my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Star Wars Discussion   » Episode 2 & 3   » Questions about Palpatine,the Sith, and the Episode 3 (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Printable Version
Author Topic: Questions about Palpatine,the Sith, and the Episode 3
Boba Fortuna

Member # 182

posted 05-18-2002 09:05 PM     Profile for Boba Fortuna   Author's Homepage   Email Boba Fortuna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So far Ive seen episode 2 six times- I do love it-

Im confused about a couple things though..

*Chancelor Palpatine, secretly a Sith Lord, and a master at manipulation- Did he somehow orchestrate the need for the clone army as a ways to increase his own personal power? Im wondering if it was secretly Palpatine who placed the orders for the clone army. At the end when Dooku indicated war had begun, Palpatine/Sidious indicated that had been the plan all along. So was Palpatine maniputing the Trade Federation and the Jedi to fight against each other, so that Palpatine would be given power to resolve the problm? (the key being he was given 'temporary' emergency powers)

*Exactly what were the Sith- were they former Jedi, or a differnt entity all together? Palpatine must have tremendous power, but it was VERY odd that even when sitting before a group of Jedi, none could sense Palpatine's alterior motives...

I would love to read a story about who trained Palpatine. being a Sith Lord, he must be handy with a light sabre..

My hunch is in episode 3, Papatine will be exposed as being the Sith Lord, and will ultimatly declare himself emperor. I could see Palpatine being the one who will kill Mace Windu. (or mabey Boba Fett kills Windu, for revenge on the death of Jango..)

..Palpatine will have any remaining Jedi hunted down and killed, thus Yoada will escape in exhile to Dagoba, Obi Wan to Tattooine...

regards

Boba Fortuna

--------------------

Boba Fortuna

Posts: 16 | From: Boston | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 209.110.18.240
Za'in Kenobi

Member # 183

posted 05-18-2002 09:28 PM     Profile for Za'in Kenobi   Author's Homepage   Email Za'in Kenobi     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
[color=gold]To help you with the idea of none knowing about his motives or thoughts is that "Dark Side Clouds All" atompshere that was set in the movie, when Yoda talked. And I think it was yoda that stated "The war just begun" or something like that, it might ahve been both of them, I might have forgot. But any ways, I have to state that his idea for the fight with the Clones was to slowly break down the new Republic, and the Jedi power with the war, knowing that they wouldn't in the long run truimph. Or it could be that he wanted to distract them, so that he could take over the whole thing with his Empire, but they all catch on soon enough that only a few Jedi's can move on and escape, like Yoda did.

And then in the Sith idea, I believe that they are mixed and matched. I believe Palpatine was a former, or it might be that he had the force ability but was taught by one of former Jedi heritage or something.

It actually all stated from a oucasted Jedi, so I guess that they are all former Jedi's or they all could be since it begun that way, and it hasn't actually lead down that way, but truly started it like that from heritage stand point.

Now, Darth maul on the other hand could have been picked up from Palpatine, as he wasn't known at all by the sight of Qui-Gon.

Soo.......to answer your question this is it.

--------------------

Star Wars: Dark Apprentice: Episode I

Anakin trains under the look of Obi, meanwhile a Apprentice of the Darkness has faded away into the depths of light, heading for the one who killed Maul. What shall happen?

Posts: 91 | From: Behind a girl name rebecca while she bends down, with a smile on my face as she | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 12.246.169.9
BobPalpatine

Foo Fighter

Member # 17

posted 05-18-2002 11:21 PM     Profile for BobPalpatine   Author's Homepage   Email BobPalpatine     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Alright, some good questions.

Palpatine is working both sides just like he did in Episode I to further bring himself to more power. Think of all the goals he has accomplished from playing both sides. In Episode II he has accomplished to have emergency powers, which I beleive will now bring him into power as an emperor, and he pretty much has control of 2 armies. By being in control of these armies he will force a war. Involved in this war is the Jedi. We saw that a lot of them were killed in Episode II, so think of how many more are gonna die throughout the course of a war.

To learn more about the Sith read the novelization of Episode I. You learn that the Sith was started by an evil Force user who decided to create a line of Sith. Only 2 at a time, and so Palpatine was just another apprentice of a Sith...

Yea...fun stuff....

Ooh and yea, Boba Fett will still be young in the next movie. The next movie is almost right after Episode II.

--------------------

"Can't you hear my motored heart? Your the one that started it!"

-Foo Fighters "Generator"

Cogito ergo sum

BobPalpatine
Holonet Admin

Posts: 681 | From: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  Logged: 204.184.54.20
Oaks

unregistered

posted 05-19-2002 12:05 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What i also have noted it that the relationship between the Palpotine and Anakin is also intresting. His political views are already breading in Anakin, as he mentioned one leader should be in charge, so becoming a dictatorship, which Amidala was a bit disgusted over yet forgot it quickley. Obi Wan does not truse Palpotine at all, b Anakin is very close to him already.

One more thing, how fit was Ms Portman in this film. Bye by Carrie.

Logged: 195.93.33.164
Boba Fortuna

Member # 182

posted 05-20-2002 12:19 AM     Profile for Boba Fortuna   Author's Homepage   Email Boba Fortuna     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Odd how I keep finding chat boards on the net, where some Star Wars fans did not realise Chancellor Palpatine,Darth Sidious and the Emperor were all the same person.

Gee, lets see- all are played by the same actor, the Chancelor and the Emperor share the name Palpatine- why are people failing to make such an obvious connection?

One fan suggested that Palpatine is a clone of Darth Sidious, and is Sidious's puppet- and Sidious will eventually do away with Palpatine and assume control. I think they're the same person.

One fan who insists one example of 'proof' why Palpatine could not be Sidious or the Emperor is beacuse Palpatine was friendly, and 'showed genuine concern for Padme' Amidala's well being". His concern was as insincere ass kissing as Ive ever seen....Palpatine was the greatest manipulator in the galaxy.......

What im most eager to see is what happens when the Jedi realise Chancelor Palpaine is in fact a Sith, and how he will go about declaring himself Emperor.At that point, his 'nice guy' facade will vanish....

regards

Boba Fortuna

[ 05-20-2002 12:20 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Boba Fortuna ]

--------------------

Boba Fortuna

Posts: 16 | From: Boston | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 206.216.118.186
mickeype22

unregistered

posted 05-21-2002 03:35 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My take on the Palpatine situation is this, yes Palpatine is lord Sidious, and yes he is pretty much in control of both armies. But the part about his concern for Padme is real to some extent. If you notice in Episode I, every time an unexpected move was made by the opposition he seemed a bit concerned. In Episode II when Annikan and Padme get away from their execution he is not fazed at all. I think he forsees that Annikan's feelings for Padme can be used to control him and wants her to stay alive. I get the feeling from Annikan's admiration and respect for Palpatine will play a big part in the next film. I think sidious will use that to turn Annikan to the dark side.
Logged: 216.78.182.198
kcirTdniMideJ

Broken Back Button

Member # 205

posted 05-22-2002 12:14 AM     Profile for kcirTdniMideJ   Author's Homepage   Email kcirTdniMideJ     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Text
I read at starwars.com that 1000 years before episode 1 there were jedi's that experimented with the dark side of the force to enhance their powers by using both sides of the force. But the jedi counsil found out and forbided it and killed off these jedi's. One jedi turned sith by the name of Darth Bane who was the only sith left after the ordeal and who had not been discovered took on an apprentice and created the whole 1 master 1 apprentice thing so they would not be discovered due to their extremely low numbers.

Posts: 7 | From: staten island | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 24.90.20.39
kcirTdniMideJ

Broken Back Button

Member # 205

posted 05-22-2002 12:26 AM     Profile for kcirTdniMideJ   Author's Homepage   Email kcirTdniMideJ     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Darth Sidious, Chancellor papaltine and the emperor are defintely the same person , no doubt. Anakin is still young and even though he is the most powerfull with the force he has much to learn and hasnt come close to developing all his powers. Die to his mental state and his lack of experienced and control it wont be hard for Sidious an extremely experienced sith to turn him.
kcirTdniMideJ

Broken Back Button

Member # 205

posted 05-22-2002 12:37 AM     Profile for kcirTdniMideJ   Author's Homepage   Email kcirTdniMideJ     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
We know that Anakin hunts and kills the jedis except for yoda and obi wan. And we know that Anakin fights obi wan, but somewhere along the line some1 has to kill Dooku. Does the emperor turn anakin when anakin is killing dooku since anakin is releasing all of his hate and anger putting him in a state that leaves him vulnerable to being turned?
Sidious got the jedis woried about this clone army made and now the jedis are giving there concent for the republic to create a huge army to oppose this secret threat not knowing that this huge armor will be under the control of the threat(sidious) that there opposing.

Darksider

BANNED
Member # 331

posted 08-28-2002 03:25 PM     Profile for Darksider   Author's Homepage   Email Darksider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
it is possible that sidious took over palpatines body. the emporer did have to clone himself on Byss several times because the dark side was destroying his body. anything is possible with the dark side and i dont think just because the actors were the same they were the same people, probably just lucas' way to save some money.
sidious probably saw an easier way to come to power by taking over the one person who is in the best posion to do so

Posts: 29 | From: | Registered: Aug 2002  |  Logged: 24.49.127.226
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 08-28-2002 10:30 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I believe not,the only explaination would be that Palpatine is himself, and that is it. I cant see it in any other way....

--------------------

"I am here to redeem myself. See, The Fate of the universe lies in my hands! I will take up the challenge!"

-Lumbia Whitfield

Posts: 1143 | From: In space... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 12.213.76.134
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 09-01-2002 11:19 AM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ya... Palpitine/sidious/emporer, all the same dude, thats the reason palpitine is in the movies, its to say "well, now you know where the emperer came from you kiddy's" thats why half the stuff in the new movies are there...

anyway, heres whats gonna happen for anakin to become vader:

1)padme is going to confide in Obi-wan that she is pregnant with anakin's children.
2) palpatine will continue to give anakin the "line" about being the strongest jedi ever, and it will continue to make anakin wierd out.
3) anakin is going to find out about padme's confiding in obi-wan about something, and palpatine will make it look like obi-wan is trying to steal her from anakin.
4) anakin will confront obi-wan with his "knowledge", blinded by his "love" for padme he wont listen to the reasons obi-wan gives him, cause sure as heck obi-wan one break in and tell padme's secret, she confided in him.
5)obi-wan will have to kill vader, im sure all of you have heard the thoughts about a lava pool, perhaps he falls in as a resault of there fight.
6)palpatine will "save" him from whatever obi-wan did to h im.
7) paplatine will then come to him as sidious, and tell him something along the lines of "i can teach you my boy, i can show you the path of true power, the jedi will pay for what they have done to you, obi-wan will pay for stealing your love"
8) finaly, anakin has come to realize his anger has begun to comsume him, and also realizes that palpatine lied to him, and that anakin got mad at the jedi for nothing, $30 bucks say's they use the line from return of the jedi "your hate has made you powerful, strike me down and your transformation will be complete" or something along those lines, then, anakin will kill dooku, who will try to defend is his master, and with that, anakin turns to vader.

--------------------

"Insert Snappy quote here"

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.225.96.144
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-01-2002 11:44 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Regarding the above question about the Sith:

Dark Horse comics dealt very briefly with this. There was a magickal race, called the Sith, which had VERY BRIEFLY been alluded to once holding power over the entire galaxy. They had thus then degraded quite a bit (think Roman Empire).

Anyway, there were a group of jedi who were not happy about the restrictions placed upon them as force users. They saw the dark side as being more powerful, and wanted to use it. Kicked out of the council and jedi school for this, they wandered about seeking a planet on which they could develop their own skills. They found the Sith, annihilated them, and took over their planet and what powers they had. (Which could be where the "Force Lightning" originates.)

Through the ages squabbling for power amongst the new Dark Jedi, over "who was gonna be top dog," resulted in huge fights among themselves. The leading Dark Jedi resolved this issue, then claimed them as being "Sith," (taking over the name of the original race they had destroyed) and proclaimed that from that point on there could only be two. The Dark side was too strong to allow any more than that. Too much fighting would always erupt.

This is according to Dark Horse comics, and some people do not claim it as being "true" Star Wars according to Lucas. (But this is the story I used as a springboard when developing my storyline here. So in this rpg, the "sith" everyone thinks of being "sith" -- Maul, Vader, Palpatine, whoever -- are really Dark Jedi. The Sith are an ancient, once powerful, and now dead race of beings. Aelvedaar, Recinis and Dark Lord Roan are Sith. Other baddies for the most part are really Dark Jedi.)

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.209.6
Darksider

BANNED
Member # 331

posted 09-01-2002 05:41 PM     Profile for Darksider   Author's Homepage   Email Darksider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
most of you are assuming too much. it appears that palpatine/sidious are one person, but THERE IS NO PROOF. Lucas already said he plans on putting a ton of surprises and twists into ep.3
Until then, no one will know. it is fun to speculate possibilitys, but that is all they are.

Posts: 29 | From: | Registered: Aug 2002  |  Logged: 24.49.127.183
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 09-01-2002 06:09 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
there is so proof *pulls out filing cabnet upon filing cabnet of stuffed papers with tones of writing on them* see...

Yes, there will be serprises in ep. 3, i can tell ya that much, just wait you see *acts as if he knew exactly what was happeing*

ok, let the truth be known, GL didnt want me to tell anyone (he's my good buddy afterall, and im totaly serious about that fact) but heres how it is. as it turns out, the emperer is really an evil clone of qui-gon jinn, and thats why anakin turns to the darkside, because he still holds that special something in his heart for the guy that saved him. And also, further more, darth vader isnt anakin, but rather a clone of obi-wan who decides to take up the fight that his apprentice believed so hardily in, anakin died in the depths of the nuclear reactor for the deathstar...

and as for palpatine...well, his true idendity at this time is only known as... solo...thats all i can say without getting GL pissed at me...

--------------------

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.219.51.27
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-01-2002 07:09 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Holds hand in front of mouth, daintily hiding a lady-like laugh....

Oh, what the hey!

(ROTFLMAO I just love dry humor!)

OK, getting up and brushing myself off now...

Hmmm. So then in Empire Strikes back we should ignore the scene when the Emperor's shuttle arrives, and the guy who is obvious Sidious departs to join with Vader, who bows to him... (like he's going to bow to a mere Emperor, sheesh) ...? They say, "The Emperor has arrived!" and Vader goes to meet him, and then they walk, and it's the same durned half-hidden face they use in Episodes 1 and 2, the same cloak no less, hooded the same way, same voice and mannerisms.

And here's a direct quote from the Star Wars encyclopedia, taken from the "Palpatine" entry: "...Palpatine either seduced them to the dark side of the force, as he did with Anakin Skywalker, a powerful and promising Jedi who was transformed into Darth Vader..." then they refer to the novel where the cloned Palpatine appears: "...For a brief period, Luke accepted the cloned Emperor's training in the dark side..."

I think it's pretty obvious. Palpatine and Sidious are one and the same.

[ 09-01-2002 07:22 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.209.6
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 09-03-2002 07:46 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
what? you guy's dont think im serious? my friend GL(in case you were wondering that stands for Geff lurof) told me it was gonna be like that... *mutters* he may not watch the movies, or read the books, or even know what the name 'star wars' is, but thats what he told me... (id say he did prety good considering he never watched the movies, and never heard the names qui-gon, obi-wan, vader, anakin, or palpatine before)

--------------------

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.219.84.98
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 09-04-2002 03:20 AM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is a played out-How can you even consider him someone else. Its clearly him, and he wont go changing it up in the next movie. It'd mess up alot of things, espically the perfect Trilogies. No he will not do it, I know it and feel it.

--------------------

"I am here to redeem myself. See, The Fate of the universe lies in my hands! I will take up the challenge!"

-Lumbia Whitfield

Posts: 1143 | From: In space... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 12.213.76.134
Darksider

BANNED
Member # 331

posted 09-08-2002 06:19 PM     Profile for Darksider   Author's Homepage   Email Darksider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
graysith, you stated this:

"...and it's the same durned half-hidden face they use in Episodes 1 and 2, the same cloak no less, hooded the same way, same voice and mannerisms."

your proof is that they look and sound the same. that does not prove a thing. it is merely evidence that they are related. the clone theory still works.

you also stated:

"And here's a direct quote from the Star Wars encyclopedia, taken from the "Palpatine" entry: "...Palpatine either seduced them to the dark side of the force, as he did with Anakin Skywalker, a powerful and promising Jedi who was transformed into Darth Vader..." then they refer to the novel where the cloned Palpatine appears: "...For a brief period, Luke accepted the cloned Emperor's training in the dark side...'"

all that quote states is palpatine turned anakin and luke to the dark side (for a time). that in no way proves sidious and palpatine is the same person. in fact, it in no way even suggests it!!!

Posts: 29 | From: | Registered: Aug 2002  |  Logged: 24.49.212.189
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-08-2002 06:44 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ummmm... cloned Emperor's training sure sounds like that is who DID the training... and who ELSE COULD GIVE the training but the
Dark Lord of the Sith? AKA: Palpatine/Sidious, sheesh, why the heck all the big whoopdedoo to make such a mystery out of something so obvious when "Empire Strikes Back" first came out?

Besides, the clone theory is just too... anticlimatic. Too predictable in its unpredictability. Far more impact that Palpatine is Sidious, far more dangerous a foe to thus reaize with 20-20 hindsight that he had been hidden in the middle of everything all along, like a lurking dianoga, quietly manipulating and watching from his vantage point.

[ 09-08-2002 06:52 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.96.79
Darksider

BANNED
Member # 331

posted 09-10-2002 03:38 PM     Profile for Darksider   Author's Homepage   Email Darksider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
graysith, im not saying your wrong, just you have no proof
also
you stated this:"Ummmm... cloned Emperor's training sure sounds like that is who DID the training... and who ELSE COULD GIVE the training but the Dark Lord of the Sith? AKA: Palpatine/Sidious, sheesh, why the heck all the big whoopdedoo to make such a mystery out of something so obvious when "Empire Strikes Back" first came out?"

i never said the cloned emperor didnt train luke, all i said was:"all that quote states is palpatine turned anakin and luke to the dark side (for a time). that in no way proves sidious and palpatine is the same person. in fact, it in no way even suggests it!!!"

please point out where it says i believe the cloned emperor did not train luke and explain what that has to do with sidious and the emperor

[ 09-10-2002 03:40 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Darksider ]

Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 09-10-2002 03:44 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
They are the same person... clones are another possibility...
Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 65.80.163.115
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 09-10-2002 07:19 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ummm, ok, i have found proof that this is the way it is... In the original trilligy, it was palpatine...it say's it in the movies "emperer palpatine" it only makes that reference once, but it makes it, and, also, before the new movies came out, i had heard his name was Darth sideious before he took the name emperer palpatine. So, you place this together, and before you even know who palpatine or sidious is, you know its the same person...

I think your just taking this a litle to far in your hopes that lucas will do something grand with him... cause he is, who he's always been, in fact, i bet you anything, the jedi already know he is sidious, but they have no hard proof, besides there feelings, and as we see in modern sociaty, even an admiral doenst accuse another admiral of doing something, so the jedi would just lose favor...

there is of course the possibility, that sidious is someone else entirly, and what would that do? i bet you anything youd have so many starwars fans hunting down and killing GL in that instance, they probably wouldnt even stay to finish the movie... i mean, when you screw with that, our "beloved" emperor palpatine, you are asking for it...

--------------------

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.225.96.73
Darksider

BANNED
Member # 331

posted 09-10-2002 07:40 PM     Profile for Darksider   Author's Homepage   Email Darksider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
sidious and palpatine are most likely the same person.
because you "heard" something is not proof.
they are definetly connected somehow, though.

Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 09-10-2002 11:16 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
it is proof, this is before ep 1/2 came out, that means, anything you "hear" is from the existing movies, that means, the name was thought up during that time, and who existed there? not two people, but one.

--------------------

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.219.72.158

All times are CT
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05