my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » General Discussion   » Evolving (Page 4)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 

Printable Version
Author Topic: Evolving
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-30-2002 04:09 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Wonders to herself how BobPalpatine can look at PROVEN FACT and say "it's not proven...."

Sheesh, how much more proof is there other than solid evidence of intelligent artistry 77,000 years old? The artifact WAS there, it DOES EXIST, and it HAS BEEN DATED accurately well into the "80,000-40,000 YBP blank spot" where all evidence of Man is supposed to up and disappear.

Good grief man, believe what you want. But please don't belittle your intelligence or mine by your repeated statements that what I am presenting here is not factual...

BECAUSE IT IS.

Glyph flares into ultraviolet....

[ 08-30-2002 04:10 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.96.79
BobPalpatine

Foo Fighter

Member # 17

posted 08-30-2002 11:16 AM     Profile for BobPalpatine   Author's Homepage   Email BobPalpatine     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Gray, I was trying to drop out of this gracefully, but man, you guys are stubborn. I do NOT want to argue anymore...

And what I was saying is that evolution is NOT proven, and you cannot say it is. There are still way to many holes in the theory for it to be proven.

And as dating things go, that is very hard to do, because it is all based on circular reasoning. And if you don't know what I am talking about, then oh well. I give up. I'm trying to drop it before things get worse than they are...

--------------------

"Can't you hear my motored heart? Your the one that started it!"

-Foo Fighters "Generator"

Cogito ergo sum

BobPalpatine
Holonet Admin

Posts: 681 | From: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  Logged: 204.184.55.71
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 08-30-2002 03:38 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Blake, about me being a dick, you've known me quite a long time, you should know the answer to that.

Ya know, you say you will believe evolution only when it is proven without a doubt. Since when is God, or religion as a whole proven fact?

Look, step out of your holiness. Humans are naturally curious, they always have been. We didn't know why we were here or how we got here or how the sun and the moon floated in the sky, or why it got dark. We wanted to know, it was natural human curiousity. Most of the world to them was completely unexplainable, so, it must have been something better than them, something that understood it all, who created it. It caught on. How much simpler can I say it than that?

It caught on and is what you believe today. I have no idea how, but you do. Take one moment to consider the fact that God doesn't exist. If he does, he won't be mad, remember, he's merciful, and loving.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 12.220.189.75
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-30-2002 04:10 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hmmm... "dating is based on circular reasoning???"

SINCE WHEN?

Ummm... excuse me, but there is another little fact called RADIOMETRIC DATING, which is HOW we date the rock record, and it goes by the amount of daughter products there are in ratio to the naturally radioactive minerals which exist in EVERYTHING, EVEN PEOPLE.

For living organisms, we use carbon-14. It has a half-life of 5700 years (for you non-science majors, that is half of the original radioactive material decays into known products in that amount of time. Beginning with one whole, at the end of 5700 years the ratio is 50-50; at the end of another 5700 years it is 25:75, and so on. For materials older than what can be dated using C-14, we use elements which have radioactive half-lives in the millions, and sometime even billions of years. We can pinpoint quite accurately, and then zero in using known rock strata and the relative position of the find to that strata.

I hardly call this "circular reasoning," Rather it is factual evidence, and PROVEN IN THE LAB. I've done it myself.

Oh by the way, if you think radioactivity is something mysterious found only in nuclear explosions or bad sci-fi movies, think again. As I said, there is natural radioactivity everywhere; ever heard of radon? It's a natural by-product (one of the daughter products, in fact) of the radioactive decay of uranium which is found in ordinary granite... yes, that purty stone we make buildings and floors out of! ...and in some parts of the country is actually a worrisome problem.

Oh yes, to clarify further: radioactive decay is when a big nucleus (has a lot of protons, and waaaayyyyy too many neutrons) spontaneously breaks down and forms nuclei of smaller elements (less protons in the nucleus, but still to many neutrons, hence the process continues) with the simultaneous release of energy in the form of gamma radiation (among other things). Still don't believe this happens? Ummm... it's what powers the sun, and how it works, and this we have proven because we've caught the particles emitted from the sun, not to mention with further study have theorized the emission of the elusive neutrino which was said to be let off in supernovae... which we finally did in turn really prove by capturing some when Supernova 1987A went off in the Small Magellanic Cloud....

Anyway, I digress. But PLEASE, don't EVEN BEGIN to try to make a statement concerning something of which you obviously have no knowledge without checking the facts. Radiometric dating WORKS. Radiation EXISTS. And each radioactive element has it's own unique half-life, simply because each different element has a different sized nucleus from other elements.

Your turn....

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.209.6
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-30-2002 04:25 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
And may I also point out some of the wonderful things Mankind has done to itself in the name of religion: Spanish Inquisition, Salem Witch Trials, basically the Middle Ages, the wonderful Crusades... oh yeah, and let's not forget September 11, 2001... just to name a few off the top of my head.

And before anyone starts throwing the atomic bomb back at me let me say that was at the rather strong behest of the government backed by the military. Every scientist working on the Manhattan Project was horrified by what the implications were of what they had created, and Einstein the most mortified of them all... but Germany was leading the heavy water experiment race, and after all we were at war....

And really, come to think about it, no one has ever managed to satisfactorily answer a question I put forth somewhere along the way in this forum (not this thread): ON A GLOBAL SCALE, who's religion is right? I mean, who wins out in the end? Where is the OBJECTIVE determining factor???

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.188.199
Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 08-30-2002 04:54 PM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
ok so slightly off topic but - GS where have you done the Radiometric Dating??? What is it that you do anyway???? That equipment can get expensive!!!!

Anyway your radon problems comment reminded me of the "genius" pottery company from teh 20s (can't remember the company name for the life of me) that uses a uranium based glaze to give thier dishes a gorgeous vibrant orange color... Something tells me that is not such a smart idea to own - and esp not to eat off of...

--------------------

A friend once told me "The Turtle Moves" I think we should all remember that right now...
Don't dance to live, live to dance!

Posts: 319 | From: Wandering the planet | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 204.168.82.9
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-30-2002 05:55 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Sample countings, Department of Physics, Drake University, Des Moines, Iowa.

And there is also a glass made with uranium in it which has a beautiful chartreuse color. Very difficult to come by now.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.209.6
BobPalpatine

Foo Fighter

Member # 17

posted 08-31-2002 12:08 AM     Profile for BobPalpatine   Author's Homepage   Email BobPalpatine     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Sorry Gray I did say that funny...

What I meant was that to get an acturate dating process you need a completely pure substance and such, and well that is almost impossible.

I was reading an article about it just the other day about how Carbon-14 dating is not as reliable as it we once thought it was.

And puh-lease, don't act like I don't know anything. I know what radiation is...geez...

--------------------

Cogito ergo sum

BobPalpatine
Holonet Admin

Posts: 681 | From: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  Logged: 204.184.55.151
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-31-2002 04:09 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Ummm... excuse me again, but in what journal did you read this article about the "inaccuracy" of C-14 dating??? You neglected to elucidate further: Of COURSE to get a completely accurate reading down to the very date you need a completely pure sample, but ones used by science fall well within the parameters of error allowed it. I scarcely think this negates it's use entirely, since that percentage of error is ALWAYS STATED.

Radiometric dating is still accepted as the means of accurately dating samples, and when used IN TANDEM with relative dating methods (by reading the actual rock, and noting the position of something relative to the rock, and following those layers out to other areas on earth, and so on, sheesh, go read a basic geology course book....) we can narrow in upon the age of something purty durn close. For example, in the case of something dated around 4 billion years, we can narrow it (using radiometric dating of minerals and an element with a loooong half-life) to within a million years, which sounds like a lot but is really what, about 2.5% of error, I believe. This is because we use something other than C-14 for the dating, and are dating crystals and not bits of material and so forth. 2.5% of error is really quite low....

Of course the samples dated in the "ochre stamp 77,000 years old" were zircon crystals found in lithified volcanic ash (this makes a rock known as tuff) -- in which the ochre stamp was embedded; ie: it got covered and preserved in what obviously was a volcanic eruption, and buried in ash -- and you just can't get any purer than mineral crystals which form in cooling rock. I'd say that ochre stamp was dated well within the standard allowable error limits, but again, I'm hunting for the original publication to see exactly what percentage of error they came up with. I'm betting it's 2.5% or less....lessee, which translates into 1,925 years off in either direction... making the ochre stamp then dating as being within a range of 78,925 to 75,075 years old.

--------------------

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-31-2002 04:28 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Oh yes, and to clarify as to why I'm betting on the error in the case of the ochre stamp being 2.5% or less: it's because the article said they used the zircon crystals for dating, and I know that to date zircon crystals they use the particular radiometric element in zircon that has the looooong half life, which is how they also radiometrically date rock (ie, the above example of 4 billion year old rock being dated to within 1 million years used zircon crystals to date it)-- it's the same procedure, so logic dictates the same procedure therefore has the same percentage of error. Again, I am hunting for the original article for actual verification of the error, but sheesh, even if it was way over into the 10% range (acceptable error falls within 3-5% error, and in physics labs we're nice and allow up to 10%, aren't we nice that way?): in the 77,000 year old ochre stamp that translates into 7,700 years off in either direction, which when compared to 77,000 years as a whole really isn't very much. The range of error would then put the ochre stamp as being anywhere from 69,300 to 84,700 years old... and of course the upper end would be ignored since we're trying to prove how OLD the thing is. So using 10% of error (which borders being unacceptable) even then the ochre stamp would be about 69,300 years old, and still well within the "40,000-80,000 blank spot" when all evidence of man is supposed to entirely have disappeared off the face of the earth.

That little stamp, and the other artifacts found with it, just kinda blows that whole statement clear out of the water now, doesn't it?

--------------------

Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 08-31-2002 12:11 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Ok, i know you all will hate me for this, but ive just proven evolution beyond anything you guy's have with all your research...(gotta love dictionaries, right?) nnyway. here is the BASIC meaning, it is not what you guy's are talking about persay, but as long as this meaning holds true, which forever it will, then that which you speak of is true as well.
"
(1) : a process of continuous change from a lower, simpler, or worse to a higher, more complex, or better state : GROWTH (2) : a process of gradual and relatively peaceful social, political, and economic advance "
this was from webster.com, i also looked it up in my home dictionary, and it was described as "a change to the better in gradual steps or stages"

look at it, rather then try to prove that BOOM humans evolved from this, lead backwards slowly, i find small steps work best in these things.

Look at our technology now, now, compar this to when our parants were growing up... BIG DIFFERENCE, theres a "step or stage" of positive growth right there. so, mentaly, Evolution is now proven beyond a doubt, our minds evolved. now for the biological front.

Look at our change from the past, life has changed imensly from the past. If evolution did not exist, then i would be married with a few kids right now, cause i would die in about 3 years, maybe 5 if i live a good life. our body's have evolved incredably, look at it, the average life expectancy used to be 20 years old, 30 if yer lucky 40 was almost unheard of, now look, people are living to be like 98, 102, thats a BIG difference? why? some say conditions are better, but its really because of disease...and why are we not having to worry about those diseases that plagued the world back when you died a hapily maried man at 20, with 3 kids and a loving wife?
Evolution, our body's have evolved to survive, developing immunities to diseases we have troubles with.
OK, now into the true topic at hand. weve discovered our minds evolve with time, well, if you drag yourself back far enough, we'd be no more advanced then current day gorrilia's and such, we'd bald ape's. on the body half, well, our size has changed a bit to, i mean, a 6' 1" boy such as myself just didnt exist a while back, its been proven that as we advance, we hold the capabilities of being taller, as simple as it may seem.
so, if we can get taller, why not lose a little hair? i mean, actauly, the hairs still there! its just lighter colored! so, with this said, we are blound apes with different hair on top, there are red apes, and black apes, and all other kindsa apes out there, so, we are just a light colored being, that happens to be very similer to apes in every aspect? i think not, sorry to say it, but evolution has just been proven,
"brillent deduction" its all about the small steps leading to the leaps. through process of basics, we find that we are indeed apes, that have simply grown smarter, and changed hair color.

But, i know, even those suporting evolution will most likely diss-agree with me, oh well, i still say im right.

[ 08-31-2002 12:21 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Entaris ]

--------------------

"Insert Snappy quote here"

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.219.51.176
BobPalpatine

Foo Fighter

Member # 17

posted 08-31-2002 08:55 PM     Profile for BobPalpatine   Author's Homepage   Email BobPalpatine     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Gray, I will try and find the article for you, but after that I really want to be done with the argument. I'm just trying to get my point across that right now neither of us are proven.

Entaris, just because technology has gotten so much better doesn't mean we evolve. It just means we learn on the knowledge we get. Of course we know more today, because we learn from our past.

And the life expectacy thing. That is mainly because of modern medicine, and the way we eat nowadays. Most women died at an early age due to child birth and other things, not because we are gentically superior.

--------------------

Cogito ergo sum

BobPalpatine
Holonet Admin

Posts: 681 | From: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  Logged: 204.184.55.163
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 08-31-2002 09:46 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Umm...knowledge is a part of evolution. Look at the logic. I mean, we are in every way an ape, the only thing that seporates us from gorrilaz is our knowledge, our genetic makeup is slightly different, yes, thats where the evolution comes back, i mean. and as for life expectancy, it is our body's changed, adapting to disease, the buety of our little T cell, which is indeed evolution, because we are changed, in steps, many diseases that killed millions dont exist anymore, not because of modern medicine, persay, but rather, our evolution. our body's grew immun to them, which is a step forward in our genetic makeup, yes, it started with medicine, but where did these medicines come from? a child that was suddenly born able to fight the disease, they studied what it was that this kid has, and implant that in us, its forced, but its evolution none the less.

I would like to know though, what YOUR thoughts on the differences are, what seperates an ape from a human? what makes us different, in your opinion. because i personaly can not find anything besides knowledge...

--------------------

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.219.51.52
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 08-31-2002 11:41 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Entaris, this "discussion" is about what we commonly call evolution. The dictionary meaning of the word doesn't exactly match it, no, but we're talking about the Theory of Evolution. Of course society has evolved over the years, it always has.

Blake, you're right, neither side is proven beyond a doubt. But, my side has scientific evidence that backs it up. Yours has none. Why do you ignore scientific evidence?

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 12.220.189.75
BobPalpatine

Foo Fighter

Member # 17

posted 09-01-2002 12:39 AM     Profile for BobPalpatine   Author's Homepage   Email BobPalpatine     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I beleive that cell structures show intelligent design, and that is scientific evidence, because if you take away one peice of a cell structure, the whole thing won't work. So how did the whole thing evolve into the whole structure?

I just think that the way everything is shows an intelligent design. That is just me, and like I said, I respect your veiws, but until proven, I will beleive what I beleive to be true.

--------------------

Cogito ergo sum

BobPalpatine
Holonet Admin

Posts: 681 | From: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  Logged: 204.184.55.101
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 09-01-2002 01:11 AM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
But Blake, why do you choose to believe the theory with less/no evidence as compared to the theory with a whole lot of evidence?

--------------------

Support Progress

Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 09-01-2002 01:17 AM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
*sigh* maybe i should just shut up...no one truly understands a word i say...

I am talking about the theory of evelution, look at the post bery carefully, as ive said, you have to look at the small changes in order to see the big, "rome wasnt built in a day"

If you look at how our sociaty has evolved, is incredibly simple to say the "theory of evolution" is completly correct, why? because as we go further back in socioty, were more apelike, less evolved. eventauly, the social structure of humanity, has to reach a point that it is akin to the apes, and as we are simply strangly haired apes in appearance, then what seperates us? we had to start somewhere, apparantly it was the apes.
But after this post im out here again, as no one understands my incredibly mind numbing logic...

all you peeps need to remember, though "the simplist explaination is usaly the correct one" and i mean not simple to say, simple to search out the complex. but no one will understand what im saying, cept maybe graysith, as she seemed to understand my first "logical" post on the thread, but oh well. *sigh*

--------------------

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.225.96.21
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-01-2002 04:01 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Er, Bob... you're going to go try to find the article I'm looking for, the original, professional write-up about that ochre stamp??? (The article I posted was one put out for the layman; I'm hunting for the original scientific one, and I have no idea what journal it would be in. "Journal of Archeology?" -- it's going to be hard, since I have no authors to go by, but hey, I've done research before....)

Anyway Bob -- GEE THANKS! THAT'S AWFULLY BIG OF YA!

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.188.199
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-01-2002 04:21 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Entaris -- I most certainly have read and do understand your posts. YES the term evolution most certainly does apply to society's progress over time. You ARE correct: evolution means "growth." But maybe instead of what you call knowledge, it is more of a self-awareness of one's own knowledge which separates man from beast. Is that what you mean?

Anakin, thank you for being the steady one in this thread -- as well as staying true to your course of questions you put forth to Bob. I too am curious as to how a person will totally ignore proven fact that HIGHLY SUPPORTS a theory over no fact whatsoever, and what I've read in certain articles to be called "crackpot science."

"Crackpot science" only listens to a part... not the whole... and tends to skew the data, and use only the bits which may support its own views, and tends to ignore the rest.

Hence my reference to the article from the website Bob provided the link for... the statement about the "40,000-80,000 YBP disappearance of any evidence of man." I have then gone on to present fact to utterly disprove that rather grandiose statement... and now Bob is backing away once more.

And now, ummm.... from what I am reading in "Genome," evidence leads science to now think upon the exact "hows and whys" single cells did unite to form more complex organisms. At first it was along the lines that organisms unite symbiotically, to be more efficient as a group together rather than singly. Eventually they actually went from a group to a "one, made up of those group members" -- see mitochondria in our cells, folks, if you don't believe me. Hehehe... that lil powerhouse of ATP used to be a separate single-celled organism which way back in the mists of time found home in a cell and joined in to provide that cell energy, and in return have a place safe from predation. This we know because the mitochondria has a double cell wall around it, among other things.

Anyway, science is going further. There is evidence springing up from our learning to understand genetics more deeply, where genes are said to be in competition with each other, and thus evolve to a more complex organism that they might find expression of themselves. In this enlightening new school of knowledge it is being heavily considered that intelligence is actually just a by-product of our genes trying to "run the show," so to speak.... hehehe.

And... will SOMEONE please offer me some kind of NON-SUBJECTIVE evidence as to WHICH SCHOOL OF RELIGIOUS THOUGHT IS RIGHT? Which is the one in the Grand Scheme of Things... AND WHY???

--------------------

Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 09-01-2002 04:30 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
ummm...well, hrmm...which ones right? *points to a random religion* that one is... umm...well, lets see, who came along first? i bleive it was the idea that the shiny rock they stubbed there toe on was angered... SO they gave it an alter, and worhsiped it, and every once in a while some rain made there crops grow better, and some guy that should have died didnt. and so they called the rock "umba tummak" or in the modern language "Mirical bringer" and ah...well yes, as youve probably figured out, im spit ballin here.

--------------------

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.225.96.93
Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 09-01-2002 10:03 PM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hmmmm GS - that sounds like a glass I'd like to have in my house - what were these people thinking when they made this stuff out of potentially hazardous materials.... I guess we'll never know...

Anyway I digress so I'll leave now as I never took Bio and so have nothing to really add to this conversation as fun as it is to read.

--------------------

A friend once told me "The Turtle Moves" I think we should all remember that right now...
Don't dance to live, live to dance!

Posts: 319 | From: Wandering the planet | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 204.168.82.9
Taehun

Dark Jedi

Member # 290

posted 09-02-2002 01:24 AM     Profile for Taehun   Author's Homepage   Email Taehun     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
***WARNING: THIS REPLY IS HEAVILY LOADED WITH PERSONAL FAITHS AND RELIGIOUS BELIEFS. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED***

Hmm...I'm only going to make one reply to this topic.

Yes, I am a Christian, and no, I do not believe in large-scale evolution. I'm going to take a diferent spin on this, because while I've been following this thread for a few days, I didn't know where to jump in.

All I'm going to say is this. I am very much of an instinctual person. I trust my feelings and I go with them. I definately have a lot of respect for M1J and BobPalpatine because they've done a lot of personal reading and research on how they can back up their faith, and I'll admit that I haven't. I know that Gray and Anakin won't think my reply very logical, but it's not meant to be logical. The reason I don't believe in large scale evolution is because of the experiences that I have in life as a Christian. I truly believe that I can feel God's presence with me wherever I am, and it makes me happy. There's always been something in my gut that what I hear on Sunday mornings and what I read in the Bible is the truth. It's also one of the reasons why I still wake up in the morning, but that's another story altogether. Anyway, because I believe that God created everything with a few simple words from his mouth, I do not believe that any animal(or creature/being, whatever) was 'created' or came about through large-scale evolution.

That's my two cents.

[ 09-02-2002 01:38 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Taehun ]

--------------------

All in all it was just another brick in the wall,
all in all you were just another brick in the wall.

Posts: 248 | From: USAFA, CO | Registered: Jul 2002  |  Logged: 198.81.26.170
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 09-02-2002 02:37 AM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Ok, id have to say, faith is a good thing, ive stated this before, and yes, i do believe in god, but knowledge in my opinion, must always take priority over faith. I believe that perhaps god simply made the rules, then said "ok, now im gonna watch ya'll, maybe ill help out here and there, and give people something to believe in before they figure out the rules ive set for them..." and i know, this will probably be taken as offensive in no manor am i trying to say that those that believe in god are ignorant, cause im not, i try to find fault with EVERYTHING as some of you might have noticed, im the kinda guy that looks at a science book, and a bible, and try's to tear both to shreds... cept mostly i can only seem to disproove bible facts... i have found faults with science before though, so there, ha! a did it! i suported the other side of this thread for once!
anyway, ya, i just wanna finish up my own two cents with this. "whatever you believe in, dont let anyone tell you its crap, find your own answers, because your perspective changes knowledge to its fullest." i mean, i wear a silver chain that only leaves my neck when im showering, and whats it for? to me its a little reminder to hold faith...
I donno, im a wee tad off topic, this is just my closing statement.
hmm... *tries to remember what science fact he disproved...* maybe it was a math fact? i donno...somethign along the lines of physics, or math...

--------------------

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.227.22.92
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-02-2002 02:34 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Chuckles, and taps Entaris lightly on the shoulder again....

May I remind you that unlike some schools of thought, science always tries to disprove itself? The overall aim is for TRUTH to be known, after all.

And it takes LOTS AND LOTS of not only reproducible but PREDICTABLE evidence to make a scientific theory into a law. But then science doesn't refuse disproving fact which would topple that law; instead it uses it as a means of GROWTH, to further seek the truth. ie: Obviously, when disproving facts arise (again, reproducible an predicting factual ones!!! -- and ones which of course cannot themselves be disproven, for if that were the case they wouldn't be fact) then science has been on the wrong track. Science seeks truth, and so would backtrack to where the initial error was made, and then continue.

That is the wonderful thing about science. It actively seeks facts, whether proving or disproving, in order to find truth. It does not ignore those facts which fly in the face of a formerly held truth, which is something I find religion/faith does all the time.

And the main reason is this: science is OBJECTIVE, while faith is based on very, very much SUBJECTIVE reasoning. Faith sprang up from, "I don't reeeeally understand how all this works, so it MUST be due to God...." while science says, "Here, look! I've found this and this and this...."

And now you know... the rest of the story...!

--------------------

Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 09-02-2002 08:28 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
ya, science is fun...cause you get to try to find fault with stuff... Though i find that them fully trained dudes in there fields are very hard to go head to head with...
you know what, im gonna go see if i can find out how many universes existed before this one... then after that im gonna try to predict when the universe will be destroyed by a random reacurrance of that which created it... Anyone wanna join me? *searches on yahoo for the words "end/creation of the universe" *

anyway, i, id like to suggest that perhaps umm... well, maybe we should get together and play monopoly? that game fixes everything... *pulls out his wieghted dice* fifty bucks say's i win...

--------------------

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.227.22.199

All times are CT
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05