my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Star Wars Discussion   » Episode 2 & 3   » Questions about Palpatine,the Sith, and the Episode 3 (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Printable Version
Author Topic: Questions about Palpatine,the Sith, and the Episode 3
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 09-10-2002 11:36 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
They have to be linked!!

Heck, the same actor plays them...

Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 65.80.163.115
Mara1Jade

Expanded Universe Goddess and Corran Obsessor

Member # 68

posted 09-11-2002 01:21 AM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No proof Eh?

So hows about when Darth SIDIOUS tells the Nimrods...errr Nemodians that:

1. "I will have the Senate bogged down in procedures."

and:

2. "I will see to it that in the Senate things stay as they are."

How is a SITH LORD gonna bog the Senate down in procedures or make sure things stay the way that they are within it unless he has ALOT OF CONTROL in the Senate? Even if Palpatine was a puppet of Sidious's, that's a rather grand claim.

And have you noted that the clip on the neck of Sidious's and Palpatine's cloak is THE SAME? Go back and watch Episode I, you can see it. Now WHY THE HECK would a Senator feel the need to where the same apparrel as a SITH LORD? You could argue away the fact that they wear similar black cloaks maybe, but A CLIP?

The only argument that can POSSIBLY have any bearing is that one is the clone of the other. And I don't think is very likely, clone or not, that BOTH GUYS would be wearing THE EXACT SAME CLOTHING. They clone the people. Not their clothes.

There's proof.

[ 09-11-2002 01:25 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Mara1Jade ]

--------------------

Small minds think in small terms!
~~CMH, creator and writer of Shayla Petrolu, Erik Kartan, Shawn Petrolu, Terrin Danner, Jasyn Lancaster, Matt Stanza, Aaron Barnes, And Taylor Garrison~~

Posts: 972 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 66.20.157.94
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 09-11-2002 01:27 AM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Finally!!

Thank you Mara1Jade..... that has been bothering me since May!!

Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 65.80.163.115
Mara1Jade

Member # 68

posted 09-11-2002 01:28 AM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Glad to be of service.

*Takes a bow*

--------------------

~~CMH, creator and writer of Shayla Petrolu, Erik Kartan, Shawn Petrolu, Terrin Danner, Jasyn Lancaster, Matt Stanza, Aaron Barnes, And Taylor Garrison~~

Posts: 972 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 66.20.157.94
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 09-11-2002 01:31 AM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, now that we have proof that they are one and the same... how do you think GL will reveal this... hmmmmm....

[ 09-11-2002 01:32 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Loban ]

Darksider

BANNED
Member # 331

posted 09-11-2002 02:48 PM     Profile for Darksider   Author's Homepage   Email Darksider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
it is clear they have to be linked somehow, what if they are both sithlords.
what if as a child, sidious was cloned, and both were taught in the way of the dark side, and were then sent off to live different lives, one to take on an apprentice or two, and the other to gain political power for the eventual transformation of the republic to the empire?(that explains your clothes theory, it could be a secret symbol that means you are a sith) then in episode 3, one kills the other? it seems crazy, but so did the idea of the force and battlestations that blow up planets 50 years ago(or however long ago it was before lucas made his 1st movie)
he surprised everybod before, why not do it again?

[ 09-11-2002 02:52 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Darksider ]

Posts: 29 | From: | Registered: Aug 2002  |  Logged: 24.49.212.189
Mara1Jade

Member # 68

posted 09-11-2002 02:58 PM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Only two there are. A master, and an apprentice."

And Force-weilding clones are unstable. Of course, that's based on my EU background, so you can argue it uncannon if you like.

--------------------

Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 09-11-2002 03:05 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
But, if that were the case... why would palpatine want someone to realize he is a sith?

also, I really have accepted what Mara1Jade has told us... remember in the begining of Episode 2, when Padme walks in to greet Palpatine... Yoda gave him that 'look'.... hmmmmm...

Darksider

BANNED
Member # 331

posted 09-11-2002 03:21 PM     Profile for Darksider   Author's Homepage   Email Darksider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
mara1jade-
i considered the "only two there are" line, but seeing you have an EU background, you should know that is not always the case, seeing palpatine had numbers of apprentices.
also, force strong clones are not unstable. perhaps you misunderstood the thrawn trilogy. in the three books, it was explained that Joruus C'baoth was unstable because he was grown too fast.
next
loban-
palpatine would not want anyone to know until it is time. if it was some sort of sith symbol, only a sith would know it, considering they were supposed to be extinct for a millenia. yoda, along with many others(including obi-1) distrust politicians(as they should)

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-11-2002 03:26 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You are showing a marked tendency toward anality in this, you know Darksider?

By your words you contradict yourself: "if it was some sort of sith symbol, only a sith would know it.." If symbol of note to the "Sith" the clip might be, why would a SITH let a senator wear it???? Or even an Emperor????

Now, let us not beat any longer upon the poor horse, it is aready dead....

[ 09-11-2002 03:29 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.96.79
Darksider

BANNED
Member # 331

posted 09-11-2002 03:39 PM     Profile for Darksider   Author's Homepage   Email Darksider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
next time you accuse me, read the whole thing first. you continually harass me with false accusations everytime i try to prove a point and continue to show your ignorance while hiding behind your opinion that you are an adminastrater and therefore you can not be argued with because you know everything there is to know abut starwars.

you stated

"why would a SITH let a senator wear it"

if you read what i wrote, i was suggesting it was a possibility that senater palpatine was a sithlord

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-11-2002 03:55 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How could they be the TWO supposed sith? THERE ARE ONLY TO BE TWO. Sidious had Maul when Palpatine was rising in the Senate. No way could those two be clone/sith and Sith Lord.

Unless by your suggestion that Palpatine is a sithlord is saying he is indeed Sidious.

Darksider, from hereon: any posts you feel are of inflammatory nature to you, please contact me in PM. NOT in a post. Them's purty strong accusatory words you are speaking yourself.

[ 09-11-2002 04:01 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.96.79
Darksider

BANNED
Member # 331

posted 09-11-2002 03:57 PM     Profile for Darksider   Author's Homepage   Email Darksider     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
again you have not read the thread, as you continually accuse me of doing.
i already stated that you cant use that as a defense to my theory because palpatine had several apprentices

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-11-2002 04:08 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Again thank you Mara and Entaris for showing he difference between fact and wishful thinking.

I also think many people are waiting with bated breath for some wild story twist to come out... which I personally feel will cheapen the entire storyline.

The disclosures that Vader is Luke's father, Leia is his sister, is quite enough. It was already established that Sidious was the Emperor, and fact shows a more elegant plot device having now revealing how truly Lord Sidious lived up to his name: "insidiously rising in rank and power and creating his own Empire from within, always a move more difficult to hold out against because you only can view it later with 20-20 hindsight.

--------------------

Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 09-11-2002 08:25 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Graysith, could you explain?

Sidious was 'The Emperor'? I thought it was 'Emperor Palpatine'?

Well, heh, it doesn't matter if they are the same person... as we think...

[ 09-11-2002 08:27 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Loban ]

Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 09-11-2002 10:18 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
im telling you people, the emporer is really an evil clone of qui-gon jin... and vader isnt anakin, he's an evil clone of obi-wan, gone insane thinking he was the great skywalker, and as for luke, well, he's not related to laia, she is only his half cousin 5 times removed... and he's not even a skywalker, he's a "baca" yep, luke is a bald wooki, his real name is "lubaca" he's the enstranged son of chewy and padme... and as for han, well, han is really... Anakin's clone... Yep, you heard right... gone mad because for some reason he was not given access to the force as his orriginal had access to... *sighs* sad world...

--------------------

"Insert Snappy quote here"

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.225.96.222
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 09-11-2002 10:22 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I did not know that...

I mean, of course I did... who didn't...

*looks around innocently*

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-12-2002 12:23 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
But Chewie! You mustn't forget Chewie! He is really the clone of Jar-Jar; yup, amazing what plastic surgery can do, and all you can really hide under all that hair...

So Lubaca is quite the jarring individual, isn't he?

--------------------

Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 09-12-2002 12:26 AM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, now I think your putting me on...

Come on, Chewie's vocabulary was much better than Jar-Jar's...

[ 09-12-2002 12:30 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Loban ]

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-12-2002 01:01 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, well... "Hooked on Phonics" worked for him, especially the vowels....

--------------------

Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 09-12-2002 01:10 AM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
<-----------catch my tongue, if you can...

AEIOU... and sometimes Y, I have heard...

[ 09-12-2002 01:13 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Loban ]

Dooku

Broken Back Button

Member # 345

posted 09-15-2002 05:29 AM     Profile for Dooku   Author's Homepage   Email Dooku     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Having read through all the posts on this thread I can see that there are some well argued points on here. However, I myself do not believe that Palpatine and Sidious are the same person. In all of these posts there has not been one mention of Syfo Dyas, which I find strange.

Here is my theory. Syfo Dyas obviously did exist as a Jedi - of that there is no doubt. Obi Wan recognised the name when Lama Su mentioned that he had ordered the creation of the Clone Army for the Republic. Similarly, when Obi Wan reported this to Yoda and Mace they gave each other a slightly worried look, but never gave much of a response to Obi Wan.

In my opinion, Syfo Dyas IS Darth Sidious. He was once a Jedi, who like Dooku left the order as one of the lost 20 that we have heard about, yet not been given much info on. He was passed off as dead to younger Jedi by the council much in the same way as Vader was to Luke by Ben in ANH. Yoda and Mace know that he is not dead, but they are unsure of his whereabouts and are aware of his practicing in the dark side.

Ok, so now to the link between Sidious & Palpatine as there definately is one. I'm not 100% sure about the clone theory as there is too much cloning going on, however, it is a possiblity. The thing which strikes me is that the young Palpatine we see in the prequal trilogy does not have the same lumps and bumps on his face that he does in Jedi when we see his face fully. Explain how in just 25 years he would end up looking like that! His face is almost grey in ROTJ, and I dont believe that ageing alone would cause his face to end up looking like that! No, what I believe is that the Chancellor we see now is NOT the Emperor we see in ROTJ - That Emperor is Sidious, who, once his clone has done all the dirty work, assumes the role of Emperor Palpatine himself.

We have not yet seen Sidious's face above his mouth. Why would Lucas not do this if Sidious and Palpatine were one and the same? GL does this to make people think that they are one and the same, to make us think that Sidious is not showing his face because he is hiding his true identity.

The Jedi are aware of a dark force rising. Though, the "dark side clouds everything", so they cannot pin-point exactly where the menace is coming from, but I am pretty sure that they expect Syfo Dyas to be having an involvement with it. The connection between Dyas and Dooku would also explain as to how easily Dooku would have been prepared to join up with another disgruntled, power hungry, former Jedi. Exactly why Dyas and Dooku left the Jedi order is unknown, but I am sure we will find this out in Episode III.

So, in short, my theory is - Syfo Dyas left the Jedi Order and assumed the alias of Darth Sidious. He cloned himself on Kamino and altered his appearance slightly. He found a planet that was under naive leadership to place the clone on as a politician who could rise up through the senate and control the political masses through manipulation. When Sidious informed Nute Gunray and Rune Haako o fhis ability to control the senate, he was actually not talking of himself doing it, but because he controls palpatine's every move he has the ability to do so.

All will become clear in Episode 3, and I obviously dont know if my above theory is correct, however, I am pretty sure that Sidious and Palpatine are not the same person. I am almost definate that Syfo Dyas is Sidious.

We shall all find out what the truth is in May 2005!

--------------------

Surely you can do better!

Posts: 7 | From: Berkshire, UK | Registered: Sep 2002  |  Logged: 213.123.58.175
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 09-15-2002 11:53 AM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, you brought up some logical points, i didnt have time to read the whole post, but i can answer one of your questions... as for "how did he change so much after just 25 years, he was practacly gray in ROTJ"

This is actauly quite simple... With usage of the darkside, your body becomes corrupted, a very powerful dark jedi such as sidious would have, by the time he became the emporer, used the darkside a whole heckuva lot, this causes ones body to corrode, and become impure, frail.... that is one of the reasons vader wears the suit. I know we have all heard the story's about him falling into a lava pit, or something like that. WHile that may be true, its only half true, vader was very powerful in the force, much more so then palpatine, the reason he followed sidius so much was because, as all apprentices, sith or no, he was loyal. And also sidius provided him with guidance, something we see in ep.2 he greatly needed.

as for the whole jedi/clone/sidius thing, it very well may be true...then again, perhaps sidius is both palpatine and the jedi dude...(i cant remember is name)

anyway, yes, good points...

now, that ive appease that, i gotta say... YOUR WRONG AHAHAHA~!!!! CHEWIES THE EMPORER!!! "darth chewbaca" is his real name...yep, he just shaves when he dones the emporer suit... that crafty devil...

--------------------

"Insert Snappy quote here"

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.219.51.226
Dooku

Broken Back Button

Member # 345

posted 09-16-2002 01:52 PM     Profile for Dooku   Author's Homepage   Email Dooku     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I suppose the thing about Sidious/Syfo Dyas being a previous member of the Jedi order that really raises the issue of Palpatine & Sidious being the same person is that (Unless Sifo Dyas is a changelling!) surely the Jedi would have recognised Palpatine as being Sifo Dyas???? If you see what I am trying to say? lol. Its all a bit confusing to try and explain but in a nutshell:

Syfo Dyas = Sidious - Jedi have not seen him yet = If Palpatine and Sidious are one and the same then Palpatine would be recognizable in appearance to the Jedi. THAT IS BASED ON MY THEORY THAT SYFO DYAS IS DARTH SIDIOUS!!!

--------------------

Surely you can do better!

Posts: 7 | From: Berkshire, UK | Registered: Sep 2002  |  Logged: 62.7.23.111
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 09-16-2002 02:26 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That is very possible...

are you saying that all three are one and the same? Or is syfo dyas only sidious, and sidious has palpatine in his back pocket...

Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 66.156.194.189

All times are CT
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05