my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Role Playing   » Empire and New Republic   » Back into the fire. (Page 6)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Printable Version
Author Topic: Back into the fire.
Kani Jetiis'ad

Member # 944

posted 11-28-2015 09:13 PM     Profile for Kani Jetiis'ad   Author's Homepage   Email Kani Jetiis'ad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kani's estimates in how long she would be out of commission appeared to be off. Normally the process took an average twilek the better part of a day to recover. It was only her limited Force abilities and training that allowed her to cut that down to two hours or so. So to Kani's surprise when she came to about a half an hour later she quickly realized what had transpired.

I used the meditative process of a Jedi healing trance to speed up the process, the Jedi must have helped me slip into a true Jedi healing trance.

She slowly worked herself up to a seated position seeing the look of concern on Shawn's face and his eagerness to help her if necessary.

“I'm fine now,” said Kani. “Just need something to eat, that drug kicks your metabolism into overdrive for a day and could use something with lots of protein if you don't mind Jedi. Thanks for the help with the healing trance by the way.”

Posts: 101 | From: | Registered: Sep 2009  |  Logged: 208.67.203.169
Shawn Petrolu

Trustworthy Jedi Knight

Member # 154

posted 11-29-2015 02:50 PM     Profile for Shawn Petrolu   Author's Homepage   Email Shawn Petrolu     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Shawn cocked his head, considering her. "No problem."

Then, as she had just mentioned needing food, Shawn wondered, with a sudden start when the last time was he'd even had a real meal. Heading to the kitchette he quickly realized that when she had said it was fully stocked she hadn't been kidding. Finding a sort of "party tray" of various grilled and fried meats, he warmed it up, grabbed a few- due to what Kani had just been through- non-alcoholic drinks- and headed back out to where she was sitting with them.

As she took her first pick, he turned once more to her, quirking a brow. "So now what?"

--------------------

Please shoot me, I'm surrounded by idiots.

Posts: 553 | From: See Mara1Jade | Registered: Mar 2002  |  Logged: 108.71.141.62
Kani Jetiis'ad

Member # 944

posted 11-29-2015 04:32 PM     Profile for Kani Jetiis'ad   Author's Homepage   Email Kani Jetiis'ad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kani thought about their long term plans between bites of food.

Ultimately I need to keep the Jedi alive until I can find out what is happening to the General... and help him, he and this Jedi are my key to the truth.

"Our position is secure," said Kani. "Once I am back to normal, I'll work on finding out more about the General. He can help me discover the truth about my mother, and he can help you with whatever it was you wanted."

She needed a calm mind to think rationally. Right now they were going up against the Empire on their home turf.

"Think of what we will be doing as recon," said Kani. "We need more information before we can formulate a plan of action. Above all we need to maintain our covers or we will be of no use when the time comes."

Kani knew how vague this all sounded and could see the apprehension on Shawn's face.

"Something is bother you Jedi," said Kani. "Not about the plan, or the situation, but about me. What is it, I need to know so I can work with you."

Shawn Petrolu

Trustworthy Jedi Knight

Member # 154

posted 11-30-2015 01:36 PM     Profile for Shawn Petrolu   Author's Homepage   Email Shawn Petrolu     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Shawn was impressed with how keen Kani's senses were.

"It's not you," he then responded, honestly. "It's just the entire situation."

He paused, sighing. "Actar's already killed many Jedi...

"...and I wonder who else he's killed along the way to meet his own ends. He's done some really bad stuff..."

He trailed for a moment, recalling how he had put Galen in a state of unconsciousness...

...and recalling how he was constantly after her and her daughter.

Until recently, when he had just seemed to sit back and watch...

Shawn frowned. "Regardless of what he's doing, Tarnus's arrest is more than a bit troubling." He paused, debating on exactly what to tell Kani, but feeling that perhaps now was the time so she might further understand what might be happening. "Tarnus and his ex-wife had a child with great abilities, perhaps beyond just the Force...

...and Actar has been after her since before the child was even born. He perhaps has a dark agenda of his own involving the child's powers...

...and although he hasn't been pursing her recently, I don't really believe he's forgotten or moved on."

--------------------

Posts: 553 | From: See Mara1Jade | Registered: Mar 2002  |  Logged: 108.71.141.62
Kani Jetiis'ad

Member # 944

posted 11-30-2015 07:45 PM     Profile for Kani Jetiis'ad   Author's Homepage   Email Kani Jetiis'ad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
“Actar plays the long game,” said Kani. “Everything he has done is about controlling the Force users.”

Kani didn’t know why she thought that or why she said it to Shawn. All of it was true but…

He’s a Jedi, but if what he and Ba’buir say is true than I am a tool of the Empire. It all fits with their story as much as the one told to me by the Empire.

“My former unit and this place,” Kani continued. “Are all about controlling the Jedi. We would capture those who had information about the most influential Jedi or those who were the most vocal about Actar and interrogate them to reveal more information. My role besides information gathering, abduction, and interrogations was combat. Actar’s administration has had me capture or eliminate several knights and Jedi Masters behind the scenes. The training academy they promised was all about drawing others into the open as a means to screen for those who may be compliant or who needed to be eliminated. At least that’s what I’ve been told. I was recently reassigned to Tarnus and as far as I knew that didn’t include some hidden agenda, but during that time we did contact you, my grandfather, and his apprentice who knew the General. That might have something to do with the current situation.”

She didn’t like this situation; Actar was smart like Shawn said, along with ruthless, and cunning. There had to be some other agenda. She needed more information and like it or not Shawn was truthful thus far and Kani could sense that.

“Before I met up with you at the base I took care of some other business,” said Kani. “I used one of the old Jedi safe houses to contact my people; they know something is going on in the highest level of the Empire. My Grandfather will likely know this soon. But it also will tell them I am here on Coruscant. In any event I will have to factor that in with any plans.”

Posts: 101 | From: | Registered: Sep 2009  |  Logged: 76.27.195.79
Shawn Petrolu

Trustworthy Jedi Knight

Member # 154

posted 12-12-2015 03:37 PM     Profile for Shawn Petrolu   Author's Homepage   Email Shawn Petrolu     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Shawn nodded thoughtfully, recalling how he and Paul Arakeen had tried to set up a new Jedi Praxeum without the Empire's direct oversight. He knew even then the likelihood of such occurring was improbable...

...but oh, how he wished for a time where the Jedi were thriving and able to help the Galaxy instead of working in the shadows, hoping no one got hurt in the process.

He sighed. "Trust is severely lacking in these times--simply because nobody knows who or what they can trust. Tarnus has links to many things that make him a valuable tool for Actar."

He paused, shaking his head. The words escaped his lips before he could even think about it. And he meant every one of them. "I have a bad feeling about this."

--------------------

Kani Jetiis'ad

Member # 944

posted 12-14-2015 12:33 AM     Profile for Kani Jetiis'ad   Author's Homepage   Email Kani Jetiis'ad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
“We all have bad feelings about this,” said Kani. “I'm becoming increasingly aware that the Empire lied to me about everything. Even knowing that I still feel none of the conditioning that the Empire is known to impart on its sleeper agents that they usually instill. The two possibilities I have to deal with then is the Empire was right, one theory I can no longer accept, or that their conditioning runs so deep I don't even know about it and could be triggered at any time. If that's true than my placement with Tarnus or our predicament could be a plot by the Empire.”

Kani's hand began to exhibit a slight tremor, a sign she had long associated with what the Empire told her was a side effect of breaking her from the Jedi conditioning. In response she had already pulled out her small pill case and was about to take one of the pills she had become use to taking to counteract the condition when she stopped half way into the motion.

I never questioned the Empire because I never had a reason to. The Empire gave me everything I ever wanted; closure, revenge, sense of purpose, helping Mandalore... So I blindly accepted everything they did to me or requested of me. I need answers starting with this.

Kani took two of the capsules setting them on the low table in front of her couch. Using the flat of her vibroblade she crushed the capsules into a fine powder. She was about to ask Shawn to retrieve a scanner from the interrogation room so she could analyze what the composition of the drugs when she stopped herself. Slowly moving the vibroblade out of the way the powder started to slowly at first but increased steady in letting off a cascade of blue sparks.

“Spazt,” Kani cursed. “Do you know what this is Jedi? Its glitterstim.”

Shawn Petrolu

Trustworthy Jedi Knight

Member # 154

posted 12-22-2015 04:08 PM     Profile for Shawn Petrolu   Author's Homepage   Email Shawn Petrolu     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, Sithspit....

Shawn's eyes darkened a shade, clouded with worry and alarm.

"Yes, I am familiar with it. A few years ago, I healed a Jedi of gliterstim exposure after she'd been trapped in the Kessel mines without a rebreather for some time."

He paused, his eyes defocusing a bit as he thought.
Glitterstim, when taken occasionally, heightened the senses and telepathic abilities of the user. But in Kani's case, if she may had perhaps been given it in doses over time...

...the results included degenerated nerves in the brain, resulting in loss of sight, twitching, nervousness, and paranoia...

Shawn's eyes fell on Kani in concern. "How long have you been taking that?"

He arched a brow slightly, still clearly concerned. Then, he reached a hand out in her direction, wondering the true extent of the damage this drug may have caused, his background in healing taking over.

Mid-way through, however, he stopped, not wanting to overstep. His eyes met hers again. "May I?"

--------------------

Kani Jetiis'ad

Member # 944

posted 12-22-2015 06:42 PM     Profile for Kani Jetiis'ad   Author's Homepage   Email Kani Jetiis'ad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
“Three years,” said Kani. “It has been three years since I’ve started working for the Empire.”

Kani ran a mental assessment of her time in the Empire, over that period how many times had she been taking those meds. She recalled how the Empire steadily upped her dosage over time.

My symptoms don’t exhibit the advanced degenerative factors I’m familiar with. Without a detailed medical scan it might be impossible to tell the exact damage. For now the Jedi might be the best option.

“As much as the glitterstim worries me Jedi it’s the reason the Empire might have administered it that concerns me more,” said Kani. “It could be for the addiction to inhibit me if I were ever to leave; another possibility was to break my mental defenses to make me compliant, worse yet to shorten my life so after my useful years to them I disappear on an operation.”

Kani took her vibroblade and set it far away from her.

“Go ahead Jedi,” said Kani. “Check what you want, but I warn you I have no way of knowing what I might do. So if it triggers some hidden conditioning I apologize if I attack you.”

Posts: 101 | From: | Registered: Sep 2009  |  Logged: 76.27.195.79
Shawn Petrolu

Trustworthy Jedi Knight

Member # 154

posted 12-23-2015 04:49 PM     Profile for Shawn Petrolu   Author's Homepage   Email Shawn Petrolu     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Shawn frowned, knowing that regardless of why the Empire was dosing Kani with glitterstim, the reason led to nothing short of evil.

"I should be able to do more than simply check for what damage there may be," he responded simply. "Just... relax," he finished with, realizing how inane the direction sounded.

Kani shot an unreadable look his way...

...and then nodded, just once. Shawn reached a hand out then to touch her forehead and rest there. His eyes closed...

...as did hers, whether by her own violition or due to the mental connection he then established with her was unclear. As he sensed, he quested out for damaged nerve endings, mending them and making things as they should be once more, within her peripheral nervous system and then moving in to her central nervous system, and lastly to her brain.

And Shawn had waited to the last for this with reason. For he knew in that healing, he would touch her thoughts...

...and he didn't want to intrude any more than necessary without her direct permission. And aside from that, as Kani had pointed out, who knew what the Empire...

...or perhaps Actar...

...had conditioned her to unconciously do.

Then out of nowhere, as Shawn expected, as frayed nerve endings healed, memories emerged. First of Kani as a child, with one who was no doubt her mother, to a scream of terror as a deeply rooted, bloodline Force connection was suddenly and cruelly severed...

...memories overlayed with the face of Actar, his eyes dark, an entirely unpleasant smile darkening his face...

And then, whether it was due to Kani or for some other reason entirely, just as Shawn was certain his healing efforts were successful and all nerve damaged was reversed, something from out of nowhere abruptly shoved Shawn out of Kani's mind, the push so strong it physically forced him to his feet and against the nearby wall before completely disappearing.

That wasn't Kani. You know it...

--------------------

Kani Jetiis'ad

Member # 944

posted 12-23-2015 10:37 PM     Profile for Kani Jetiis'ad   Author's Homepage   Email Kani Jetiis'ad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I thank you for healing the damage Jedi it makes it so much easier to work, said something within Kani. “But you saw something you shouldn't have...

Her arm reached out and from the pile of weapons in the corner flew Kani's lightsaber into her outstretched hand. “...and that presents us with a problem, nothing personal Jedi.

This isn't happening. What am I doing? Why can't I stop this?

Kani watched helplessly as she slowly rose and advanced on a stunned Shawn.

One step. “Don't do this,” Kani whispered.

A second step. “You can't do this,” Kani said.

Then a third step, igniting the saber and preparing to strike. “No get out,” Kani commanded.

Kani could feel something receding and her body go weak as she asserted control. She fell to her knees panting then threw the saber to the far side of the room. Scanning the room Kani found no trace of the presence she had just felt.

“What no who was that?” Kani questioned.

Shawn Petrolu

Trustworthy Jedi Knight

Member # 154

posted 12-23-2015 11:02 PM     Profile for Shawn Petrolu   Author's Homepage   Email Shawn Petrolu     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Regaining his senses after the sudden reaction out of nowhere, Shawn moved to Kani, who was on her knees, reeling from what had just occurred.

He shook his head, the concern evident in his face. "I...I don't know. I know Actar has Force abilities...

...but this?"

Shaking his head once more, now to clear his mind of his worries and attend to Kani,he then reached out a hand to help her to her feet.

--------------------

Kani Jetiis'ad

Member # 944

posted 12-23-2015 11:47 PM     Profile for Kani Jetiis'ad   Author's Homepage   Email Kani Jetiis'ad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kani felt Shawn reaching out, not only his had but also through the Force.

Take your weapon, strike down the Jedi traitor, they are the responsible party.

She slapped his hand away before retreating a few feet from Shawn.

“No touch no Force,” said Kani. “When you use your powers... it... tries to gain control. I can hold it down for now. I think I understand the glitterstim, the damage it causes kept that thing in check until a strong enough Force presence triggered it awake. Calm spec-ops trooper by day, blood thirsty psychotic Jedi by night as it were.”

Shawn Petrolu

Trustworthy Jedi Knight

Member # 154

posted 12-24-2015 09:33 AM     Profile for Shawn Petrolu   Author's Homepage   Email Shawn Petrolu     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Shawn didn't like this, not one little bit.

What in all the Fates was Actar...for certainly this was Actar...planning to do...?

It would have been oh-so-easy to directly associate the Empire with all of this. After all its leaders, one after another, all seemed to be blood-thirsty and have dark intent. But the fact of the matter was that there werethose in the Empire who truly meant no harm to anyone...

...and quite frankly perhaps did not have a clue.

Shawn's eyes flicked to Kani once more. Without stretching out with the Force, he knew she struggled mightly.

"We've got to get to Tarnus and get out of here," he said simply, wondering down deep if there was anything he could do to help Kani escape the Fate which she had been so cruelly tied to.

And perhaps there was a way...

--------------------

Kani Jetiis'ad

Member # 944

posted 12-25-2015 04:42 PM     Profile for Kani Jetiis'ad   Author's Homepage   Email Kani Jetiis'ad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
“Yeah find Tarnus and escape because that will be easy,” replied Kani.

She slowly stood up and moved back to the couch. Testing a theory she raised her hand and beckoned to her lightsaber, after a few moments of silence and nothing happening Kani gave up.

“Looks like whatever mental block I have with the Force is still present,” said Kani. “Don't even think about trying to heal that Jedi you passive Force use is enough to deal with trying to keep that thing in check. And it apparently has full access to my abilities which is frightening on another level.”

Kani rocked back and forth on the couch debating with herself how much did Shawn need to know if they were to continue to work together.

This Jedi has been nothing but honest with me, he had ample opportunity to take advantage of the situation. He at least deserves to know the dangers associated with continuing to try and help me.

“I mentioned how I have two bloodline Force abilities and how they were unimportant to our situation back at the base,” said Kani. “At the time they were unimportant because I couldn't use them properly, but if that thing takes over you need to know about them and understand that when I tell you if it gains control why you need to run as fast as possible away from me.”

Kani slowly exhaled preparing her thoughts. “Like my mother I am not overly strong in the Force, my reserves and overall powers are below that of an average Jedi. There are two unique abilities of my bloodline that only my family and the Jedi council knew the full details of. The first abilities relates to how I perceive the Force, you like 99% of all Force users see it much like a sixth sense. You mind interprets the Force, its currents, its energy and allows you to manipulate it. On occasion your perception may bleed over into one of your other senses, you actually see its currents, feel its touch. To both my mother and I the bleed over is very intense, all of my senses can actually perceive the Force and see its effects upon the physical world. Even now I get vague shadows of it with my mental block across all my senses. The advantage of this is you can show me a technique two or three times and I would understand how you did it and be able to replicate most of it, in short at my full abilities I can master a technique in a short time.”

“That ability alone is not exactly unique others can learn the Force at astounding rates,” said Kani. “Its the second ability that you need to worry about. You probably already know about Force Drain, to siphon off another person's reserves to replenish your own. I actually do that all the time, because of how I perceive the Force I also could use the Force Powers of another person instead of my own. Unofficially among the Jedi Masters it was refereed to as Force Vampirism. I spent much of my training learning how not to do it. If that thing gains control I don't know the extent of my abilities it can utilize, just be ready.”

[ 12-25-2015 07:42 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Kani Jetiis'ad ]

Shawn Petrolu

Trustworthy Jedi Knight

Member # 154

posted 12-25-2015 09:02 PM     Profile for Shawn Petrolu   Author's Homepage   Email Shawn Petrolu     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Shawn nodded, his eyes defocusing as he thought.

Imagine what Actar could do with a Force ability like Kani's...

He frowned, his eyes turning a bit stormy.

"I really have to wonder what Actar's true end game is," he said thoughtfully. "I mean, control of the Jedi and control of the Galaxy...

...yeah, that's obvious. But I think theres more than that."

Shawn paused, recalling how Actar had always been after Galen, and after her baby...

...and fairly certain that he was well aware of the Sith race.

And of the All.

Now it was Shawn's turn to wonder how much he should tell Kani. Not because he didn't trust her, but because of his uncertainty of just what powers had a hold on her and what they could do.

"You said your unit was all about controlling the Jedi. I'm certain you are aware Actar had Force skills of his own...

...did any of your instruction go beyond just being told to seek out Jedi who might be against Actar and his Empire and destroy them?"

[ 12-25-2015 09:04 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Shawn Petrolu ]

--------------------

Kani Jetiis'ad

Member # 944

posted 12-26-2015 12:54 AM     Profile for Kani Jetiis'ad   Author's Homepage   Email Kani Jetiis'ad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
“Wait Actar is a Force user?” Kani said. “I... I didn't know, I only met him one time when I tried to kill him. Something happened and the details get fuzzy. I was told, well many things about that day that don't make any sense now that I think about it. Anyways after that I never say Actar again in person, always by commlink or by holo.”

Kani took a moment to practice her deep breathing and Jedi meditation. It helped hold back the other presence she felt.

“My unit did hunt down Jedi,” said Kani. “That was only a small part of the whole overall mission. We dealt with the threats to the Empire they couldn't publicly announce out of fear it would induce in the populace. Ohh sure the Empire is a dictatorship but Actar still needed the support of the Moff's, private military corporations, the Admiralty, and government contractors. Sure they knew we carried out clandestine operations to silence his opposition and critics but as long as it was unseen to them then in their thoughts it was not something to be worried about. Its not so much a unit but special individuals given targets and almost unfettered access to the Empire's resources.”

It is becoming easier to as I shift back to my rational mindset. The order and logic creates the barriers I need, likely it exploits my instincts and fears. That and it also feeds them in order to find gaps in my armor.

“This is how a standard operation worked,” said Kani. “I was given a target, usually by Actar or one of his trusted officers. During the operation I am given agent of the Empire status, effectively unilateral authority to do as I please. I would then do research, recruit the necessary personnel, and we would capture or eliminate the target. Afterward evidence is destroyed, witnesses are silenced, that’s not a euphemism. Even loyal servants of the Empire if they learned too much during the operation are killed. “

“We agents never meet one another in person and we only know one another by code name. I do know that there are only four others that were given Jedi targets, but I was the only one that they would send after suspected Jedi Masters. Now I understand why.”

Shawn Petrolu

Trustworthy Jedi Knight

Member # 154

posted 12-28-2015 06:39 PM     Profile for Shawn Petrolu   Author's Homepage   Email Shawn Petrolu     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Shawn pursed his lips thoughtfully. "He sent you after suspected Jedi Masters..."

He trailed,hesitating with the realization of what he was about to say, "...and with the abilities you have I'm certain you were quite successful." For a moment more he quieted, the last statement meant more as an observation than and accusation.

Shawn hoped Kani took it as such. "And you were recently reassigned to Tarnus, who has connections with Jedi."

And, whether Tarnus likes it or not, or even wants to admit it, connections with the Sith...

"You said you'd contacted your people before you met me at the base and that they would know something was going on at the highest level of the Empire, including your Grandfather," Shawn then said, feeling that turning to what they were going to do next was of the utmost importance. "How do you think he or they will act on this information?"

--------------------

Thoran

Really Nice Member

Member # 493

posted 12-28-2015 09:24 PM     Profile for Thoran   Author's Homepage   Email Thoran     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thoran listened to Shawn for a moment, then felt a small niggling running down his back. He looked to the viewscreen and saw nothing, then glanced behind him. Shawn continued talking, but Thoran’s attention was drawn to something more mysterious. He glanced again at the viewscreen, then sat still, his eyes closing as he tried to focus on the strange feeling.

Shawn eventually stopped talking, which suited Thoran fine, and left. He felt he still wanted to tell Shawn something, but for now it would have to wait. Something was amiss, he felt as if something was searching for him, seeking him out. It was oddly familiar, like an old song heard as a child, but it did not stir happy feelings. It was as if he was being summoned, or….

Thoran sat upright, bolting to his feet.

“No,” he muttered. “no no no no… not him!”

He grabbed for the bulkhead behind him and spun around. He had to find Shawn, there was definitely something happening and he needed the Jedi! Two quick steps got him through the hatchway as he broke into a run. A small pinpoint of light appeared before him and instantly spiraled out into a much larger shimmering rainbow of waving power. He threw his hands up before him and tried to brake, but his momentum was too much to overcome. He barely got out a vulgar word as he stumbled through the portal. It collapsed, leaving no trace of itself or of Thoran.
((OOC: Follow Thoran into Motes in an Electric Eye in the Jedi/Sith forums. Thank you.))

--------------------

The ancients are not the oldest, nor the wisest.

Posts: 265 | From: Urbandale, IA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  Logged: 184.63.109.215
Kani Jetiis'ad

Member # 944

posted 12-28-2015 11:17 PM     Profile for Kani Jetiis'ad   Author's Homepage   Email Kani Jetiis'ad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No more half measures, in order to keep that thing in check I'll need Shawn to keep an eye out and that involves letting him in on the loop.

"There is too much to explain so you get the short version," said Kani. "Over forty years ago my Grandfather, Uncle, and Mother founded the Paladins. Think of it as the Mandalorian form of the Jedi Knights and Imperial Special Forces all rolled into one that answer only to their mandate to preserve and protect what it means to be Mandalorian. So in secret they trained with trusted Jedi Knights, infiltrated several government positions, received training by some of the best military schools, established companies in most of the important industries, the list goes on. All in an effort that if needed could unleash one of the most technologically advanced best trained militaries upon those who attack Mandalore."

Kani let that sink into Shawn's mind for a moment before continuing on.

"Back on the shuttle ride here Tarnus confided in me that he intends to reform the Empire," said Kani. "But for that he needs help to take on its leadership, The Paladins could prove a force to help him do that and for the Paladins a change in leadership within the Empire would align with their interest. My message was vague but alluded to the possibility of someone within the Empire willing to work with them, someone worth me making contact. As to how they might react, I have no idea they could send their fleet, a single vessel, or a single ship."

The relative calm Kani was experiencing was receding ever so slowly. She could feel it trying to assert control ever so subtly and that frightened her. Kani quickly moved into the interrogation room gathering up some equipment and returning to the main room. Quickly she began to fit it to her body.

"It is trying to exert control," said Kani in a panic. "I probably can fight It off but I need you to pay close attention to my instructions. These cuffs are linked to this remote and this head gear." Kani tossed him a small remote and fitted a traditional looking twilek headdress.

"It scans my brain and detects the precursor patterns associated with use of the Force. If I try to use the Force the stun cuffs will deliver a violent shock, if I try to remove them they deliver a violent shock, if you activate that remote they deliver a violent shock. If it takes over use that to incapacitate me or at the very least to keep me from hurting someone. Also remember without the Force I still can fight on the same level as a Jedi Master."

Sorben Tarnus

Former Top-Dog Bounty Hunter, Now 3rd-In-Charge of the Galaxy

Member # 44

posted 12-29-2015 03:19 PM     Profile for Sorben Tarnus   Author's Homepage   Email Sorben Tarnus     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
((Sorben Tarnus enters from "Root, Root, Root For the Home Team," in the Empire and New Republic forums, thank you.))

I could feel my heart rate slow more and more with each passing parsec I was placing between that hellhole of a planet and Actar's ship. Granted, quite a bit of said acceleration was due to the simple anticipation of being caught, of being found out...

But even more was due to the sheer joy, the thrill of having outwitted the enemy, from having pulled the wool smack dab over its eyes. Something of a frown creased my face then, and I drew in a deep breath.

How quickly had my paradigms shifted. Now the Empire was enemy to me, and I to it. But, in coming up gold as attested to yet again by my personal history, I had managed to glean a simple but very important bonus:

The Empire wasn't aware of that little paradigm shift of mine.

At least I didn't think so... nor, if I thought things out carefully and examined every bit of minutia from every single angle, would it.

Nodding, I shifted in my seat, and began planning what I was going to do next. The first step was to determine what factors were currently in my favor, at least as far as I knew them to be:

1. Actar, bless his dianogish ol' hide, was never one to present himself in the open. He operated quietly from his little palace on Ambria, preferring to remain in the shadows, following his own rules. In the case of my absconding with his personal ship, that isolationist behavior would more than likely prove in my favor, for:

1a. It did indeed allow me to steal said ship right under everyone's collective nose.

1b. It probably alluded to the more than likely fact that the majority of officers under his - hell, under my command on Coruscant didn't even know why I had been taken to Ambria. Oh I wasn't foolish enough to not realize that speculation in this regard was probably running rampant... but at this point it was indeed merely that. Speculation. I doubted that even those sent to take me to Actar knew if I had been actually arrested; for all they knew I was needed and needed promptly in front of the highly secretive Admiral.

Theirs was not to question why, after all.

2. As far as everyone knew then, I was not - at least not yet! - a fugitive but was still the Third in Command of the entire damned Imperial empire. Changes to that entitlement to be made upon my arrival at Coruscant, of course. And finally...

3. I had an ace-in-the-hole in the form of a very distrustful and very hot-headed Twi'lek of a personal lieutenant. While of course I didn't completely trust her yet, not nearly to the extent that I knew and trusted my little firebrand of an ex, something told me that having her around would prove useful one day.

I nodded, letting a breath of satisfaction escape me, and pondered further which immediate course of action I should take. The next few hours would of course be the most telling, for it was in those hours that I would have to present Swatzi's death...

...assuming, of course, this hadn't already been discovered and announced... which of course would in turn then elevate me to Second in Command, yay rah...

...and then the fact that Admiral Actar had disappeared.

I didn't think that would present much of a problem. It was the truth; all I needed was just not be quite as completely truthful about said truth, and all would be well.

At least I fervently hoped.

Dammit, Actar, I'm no politician! I'm not meant to lead armies, to deal in plots and subterfuge and assassinations and all the rest that go hand-in-hand with climbing to The Top and remaining there!

I'm a Hunter!

Ok, so be a Hunter, Tarnus ol' boy. Trust your instincts. The hit?

Every damned officer and soldier and administrator and attendant in Actar's little Empire. Only I wasn't about to kill them, of course.

Only... change their minds.

Completely.

Pretty big order, Tarnus...

Which, of course, was exactly what I was planning on doing: making it an order.

It was as laughably simple as that. It was just that what would more than likely follow that was going to be so damned complicated.

[ 12-29-2015 03:24 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Sorben Tarnus ]

--------------------

I am not a droid

Posts: 380 | From: | Registered: Aug 2000  |  Logged: 184.63.109.215
Shawn Petrolu

Trustworthy Jedi Knight

Member # 154

posted 12-29-2015 07:48 PM     Profile for Shawn Petrolu   Author's Homepage   Email Shawn Petrolu     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Shawn could sense Kani's fear as though it was almost a palpable thing. Likewise he began to notice that whatever it was that was trying to control her seemed to do so any time they began discussing anything that might smack of treason against the Empire.

He looked down a bit helplessly at the remote Kani had tossed into his hand, wishing he could help her and hating that she was going through this.

"It seems to happen to you based on the discussion we're having," he said, hoping she could read between the lines what he was implying and certain she was smart enough to do exactly that. "Can you clear your mind..."

He trailed for a moment, the objection sensing the objection that was probably about to come out of her mouth based on the look in her eyes.

"Not Force use, just simple calming techniques, which I'm certain you already know."

--------------------

Kani Jetiis'ad

Member # 944

posted 12-30-2015 01:18 AM     Profile for Kani Jetiis'ad   Author's Homepage   Email Kani Jetiis'ad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kani knew what Shawn said was true, It likely responded to her actions of betrayal toward the Empire. It probably also responded to her fears of losing control, so she heeded his advice and knelt trying to calm her mind. That turned out to be a difficult task because of all the revelations into her past she discovered in such a short time, coupled with shock of being used. So at first Kani tried the Jedi calming techniques her Mother taught her.

There is no Emotion, There is Peace.
There is no Ignorance, There is Knowledge.
There is no Passion, There is Serenity.
There is no Chaos, There is Harmony.
There is no Death, There is The Force.

She opened her eyes her trembling has stopped but It was still there in her mind still as strong as ever like it knew that exercise was one in futility. Not one to so easily accept defeat Kani closed her eyes and tried again.

Ba'jur, Beskar'gam
Aliit, Ara'nov
Mando'a, Mand'alor.”

The recitation of the ancient tenants of what it was to be Mandalorian also did not have the desired effect Kani hoped for. Now it felt as if It extruded a black cloud across her mind showing that meditative breathing and ancient creeds were not enough to prevent It from exerting control.

This isn't me falling to the Darkside, this isn't a temptation to accept greater power, what that thing will do is effectively bring about your death Kani if you don't fight back.

Kani stood and then reached inside to that part of her where her Force powers lied feeling the mental wall her unconscious mind had erected around them. Long had she avoided this wall because every time she probed or tried to work her way through the painful static of the missing Force connection she shared with her mother came crashing back. Well this time she needed some of that power, this time instead of the gentle probe or careful analysis Kani used brute force to bash through that barrier. The result was an immediate wave of that painful static washing over her and the force cuffs delivering a violent shock at her attempts to use the Force. Shawn appeared ready to jump up to intervene and stop her when Kani sent the clearest message she could through the Force to stand down for now.

“I am a friend of the Living Force,” said Kani. “I am a warrior of Mandalore.”

The mental and physical pain was overwhelming, but nothing compared to the emotional pain of feeling her mother continuously die within her Force bond. Her Force cuffs continued to deliver their electrical onslaught, Kani dug deeper into her Force powers and took all that pain she felt and channeled it along with the electricity into her hands. Blue tendrils of electrticty danced in the air off her hands as she directed that power out of her body and without any cautionary thought dived right into the core of her mind she had walled off so long ago.

“The ways of the Jedi give me guidance,” said Kani. “The teachings of Mandalore give me Strength.”

Kani opened her eyes and saw that she was now floating a few inches from the floor, still channeling the electricity she could see Shawn watching on in surprise and concern. Once again Kani turned back into her mind this time drawing another wall around everything that defined who she was even the things that caused her the most pain were also included. When she had finished Kani could see an ever growing but defined shadow within her mind. Reaching out she at first tried to shove that out of her mind, all her efforts were in vain as it refused to budge. So instead she tried to shrink its area of influence to trap it in a cage.

“I will not fear death,” said Kani. “For my ally is the Force.

That idea appeared to work but the effort it took drained her, slowly she descended onto the floor and then sank down to her knees. She was losing control of her ability to channel the electricity bring back the painful shocks and in reponse It began to push back. Seeing how her efforts also left her vulnerable and how if she failed now It might take over completely Kani reached out through the Force for anything. In her desperation she saw what to her was a pillar of light within the Force that was Shawn, and to that shining beacon in the Force Kani let down all her barriers and called out to him.

“Jedi... Jedi... SHAWN,” Kani labored. At that moment it was lost on Kani that was the first time she had ever referred to Shawn by name. She stared off into space as if her attacker was floating in the air and reached out a hand in Shawn's direction pleading for help. “Please help me.”

Shawn Petrolu

Trustworthy Jedi Knight

Member # 154

posted 12-30-2015 09:21 PM     Profile for Shawn Petrolu   Author's Homepage   Email Shawn Petrolu     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Shawn didn't hesitate. Immediately he took Kani's outstretched hand, both externally and internally.

"I am here. You are not alone." Shawn stated. "The Force is with you."

As he stretched out to link to Kani, he was slammed with an upwelling of both physical and emotional pain. But instead of trying to shield her from it, or heal her from it, he instead lent his own strength to fight what was happening, sensing that the only way for her to defeat this was to meet it head on. As he did so, he too sensed the shadow within her, trying to gain control, fighting with all its might. Likewise he sensed Kani's strength and her insistence to persevere.

Together we will face this, and fight this, he thought to Kani, accepting the pain and anguish Kani was feeling, allowing his strength to become hers as well. Closing his eyes, Shawn stretched out further, ensuring his link to Kani was secure.

Externally, Shawn began channeling the energy that was surrounding Kani, giving her less pain so she could devote her senses to what was causing her pain within.

The Force was with them, surrounding them. It provided a blanket as Kani dug deeply into her soul, fighting the Thing that wanted nothing more to either control her or destroy her.

In his mind's eye, an image sprung forth, one of he and Kani as points of light, fighting against It even as the shadow tried to regain control, even to the point of killing its host if necessary. But Kani's determination and strength began shining brighter by the moment, and joined with Shawn's strength and light the Shadow at last began to recede...

[ 12-30-2015 09:28 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Shawn Petrolu ]

--------------------

Kani Jetiis'ad

Member # 944

posted 12-31-2015 12:53 AM     Profile for Kani Jetiis'ad   Author's Homepage   Email Kani Jetiis'ad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It had been over eight years since Kani could touch the Force in such a manner, the day her mother dies to be exact. For another Jedi that lack of use would result in the weakening of their powers, but to Kani it was as simple as breathing. So when Shawn joined in her battle and fully opened himself to her, Kani already knew what must be done.
No don't dull the pain Shawn, amp it up.

Kani sensed Shawn's concern but also his compliance to her request. The sensation was too much to handle all that pain she had to channel more of her Force powers to compensate. In response the force cuffs ramped up to lethal levels. Her heart began to experience arrhythmic response and the force cuffs themselves began to burn her skin as they began to overload their capacitors. To continue down this path appeared to be suicidal, even the shadow in her mind began to stop its onslaught at the idea that Kani was trying to take it down with her, and that was the moment she had worked toward.

“Shawn use everything you got and push It back now,” shouted Kani.

She changed tactics, utilizing a technique prevalent among the Horn family of Jedi Kani took all energy from the electricity and burning heat from the overloading stun cuffs then converted it all into raw Force power. Kani then drew on Shawn's abilities to augment her own and in one violent motion she tried to shrink the cage around the shadow in her mind. However much power she amassed she could not make it budge. It wasn't enough she thought, she continued to fight but was realizing the futility when she felt a familiar hand on her shoulder. Not Shawn's or any other person physically with them.

Buir

“Bring it on,” said Kani. “I'm not giving up, I am not a tool. I... am... a Jedi Knight.”

Kani drew on the third power she felt lending her aid and it gave her more power than she could ever hope for. She grabbed the cage and instead of shrinking it she shoved it out of her mind, with a deep exhale a shadow flowed out of Kani's mouth and hovered in the room contemplating if to strike back. It didn't take long to decide before fading out of sight. She breathed a sigh of relief when the high pitch whine of the force cuffs capacitors overloading filled the room. She shoved Shawn away and added a small nudge in Force before yelling for him to get clear. Kani tried to turn away but wasn't quick enough. The outer casing of the force cuffs exploded showering the right side of her face with burning metal and a hail of sparks. Shawn was at her side in an instant to try and heal the damage when she grabbed his hand stopping him.

“No we don't have time,” said Kani. “That explosion will have attracted attention we need to get out of here now.”

All times are CT
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05