my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Role Playing   » Empire and New Republic   » Suffer Thou Not (Page 3)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Printable Version
Author Topic: Suffer Thou Not
Aaron Barnes

Owner of Eagle Enterprises

Member # 414

posted 12-27-2006 05:24 PM     Profile for Aaron Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Aaron Barnes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Aaron slowly got to his feet as Yaoksi spoke to Thea. He regarded Thoran, who was still stuffing his face as if he was about to visit an amusement park instead of journey into dangerous and unknown realms...

At least, unknown to him.

Aaron found this very disturbing. "Better finish that up," he then said Thoran's direction. "I'd like to get this little side trip of ours done and get to the business of finding friends. It's been entirely too long already."

--------------------

Never trust a scoundrel.

Posts: 384 | From: On the Hornett or ship-dealing elsewhere | Registered: Jan 2003  |  Logged: 68.214.87.148
Thea Morgan

Member # 349

posted 12-27-2006 07:01 PM     Profile for Thea Morgan   Author's Homepage   Email Thea Morgan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thea shook her head in response to Yaoksi's question, "No, but I've seen you use one and my parents. It can't be that hard, you just point it at whoever is coming after you and squeeze the lever thing, right? And if I get too desperate I've been practicing levitating things. I could throw one of those pastries - or something it's size across the room."
Thea was a little nervous about this assertment as she had never tried to really throw something at something else. She had always practiced controlling the movement of the objects she levitated so she decided to try. Concentrating with all her might on the topmost pastry she reached out with the Force as she had practiced many times on the Devil and lifted it slightly off the plate. She then pulled it slowly towards herself, easy enough, she had practiced that too when she was alone. Then she thought about Link and reached out in her direction causing the pastry to wooble a bit in midair before she could steady it. Thea used her last bit of concentration to send the pastry zooming at her friend and hit her in the face with it.
Thea laughed, "I'm sorry, Link. I wanted to be sure I could do it. Better to be sure now then to find out I can't if there is a problem, right."
Thea smiled sheepishly and floated herself some breakfast, her confidence restored.

--------------------

All I want is to be a Jedi.

Posts: 172 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2002  |  Logged: 74.33.244.84
Thoran

Really Nice Member

Member # 493

posted 12-27-2006 07:24 PM     Profile for Thoran   Author's Homepage   Email Thoran     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thoran finished his pastry and walked towards Cel. He peeled the sticky bun off of the poor child’s face and shoved it into his own mouth.

“Nice trick!” he said. “I’m ready whenever you guys are, lead the way.”

He turned to Thea, finishing the pastry.

“Hey, don’t get brave when we’re in the Darker Realms. We won’t have to be there long, but if we’re noticed then it’s going to be a problem. Weapons won’t do much good, at least not the kind you’re thinking of. This goes for everyone, when we are there, it’s going to be horrible for you. Think of the darkest, most evil place you can imagine and then multiply by one thousand. The only thing that you can do if we’re spotted is fly that ship fast and get us away from whatever it is that found us, and hope you don’t run into something else. I’ll need a minute, maybe less, maybe more, to build back the energy needed to open a hole that big. But I can’t do it if something is right behind us, because chances are it will come through too.”

He licked the icing from his fingers and smiled.

“All right, everyone ready?”

--------------------

The ancients are not the oldest, nor the wisest.

Posts: 265 | From: Urbandale, IA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  Logged: 12.217.207.196
Aaron Barnes

Member # 414

posted 12-27-2006 07:49 PM     Profile for Aaron Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Aaron Barnes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Aaron crossed his arms and frowned a bit at Thoran. "I think everyone is already in agreement that we are all ready," he responded a bit pointedly.

Then he stepped out from behind his desk, motioning for the door as he then began heading that way. "Let's go."

Heading out the doorway to his office, Aaron stood and waited for everyone else to follow, something deep within him rising up anxiously, expectantly. He watched each member of the party as they departed his office, then punch a code on the panel at the side of the door. It slid closed and clicked, the locking mechanism activating.

Aaron nodded in a particular direction of the corridors, turned, and began walking that way, heading to a nearby turbolift. Even as he continued moving smoothly in that direction, a mental note caught his attention.

Maybe the next time he traversed this hallway...

...the true Captain of this ship would be here again.

Reaching the turbolift, Aaron keyed it open and extended a hand, allowing everyone to enter before he stepped inside and keyed in their destination. The doors to the turbolift slid shut, and obeyed the electronic orders it had been given, spiraling downward from the office suites to a level below before stopping without so much as a squeak or jolt. The doors slid back open, revealing the level where the main docking bay was housed.

He turned to the others as they left the turbolift. "Almost there," he observed unnecessarily, for most in the party had already been to the main docking area at least once.

But the statement filled the silence nonetheless.

--------------------

Never trust a scoundrel.

Posts: 384 | From: On the Hornett or ship-dealing elsewhere | Registered: Jan 2003  |  Logged: 68.214.87.148
Thoran

Really Nice Member

Member # 493

posted 12-27-2006 08:36 PM     Profile for Thoran   Author's Homepage   Email Thoran     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The door slid open finally and the main docking bay was in sight. Thoran stepped out of the lift with everyone else, and marveled at the size of the bay. Looking all around, he came to land his sights on a ship that was having the last bit of prep done to it.

“Oh, wow, good thing we’re not leaving in that…”

Yaoksi had already rushed forward to the ship, and was extending a hand to an insectoid… thing… with a hydro-spanner.

“… thing … over in the other direction, away from this fine looking ship in front of me. Hey, Yaoksi, nice ship!”

Oh hell…

--------------------

Posts: 265 | From: Urbandale, IA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  Logged: 12.217.207.196
Yaoksi Joao

Smuggler Extraordinaire and All-Around Good Guy

Member # 126

posted 12-27-2006 08:51 PM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Unable to NOT hear Thoran's raucous and irreverent voice I turned away from K'kihl, a frown of annoyance crossing my face.

"She might not be an Imperial destroyer, pal, but she'll do 2.5 lightspeed, and her center of gravity's where it belongs...

"In the center! She can turn on a credit and give you enough change for breakfast... well, maybe not your breakfast."

I gave the remaining pastry crumbs still glued to Thoran's puss a good strong once-over, and then turned to the others.

"C'mon, she's set to go. Let's get the kids aboard--" I cast a look Cel's way that clearly said Do Not Start, and then turned round and boarded Devil, that I could greet them all properly as they came on.

Hydro-spanner in hand, the Verpine waited, obviously the last man to come up. When all were aboard I turned to Thoran.

"All right now, how do we do this. I presume we need to be up and running, right? Shall I ask for a departure vector, or do we just sit here looking silly..."

[ 12-27-2006 08:53 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Yaoksi Joao ]

--------------------

"Hey! It's not my fault!"

Posts: 607 | From: Midwest | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 205.188.117.65
Thoran

Really Nice Member

Member # 493

posted 12-27-2006 08:57 PM     Profile for Thoran   Author's Homepage   Email Thoran     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thoran laughed, then straightened.

“We should be in space,” he said. “We don’t want anything getting inside the bigger ship through the portal. Once we’re out there, you tell me when you are ready to go, and I’ll open a portal right in front of us. We go in, I close it. I collapse, I get my strength back, you keep away from the nasties. Hide, stay still, whatever. You’ll have a minute or so to keep hidden, or keep away, and then I’ll open a portal out of there as soon as I can. Then we blast the hell through it and I close it behind us. Got it?”

[ 12-27-2006 08:58 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Thoran ]

--------------------

Thea Morgan

Member # 349

posted 12-28-2006 03:49 PM     Profile for Thea Morgan   Author's Homepage   Email Thea Morgan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thea was almost relieved to lead Link back to her room on the Devil. She had spent so much time living here it was almost second nature for her to retreat back to her own space - the only space she had ever really called her own. She was a little concerned about her friend's lack of comment on the pastry in the face and carefully breached the subject hoping she wasn't too mad.
"I am sorry, Link. I thought it was best not to get the men mad at me at this point. Can I help you get the rest of the frosting out of your fur? This is my room, by the way, it's where I've been living since Yaoksi took me in."
Thea paused waiting for her friend to reply.

--------------------

All I want is to be a Jedi.

Posts: 172 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2002  |  Logged: 74.33.244.84
Aaron Barnes

Member # 414

posted 12-28-2006 08:03 PM     Profile for Aaron Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Aaron Barnes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
All this talk of Darker Realms and nasties and "somethings" was really troubling Aaron, no matter how much he preferred avoiding the Empire to get to the other side of the Sith world blockade. He didn't state a lick of his worries, however, but instead opened his own personal comm frequency to the main deck via his wristcomm.

"This is Captain Aaron Barnes, requesting immediate clearance from the Hornett via the Devil May Care, platform 1138.

"Copy that request Captain. Departure vector incoming shortly, sir," came the crisp reply from deck. Only a few moments later, departure coordinates scrolled across Aaron's wristcomm screen. He gave them to Yaoksi, pressing the message button on his wrist comm after. "This is Captain Aaron Barnes, transferring command of the Hornett to Commander Taylor Garrison. All hands are to continue their posts without pause, and all are to respond to any direct order he may give until my return..."

...or the return of someone else, came a mental addendum.

"Captain Aaron Barnes, out."

Closing the comm connection then, Aaron looked over to Yaoksi. "Guess it's now or never," he observed. "Let's do it."

--------------------

Never trust a scoundrel.

Yaoksi Joao

Smuggler Extraordinaire and All-Around Good Guy

Member # 126

posted 12-28-2006 08:12 PM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"No time like the present," I replied with a grin. A grim grin, true, but a grin nevertheless. Wrapping my hands around the controls, I engaged the docking thrusters. We were moving and heading for the bay doors; they opened, and I cut a quick glance to Aaron.

He only looked innocent; snorting now, I gripped the controls more tightly.

"All right, baby; let's show 'em what you've got...

"Full power thrust!"

I don't think there was another being in the entire universe who felt the depth of sheer and utter joy that I did at that moment. For to a true spacer there was nothing-- nothing! that felt better than the sensation of flying space beneath one's helm.

Ok. How about a pair of big blue eyes, braids, pretty little ribbon...?

That only reminded me of where we were going, and why, and who was aboard.

I grunted, gripped the controls, and flew my angel out to about half a billion klicks from nowhere.

"All right, Thoran ol' buddy; it's up to you now!" I said, tossing the words over my shoulder in his general direction.

--------------------

"Hey! It's not my fault!"

Posts: 607 | From: Midwest | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 152.163.100.65
Cel

Really Nice Member

Member # 697

posted 12-29-2006 06:38 AM     Profile for Cel   Author's Homepage   Email Cel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"No thanks... for those who never delt with fur they often times mess it up more then help. Just show me where the sani-steam is and a very fine brush and I'll take care of it."

I took a quick look around the room. carefully taking it in.

"By the way are you sure you can handle a blaster."

--------------------

Creator of Adrianna Joao (Cel, "Link"), Kyan Jetiis'ad (Deceased), Kani Jetiis'ad, Bes'in Skirata

Posts: 328 | From: Oregon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  Logged: 138.162.128.59
Thoran

Really Nice Member

Member # 493

posted 12-29-2006 10:32 AM     Profile for Thoran   Author's Homepage   Email Thoran     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thoran took a deep breath and walked forward as far as he could. Looking out into the space beyond, he drummed up images of the Darker Realms. He hoped he never had to return there again, even for the short time he hoped this would be, but hopes rarely turned out to be reality.

He opened the portal in front of the ship. It began as a shimmering rip in space, then widened as Thoran poured more and more of his willpower into it. Not born a creature of the Darker Realms, but definitely one now, the doorway opened wider and wider, welcoming him home. The door was large enough just time, and the ship passed through it.

Thoran released his hold and the portal schlicked shut behind the ship. He turned to Yaoksi, surprised that he was still standing. He had never opened a portal that large before.

“All ri--”, he started. A sudden emptiness filled his head, his eyes rolled back, his knees buckled, and Thoran fell backwards, unconscious.

(((OOC: Follow these shenanigans into Siege of a Soul in the Jedi Praxeum & Sith Temple forum. Thank you!)))

[ 12-29-2006 06:46 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Thoran ]

--------------------

Posts: 265 | From: Urbandale, IA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  Logged: 12.106.111.10
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 12-29-2006 06:55 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
((OOC: Just to clarify, everyone aboard Devil has moved into the thread The Siege of a Soul in the "Jedi/Sith" forums, thank you.))

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 12.216.67.77

All times are CT
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05