my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Role Playing   » Empire and New Republic   » Back into the fire. (Page 4)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Printable Version
Author Topic: Back into the fire.
Shawn Petrolu

Trustworthy Jedi Knight

Member # 154

posted 04-27-2011 06:48 PM     Profile for Shawn Petrolu   Author's Homepage   Email Shawn Petrolu     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Shawn's face remained for the most part calm and cool, but there was a flash of something, a memory perhaps, lurking in his eyes.

So Thoran had been on Tatooine. And just maybe he'd seen some of those damned white spiders that attacked Lord Aelvedaar and Galen, maybe?

"I wouldn't think you've lost your mind, if that's what you're asking," he then replied, at first being somewhat vague.
After all, those white spiders did something or other to Galen and Lord Aelvedaar. Soemthing that he was unable to heal via his quite capable healing gifts. And now here was Thoran, speaking of them...

...Thoran who had been missing for quite some time, and who had a proclivity for never being quite specific as to what his true intentions really were.

"What about white spiders?"

--------------------

Please shoot me, I'm surrounded by idiots.

Posts: 553 | From: See Mara1Jade | Registered: Mar 2002  |  Logged: 108.71.141.62
Sorben Tarnus

Former Top-Dog Bounty Hunter, Now 3rd-In-Charge of the Galaxy

Member # 44

posted 12-16-2011 01:15 PM     Profile for Sorben Tarnus   Author's Homepage   Email Sorben Tarnus     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I nodded slightly at Kani's words, even though part of me was still lost in past images of my mentor.

So... he was not another Hunter who had managed somehow to appropriate Mandalorian armor, I thought to myself. He was Mandalorian.

This I suddenly knew to the very core of my being. Not simply because of the armor, or of how he wore it. But rather, of how it had felt when I first put it on. How deeply important that armor was to me, more so that up to this very moment I hadn't realized exactly to what depth of meaning it held.

A glimmer of pure anger flashed through me, anger at the mysterious race who had not only destroyed my ships...

They had taken my armor. And I wanted it back.

I jerked my focus back to Kani, who was sitting very quiet, somehow vulnerable. The realization that we were two alike struck me then: she was angry over the death of her Mother, the apparent deception of the Empire concerning her grandfather, while I was angry at the Sith for the way they had attempted to divest me of my past. But through my anger, another tiny chisel widened that even tinier schism that had cracked open mere moments before, allowing me sudden opportunity to peer inside to discover:

I did not like being who I was. I had hidden behind that armor, misusing it, dishonoring it, and now with it's loss was discovering that what was left behind wasn't someone I would under any circumstances give a moment's time to. How had it all come to this? How had I come to this?

Other images flashed: of Actar, of his steadily tightening velvet-gloved grip, of his ability to stealthily manipulate all those who opposed him as cleverly as did Palpatine of Old. And how, exactly?

By giving his opponents everything they wanted... and then at the appropriate time yanking it all away.

A tremor thrilled through me, and momentarily I lost sight of Kani, lost track of our conversation. Once again I could clearly see Galen standing before me, her chin raised in defiance as with glare and that obstinate braking ability she had she would at this time or that holler about those niggling gut feelings she would get.

Like those I used to get.

Like the one now screaming within me, screaming for all it was worth. Telling me of the prize, the elusive carrot: the privilege of being put into power, with but two others above me in the entire New Empire.

Why had this happened? What had I done to deserve this? Was it the assassination of Galen and Darra? I knew that had been a failure; Actar should be aware of it as well. Yet still I found myself the incongruous Third in Command of Imperial Forces.

Why? To what end? Of what possible use could I be to Actar? Why would he want a bounty hunter?

A sudden flash of inspiration.

Was it a connection to two worlds very dangerous to the Empire? The Bounty Hunter's Guild World, and Mandalore? Did he think I had some connection with the Mandalorians that he could use against them, and was biding his time until it was right for him to approach me with this, a time when he felt my loyalties had finally and one hundred percent bonded themselves to him and the Empire?

Could this speculated desire to find and destroy Mandalore have anything to do with Imperial deception with Kani, and maybe whatever had happened to her mother as well?

Was my own rage entirely misdirected?

I paused, turning inward, and digging deep. The rising sense of urgency suddenly diminished, and the image of Galen quieted to cross her arms. I knew; knew to my soul, that I was right.

I was right.

Funny thing, so major a paradigm shift. And the fact it had happened so quietly one could hear a proverbial pin drop.

I sniffed, more to break the lengthening silence I found myself in upon returning from equally lengthy introspection. But there before me, still sitting quietly in her seat, Kani seemed to be waiting for an answer.

I wanted to leap to my feet, to rage against Actar, against my being so easily deceived, so utterly at odds with my own perceived character. I wanted to grasp the controls of this ship, and set course to Mandalore, bringing Kani to her people and there possibly begin finding a means to nip Actar's plans, whatever the hell they were, in the bud.

I paused again, however, as another realization hit me.

What better position to be in than the one I owned, as Third in Command? And though every conclusion I had so rapidly come to was based on nothing more tangible than speculation, I knew in my gut I was right.

Beware the lurking nek, Admiral. For it is quietly growing to rancor proportions...

Now I leaned forward, pinned my baby blues directly upon my lieutenant's own pair.

"We'll find out why you were told your Grandfather was dead, Kani," I assured her, nodding again only this time for emphasis. "And I'll find out what happened to your mother.

"That's a promise you can take to the bank."

[ 12-16-2011 03:53 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Sorben Tarnus ]

--------------------

I am not a droid

Posts: 380 | From: | Registered: Aug 2000  |  Logged: 75.105.32.53
Shawn Petrolu

Trustworthy Jedi Knight

Member # 154

posted 12-16-2011 07:00 PM     Profile for Shawn Petrolu   Author's Homepage   Email Shawn Petrolu     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thoran remained annoyingly silent for an intolerable amount of time, even by Jedi standards. At length Shawn sighed and he leaned in, his greeny-blue eyes piercing Thoran's.

"Ok, so I know something about white spiders."

He paused, his looking only intensifying more. "And I've seen them in action and know what they can do."

He quieted again, the look in his eyes growing even more intense as they remained pinned on Thoran.

"Why do you ask?"

[ 12-16-2011 07:01 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Shawn Petrolu ]

--------------------

Posts: 553 | From: See Mara1Jade | Registered: Mar 2002  |  Logged: 108.71.141.62
Kani Jetiis'ad

Member # 944

posted 12-24-2011 02:25 AM     Profile for Kani Jetiis'ad   Author's Homepage   Email Kani Jetiis'ad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Even behind her armor Kani could do little to hide her surprise at Sorben’s promise. She was skilled enough in human body language to detect the subtle shift in his mannerisms. Differentiating that his promise was not made from superior officer to lower officer, but of one person to another. Its sudden nature took Kani aback, as to why now Sorben now took a vested interest in her.

How am I supposed to answer that, these is no falsehood in that statement. Just a straightforward and honorable gesture like any Mandalorian would make.

Mando'ad draar digur General,” Kani responded. When Sorben looked on confused at her answer she remembered that even though he acted like a Mandalorian he did not understand everything it means to be one. So before he could question what she just said Kani provided a translation. “A Mandalorian never forgets. Mandalorian code of honor demands we keep our vows and repay them in kind. Just like…”

Kani’s mind wandered off for a when she remembered her own debt to the Empire.

“Just like when the Empire after they captured me after I tried to assassinate Actar,” Kani continued. “They showed me the truth about the Jedi rebellion and how they were responsible for the corruption of my people and my mothers death. Then they let me go to take my revenge without punishment for my attempted assassination from before. And now in repayment of that kindness I use my skills as a Mandalorian Super Commando for the Empire.”

Though Kani whole heartily agreed with the words she spoke they still felt hollow after all these years with the Empire. The evidence all pointed towards the Empires explanation and her Grandfathers recent resurgence into the galaxy would fit in lines with some sort of Jedi trickery, that is what the Imperial Officer inside of Kani was telling her. However the Mandalorian inside of her told a different story, one of deception and manipulation of those who took advantage of her guilt and anger turning her into their ideal weapon. She didn’t know which side to trust; Kani only knew that when she met her Grandfather she would know who to side. And on that day someone will pay.

Posts: 101 | From: | Registered: Sep 2009  |  Logged: 208.67.203.169
Sorben Tarnus

Member # 44

posted 01-26-2012 11:34 PM     Profile for Sorben Tarnus   Author's Homepage   Email Sorben Tarnus     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I nodded, listening carefully to what the young lieutenant was avowing. And perhaps listening a bit more carefully than she could possibly suspect...

Somehow her words, as neatly stated as they were, seemed to be...

Hollow.

A slight shiver ran up my spine at the recognition. What the hell was it Galen used to say?

A gaggle of geese was marching up and down her back...

Well, that gaggle was most definitely there, complete with their accessory gooseflesh which suddenly erupted on my arms. While wishing like hell I had my Mandalorian armor on my body again, I was thankful for the long sleeved uniform I was now wearing.

Gooseflesh can be read as a sign of weakness. But... would she read it as such?

And why did it bother me what she thought?

I jerked my focus back from this little bit of off-course wandering, concentrated it fully upon her again. Finally decided to let drop a tiny bit of... what? Knowledge?

Or gut instinct...

"Are you certain?" I asked, not specifying as to which statement of hers I was responding, satisfied that she would know deep within her own heart... and soul.

And now, as they say, the tale would be told...

--------------------

I am not a droid

Posts: 380 | From: | Registered: Aug 2000  |  Logged: 75.107.96.58
Kani Jetiis'ad

Member # 944

posted 01-27-2012 01:45 PM     Profile for Kani Jetiis'ad   Author's Homepage   Email Kani Jetiis'ad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kani sat in silence, letting Sorben’s statement hang in the air while she thought of how to respond. She realized that he must have seen her indecisiveness from how her mannerisms did not agree with what she had just said.

But how do I know what is true both feel real to me and yet one has to be a lie.

“I don’t know anymore General,” answered Kani. “I know in my heart what my mother has told me is true, about the Jedi, and my Grandfather. Also the evidence the Empire has shown me contradicts this and is both overwhelming and verified by outside sources. I was willing to consider that the Jedi did betray my mother and their own principals in a grab for power; both of these statements could in fact exist simultaneously and still be true.”

Kani reached behind her to the back of her neck to release the seal on her helmet. There was a brief sound of air escaping as Kani broke her armors environmental seal before she removed her helmet. She felt more vulnerable without her helmet because that was her real face as far as Mandalorians were concerned. But to many of those from outside of that community the helmet invoked the images of a droid and not the living person underneath. Her gesture of removing it was to show Sorben on a personal level how conflicted she was on this issue, even to the effect that she was willing to step outside of her armor to show non-Mandalorians how this was affecting her.

Ba’buir is not dead though,” continued Kani. “So now those two statements lie in conflict with one another. Either Buir was wrong, which I cannot accept, or the Empire lied to me. Which seems equally unfeasible for it to go to such lengths to have one Mandalorian Super Commando on its side, even one who can fight on equal footing with a Jedi. So I default with I don’t know what to think without more evidence. The more important question if I may ask it General is if you had the had the knowledge of what actually happened and it ran contrary to what the Empire has told me, knowing what my current mental state, and what I was capable of would you actually tell me the truth. Then if situations were reverse and you were in my place, knowing full well you were equally exploited as I was if the allegations were true could you honestly say would be calm and not seek vengeance against those who hurt you that deeply.

Posts: 101 | From: | Registered: Sep 2009  |  Logged: 209.170.255.14
Sorben Tarnus

Member # 44

posted 02-02-2012 12:20 PM     Profile for Sorben Tarnus   Author's Homepage   Email Sorben Tarnus     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I gave Kani a direct look, staring long and deeply into her eyes. They were filled with exactly what I expected to see: honor tainted with inner conflict, honesty with a whisper of betrayal. But shining out overall was...

Vulnerability. As if she was just waiting to hear what I'd say, as if somehow my words might in turn produce some kind of paradigm shift in her world as the one I had experienced mere moments before, and bring her security and a sense of inner peace.

I pondered her question carefully, keeping my gaze pinned on her's, letting time crawl past until I finally felt I'd seen inside her down to her very heart.

And knew the damning words I was about to speak aloud would never be given voice by her lips. Her honor as a Mandalorian precluded that.

"First of all, Kani, I will never lie to you," I began carefully, hesitating the slightest bit, reading her body language. It remained steady; taking a deep breath I leaned forward and lowered my voice to the merest of whispers.

"I would not trust anything the Empire would ever state to me, no matter what supposed proof they have to justify their statements. And I urge you to do the same."

Again I paused, this time in light of her suddenly widening eyes. Deep within their glistening depths I could clearly read something approaching confusion, if not downright shock; oh, how I wanted to press on, to not let her wonder longer, to be as forthright with her as she just had been with me.

How I wanted to continue on with the final, blatant statement, "I no longer consider myself part of the Empire, yet I wear its uniform..."

But wisdom overruled this. I felt I could, but I needed to see how she reacted to my former little bombshell. Straightening up now, I sat silent in my seat, waiting to see how she would react, judging every slightest bit of body language, ready to put her down should push come to shove, and she fall back into Imperial mode.

But somehow I didn't think that was going to happen.

[ 02-02-2012 01:25 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Sorben Tarnus ]

--------------------

I am not a droid

Posts: 380 | From: | Registered: Aug 2000  |  Logged: 75.105.32.52
Kani Jetiis'ad

Member # 944

posted 02-03-2012 12:03 AM     Profile for Kani Jetiis'ad   Author's Homepage   Email Kani Jetiis'ad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kani was taken aback by what Tarnus had just said about the empire and was left unsure how to process it. Here was one of the leaders of the empire telling her how corrupt it was and it was not to be trusted. Had the current events unfolded differently she would have felt obligated to report such a potentially treasonous statement to Tarnus’s superiors. But as it stood Kani was coming to believe that the empire did use her and betray her trust.

I should have known better, as one of their commando’s I know full well that the empire has done plenty of things that it denies to its citizens and even its military. How could I make such a stupid mistake?

Ni shab’rud’ni,” muttered Kani. “Ke nu’jurkadir sha mando’ade.”

Kani was seething; she accepted her Mother had died when she was 8. She knew Mandalorians died in battle all the time her mother was no exception, she had bore the empire itself no ill will only to avenge her mother’s death so she could rest in the manda.

This is different, even if the Jedi were responsible for my mother’s death and not the empire they used my memory of her against me for that alone the empire must pay.

Kani pushed back the urge to lash out, that would not suit her objectives at this time. For now she needed to play the calm commando for the empire to see, and to let Tarnus know she agreed with his sentiments.

“Funny thing about lightsabers General,” said Kani. “The blade is pure energy so it can cut in any direction. So if someone was to misuse it, they would be liable to have their own arm cut off.”

Thoran

Really Nice Member

Member # 493

posted 02-06-2012 08:41 PM     Profile for Thoran   Author's Homepage   Email Thoran     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thoran sighed, his breath blowing out far from him.

“Well,” he said. “It’s like this.”

He thought about what he was going to tell Shawn, and how he would in fact tell him. This was delicate information, not to be doled out like candy to babies. In fact, he wasn’t really sure what he was going to say in the first place.

“Or maybe it’s like this,” he said. “All right, I don’t really know what it means. I went through a lot the past few weeks, and I could be going through some extreme personal moments. But, I saw the white spiders on Tattooine. They shouldn’t have been there, but there they were. And they were crawling around like little thieves, getting onto people and doing who knows what to them. I think we’re going to have an unpleasant time if we go back there.”

Thoran looked around, suddenly nervous. When satisfied that nobody had mysteriously joined them, he turned back to Shawn.

“I need Tarnus to not be attacking the Sith,” he said. “Things are at play here beyond our own power of comprehension, things involving the Darker Realms, and probably even beyond that. I know that you and your human friends think I am an idiot, and maybe I am, but I’m older than you can possibly conceive and I know things that would turn your nights into sleepless fits of paranoia. I’ll try to be clearer when I can sort things out, but right now we need the Sith and the Empire to be on good terms and be ready to come to other’s aid.”

--------------------

The ancients are not the oldest, nor the wisest.

Posts: 265 | From: Urbandale, IA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  Logged: 173.29.86.208
Sorben Tarnus

Member # 44

posted 02-07-2012 01:28 AM     Profile for Sorben Tarnus   Author's Homepage   Email Sorben Tarnus     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Acceptance tried its damnedest to curl my lip, but I wouldn't let it.

Not quite yet...

Instead I merely shifted in my seat, gave Kani the barest of nods. Then, keeping my thoughts to myself, I rose to my feet, strode about the room, cutting off vid-cams and other snooping devices as I meandered hither and yon. When all were satisfactorily discombobulated, I returned to my chair and sat down with an admitted sigh of relief.

Nanoseconds later, I leaned forward, and cut Kani my steeliest look.

"Now the time has come to be forthright," I stated, all the while searching deep within her own enigmatic gaze.

It seemed as if there was something there, something operating on the same level as--

I didn't let that thought seek fruition. I merely sat quietly, waiting to hear how she might respond...

...before I spoke anything further.

If.

[ 02-07-2012 01:30 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Sorben Tarnus ]

--------------------

I am not a droid

Kani Jetiis'ad

Member # 944

posted 02-07-2012 12:27 PM     Profile for Kani Jetiis'ad   Author's Homepage   Email Kani Jetiis'ad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kani knew it was now or never, she might not have this chance again to say what she truly meant or wanted. Either she was the Imperial Officer or the Mandalorian Warrior.

“Consequences be damned,” said Kani. “Even if everything the Empire said is true they are still using me to their own end. These Aruetii’se will keep on spilling Mando’ad blood to fight their wars and do their dirty work. Only to discard us when they see fit.”

Kani kept her emotions close to the surface; it was how she was trained to survive. Her mother taught her just like her Grandfather taught her Mother in turn. Emotions were not to be suppressed or denied as in traditional Jedi philosophy, but rather embraced to fuel one’s drive. So it was no surprise that her rage was almost to a boiling point.

Not now, later… right now without an outlet I can’t surrender to that anger and pain.

Reaching back to those memories of her younger days with her Mother, to a time when her Mother thought she would at least need to know how to control her own Force powers. Kani used a Jedi relaxation exercise and within moments came down to an almost statuesque demeanor.

“Whatever debt I had with the Empire,” stated Kani. “Even if I had one I have more than paid in full. The price they ask now goes against everything it means to be Mando’ad, and jeopardizes my soul with the Manda. I’ve been away from my people for so long that I almost forgot what the heart of a Mando’ad looked like, you and my Grandfather forced me to confront that.”

It felt as if a massive weight fell from Kani’s shoulders, or more of a veil being removed from her eyes, but whatever the cause she felt a glimmer of internal peace she had not felt since her mother’s death.

“For now Ner Vod, said Kani. “I will play my part until the opportunity presents itself to return to my people. If you have think that is a statement of disloyalty then let me clarify it is. You may have me killed for this but at least I will die as a Mandalorian.”

Sorben Tarnus

Member # 44

posted 02-23-2012 11:22 AM     Profile for Sorben Tarnus   Author's Homepage   Email Sorben Tarnus     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I studied the young Mandalorian a long while, peering deeply into her eyes. For no matter how suddenly calm and self-possessed she had become, it was, as they say, the eyes that have it, that reveal the truth of a person, that are windows into an individual's very soul.

Her pain runs deep.

The thought, flicking from nowhere almost in complete non sequiteur, startled me. Not so much as what it was revealing about her...

As much as me.

I drew in a deep breath, let the slightest of smiles curl my lip. Before me she stood, the epitome of honor, ready to die in defense of that. I never thought Mandalorian armor looked as good; it fit her like a glove, paralleling her principles even more so than it did her battle-ready body.

A nudge of guilt slithered through me again.

I hope one day I can retrieve my own, and bring back the honor my own Teacher had bestowed upon it.

Pushing that aside as well as I could, I leaned forward the tiniest bit. Even though I thought I had disengaged all the bugging devices, even I couldn't be completely certain that we weren't yet being watched. I let a few moment more trickle past, waiting to see if anyone would be bursting in at the treasonous words Kani had just spoken, holding onto my authority like the false cloak that it truly was.

Nothing happened. No one came.

I let the breath I had drawn escape in a soft hiss. Pinned her with my eyes. Then--

"We are at an understanding," was all I said.

I rose then, meandered to a sideboard, poured a cuppa caf. How I wished it was my better friend, Walkn'Fall, but now was certainly not the time. Turning round, I took a sip, looked at Kani over the rim of the cup.

"Do you understand the basic rules of Sabaac, Kani?" I finally asked.

--------------------

I am not a droid

Posts: 380 | From: | Registered: Aug 2000  |  Logged: 75.104.160.36
Kani Jetiis'ad

Member # 944

posted 02-24-2012 12:42 PM     Profile for Kani Jetiis'ad   Author's Homepage   Email Kani Jetiis'ad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kani smiled and let a little laugh.

I defied the Empire and got away with it, damn that feels good.

Instead of returning her helmet to its proper place Kani left it off as a show of her acceptance of Sorben in her personal life. She reclined back in her chair kicking her feet up in a manner more appropriate of an old mercenary sitting at a bar exchanging old war stories than a well disciplined Imperial Officer.

“Two things about Mandalorians Ner Vod,” Kani boasted. “First one being we love to fight, drink, and party. Second thing being with the way we Mandos play sabaac, it involves all three.”

Kani thought she saw the emergence of a smile behind the cup of caf coming from Sorben from that amusing anecdote of Mandalorian culture.

“Yes I know how to play Sabaac,” Kani continued. “After my Mom died my Uncle Bes'in was the one who raised me. He taught me how to play Sabaac, and build a landmine, and how to adjust for the effects of gravity on a verpine sniper rifle at ranges over three kilometers. I think the only thing he didn't teach me was how to drink a Gamorrean under the table, my aunties had to teach me that.”

Shawn Petrolu

Trustworthy Jedi Knight

Member # 154

posted 03-17-2012 10:09 AM     Profile for Shawn Petrolu   Author's Homepage   Email Shawn Petrolu     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Shawn listened intently as Thoran spoke, his face completely unreadable. For a long moment after Thoran finished speaking--perhaps longer than Thoran would have liked--Shawn said nothing.

Then, "I know more of this than you seem to think, and agree with you in more ways than you believe," he replied a bit cryptically. "I have been on Khar Delba, with the Sith, and have come from there after having given my word to Aeylmaar that I would let my kind know that the Sith are not who or what the majority of this Universe believes."

He paused, pursing his lips. "I am going to keep my word on that. Especially since I too know there are things at play which are of far greater importance and danger to us all."

Quieting again, Shawn thought back to when he too had seen the white spiders. "I know of these white spiders, and have once tried to heal someone who was bitten by them."

He trailed, actually frowning for a moment, then continued. "All I can say is whatever they did nothing I could do would help, which is saying something considering Healing is my gift."

As well as your sister's, right?

Shawn shook his head. "And on top of all of this, Erik and Shayla's son who was being kept on Khar Delba has died. My brother-in-law departed in anger to do Fates know what and hasn't been heard from since, and my sister..."

Shawn paused, shaking his head, for the first time allowing any hint of grief to cross his facial features. Instinctively, he reached out to that blood-link he shared with her, something of a protective older brother surfacing in him...

...only to come up blank. "...I have no idea where she is or what she is doing...

...and can't even sense if she is alive or not. Granted, that may all be meaningless in the grand spectrum of things, for there is far more at stake with what you and I both know..."

He quieted a final time. "But I have a really bad feeling, to use an entirely overused phrase, that it isn't."

[ 03-17-2012 10:13 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Shawn Petrolu ]

--------------------

Sorben Tarnus

Member # 44

posted 07-30-2012 07:01 PM     Profile for Sorben Tarnus   Author's Homepage   Email Sorben Tarnus     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I let the curl of a smile broaden into a crooked grin.

"Then I'd say it's time to plan a little game strategy," I said, taking another drink. The hot liquid flowed down my throat, but I neither did I really feel or taste it.

"And keep your sabaac face on, Lieutenant."

I then set down my cup and approached my computer console. A few deft touches, and I discovered our ETA upon Coruscant to be mere hours distant. Nodding, I turned from the monitor, blackened it, and set my personal computer to computing pi as far as it could; a favorite ploy of mine when I wanted it to remain busy, and reply in generalities to any incoming messages. Even, in this case, if said messages would turn out to be marching orders, although I seriously doubted anything of this sort would happen.

At least not until I'd met with Actar, and who knew if he was even on Coruscant at the moment or not. More than likely not, which would give me the time I needed to make some very careful, discreet inquiries of my own...

--------------------

I am not a droid

Posts: 380 | From: | Registered: Aug 2000  |  Logged: 75.104.160.36
Kani Jetiis'ad

Member # 944

posted 08-01-2012 02:30 AM     Profile for Kani Jetiis'ad   Author's Homepage   Email Kani Jetiis'ad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kani thought about how she was to proceed, making a statement to undermine the Empire was one thing being able to do so was another matter entirely.

“So what do you suggest General?” asked Kani.

Funny how even when we are alone and exchange our mutual statement of disloyalty we still address each other by rank. Well I at least need to maintain this fascade until I know who to strike and if the General can help me so be it who knows he might prove himself to be a Mando after all.

“I doubt very much the Empire is going to let me walk away given what I know,” said Kani. “And I estimate you are in the same boat as well. Its simple what I want the truth and my revenge, after that I don't care what happens. So the greater question is what do you want and how can we make both of our plans a reality.”

Sorben Tarnus

Member # 44

posted 08-01-2012 11:53 AM     Profile for Sorben Tarnus   Author's Homepage   Email Sorben Tarnus     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I let the grin broaden a bit further.

"I am the Empire, Lieutenant," I replied, now rising from my chair to stride about the room a little. It always seems to help me think clearly, getting the kinks out in the process.

At length I turn back to her.

"When the need comes, would your people accept me, help me?" I asked her suddenly, accentuating the pronoun that she understand it wasn't "me" the Empire to which I referred, knowing that a wealth of information would be carried upon the backs of whatever reply she might possibly make: the fact that Mandalore does yet exist, in greater numbers than the Empire dreamed, the possibility that they could be persuaded into coming out from beneath the isolationism they imposed upon themselves.

Where they have hidden themselves...

I let my eyes pierce her own, trying to reach into the deepest corners of her heart.

Trust me.

--------------------

I am not a droid

Posts: 380 | From: | Registered: Aug 2000  |  Logged: 99.196.64.57
Kani Jetiis'ad

Member # 944

posted 08-01-2012 12:51 PM     Profile for Kani Jetiis'ad   Author's Homepage   Email Kani Jetiis'ad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kani thought about his question, would her people be willing to lend aid to Sorben. The answer came to her quickly but it was not a simple one.

“The short answer is no,” replied Kani. “When it comes to the Empire our wounds run deep, as a people we still live with the scars of slavery from the times of Palpatine. It was only because of Mandalore Fett and the war against the Vong that we were able to rebuild our civilization. It would take a new Mandalore to convince them, the current one is a puppet and it would not surprise anyone in the least if he were to suddenly die.”

Kani could tell that was not the answer Sorben wanted to hear, but it was difficult to explain the customs and traditions to an outsider, let alone in a language such as basic that lacked the necessary vocabulary to express its ideas.

“It would take a new Mandalore,” continued Kani. “A renowned warrior among her people, who commands unilateral respect of the Chieftains, and the younger generations. There are only two I know of that fit that description; my grandfather who has no desire to become the Mandalore, and my uncle Bes’in who hates what Palpatine did to our people by raising a clone army. It would take one of them or someone they endorsed as Mandalore to sway the people to follow you.”

Sorben Tarnus

Member # 44

posted 08-01-2012 01:19 PM     Profile for Sorben Tarnus   Author's Homepage   Email Sorben Tarnus     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I pondered this, in the doing letting my body language gradually slip from the stiff facade of being Third-in-Command to the old Top Dog bounty hunter I had once been.

No. Still am. And always will be.

The coming back was comfortable, like pulling on a pair of old shoes. I suddenly found myself wishing like hell I still had my armor, but realized that armor does not the man make.

As they say on Kani's world, it is the man that makes the armor. And this one's coming home.

I brought my restless pacing to a sudden halt. Realized further that the tiny germs of possibilities that were running through my head needed to be passed along. She had lowered something of her blast shields; time I let mine down a little more myself.

"We're going to take the Empire down, Kani," I said softly, her name slipping from my lips as natural as water going over a fall. "It's not going to be easy; I know your people are fierce fighters, and honorable ones--"

Hell, my own Teacher was Mandalorian!

"--but even they don't have what it takes to make the Empire crumble. But the iron fist hiding inside the velvet glove they show to the Galaxy has to be crushed, somehow. While it's good on one hand that there may be a chance your people can help, I think the most realistic means of instigating the Empire's demise is from within."

I paused a little, wondering just how in all the known universe I was going to manage that one. Perhaps some discreet words dropped to the admirals--? I shook my head, and went on.

"I will find out who was in charge of the fiasco regarding your mother. Whoever was at fault will pay, and--" I raised a hand to dissuade the ire I saw rising suddenly in her eyes. "--I will make certain said person or persons will be duly held, their eventual fate to be in your hands. That I promise you. Meanwhile, do you think we could get your grandfather to join with us, to do what needs to be done to persuade your people that what I'm saying is the truth, that no harm will come to them and that I do need them if we're ever going to get rid of Actar, Swatzi, and whoever else would yet follow after them."

I blinked a little, not needing to name anyone further. Swatzi I knew was loyal to Actar in the extreme, but as for the other admirals and commanders, I wasn't so sure. Although after his initial bloody coup Actar had been loud in proclaiming a non-militaristic presence in the affairs of the galactic worlds, if only by maintaining a steady absence from them, I knew many bore a deep grudge against him. Hard to admire the man who killed so many that he could reach his current "happy place," not only during but after the coup as well. A well placed word here, a discreet inquiry there...

All we needed was time. And the promise of back-up by those able to provide it, should things go to hell in a hand-basket along the way.

I wondered about the Sith, but had yet to really trust them after what they'd done to my Fleet. For although it would appear that they and I were now somehow on the same page, I didn't think I'd have a good opportunity to convince them of this. Showing up with goodwill and begging for their help would probably give them plenty of information they needed to bolster the path they were already treading upon considering the Empire, but I wanted to be treading it right along with them. I'd already had a taste of their dungeons, and wasn't in any great hurry to get back into one.

So... time. Time was what we needed, and as long as I continued to play Daddy to the Galaxy, time was something I had plenty of. Not to mention time I could dole out to others, like a certain aide of mine that she could go out upon a very special, if highly secretive, mission.

[ 08-01-2012 01:24 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Sorben Tarnus ]

--------------------

I am not a droid

Posts: 380 | From: | Registered: Aug 2000  |  Logged: 75.105.32.39
Kani Jetiis'ad

Member # 944

posted 08-01-2012 10:34 PM     Profile for Kani Jetiis'ad   Author's Homepage   Email Kani Jetiis'ad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There was the question,would her grandfather help them crush the Empire.

Ba'buir's loyalty is unquestionable when it comes to our people, it is his other loyalty that is the problem.

“He might,” she said. “Its complicated because he is not only a Mandalorian Warrior, but quite possible the last living Jedi Master the destruction of the Jedi might make him believe this is some sort of trap. And to be perfectly honest Mandalore while many of us hate the Empire are convinced it is not exactly a threat to us. We have long ago abandoned our idea of galactic conquest and largely leave the rest of the galaxy alone only taking mercenary work as needed. In our history only one man has ever conquered our homeworld, The Revanchist or as most people know him Darth Revan. In more recent memory when the vong attacked us and invaded our system with the full force of their Army we managed to drive them back and for every warrior we lost we made sure they lost a thousand in turn.”

Kani reached into one of pouches on her belt and pulled out a metal cup and what looked like a bag of sticks. Using them she made herself a traditional Mandalorian drink both designed to be field expedient and provide quick substance when needed. While it may seem more prudent to take advantage of Sorben's well stocked shuttle Kani both preferred it and the time it took to prepare gave Sorben a chance to process what she said before she continued.

“We Mandalorians are a proud people very much set in our ways,” she continued. “What you ask is possible, but it is not a simple matter. Such a request is to be made in person both to my grandfather and to the Chieftains. I can arrange the meeting but if you do not speak to them in person, they will take it as a sign of cowardice. It will be difficult, but you seem to have impressed my grandfather or at least this Galen you know has relieved a favorable report. For him offer you a set of our armor shows great respect on his part and should be returned in kind.”

Sorben Tarnus

Member # 44

posted 08-01-2012 11:48 PM     Profile for Sorben Tarnus   Author's Homepage   Email Sorben Tarnus     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So much for secret missions...

I merely nodded in turn.

"I would be honored to approach your grandfather, if you could arrange for this meeting to occur," I replied, wincing at the formality the words carried upon their backs.

"If there is anything you need to make this happen..."

I let my words trail off, and rising quickly checked the monitor. We were fast approaching Coruscant; I needed to get back into Impy mode, and the sooner the better.

But before I did...

I moved to stand before the young lieutenant, well aware of how I had treated her scant hours earlier.

How to repay that debt...

I reached out a hand, and planted it upon her shoulder.

"I trust you, Kani. And I hope you fully trust me. But now it is time to play the rancor once again."

I flashed her a brilliant smile, the last I knew I would be able to give her in godz knew how long a time from now. For even though Third in Command I was, Actar had his eyes and ears planted everywhere. If I was going to beat him, I had to maintain the posture of being "him."

No one could be given the slightest reason to suspect that anything was amiss.

--------------------

I am not a droid

Kani Jetiis'ad

Member # 944

posted 08-02-2012 12:27 AM     Profile for Kani Jetiis'ad   Author's Homepage   Email Kani Jetiis'ad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
“It's not as formal as you think it is,” said Kani. “And you would be surprised on how discreet we can be. I have my own means of contacting my grandfather, and perhaps it is better if you do not know exactly how. Remember I'm part of the stormtrooper black ops, it is perfectly normal for me to drop completely off the grid. Just be ready for the meeting to happen at any time.”

There is much the Empire missed when it came to the destruction of the Jedi, many of its safe houses and escape routes it hid in such an event were missed only known to a select few masters. Lucky Ba'buir knows of these and so did Buir... good thing she showed me just incase.

Kani returned a smile Sorben, then donned her helmet sealing her back into her little world. She offered a slight nod acknowledging the role she must yet again assume her role.

“General,” acknowledged Kani.

Shawn Petrolu

Trustworthy Jedi Knight

Member # 154

posted 08-02-2012 12:25 PM     Profile for Shawn Petrolu   Author's Homepage   Email Shawn Petrolu     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jedi or not, Shawn was pretty much over waiting for Thoran to add anything more to the conversation. And who knew, maybe the Sith simply didn't trust him because he was a Jedi and a human...

...but Shawn didn't really sense such. It was more like Thoran just didn't trust anyone at all.

"You know, sooner or later you are going to have to trust someone with what you know," Shawn then spoke up simply. "No one is an island."

He paused, casting a greeny-blue gaze Thoran's way. "We should be arriving at Coruscant shortly," Shawn continued with. "I need to do some meditation and collect my thoughts for whatever might be ahead," he added. "The controls are on autopilot, so you may do the same if you like...

...but I think I am going to retire for now."

Not waiting for Thoran to say anything further then, Shawn got to his feet, pausing a moment to send Thoran one final, unreadable look, and departed the cabin altogether.

--------------------

Sorben Tarnus

Member # 44

posted 08-02-2012 12:53 PM     Profile for Sorben Tarnus   Author's Homepage   Email Sorben Tarnus     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That moment of quiet understanding and damnable acceptance stretched forward, until with a slight nod to Kani I reached out and told the computer that enough was enough, thank you very much. Its processors warbled with apparent gratitude, and then the string of random numbers that had been taking up the little monitor filled with words.

It seemed we were coming in to Coruscant.

Straightening out any imaginary wrinkles my clothing may be holding -- I had to present my best, even in the simple jumpsuit afforded me by our base on Tattooine -- I headed forward. The pilot turned in his seat, and let a slight smile flash from his eyes, before returning to the duty of landing this little courier on one of the myriad Imperial landing platforms in VLO near our military HQ.

I closed my eyes, feeling a little bit of tension dissipate. It would have been just one more little messy item to deal with if I had been forced to kill the man at this point; by that simple and barely perceptible gesture I knew he was one of the myriad holding a grudge against Actar and Swatzi.

I dared to reach out, and clamp an extremely un-Lt.-General-like hand upon his shoulder.

"Take us home, Mister," I ordered, then seated myself for the rest of the ride. Behind me I heard the slight rustle of clothing as Kani likewise seated herself. We could have remained standing... but I had a feeling that once we hit dirt we'd be on our feet for quite a long period of time. Might as well take a load off for the duration of landing.

It proceeded smoothly enough. Our pilot's console burst into vibrant life as orders were passed along the ether: some that he could listen in on, assuring him that other ships had been told to heave too, or hold their own orbits, or even back off that we could slip through the morass which was Coruscant airspace with as little effort as possible. The last such order was for us, giving us our landing vector, which we homed in on like a Dagoban bat.

Not too much time passed, when a gentle thump informed me we had landed. I rose, tugged my clothing again, and moved toward the hatch. I could almost feel the electricity passing between Kani and myself as I passed her; holding my head staunchly upright, eyes forward, I merely treated her as would any upper echelon officer treat an underling.

The hatch oiled open, I stepped foot upon the gangway...

...only to be suddenly enclosed by overly-armed men in their gleaming white armor.

"You will come with us, Lt. General," one with a brilliant red shoulder patch allowed, his helmet dipping with... was it respect, or something else?

I couldn't be certain.

My hackles rose as my mind went into overdrive, wondering if the pilot had managed to fool me after all. I then relaxed the slightest; nope, that couldn't be it. Only I was being surrounded; they had left Kani out of the square of soldiers.

I turned my head, to see her standing in the hatch of the courier, every inch of her body the perfectly obedient young officer.

Could it have been her...?

I shot her a glance, a heavy look that displayed nothing but surprise laced with a bit of trepidation.

Curse that damned helmet; I can't read her eyes...!

Then I thought I saw that helmet dip, just the slightest little bit. Behind her came the pilot, who after standing down the little courier was waiting to disembark. He placed a hand on Kani's shoulder, let it sit there the tiniest of moments, then proceeded to move it as though brushing off a speck of lint.

Two ways to read that, Sorben ol' boy...

The thought pushed through my mind, and was forced away as I turned to my "entourage" and nodded to them, keeping my own bearing as militarily upright as I could.

Thus it was that I was delivered to another little ship that was standing by upon the next landing circle. Moments later, and we were off.

Dear Khaandon, as Galen was often wont to say. I can only hope that I judged Kani correctly, and that she would have it within her to do whatever it is that had to be done.

Whether that was keeping somehow to our furtive, if budding, and very very traitorous plans, finding what in Hell's Seven Circles was happening to me, or simply continuing on with her own little militaristic life.

I was betting on two out of three.

((OOC: Follow Sorben Tarnus into Root, Root, Root for the Home Team, in the "Empire/New Republic" forums, thank you.))

[ 08-02-2012 01:09 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Sorben Tarnus ]

--------------------

I am not a droid

Posts: 380 | From: | Registered: Aug 2000  |  Logged: 75.105.32.39
Shawn Petrolu

Trustworthy Jedi Knight

Member # 154

posted 08-02-2012 03:44 PM     Profile for Shawn Petrolu   Author's Homepage   Email Shawn Petrolu     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Shawn was able to meditate for some time, however the experience hadn't necessarily been relaxing. Something was off, gnawing at the corners of his senses. But he had no idea what, or when, this something was and when it would surface. So he settled upon remaining as he was, eyes and ears opened and his mind and senses on the alert. And while he most certainly was not the pilot his sister was, Shawn knew their approach to Coruscant must be nearing.

He wasn't far off, for when he returned to the cabin and resumed controlling the ship, only ten standard minutes passed before proximity indicators came alive. In another few minutes, the ship reverted, and they were greeted with a very intricately woven blockade.
Oh, yikes, Shawn couldn't help but think. Could really use Shayla's skills here...

Flipping on the comm unit, Shawn requested a landing vector, and waited.

[ 08-02-2012 03:50 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Shawn Petrolu ]

--------------------

All times are CT
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05