my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » General Discussion   » Evolving (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 

Printable Version
Author Topic: Evolving
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 08-22-2002 10:32 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I know religious debate is unhealthy, but we can try our best to keep feelings out of this, and just discuss the facts.

I'll give my thoughts, and then you all can give yours.

Somewhere in Alabama, disclaimer stickers were placed on all middle and high school science books about Evolution. It was parents opposed to evolution (on religious grounds) who insisted the stickers be placed there, saying we should be catious about Evolution, as it is just a theory.

First, I'd like to point out the difference between the real meaning of theory and the wrong meaning. A scientific theory is a compilation of facts, that have not yet been disproven. A theory as we use the word most is basically a hypothesis. There is an obvious difference. Evolution is a scientific theory.

Both Evolution and Creationism/Religion are theories. The difference is Evolution is a Scientific theory, based on fact, whereas Creationism, and even Religion, is a hypothesis, with no fact to back it up. Religion isn't even considered a hypothesis, as there is no way to prove it wrong.

The parents who suggested the sticker are obviously ignorant about science. The ACLU is suing over the sticker (thank god someone fights for civil liberties).

Now, what are your thoughts?

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 12.220.189.75
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 08-22-2002 10:36 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I believe in both... Evolution is a fact, but how did the first organisms appear? that is where religion comes in, the creator... no?

[ 08-22-2002 10:36 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Loban ]

Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 66.156.195.99
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 08-22-2002 10:50 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Loban, let me just say this. First we ask how we got here, must be God, right? Few thousand years later we find that we're really here because of Evolution. Ok, it was Evolution, there are facts to back it up, why deny fact? Then you ask, well, we know it was evolution, but where did the first organisms come from? Must be God, right? I say wrong. I don't know for sure how it all started, but a few thousand years ago no one knew for sure how we got here. They attributed it to God, they were proven wrong. Learn from mistakes.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 12.220.189.75
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 08-22-2002 10:52 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I just can't say there is no God... I understand what you mean though...

[ 08-22-2002 10:53 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Loban ]

Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 66.156.195.99
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 08-22-2002 11:05 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
How about this, God is a scientist, a being from another place that has mastered the wonderful thing. he creates the "big bang" and life is started on his 'microscope slide' he then watches, and takes notes as we evolve, and learn the ways of science, therin we begin finding our own knowledge, and soon become less dependent on him, in the begining "God" might have uses his "miricals" AKA science, to give us things, but as we evolve, we learn to do them on our own, and he slowly fades outa the picture, and watches as we approach his knowledge, and should we succed in reaching his mastery of science, his experement would be complete. and we might be set aside to live however we choose.

Now, this said, i want to make it clear, this is not one of my beliefes, so please dont bager me about it should you find it incorrect, in the first post by anakin he said lets put our feeligns besides, THIS IS JUST AN IDEA.

sorry bout that, im getting a bit paranoid

--------------------

"Insert Snappy quote here"

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.219.72.206
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 08-22-2002 11:08 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Yes, that old chestnut...
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 08-22-2002 11:15 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Well, Entaris, if that were true, I would say it's extremely doubtful he would watch us evolve. That would be saying that we are the only life form in the entire universe worth watching, and if that's true, it's pretty sad...

--------------------

Support Progress

Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 08-22-2002 11:22 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
i mean that as in the univers, there could be other life, i mean his creation in general... perhaps he has a few different slides, and used different componds in other creations, to see which would evolve the fastest, or the most impressifly... i dont know, like i said, just a thought

--------------------

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-22-2002 11:23 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Anakin, I'm with you on this one 200%. Evolution had been proven to have occured on the most very basic of levels: that being DNA. We can trace out ancestral history via our DNA, and can that of other organisms as well. This breakthrough came about, I believe, with the mapping of the human genome (FINALLY GOT IT DONE).

It's amazing that a soup of chemicals in a warm bath catalyzed by lightning produced amino acids to coil into DNA (ok, this is the final missing step, last I heard of, but the chemical-to-amino acids via electrical arcing into warm salt-water bath has been reproduced in the lab myriad times) -- anyway, it's amazing that this eventually led to Man, but it did.

On an even more primitive level, that of the quantum, we have now discovered that pairs of quarks (the building blocks of protons and neutrons and so on) spontaneously appear and disappear all the time.

Hmmm... maybe that's God. Who knows.

All I know is that we've proven evolution to be factual... and all world religions are based only on faith and beliefs which, I might add, can't even be said to be hypotheses. Hypotheses are subject to tests to verify them....

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.96.79
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 08-22-2002 11:30 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
*sigh* yes, the hypothissis *images of physics flash through his mind* awww...thos were the day's...i loved that class...
easiest class i ever had the privledge to pass...i wonder why i was the only one that god an +A... oh well

and for all you that want to be amazed by the simplicity of a scientific fact...sometimes a theory, though i do believe there has been a change in defenition, that seperate the two...not sure though. but heres a scientific fact/theory

" i have 37 fingers" amazingly simple...no?

--------------------

Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 08-22-2002 11:30 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Evolution was a really bad movie... and that's all I have to say about that...
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 08-22-2002 11:35 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Entaris, that's not a scientific fact or theory, as it's not true, and can be disproven.

Loban, Evolution was funny. I have a question for you that stems from your "I understand, but I can't say God doesn't exist." Is God merciful and just? If so, why is it so hard to admit that there is considerable doubt? He would understand if he is merciful and just, wouldn't he?

--------------------

Support Progress

Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 08-22-2002 11:40 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
All I have to say is, I know there is a God, trust me... and he loves to make the Cubs lose!?!?!?
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 08-23-2002 12:07 AM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Actauly anakin, i hate to be the mean SOB that tells ya this, but a scientific fact/theory is something that CAN be disproven, like saying there are places in the univers man will never see, that is not a scientific fact, cause thers no way to disprove it, BUT if there is a way to disprove it, then it is indeed a scientific fact, or at least theory, and if you wish to disagree with this, i would be happy to sick my physics teacher on you

--------------------

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-23-2002 10:56 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Yess-ss-sss... the very backbone of true science, which the majority of the population seems to overlook, is that scientific theories can and often are disproven. (It usually takes enormous leaps in technology to do so, however, as it all boils down to the refinement of our testing devices.) Hehehe... may I point out the earlier and universal viewpoint that the Earth was the center of the Universe....

I have come up with a little saying I like to bandy about here and there: True Science Seeks Truth... Always. Actually, a true scientist ALWAYS seeks to disprove the proven theories, for only by the lack thereof do those theories continue to hold true.

And nothing is more exciting when a proven theory gets disproven... boy howdy does everyone leap aboard the bandwagon to seek newer answers!

The main difference between science and faith/beliefs, I believe, is that science seeks the proof'/truth by reproducible FACTS. Faith/beliefs spring from the basis of VERY subjective and personal FEELINGS. There is a BIG DIFFERENCE.

For example, for whatever the reason, say I believe that Jupiter's core is actually a gigantic diamond (as posited by Arthur C. Clarke). How physical laws operate upon that planet, combined with the materials of which we know it is made, would lead us to believe it COULD be possible. In fact, VERY possible. It just makes sense. BUT: no matter how I point to this factor and that factor, no matter how cleverly I word the debate to justify my beliefs in this matter, in fact using science "against" itself, heh...

...THE FACT REMAINS THAT AT THIS POINT IT IS ALL CONJECTURE. Until we can devise a means of penetrating the planets awesome atmosphere and standing up to its tremendous pressures, WE SIMPLY DON'T KNOW FOR A FACT if the core is a diamond or not.

Oh yes... and then there is the difference between scientific theory and law. Theories which are continually upheld by proof then become scientific laws (ie: the law of gravity, the laws of thermodynamics, etc.). These are the BIG GUYS, the ones we accept as the means by which the universe in general is run... and the ones that really shake the world when they come tumbling down.

And that is the difference between science and faith. Now you know the rest of the story.

[ 08-23-2002 11:01 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.209.6
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-23-2002 11:11 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hey, I don't want to shake anyone up too badly, but at the moment I'm reading a really good book called, "Genome." (Just started it, actually.)

Did you know that the human genome and that of a chimpanzee share NINETY-EIGHT PERCENT of the same genes? That 98% of our genetic make-up is EXACTLY like that of the chimpanzee? We share 97% with gorillas... and -- SURPRISE -- chimps share 97% of their genetic code with gorillas, too.

What this boils down to is that humans and chimpanzees are closer together genetically than humans are with gorillas... or than gorillas are with chimpanzees.

The PRIMARY difference separating us from the other apes (YES WE'RE APES, ADMIT IT!!!) is the fact that chimps and gorillas have 24 pairs of chromosomes, and we have 23 pairs. BUT: it turns out that one set they have fused together to make one BIGGER pair in us... I think it's Chromosome Two. (they are numbered according to size, biggest to smallest). Studying Chromosome Two has proven it to be practically identical to two sets carried by chimps and gorillas (I don't know the specific sets, sorry).

Kinda humbling, isn't it, but there's your "Missing Link," folks....

[ 08-23-2002 11:12 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.209.6
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 08-23-2002 12:17 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
HEY! THATS GREAT! my favorit saying to people when there being stupid is "bad monkey" now i know im actauly pretty close to that being correct... LOL thanks graysith!

*goes off calling people chimps left and right* MAUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

--------------------

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.227.22.216
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-23-2002 12:22 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hehehehe...

Chuckles through whiskers.

Kind of brings new meaning to the term, "You big ape!!!" doesn't it?

--------------------

Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 08-23-2002 01:14 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
now i have an excuss...

"stop acting stupid"

"i cant... im 98% chimp..."

hehe. and as for ape...2 words come to mind.

"THOCK SMASH!"

heh, oh, just FYI you can have tons of fun with those two words...whenever someone say's anything just scream "AARRG! THOCK SMASH!" everyone in the school looks at you as if youve lost your mind...hehe, and also, run around skiping and singing "we're off to see the wizard..." i tell you, your friends will pretend you dont exist... hehe.

In case you havnt noticed, i like to have fun

--------------------

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.227.22.216
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 08-23-2002 03:04 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Entaris:Actauly anakin, i hate to be the mean SOB that tells ya this, but a scientific fact/theory is something that CAN be disproven, like saying there are places in the univers man will never see, that is not a scientific fact, cause thers no way to disprove it, BUT if there is a way to disprove it, then it is indeed a scientific fact, or at least theory, and if you wish to disagree with this, i would be happy to sick my physics teacher on you

What the hell? That's what I've been saying. You can have a thousand experiments to prove something, but without a test to prove it wrong (doesn't necessarily have to be proven wrong, there just has to be a test) it's scientific.

--------------------

Support Progress

BobPalpatine

Foo Fighter

Member # 17

posted 08-23-2002 03:13 PM     Profile for BobPalpatine   Author's Homepage   Email BobPalpatine     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Beleive it or not Intelligent Design/Creationism has also many scientific theory's in it, but it is also a thing that is placed on faith.

Although I think with Evolution, you are placing your faith in another beleif. Nothing can be proven yet. I'm ordering a book that I've read once that increased my faith in Intelligent Design even more. I will share some of my thoughts later. Right now, lets keep this debated civilized.

[ 08-23-2002 03:18 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by BobPalpatine ]

--------------------

"Can't you hear my motored heart? Your the one that started it!"

-Foo Fighters "Generator"

Cogito ergo sum

BobPalpatine
Holonet Admin

Posts: 681 | From: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  Logged: 204.184.55.27
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 08-23-2002 03:16 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
anakin, you said "entaris, thats not a scientific fact or theory, because it can be proven wrong" i was simply saying that you were wrong in that statment, i wasnt talking about anythign else you had said.

--------------------

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.227.22.74
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 08-23-2002 03:32 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
You're taking it out of context. What you said is neither fact nor theory, scientific or not scientific, as it's a lie.

--------------------

Support Progress

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-23-2002 04:52 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Both of you STOP RIGHT NOW. 'Tis water under the proverbial bridge.

And Bob... this conversation has indeed remained civilized up to this point...

...at least as civilized as a 98%-chimp primate can get...!!!!

Ummm... also, excuse me, but I thought I said the genetic correlation for evolution has already been proven???? When have you opened a science book lately?

We did not descend from the apes....

We ARE apes, a species of upright bipedal primate... only as a rule we're brainier than our cousins and have less hair and pitiful teeth.

All of the apes: chimpanzee, gorilla, orangutan and Man... all have descended from a common ancestor... and the genetic tracings go back even further. We can trace it all the way to "Luca," the Last Universal Common Ancestor. Kind of an itty-bitty bacterium type.

Even more humbling to realize that not only are we ALL THUS CONNECTED, but the arising of mankind was actually kind of a happenstance. Fusing of those chromosomes....

[ 08-23-2002 05:08 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

Mara1Jade

Expanded Universe Goddess and Corran Obsessor

Member # 68

posted 08-23-2002 05:21 PM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
A "correlation" and "cause" are two different things.

According to Mr. Webster, "correlation" means:

quote:
a relation existing between phenomena or things or between mathematical or statistical variables which tend to vary, be associated, or occur together in a way not expected on the basis of chance alone

And again, according to Webster, "cause" means:

quote:
something that brings about an effect or a result c : a person or thing that is the occasion of an action or state; especially : an agent that brings something about d : sufficient reason <discharged for cause>

A genetic correlation, as I understand it then, would mean that two things seem to be happening TOGETHER. You can prove a correlation exists, of course, by taking the data. But in order to prove that our similarities in genetic code with apes are CAUSED because we evolved from them, you'd have to do an experiment rather than simply collect the data. (although, with our current technology, the experiment that would be necessary is HIGHLY improbable)

All this rigamoroll to say that, although it IS improbable that similarities in the genetic code of apes and humans exist by chance, this does NOT necessarily mean then that the only way this could have happened is if humans evolved from apes.

Call me a religious idiot if you like, but I can think of other possible reasons for the similarity. The way I see it, why waste a good genetic code if it works?

You may all start laughing now.

[ 08-23-2002 05:23 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Mara1Jade ]

--------------------

Small minds think in small terms!
~~CMH, creator and writer of Shayla Petrolu, Erik Kartan, Shawn Petrolu, Terrin Danner, Jasyn Lancaster, Matt Stanza, Aaron Barnes, And Taylor Garrison~~

Posts: 972 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 65.80.105.218

All times are CT
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05