my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » The Doctor Is In   » "StressBusters" (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Printable Version
Author Topic: "StressBusters"
Mara1Jade

Expanded Universe Goddess and Corran Obsessor

Member # 68

posted 02-24-2003 10:56 PM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Allright, I know we all get stressed out every once and a while, and some of us more than others (for instance, ME!)

So this is the thread for everyone to talk about those things that they do to relieve stress. My stressbusters are listening to music, watching movies, playing my flute or guitar and...

*drumroll*

...Writing!

Anybody else got interesting ways to relieve stress? Maybe you'll suggest something someone else hasn't thought of!

[ 02-24-2003 10:57 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Mara1Jade ]

--------------------

Small minds think in small terms!
~~CMH, creator and writer of Shayla Petrolu, Erik Kartan, Shawn Petrolu, Terrin Danner, Jasyn Lancaster, Matt Stanza, Aaron Barnes, And Taylor Garrison~~

Posts: 975 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 66.20.157.191
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 02-24-2003 11:01 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hehe...

I have a nasty tendency toward going out driving down the interstate yellling at trees... but that's when I'm REALLY mad.

Usually I try to talk my way (to myself; I'm a terminal analyst, heh) all around and into the stressful situation, and see how it truly affects me... or if its honestly worth the energy of getting stressed out over.

If that fails, writing or listening to music doth hath their charms.

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.188.199
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 02-24-2003 11:07 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have no way of relieving stress, except sleeping and talking to Graysith. I want to start writing in a journal, but the bookstore is so very far away...

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 12.220.189.20
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 02-24-2003 11:26 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Keep a journal on your computer. Or use any ol' paper. You can always just stick it together with brads or something, or take it to Kinko's Copies or somewhere and get it spiral-bound later.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.188.199
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 02-24-2003 11:45 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I twitch and convulse until I knock myself out with rage...

That, or murder baseballs in my back yard...

If this post offends, I appologize...

--------------------

In the absence of light, darkness prevails

Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 65.80.162.18
Taehun

Dark Jedi

Member # 290

posted 02-25-2003 01:01 AM     Profile for Taehun   Author's Homepage   Email Taehun     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Loban:
I twitch and convulse until I knock myself out with rage...

You forgot the part about salivating all over the place while you're twitching on the floor.

Actually, a real good stress reliever for me is weight lifting...If I didn't have weight training 3rd period, there'd be no need to cremate me because I would just spontaneously combust.

--------------------

All in all it was just another brick in the wall,
all in all you were just another brick in the wall.

Posts: 248 | From: USAFA, CO | Registered: Jul 2002  |  Logged: 198.81.26.170
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 02-25-2003 02:02 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And the bad news is you'd still have to pay for a coffin!

Isn't that just ridiculous? When you're cremated you still have to pay for a coffin that gets cremated with you.

And it's not even as fancy as the $5,000 jobs they bury you in, sheesh.

But I digress... resistance training is a great way of relieving tension. If it doesn't kill you first!

I'm currently going to a gym, since my job conflicts with taekwondo classes and I just hit the treadmill and put 'er on about 5% grade and go for the fastest walk I can keep up.

That works, too.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.209.6
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 02-25-2003 02:06 AM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
*prefers killing baseballs...

hey, if you're gonna work out... don't make it work...

--------------------

Taehun

Dark Jedi

Member # 290

posted 02-25-2003 02:17 AM     Profile for Taehun   Author's Homepage   Email Taehun     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tae kwon do, huh? Tae kwon do by itself should be a pretty good workout, especially in terms of flexibility. It's too bad you can't go to your classes anymore.

I miss going to tae kwon do...I still go out and kick the punching bag every once in a while though. Like Loban says, killing stuff like baseballs or the punching bag works great too.

[ 02-25-2003 02:20 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Taehun ]

--------------------

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 02-25-2003 02:23 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, taekwondo....

Pilsan!

*Bows*

I really, really miss it; I wish they had day classes. I made it up to high green, and I really wanted to get through brown at least.

Maybe I can just go hang at the school and practice anyway, ya think?

Anyway, here's another stressbuster: cozying up in either a nice sleeping bag or a quilt, with cats tucked in with you, purring... eating honey roasted peanuts and reading a Pat McManus book, in particular, "The Grasshopper Trap."

Now that's a sure-fire way to get rid of any tension whatsoever... especially the cats.

Wishes to point out that having pets does decrease hypertension and stress levels, and promotes a longer life. This too has been supported by studies.

Hmmm.... Considering the zoo I live with, I ought to live until the 24th century!

[ 02-25-2003 02:43 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.209.6
arogers1102

Super Saiyan Jedi

Member # 422

posted 02-25-2003 05:55 AM     Profile for arogers1102   Author's Homepage   Email arogers1102     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
MARA, MARA, MARA... you had to mention FLUTE... Now you get it... "and this one time at JEDI CAMP, I shoved a FLUTE...." you know the rest! If not you will have to watch AMERICAN PIE 1

--------------------

o{///////0//)={#################################
Which STAR WARS character does GOKU remind you of in my avatar picture???
Anybody picture LUKE in the BACTA tank???

Posts: 105 | From: New Brunswick (eastern CANADA) | Registered: Feb 2003  |  Logged: 63.88.67.230
Mara1Jade

Member # 68

posted 02-25-2003 09:49 AM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh GOD I hate that movie. Every time I mention flute someone just HAS to bring it up...

--------------------

~~CMH, creator and writer of Shayla Petrolu, Erik Kartan, Shawn Petrolu, Terrin Danner, Jasyn Lancaster, Matt Stanza, Aaron Barnes, And Taylor Garrison~~

Posts: 975 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 66.20.157.191
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 02-25-2003 02:12 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If this is brought up once more, I'm quitting the boards... honestly...

That's just wrong...

--------------------

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 02-25-2003 02:44 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Let's get rid of stress, not produce it...

Speaking of stressbusters, and flutes (heh) has anyone ever heard a bass flute? Wonderful instrument, just rumbles right through your system and knocks any anger/stress right out of you.

I've heard these in coffeeshops... which is another nice way of relieving stress. Go out, get a nice cappuchino, and listen to highbrow-style music.

--------------------

Taehun

Dark Jedi

Member # 290

posted 02-25-2003 08:19 PM     Profile for Taehun   Author's Homepage   Email Taehun     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That just reminded me of another great stress buster for me - playing the bass guitar. I like just playing it every once in a while whenever I've got nothing better to do. It's usually a pretty good way to relieve stress, until I realize I shouldn't have quit taking lessons so early, and then I have to pay another visit to the punching bag.

--------------------

Mara1Jade

Member # 68

posted 02-25-2003 10:54 PM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You took bass guitar lessons Taehun? Cool!

--------------------

Posts: 975 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 65.80.104.9
Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 03-03-2003 07:55 PM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I go buy books - and avoid HW for a night - but i don't think I'm very successful at this whole stress relief thing since laast weekend at the Horse Show we had to take a stress test (they have mandatory health things they have to go over with all their Varsity teams) and I scored ( pretty accurately too) a 408 - when the scale says that 250 is averagely high and 500 is seek professional help NOW.... What is that saying.... hmmmm....

--------------------

A friend once told me "The Turtle Moves" I think we should all remember that right now...
Don't dance to live, live to dance!

Posts: 319 | From: Wandering the planet | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 204.168.82.9
Dash Kelderon

On the Road to Redemption

Member # 427

posted 04-06-2003 05:28 AM     Profile for Dash Kelderon   Author's Homepage   Email Dash Kelderon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, PADME... you have to calm down. You are gonna burst a blood vessel or something! Just take a night to yourself. Pour a nice hot bath, sip on a cup of GEVALIA coffee. (If you need to order GEVALIA coffee the number is 1-800-GEVALIA or 1-800-438-2542) You may even get to talk to me. (ADAM) If this doesn't help you to relax I don't know what will!

--------------------

Those 2 guys may be IDIOTS... but they think the same way I do!

Posts: 655 | From: M.I,A | Registered: Feb 2003  |  Logged: 63.88.67.230
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 04-15-2003 03:23 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Listening to music...

--------------------

"I am here to redeem myself. See, The Fate of the universe lies in my hands! I will take up the challenge!"

-Lumbia Whitfield

Posts: 1143 | From: In space... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 12.213.76.134
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 06-24-2003 12:17 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How does coffie help you relax dash? when caffiene is a freaken stimulant! it kinda does the exact oposite...

Oh hey people, i could be a little late to this thread, but who cares! :P

Stress relief... Heh, great stuff... I once had no stress at all... I took a stress test and it gave me 11% stressed out... and the average TOTALY NOT STRESSED person was at 33% stressed...

It said the only way for me to become more relaxed would be to be put into a coma...

Im kinda afraid to take that test right now though ya... Im kinda going crazy... But you know what i find helps... Listen to celtic music while doing tai' chi excersizes...

Specialy "loorina McKinnit" im pretty sure its not spelled that way, but ya, its great music...

Anyway... Just thought id jump in for the heck of it

--------------------

"Insert Snappy quote here"

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.219.51.58
Dash Kelderon

Member # 427

posted 06-25-2003 01:10 PM     Profile for Dash Kelderon   Author's Homepage   Email Dash Kelderon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just one word for you ENTARIS

DECAFFINATED!

--------------------

Posts: 655 | From: M.I,A | Registered: Feb 2003  |  Logged: 24.233.122.164
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 06-26-2003 12:59 AM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Decaffinated coffie... Ok... Now i ask you... WHATS THE POINT! drink some milk.. Or water... Or juice...

Heck, drink some nice warm tea! no point in calling of Coffie if its got no caffine in it!

--------------------

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.225.96.76
Dash Kelderon

Member # 427

posted 06-26-2003 03:35 AM     Profile for Dash Kelderon   Author's Homepage   Email Dash Kelderon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
In case you weren't aware Entaris... Tea has almost as much caffine as coffee!

--------------------

Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 06-26-2003 11:16 AM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Duh dash, tea has a purpose as a decafinated beverage, which is the only type i drink.

Coffie on the other hand should never be decafinated, decafinated coffie is pointless and utterly abserd!

But then again, im against coffie and caffine and all that as it is... I probably wont be drinking tea that much either...

WOOOW I RULE! i managed to give up soda! havnt drinken a caffinated beverage in about a month now! HAHA IM THE BEST! will power of steel!

--------------------

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.227.22.248
Dash Kelderon

Member # 427

posted 06-27-2003 03:37 AM     Profile for Dash Kelderon   Author's Homepage   Email Dash Kelderon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I quit smoking like 10 months ago now! Give that a try and come see me!

Assuming that you already smoke that is.

It's not a fun couple of weeks when you first quit!

--------------------

All times are CT
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05