my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Role Playing   » Empire and New Republic   » Back into the fire. (Page 9)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Printable Version
Author Topic: Back into the fire.
Kani Jetiis'ad

Member # 944

posted 01-29-2019 11:40 PM     Profile for Kani Jetiis'ad   Author's Homepage   Email Kani Jetiis'ad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
He certainly looks and sounds like the real Tarnus, and not an Actar imposter. Roll with it for now.

“I going to assume your definition of well is slightly different than mine,” Kani replied. “Yours seems to include being blown up twice, electrocuted, burned, oh and I’m green. This is the condensed version but I’m game if you want the more detailed version. To that end and to answer your question I did bring someone who can help out with telling you what happened, at least the parts I was unconscious for.”

Kani motioned to the door behind her indicating her guest was waiting on the other side.

“I have been keeping Jedi Petrolu company,” Kani indicated. “Although he looks different as well.”

Kani thought she caught a raised eyebrow at that comment. Realizing the implication of her comment.

“Not your definition of well,” Kani corrected. “He’s fine, possibly exhausted… also not what you think.”

Posts: 101 | From: | Registered: Sep 2009  |  Logged: 208.67.203.169
Sorben Tarnus

Former Top-Dog Bounty Hunter, Now 3rd-In-Charge of the Galaxy

Member # 44

posted 01-30-2019 01:31 PM     Profile for Sorben Tarnus   Author's Homepage   Email Sorben Tarnus     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I raised a brow at this, my eyes never leaving hers even as I notified my secretary to have the Troopers outside my door let the Jedi in.

"I trust our forces weren't those responsible for your... condition," I replied as sitting back I quietly waited for Petrolu to come into the room.

"As far as you had let me believe earlier, your position as a Nightwing Whisper Special Operation agent hadn't been... compromised...

"For whatever reason."

For a moment allowed myself to settle back in my seat a little, my mind racing with exactly what words I would speak to this uncommon pair once her traveling companion entered the room. Then I rose, went to a sideboard, picked up a carafe and poured myself a drink.

"Hot tea?" I asked, turning around to stare directly into her oddly colored eyes, letting the Hunter's instinct that had saved me more than once rise to the surface, seeking any subterfuge that may have been hidden in their depths.

[ 01-30-2019 01:39 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Sorben Tarnus ]

--------------------

I am not a droid

Posts: 380 | From: | Registered: Aug 2000  |  Logged: 75.106.180.73
Kani Jetiis'ad

Member # 944

posted 01-30-2019 03:05 PM     Profile for Kani Jetiis'ad   Author's Homepage   Email Kani Jetiis'ad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Playing the game of subterfuge was necessary in Kani’s line of work. Although a stereotypical play, she was well aware of what a young Twi’lek of her figure evoked as a physical response in most males… and some females. At times it was advantageous to use those assets, for the sake of the mission. Kani knew Tarnus suspected anterior motives in her, she suspected the same in him, she suspected he suspected he suspected her. There was subterfuge upon subterfuge that made the average espionage drama’s on the holos appear as criminally masterful as a stick up job at the backwater fuel depot. Instead of being drawn into it all Kani appropriated the simple approach. Kani tentatively held out a hand.

Still shakey, still pain, but all manageable.

“Tea would be appreciated,” Kani answered.

She let the silence hang in the air for a moment while she collected her thoughts to answer the real question Tarnus asked.

I might go down for this, but I first need to see if it will take Shawn with me. I owe him that much.

“I may need some answers first before I can give you mine,” Kani began. “First your definition of our, forces, and responsible. Last I saw you were being led away in all but literal irons. Now your back with no repercussions, makes one wonder what occurred there? The most genuine answer I can give you is this, I am still Ka’runi Jetiis’ad, I am still Mandalorian, and who you saw on that shuttle is still who I am if not more so.”

She removed the bandage from her wounded right eye and locked her gaze upon Tarnus.
(((OOC: Got the wrong eye, now fixed.)))

[ 01-30-2019 04:13 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Kani Jetiis'ad ]

Posts: 101 | From: | Registered: Sep 2009  |  Logged: 73.240.15.57
Sorben Tarnus

Member # 44

posted 01-30-2019 03:59 PM     Profile for Sorben Tarnus   Author's Homepage   Email Sorben Tarnus     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"And I am the same-" I began in reply, pouring another hot cup only to switch rontos in midstream as the door to my ready room opened, silhouetting a pair of Troopers and a rather pompous looking business type in its frame.

"-man still relying upon the capabilities of a good aide," I finished smoothly. Handing her the cup of tea, I then turned my back to her, presented it as well to the waiting troopers who held the newcomer by either arm.

"Release him, and return to your posts," I commanded as I set the carafe back upon the sideboard. I then stood silent a moment longer until the slight whoosh of the closing door told me the guards had returned to their duty.

I turned from the sideboard then, cocked a brow at the Jedi.

"Shawn?" I said, stifling the whisper of a grin that was straining to lift a corner of my lip. I turned back to Khani, cut her a most meaningful look, slid my eyes back to the waiting Jedi yet again, then widened my stance and planted my fists on my hips.

"Would either of you be so kind as to tell me what in all the Treasure on Roon has happened to you two? I have... something that is rather of some importance to disclose to you, but-"

I now turned my face back to Khani, let my gaze sink into her eyes, searching out her very soul. Considered but a moment longer before finishing.

"But it would be helpful to know if there are any other, ahh... players in the game that I should be made aware of before I go on any further."

The Jedi would more than likely spit out only the truth. That's what they do, after all.

But Khani... There was something about her screaming to me that something had happened, something dire enough to make her suddenly not trust who I was.

Whichever one I was in her eyes, that is.

I needed to know, and I needed to know now.

[ 01-30-2019 04:42 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Sorben Tarnus ]

--------------------

I am not a droid

Shawn Petrolu

Trustworthy Jedi Knight

Member # 154

posted 01-30-2019 04:00 PM     Profile for Shawn Petrolu   Author's Homepage   Email Shawn Petrolu     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Shawn easily picked up on Kani's hesitation regarding whether she should trust Tarnus and how much. While Tarnus might have made some less than desirable choices and moves in the past...

...that was the past. Shawn sensed absolutely no reason to not trust here and now. In fact, he felt this was the time to do just that.

"It's Kani's story to tell," Shawn said simply then. Shawn flicked his eyes to Kani then, sending her a meaningful look. "He needs to know."

[ 01-30-2019 04:19 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Shawn Petrolu ]

--------------------

Please shoot me, I'm surrounded by idiots.

Posts: 553 | From: See Mara1Jade | Registered: Mar 2002  |  Logged: 108.71.141.62
Kani Jetiis'ad

Member # 944

posted 01-30-2019 05:07 PM     Profile for Kani Jetiis'ad   Author's Homepage   Email Kani Jetiis'ad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kani looked Shawn up and down, watching carefully for any subtle hints or subtle tidbits to indicate anything contrary to what he had said. There were none, Shawn read like on open book.

“There are three or four different plans that ran together that brought us to this point,” Kani began. “I’ll work through them chronologically. I did as you asked and sent out a message to my people. As far as the Empire knows I tracked down a Jedi sympathizer, not Shawn, who bombed the base after you left and I killed them in one of their safe houses. That accounts for two of the three explosions you will likely hear about today.”

Observing that this news did not appear to faze either of them Kani moved on to the next part of her story.

“Next I returned to base to keep an eye on Shawn and find out more about what was happening to you,” She continued. “We came to the realization that neither of us were in the position to do anything here so through a joint effort we disappeared and established cover identities while we formulated a plan on how to help you. Though I am glossing over many steps it is because of this why Shawn looks the way he does and why I am green, at least for now.”

Someone offered Kani a cup containing some tea, at this point Kani was not paying attention to who but was thankful for the intermission to allow her to mentally prepare for the important part.

“Now lets just say for a moment that our conversation aboard the shuttle had me questioning everything the Empire had told me. And in that questioning I took a second look at these.”

Kani withdrew her pill case that she had carried, the one she knew both Shawn and Tarnus had observe her taking before. She tossed the case over to Tarnus.

“Turns out Actar or whoever was tasked with handling me had gotten me addicted to glitterstim. That is only the tip of the iceberg, Shawn offered to use the Force to heal me. That is when we discovered what Actar had really done. I’m not sure of the method, but somehow Actar had me possessed by something that responds to sufficiently powerful Force users. One that attacks them and had full access to my once former abilities. The glitterstim we guessed kept that thing in check, in process of dealing with and getting rid of that… thing, I ended up in this physical condition. On the bright side I regained a limited connection to the Force. Lets just say that in the aftermath it would have drawn to many eyes and to many questions, hence we covered it up with explosion number three. Shawn took us into the undercity their we came to the realization that if Actar had the resources to do what he did to me then surely he would have a means to know if I broke his control over me.”

She finished her cup and levitated the empty glass back over to the others.

“Our new plan was to get off of Coruscant before he could do anything about it, then find a way to help you. We were about to execute that plan when your recall order came in and both Shawn and I knew we had to investigate. My reluctance to tell you this right off the bat is from a certain point of view your return indicates that Actar may have gotten to you as well, in which case me telling you this is at best a death sentence or worse you have those Stormtroopers ready to take me back to fix what hold I broke. And I assure you I am not going back to that life.”

[ 01-30-2019 05:08 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Kani Jetiis'ad ]

Terrin Danner

Exceptional Salesman turned Really Nice Guy

Member # 110

posted 01-30-2019 07:14 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
(((OCC: Message incoming from Tales of Strength, Life of Honor in the CSWU.)))

”Fast response of armada appreciated…but apparently your flagship the Relentless is not thrilled with us coming into its area and is tractoring us in. Any chance you can communicate with them that we’re friendlies?”

--------------------

"Where's the horns, flyboy?"
~~Galen
It is a far greater thing to live a life with purpose and risk death than to simply live.~~CMH

Posts: 1196 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 108.71.141.62
Sorben Tarnus

Member # 44

posted 01-30-2019 07:33 PM     Profile for Sorben Tarnus   Author's Homepage   Email Sorben Tarnus     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The insistent blinking heralding an incoming message was certainly not enough at the moment to tear my gaze away from Khani's. There she stood, just as defiant as I remembered, equally as vulnerable.

She is seeking something...

Quietly, I pressed a particular button on the desk, was rewarded when a small door slid obediently open. I didn't have to look; my fingers reached and brought out the blaster I had hidden there for such an occasion as it would be needed, and needed quickly. I might not have my armor any longer, but I still had my reflexes.

I laid it quietly on the shining greelwood desktop. Placed my hand flat down beside it. Placed my other hand in a similar position, and leaned slightly forward.

"Shawn?" I said, not looking at him as I spoke the words, my eyes still glued to Khani's pair, one clear and deep, the other horribly blank. It was all I could do to keep my gaze from dropping down in horror to drink in the sight of the rest of her battered frame.

"Shawn?" I repeated, and fell silent.

Off to one side, the little signal continued its insistent blinking, impervious to what might be going down in this very room in but moments to come.

[ 01-30-2019 08:06 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Sorben Tarnus ]

--------------------

I am not a droid

Shawn Petrolu

Trustworthy Jedi Knight

Member # 154

posted 01-30-2019 07:53 PM     Profile for Shawn Petrolu   Author's Homepage   Email Shawn Petrolu     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Shawn's eyes deepened...

...with hurt knowing what Kani had been through, knowing how she had been lied to and used by the Empire. Knowing that the hurt ran far deeper than physical wounds.

"She's telling the truth, Sorben," Shawn said then simply, keenly aware that Tarnus was asking far more than that. "And somewhere in all of this the Empire...or at least, Actar...lead her to believe that the Jedi had her Mother killed....

...and with all that's happened, along with what I know as a once very active member of the Jedi Council that has long since died, that's simply not the case."

Shawn paused then, looking to Kani, whose eyes were still locked on Sorben's, sensing she needed reassurance as well. "Kani, you can trust him."

[ 01-30-2019 07:58 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Shawn Petrolu ]

--------------------

Posts: 553 | From: See Mara1Jade | Registered: Mar 2002  |  Logged: 108.71.141.62
Sorben Tarnus

Member # 44

posted 01-30-2019 08:33 PM     Profile for Sorben Tarnus   Author's Homepage   Email Sorben Tarnus     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I nodded my head slowly, but once, and lowered myself into my chair. The blaster found its way back into its hidden cubby before I'd settled myself against the rich full-grain nerfhide leather.

"You could use a bacta tank, Kani," I said, now fisting one hand, finger alongside my upper lip, elbow in the spot occupied by the blaster mere moments before. "I'll get the best med-droids out to you as soon as we're finished here."

My eyes slid to the blinking light, and for a moment I simply sat there staring at it. Then I reached out and toggled a switch so that message would come out as audio. What better way to show the pair who I was, who I really am, and ghods helps us that we never go through this kind of distrust again.

The message quieted. I let it sit impatiently; it was, after all, not essential that I respond immediately. Of greater importance was this pair sitting in front of me...

And what somehow we had to finagle out of this great, uncaring Galaxy we lived in.

"Terrin Danner approached me not many hours ago, seeking assistance in finding his wife, Galen. It appears she is lost in the northern quadrant, trapped in a powerless-"

I hesitated just the slightest.

"Mandalorian ship, with only a standard SOS distress signal being squirted. It was their belief her distress signal is not being relayed in subspace or along the HoloNet, but is traveling in realspace. They needed help in triangulation, and I agreed to send an armada to assist."

Another brief but pregnant moment passed, one in which the two shot fast glances toward each other before placing their full attentions on yours truly once again.

"They have been told General Swatzi, Admiral Actar's Second, was found on Ambria, assassinated. This I know to be true... the Admiral himself told me when I was brought before him.

"They have also been told that Admiral Actar is missing from Ambria, and was last seen departing in a ship of Mandalorian origin. Admittedly I fudged this slightly, for I needed to direct them to help Danner and his friends.

"We may be in need of every friend we've got."

I stopped for a moment, now rising to pace back to the sideboard, there pour myself two fingers of Walk'nFall in lieu of the cooling carafe of tea. I shot it down my throat, relishing it's hot fire, visualizing the fires I knew were out there, fires answering the beck and call of Forces I'd rather steer as far away from as I could, truth be known.

But you're the goddamned Acting Admiral of the entire frakkin' Empire, ol' Blue Eyes! No more cutting and running, not again.

I thought of my purloined armor, sitting where it was. Thought of all I'd experienced, what so many of us had gone through. Swore to all the ghods that I would get that armor back again... and regain the honor due it by actions I was now trying to set in motion.

I poured another double, turned back to them.

"Admiral Actar has nothing to do with that Mandalorian ship," I went on as if discussing the weather. "But it is true that he's missing."

I drew in a breath.

"When I was brought before him on Ambria he announced he'd killed Swatzi, said this-" I waved a hand about myself "-was all mine now, and... and..."

Ghods but Khani was going to think I'd gone off my rocker. I could only hope the Jedi could verify something of the bombshell I was about to drop on them.

"And then some kind of portal, a black roiling rip in the very air, opened up and yanked him through. I know that place, I've been there. They call it the Darker Realms; it's outside of our reality but that doesn't mean it's not real.

"It's very, very dangerous, and he's in it. And I'm in charge of all Imperial Forces, but I can't quite claim this fully as yet. Not until Actar is formally pronounced dead."

[ 01-30-2019 08:37 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Sorben Tarnus ]

--------------------

I am not a droid

Shawn Petrolu

Trustworthy Jedi Knight

Member # 154

posted 01-30-2019 09:13 PM     Profile for Shawn Petrolu   Author's Homepage   Email Shawn Petrolu     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Shawn Petrolu had experienced much in the past few years since he'd left the Jedi Council he'd just mentioned. He'd gone from being a simple Jedi, unaware of much that existed within this Universe and well beyond that. His sister, his twin sister no less, had been taken by Graysith from the Praxeum, leading him to Terrin and Eagle Enterprises to assist them....

...only to in turn learn of who and what the Sith truly were: a civilization with both good and bad, like much else in the Universe. While he had not actually ever been there, Shawn had much knowledge and experience with the Darker Realms...

...including hoards demonic imps and Sith with All powers that were aligned with the Realms. The idea of Actar being in those Realms, potentially doing something of his own malicious design, did little for Shawn's nerves.

Shawn looked to Kani, daring to stretch out and open himself to her. "I haven't been to the Darker Realms but I'm way too well aware of them an what can happen when they are pulled into this side of reality and used by someone who already has powers of their own," Shawn said, his look darkening. "Those that exist in those Darker Realms would very much like to have a foothold here in reality, and if Actar allies with them we are all damned."

Shawn paused. For quite possibly Kani might decide both he and Tarnus were quite mad. "We need to disconnect him from the Empire and let them know he is dead...

...and pray that he stays dead." Shawn paused, pursing his lips, then looking to Tarnus. "I do have familiarity with Galen's Force signature and should be able to link with her and potentially help you find her if we get into a good range of her potential whereabouts. Maybe if we can get to that Mandalorian ship before anyone realizes Actar really isn't on it we can both rescue Galen and set up a scenario to then announce Actar's untimely passing..."

--------------------

Kani Jetiis'ad

Member # 944

posted 01-30-2019 10:24 PM     Profile for Kani Jetiis'ad   Author's Homepage   Email Kani Jetiis'ad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Her shoulders slumped forward in the chair, it was taking to much energy for her to maintain that determined posture. Truth be told she had accepted this was the Tarnus she had come to know, her affirmation was her need to process what happened.

“Few days ago I would have a hard time believing you,” Kani said. “I mean I had seen some incredible things through the Force, like Skywalker level stuff. But considering what I have just been through I am willing to reconsider what I though was absolute law. I have no reason not to trust you, either of you at this point. At best I could only manage to kill myself if you really wanted to do something to me.”

Kani did long for the promised bacta, Shawn’s healing had done so much already but she knew that the damage she sustained would have killed almost anyone else.

“I recognize your attempt to bait me,” Kani continued. “You mentioned a Mandalorian ship, knowing that I am Mandalorian. Anything more specific you can tell me, and who is this Galen and why does she have a Mandalorian ship?”

Sorben Tarnus

Member # 44

posted 02-02-2019 02:57 PM     Profile for Sorben Tarnus   Author's Homepage   Email Sorben Tarnus     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Who was this Galen...

Well now, let me stop a moment and think. She was the fierce and fearless warrior who came swooping out of absolutely nowhere, in a Sith ship no less - how does she do it? - rescuing my Verpine buddy K'kihl and I from the clutches of a nasty canasta who went by the name of Darth Wicked. Said Darth who got himself involved with Galen's own sister, now a personage going by the name of Graysith or something, more on that later...

My new right hand, Galen is one who dealt with more than one baddie throughout our tenure together: Gravin Dark, some dark lady Gouyen Some-body-or-other, who introduced me to the fact that the SITH are real, are not the dark jedi types most people think, but a real living race with their own civilization and culture, newly revived... Strong enough to destroy an entire Imperial fleet, which they did.

Galen, the one woman in my entire life against which my shields had absolutely no defense. Who stole my heart as surely as she stole me away from Wicked, with whom I had a daughter - oh Darra, where are you now? - my only love who up and left me for reasons known only to herself...

The woman and child Admiral Actar had commanded I hunt down and kill, as proof of loyalty to him. Damn my soul but I tried... only to find that, per her usual way of handling her life, she'd managed to stay one or twenty-five steps ahead of me, creating clones which ye ghods I murdered...

It was the hardest thing I'd ever done, keeping every lick of the internal struggle now roiling in my gut from showing itself on my face. What a time to be without my armor!

I let my eyes go pewter.

"Galen is the wife of Terrin Danner of Eagle Enterprises," I finally said. "She and I have had a... past, now over.

"How she managed to get her hands on a Mandalorian ship is beyond me. Suffice it to say she has a knack of doing these things."

I reached out, ready to send out a communication.

"How about I order that bacta tank for you?" I went on, genuinely concerned. She wasn't fooling me in the slightest with the tough act she was putting on.

Galen was the Queen at that trick...!

"There's a lot on our plates, and I need you in the best condition you can be. My thanks to Shawn here, but I think our facilities can greatly expedite getting you back on your feet again. Not to mention doing something about that skin of yours.

"But first-"

I toggled the transmitter, replying to Terrin who I'm sure had gnawed every fingernail off his fingers by now.

"Tarnus here, Terrin. I'm afraid I can't let our forces know about you, not yet. Be prepared to cooperate fully; I will make certain that you are not harmed when troopers board your ship. But you may have a bit of a wait ahead of you, quite possibly in one of the detention centers aboard ship.

"Again, just play along, and trust me.

"Tarnus, out."

One flick of a finger sent the message back to the waiting man. I raised my eyes to Kani again.

"Bacta?" I inquired, quirking my brow and letting a corner of my lip follow suit.

((OOC: Message goes into "Tales of Strength, Life of Honor" in the CSWU forums, thank you.))

[ 02-02-2019 03:24 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Sorben Tarnus ]

--------------------

I am not a droid

Shawn Petrolu

Trustworthy Jedi Knight

Member # 154

posted 02-02-2019 04:17 PM     Profile for Shawn Petrolu   Author's Homepage   Email Shawn Petrolu     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ever the well-trained Jedi and a very astute observer, the veritable upwelling of emotions that Sorben kept well hidden beneath the surface didn't escape his attentions. His ability to do so was quite impressive, to say the least. But that by no means meant that Shawn had missed any of it. Likewise, he remained quiet and attentive as Sorben sent his message back to Terrin. Despite himself, Shawn arched an eyebrow, then let it drop, falling back into almost complete impassivity...almost.

Yeah, that wasn't going to go over well with Terrin. Not in the slightest...

Shawn could practically imagine the reaction from the other end of the communication. He actually wondered if Terrin would have it in him to play along...

...and trust.

He probably wasn't going to have a choice. Hopefully he had some EE crewman or someone else with him who could keep him thinking sanely…

Shawn cocked his head a bit as Tarnus offered Kani bacta, and the guilt he was harboring over not having the time to handle it himself resurfaced. Shaking himself from such thoughts, Shawn focused on Kani once more, hoping she'd take the offer after their very long ordeal before the new challenges that laid ahead. And likewise suddenly feeling like a fish out of water without his blue jedi robes....

[ 02-02-2019 04:20 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Shawn Petrolu ]

--------------------

Kani Jetiis'ad

Member # 944

posted 02-02-2019 07:18 PM     Profile for Kani Jetiis'ad   Author's Homepage   Email Kani Jetiis'ad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tarnus didn’t have the information she requested or withheld it for the time being, and Kani did not have the energy to care or argue the point. She accepted that to be of more use first she had to recover her strength.

“Very well,” Kani admitted. “I’ll take you up on the bacta, but a few ground rules. No using this as an excuse to leave me behind, no glitterstim, and no prosthetics.”

Kani looked back and forth between the pair starring them down to reinforce her seriousness on that point.

“Before I forget I should contact my uncle before he shows up unannounced or something. Since I only gave him minimal information. Anything you want me to relay to them first?”

She gave them time to respond while finding the words she needed to say on a more sensitive matter.

“Sorben I do have a more personal request,” Kani began. “Since I now know it was Actar responsible for my mothers death and not the Jedi, it is likely that he or one of his minions kept my mothers belongings after they killed her. If possible I would like to have my mothers armor, lightsaber, and other personal effects returned to me. There is no body I know, but as a Mandalorian those things are what harbor her soul, the most important things I could have.”

Sorben Tarnus

Member # 44

posted 02-02-2019 08:04 PM     Profile for Sorben Tarnus   Author's Homepage   Email Sorben Tarnus     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I stood up at that, returned to the sideboard for another good jolt of Walk'nFall. Standing there with my fortitude in hand, I frowned, my back still presented to them both.

"I- I've been away for some time, leading an armada elsewhere. I'm afraid I have not been informed of your mother's death or what may have happened to her effects."

I turned back to the pair, tossed the drink down the hatch and placed the glass on the sideboard.

"Actar and Swatzi are known to be extremely close-mouthed about things they find of importance, you see. They would know of this; unfortunately at the time of her death I was not... important enough to have been enlightened.

"And about your uncle; do you know for a fact that he is en route here to Coruscant, now, or is this just speculation on your part?"

--------------------

I am not a droid

Kani Jetiis'ad

Member # 944

posted 02-03-2019 01:15 AM     Profile for Kani Jetiis'ad   Author's Homepage   Email Kani Jetiis'ad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
She nodded in agreement to Tarnus’s assessment.

“It is a speculation, but one rooted in logic. At the time I reached out to him with the brief message of needing to make contact quietly I was still working under the assumption that the Jedi killed my mother. My Uncle likely knows what really happened and will take it as their first firm lead of my whereabouts. He won’t outright attack and risk a war with the Empire, but he does have the resources to hit the Empire in a way they never saw coming, or could be traced back to them. He may not buy my reasons of recent change of circumstance but I do know him and can gauge a likely response if I were to speak to him.”

Kani maneuvered her chair closer to Tarnus.

“Also I know at a time like this it is a selfish request. To ask for my mothers armor and weapons, surly you know what a parents armor means to their child. Before I thought it lost, now with every thing that has happened its possible for me to recover her lost soul to help return her to the Manda.”

Kani folded her hands in her lap. Searching for the words, running far short of an elaborate or logical reason she stuck with the raw emotion she felt.

“I have never told anyone this though Shawn felt it briefly through the Force. Right before my mother died she reached out to me through the Force. However in the moment of her death all her emotions, all her memories, all that was her being flooded over me. On one hand it was beautiful I had a perfect understanding of how much I meant to her how my life in a way filled the impossible hole left by my grandfather leaving like he did, that made me very happy. On the other every painful memory of her life, and their were several, also came out. Many of those from before my grandfather found her on that pirate ship. But the worse one she had was the realization that very soon I would lose her. I was very young at the time and couldn’t comprehend the importance of that moment. So I withdrew and severed my own connection with the Force, and suppressed most of my memories surrounding that event. It didn’t help that the Empire covered up the Mandalorian mission, they didn’t want to admit at the time how far they made it through Imperial security nor how much that mission actually succeeded.”

A gentle smile grew on her face, the first genuine one since that day.

“When Shawn helped me overcome that thing of Actar’s control I felt another presence, my connection with the Force was tenuous and just as it was about to take me over and kill Shawn I felt her. My mother somehow helped me drive that thing out, and now I can see what really happened that day what really happened to me all these years.”

She gathered what strength she could through the Force, commanding her muscles and nerves to ignore their protests and work for once. With both hands on the arm of her chair Kani pushed herself off and advanced slowly on Tarnus with a shuffling uneven gait. In front of his imposing figure she could hardly appear threatening, in fact that was far from her aim. Kani faced him as any Mandalorian would.

“I have accepted those events, I am not seeking revenge on you or the Empire for the wrong it has done me. I will be the first to admit that I would relish the opportunity to run Actar through with my lightsaber. Let me say the proper goodbye to her that I denied her all those years ago, as her apprentice and her daughter.”

Her control was waning, with a shaky attempt to balance herself Kani started to fall back when something caught her and helped guide her back to the chair.

“Surly with the resources you now possess we can find the Empires intelligence files from that day and track down her armor that, I’m only asking that you try.”

Sorben Tarnus

Member # 44

posted 02-04-2019 09:44 AM     Profile for Sorben Tarnus   Author's Homepage   Email Sorben Tarnus     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I nodded in general agreement with what Kani was saying, and took a seat.

"Yes, I do have the resources at my disposal, Kani. What with what the immediate future is bringing us I was hoping to put this aside for a bit, but I see how much this means to you. I'll get someone on it immdediately, but I am also ordering you to not try anything on your own regarding this. Searching for this information is not your mandate; there are other areas where you may be needed more, and I want to have your full attention.

"Is this clear?"

I paused a moment, but simultaneously raised my hand to prevent any rebuttal on her part. When silence ticked on, I smiled and loosened my demeanor a little.

"General Landarian is commanding Relentless," I went on in apparent non sequiteur. "He has my full trust, and always has. At this time the only people who are aware of the assassination of General Swatzi and Actar's disappearance are him, perhaps his First...

"And you two."

Another pregnant pause, accompanied by yet another raise of my hand.

"There are... forces in play that very few are aware of, forces which supercede personal closures or simply chasing after loved ones at this time. We three-" I indicated in turn both Kani and Shawn with a simple nod of my head, "-are the only ones in the Empire who are aware of who the pilot of that Mandalorian ship really is. The only other people who even know the ship is out there are Landarian, and the people aboard Challenger who unfortunately must play along with this little game until I am safely accepted as successor to both Actar and Swatzi. Remember, until Actar is truly pronounced dead, I am only considered to be acting Admiral. And while I hope the brief communication between Danner and I won't have been picked up by any big ears as of yet, I simply don't want to press our luck any further by sending him any further and lengthy explanations.

"You know that even in my position, the walls have a tendency to grow them. Thus those aboard Challenger must be allowed to be tractored, and brought here. I think it the best means of getting them onboard with us at this time. And when that Mandalorian ship is found, and the pilot is discovered not to be Actar, Galen is most certainly to be detained. Again, this is the best way of getting all who will eventually be involved with us here with minimum of risk. Plausible deniability is crucial right now."

I gave them both a moment or two to digest my words before turning to Shawn.

"Didn't Thoran come with you?" I asked in genuine surprise. "I think you two need to listen to some of the things he divulged to me before we left Tatooine." Quickly I checked records; there was nothing showing any unknown alien being arrested and placed in Imperial detention.

I cocked my head toward the two in front of me, took a brief moment to order the circumstances surrounding Kani's mother be investigated, then rose for some more liquid fortification. I remained silent as I poured another stiff jolt, my mind circling and circling like pod racers on Boonta Eve as I busied it pondering what next potential moves we would make in this little game of galactic chess we had so suddenly been drawn into.

[ 02-04-2019 02:10 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

I am not a droid

Shawn Petrolu

Trustworthy Jedi Knight

Member # 154

posted 02-04-2019 07:11 PM     Profile for Shawn Petrolu   Author's Homepage   Email Shawn Petrolu     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Captain Danner will hopefully read between the lines and play along as we need them to," Shawn responded. "He was a smuggler long before he became a respectable businessman, and he's all-too-familar with Actar and what he's capable of doing."

And how he's always after Galen, came the unbidden thought. "There is the possibility that some the inner circle of Eagle Enterprises knows about that Mandalorian ship and that Galen is its pilot...

...and they may make a move to do something to find it, especially Terrin's business partner, who tends to stay on the outskirts of things until needed. And if I know Terrin like I'm pretty sure I do, he covered all his bases before he turned to you for help." Shawn paused, pursing his lips a bit. "Could be a potential problem for things to fall in line for all of them to get captured and sent here if EE starts looking for that ship too...

...or for Terrin, for that matter."

Shawn quieted a moment then and frowned, having totally forgotten about Thoran with all that had happened in the past few days. "The last I saw Thoran, he was still on the Spice Eater," Shawn then replied. "I don't know where he went from there."

He paused then, letting all traces of annoying Jedi inscrutability slide, at least for the moment. "He and I had a little chat on our way to Coruscant, actually, about some of those other forces at play, the Sith...

...and white spiders that seem to have the capability to do strange things to people that even my Jedi healing abilities--based on an all too close encounter I've had--can't do anything about."

Shawn trailed a moment, calling on a bit of his Jedi calm to assuage rising concern.

What were they, anyway? They practically...no, pretty much literally....sucked the life force from Lord Aelvedaar and Galen...

With effort, Shawn shook himself from such thoughts. Then, "Before I came to Tatooine, I left from Khar Delba as an ambassador of sorts. I was going to the Praxeum that never happened to let the Jedi know that the Sith are not what history says they are and to set the record straight. I had been working with a fellow Jedi called Paul Arakeen, but I have absolutely no idea what happened to him, and the little bit of the Jedi Council that was is no longer....probably all dead."

Shawn's eyes defocused for a few moments, his calm again sliding into the barest traces of pain. And just like that, it the look faded, and his eyes snapped back to Sorben. "As you have already said, there are forces at play beyond all of us. I'd love to hear what Thoran has to say. Hopefully he hasn't gone too far, and will be willing to ahhh..elucidate further. He was being a little hush-mouthed and cryptic when he and I spoke on our trip here."

He paused then, eyeing Sorben's drink. "Got any of that to spare?" he then asked.

Jedi or not, after all, he did appreciate a good drink, especially when the conversation was shifting to matters of oh-so-much consequence....

...and far more than even just that.

[ 02-04-2019 08:28 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Shawn Petrolu ]

--------------------

Kani Jetiis'ad

Member # 944

posted 02-05-2019 09:41 AM     Profile for Kani Jetiis'ad   Author's Homepage   Email Kani Jetiis'ad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This was not at all how Kani had planned her day. At first she thought her physical condition would be the most annoying aspect of it, being Mandalorian and all. However as the conversation rolled on, her lack of what she assumed the others took as basic knowledge began to grate on her.

White magical healing spiders, how hard did those explosions knock me around today. Questions for later…

Kani would normally have remained silent gleaning the conversation for all the Intel that it was worth, but this was not not her best day. Her usually contradictory demeanor of stone like rigidity contrasted against the brazen firebrand did soften considerably from recent events, something she contributed to not being under the influence psychotropic drugs or possession any longer. In her truer to original the Kani from before her mother’s death, Kani appreciated the steps Tarnus was taking in regards to her mothers possessions and left the matter is his more than capable hands.

“Sorben,” Kani said. “I leave the task of locating my mothers belongings to you, thank you ner vod.”

She offered a slight bow of her head as was typical of Jedi deference, and not in any way meant to convey sarcasism.

I will offer him the same level of trust I would to any fellow Mandalorian. Lets be real, short of a box labeled “Twi’lek Mandalorian Jedi Master Jetiis’ad’s personal effects” being plopped down right in front of me by magic I doubt I can speed up the process.

Leaning back, Kani relaxed in her borrowed chair. She was using a very broad definition of relaxed, one that encompassed the concept of sitting there because she lack the energy to do much of anything else. Realizing that her immediate usefulness was limited to answering Mandalorian specific questions, those questions predicated on knowledge that any of them lacked at this juncture, Kani longed for the sweet release that only death or its much more preferred substitute bacta could only bring.

“I don’t mean to rush either of you,” Kani said. “Actually I do this is really painful, but most bacta tanks can be rigged with comms. If at all possible can I continue this meeting in one of those?”

Sorben Tarnus

Member # 44

posted 02-05-2019 04:18 PM     Profile for Sorben Tarnus   Author's Homepage   Email Sorben Tarnus     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Damn Kani's rigidly tough little hide, but I hadn't been aware of the degree of her injuries. I jerked into awareness of the fact that she was swaying slightly, that the hand extended in my direction was shaking slightly, and that her green skin had paled into something approaching a side salad I'd eat with a good nerf steak.

Dammit Sorben ol' pal, if you don't get her into a bacta tank pronto, she may be past healing, or at the very least incapacitated longer than all of us wish her to be. Not to mention how long [i]she'd want to be.

I nodded to Shawn that he help himself to beverage of his choice, even as I toggled for a med-droid to take her to the infirmary and get her installed in the highest grade bacta tank we had.

It didn't take long until there came a genteel knock on my door. At my command it slid open to reveal a First Degree med-droid standing there, patiently waiting to see which one of we mere humans was the patient he had come to fetch.

--------------------

I am not a droid

Shawn Petrolu

Trustworthy Jedi Knight

Member # 154

posted 02-05-2019 08:24 PM     Profile for Shawn Petrolu   Author's Homepage   Email Shawn Petrolu     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Shawn turned to regard Kani even as the med-droid stood waiting for her. "Go on, and we'll fill you in when you're up to it," he said simply.

And there was yet a lot more filling in which was in order. After all, he'd only been able to relate a bare minimum to her regarding the Sith when they'd been on the run to find Sorben. And there was much more at play than that, not only the Darker Realms but also the incoming Yuuzhan Vong.

Shawn's eyes defocused, and he frowned despite himself. Thoran had been right when they had spoken while en route to Coruscant. Everyone needed to stop fighting with one another and prepare for what was incoming.

[i]And potentially what was already here...

--------------------

Kani Jetiis'ad

Member # 944

posted 02-06-2019 12:06 AM     Profile for Kani Jetiis'ad   Author's Homepage   Email Kani Jetiis'ad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Recognizing the door was still slid open for any keen ear to hear, Kani readopted the Storm Commando persona.

“General, Jedi Petrolu.” Kani bade goodbye.

The droid maneuvered behind the chair and guided her out the ready room. Once on the other side Kani signaled it to halt briefly while she ordered one of the troopers to take her bag that she had Shawn carry from before and follow them. As they proceeded down the corridor the med-droid ran a high level scan relaying the results as they went.

Massive calcification of the skeletal system, micro seizures, double vision, dermal burn scaring, flashed burned retinal and optical nerve. All great things to be experiencing.

They arrived at the infirmary, before the trooped who carried her things departed she had him retrieve a specific datacard from the duff and hand it to the med-droid, one that contained the protocol for how her skin had turned green. Luckily the process to change it back did not involve the extremes of before and could be added to the bacta treatment it was already prescribing. Kani nodded along to its assessment before interrupting its efforts to begin treatment.

“I do not consent to any use of glitterstim or any similar drug, coma inducing medication, or any prosthetics. Do I make myself clear.”

The med-droid acknowledged its ethical programming now locked in her protests and moved her into a repulsor field outside of the bacta tank. Using the field to hold her aloft the droid was joined by several others that moved to strip Kani of her weapons, equipment, and most of her clothing. They left her in what could be best described as a sport top and a pair of short shorts the Stormtrooper called silkies with certain disdain. Next they fitted the breath mask to her and ran a quick communications check. Confirming all was in good order they lifted her up and suspended her in the tank of seemingly magical healing goo. The lead droid check all the tank’s readouts before before activating a control to cause the tank to take on a one way semi opaque effect. Kani could see out but the outside could only make out her silhouette. This was beyond her level of caring for now as Kani relaxed and let the sweet sweet healing juice do its work.

Captain Landarian

Broken Back Button

Member # 935

posted 02-07-2019 05:07 PM     Profile for Captain Landarian   Author's Homepage   Email Captain Landarian     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
((OOC: Comes in from Tales of Strength, Life of Honor in [b]CSWU forums, thank you.))[/i]

"Captain Landarian to Coruscant HQ, Eyes of General Tarnus Only. Informing of capture of small ship Challenger, Captained by one Yaoksi Joao, in the company of escaped Imperial prisoner Terrin Danner, a Jedi of unknown Force ability, and a female Ryn outfitted with a prosthetic arm, said to be the adopted daughter of Captain Joao. It is the claim of this group that they are seeking one Galen Danner, wife of Captain Danner, whom they claim to be trapped alone aboard a dysfunctional Mandalorian ship.

"Furthermore, info from Star Destroyer Rabid provided by their interceptor, Sly, states a signal emanating from coordinates..." He quickly read them off. "...which may prove useful in triangulating the position of what just may be Admiral Actar and the missing Mandalorian ship.

"It is my personal opinion that the likelihood of two Mandalorian ships, both disabled, would be in such close proximity to each other is highly unlikely. Unless there is something afoot in Mandalorian space.

"Forgive the temerity, my friend, but I would think it more than appropriate to send at least some scouts into Mandalorian space, and see if there is anything untoward happening there. Just as a precaution.

"Awaiting further orders. Landarian, out."

--------------------

We're not out to save the galaxy, we just want it to behave itself...

Posts: 13 | From: ISSD [i]Relentless[/i] | Registered: Jun 2007  |  Logged: 75.106.180.73
Sorben Tarnus

Member # 44

posted 02-08-2019 10:40 AM     Profile for Sorben Tarnus   Author's Homepage   Email Sorben Tarnus     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No sooner had the med-droid departed with Kani than Landarian's message popped up on my command screen. It didn't take long to read; even as the Jedi was settling himself comfortably, fresh drink in hand, I pulled up some stats regarding positioning of Imperial fleet ships.

Ah, good. Captain Jissel aboard flagship Todthund was relatively close, still seeing to the blockade at Obra-Skai. This works nicely...

Quickly sending the command that he send one of his accompanying destroyers to check out the sectors covering Mandalorian space, I then turned my attention to Landarian's information. Paused a moment, then opened a returning scrambled and coded message of my own.

"Landarian, Tarnus here," I began typing, then stopped. Cocking my head a bit to one side, I took but a small moment to arch a brow in Shawn's direction before switching to audio. This, if nothing else, should help lay to rest any remaining doubts he may yet be holding about me and my sincerity in helping him.

"Landarian, Tarnus here. I welcome your insight as always, and have just sent orders to Jissel to check out the possibility of something ahh... untoward coming down the pike in Mandalorian space. Depending on what is found there, you may find assisting him to be your next mission.

"Regarding the people found aboard Challenger..." I paused a bit longer now, considering the best course of action for all involved.

"I want them continued to be held in detention... BUT I want no harm to come to them. I know your troops, my friend; they're good soldiers but do tend to be a bit eager in the performance of their duties.

"They are not, I repeat NOT to perpetrate any aggressive actions against these detainees, nor to harm so much as a hair on their heads. Not. One. Hair. Keep them under wraps; we don't want them wandering about your ship of course. And again, keep them separated. I've never trusted the Jedi, and this Danner fellow has escaped from the Imperial detention center here on Coruscant. Be particularly careful with both when seeing to their needs, but see to those needs.

"These people are known to Admiral Actar; I'm sure he would want to deal with them upon his return to HQ, and they aren't much use to him dead.

"Tarnus, out."

A movement of one finger sent the return communication winging back to Relentless, where I knew Landarian would follow my directive to a tee. During this implementation my eyes had never left Shawn's; I now settled again in my chair and reached out for my own Walkn'Fall.

"You were saying something about Thoran?" I put forth, really as a simple gesture to get conversation rolling while the question rolled about in my head as just how he should be, ahhh... sent for.

This was after all Imperial HQ on Coruscant, and I found myself now wondering if it would be best to order troops to approach as phalanx consisting of friends...

Or foes.

((OOC: The above message goes off to Tales of Strength, Life of Honor in the CSWU forums, thank you.))

--------------------

I am not a droid

All times are CT
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05