my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Role Playing   » Empire and New Republic   » Suffer Thou Not (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Printable Version
Author Topic: Suffer Thou Not
Yaoksi Joao

Smuggler Extraordinaire and All-Around Good Guy

Member # 126

posted 12-04-2006 12:01 PM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
((OOC: Continuing from The Dream of Those That Wake in the "Empire/Republic" forums, thank you.))

I rubbed my hands over my face, ending with them threading through my hair, which to tell the truth was becoming more and more disheveled what with the manner in which all plans were being made...

...not to mention the sudden insertion of the kids into said affairs.

When my hands came back down it was to grab my drink and knock back a healthy shot. Then I slammed my glass on the table and turned back to Thea and Cel. My immediate reaction, of course, was to let them know in no uncertain terms that there was simply no place for kids where we were going, when I paused to reflect on the look I was getting from the little gal.

Those eyes, shining so bright with open curiosity... and something else. A deeper disappointment, ready to flare out once more; hadn't she already shown a tendency to go trotting off with whoever might just up and come down the pike, offering her candy and dangling a carrot in front of her nose? While I knew this would never happen aboard the Hornett, whose to say that she wouldn't turn away again, seeking something, someone else, if she felt betrayed again?

Gods knew she'd already been derailed from her life's goal too many times already.

I rubbed my face again, agonizing. Then I gave a short, definitive nod.

"Only the one, so far," I began as an aside to Thoran before I looked Thea straight in the eye and set out to be totally honest with her. The kids deserved that at least, I thought.

"Thea honey, yeah, I was going to leave you in safe hands here on Hornett, because we--"

I indicated Aaron and Thoran with a wave of my hand.

"--are going off on a little trip that might, in fact probably will, be very dangerous. We have two routes open to us: one involves confronting the Imperials, the other..."

I fumbled to a halt again, shaking my head at myself. How in the world does an adult tell a child that the Boogeyman is real?

"The other is a shortcut through a very dangerous place, one filled with terrible creatures and no light, and one whose people don't care if you're a kid or grown up.

"If they catch you, you're dead, and that's the simple truth."

I paused yet another moment, letting this sink in.

"Our eventual goal is to go to another world, Thoran's world, the Sith world, honey; Galen and Terrin and all our other friend are there and we want to bring them back here. We don't know if they're in danger there or not, but it could simply be that they can't leave because of the Imperials there blockading the planet.

"We're going to sneak in, find them, and get them out of there. I'm afraid it's going to be awfully dangerous, with a very low probability of success; do you honestly believe you are up to what might happen?

"Can't you understand why I would rather you two remain aboard Hornett, where you'd be out of danger? I couldn't live with myself if anything happened to you."

--------------------

"Hey! It's not my fault!"

Posts: 607 | From: Midwest | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 152.163.100.65
Thea Morgan

Member # 349

posted 12-04-2006 02:29 PM     Profile for Thea Morgan   Author's Homepage   Email Thea Morgan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thea thought for a moment about what Yaoksi was saying then took a deep breath. She knew that she had to challenge herself and face her fears to become a Jedi, and she felt ready to try to do more towards that goal on her own. Her talk with Link had helped build her self-confidence and she felt that now was the time.

"I think that I can do it. I know that I'll be safest with you. And... if you go and something happens to you I'll never know about it. You'll never come back and I won't ever really know why. But if we both go... I've lost too many people that I've cared about already..."

The faces of her lost friends swam through her mind - Jeroc, Cella, Logan, Shayla, Loban - she couldn't fathom the thought of adding any more to that group.

"Besides Galen saved me a couple of times. The least I could do would be to help you help her once."

--------------------

All I want is to be a Jedi.

Posts: 172 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2002  |  Logged: 74.33.231.191
Cel

Really Nice Member

Member # 697

posted 12-05-2006 06:26 PM     Profile for Cel   Author's Homepage   Email Cel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Ok Yaoksi I'll go with you plan for now, but there are a few things that I have to lay down."

"One, since when am I a kid, I know as much about surviving and the crime underworld as you do. I'm good with a blaster and odds are that I have a higher bounty then you."

I took a long drink from my Caff and slammed the mug on the table.

"Two, stop hidding things from me. I have seen just as many horrors as you and know how dangerous the galaxy is... don't sugar coat it because I'm younger then you."

"And three, what does it take to get good food around here... Is there not a place that serves a decent roasted katarn."

--------------------

Creator of Adrianna Joao (Cel, "Link"), Kyan Jetiis'ad (Deceased), Kani Jetiis'ad, Bes'in Skirata

Posts: 328 | From: Oregon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  Logged: 65.184.238.14
Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 12-05-2006 08:25 PM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I couldn't help wincing as Cel's rather roughshod mannerisms trampled into the dirt the beautiful connection I felt I was beginning to make with Thea. Frowning, I turned to her, watched her over crossed arms as she put on her little machismo act, trying to prove herself to be an adult in a most juvenile manner.

The final slur against our host's cuisine and hospitality was the straw that broke the ronto's back, however.

"Are you quite finished, young lady?" I asked her sternly, cocking my head a little to regard her in a growing and extremely frosty silence.

A couple seconds ticked inexorably by in a silence broken only by the soft sounds as someone fidgeted, someone else took a swig of his drink. After a few moments more, I slid off my seat, helped Thea from hers and propelled Cel by a fatherly pull of one arm until she too was on her feet. Her sullen behavior notwithstanding, I then took her by the shoulder and forced her to face me.

"We are not hiding anything from you, Cel. This is something that has only just developed, something that we only now are discussing. While Thea has presented good reasoning on her part as to why she should be allowed in the rescue party, I'm not so certain that, while what you say might be true enough, the behaviors you tend to display would be something we'd need or wish to have with us. Besides, I haven't decided whether or not to allow either of you along yet; the invitation has yet to be extended."

I stood up, looked down at Cel. Then taking both kids by the arm I turned them toward the door into the establishment and gave their backs a gentle push.

"This place is not one for non-adults; Aaron, would you find someone who can take these two somewhere more appropriate for their age to find dinner and so on? Then I'd like to talk a little bit more about what we're going to be getting ourselves into.

"Thea, I'll comm you when we've come to a decision, but I do want you to know you've made some good points for us to consider."

With that I crossed my arms again, watched as Aaron lifted his comm to his lips and summoned a tech, who appeared at the door after just a few more seconds had passed and took both Thea and Cel into his hands.

"It won't be long, Thea," I called as the tech disappeared from the doorway with them. Sighing a little, I turned back to the others, slid back onto my seat, took another slam of my drink and plopped the empty glass back on the bar.

"Well?" I asked, although concerning specifically what and to exactly whom at that moment I really couldn't say.

[ 12-05-2006 08:31 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Yaoksi Joao ]

--------------------

Aaron Barnes

Owner of Eagle Enterprises

Member # 414

posted 12-05-2006 08:52 PM     Profile for Aaron Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Aaron Barnes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Aaron rubbed his chin thoughtfully, truthfully not at all thrilled with the idea of bringing kids along on any of this. "Supposing we take the Devil through the Darker Realms to the Sith Worlds as we've been discussing, I'm worried sbout bringing kids--whether they think themselves that or not--along. Still, Thea wants to be a Jedi, and at some point had to have accompanied Master Petrolu along on some missions. She's been part of quite a bit of action in her young life; she might benefit from experiencing some reality. And, aside from that, she does have relationships to some of the parties involved. As for Cel..."

Aaron trailed for a moment, considering. "She's rough and tumble and has alot of technical abilities. We could use her skills as well...but I worry about her attitude. Is she going to know when to trust us as being more experienced and more knowledgeable, or will she stick to her guns?"

He quieted frowning. "I guess I don't have any definite answer on what we should do."

--------------------

Never trust a scoundrel.

Posts: 384 | From: On the Hornett or ship-dealing elsewhere | Registered: Jan 2003  |  Logged: 68.214.87.148
Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 12-05-2006 09:04 PM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I pushed my empty glass toward the edge of the bar, motioned for the bartender to refill it along with Aaron's.

"I don't know either, Aaron," I sighed, leaning on one elbow as I twisted to face him.

"I mean, as much as it worries me, I'm in agreement with you about Thea. She's got every reason to come along and help; you've got to give her some credit at least; she did make herself a lightsaber after all. That's got to count for something; if she's got it in her to do that, and yeah, with all she's been through, and all the big n' baddie's she's faced--"

Yaoksi, you're going to have to sit down with her and ask her to start opening up about all that. She's never spoken much about it in anything but sweeping generalities and vague hints.

"--I think she could pull her weight if the going got tough. Besides, we've got Thoran here, who I'm sure would make it his number one priority to yank her away if the going got too tough for her; he's got all his Sithy hoo-doos to help protect her, right Thoran ol' buddy?"

Now I twisted the other way, clapped a friendly hand on Thoran's broad shoulder, the grip both friendly and ripe with unspoken meaning. Then I let the hand drop, and went back to nursing my drink.

"I don't know about Cel; that kid's too hard for her age. What we might face is either gonna crack her...

"...or let her come shining into her own, too. Thoran can help baby-sit her too, in case it's necessary; but honestly Aaron, I agree with you. That kid's got to learn to trust us; we can't afford to have any of her 'attitude' spilling out when and where it might backfire against us."

--------------------

Aaron Barnes

Member # 414

posted 12-05-2006 09:16 PM     Profile for Aaron Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Aaron Barnes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Taking a good drink of his refilled mug, Aaron pursed his lips thoughtfully, considering before responding. "So it sounds like we are decided on a trip to the Sith worlds via the Darker Realms," Aaron observed. "And if we take Thea and Cel with us, I think we need to sit down with them both and let them know that their input and abilties are valued but that they are expected to trust those of us who are older in certain regards."

Pausing, Aaron took a glance at his wrist chrono. "There is also the minor consideration, which may need to be rectified, that none of us have had any sleep in quite some time."

--------------------

Never trust a scoundrel.

Posts: 384 | From: On the Hornett or ship-dealing elsewhere | Registered: Jan 2003  |  Logged: 68.214.87.148
Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 12-05-2006 09:29 PM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I reared back a little in surprise, checked my own chrono. Dang if what Aaron had said wasn't right; neither of us had slept since I can't remember when. Just the thought of it made my drink go suddenly sour in my stomach.

"You're right." I stifled a yawn, pushed away the remainder of my drink, stretched and got to my feet.

"I think I'm going to give K'kihl a head's up-- you know the ol' Cricket won't be either willing or able to stay back here while we're out there with my-- er, I mean his--"

I rolled my eyes.

"--beloved ship."

A small smile quirked the corners of my lips; turning to the door, I called back over my shoulder.

"I'm going to contact him and then hit the hay; let me know when our final meeting is going to be before we take off. In the meantime, why don't you call that tech and pass along the word that the little gals get some shut-eye too..."

I paused in mid-step, turning on the spot to give Aaron a direct look.

"But don't let them know yet what's going on. That I think should wait until after we all get some rest, those kids especially, and Thea in particular. I don't care how much sleep she thinks she's had; that was healing sleep which is different from a few hours of good ol' shut-eye."

Nodding to Thoran, I took my leave, hastening to the hangar where my beautiful, beautiful Devil sat in all her brand-spanking new repaired and fully refurbished glory. Finding K'kihl, I quickly gave him the scoop; then not wanting to bother with going all the way back to the quarters Aaron had given me I simply headed to my bunk aboardship.

I was deep in sleep the moment my head hit the pillow.

--------------------

Aaron Barnes

Member # 414

posted 12-05-2006 09:48 PM     Profile for Aaron Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Aaron Barnes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
After finishing the remainder of his drink, Aaron did give the technician a comm, informing him that Cel and Thea should get some sleep. After doing so, he turned to Thoran. "You should really try to get some sleep yourself, you know, if this is going to take the energy you say it will," he commented. "I'll give you a comm in approximately 4 standard hours; this time I hope you actually take those hours to get some rest."

Saying nothing futher than that, Aaron departed the bar, headed for his quarters aboard the Hornett, and fell into the bed. Before he drifted off to sleep, however, something of minor importance--in the grad scheme of things, that is--pressed heavy on his mind. He reached for his commlink and opened the frequency to the Hornett's service department.

"Give the Hornett a thorough cleaning, and make sure everything is running at 110 percent," he ordered, not deigning to explain the reason for this request any further.

Only after gaining confirmation of this order did Aaron at last fall asleep.

--------------------

Never trust a scoundrel.

Thoran

Really Nice Member

Member # 493

posted 12-06-2006 12:10 AM     Profile for Thoran   Author's Homepage   Email Thoran     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
“Gee, bye,” said Thoran as he looked at the vacant doorway. He then turned his attention to the bemused bartender.

“Well, there’s nothing like a nice ‘see ya later’,” he said. “And that was certainly nothing like one. Of course, if anyone wanted to know what I think, I’m sure someone would ask. Of course, I’d say let the kids do their thing. Life’s too short to be coddled, and nobody learns from being safe all the time. Besides, we could use the fodder.”

Thoran thought for a moment, then shrugged.

“I was kidding about the fodder part. Mostly.”

He took a bite of roasted meat and looked back at the bartender.

“But they better not be treating me like some low member of this crew, because I’m not one. I’m a high ranking dignitary, and the only one who knows how to get their sorry butts to where they want to go. And I’m the one who came to them with the offer to help in the first place, so don’t just go running off and telling me to sleep.”

Thoran ate the last bite of his food and pushed his plate away from him.

“Well, I think that’s about enough of that. But maybe something more to drink. Perhaps something to keep me awake this time? I don’t ever intend to sleep again. In fact, know where I can get some good stim drugs? Any seedy decks on board?”

--------------------

The ancients are not the oldest, nor the wisest.

Posts: 265 | From: Urbandale, IA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  Logged: 172.161.87.26
Thea Morgan

Member # 349

posted 12-07-2006 12:02 PM     Profile for Thea Morgan   Author's Homepage   Email Thea Morgan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thea followed the tech down the hall. She was glad Yaoksi thought she had made a good argument but at the same time relieved to let him make the final decision. She glanced over at Link who did not look happy. She wasn't about to say anything to make her more upset but she had learned early that you didn't question Yaoksi. She was so lost in her thoughts that she didn't realize the had entered a little restaurant until she was asked a second time what she wanted to eat.
"Uh... a nerf steak and some vegetables and a jawa juice if you have it."

She sat down and looked over at Link, "What do you think they are going to say? Will we get to go or are we stuck here waiting for them?"

Thea watched Link closely waiting for a response. Her food arrived much faster than she expected and she began to eat without taking her eyes off Link for more than a few seconds at a time. She was unsure what her friend was thinking and wanted to be paying full attention when she answered. She half heard the order to get some sleep come through and thought that she would just lay there awake the way she felt now.

--------------------

Cel

Really Nice Member

Member # 697

posted 12-07-2006 05:10 PM     Profile for Cel   Author's Homepage   Email Cel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Why should I care, before when he knew nothing about me except I was a slicer he treated me as an equal. But now..."

I stared off in the distance for the moment until one of the waiters came by.

"Go away I'm not hungry."

I turned back and faced Thea.

"I thougt that he was different from other smugglers... when he went out of his way to save you the lengths he went. I thought that he might be someone who would want me around for being me, not just for my skills, but all he wants to do is use them when he needs them. And now that he got to know me he feels the need to censor my world."

--------------------

Creator of Adrianna Joao (Cel, "Link"), Kyan Jetiis'ad (Deceased), Kani Jetiis'ad, Bes'in Skirata

Thea Morgan

Member # 349

posted 12-07-2006 05:43 PM     Profile for Thea Morgan   Author's Homepage   Email Thea Morgan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thea shrugged, "He's always been a bit overprotective. He let me do whatever as long as we were on the Devil and I couldn't really get anywhere but when we were on a planet... When all he knew was that you were a slicer, you were dispensable. Now that he knows you, he's getting protective - he's starting to care. He doesn't need to worry about you, he was asked to take care of me by someone he trusted, so if he does then I think its safe to say that he likes you. It's just how he is."
Thea glanced down at her plate and noticed that she had pretty much wiped it clean. I must have been even hungrier than I realized, she thought.
"Shall we go get some sleep then. If that's what they want us to do, we might as well try, maybe we can convince them to let us come if we follow orders willingly here."

[ 12-07-2006 05:43 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Thea Morgan ]

--------------------

Cel

Really Nice Member

Member # 697

posted 12-07-2006 09:18 PM     Profile for Cel   Author's Homepage   Email Cel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"If his consorship of life is his way of showing he cares then he has a very anoying way of caring. I know the people he tries to keep me from, I worked for them in the past and know how to handle them."

I got up and started to lead the way back to the rooms, Thea might not be tired but for the longest time I have been sustained on ungodly amounts of caff.

"This world I'm from created me... A rejected child living among the dregges of society, to top it off one of the most despised and ignored species of the galaxy, a Ryn. He tries to protect me from the world that created me... seem fuitle."

--------------------

Thea Morgan

Member # 349

posted 12-09-2006 10:34 AM     Profile for Thea Morgan   Author's Homepage   Email Thea Morgan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thea followed Link out shrugging, "Futile as it may be, I think that's the only way he knows how to show he cares. He's been trying to shield me from things I'm sure I would have been in the thick of if I was still with a Jedi Master. He never comes out and says he cares but he always gets crazy when he thinks I'm hurt or something is wrong. When we get where we're going he might have to let up a bit. Maybe he'll eventually learn other ways to show he cares in time."

They reached thier rooms and went inside. Thea didn't bother to change and sat on her bed. She thought she might meditate a little before trying to sleep. There was too much running through her head at the moment and she doubted she would get any real rest otherwise.

--------------------

Terrin's Crew

The Guys

Member # 142

posted 12-11-2006 09:33 PM     Profile for Terrin's Crew   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin's Crew     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The bartender merely arched an eyebrow at Thoran. "No," he said, his reply unveiled and highly suspicious. "I haven't any clue what sort of things are bothering you which might make you not want to sleep...

...but it's been my experience that it's better to face them than to go through life avoiding them..."

He trailed, holding up an empty ale mug, "...in more than just this way, of course. And as for the Captain, he'll treat you well, even if he's not the best at public relations. Take it from a member of the EE crew who is pretty low on the ladder."

--------------------

Crew currently consists of Aaron Barnes, Taylor Garrison, Jasyn Lancaster, and Matt Stanza
"We don't need no stinkin' Jedi!" ~~Jasyn
"Never trust a scoundrel."~~Aaron Barnes

Posts: 302 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Dec 2001  |  Logged: 68.214.87.148
Thoran

Really Nice Member

Member # 493

posted 12-11-2006 10:13 PM     Profile for Thoran   Author's Homepage   Email Thoran     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thoran stared at the bartender.

“I’d rather just shoot a stim pack,” he said. “I had a dream, you see. I had a – well, an experience. A really bad one. And this dream is just brutal, see? And if I go back to sleep, it will happen again. And that is something I do not want to have happen.”

Thoran noticed the dark liquid in the mug on the bar, brought there when the kids left.

“Hey,” he said. “That’s caf, right? I’ll take some of that, and keep it coming!”

--------------------

Posts: 265 | From: Urbandale, IA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  Logged: 172.130.36.139
Terrin's Crew

The Guys

Member # 142

posted 12-17-2006 09:56 PM     Profile for Terrin's Crew   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin's Crew     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The bartender sighed and shook his head. "Very well," he said, turning and pouring Thoran a large mug of caf before turning back to place it in front of him. "Maybe talking about this bad experience will cure your nightmares," he suggested. "I've heard many a tale over the years here, so I've got some experience in the area of listening."

--------------------

Crew currently consists of Aaron Barnes, Taylor Garrison, Jasyn Lancaster, and Matt Stanza
"We don't need no stinkin' Jedi!" ~~Jasyn
"Never trust a scoundrel."~~Aaron Barnes

Posts: 302 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Dec 2001  |  Logged: 68.214.87.148
Thoran

Really Nice Member

Member # 493

posted 12-18-2006 05:28 PM     Profile for Thoran   Author's Homepage   Email Thoran     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
“Well,” said Thoran. “See, it’s a nice day, peaceful. I’m surrounded by beautiful women, they start chanting my name, and then the sky goes dark. It doesn’t really matter what happens before that, because it’s always a nice dream until the sky goes dark. Then the clouds open and it’s a voice booming down at me. Then I realize I’m in my old stomping grounds. Call it, oh, I don’t know, ‘Hell’. And this shape is there suddenly, telling me it still owns me. Then I wake up.”

Thoran finished his drink in a gulp and pushed it to the bartender.

“Wow, know what? That stuff is really strong."

Feeling the stimulant of the drink working into him, Thoran stood shakily. His muscles began to relax, and his head felt heavy. He plopped back down.

"You sure this is a stim? Guess you never know how you're going to react to something, eh? Seems to have the opposite eff--"

Thoran yawned deeply and rested his chin in his hand, putting his elbow on the bar.

"Maybe you can just tell them to meet me here..."

The world swam away from the Sith as sleep finally caught up with him once again.

[ 12-18-2006 05:34 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Thoran ]

--------------------

Posts: 265 | From: Urbandale, IA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  Logged: 12.106.111.10
Cel

Really Nice Member

Member # 697

posted 12-19-2006 06:54 PM     Profile for Cel   Author's Homepage   Email Cel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Maybe Thea is right, from her weird sheltered view of the galaxy this was Yaoksi's way pf showing he cares. Maybe I was acting like a child because for once I could. I didn't have to watch my back for any cross hairs.

I procedded to my bed and ripped all the covers and pillows from it tossing it into a corner and making a makeshift nest-bed. I took my blaster and switching it to kill placed it into the mess of covers and pillows ready to draw at any moment. Some habits die hard.

"I've been running long enough on caff, I need actual sleep."

With that I let the sleep take me.

--------------------

Posts: 328 | From: Oregon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  Logged: 65.184.228.62
Aaron Barnes

Member # 414

posted 12-19-2006 07:56 PM     Profile for Aaron Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Aaron Barnes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aaron didn't realize how many times he'd hit the snooze on his chrono til an hour after it had first started going off. Finally floating to enough alertness to realize the time, he sat up with a jerk, rubbing his eyes to clear the sleep from them.

Wow, how long has it been since you've really slept??? he wondered to himself, truthfully unable to answer the question.

With a final stretch and yawn, Aaron clambered out of his bed, headed for the fresher and then to the shower. In fifteen minutes he emerged, fully clean and feeling much more awake. Another five and he was in a clean flightsuit, complete with a well-worn but clean pair of boots. Completing his attire with a blaster in the holster of his belt--a blaster which he was admittedly not the best at using--Aaron headed out and towards his own personal office, feeling the best place for everyone to talk was there, in privacy. Once he reached this location, he sent messages to Thoran's quarters, Yaoksi's quarters, and Thea and Cel's quarters, alerting them all that they would meet in his office, giving the former two parties directions to his office, and telling the latter two that a guard would be enroute in fifteen standard minutes to help them find their way. Only after that did he call a technician in to request that a good, strong pot of caf be brought in shortly.

--------------------

Never trust a scoundrel.

K'kihl

Member # 153

posted 12-19-2006 08:07 PM     Profile for K'kihl   Author's Homepage   Email K'kihl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Verpine stood in Yaoksi's small but comfortable quarters aboard Devil-May-Care, eyeing the lump in front of him with an admixture of curiosity and wonder.

How so great a commotion, this one making can, when asleep he is, he couldn't help thinking as once again he reached out a chitinous arm to poke at the lump. It only garbled something unintelligible, then settled down into another series of snorts and grumbles.

K'kihl cocked his head in the other direction, exasperated.

"Yaoksi, Captain, waking up time it is," he announced with a clack of his mandibles.

Nothing.

Poking the lump somewhat more definitely, he tried again.

"Yaoksi, rising and shining you are now. Going we must be."

Holding aloft a steadily bleeping comm-link, he then shoved it smack into Yaoksi's ear, holding it there with cupped digits that only amplified the sound.

"Wakee wakee, Yaoksi..."

--------------------

Somewhere in this Universe, a hydrospanner for me there is...

Posts: 138 | From: | Registered: Feb 2002  |  Logged: 152.163.100.65
Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 12-19-2006 08:24 PM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mmph glrrble pfft...

"Arrgggh!!"

I shot upright in my bunk, coverlets flying, arms flailing as a great cacophony suddenly erupted in my ear. Somewhere along the line my eyes managed to open, showing me the blurry outline of K'kihl who, chitinous though he was, was still managing to turn his immobile features into one gigantic smirk.

I blinked, growing more irritated with each passing second as my gaze swept from his face to his neck, then his shoulder, following his arm up to where it was truncated by the side of my own face. It was only then that I realized that he was holding a comm against my ear, a comm that was delivering a simple message over and over.

Piqued, I shoved him away, letting my hand run down his retreating arm to snag the comm.

"I'll get it, buddy," I grumbled with a yawn, then swung my legs over the side of my bunk and sat up to pay proper attention to the message. It took three more replays before I was awake enough for the words to register, and to realize that I had almost hit my ol' cricketty pal.

Not that he would have minded; he wouldn't even have felt the blow...

"Ok, K'kihl; that was Aaron. We're to meet in his ready-- ok, okay! I"ll meet him in his ready room, you stay here and get the systems fired up and ready to go."

With another yawn I slid from my bunk, tottered to my fresher and did everything in my power to wake myself up. It took some doing, but finally I felt I could at least go out and face the universe in general without being decked by anyone or anything; donning a fresh pair of khakis, a loose shirt and an old but well broken-in nerf leather vest, I grabbed up the comm and shoved it in my pocket before heading out the hatch.

Leave it to my buddy there to keep on top of things! I smiled to myself as I hurried along, letting my fingers brush against the smooth metallic device in my pocket. After about ten minutes of wandering I found Aaron's ready room and walked on in, in spite of the funny look an assistant-cum-guard gave me.

"Here to see Aaron." I waved the comm-link. "Ahh, there he is--

"Aaron, I hope your coffee's hot and ready to drink. We'll be able to take off shortly; what's the scoop and where's the kids? Have you contacted them?"

I winced a little at my own last statement, for even as I spoke it I realized that I had never contacted Thea back as I promised I would. I held out the comm, dangled it between my fingers in Aaron's direction.

"Do I need to call them?" I asked.

[ 12-19-2006 08:26 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Yaoksi Joao ]

--------------------

Aaron Barnes

Member # 414

posted 12-19-2006 08:36 PM     Profile for Aaron Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Aaron Barnes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"I'm waiting on Thoran to respond to my comm," Aaron answered Yaoksi, indicating the freshly-brewed pot of caf before taking a sip out of his already-poured mug, "And I've commed the kids and given them a heads-up to be ready. I didn't know how long it would take you to get here considering it took me a while to get out of the bed, so I told them a tech would pick them up and bring them here so that they wouldn't get turned around."

Aaron paused, took another sip of caf. "Maybe you'd rather get Thea and Cel yourself?" he queried, looking down at his wrist chrono, "And I don't know where Lord Thoran is."

--------------------

Never trust a scoundrel.

Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 12-19-2006 08:51 PM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Last I saw him was in the bar where we said good-night... egad, mere hours ago!" I yawned, accepting the proffered cup with a grateful nod. The arousing aroma of freshly brewed caf shoved me over the top of the "I'm nearly awake" hill; as I tumbled slowly but surely down the opposite slope I pondered on calling Thea.

"Nah," I finished over the rim of my cup.

"I'm gonna give that little gal every opportunity I can to let her take herself in her own hands, if you know what I mean--"

Even if I still keep a watchful eye out from afar...!

"I'm sure those two can find their way here with a tech in tow; you know that's just how it's gonna be, considering those two-- and especially Cel!"

Smiling, I took another swig, happy to note that it was that swig; you know, The One That Finally Wakes You Up. Pleasantly buzzed on the strong caffeine, I paced across Aaron's ready room to where a platter of yummy-looking pastries beckoned.

"Don't mind if I do; d'ya have any eggs?" I asked, turning back to him with a mouthful of sweet.

[ 12-19-2006 08:53 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Yaoksi Joao ]

--------------------

All times are CT
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05