my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
»  The Holonet Boards   » Role Playing   » Complete Star Wars Universe   » Out of the Unknown (Page 8)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Printable Version
Author Topic: Out of the Unknown
Terrin Danner

Exceptional Salesman turned Really Nice Guy

Member # 110

posted 11-16-2007 08:19 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Whatever painkillers Terrin had taken aboard Eagle II were apparently not of the strongest variety, because shortly after being placed in the med facility aboard the Hornett he began to float back to conciousness. He could feel a dull pain up and down his side every once in a while, but he ignored it for the moment. He assumed they'd made it back to the Hornett...

...but he never liked such assumptions, because that was what typically got them into trouble. He opened bleary eyes to then see the familiar bulkheads of the Eclipse-class SSD, and sighed. That only prompted a more pronounced stab of pain through his ribcage, and he grunted slightly, turning his head.

To that side, there was absolutely nothing but a sickbay wall. Even so, Terrin heard the rustle of someone moving beside him, and slowly turned his head the other way.

The person he saw was not necessarily the person he anticipated, but Terrin didn't find anything particularly unusual about this at the moment. He managed a half-smile and began to reach out a hand...

...then frowned a bit, just then really realizing the disaster of a prosthetic he now had, some circuits and wires protruding from damanged it had sustained from his tenure with the swamp-thing. He swallowed a bit to wet his mouth.

"I guess your mother is still powering down the ship," he commented absently towards Darra to keep his mind off his arm, wincing a bit as another pain shot through him.

[ 11-16-2007 08:36 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Terrin Danner ]

--------------------

"Where's the horns, flyboy?"
~~Galen
It is a far greater thing to live a life with purpose and risk death than to simply live.~~CMH

Posts: 1188 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 76.123.97.116
JhinDarra

Member # 148

posted 11-16-2007 08:39 PM     Profile for JhinDarra   Author's Homepage   Email JhinDarra     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Once again Darra waffled, but it wasn't because she was debating with herself whether she should answer Terrin truthfully. It was simply that she wasn't quite certain exactly how to say what she knew needed to be said. After a few moment's of such indecision, she decided to just say it simple.

"No," she softened the word with a little smile.

"Mother is not powering down the ship... well, perhaps by now she has, actually. You see, Captain Barnes said he needed a ship down on the planet, so Mother left awhile ago to take ours back to him."

--------------------

In me rejoices the Light and the Dark, for of them both have I been brought into life.

Posts: 68 | From: | Registered: Dec 2001  |  Logged: 64.12.117.195
Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 11-16-2007 08:53 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Terrin's eyes widened in alarm and, forgetting what had happened to him and what sort of condition he was in, he tried to sit up. Bandages which had been placed around him prevented him from doing this mostly, but he got about half-upright with a wince of pain before he was hit with the realization that he could barely move as he was.

"No!" he managed, ignoring any pain which threatened to bother him. "I promised her...we'd face things together..."

He trailed, the worry evident in his eyes. He tried to hold it at bay as much as possible, however, not wanting to alarm Darra.

"I've gotta get down there..."

[ 11-16-2007 09:10 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Terrin Danner ]

--------------------

~~Galen
It is a far greater thing to live a life with purpose and risk death than to simply live.~~CMH

Posts: 1188 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 76.123.97.116
JhinDarra

Member # 148

posted 11-16-2007 09:09 PM     Profile for JhinDarra   Author's Homepage   Email JhinDarra     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
A universe of concern immediately welled up in Darra's blue eyes... and it wasn't entirely for the sake of her mother. She reached out a tentative hand and touched Terrin on the shoulder; then, as if he were red-hot, she yanked it back. But she inherited perseverance from her mother; pursing her lips she reached back out, now with both hands, and gently pushed her adoptive father back until he was laying flat once again.

"She'll be all right," she said softly. "If she was in any danger, I would feel it. Don't ask me how I would know, I just would.

"And I don't feel she has come to any harm. I'm sure she and the others will soon find the one they are seeking, and all will be back aboard the Hornett with us, safe and sound."

[ 11-16-2007 09:14 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by JhinDarra ]

--------------------

In me rejoices the Light and the Dark, for of them both have I been brought into life.

Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 11-16-2007 09:33 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Terrin tried his best to see the logic in Darra's words...

...but a wealth of memories splayed forth in his mind's eye of days when he'd been stupid and sat back while Galen went off and fought battles on her own. Days when he should have taken the initiative to at least be with her, to fight with her. For a long moment he stared at the bulkhead of the ship, quietly, his own blue eyes still cloudy with concern and not just a bit of regret at his past mistakes.

With effort he turned to Darra, softening that look. "I know that you will know," he said quietly then. "But I hate being down while she's out there, with everyone else, facing who knows what." He paused then, annoyed with himself for getting injured so quickly, as if he could have really done a thing about it. Truth be told, he knew deep down that the same thing could have happened to anyone else.

"I trust in her abilities...

...Gods, she's got through so many things on her own in the past...

...but I should have been more careful down there to be with her if she needed me."

--------------------

~~Galen

JhinDarra

Member # 148

posted 11-16-2007 09:52 PM     Profile for JhinDarra   Author's Homepage   Email JhinDarra     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Darra's gentle smile broadened.

"You can probably help Mother best by taking care of yourself now, and healing, so when she returns you can be out of here that much sooner and be with her," she said, a twinkle forming in her eye.

--------------------

Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 11-16-2007 10:25 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Terrin smiled a bit at that, suddenly noticing Darra's profound ability to respond effectively and carefully to his concerns. "Yes, perhaps," he responded then, drifting a bit before refocusing on Darra. "In the meantime, getting to know you a little better would be nice as well, seeing as we really haven't had the time with all that has been happening," he commented. "And maybe there is something you want to know?"

--------------------

~~Galen

JhinDarra

Member # 148

posted 11-16-2007 10:27 PM     Profile for JhinDarra   Author's Homepage   Email JhinDarra     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Darra ducked her face at this, blushing prettily.

"Ummm... there's not much I can ask," she said at length, raising her face to look Terrin straight in the eye.

"I think we can get to know each other better just by... talking, and living together as a family.

"Which is really all that Mother wants, isn't it?"

--------------------

Panthar Dantares

Super Dooper Member

Member # 494

posted 11-16-2007 10:36 PM     Profile for Panthar Dantares   Author's Homepage   Email Panthar Dantares     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Panthar turned to stare at Shayla.

“What do you mean, gone?” he asked, concern in his expression. “Like your force-stuff?”

Panthar looked to Aaron, then back to Shayla. While he waited for her to reply he noticed the thrumming device in his hand was suddenly no longer thrumming.

“Umm... Oh hell...”

[ 11-16-2007 11:53 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Panthar Dantares ]

--------------------

All I wanted was my name in a book...

Posts: 573 | From: North Liberty, IA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  Logged: 12.216.75.207
Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 11-16-2007 10:42 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Terrin nodded, more memories forming in his mind's eye of the time he and Galen had spent trying to find Darra, fully aware that the words she had spoken hit the proverbial nail on the head.

"That's all she's ever wanted," he said then, his blue eyes now meeting Darra's. "She loves you very much," he then said, pursing his lips a bit. "Seeing the two of you together, finally..."

He trailed, memories coming again, the look in eyes finishing off the statement.

--------------------

~~Galen

JhinDarra

Member # 148

posted 11-16-2007 10:56 PM     Profile for JhinDarra   Author's Homepage   Email JhinDarra     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Darra only lowered her face again, blushing. When at length she finally felt she had herself under control once more, she looked back into the eyes of her adoptive father.

"It will be good that we all can be together," she said, her voice scarcely above a whisper. "But it will be better if you rest now. Mother will be angry with me, and say I bothered you when you should be doing whatever it is the doctor said to do.

"Which, I am certain, does not mean spending too much time talking."

She smiled again, and began to inch toward the door.

"I'm going to--" She paused. She had been about to say "her room," when it suddenly dawned on her that she didn't even have one. For when they had first come aboard Hornett all their time had been spent in discussing the logistics of rescue; then they had turned tail and returned to Dagobah.

"I- I don't know where I'm going to go," she finished, a little droop coming to her shoulders and tingeing her voice just the tiniest bit.

--------------------

Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 11-16-2007 11:10 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Terrin had started to drift off again when he heard Darra's somewhat saddened words. He frowned just the slightest, thinking as he did so. After all, he did know this ship backwards and forewards, and there had to be somewhere nice for Darra to stay, a place she could call her own and be comfortable. It didn't take him long to come up with just the place.

"There are some quarters your Mother stayed in once, when we first met," he said. waving a medic over and making his request known that Darra be taken to said quarters, on Red Level and anywhere else she requested to go, for that matter. "Feel free to move about the ship as well...

...and make yourself at home."

--------------------

~~Galen

JhinDarra

Member # 148

posted 11-16-2007 11:24 PM     Profile for JhinDarra   Author's Homepage   Email JhinDarra     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Darra smiled yet more broadly as she was led from the medical bay, knowing that at last Terrin would be able to truly rest and gain his strength. But that smile rapidly vanished to a gawk of wonder at the sheer size of the vessel she was being led through.

She had never seen so many people in one place in her life, despite her time in the Temple of Warriors. It seemed the corridors she passed through were filled with the rush and bustle of people going somewhere, hurrying to get there in order to do something. What that "something" could possibly be, she hadn't the slightest idea.

Then they arrived at the room assigned -- no, given to her, and her jaw about hit the floor. It was far larger, and far more well appointed than she thought she deserved... until she remembered just who exactly her mother truly was to these people.

Not to mention her adoptive father!

She smiled at the little luxuries afforded to her, bid the orderly a gracious thank you, and entered her rooms. After finding and making use of the shower -- real water! -- she then rummaged in the room's wardrobe and came up with a creamy set of flowing trousers with matching silky tunic, both delicately embroidered and chased with tiny krayt-dragon pearls. She knew it was probably some kind of elegant evening wear, far too fancy for what she had in mind, but after everything she had just experienced...

Well... it just felt somehow right... as did the spacious bed the room contained, which moments later held her slender and entirely over-dressed form, as she took Terrin's example and followed him into slumber.

--------------------

Shayla Stargazer Petrolu

Adept

Member # 123

posted 11-16-2007 11:37 PM     Profile for Shayla Stargazer Petrolu   Author's Homepage   Email Shayla Stargazer Petrolu     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Shayla's greeny-blue eyes darkened. "Yes, like my Force-stuff," she responded, shaking her head as she tried yet again to sense Shawn.

Nothing. "I can't track Shawn now...

...I can't even feel anyone's Force signature here."

she frowned, keenly aware that something other had to be going on. "If we are going to find Shawn, we're going to have to do so on logic and maps and comm signals. Which means, like Galen suggested, we may need to go down that crevasse you fell into to get started."

[ 11-17-2007 12:09 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Shayla Stargazer Petrolu ]

--------------------

"Small minds think in small terms!"
~~CMH~~
(I am NOT turning to the Darkside...)

Posts: 1711 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 76.123.97.116
Taylor Garrison

Member # 556

posted 11-16-2007 11:49 PM     Profile for Taylor Garrison   Author's Homepage   Email Taylor Garrison     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
After checking in on the Captain to see that he was resting comfortably and checking to see that the medics were working on a replacement prosthetic for him, Taylor Garrison made his way to the sickbed of one Erik Kartan, who was waiting there, seemingly lost in thought.

"My apologies sir for not being able to speak with you sooner," he opened. "I am Commander Taylor Garrison. How may I assist you?"

Posts: 57 | From: On the Hornett... | Registered: Jun 2004  |  Logged: 76.123.97.116
Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 11-16-2007 11:59 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Now that enough time had passed to verify that, yup, I was still hale and whole even though hell had just come this close to breaking loose, I took just a little bit more of it to assimilate the fact that I was still alone. Frowning a little, I peered through the misty air; on the far side of the swamp I could see three tiny figures.

Trying to ignore the wispy hairs which were still standing straight up on the back of my neck, I went to the water's edge and cupped my hands to my mouth.

"Are you guys gonna stand there all day and chit-chat, or are we going to go rescue Shawn?" I hollered.

And what in Hell's Seven Circles--! Didn't you see what just happened... or was it just me? I couldn't help but add silently to myself.

[ 11-17-2007 12:02 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Galen ]

--------------------

"Sure as there is Treasure on Roon...."

Posts: 1457 | From: | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.117.195
Panthar Dantares

Super Dooper Member

Member # 494

posted 11-17-2007 12:06 AM     Profile for Panthar Dantares   Author's Homepage   Email Panthar Dantares     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Panthar half-laughed and then waved over at Galen.

“Hey, quiet down, we’ll be right over,” he called over. “Don’t get eaten.”

He looked at Shayla, then placed a hand on her forehead.

“No fever,” he said. “But I believe that something weird is happening. Let’s go catch up with Galen.”

And with that, he walked along the damp narrow path and up to Galen.

“There’s something wrong,” he said, approaching. “Shayla’s force power things are gone, and my device here isn’t working. This can’t be good.”

--------------------

Posts: 573 | From: North Liberty, IA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  Logged: 12.216.75.207
Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 11-17-2007 12:19 AM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I waited until everyone had made their squishy way across the landbridge to where Panthar and I stood before I made any additional comment. But once I opened my mouth, believe me, plenty came out.

"Look," I said, deciding to get right to the point.

"Panthar just said you, Blondie, lost all your Force-whoosis. I dunno what you guys experienced, but do you guys remember ol' Googly Eyes? Well, it came back, and the hairs on the back of my neck are explaining to me in very great detail that it's up to something...

Again."

I paused a moment, waiting for Aaron to play catch-up, for I knew this was all new and stranger than hell to him.

"I'm betting nothing out of the ordinary works, after what happened last time; so, it looks like we're going to have to do things the old fashioned way.

"We return to the crevasse, we skinny down it again --" Oh, joy; somebody please, hold me back "-- and we comm Shawn and, and--"

I paused, floundering.

"We go from there; I have a map," I finished, somewhat lamely. Guess I hadn't realized how much I really had been relying on Blondie's force stuff, or Big Red's humming thingy, to help us out.

Maybe I wouldn't be back in time for supper after all...

[ 11-17-2007 12:22 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Galen ]

--------------------

Aaron Barnes

Owner of Eagle Enterprises

Member # 414

posted 11-17-2007 12:26 AM     Profile for Aaron Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Aaron Barnes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"Well," Aaron said then, not really having a clue about all that was going on, "There's also the other team that is out htere, and has been searching for quite a while. Maybe they've come up with something? Before we go any further, even contacting Shawn, we'd better try to get in contact with those guys and make sure we aren't doing twice the work. I've got their comm frequencies as well."

He paused then, frowning. "But where is this crevasse you are referring to?"

--------------------

Never trust a scoundrel.

Posts: 384 | From: On the Hornett or ship-dealing elsewhere | Registered: Jan 2003  |  Logged: 76.123.97.116
Panthar Dantares

Super Dooper Member

Member # 494

posted 11-17-2007 12:29 AM     Profile for Panthar Dantares   Author's Homepage   Email Panthar Dantares     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
“Whoa, hold on! Nothing out of the ordinary…? Old googly eyes?! Wait, you saw him? What the heck would he be doing here? I thought Khar Dooba was his place of places, and that’s all back in the Elseness and we’re not going back there. What the heck is he doing here? Are we still playing his stupid game or something? Crap, and the other guys are out there trying to get Shawn too? I wonder if Googly did something to them too, or if it’s just us he’s messing with?”

--------------------

Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 11-17-2007 12:32 AM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I could only shake my head.

"Who the kriffing hell knows!" I finally spat, now beginning to get good and honestly mad at the thought that the weirdness who used people as pawns was back for more fun and games.

"But standing here wondering isn't going to do anything; Aaron, if you have the other guys' comm frequency, why don't you give then a jingle and see if Google struck them, too. And hell, for all we know they found Shawn, and we won't have to go down that blasted hole again!"

For to tell the truth, I didn't much relish the thought.

[ 11-17-2007 12:34 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Galen ]

--------------------

Aaron Barnes

Member # 414

posted 11-19-2007 08:49 PM     Profile for Aaron Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Aaron Barnes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Aaron nodded, keying in Matt Stanza's comm frequency and speaking into the comm.

Matt, this is Aaron. We're wondering what sort of progress you have made in finding Shawn. We've had some strange events occur here with some sort of Eyes or something, and Shayla has lost her powers. Have you had any problems of this sort? Please let us know your current status so we'll know where to begin helping out here. Barnes out.

Sending the message off then, Aaron could do nothing but wait.

--------------------

Never trust a scoundrel.

Posts: 384 | From: On the Hornett or ship-dealing elsewhere | Registered: Jan 2003  |  Logged: 76.123.97.116
Matt Stanza

Eagle Enterprises Second in Command

Member # 415

posted 11-21-2007 06:39 PM     Profile for Matt Stanza   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Stanza     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Now with a strangely quiet Shawn Petrolu along, the group had just finished scaling up the eight foot wall they had gone down earlier when Matt's commlink actually received a signal from somewhere. Before analyzing their surroundings, Matt turned his attentions to it, pressing the accept button.

Aaron...wondering...you...finding...strange...Eyes...lost...status...helping...

Matt pursed his lips, only able to make a bit out of an otherwise staticky message from Aaron. Shrugging to himself and to the others, he hit the response button.

This is Matt Stanza. We've found Shawn. Repeat, found Shawn. Strange events here. Repeat, strange events, disembodied Eyes, talking out of thin air and assisting in our search only to then vanish with strange messages. We have found Shawn, and are coming out of the caves. Repeat, found Shawn and are on our way back out of the caves. Stanza out.

Squirting the message off then, he turned to Jasyn and Petrolu. "Well, I'm not quite sure what their message was about, but hopefully they will get some of ours with all the repetition. Sounds like they may have seen the Eyes too?"

He paused, frowning. "I'm not very experienced in this area, but I'm assuming that what the disembodied voice said somehow affected you?"

Here he quieted, turning with an arched eyebrow to Shawn.

--------------------

You bow to no one. Not anymore. Not ever again.~~~Matt Stanza

Posts: 151 | From: On the Hornett or ship-dealing elsewhere | Registered: Jan 2003  |  Logged: 76.123.97.116
Aaron Barnes

Member # 414

posted 11-21-2007 07:11 PM     Profile for Aaron Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Aaron Barnes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Aaron almost jumped, surprised to hear his comm sound. But he managed to cover this response mostly, accepting the incoming comm with a touch of his finger.

Stanza...Shawn. ...events...desembodied. Thin...strange...Eyes. ...talking...search...vanish...messages. ...Found...out. Shawn...back...caves. ...Out.

As the message ended, only a few words of it intelligible, Aaron furrowed his brows, trying to decide what it was he thought Matt was trying to tell them.

"Well," he then said to the others, "I can't tell if they've found Shawn or not, but it sounds like he's talking about disembodied Eyes. I think our "Friend" has made its presence known where they are too."

He paused then, thinking. "We are at least getting somewhat of a signal from them. Maybe if we move closer to their location we can get an even better one and try to comm again so we can clarify the messages that are coming and going?"

--------------------

Never trust a scoundrel.

Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 11-21-2007 07:20 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I shook my head, but moved carefully away from the water.

"I duuno," I finally said. "If you want to trudge here and there through all this mess--"

Here I waved a hand about, indicating the riotous growth surrounding us.

"That's your choice. But I don't think us moving any closer is going to do diddly; these are good transmitters and receivers. Our messages to each other are probably being broken up because they're not out in the clear yet. We'll more than likely hear them much better once they're out of the caves, but until then..."

I trailed again, snd sidled yet a step further from the murky water.

"Since we know ol Googly is up and running, I'd just as soon not risk making it/him/them mad. So far we seem to be okay right where we are; in fact, I'm all for returning to the ship and hitting orbit. We can wait there and see if the guys need any more help, but it sounds like they've got things under wraps for now."

[ 11-21-2007 07:21 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Galen ]

--------------------

All times are CT
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e