my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
»  The Holonet Boards   » Role Playing   » Complete Star Wars Universe   » Out of the Unknown (Page 4)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Printable Version
Author Topic: Out of the Unknown
Panthar Dantares

Super Dooper Member

Member # 494

posted 10-12-2007 09:46 AM     Profile for Panthar Dantares   Author's Homepage   Email Panthar Dantares     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Panthar was taking a deep breath of the familiar Dagobah air when Aaron asked his hasty question. He turned to where the portal had been, and raised an eyebrow.

“Maybe he had something come up?” he asked, unsure. “That does seem really strange, doesn’t it? Well, we can chalk it up to one more strange occurrence in a long string of strange occurrences. Now we need to figure out what to do, wait here for Aelvedaar to show up or try to find the others.”

Panthar looked around, taking in the swamp and jungle.

“Well,” he said. “I know this pretty much looks like any other place on this planet, but I think this is where Galen and I got pulled out of the hole in the ground. Considering that vine there is part of the rope you guys made, Aaron, I think. Doesn’t seem to be anyone around here, though. Anyone have a com link?”

Just as he asked the question, Panthar remembered the Sith communication device still in his pocket, but decided to wait until someone answered before he mentioned that.

--------------------

All I wanted was my name in a book...

Posts: 573 | From: North Liberty, IA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  Logged: 12.216.75.207
Aaron Barnes

Owner of Eagle Enterprises

Member # 414

posted 10-14-2007 08:36 PM     Profile for Aaron Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Aaron Barnes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"I have a commlink and the Hornett's secure comm frequency to my assistant," he said. "If the ship is still where Aelvedaar says it is, then this should get us through."

He paused then, pursing his lips. "We probably ought to get in touch with them and see what they're planning; otherwise we're just stuck here too, with no real clue of where Petrolu is other than what Stargazer feels. Which isn't going to get us very far without able bodies and some gear."

With that, Aaron raised his commlink to his lips after keying in a specific frequency. "Taylor, this is Captain Barnes. It's a long story, but I'm on Degobah, here with some assistance for a search some other members aboard your ship are probably on. My cohorts and I have followed the trail of Captain Danner, his wife, and some others to this planet, and then with some help back to the Hornett. In the process, we discovered Jedi Petrolu was also lost on the planet."

He paused, considering the best next words. "His sister, who has a blood Force-link with him or something to that effect, is here to assist after coming through a difficult situation herself. A Lord Aelvedaar of the Sith was also coming to asist us, but did not follow us here as we originally thought he was going to. Please respond to this transmission and forward it to Captain Danner and the others if possible.

Barnes out."

[ 10-14-2007 09:11 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Aaron Barnes ]

--------------------

Never trust a scoundrel.

Posts: 384 | From: On the Hornett or ship-dealing elsewhere | Registered: Jan 2003  |  Logged: 76.123.97.116
Terrin Danner

Exceptional Salesman turned Really Nice Guy

Member # 110

posted 10-14-2007 09:00 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Now with nothing on his mind but getting things going, Terrin lead the group with him to the main hangar bay, where he knew the ships he felt would be the best use for them would be waiting. Once they entered through the final corridor he made decisive steps towards a specific collection of ships, ones that he trusted as far as their flying capabilities and make-up almost as much as he had trusted the ZZ'Shq.

But of course, not quite as much as he had trusted that peculiar little ship. He mentally cursed himself for losing it, and continued leading on til at length he stopped in front of three adjacent docking platforms. On each platform sat a pristine, top-of-the-line, lambda-class transport. He cocked his head a bit, cosidering the names emblazoned on each of their sides.

The Eagle II, Raptor II, and Falcon II.

Raising an eyebrow at that then mentally shrugging, he turned to the others, first looking to Taylor Garrison. "These ships are all fully equipped and armed?" he queried.

Garrison nodded.

"Copies of any maps our teams have made and Galen's map have been downloaded to their computers?" he continued.

Garrison reached down to his commlink, keyed a few things in, then looked up, nodding again. "Done."

Then he looked to everyone else. "I suggest Matt, Jasyn, and Rathal take the Falcon II. Galen, myself, the Sith warrior, and Darra can head out in the Eagle II."

He paused, pursing his lips. "Let's get aboardship, get warmed up, and look the map. Before we head out we need to decide who is going to take which possible entry point to Shawn.

And then we can get going. So let's do it," he ended with, motioning towards the ships and then heading towards Eagle II as Matt, Jasyn, and the others headed towards Falcon II and boarded her. Popping the hatch, he headed for the cabin, took a seat at the navboard, and began warming her, taking a good look at her capabilities as he did so.

Fully loaded, just like her original counterpart.

He then pulled up the map of the cave system below to check that it was loaded successfully on the navcomputer and to take a look at the possible entries Galen had pointed out once more.

"Guess we can take this entry here," he said, pointing to one area, "And the others can try this one," he said, indicating another and then marking them on the map and sending that data out to Matt's comm frequency.

"Time to get clearance out of here," he finished, keying the request in.

--------------------

"Where's the horns, flyboy?"
~~Galen
It is a far greater thing to live a life with purpose and risk death than to simply live.~~CMH

Posts: 1188 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 76.123.97.116
Taylor Garrison

Member # 556

posted 10-14-2007 09:09 PM     Profile for Taylor Garrison   Author's Homepage   Email Taylor Garrison     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Taylor had just turned to check on the status of the mining ship when a comm transmission chimed in on his commlink. He immediately answered it, thinking that perhaps it was one of the others needing somthing or other.

It was instead perhaps the last person he would have suspected. At least, almost.

Taylor, this is Captain Barnes. It's a long story, but I'm on Degobah, here with some assistance for a search some other members aboard your ship are probably on. My cohorts and I have followed the trail of Captain Danner, his wife, and some others to this planet, and then with some help back to the Hornett. In the process, we discovered Jedi Petrolu was also lost on the planet. His sister, who has a blood Force-link with him or something to that effect, is here to assist after coming through a difficult situation herself. A Lord Aelvedaar of the Sith was also coming to asist us, but did not follow us here as we originally thought he was going to. Please respond to this transmission and forward it to Captain Danner and the others if possible.

He at once pressed the reply button. "Captain Barnes, your message has been received. Captain Danner and the others are currently preparing for departure from the Hornett back to the planet to assess some possible entry points to Jedi Petrolu's current location. I will transfer your message to Captain Danner now. Garrison out."

Sending out the reply, Taylor then keyed in another command on his wrist comm, sending Aaron's original message to Eagle II's comm freuency.

[ 10-14-2007 09:12 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Taylor Garrison ]

Posts: 57 | From: On the Hornett... | Registered: Jun 2004  |  Logged: 76.123.97.116
Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 10-16-2007 01:34 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"Oh aren't we just the lucky ones!" I smiled, although truth be told I couldn't completely repress the little shudder which raced though my body when I saw where Terrin was pointing. For of the possible entries immediately presented, ours looked to be the least accessible. The passageway designated to Team B terminated at the top of the mesa, after the corridor to which it was a mouth snaked and wound through the rock, becoming steeper and steeper until the last eighty meters or so looked to be completely vertical. They'd have a nice scramble down, sure as there's Treasure on Roon! Another possibility looked to be a bit more on a horizontal plane, but upon closer scrutiny revealed that it might completely intersect the scarp face about ten meters above the treetops below... which was a heckuva long ways down from the top of the mesa. And although it wasn't that far from the treetops, it was from the treetops to which it was being referenced, not the ground. It was still quite a hefty climb up for only a possible opening into the rock, and from there we'd have an even longer climb upward to find Shawn. I could see why Terrin nixed that one right off the bat.

But ours now, oh lucky us, looked to be a "mere" fifteen meters below the lip of the mesa; at least the scraggly line that represented the cave corridor looked as if it totally broke through the rock and out into the open. Which meant we'd at least have an entry into the system... maybe... hopefully...assuming it was large enough for us to worm our way into, that is. After we'd managed to climb down to it... hoping the scarp face didn't overhang anywhere along the way...

I reached out and punched a command into the computer and the image immediately rotated, zooming in to show us our entry from a forward view. Then I let out a disgusted puff of air; there wasn't any way to tell just what we were going to face until we actually got there and were staring directly at it.

"I hope we've got plenty of rope and other rapeling gear onboard; this isn't going to be--"

My words were truncated by the comm's announcement of an incoming message. I reached over and flipped the channel open, then sat back in a bit of surprise as Taylor's words came through loud and clear.

[ 10-16-2007 01:44 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Galen ]

--------------------

"Sure as there is Treasure on Roon...."

Posts: 1457 | From: | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.117.195
Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 10-16-2007 08:34 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Frowning to himself, Terrin keyed in the request for a departure vector. Although he was glad to hear that Aaron was not as missing as he formerly believed, his appearance on this planet was a bit on the strange side. "I wonder how Aaron managed to find his way here and ended up with Shayla, of all people."

Pausing, he furrowed his brow. "Surprised to see her back here, willing to help out in finding Shawn after she lamblasted us all and left us stranded on Tatooine. And what's this with Lord Aelvedaar disappearing now?"

He shook his head. "Too many peculiarities. Granted, Shayla has a link with Shawn that nobody else can match and could be useful. But how the kriffing hell do we trust her now?"

Even as he finished saying this, clearance for departure came through and he began the process of taking Eagle II into flight and down to the surface of Degobah.

[ 10-16-2007 08:35 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Terrin Danner ]

--------------------

~~Galen
It is a far greater thing to live a life with purpose and risk death than to simply live.~~CMH

Posts: 1188 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 76.123.97.116
Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 10-16-2007 08:45 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I frowned, and not just because Terrin so suddenly wanted to drive. Memories of some of the things dear ol' Sissy-poops was able to do came wafting unbidden into my head, carrying on their shoulders an increasingly heavy feeling of unease.

"I agree, this is too strange," I whispered, then went quickly on. "She's been hanging with my dear ol sis; maybe she's learned some of the strange stuff that she knows, like how to manipulate things and get into your head, just to name two..."

I blinked and turned to face Terrin fully.

"Maybe it's another trap. Maybe she's here to finish the job; hell, maybe they're both down there, and Aelvedaar with them as well. We really haven't had too great of a batting average with the Sith, remember; I don't know now if we can truly believe anything they say to us.

"Including things coming to us over a comm."

--------------------

Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 10-16-2007 09:09 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Terrin paused mid-keystroke and scowled, his eyes darkening a bit as Galen's words hit home, down deep.

Too many oddities here. WAY too many. When did these people ever pick a side and just stick with it? Or did they just pick the most convenient one in the moment?

And that final thought did it. Terrin flipped the comm switch to send a message back to Taylor. "Commander, send no reply to the message."

He paused, knowing Taylor wouldn't understand. "We're addressing it."

Squirting the reply off then, he keyed in one final thing on the navboard, then turned to Galen. "If that's really them down there and they're really out to help us...

...then well, they're going to have to prove it before I'm interested in meeting up with any of them. I'm going to give this ship a quick look-over and make sure all of the supplies we need are here before we head out completely. She's warmed and has a nice system of upgrades, better than even her predecessor..."

He paused a moment, "...I'm certain what's aft won't disappoint either. But I've gotta look. Why don't you take over?" he finished with, getting up then and heading to the back of the ship, quickly looking through all the supplies and weapons onboard, making certain to check for the specific supplies Galen had mentioned. As he predicted, the ship didn't disappoint.

He headed back to the cabin. "We're fully loaded," he announced then. "I hope her christening flight with us results in a little less ding than her sister ship did..."

[ 10-16-2007 09:11 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Terrin Danner ]

--------------------

~~Galen

Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 10-16-2007 09:16 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I swiveled in my seat and gave Terrin a studied look.

"That will depend upon circumstances below, don'tcha think?" I asked, a bit guardedly. For the more I thought about it, the less I liked the way events were transpiring.

"I don't know how we can determine truth from possible lies," I went on. "I mean, what if the comm is truly fabricated? What if Aaron is somehow being manipulated? Not only will we not find out the true lay of the land until we actually get there...

"But what are we going to do if we end up with the worst-case scenario? I know this ship has firepower to her, but I don't think it's gonna mean squat against some of the stuff I've seen sissy do. And there's no telling how much her little stooge might have picked up.

"Hell's bells, we don't even know if Sis isn't down there right now, just waiting. Any suggestions, sweets?"

[ 10-16-2007 09:20 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Galen ]

--------------------

Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 10-16-2007 09:35 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Terrin took a seat and shook his head, getting more and more suspicious of all of this by the moment. "I don't know, but something tells me the Aaron that I at least used to know would know I won't go for this. We could simply comm them back and tell them we aren't buying it just yet. And we could scan for lifesigns below to see just how many somebodies are down there..."

He trailed as the obvious presented itself, "...but then again we're dealing with people who know how to block such things, I'm sure."

He shook his head. "If Aaron is down there and is being manipulated, that means there's one more party down there thawt needs to be rescued from dire straits..."

Trailing again, Terrin pursed his lips. "We can determine how likely it is that Aaron is the one who commed the Hornett. Unless he has for some reason lost it, the Hornett should have record that he commed from his own personal frequency, have some way to triangulate just how far of a distance he commed from...

...and whether or not he used priority secure frequencies and encryption codes to deliver his message. But then, that'll only tell us if Aaron is down there...

...and still leaves the question of just how authentic Shayla's sudden willingness to help out is."

--------------------

~~Galen

Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 10-16-2007 09:45 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I chewed my lip a moment, thinking. Then an idea struck me. Pulling back from the console a bit, I started patting about my sith suit, hunting for something. Granted, it had been quite a while, and Khaandon alone knew how much I'd gone through while wearing it, but...

"Here!" I announced brightly, and pulled from one of the various and mysteriously deep pockets a small object. I held it out to Terrin.

"It's a portable Force Cage," I explained, then went on as his brows began climbing off the top of his head. "Suffice it to say that Sorben's guild developed them; he--" I stumbled slightly, then went on in a burst of words.

"He gave one to me, long ago. I remember when we first met, we were being chased by Sissy and he whammied her with one of these. Kept her stuck inside like a womprat in its den, too. Now I know that was back when she was new to all her powers, and maybe didn't know how to get herself out of it. But I'm thinking that maybe Shayla might be at the same level of training, so to speak. Maybe this will hold her, too, if we need some run time."

I stopped, cocked my head to one side and lifted a brow.

"How's your arm, Flyboy?" I ended as I held the shining little ball out to him.

[ 10-16-2007 09:47 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Galen ]

--------------------

Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 10-16-2007 09:58 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"Ready if need be," he replied, taking the sparkling thing and looking it over. "So you just throw this at the target and it makes a Force Cage around them?" he queried then, almost rehetorically. "Impressive..."

He quieted a few moments then, still looking the device over. Then he turned his attentions to the commswitch, dialing in Taylor's frequency and inquired whether or not Aaron's comm came from his personal fequency to a priority, encrypted channel. Each question was answered in the affirmative.

Terrin turned back to Galen. "It's either him down there...

...or Stargazer has done some amazing information smuggling. No way she would have any access to those frequencies."

He paused, frowning then. "We'd better run some lifeform readings before we land," he observed then, "And maybe we ought to get to Aaron before he's as lost on this planet as Shawn is..."

--------------------

~~Galen

Panthar Dantares

Super Dooper Member

Member # 494

posted 10-16-2007 10:25 PM     Profile for Panthar Dantares   Author's Homepage   Email Panthar Dantares     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
“So,” said Panther. “We just wait here then? Or should we head out to one of those entry points that guy mentioned? Who was that, anyway? And did they find Erik? Any word about Shawn? Is he all right?”

Panthar realized he was asking a lot of questions and stopped, looking up at the canopy of trees that crowded over them.

“If they’re going to meet us,” he continued, “we’ll need to move away from here. They'll need to let us know where to go. Oh, and tell Li'l Red hey for me, too.”

--------------------

Posts: 573 | From: North Liberty, IA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  Logged: 172.133.81.228
Aaron Barnes

Member # 414

posted 10-18-2007 09:14 PM     Profile for Aaron Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Aaron Barnes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Aaron frowned a bit. "Well, Terrin and the team have to reply before I can tell them anything," he answered. "And if we don't have the proper gear, we probably shouldn't go poking our noses into possible entry points unless we want to get stuck in a cave too. I mean, we don't even have any maps of the place. Stargazer can sense Petrolu all day long and not be able to tell us how to get through the cave and to him."

He paused, cocking his head a bit. "Or at least, I'm assuming she can't do that."

He frowned a bit more. "I hope Taylor sent the message through, because we certainly aren't getting any quick, warm welcomes..."

--------------------

Never trust a scoundrel.

Posts: 384 | From: On the Hornett or ship-dealing elsewhere | Registered: Jan 2003  |  Logged: 76.123.97.116
Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 10-19-2007 10:49 AM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"Right," I replied as I now turned back to Eagle II's boards and typed in a command. Immediately sensors stretched out, completely enveloping the side of the planet that we currently were flying toward, expressly seeking the whereabouts of any lifeforms that were human.

Nothing. Oh, they reported lifeforms all right... about a bajillion of 'em as a matter of fact. This was Dagobah, after all. But human readings seemed to be a bit on the scarce side... I frowned.

"You typed in the correct original coordinates to where that big ol' plateau or mesa or whatever is?" I queried, swiveling back to face Terrin again. "'Cuz I'm not picking up any human readings on this side of the planet.

"Which is more than extremely weird, if you ask me!"

With that I turned back to navigation and altered our present course, which was formerly a rather steep angle down. Putting the little craft into a gentler curving approach, I guided her through Dagobah's upper atmosphere, watching as the limb of the planet approached, then rolled beneath us.

Nothing but greenery, tons and tons of greenery, and water, and..

"There!" I pointed as the sensor array began to bleep at us.

"There's human-- or at least humanoid -- life-readings. I'm counting three blips, and they seem to be smack in the middle of some kind of hillock in the middle of the biggest swamp this boggy planet has."

I turned back to Terrin, relief segueing into concern when I saw the same appearing in his own blue eyes.

"I'm assuming that there's some mineral in the rock, that might be masking Shawn's readings?" I ventured. "But don't worry, we have the readings taken with the older ship, as well as the map of that cave system; maybe Eagle II, as wonderful as she is, still doesn't have the sensor power to her that a larger ship might have?"

I turned back to the controls, chewing on my lip a little as I did so.

"Well, at least we seem to have located Aaron and the others. Now all we have to do is figure out a way to determine if he's ok or if this is some kind of trap being laid for us. Be sure to keep that portable Force Cage handy, 'cuz I'm gonna be landing us in close proximity to where they are. I don't think I should land anywhere else than on this little 'island,' since there's no real guarantee we could slog over to them. Who but Khaandon knows how deep the swamp waters are that surround them, sure as there's Treasure on Roon!"

With that I brought the sleek little ship to a soft landing on the grass-laden ground of the hillock, momentarily concerned as she seemed to actually sink down a bit. But the sinking sensation soon stopped, and I knew we were on relatively stable soil.

I powered down, putting all systems on stand-by, and turned to Terrin, the sounds of metal creaking and the hiss of de-gassing filling the otherwise silence of the ship's interior.

"They're about half a kilometer due NNW," I said as I rose from my seat. "So, shall we?"

With that I opened the hatch, and the wild and overbearing sounds of Dagoban life washed over us, along with the wonderful odor only stagnant swamp-water can bring.

[ 10-19-2007 10:56 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Galen ]

--------------------

Panthar Dantares

Super Dooper Member

Member # 494

posted 10-20-2007 10:26 PM     Profile for Panthar Dantares   Author's Homepage   Email Panthar Dantares     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Panthar scratched his head and looked around once more.

“Well,” he said. “You could ask him what’s going on. I mean, it’s been a few minutes now, and I’d think that if they were happy to hear from us then they’d be hollering back. I assume they’re suspicious of Shayla – no offense, Shayla – but it’s pretty dang rude to not give any kind of response back. I hope the dark stuff didn’t get into Galen or someone, like it did you and Graysith. Don’t suppose there is any way for you to tell that kind of thing, is there, now that you’ve ‘known’ the darkness?”

--------------------

Posts: 573 | From: North Liberty, IA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  Logged: 12.216.75.207
Shayla Stargazer Petrolu

Adept

Member # 123

posted 10-21-2007 04:05 PM     Profile for Shayla Stargazer Petrolu   Author's Homepage   Email Shayla Stargazer Petrolu     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Shayla frowned and shook her head, somewhat lost in thought as she remained attuned to Shawn's Force-signature. "Perhaps, but not at any distance," she commented, totally unaware that any other intelligent life was close by for the intensity of focus she was placing on her brother. Then she turned to Barnes. "And come to think of it, shouldn't you have Terrin's personal comm frequency, or at least one of the frequencies of the guys who are with him? Maybe he is just suspicious that the message came indirectly."

She shrugged. "And as to them all being suspicious of me...

...I wouldn't doubt it, nor would I blame them after all that I've done."

--------------------

"Small minds think in small terms!"
~~CMH~~
(I am NOT turning to the Darkside...)

Posts: 1711 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 76.123.97.116
Aaron Barnes

Member # 414

posted 10-21-2007 04:10 PM     Profile for Aaron Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Aaron Barnes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Aaron chewed his lip a bit. "Well, if Terrin may not have his commlink after this length of time...

...but Matt and Jasyn should have theirs. I'll try Stanza, and see what we get."

Pausing then, Aaron dialed a frequency into his commlink, and began recording a message.

Matt, this is Captain Barnes, trying to reach you and eveyrone else. We are on Degobah, here to help find Shawn and have transmitted a message to you via Taylor Garrison earlier with no reply from you. Is everything allright and was the message received? Please respond.

Squirting the message off to Stanza then, Aaron turned back to the others. "Need I point out the fact I don't care for just standing around in a planet with this much wildlife? I agree with Panthar, let's see if we can get into a clearing at least."

--------------------

Never trust a scoundrel.

Matt Stanza

Eagle Enterprises Second in Command

Member # 415

posted 10-21-2007 04:45 PM     Profile for Matt Stanza   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Stanza     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Matt brought Falcon II down through atmosphere relatively smoothly, flying with exceptional grace considering it had been some time since he had been at the controls at a ship, let alone a lamby. Beside him, Jasyn Lancaster scowled, no doubt disgusted with being on this planet once again...

...not that Matt could blame him. He zeroed in on the area where he and Jasyn would begin their search and quickly realized an immediate problem. "Landing this baby on the mesa is going to take some careful piloting he observed. "And it looks like we have a nice long scale downward. Hope you're in shape for this, pal, because I'm not even sure how much I am."

Quieting for a moment then, Matt concentrated on landing the ship on the top of the mesa, truthfully a bit concerned as to the stability of the landing site. He gauged the terrain for a long time until he finally found a place about a kilometer west of the termination of the passageway. He began the landing procedure, carefully. "We're in for a walk as well. There is no way we can manuever our way directly beside the opening...

...and we're going to have to climb up a bit before we can get moving downward."

Just as he finished this statement, his commlink chirped, indicating receipt of a message. Matt accepted it, and received Aaron's comm. He quirked a brow at a suddenly very suspicious looking Jasyn. "Interesting," was all Matt said, however, "But there is no way we're turning back from where we are now. Terrin and the others should know about this, however."

With that he dialed Terrin's commlink frequency in and sent a message of his own.

Terrin, I'm getting messages from Aaron saying he's on planet with some others to help look for Shawn. I don't know what to make of it, but Jasyn and I are already in place to begin heading through our assigned passageway. I don't want to back out of here now. Let me know what you are going to do, and how you are all faring. Stanza out.

Sending the message off to its intended recipient, Matt began powering down Falcon II. "Jas, I think you'd better head aft and get some ropes and climbing gear...

...a couple of blasters, a med kit, some water and rations, and some markers to keep a handle on our trail. We'll also need some glowsticks, obviously. I'll get our map and some portable lifesign scanners, which I'm assuming are here somewhere as well."

Falling silent at that, Matt went to work as Jasyn moved to the back of the ship to gather supplies. Once the ship was completely powered down and all supplies were gathered, both headed to the hatch of the ship and began their short trek towards the even longer and difficult one that awaited them.

--------------------

You bow to no one. Not anymore. Not ever again.~~~Matt Stanza

Posts: 151 | From: On the Hornett or ship-dealing elsewhere | Registered: Jan 2003  |  Logged: 76.123.97.116
Panthar Dantares

Super Dooper Member

Member # 494

posted 10-22-2007 09:47 PM     Profile for Panthar Dantares   Author's Homepage   Email Panthar Dantares     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
“Yes, sir!” said Panthar, glad to be moving. The ground was soft under his feet, and as they walked he could feel spots that were softer than others.

“I think I should point out,” he said matter-of-factly, “that this is kinda like the area that I went falling through. We should be really careful here.”

Just as he said the last word, Shayla’s foot gave way and her foot slipped into the ground. Panthar was immediately grabbing her around the waist, although she had only slipped a few centimeters. He smiled awkwardly and helped her out of the hole.

“See?” he said. “I, think maybe we ought to hold that piece of vine back there, so if one of us falls then the others can hold. Or we can lock hands together, but maybe the vine is easier? Just until we reach more solid ground, you know?”

[ 11-01-2007 10:18 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

Posts: 573 | From: North Liberty, IA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  Logged: 71.38.178.212
Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 10-22-2007 10:26 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Terrin had just stepped a few meters away from the ship when out the normal noises of the Degobahan swamps came the chirping of a commlink.

His commlink.

"Hell!" he growled under his breath, quickly silencing the chirp and gripping the portable Force cage. "I hope it can wait..."

Quieting then, he continued to move along, getting the strangest sensation that something was watching them. He uncociously reached for his blaster, and with effort managed to think enough to back off it a bit.

No need to draw extra attention to yourself until you've got a pretty good idea of what is going on.

But he couldn't shake the feeling...

...and became aware of a strange rustling sound to his far left. Now, to hell with it all, he gripped his blaster in one hand, the Force cage remaining in the other. The rustling continued, and the hairs began to stand on the back of his neck. Neaby Galen seemed to be noticing the same noises, seeming to become a bit more wide-eyed and alert herself.

But that's when, out of nowhere, something went up above their heads then swooped down and across both of them. Instinct took over, and Terrin dropped to the ground, reaching out and pulling Galen uncerimonously along with him, aiming his blaster up at the thing which had so suddenly swooped in on them...

...and realizing with even more alarm that whatever it was had disappeared entirely.

[ 10-22-2007 10:26 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Terrin Danner ]

--------------------

~~Galen

Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 10-29-2007 10:25 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
One minute I'm slogging along on a purportedly grassy hillock in the middle of a swamp -- read here a touch wee less moist spot in the middle of general gunk and goo -- and the next I found myself face down in the midst of it. For a split second I just lay there, stunned; then the oozing muck which was gradually filling my nostrils gave me more than enough incentive to move.

Which I did, with a vengeance, shoving off the whatever-it-was that was pinning me down--

Oh. Terrin's arm!

--and letting a mighty sneeze erupt from me.

"Wh-what in Hell's Seven Circles was that?"

The words burst out in an exasperated torrent, smack dab on the heels of the sneeze. They weren't followed by anything else, however, for any further comment on my part was frozen in place by the fading, raucous and somehow sinister screech which now assailed my ears from parts unknown... though suspiciously sounding like parts nearby.

I gulped and remained frozen in place, all except for my hand which began patting stealthily about my person for a weapon. Finding a blaster, I raised it to join Terrin's, which I now took the time to notice he had out and aimed upward.

"Wh-what was it?" I repeated then shut up, not wanting to draw any more attention to ourselves as I raised both blaster and eyes upward to scan what I could see of the sky with more than a little anxiety.

--------------------

Posts: 1457 | From: | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.117.195
Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 10-30-2007 07:24 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Terrin looked from where his eyes were pinned in the sky just enough to shake his head and mouth, "I don't know..."

Then his eyes trailed upward again, and his look darkened. Then he spoke up just enough for his words to be audible to just Galen. "A raptor?"

Whether the statement was an observation or a query wasn't quite clear, but the hairs on the back of Terrin's neck were all but standing on end. The eerie call resounded, this time at a closer proximity.

Terrin gulped, quietly. How he did that, exactly, he didn't know. Nor did he care. "We're being hunted," he then observed, mouthing again.

And just as quickly as it had come before, something winged, dark and fast appeared with lightning speed, its claws extended, and flew downward.

Terrin was able to make a couple of quick shots before a pain shot through his shoulder and his line of sight was blocked entirely.

--------------------

~~Galen

Shayla Stargazer Petrolu

Adept

Member # 123

posted 10-30-2007 07:36 PM     Profile for Shayla Stargazer Petrolu   Author's Homepage   Email Shayla Stargazer Petrolu     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Finding solid footing once more, Shayla opened her mouth and was about to reply to Panthar when an eerie sort of bird call grabbed her attention. "I don't think the ground is the only thing we have to worry about," she commented a unnecessarily, trying to fill the suddenly awkward silence falling upon them. "However, taking the vine along is a good idea. We may need it for later use, especially if we never make contact with the others overhead."

Shayla paused, frowning not so much in surprise to the lack of response but rather to the fact that she was the one who was responsible for it. "We might as well also decide what sorts of items we may need if we don't make contact with anyone else. I mean, I can sense Shawn, but without a map we could end up just as lost as he is."

She quieted again, her eyes growing distant. "We have to assume that the others have a plan they feel fairly confident in as well. Perhaps it would serve us better to simply head towards where I feel Shawn most closely, within reason...

...and simply wait. After all, if I force myself and my help upon them they will be even more suspicious of me than they would if I only waited to see if they decide there is no other way."

--------------------

"Small minds think in small terms!"
~~CMH~~
(I am NOT turning to the Darkside...)

Posts: 1711 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 76.123.97.116
Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 10-31-2007 09:49 AM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"Terrin!" I screamed as Death-on-wings descended upon us with a piercing screech, claws now grasping him by his shoulders, leathery wings flapping in my face. One resounding flap in particular knocked me backwards, head over hiney; with an gasp I rolled to a stop on my hands and knees, blaster yet clutched in my hand. I could have had a Jedi's sword in my clutching fingers for all the good it would have done me at that moment; pausing a precious second or two, I shook my head, trying to clear the stars from my vision.

Seconds later when I raised my head it was with a sense of some kind of shadow falling over me. To my utter horror, the thing was quickly rising upward, a struggling Terrin held within its wicked claws. With equal rapidity it was also growing smaller as it headed off over the boggy waters.

"Terrin!" I screamed again, this time louder, desperate. Scrabbling to my feet I came to a wide stance, aimed the blaster toward the thing-- but again wavered a precious second, afraid to fire.

What if I hit Terrin? I didn't dare hit Terrin...

The fact that the horrid shadow was growing smaller by the minute, accompanied by a distant splash as our intrepid warrior came from nowhere to leap into the swamp, spurred me into action. I gave myself one more precious second, steadied my shaking arms, took aim...

...and hit one of the thing's flapping wings.

It screeched in anger and pain, reeling in mid-flight, its shock apparent for those nasty claws thankfully opened and released Terrin. From the proverbial frying pan into the fire; from where I stood I could only watch in horror as he fell about twenty feet and disappeared into the murky waters of the surrounding swamp.

Said swamp which seemed to come to immediate, seething life for all the mysterious bumps and humps now peeping out from its surface, all on a straight bee-line to the spot where Terrin had gone under.

[ 10-31-2007 09:54 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Galen ]

--------------------

All times are CT
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e