my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » General Discussion   » Evolving (Page 5)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 

Printable Version
Author Topic: Evolving
estelita

Broken Back Button

Member # 511

posted 11-07-2003 01:56 PM     Profile for estelita   Author's Homepage   Email estelita     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Too bad I wasn't registered here a year ago...
Posts: 4 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  Logged: 130.166.30.59
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 11-07-2003 04:57 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
What, a year ago you were into science, and now you're not?

Glad you're here now.

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 67.0.76.13
estelita

Broken Back Button

Member # 511

posted 11-09-2003 04:10 PM     Profile for estelita   Author's Homepage   Email estelita     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Oops. I meant, the main discussion took place more than a year ago, too bad I wasn't here then. I'm still interested in science.
It was educational, though.

Posts: 4 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  Logged: 130.166.30.246
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 11-09-2003 05:50 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Well, if your interested, shoot away. The discussion came to an end about a year ago ya, but if you've got some new light, or something you'd like to say, say it. If its something new, or a new spin on an old idea, then im sure everyone will get flared up again and start to there mad argumental way's

One thing ive learned durring my stay here... Everyone that comes her really likes to discuss there opinions... it gets kinda interesting

--------------------

"Insert Snappy quote here"

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.219.51.121
estelita

Broken Back Button

Member # 511

posted 11-11-2003 05:27 PM     Profile for estelita   Author's Homepage   Email estelita     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Okay. Well I was happy to see that, upfront, the common misunderstanding of what a scientific theory really is was cleared up.

What weirded me out was that religion was brought up. I was surprised that people opposed the theory on religious grounds, but at the same time they said that evolution is just a theory. So did they have a problem with the theory because it went against their religious beliefs, or because they thought it was only a guess? That was in the first post.

Also I was confused about Mara1Jade's challenges to the theory. She mentioned there were a lot of holes but I couldn't find where she said what they are. I noticed the "correlation and causation" bit but I wasn't sure what that had to do with evolution.

Other than these questions, I'll look over these old posts and see what I can say in response.

Posts: 4 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  Logged: 130.166.30.65
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 11-11-2003 06:17 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Well, in respons to one of your questions i have this to say.

While im not a big religious tycoon, i think the main problem religious folk have with the theory of evolution is that it goes against the whole "Adam and Eve" thing. Because after all, if we evolved from apes, then Adam and Eve most likely did not exist.

And for more scientificle like aspects, you would have to turn to gray, as she is our Local Science wiz

--------------------

"Insert Snappy quote here"

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.219.51.177
estelita

Broken Back Button

Member # 511

posted 11-14-2003 02:11 PM     Profile for estelita   Author's Homepage   Email estelita     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Yep, I know the reason behind the religious objections, but I'm not sure if these people have only religious objections, or because they believe it's not science. Two different things. Maybe it's both, though.

Other than Mara's posts, I have a question about something Gray said. Sorry if she actually corrected this later and I missed it: She mentioned that the difference between scientific theory and scientific law is that a theory continually upheld by proof becomes a scientific law.
It was my understanding before, however, that a theory never becomes law; a hypothesis is what becomes law once it has been proven (I use the word proven somewhat loosely of course). A theory is something that explains the law, and doesn't become a law itself. So for evolution: evolution can be regarded as a law, that is, it states that organisms change over time. Then there are theories that explain this law, such as mutation, punctuated equilibrium, natural selection, genetic drift, all that stuff.

Also, I think that laws pretty much stay the same in our minds, because they're much simpler. Theories, however, are what constantly change as we add more to our pool of knowledge. If a law does have to get changed, then that's certainly a bigger deal.

Posts: 4 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  Logged: 130.166.30.52
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 11-15-2003 01:09 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Why is this being beat upon again, in this old thread?

Let us begin a new one, those who wish to get into this kind of a debate. For most of us, however, I believe enough has already been said.

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.253.2

All times are CT
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05