The Holonet Boards   » The Doctor Is In   » "StressBusters"

Mara1Jade

posted 02-24-2003 10:56 PM    
Allright, I know we all get stressed out every once and a while, and some of us more than others (for instance, ME!)

So this is the thread for everyone to talk about those things that they do to relieve stress. My stressbusters are listening to music, watching movies, playing my flute or guitar and...

*drumroll*

...Writing!

Anybody else got interesting ways to relieve stress? Maybe you'll suggest something someone else hasn't thought of!

[ 02-24-2003 10:57 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Mara1Jade ]

Graysith

posted 02-24-2003 11:01 PM    
Hehe...

I have a nasty tendency toward going out driving down the interstate yellling at trees... but that's when I'm REALLY mad.

Usually I try to talk my way (to myself; I'm a terminal analyst, heh) all around and into the stressful situation, and see how it truly affects me... or if its honestly worth the energy of getting stressed out over.

If that fails, writing or listening to music doth hath their charms.

Anakin

posted 02-24-2003 11:07 PM    
I have no way of relieving stress, except sleeping and talking to Graysith. I want to start writing in a journal, but the bookstore is so very far away...

Graysith

posted 02-24-2003 11:26 PM    
Keep a journal on your computer. Or use any ol' paper. You can always just stick it together with brads or something, or take it to Kinko's Copies or somewhere and get it spiral-bound later.

Loban

posted 02-24-2003 11:45 PM    
I twitch and convulse until I knock myself out with rage...

That, or murder baseballs in my back yard...

If this post offends, I appologize...

Taehun

posted 02-25-2003 01:01 AM    
quote:
Originally posted by Loban:
I twitch and convulse until I knock myself out with rage...

You forgot the part about salivating all over the place while you're twitching on the floor.

Actually, a real good stress reliever for me is weight lifting...If I didn't have weight training 3rd period, there'd be no need to cremate me because I would just spontaneously combust.

Graysith

posted 02-25-2003 02:02 AM    
And the bad news is you'd still have to pay for a coffin!

Isn't that just ridiculous? When you're cremated you still have to pay for a coffin that gets cremated with you.

And it's not even as fancy as the $5,000 jobs they bury you in, sheesh.

But I digress... resistance training is a great way of relieving tension. If it doesn't kill you first!

I'm currently going to a gym, since my job conflicts with taekwondo classes and I just hit the treadmill and put 'er on about 5% grade and go for the fastest walk I can keep up.

That works, too.

Loban

posted 02-25-2003 02:06 AM    
*prefers killing baseballs...

hey, if you're gonna work out... don't make it work...

Taehun

posted 02-25-2003 02:17 AM    
Tae kwon do, huh? Tae kwon do by itself should be a pretty good workout, especially in terms of flexibility. It's too bad you can't go to your classes anymore.

I miss going to tae kwon do...I still go out and kick the punching bag every once in a while though. Like Loban says, killing stuff like baseballs or the punching bag works great too.

[ 02-25-2003 02:20 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Taehun ]

Graysith

posted 02-25-2003 02:23 AM    
Yes, taekwondo....

Pilsan!

*Bows*

I really, really miss it; I wish they had day classes. I made it up to high green, and I really wanted to get through brown at least.

Maybe I can just go hang at the school and practice anyway, ya think?

Anyway, here's another stressbuster: cozying up in either a nice sleeping bag or a quilt, with cats tucked in with you, purring... eating honey roasted peanuts and reading a Pat McManus book, in particular, "The Grasshopper Trap."

Now that's a sure-fire way to get rid of any tension whatsoever... especially the cats.

Wishes to point out that having pets does decrease hypertension and stress levels, and promotes a longer life. This too has been supported by studies.

Hmmm.... Considering the zoo I live with, I ought to live until the 24th century!

[ 02-25-2003 02:43 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

arogers1102

posted 02-25-2003 05:55 AM    
MARA, MARA, MARA... you had to mention FLUTE... Now you get it... "and this one time at JEDI CAMP, I shoved a FLUTE...." you know the rest! If not you will have to watch AMERICAN PIE 1

Mara1Jade

posted 02-25-2003 09:49 AM    
Oh GOD I hate that movie. Every time I mention flute someone just HAS to bring it up...

Loban

posted 02-25-2003 02:12 PM    
If this is brought up once more, I'm quitting the boards... honestly...

That's just wrong...

Graysith

posted 02-25-2003 02:44 PM    
Let's get rid of stress, not produce it...

Speaking of stressbusters, and flutes (heh) has anyone ever heard a bass flute? Wonderful instrument, just rumbles right through your system and knocks any anger/stress right out of you.

I've heard these in coffeeshops... which is another nice way of relieving stress. Go out, get a nice cappuchino, and listen to highbrow-style music.

Taehun

posted 02-25-2003 08:19 PM    
That just reminded me of another great stress buster for me - playing the bass guitar. I like just playing it every once in a while whenever I've got nothing better to do. It's usually a pretty good way to relieve stress, until I realize I shouldn't have quit taking lessons so early, and then I have to pay another visit to the punching bag.

Mara1Jade

posted 02-25-2003 10:54 PM    
You took bass guitar lessons Taehun? Cool!

Padme of Hidden Lake

posted 03-03-2003 07:55 PM    
I go buy books - and avoid HW for a night - but i don't think I'm very successful at this whole stress relief thing since laast weekend at the Horse Show we had to take a stress test (they have mandatory health things they have to go over with all their Varsity teams) and I scored ( pretty accurately too) a 408 - when the scale says that 250 is averagely high and 500 is seek professional help NOW.... What is that saying.... hmmmm....

Dash Kelderon

posted 04-06-2003 05:28 AM    
Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, PADME... you have to calm down. You are gonna burst a blood vessel or something! Just take a night to yourself. Pour a nice hot bath, sip on a cup of GEVALIA coffee. (If you need to order GEVALIA coffee the number is 1-800-GEVALIA or 1-800-438-2542) You may even get to talk to me. (ADAM) If this doesn't help you to relax I don't know what will!

LumbiaSith

posted 04-15-2003 03:23 PM    
Listening to music...

Entaris

posted 06-24-2003 12:17 PM    
How does coffie help you relax dash? when caffiene is a freaken stimulant! it kinda does the exact oposite...

Oh hey people, i could be a little late to this thread, but who cares! :P

Stress relief... Heh, great stuff... I once had no stress at all... I took a stress test and it gave me 11% stressed out... and the average TOTALY NOT STRESSED person was at 33% stressed...

It said the only way for me to become more relaxed would be to be put into a coma...

Im kinda afraid to take that test right now though ya... Im kinda going crazy... But you know what i find helps... Listen to celtic music while doing tai' chi excersizes...

Specialy "loorina McKinnit" im pretty sure its not spelled that way, but ya, its great music...

Anyway... Just thought id jump in for the heck of it

Dash Kelderon

posted 06-25-2003 01:10 PM    
Just one word for you ENTARIS

DECAFFINATED!

Entaris

posted 06-26-2003 12:59 AM    
Decaffinated coffie... Ok... Now i ask you... WHATS THE POINT! drink some milk.. Or water... Or juice...

Heck, drink some nice warm tea! no point in calling of Coffie if its got no caffine in it!

Dash Kelderon

posted 06-26-2003 03:35 AM    
In case you weren't aware Entaris... Tea has almost as much caffine as coffee!

Entaris

posted 06-26-2003 11:16 AM    
Duh dash, tea has a purpose as a decafinated beverage, which is the only type i drink.

Coffie on the other hand should never be decafinated, decafinated coffie is pointless and utterly abserd!

But then again, im against coffie and caffine and all that as it is... I probably wont be drinking tea that much either...

WOOOW I RULE! i managed to give up soda! havnt drinken a caffinated beverage in about a month now! HAHA IM THE BEST! will power of steel!

Dash Kelderon

posted 06-27-2003 03:37 AM    
I quit smoking like 10 months ago now! Give that a try and come see me!

Assuming that you already smoke that is.

It's not a fun couple of weeks when you first quit!

Entaris

posted 06-27-2003 01:08 PM    
Yes, giving up smoking, horrible concept...

But see, thats why im not gonna start smoking in the first place...
And caffine can rivel smoking id wager, it may not have horrible withdraw affects, that is unless your a hard core expresso drinker, but its addicting....

Next i have to give up suger, that'll probbably kill me...

Dash Kelderon

posted 06-28-2003 03:12 AM    
Then why give up Sugar???

If you know it will kill you , then why put yourself through it?!?

Entaris

posted 06-28-2003 07:32 PM    
Cause ill just end up dieing from the bad shap im in... It'd be worth it in order to geta lil healthier...

Dash Kelderon

posted 06-29-2003 03:54 AM    
Bad shape? Bah! Who cares! As long as you can be happy with yourself!

I know I'm not as "fit" as I used to be. When I got married I kind of stopped playing sports, now I have a bit of a gut. But I'm working on it! I'll have it gone by the end of the summer!

Entaris

posted 06-29-2003 09:09 AM    
Im happy with myself, i just am not happy with the Toxins i take into my body on a daily basis... 'tis bad stuff... Indeed it is...

and good luck with yer gut, you can do it!

Dash Kelderon

posted 06-29-2003 10:23 AM    
I think I can!
I think I can!
I think I can!

*does 3 seconds of Exercize*

Nope! *heavy breathing* I can't do it!

I'm such a quitter!

Agent Korsair

posted 05-18-2004 03:08 AM    
Well my stress reliever is to listen to Phantom of the Opera or Les Miserables, while I plot my foes demises. Well I have alot of foes and all I listen to is Phantom of the Opera and Les Miserables, so I'm usually pretty calm and non-stressed out.

Aelly Ssyn

posted 09-30-2005 07:45 PM    
My stress reliever is usually to play a video game like Rome: Total War, Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War, or Revenge of the Sith on PS2 while listening to Metallica S&M.

Aelly Ssyn

posted 09-30-2005 07:45 PM    
My stress reliever is usually to play a video game like Rome: Total War, Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War, or Revenge of the Sith on PS2 while listening to Metallica S&M.

Sa'kal'ishaalas

posted 10-02-2005 09:20 PM    
Hmmm, stress relievers.....well.....I typically sit in my room brooding while listening to some kind of heavy rock (like Metallica, Marilyn Manson, Disturbed), solving my problems in my head with the best desireable outcome for me (hehe, those thoughts can be very, very evil). Or I play starcraft, sleep, sleep, play on the computer, sleep, listen to music, sleep, talk to my friends, and sleep some more (I guess I like sleeping alot to).

Kitiana

posted 10-05-2005 11:18 PM    
When I get stressed out I like to work out, listen to music, go do something I enjoy (horse back riding, drawing, writing) or talk to my husband.

Graysith

posted 10-06-2005 04:39 AM    
I design jewelry to sell, ride my horse, commune with my cats (which will put me to sleep; they're THAT good!) go out and star-gaze, or read a book. Sometimes a long walk along country roads is nice, too.

Then I come here to write... and voila! Zee stress, she oftentimes AMPLIFIES.

*snickers*

Aelly Ssyn

posted 10-06-2005 07:00 PM    
Are we really that bad Graysith?

I like walks at night. As long as it's not too cold. *shivers*

Rykounagin

posted 11-03-2005 06:08 PM    
Well, this always makes me laugh so hard that I'm quite relieved of stress: http://www.sequentialpictures.com/moviestarwarsepisode3.html

Padme of Hidden Lake

posted 11-07-2005 05:50 PM    
I think a great stress releif is finally getting a REAL Job!!! And I now have one YAY!!! First grade special education - this is going to be fun!!!

Aelly Ssyn

posted 11-07-2005 10:13 PM    
Congrats Padme' I'm happy you got a job you'll enjoy.

Padme of Hidden Lake

posted 11-27-2005 12:58 PM    
Thank you, Aelly!