my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
»  The Holonet Boards   » Role Playing   » Empire and New Republic   » The Dream of Those That Wake (Page 9)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Printable Version
Author Topic: The Dream of Those That Wake
Thoran

Really Nice Member

Member # 493

posted 11-22-2006 12:28 PM     Profile for Thoran   Author's Homepage   Email Thoran     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Thoran raised his eyebrows at the captain, then relaxed.

“Of course!” he said.

He followed Aaron into the bar. The captain took a seat beside Yaoksi, who had gone unnoticed until now, and held up two fingers. The bartender pulled out a bottle of vile looking liquid and two glasses with ice.

Thoran held up his hand. “For me, I think something a little lighter this time.”

The bartender cocked an eyebrow and pulled out another bottle, this one containing a light brown liquid.

“Even lighter,” said Thoran.

The bartender shrugged and filled Thoran’s glass with water.

“That’s the ticket,” Thoran smiled. He took the drink and turned to the captain.

“I have a high metabolism,” he said. “But it hasn’t been used in a while. I think I need to give it break. I ordered up some food earlier, but by the gods I don’t remember eating it.”

--------------------

The ancients are not the oldest, nor the wisest.

Posts: 265 | From: Urbandale, IA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  Logged: 12.106.111.10
Yaoksi Joao

Smuggler Extraordinaire and All-Around Good Guy

Member # 126

posted 11-22-2006 01:26 PM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I was smack in the middle of taking a hearty swig of my drink, when who should come lollygagging up to join me at the bar but the big red Sith Lord. Not only that, but he was at the side of Captain Barnes, and wearing a grin as big as all outdoors.

It was all I could do to keep from choking.

Has four hours passed already? I wondered to myself as I set my glass smoothly down upon the gleaming greelwood bar. A furtive glance at my chrono clarified matters for me.

Nope, not nearly that yet. I still have time for a quick nap before checking with K'kihl about Devil's progress; can't really up and offer her as our transportation to the Sith worlds -- and the Blockade-- unless she's back to her usual ship-shapeliness.

I forced my involuntary grimace back into something resembling a smile and hitched the stool I was sitting on a bit to one side. The Big Red Guy was...

Well... big.

"I'm just having a nightcap before crawling off for a little sacktime myself, but you guys are welcome to join me," I offered, keeping my tone light as I raised my glass once more to my lips, waggling my brows at Aaron as I did so.

--------------------

"Hey! It's not my fault!"

Posts: 607 | From: Midwest | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 205.188.117.65
Aaron Barnes

Owner of Eagle Enterprises

Member # 414

posted 11-22-2006 04:08 PM     Profile for Aaron Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Aaron Barnes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Aaron took a good sip of the Whyrene's Reserve that was placed in front of him. "Yeah, hitting the sack sounds like a good plan," he agreed, "But I'm not sure how much rest I'm going to get, all things considered."

Pausing at that, Aaron took another drink. And the look in Yaoksi's eyes finally registered in his brain. He turned to Thoran.

"You having some trouble resting yourself? After all, we only spoke with you around ninety standard minutes ago, and it sounds like you've been up and about once already."

Pausing again, Aaron then called to the bartender. "Can you fill this man's order?" he queried, nodding towards Thoran. "Seems he was hoping for some food he requested earlier, but never got."

--------------------

Never trust a scoundrel.

Posts: 384 | From: On the Hornett or ship-dealing elsewhere | Registered: Jan 2003  |  Logged: 68.214.87.148
Thoran

Really Nice Member

Member # 493

posted 11-22-2006 04:17 PM     Profile for Thoran   Author's Homepage   Email Thoran     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Thoran smiled at the bartended and took another swig of water.

“And maybe set me up with another one of these?”

He looked over to Yaoksi and waved.

“Sleep sounded really good a while ago,” he said. “But not now. Not when there’s a dream waiting around the corner. I haven’t slept in… well, I can’t remember how long it’s been. And now I’m back in a form that requires it, and I forgot about the dreams. Don’t want the dreams.”

He smiled again, looking at Aaron.

“So, captain, how long do we have before reaching the Sith worlds? And have you devised a plan to deal with the blockade?”

--------------------

Posts: 265 | From: Urbandale, IA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  Logged: 172.146.96.130
Aaron Barnes

Member # 414

posted 11-22-2006 04:56 PM     Profile for Aaron Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Aaron Barnes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"We have around 7 standard hours before we arrive," Aaron responded to Thoran's question regarding their proximity to the Sith worlds. "As for a plan to deal with the Imperials...

...yes, one is in place."

At least, he hoped it was in place.

Not deigning to inform Thoran any further of the plan at that particular time, Aaron took another drink, and looked back towards Yaoksi, arching an eyebrow a bit in unvoiced communication.

He hoped the other man could read between the lines and answer his unspoken question.

--------------------

Never trust a scoundrel.

Posts: 384 | From: On the Hornett or ship-dealing elsewhere | Registered: Jan 2003  |  Logged: 68.214.87.148
Cel

Really Nice Member

Member # 697

posted 11-22-2006 05:15 PM     Profile for Cel   Author's Homepage   Email Cel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"Credits are never a problem when I'm around, except when they only take paper currency."

I pulled out my data pad and brought up a schematic of the ship and glanced over it to see the best place for food.

"Well there's the standard cafiteria, then there is a food court area of the ship. Mostly filled with bars and cantinas, but the food and drink is more exotic then what your use to."

Personaly the bars sound better, although it was a long shot one of them might have roasted katarn. Wookies alwayes served the best food.

"I suggest the bars."

--------------------

Creator of Adrianna Joao (Cel, "Link"), Kyan Jetiis'ad (Deceased), Kani Jetiis'ad, Bes'in Skirata

Posts: 328 | From: Oregon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  Logged: 65.184.238.14
Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 11-22-2006 05:27 PM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Peering over the rim of my glass I kept a peeper peeled on Aaron, paying half attention to what he was saying while my head whirled with what in all the blue blazes he was trying to convey to me.

Seriously, I hadn't a clue.

I raised my brows to their limit, lowered them in a glowering frown and then let them relax, setting my drink down on the bar as I did so.

"Umm... yeah," I offerred a bit inanely, wincing as the Big Red Guy turned his sparkling interest my way.

"We should be able to get past the blockade... only remember, in something perhaps a little bit less, er...

"Ostentatious, don't you think Aaron?"

I grinned with a shrug of my shoulders, then reached for my glass, which to my dismay I found more empty than full.

And here I always thought of myself as an optimist!

[ 11-22-2006 05:28 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Yaoksi Joao ]

--------------------

Aaron Barnes

Member # 414

posted 11-22-2006 05:36 PM     Profile for Aaron Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Aaron Barnes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Aaron lowered the mug of Whyrene's from his lips. "Yes, especially since I'm captaining a Super Star Destroyer that belongs to someone who would and now could brain me if I didn't take care of her."

He quieted a moment, his look darkening. "Terrin was always better at captaining her. And dealing with these sorts of situations."

Now frowning, still not certain of how much he should divulge to Thoran, he continued a bit further. "We've got some information the Imps might be interested in. As it stands I'm hoping they'll be interested enough in it to give us passage to go find some good friends, and not so interested they decide they'd rather rattle us for whatever we're worth and leave us at square one."

--------------------

Never trust a scoundrel.

Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 11-22-2006 05:55 PM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"Yeah," I said, once more sounding as inane as a Toydarian without cash as I spiraled from being something less than enthusiastic down toward utter gloom. To be honest, I really wanted to help, and offerring Devil was the only thing I could think of in that arena.

But, dammitall, she'd just gotten herself blown to high heaven, just gotten herself fixed -- at least I assumed so, knowing the ol' Cricket as I did -- and the thought of her possibly falling into Imperial hands didn't make me the happiest of campers.

Then lightning, weird beastie that it could be, came arrowing in out of the blue and zapped me square between the eyes. I climbed up from my virtual fall, and turned to the still smiling Thoran.

"Hey pal," I began, my own eyes beginning to sparkle as a growing excitement filled me.

"You've got some kind of magick with you, and you say you want to help us. Why don't you just kill two opees with one spear and pop us over where we want to go? That just might be the quickest way to get to our friends--

"--not to mention the only way I can think of to slip in there under the Empire's nose."

[ 11-22-2006 05:56 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Yaoksi Joao ]

--------------------

Thoran

Really Nice Member

Member # 493

posted 11-22-2006 06:07 PM     Profile for Thoran   Author's Homepage   Email Thoran     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Thoran paused with his glass to his lips. He thought for a moment, and set it back on the counter.

“The magicks I possess are the ways of the Sith,” he said. “But my power stretches beyond the abilities of other Sith. Indeed, I can take you there, but it must be via another realm. A realm which is dark, which can drive you mad with the evil it harbors. If you stray but a step from the path I walk, or give in to the madness that will surround you, then your very soul could be forfeit. In this realm live the most evil, most vile and treacherous monsters to ever spawn into existence.”

Thoran knocked back the remainder of his drink and wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. Grimacing, he turned to Yaoksi.

“But hey, it’s the only way to get there. When should we leave?”

--------------------

Posts: 265 | From: Urbandale, IA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  Logged: 172.146.96.130
Aaron Barnes

Member # 414

posted 11-22-2006 06:23 PM     Profile for Aaron Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Aaron Barnes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Aaron's look darkened. "Hey, I'd like to be in one piece when I go after my friends," he opened with, "And I'd like anyone who decides to go along with me to be in one piece too. Now, I'm not thrilled with the Imperials, and I might end up in an Imperial prison trying to deal with them...

...but then again, maybe not. What you're talking about walking us through to get to everyone...

...it doesn't sound very much like a way I want to take to get them back here."

Pausing at that, something else occurred to Aaron. "You know, I hope the Imperials would be nice enough to let us out of the blockade as well as in it..."

--------------------

Never trust a scoundrel.

Thoran

Really Nice Member

Member # 493

posted 11-22-2006 06:27 PM     Profile for Thoran   Author's Homepage   Email Thoran     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"Hey, I understand if you don't want to go through the Darker Realms, but it would only be for a few seconds. Surely we'd have at least a 50/50 chance of not being noticed. What chance will the Impies give you?"

--------------------

Aaron Barnes

Member # 414

posted 11-22-2006 06:35 PM     Profile for Aaron Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Aaron Barnes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
His gaze looking very troubled, Aaron shrugged. "Well, they did let Shawn through the blockade. Perhaps we should try the more 'usual' route then use the alternative route if all does not go well with the Imperials? After all, we do have some information I think they should have...

...on someone that I don't think I have any qualms whatsoever about turning over to the Empire, all things considered."

--------------------

Never trust a scoundrel.

Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 11-22-2006 06:50 PM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"Hey, wait a minute, wait a minute...!"

I stuck my arms out ala-referee mode, bringing the back and forth to a momentary stop. When I had captured both gents' attention, I went on.

"Aaron, I was going to offer the services of my ship to take us to this blockade, and hopefully on to the Sith world where our friend here says Terrin and Galen are. But I want to be completely honest in that I surely do feel a tad bit uncomfortable in the offerring. I mean, yeah, I'm certain we'd be accepted into the blockade without being blasted to smithereens, no problem.

"It's the getting out that concerns me."

I paused for breath, motioned the others to come closer and hunkered down a bit in my chair. Leaning forward I went on, my voice low.

"Look Aaron, that information we've got is probably of way interest to the Imps. Possibly of interest enough that they'd believe us in our honest attempt to use this as barter for passage to and from the Sith world.

"But what if they don't take us at our word? What if they think we're making up something outrageous; I mean, c'mon, taking out Coruscant fer Galaxy's sake!!"

I sputtered to a quick stop, letting that improbable thought sink in, watching Thoran's face from the corner of my eye as his eyes widened. Whether in response to the content of my words or the theatrical way I had spewed them, whose to say?

Onward I continued.

"If this is something of importance to the Imps, whose to say they won't just take it, commandeer my ship, and stick all of us away to where the sun don't shine? I dunno, it just seems to me that there's gonna come a better time to let them know about what we found than right now, trying to get down to a world that really no one is supposed to even know about.

"Don't ya think?"

I started to draw to a close then, straightening back up but not without shooting a final comment out.

"I'm for the quick and sneaky way into this place, even though we have to go to whatever terrible place it is Thoran here is hinting about. But I have a pretty good idea; if I'm right, they've got honest to Pete demons there.

"I know, I've seen one right onboard this ship...! But I have faith that it's a quick step in, step out and there we are. Nice and quiet... and how we get back out again?

"Well, we've got Thoran here, don't we? Assuming that everything he's telling us is the ghod's truth, that is..."

Now I drew to a halt, leveling a completely intent stare Thoran's way.

--------------------

Thoran

Really Nice Member

Member # 493

posted 11-22-2006 10:50 PM     Profile for Thoran   Author's Homepage   Email Thoran     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
“Um, yeah,” Thoran started. “What he said.”

Thoran scratched his head, flaking something off of his horn.

“I must admit I don’t actually like the idea of going back to the Darker Realms, even for a few seconds. Sort of like sticking your head in on Tattooine in the summer to see if it’s still hot. No matter how short a time you’re there, you’re getting a sunburn. Then if someone you know sees you, you’re stuck there hearing about the kids and the trip to the pool. The thing is, the pool in the Darker Realms is filled with boiling blood. But hey, I’m there for ya.”

--------------------

Posts: 265 | From: Urbandale, IA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  Logged: 12.226.28.175
Aaron Barnes

Member # 414

posted 11-22-2006 11:11 PM     Profile for Aaron Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Aaron Barnes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Aaron kept himself from groaning.

Somehow.

"So this is supposed to be the better, more efficient, quicker way? Can you do this and get us to the other side safely or not? You were talking 50/50 chances...

...and now you're talking something that sounds like slim hopes. Which is it, cause I have friends on the other side, and I'd like to get to them. I haven't seen several of them in two or three years, after all...

...and one of them was dead. I'd like him to not be dead again any time soon, so this thing you're talking about is something you have to be certain of. After all, not only do I not want him to be dead...

...I don't want any of us here to join that state of being either."

--------------------

Never trust a scoundrel.

Thoran

Really Nice Member

Member # 493

posted 11-22-2006 11:17 PM     Profile for Thoran   Author's Homepage   Email Thoran     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
“Oh,” said Thoran, “I can do it. It’s just that you need to understand that nothing is certain, and we might be seen in those few seconds. I mean, if I actually WANTED to go into the Darker Realms again then I would have gone home that way instead of talking you into giving me a ride!”

Thoran stopped.

“Um, I mean… Well, look, your friends really are there, and you need to tell me how you want to get there.”

--------------------

Posts: 265 | From: Urbandale, IA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  Logged: 12.226.28.175
Aaron Barnes

Member # 414

posted 11-22-2006 11:51 PM     Profile for Aaron Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Aaron Barnes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Aaron sighed. "So my choices are to take on the Empire or take on a place filled with demons."

He paused, his look darkening, not liking any of the options in particular. "I suppose we should go through these Darker Realms and be done with it. After all, as much as I don't like this lady I'd like to turn over to the Empire, I don't care very much for dealing with the Empire either. Eagle Enterprises has been down that road before...

...and even considering it was just an Imperial Moff, that was quite more than enough."

He sighed again. "Let's just do it, be done with it...

...and get to everyone on Khar Delba. The search for them has gone on long enough...

...and if it were Terrin he'd already be out looking for me himself. I've waited entirely too long."

--------------------

Never trust a scoundrel.

Thea Morgan

Member # 349

posted 11-25-2006 04:43 PM     Profile for Thea Morgan   Author's Homepage   Email Thea Morgan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"The bars it is." Thea smiled at Cel and headed off beside her. "I could eat anything right about now." She skipped a little delighting in the freedom the dress allowed her, but something nagged at her. Glancing over at Cel she thought it was time someone heard about the last instructions Master Petrolu had given her. She felt guilty somehow that Cel agreed so readily with her that she would be a Jedi, that she was a Jedi.
"Cel. I have to tell you something. I never really told, well I never told anyone at all the real reason why Master Petrolu left me with Yaoksi. And well you should know, I... well he said that I wasn't ready. I was afraid to talk to someone he was trying to help. Actually for a while I was afraid of anyone who wasn't a Jedi. He told me that until I could accept that there were other good people, I couldn't be a Jedi. So he left me with Yaoksi to learn to get along with non-Jedis. So in a way I was being selfish asking you to teach me. I haven't forgotten that lesson. He never came back for me though he said he would and I've been hoping to find a different Jedi who wouldn't know my failure. But I don't think that will happen, I think if anything I'll find him again. I thought you should know. But please don't tell the others." Thea looked over at Cel wondering how she would react and hoping they could still stay friends.

--------------------

All I want is to be a Jedi.

Posts: 172 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2002  |  Logged: 74.33.231.191
Cel

Really Nice Member

Member # 697

posted 11-25-2006 05:32 PM     Profile for Cel   Author's Homepage   Email Cel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"Thea problem you have with the jedi has nothing to do with us. I did not teach you sabbacc and tell you about me because of some titlte that you have, I told you because you are someone who I chose to trust."

I started walking down the corridors of the ship heading towards the Bar.

"As for not telling the others, how could I not keep a secret from them if you ask. In a way I've trusted you with my life, You are one of the only people that know i'm Link. In most sectors of the galaxy I'm wanted, and not revealing information about me is a felony in most."

We reached one of the Bars, The Blue Astroid, I stopped outside and resumed my conversation with Thea.

"I think that you have learned alot lately that I don't see why your master wouldn't take back. You say that you use to be scared of non jedi, but look now, you trusted me a wanted criminal with what you just reveled, and are willing to learn about the less legal side of life. I call that progress."

--------------------

Creator of Adrianna Joao (Cel, "Link"), Kyan Jetiis'ad (Deceased), Kani Jetiis'ad, Bes'in Skirata

Posts: 328 | From: Oregon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  Logged: 65.184.238.14
Thoran

Really Nice Member

Member # 493

posted 11-26-2006 10:22 PM     Profile for Thoran   Author's Homepage   Email Thoran     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Thoran shrugged.

“Hey, works for me. I can do it, but the fewer people the better. The Sith are not trusting of outsiders, and if I brought in a whole bunch of you then I’d be in trouble. So, you two for sure, and maybe one or two more. So, when do you want to leave?”

--------------------

Posts: 265 | From: Urbandale, IA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  Logged: 12.216.65.48
Thea Morgan

Member # 349

posted 11-28-2006 08:44 PM     Profile for Thea Morgan   Author's Homepage   Email Thea Morgan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Thea quickly hugged Link. "Thank you! For as long as I can remember the only thing that made me feel significant at all was the thought that I would be a Jedi. It was my mom's greatest joy that I could go. I had barely been away a year when I was left with Yaoksi. And the longer its been since then the more I felt that I was worth nothing and I had let my parents down in the worst way by not being the Jedi they wanted me to be. The one I wanted to be. I guess I had given up on people liking me for me. Jedi has been the only definition I've ever had for myself. Your friendship means so much to me. I would never say anything about you to anyone you didn't want to know. I guess maybe I am starting to learn something after all, regardless of the future."

--------------------

All I want is to be a Jedi.

Posts: 172 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2002  |  Logged: 74.33.231.191
Aaron Barnes

Member # 414

posted 11-28-2006 10:05 PM     Profile for Aaron Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Aaron Barnes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Aaron pursed his lips thoughtfully. "The sooner, the bstter," he responded then. "I've been waiting around on this far too long as it is. Still, we will probably need some supplies and weapons...

...and then there's the matter of Thea and Cel. I don't really think the Sith worlds are a good place for Thea to be, especially iwth what she's been through...

...and she'd be safe here on the Hornett. Still, that's really something that is your call," he then added, nodding towards Yaoksi. "Other than that, we all probably should get at least a few hours of rest before we go anywhere, just so we'll be mentally and physically prepared when the time comes. So, what do you say we leave in about 4 standard hours?"

--------------------

Never trust a scoundrel.

Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 11-28-2006 10:15 PM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I was still giving Thoran a long look, waiting for him to clue in on what I was staring at him for. Tell the truth, his frivolous manner was starting to set the tiny hairs on the back of my neck to wriggling; snorting a bit, I reared back.

"Hey, what say we go now... and our buddy here can prove his worth by doing whatever voo-doo he do so well, only enough of it to let Devil through too... with us inside her.

"Personally, I'd feel better having her there with me, just in case we need a means of getting off-planet, you know, in case for some reason our Sithy friend here would be unable to provide it."

[ 11-28-2006 10:17 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Yaoksi Joao ]

--------------------

Thoran

Really Nice Member

Member # 493

posted 11-28-2006 10:49 PM     Profile for Thoran   Author's Homepage   Email Thoran     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Thoran thought for a moment.

“Well,” he said. “It depends on how big your ship is. I mean, if it’s the size of a Sith fighter, no problem. But it’s probably a bit bigger, like a freighter, right? I think I can still do that, but I really need to see it.”

Thoran’s face lit up when the bartender placed a plate of food in front of him. He picked up the utensil that accompanied it and took a bite. A look of total joy washed over his face.

“I haven’t tasted food in—well, in a long time. This is SO good!”

He took another bite and then looked apologetically to Yaoksi.

“Sorry, I got lost in thought. Or, rather, eating. The biggest concern I have about taking a ship into the darker realms is that I will need more time on the other end to first recover and then open another portal out. It goes from a couple of seconds to more like 60 seconds. We are sure to be seen, and may have to run or fight with some of the denizens. How fast and gunned is your ship? And how big?”

--------------------

Posts: 265 | From: Urbandale, IA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  Logged: 172.145.205.111

All times are CT
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05