defense contractors to see if the we can dig up more information on whether the vong are getting assistance from them and to find out what technology we used in the previous war against them. And as soon as we locate the Imperial General Galen knows of we can move ahead with planning how to break into the Imperial Intelligence archives for more information as well. That will be 300,000 credits... I mean...”

Link was so caught up with presenting the information to them to them like they where clients she had mentally calculated the cost of all the information and charged them her standard rate without realizing it.

“Forget the credits,” Link answered. “I got caught up with the way I usually conduct business that I attached a price tag to it.

--------------------

Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 12-16-2008 08:43 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
My brows rose at Link's little announcement, and it was only with the greatest of efforts that I kept the smile that was crooking my lips to a minimum.

"Are we going to be able to afford her?" I asked, now turning to Terrin with a meaningful look.

"I mean, yeah, she's thrown her lot in with us, but by doing so it looks like she might be putting herself at a disadvantage where it comes to her former line of work."

I turned back to Link.

"Assuming of course, that said line of work was a steady one, which is what we're offerring you here. Right, Terrin?"

A slight cough from the doorway captured my attention, which was then drawn over to Captain Danner. Drat, but I'd suffered a momentary brain burp, and forgot that he and Link seemed to be coming as a pair. Somehow I didn't think he'd fit into Eagle Enterprises as hired staff; more like, ummm... contracted assistance.

Whatever; the two came together, of that I was fairly certain. I turned back to Terrin, deepening my look.

"I'm sure you've already thought of some means of compensation, right hon?" I said lightly.

--------------------

Posts: 1455 | From: | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.117.195
Cel

Really Nice Member

Member # 697

posted 12-17-2008 07:31 PM     Profile for Cel   Author's Homepage   Email Cel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Not giving Terrin a chance to respond Link chimed in on their conversation.

"No really," interrupted Link. "You don't have to worry about paying me, that would have been a starter quote that would have eventually be bargained down, and you already paid me in advance in a way."

Link slowly reached over and grabbed the wrist of her artificial arm to reinforce her point.

Besides they are the first people to treat me more then just a thing.

"Don't take this the wrong way either, but I don't need your money. I charged that amount because I could, and it felt good in a way because they where the same kind of people that use to enslave me. Now they where begging me for my skills, willing to shell out money to a ryn and they didn't even know it. But, the feeling never lasted long."

Link slowly moved back to Yaoksi's side, leaned up against the bulkhead and wrapped her tail around his arm.

"I don't know if you can ever understand it or not, but what you've done for me is enough payment."

--------------------

Posts: 328 | From: Oregon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  Logged: 64.255.180.61
Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 12-17-2008 09:37 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Terrin listened to Link intently, sitting forward a bit with a slight smile as Link wrapped her tail around one of Yaoksi's arms. "Well, repayment can come in more than just credits...

...and you and your skills are invaluable. And I might add that we owe Captain Joao something that is a long, long time overdue."

Terrin paused, now turning a meaningful look Yaoksi's way. "We were talking about a fighter at one time...

...but now it seems you are in need of a ship."

He smiled more broadly. "Seems you've found yourself in the right place for that to be arranged." Pausing, Terrin shifted to return his gaze to Link. "And I'm certain there is some sort of equipment you might be in need of, and not just for the tasks at hand."

Standing then, Terrin came around the desk, motioning towards the door. "Speaking of which, why don't we head on to the transcievers...

...and then take a look and see about getting you a ship Captain Joao. I know it'll never be your Devil but..."

He quieted a final time, smiling the smile of someone who loved a slick ship with even slicker modifications, "...I'm sure we can give whatever a tweak here and there to make her work out for you."

[ 12-17-2008 09:39 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Terrin Danner ]

--------------------

~~Galen
It is a far greater thing to live a life with purpose and risk death than to simply live.~~CMH

Posts: 1186 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 76.122.52.178
Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 12-19-2008 12:03 PM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I unraveled myself from my position in the doorframe, as within me the sense of helplessness and feeling not like much more than a fifth wheel was immediately supplanted by rising happiness at the words Captain Danner was speaking.

Finally! I couldn't help but think to myself as, patting Link's tail where it yet curled about my arm I let a broad smile light up my face. Then I caught myself, remembering our situation, and forced my features into something a little less joyous in appearance.

"That would be just... great," I replied, fumbling a little for words even as my mind began whirling at the specifications I was already thinking of. I cast a look down at Link.

"I'm sure you can help me outfit my new ship...

"...and christen her, too."

I gave her a wink at the latter, for I really thought she deserved the honor, and hoped that by this little gesture she realized I meant every word of it. It was true that whatever the group of us came up with would never be my dear ol' Devil, but something told me it was going to be...

Better.

I could hardly wait to get into her, ready and able to lend all assistance where necessary to our cause. I was really getting rather tired of being nothing more than a "drag-along," after all. But I refrained from acting too much like a kid on Boonta Eve and forced myself into polite silence, waiting for Captain Danner to give the final word.

[ 12-19-2008 12:05 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Yaoksi Joao ]

--------------------

Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 12-20-2008 01:00 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Terrin couldn't completely erase the smile that was tugging at the corner of his lips at Captain Joao's effort to not seem too enthusiastic.

"Allright then, let's get to it," he said at last, motioning everyone to follow as he headed towards the door of the office, allowing all to exit as he then began walking them through a maze of corridors and turbolifts. In no time, however,they found themselves at the transciever room, where all was reset back to factory modifications as requested. After taking a bit of time to make sure everything was acceptable for Link to get to doing "her thing," knowing she would know how to contact them when she was done, Terrin turned to Yaoksi once more. "You can go pick out something that suits you, then you and Link can discuss any sorts of specifications you'd both like," he indicated, motioning once more for everyone to follow him once more as he began to lead them through another series of mazes, corridors, and turbolifts.

At length they ended up in a ship-filled docking area, but not the main one. This area had seemingly every sort of ship make and model one could think of, from small to large and fast to faster, modest to sleek styles and all sorts of colors and designs.

Terrin waved a hand to indicate the docking area in its entirety as he turned to Yaoksi once more. "Anything you'd like," he then said, happy to at last be able to make good on his promise.

--------------------

~~Galen

Erik Kartan

Member # 129

posted 12-20-2008 01:03 PM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
As they all entered the docking area and Terrin indicated Yaoksi pick whatever he liked, Erik cleared his throat.

"Ahhh, maybe now would be a good time for me to go ahead and pay up and link back up with Stargazer Corporation so we can use her resources...

...and I can regain access to some ships other than the TIE fighter I came here in?" he asked, quirking a brow, and remembering with a jolt that just about every ship in the company's ownership, excepting the one he used himself that was long since gone, was painted silver and purple...

[ 12-20-2008 01:04 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Erik Kartan ]

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!
My heart is broken....sweet sleep my Dark Angel... Evanescence, "My Heart is Broken"

Posts: 447 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Aug 2001  |  Logged: 76.122.52.178
Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 12-20-2008 01:12 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Terrin pursed his lips and nodded in agreement with Erik, turning then to Aaron and quirking a brow, silently inquiring for him to handle matters with Erik. Aaron nodded once in understanding.

"We'll be back shortly," he then stated simply, motioning for Erik to come with him as he did precisely that and they departed the docking area.

Terrin then turned back to Yaoksi, who had the look on his face that a spacer gets when offered any sort of ship his heart might desire, and eagerly waited for him to take a gander at what was available.

--------------------

~~Galen

Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 12-21-2008 10:45 PM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
He didn't have to ask me twice.

Feeling not unlike a kid who has just been given carte blanche in a candy shop, I took a hesitant step out onto the great, shining deck. This was followed by another one, a little faster this time. And another, and yet another until pretty soon I was all but jogging into the midst of the myriad ships which beckoned unto me like... well...

Like said candy whispering into the ears of the above-mentioned kid.

I didn't know where to start. I mean, this was a grand little group of ships, ranging from small one-man fighters to corvettes capable of carrying fighters within them. I was a bit partial to the latter, and was making a beeline toward a pretty little light corvette when something farther down the line caught my attention. I paused a moment, cocking my head and squinting to see it better when I suddenly realized that I wasn't having difficulties making it out because of distance or shadows.

It was the paint which coated it's sleek hull...

A grin began to spread across my face as, now jogging in earnest, I headed toward the mysterious ship. I came to a stop in front of it, craning my head back and putting a hand on her hull in something akin to reverence.

I'd heard of these...

It was something new, an extremely updated version of the old YT series, and I couldn't help but hold my breath in awe before it's bold beauty.

Damn if it isn't one of those new YT-3000s...

I'd heard whispers of their existence, rumors running around the Rim worlds. It was said that the original Corellian designs for the YT-2400 had been purchased, their price so dear peeps could only speculate as to what it was, by the Kuat Shipyards. That in itself didn't surprise me much; fates knew if any ship-building corporation could afford such a thing, it was the yards on Kuat. And in those shipyards all primary resemblance to the YT-2400 was put to rest.

Her primary hull was still saucer-shaped, as was with the 2400 and 1300 series, but now bore a bit of eccentricity to it, making it's overall look one of slender viciousness. It's command pod, rather than being on the starboard, was below and a bit to the aft, and was likewise "slenderized." Twin heavy ion propulsion engines thrust their bulk from the back of the saucer; my eyes about fell from my head when I saw that configuration, for with such engines so close to the command pod I knew her shielding had to be loaded for bear.

The remainder was gravy: two laser cannons, not one, not two, but three escapepods, a rounded bump that looked suspiciously like... a gravity field generator??? No, that couldn't be... could it?

I peered more closely at the bump; dang, but it seemed to be so. I'd have to get K'kihl to take a gander at this; meanwhile, maybe Captain Danner had a clue about it. Logic told me that there was simply no way that a ship of this size could drum up the energy to support a gravity field generator, but then there had been those whispers out on the Rim. Lordy lordy but Kuat could be awful tight-lipped about their design modifications, too...

I ran my fingers along the hull again, relishing the rich, deeply shaded evergreen that was her color, the color of the forest on Endor at twilight, you know, almost black, almost green, both tones just ready to disappear against the encroaching darkness. This color was quite unique; I'd not seen another ship like it, and my heart fell to the deck at my feet in homage to this little baby.

Yup, this was the one.

I practically floated back to Captain Danner, a sappy smile still glued on my puss.

"I'm not asking questions, you don't have to tell me anything about how you got her, but if that pretty little YT-3000 out there is space-legal, and if you'll let me modify her as I wish, I think that would do me pretty good," I gushed, jerking a thumb over my shoulder in what I hoped was a casual manner but which in my heart I knew failed miserably.

Like I said: kid in a candy shop...

[ 12-21-2008 10:48 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Yaoksi Joao ]

--------------------

Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 12-21-2008 11:31 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The smile tugged at the corners of Terrin's lips again. "She's legal," he responded, "And like I said before, whatever modifications you and Link decide on...

...you got 'em."

He paused then, taking a better look at the ship Yaoksi was indicating, noting that the Captain had good taste in ships...

... very good taste. "Ahhh, she's one of the only smaller ships ever made with a gravity well generator," Terrin commented. "Granted the well is a rather small one and it feeds off an extra generator within the ship so as not to pull too much power from the engines but...

...might be a feature that could come in handy."

Terrin paused then, considering the ship for another moment as he pursed his lips. "Let me get the lock code for her so you can take a look inside too," he said then, reaching for his wrist comm and keying something in. After a few moments of that, he looked up once more, motioning for Yaoksi to follow as he headed for the YT-3000, stopping in front of her to key a string of digits into her lock pad.

The hatch slid smoothly and obligingly open, and Terrin simply stepped back and waited for Yaoski to give the ship a once-over from the inside, if for nothing more than to see what it looked like, and at the most to begin deciding on any particular modifications he might want.

--------------------

~~Galen

Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 12-22-2008 12:13 AM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I clambered aboard the craft drooling like a nek after a bone, and headed immediately to the cockpit in the forward command pod. There I took a quick look-see...

Hmmm. She can hit lightspeed, but that's it; I'll have to see about a hyperdrive system being installed...

Yup; twin laser cannon... and wahoo, wouldja take a look at that, she's got meson missiles as well, whaddya know, those can punch through durasteel like an old projectile bullet through an eggshell...

Upgraded inertial dampeners, good, that means smooth flights... single pilot operational, better than the old YT-2400 which needed two... shield deflectors that can eat gamma rays, now that meesa be likin' just fine... and wow, the latest in med-droids, although the medbay is a bit on the small side...

Down her specs list I went, checking out her basics before heading out to do a visual on her. Coming about amidships of the command pod I found the connection to the main saucer; breezing up a connecting ladder I poked my head up and took a look around myself.

Everything was slick and gleaming and shining. Immediately I recognized the primary podal design of this ship, but saw likewise that those individual pods had been affixed in a much more efficient manner than previously. This meant there was more room for things like hidden compartments...

And maybe a nice, secreted maintenance shaft or two could be placed somewhere within her, so a person could sneak from here to there without being seen...

Mental note number two.

I got to my feet and wandered quickly about. Within the primary saucer I found the aforementioned med-bay, the galley, at least four private quarters and one larger, communal one; a small but well-equipped gym--

Interesting, that last one!

--and something that could be nothing other than a tiny rec room. It had cushioned chairs and tiny tables bolted to the deck, and to the back of it was a huge transparent titanium window, looking out onto the stars. Ok, so it looked out onto the ship next in line to her, but you get the main idea.

That is just too nice, I smiled to myself as I hastened back to the ladder and descended, to then exit the ship and return to Captain Danner.

"All I can see for the time being that she'd need is a hyperdrive generator, and maybe if some of those connecting cargo pods can be modified into a connecting shaft, ahhh... for maintenence purposes, you understand, in case we have to get from one part of the ship to another in a really big hurry, heh, that would be nice..."

I stopped a moment, chewing on my cheek as I thought some more.

"Maybe a tractor beam generator, ya never know... and then I'm sure Link has some ideas she'd like, we'll have to ask her... oh yeah, can we beef up her cannon a bit; laser cannons are nice, but if one of 'em could be a touch heavier, ya never know when you're gonna run into pirates out there... and, oh yeah, if you could install an auxilliary control station in the main saucer, we'd have to pick out a good place for it, that would be super, I've seen too many good ships go utterly useless when their bridges or cockpits get blasted even though there's still operational ship left..."

I rambled to a halt, running down like a tired watch as I realized I was probably asking for way, way too much. Smiling awkwardly, I changed the subject.

"Could you contact Link and see if she'd like to take a break and come here and see this baby? I'd kind of like to have her input, you know, see what she thinks of her..."

I ran down again into another awkward silence, and stood there wanting nothing more than to run back into that beautiful, beautiful ship, to stake out a berth in her for the night so as to really, truly make her mine.

[ 12-22-2008 12:32 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Yaoksi Joao ]

--------------------

Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 12-22-2008 12:47 AM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Terrin smiled and nodded, quickly keying in the frequency to the transciever room where Link was working. "Hey, Link, Captain Danner here. Captain Joao is hoping you'll take a break and look at the ship he's picked out and help him decide on modifications. We're in the primary ship storage docking area; although I'm sure you can work your way here after taking a look at maps on the Hornett's system I can send someone to help you find your way if you need."

Sending the message off, Terrin turned to Yaoksi, nodding in the direction of the ship as he did so. "Time to hand over her lock code to you so you can change it to your own," Terrin commented then, proceeding by doing just that. "Until Link arrives, she's all yours, Captain Joao. And speaking of..."

He paused then, keying something else into his commlink before speaking into it. "This is Captain Danner, in the primary ship storage docking area, pad 1138. I need the head maitainance tech and a team here ASAP to start working on some modifications for the ship's new owner."

Getting a positive reply to that, Terrin only had to wait a mere minute for the main tech to arrive, whereupon he requested that every single modification Yaoksi asked for be put into action, and that the team shoud be ready in case anything further was needed.

--------------------

~~Galen

Erik Kartan

Member # 129

posted 12-22-2008 01:01 AM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
After paying to regain ownership of Stargazer Corporation at a fee which was twenty percent more than his selling price, Erik turned to the dreaded task of contacting his employees as the new, sole owner of the company. He knew they would ask about Shayla, and someone did. He left it at nothing more than Shayla would not be returning. They didn't need to know that she had left him. They didn't need to know that he was afraid of what she may be doing. And they didn't need to know what he was considering doing himself.

At least not yet.

Turning from the comm unit then, Erik stood and rejoined Aaron Barnes where he was waiting. "I will, at some point, need to get back to the Starlight and make the buy-back official," he commented, "But for now they know and business will continue as usual."

He paused then as Barnes arched an eyebrow, as if to ask what he intended to do now. "I suppose now is the time to rejoin Captain Danner and Galen and see just how I can help them find Tarnus...

...if at the very least that means flying a ship or lending a helping hand. All in all, it means I'll be gathering some information that I can sell at a price later on, and use for my own benefit as well."

Going no further with that, Erik trailed a moment, and his deep brown eyes deepened with a tinge of pain. "And maybe in the meantime I can give you some business with painting some of the Corp's main ships, since they are all purple and silver..."

[ 12-22-2008 01:02 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Erik Kartan ]

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!

Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 12-22-2008 11:33 AM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I followed the tech team around the 3000, both pointing out and taking suggestions as we went along. It turned out that the cannon were just about as powerful as they could be made, considering the size of the ship's initial power source; to turbo-charge the lasers would mean a major, major engine refit. They could do it, they said, but it would take some time...

And time was something I didn't feel we had much of at the moment.

So I settled for the laser cannon she came with, taking comfort that at least her missile launchers would be a surprise to somebody out there...

And speaking of surprises...

"You know this baby is a prototype," the chief engineer announced as we looked over her spec list for the umpteenth time.

"I think they were going to make a line of these, but decided that Corellia was making enough of the 2000 series, and since the 3000 was a bit... expensive to produce, thought their resources could go to better use elsewhere.

"I hear they destroyed their design plans; no one really knows just how they managed to put a gravity field generator on such a small ship, but they sure as hell did.."

I nodded enthusiastically; indeed, it was just that unexpected little touch that sold me on this ship. While maybe a corvette was a bit more maneuverable overall, it couldn't stop someone from going to lightspeed like this baby could. And the icing on the cake was the fact that because of the intense engineering involved to place said field generator on this craft, there was power enough to put a really souped-up hyperdrive on her.

She's gonna be faster than "Devil..."

My smile broadened. I could hardly wait for Link to get here.

--------------------

All times are CT
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e