my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
»  The Holonet Boards   » Role Playing   » Empire and New Republic   » Three Parsecs from Ambria: Rendezvous on a Rogue Moon (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 

Printable Version
Author Topic: Three Parsecs from Ambria: Rendezvous on a Rogue Moon
Erik Kartan

Corellian Info Smuggler and Pilot

Member # 129

posted 09-07-2001 01:42 PM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"30 seconds to reversion," someone on deck called out.

Erik nodded. "Here goes nothing. I really do hope they know we are incoming. The fleet isn't big, but this could come as a shock."

Katrina grinned. "Fleet's big enough to create a stir, you are saying."

"Yeah. But I kinda don't think silver and purple shuttles strike fear in the hearts of men," he said, first smiling then turning a little serious. "But they are Shayla's favorite colors."

Katrina understood the shift in tone and reiterated, "We WILL find her, Erik."

"15 seconds to reversion," the deck officer warned.

"Yeah, I hope so," Erik replied to Katrina after the second count. Directing his attention to everyone on deck, Erik called out "Everyone to your stations."

With that, everyone on deck headed to a seat either at a control station or at a observation area on the outside of the deck. Katrina strapped in at the observation area, and Erik remained at his seat at the control panel.

"Ten seconds."

"Here goes nothing," Erik muttered to himself. "Shayla, please hang in there. We're coming."

"Five seconds."

The deck went silent, and slowly starlines appeared, then faded into realspace.

"Comm station, all shuttles report in," Erik requested.

"Sprite, standing by," a female answered over the comm channel.

"Stardust reporting in," a man's voice boomed.

"Spaceangel, in system."

"Freighters?" Erik prompted.

"Starlight, standing by."

"Firefox, standing by."

"Queenbee, reporting."

"Lioness, in system."

"Galaxy Tiger, reporting."

"Good. All corvettes and all freighters with ties reporting in. Set orbit course for the moon," Erik ordered.

"Orbit course calculated and locked in," someone called out.

"Squadron commanders, report," Erik continued.

"Stargazer squadron Commander Zaloc reporting," a man stated over comm.

"Spaceangel squadron Commander Leona reporting," a female said, voice crackling in and out.

"Stardust squadron Commander Rosalie reporting," another woman answered.

"Good, everyone is here. That's the first step." Looking down at the control deck in front of him, Erik flipped a switch. "William, how's my ship?"

"The Lioness is fueled and docking with the Stargazer as we speak," an amused voice answered.

"Treat her well, did you?" Erik kidded.

"Nothing but the best," William responded.

"Better be, or else, you know the drill," Erik stated smiling. "Have her prepped for flight, I might need her."

"Gotcha boss."

With that, Erik punched another button on the control deck, closing the comm channel with William.

"Scanning crew, what other ships are in system besides ours?"

"One. A really big un-registered corvette that probably has some mean firepower," a young guy across the deck replied.

"Must be our contact. At least, let's hope it is. Open me a comm channel with the shuttle if possible."

"Done boss," the same guy replied.

Erik cleared his throat, suddenly feeling a bit nervous. He pushed the feeling to the side. "Orbiting shuttle, this is Captain Erik Kartan, requesting permission to speak with the Captain of your vessel," he said over the comm. "Acknowledge?"

[ 09-07-2001 07:12 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Erik Kartan ]

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!
My heart is broken....sweet sleep my Dark Angel... Evanescence, "My Heart is Broken"

Posts: 447 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Aug 2001  |  Logged: 65.80.104.93
Cella Poliani

Member # 115

posted 09-07-2001 10:43 PM     Profile for Cella Poliani   Author's Homepage   Email Cella Poliani     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Cella was snoring by the comm station where she'd fallen asleep, waiting to get news of Jeroc. Suddenly, the comm crackled to life, and Cella was alert as ever.
"Orbiting shuttle, this is Captain Erik Kartan, requesting permission to speak with the Captain of your vessel.Acknowledge?"

Cella spoke hurriedly into the comm, rubbing sleep from her eyes. "Captain Kartan, this is Jedi Knight Cella Poliani. I assume you're the reinforcements my partner Jeroc Mahoy spoke of?"

"Absolutely, madam. Did we beat him here?"

"That you did--even though his ship is fast, he was probably farther from here than you. I'll alert Captain Joao of your presence, and let me just say that I'm happy to have you with us. Poliani out."

The Devil-May-Care was silent save for the thud of Cella's bare feet as she ran to Yaoksi's cabin. She cycled the door open to find him sitting awake. He turned his face to her in suprise, and a wave of emotions abruptly roiled off him.

Love. Loneliness. Fear.

She just stood there for a moment in quiet wonderment. Finally Cella managed to say, "The reinforcements Jeroc promised are here. Shayla's friends. You'd better go talk to them--it's a sizable fleet."

He was speechless for a moment, and she slowly stepped closer to him, her heart pounding. Waiting. What would he say?

Posts: 76 | From: see Rogue Angel | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 172.139.246.251
Rogue Angel

Jedi Knight

Member # 33

posted 09-07-2001 11:09 PM     Profile for Rogue Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Rogue Angel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Together, Jeroc and Logan brought the Pride of Yavin out of hyperspace as smoothly as an Alderaanian matron threading a needle. What they saw through the viewport took their breath away.

Orbiting around the rogue moon were four sleek shuttles, five freighters, and three squadrons of starfighters. Jeroc gasped audibly despite himself. By New Republic standards, it was a small fleet, but more than he had expected. He noticed with some amusement that all the ships were fitted out in livery of purple and silver--just like Izzy. Shayla must have had a liking for those colors.

Logan looked up from the sensor console. "High-end scanners detect a sizable corvette parked on the far side of the moon. That must be the ship Cella's on."

Jeroc thought for a moment. "Send a general identification hail to the flagship of the fleet, whichever one you think it is. Try to open me up a channel to the corvette. I need to talk to Cella." As Logan worked his electronic magic, Jeroc waited as patiently as he could. It was no easy task.

[ 09-14-2001 09:37 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Rogue Angel ]

--------------------

"Is that a lightsaber in your pocket or are ya just happy to see me?"

Posts: 357 | From: Mississippi, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 172.139.246.251
Yaoksi Joao

Smuggler Extraordinaire and All-Around Good Guy

Member # 126

posted 09-07-2001 11:13 PM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I don't know which was darker, or spanned the greater part of eternity in its depth: the wondrously jeweled Universe which encased Devil-May-Care as would a shroud of chromatic-dusted velvet, or the thoughts that were roiling blackly about in my head. I really couldn't say how long I had been at the systems check I told Cella I was running; it could have been minutes or hours....

I pursed my lips to myself, and with a jerk brought my wandering attention back to the digi-padd readout for the umpteenth time.

Ok, Yaoksi ol pirate, systems looking good....

Yeah, right. Who in the Name of all the Spice on Kessel do you think you're fooling?

I sighed, running a hand through my hair, and giving the rapidly scrolling list of numbers and characters only half an eye. Ok, so I really couldn't say how good the systems were looking at the moment, because I really wasn't focusing on them as well as I ought to be. Try as I might, all I could see was the sparkle in a certain pair of eyes at the mention of a certain name...

Yaoksi, this isn't getting you anywhere. Give it up, man!

Throwing the padd a final once-over (ok, so things checked out with their usual 110% optimum efficiency rating) I got to my feet. I gave my chronometer a quick glance.

Kessel! Had I really spent that much time zoned out, trying to pretend that I was making certain all was well when really...

When really all I wanted was to sit down with Cella and, for the first time in my life, try to get serious with a woman.

I shook the thought out of my head, my frown increasing a bit. This would never do.

Yaoksi, I berated myself. You saw the look. There has never been any indication that a gal like that and you could--

I bit that off in mid-sentence, suddenly not wanting to inspect it too closely. I shook my head to myself again, trying to cement a sudden defiance I was aiming at myself. It wasn't working very well; with my shoulders slumping a bit I headed off to my quarters to clean up a bit. I sighed again.

Yaoksi, maybe what you ought to do is the logical thing for once in your life. You were needed as transport; this lady now has people coming. See her safely into their hands, bid all a fond adieu, and head off with your newly-won credits to the Corporate Sector for a little vacation.

Another thought struck me as I came to my rooms and entered, and I eyed it closely. You've always claimed it's better to be a Lone Nek than a herd-bound ikopi; but... wouldn't it be nice to run with a partner? It has been nice having Cella... having her here; you could use some company, couldn't you ol' boy?

Maybe you ought to go off and find yourself a partner or something....

I had just given myself a quick 'fresher break, and had sat down upon my bunk to reconnoiter with myself when my vascillating thoughts were rudely interrupted by an auxillary proximity sensor which began bleating like a baby ronto crying for it's mother. I jerked from my reverie with a start.

Incoming transmission! That thought had barely registered when the door to my quarters opened to reveal Cella standing without. For a moment that was uncomfortably long, we only stared at each other. Then she seemed to gather a part of herself together.

"The reinforcements Jeroc promised are here. Shayla's friends. You'd better go talk to them--it's a sizable fleet."

I clenched my jaw, struggling to keep my thoughts only upon business, nodding a bit tersely as I got to my feet and approached her. I was all too keenly aware of her presence as, coming up in front of her I paused for a brief moment, and stared directly into those wonderful eyes of hers.

A heartbeat passed. I opened my mouth, but no words could come out.

Quickly changing my loosely held lips into something approximating a casual smile, I brushed hurriedly past her and headed to the bridge. There I seated myself in the command chair, my fingers dancing on the communication panel as I simultaneously replayed the transmission and snapped on the forward viewscreen.

Sizeable fleet? Kessel! There were enough ships floating around out there to arm an entire Rebellion wing, back in the days of Palpatine! Who the heck is this guy? And, was this Jeroc with him as well?

I voiced as much in my acknowledgement.

"Captain Yaoksi Joao of Devil-May-Care" I introduced myself a bit tersely. "Welcome to my little hole in the Galaxy. Are you the fabled 'Knights of Olde' I've been expecting? If so, I think there's someone aboard who's a touch anxious to speak with you.

"More on that later," I concluded, cutting off that train of thought before my focus derailed again. "Right now, I think we'd better be making some arrangements for a gab session.

"My place or yours?"

[ 09-08-2001 03:06 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Yaoksi Joao ]

--------------------

"Hey! It's not my fault!"

Posts: 607 | From: Midwest | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 205.188.198.182
Rogue Angel

Jedi Knight

Member # 33

posted 09-09-2001 05:19 PM     Profile for Rogue Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Rogue Angel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
A smile bloomed on Logan's alert face. "I got it, boss. You get to talk to your lady in five...four...three..." He glanced quickly at his Master. Jeroc's eyes were glowing, deeply anticipating. Had Logan missed something along the way? The comm channel opened up and Jeroc leaned forward to speak.

--------------------

Posts: 357 | From: Mississippi, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 172.143.192.16
Cella Poliani

Member # 115

posted 09-09-2001 05:29 PM     Profile for Cella Poliani   Author's Homepage   Email Cella Poliani     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The light on the Devil-May-Care's comm board that signaled a waiting comm on the line started flashing like a Midwinter Festival decoration. Instantly, Cella knew it was Jeroc. She felt him and Logan, as well as Thea. The Pride of Yavin must be just insystem.

A slow, sweet smile crossed her face. Yaoksi looked at her in amazement. Blushing, Cella explained herself. "That's Jeroc! He's here now...not with that fleet but close behind. Anyway, finish up that call..."

She tried to pay attention to the discussion Yaoksi and Erik were having, but it was useless. Jeroc's presence was sharp and clear as starlight. Every veil and barrier blocking them from each other was burned away like morning mist.

He was happy to be with her again. He loved her. Cella closed her eyes and sank back into her seat. But not even her joy could prevent her from feeling Yaoksi's acute distress...

Posts: 76 | From: see Rogue Angel | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 172.143.192.16
Erik Kartan

Member # 129

posted 09-09-2001 06:42 PM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"My place or yours?" Yaoksi asked.

Erik's information smuggler background answered Yours, but he thought better of it. Although getting a peek at the fire-power on the other shuttle was tempting, it was highly likely that by the time they would meet the other Jedi would be in system as well, and Erik knew his shuttle could provide more in the way of comfort and dining services.

"Boss," someone on deck called, "Sorry to interrupt, but another shuttle just arrived in system."

"One moment, Captain Yaoksi," Erik told the other man over the comm. He hated to be rude and interrupt, but having an un-friendly in the system could be a problem.

"It has hailed us and tagged itself as the Pride of Yavin," the deck officer continued, answering Erik's unasked question.

"Good. Tag it and the Devil-May-Care as friendlies," Erik ordered.

Now, back to the comm. "Apologies for the interruption. I think my place," Erik answered at last. "And while we are at it, we might as well invite Master Mahoy and anyone who is accompanying him to the 'party' as well. How does meeting in an hour sound?"

There seemed to be a little consulting going on between the two parties on the other corvette, and finally Yaoksi answered that this would be fine.

"Very well," Erik said, "If you need me before then, just call. But for now, Erik Kartan out."

[ 09-09-2001 06:58 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Erik Kartan ]

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!
My heart is broken....sweet sleep my Dark Angel... Evanescence, "My Heart is Broken"

Posts: 447 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Aug 2001  |  Logged: 65.80.104.159
Erik Kartan

Member # 129

posted 09-09-2001 06:47 PM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
OCC: There are 4 shuttles in the Stargazer fleet. The Stargazer is the one that didn't report in because Erik is aboard it.

[ 09-09-2001 06:48 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Erik Kartan ]

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!

Posts: 447 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Aug 2001  |  Logged: 65.80.104.159
Erik Kartan

Member # 129

posted 09-10-2001 10:33 AM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Erik was in his quarters getting ready to meet the Jedi, when a gust of anger so heavy and so quick slammed into him with the force of an Eclipse.

And he was certain the force of anger was coming from Shayla.

"Noooo!!!" he cried out loud, his heart pounding in his ears, the seconds becoming hours.

Something had happened. Something terrible. With great agony, he could feel the fear gripping her and overtaking her...and she did not fight back!

Feeling weak, Erik leaned on his dresser with both hands, staring himself in the mirror and evaluating the pain that was radiating from all his features.

Shayla, please, don't. Anger and agression, the dark side are they. Remember?

He knew she was hearing him, but the response was silent and cold. And with one swift act, she shut herself off from him. Certainly not away from the universe, for such power she did not yet possess. But she knew his Force skills, and she knew he would be unable to penetrate the shield she was solidifying even now.

Was she protecting him, or something else?

Horrified, Erik turned, now leaning his back against the dresser and putting his face in his hands.

Was he the only one who could so easily feel that Shayla was withdrawing? What was becoming of her...and would he EVER truly have her back?

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!

Erik Kartan

Member # 129

posted 09-23-2001 11:14 PM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
After a few minutes, Erik managed to regain his composure and resolve. Glancing in the mirror, he made sure he looked presentable. His black flightsuit had been freshly cleaned and ironed, and he'd taken care to clean off his black work boots.

So he didn't look fancy, but he was clean and comfortably dressed, and that was his style. Besides, the situation demanded that he wait no longer to afford his guests the luxury of showy attire and thrills and frills. He needed to talk to them now...it just couldn't wait any longer. He couldn't bear this alone.

Taking his comlink from the middle of his bed where he'd thrown it before he took a shower, he thumbed it on and punch in the Devil-May-Care's comm frequency.

"This is Erik Kartan. I know we still have awhile before our scheduled apppointment but," he hesitated, feeling a little bad about intruding but knowing he needed to get what he was dealing with out in the open, "I need to talk to you all, now. Concerning Shayla. It's very, very, important. Do you read me?"

[ 09-23-2001 11:15 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Erik Kartan ]

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!

Posts: 447 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Aug 2001  |  Logged: 65.80.105.168
Rogue Angel

Jedi Knight

Member # 33

posted 09-28-2001 11:56 PM     Profile for Rogue Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Rogue Angel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"Channel's open, boss," Logan called out, and Jeroc immediately spoke into the comm.

"Can you hear me, Cella? It's Jeroc...I..."

"Yes, yes!" Cella's voice was fuzzy but ecstatic. "Boy, am I glad that you're here. If we weren't already rendezvousing on Erik's ship, I'd get you over here. We need to talk."

"Definitely." Jeroc's expression turned more serious. That comment had several layers of meaning. He turned his attention to Cella's male companion. "Captain Joao, I'd like to thank you for keeping an eye on my partner. She can be quite a handful at times."

An unfamiliar voice issued from the comm unit. "No problem, Mr. Mahoy. She's a real lady, she is."

"Cella, we'll talk more later, but it's good just to hear your voice. Mahoy out."

"Poliani out."

Suddenly, a wave of furious dark Force slammed into Jeroc and nearly took the wind out of him. He could feel Cella reaching frantically for him throug the Force. He grasped her Force presence lovingly, taking comfort from her familiarity while trying to reorient himself. What was that?

The thing that frightened him the most...the fury was underlaid with the faintest presence of Shayla, like a barely discernible scent of roses covered up by the smell of silage. Shayla, what happened to you out there?

--------------------

Posts: 357 | From: Mississippi, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 172.130.89.195
Cella Poliani

Member # 115

posted 09-29-2001 12:05 AM     Profile for Cella Poliani   Author's Homepage   Email Cella Poliani     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Dizzy with joy at just speaking to Jeroc, Cella signed off the comm. This coming hour would be a long one. Yaoksi's acute discomfort was tough to ignore, though, and she could tell it had taken a lot of resolve just to make that terse remark to Jeroc.

Suddenly, in the split second between two thoughts, an invisible shockwave of pure fury slammed into her like a hundred G forces. Cella gasped and almost fell out of her seat. She flailed out for Jeroc like a drowning person fumbling for a handhold, and instantly felt him with her.

Then Cella sensed Shayla's presence under it, and disgust nearly made her retch. In her distress, she barely heard the comm crackle to life some minutes later, she didn't know how long.

"This is Erik Kartan. I know we still have awhile before our scheduled apppointment but I need to talk to you all, now. Concerning Shayla. It's very, very, important. Do you read me?"

Yaoksi's voice was coming from a place light-years away. "Yes, we read." He looked over at Cella with concern, and she nodded slightly. She was ill, but she had to talk to this Erik. "We'll be right over, and we'll relay the message to Jedi Mahoy."

Yaoksi laid a gentle hand on Cella's shoulder. "Time to get into the WannaBee, miss. We have an appointment to keep."

Posts: 76 | From: see Rogue Angel | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 172.130.89.195
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-29-2001 02:35 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
((OOC: Excuse me, but you are using my character without my permission. IE: you are making Yaoksi answer. This is RP; you should wait for me to make his reply. I may want to write something different.))

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.192.47
Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 09-29-2001 03:31 AM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Trying to keep myself focused upon nothing but strictly business, I reached over and keyed in a few crucial strokes on my navboard. For a moment or two digital readouts sparkled like a million floort-larvae on a soft summer's eve; then the board settled down to a steady red glow.

There, I thought to myself with a bit of satisfaction, the best feeling I had managed to muster up lately. When we leave, "Devil-May-Care" will take care of herself, and won't let anyone dock without the right signature... one that has my retinal scan upon it.

I drew back with a little sigh, pursed my lips together. Then I turned to Cella. For a moment that was almost unbearable, I watched her firming, straightening, gaining strength through her incredible jedi resources to fight whatever it was that had momentarily weakened her.

The moment being unbearable for the fact that I wanted nothing more than to rush to her and put my arms around her, lending her strength of my own to assist in her recovery.

"Guess I'd better get you over there," I finally announced as she let out one last, steadying breath, trying myself to sound light-hearted.

The look she gave me was one of concern, but nothing could totally erase the sparkle whch was taking increasing precedence in her eye. I pursed my lips tighter, then abruptly whirled and literally stalked from the bridge. For a moment there was only silence, then the soft sound of footsteps coming in my wake told me my erstwhile companion was right on my heels.

We moved through the spacious interior of my ship in complete, and not quite so companionable a silence. Maybe Cella did try to start a conversation; if so, it didn't protrude through the glum thoughts that were boiling around in my head, and probably died an early death from lack of interaction on my part. I refused to look at her, but just let my black thoughts and determined footsteps carry me into the docking bay.

Yaoksi, ol pirate, you're acting like a child! that nasty little shoulder-angel piped up from somewhere in my center gut. If you thought there might be any chance whatsoever... I mean, maybe this Jeroc...

...well, you certainly aren't putting on a good show now, are you?

I snorted aloud, still refusing to look in Cella's direction. I could just imagine the expression on her face right now....

Yeah, buddy, she's a happy, happy spacer! Now the opposing shoulder-demon decided to plunk down its two-cents-worth. I don't know what all this subtle grabbing and hugging had been about... but don't you think she's kinda changed her tune a couple times in the last few hours?

That thought set me to scowling, and I stopped in my tracks. Behind me, Cella slid to a halt, barely keeping from running into me altogether. I risked a quick glance in her direction; nothing was said, but I could see the question dancing in her eyes, poking out a tiny bit around the happiness that filled them otherwise.

With some effort, I lightened my own expression. "Ahh- I was just thinking," I stammered a bit hurriedly. "I think it would be best to take Bee instead; just in case the bad guys pop up while we're in transit. It's bigger, far stronger, has better armament, and can fly circles around WannaBee."

Nevermind the fact that you just can't stand being crammed that close to her again, can you Yaoksi?

Cella only nodded, following me as I led the way to my interceptor. Gaining it, I popped the hatch, and made a point to carefully stand aside while she entered and headed for the navigator's seat. Before she could seat herself, I hurried aboard, and stopped her with a light touch on her arm. It took every bit of willpower I possessed not to jerk from the electric jolt that coursed through my body at that touch.

"Ahh- maybe you might want to take a passenger seat," I hinted. "After all, that's what you hired me for, to transport you, right?

"I- I mean, I think you're more protected in the middle of the ship," I finished lamely. I ran a hand through my hair. Sheesh, if you thought you might be able to salvage anything from this, that certainly went a long way toward the certainty that you just lost salvage rights...

Face it, brother. That little demon piped up again. You're just a tad wee irritated at how she just up and took over communications on "Devil-May-Care," communications talking to Jeroc...

I sighed as Cella turned round and, brushing silently by me, headed back behind the pilot's center. My hand had paused somewhat foolishly atop my head; with another small sigh I ran it down my face.

Corporate Sector was suddenly beginning to look very, very attractive....

I seated myself and brought Bee's systems online. For a brief moment I was genuinely happy as the sleek little fighter hummed into lethal life. Then I flipped open a communications channel to Pride of Yavin.

"This is Captain Yaoksi Joao of Devil-May-Care," I began formally. "I am proceeding to depart ship with your contact; ETA approximately 15 standard minutes."

Afraid the darkness hovering around my conscious thought might start creeping into the tone of my voice, I quickly closed communications and made my final pre-flight check-out. All systems were green; settling back in my chair, I flew Bee out of Devil-May-Care as I had departed not long ago with Cella in WannaBee. We shot out of the mother ship scarcely had the docking bay door opened wide enough, and cork-screwed into the cold vaccuum of space beyond it. The little shoulder demon whispered something into my ear; gritting my teeth, I yanked the controls, and set Bee into a half-roll. Then we straightened and headed directly toward the ships which waited patiently for our arrival.

The few minutes it took to traverse the distance between my ship and Jeroc's were an eternity, one filled with myriad conflicting thoughts and feelings. As well as utter silence.

Pride of Yavin loomed bigger and bigger in my viewscreen, finally filling it altogether as we approached our docking coordinates. I saw it then, the docking bay doors open in welcome...

Yeah, in welcome for her, the Jedi. More Jedi aboard; Yaoksi, what do you think you can really, really do to help here anyway?

Pushing this final black thought to the back of my mind, I proceeded with the delicate task of docking my interceptor within the bowels of the Jedi's ship. We settled to a feather-light landing on the deck, the only sounds to mar the continued silence being the sshk as Bee vented herself and began putting her systems on standby in preparation for final shutdown.

I reached forth a hand... let it hover, considering... turned to look at Cella, who was beginning to get out of her seat... saw only the increased sparkle in her eye, heard only her quickening intake of breath...

...and let the hand descend, aborting systems shutdown. Bee obediently went to full-alert standby, ready to depart at the slightest touch of a button.

I moved my hand a touch to the right, hit another dial, and opened the hatch. Sounds of welcoming voices flooded into Bee as several people waiting in the docking bay started rushing happily forward.

Sure would be nice to join in the merriment they're spreading around. I thought glumly to myself.

By now Cella was at the hatch, about to depart. There she paused, and turned to give me a questioning look.

Give it up, pal...

"No, I'm not coming with you, Cella," I said in a low voice. It was the hardest thing I had ever said in my life, and Fates only know I'm known in several systems as being something of a smooth talker. "I've done what you want; I got you this far. I believe my place is..."

...by your side, or the farthest place in the Galaxy from you....

"...elsewhere," I finished in an even lower tone of voice.

[ 09-29-2001 04:06 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Yaoksi Joao ]

--------------------

Posts: 607 | From: Midwest | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 205.188.192.43
Erik Kartan

Member # 129

posted 09-29-2001 01:41 PM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
In a little over 30 standard minutes, Erik and his guests--minus the Captain of the Devil-May-Care--where was he???--sat at a conference table aboard the Stargazer. They'd exchanged pleasantries, and introduced each other.

Now, Erik wondered to himself, How am I going to explain this little thing with Shayla? Wait...LITTLE? Anything but little...

Suddenly feeling nervous upon hearing Cella's question about what he wanted to talk about so urgently, Erik got up and began to pace back and forth as feelings and visions clouded his mind's eye.

"I can feel Shayla," he started, his voice etched with concern. "She's withdrawing...from everyone. She's angry...I believe she's upset that we haven't shown up to save her, that we've taken so long. I don't know where she is exactly, but she's with someone very powerful and very evil...that I know.

Quite honestly, the only person Shayla doesn't seem to have fully given up on is, well, me. She sometimes shuts me out...sometimes lets me in...sometimes talks to me through the Force even..."

With these words, he stopped his pacing and turned to face the others, listening quietly to what he had to say, "She's losing hope. I sense that this...woman she is with is trying to break her and mold her into something else that she is not. She's not herself," he continued, his throat throbbing with the emotion he refused to let surface. "If we don't find her, soon...it may just be...too late."

With that he sat down once again, using the moment of quiet to gather himself and reorganize his thoughts. "Now, I'm an information smuggler, so it's my business to know things. I'm not sure where Shayla is--but!--if Thea can tell me, based on her connection with Shayla, what her surroundings look like, that just might be a start. I have some clues of my own, mostly based on feelings but they still might be something. All I know is that we can't waste anymore time..."

[ 09-29-2001 01:42 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Erik Kartan ]

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!

Posts: 447 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Aug 2001  |  Logged: 65.80.104.93
Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 09-29-2001 03:01 PM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I actually had thought she might have tried to talk me out of it.

Feeling a sudden emptiness which I knew to the very core of my being it was going to take something momentous to fill, I had then reached out and placed a light finger upon one particular button. The Bee rose gracefully on her repulsors, rotated 180 degrees about her Y-axis, and escaped into the star-filled void beyond.

In thus a manner I fled Pride of Yavin and Cella and my own promise to help her. The fact that I felt like some kind of traitor did not go far toward appeasing the pain which continued to grow inside of me. My bag of credits lay like the stones affixed to the feet of a hangman's victim; for a moment I thought of flinging them into the void as well. Then I sighed, and sat back, letting the Bee carry me to my suddenly lonely home.

The events which followed passed in a blur. I remember storming out of my little interceptor once safely docked inside Devil-May-Care, stomping to the bridge and keying in coordinates for ANYPLACE that simply WAS NOT HERE. Devil-May-Care responded with her usual obedient efficiency; in but moments we had shot into hyperdrive and were away.

((OOC: Follow Yaoksi to "Stranger Than Fiction" in the "Complete SW Universe" forum))

--------------------

Posts: 607 | From: Midwest | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 205.188.192.51
Erik Kartan

Member # 129

posted 09-29-2001 11:47 PM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Erik sat and listened quietly as Thea related to the adults that she really hadn't had much contact with Shayla for some time. Shayla was still there, on the other end of the link she and Thea shared, but she hadn't sent any "information" to Thea.

In short, Thea had no idea where she was.

Erik frowned, hoping that the little girl didn't think he was mad at her. "I know how you feel," he told her to make sure that she didn't feel bad about it. "I got some sort of vision with Shayla and some woman with violet eyes," he added, cringing. "But Shayla really hasn't given me any hints either."

As the four people sitting around the table sat in deep thought, Izzy, who had rolled in after the conference started and settled herself near Erik piped up, beeping something that souded rather scathing.

Erik motioned the purple and silver R2 unit over to him, and read the dialogue box someone had attached to her before she rolled in on the meeting.

He frowned at her. "What do you mean 'Well apparently Terrin Danner does'???"

Erik could hardly believe what scrolled across Izzy's screen next. Insulted that he hadn't listened to her the first time, she'd connected him to an underground memo that she'd run across...probably during a data dump and transfer on the Pride of Yavin.

"Blasted off a planet to go find Shayla Stargazer and made his little Moff pal mad, did he now?" Erik seethed. "We'll see about that."

Suddenly realizing he was talking to a droid and not the other members of the meeting, Erik turned, feeling a bit embarassed. That and plus he was trying to mentally drown out the raspberry that Izzy was bleeping at him, clearly irritated.

"Look, this Danner guy...might not know anything. If he does, I'm sure he doesn't know what he's getting into, and I'm certain he's going into it for the wrong reasons. But, as much as I don't like the guy, I think I should contact him, and find out what he knows."

That is, a little voice added inside Erik's head, if he has the nerve to tell you what he knows...

[ 09-29-2001 11:58 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Erik Kartan ]

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!

Cella Poliani

Member # 115

posted 09-30-2001 02:29 PM     Profile for Cella Poliani   Author's Homepage   Email Cella Poliani     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
(OOC: Sorry, Graysith! Ick. I didn't mean to do that. Will do any editing you desire.)
Posts: 76 | From: see Rogue Angel | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 172.137.9.108
Cella Poliani

Member # 115

posted 09-30-2001 02:43 PM     Profile for Cella Poliani   Author's Homepage   Email Cella Poliani     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Sitting around the conference table, Cella felt slightly sick. She was still reeling from the effects of the dark Force blast, and Jeroc seemed to be totally caught up in the words of this Erik Kartan. There was also something else.

I made a mistake. I made a big, fat Sith-spawned mistake. Back there on Devil-May-Care, I overstepped my bounds in the biggest way. I assumed Yaoksi wanted what I wanted. I basically commandeered his ship. Let's face it, Cella, you used the guy!

I let Yaoksi walk out of here. I didn't try to convince him to keep helping us. I was so damned caught up in Jeroc that I let him leave without trying to repay him--in any form or fashion. I never even said thank you. What kind of person am I? She wanted to find him. She wanted to chase him through the galaxy so she could admit her guilt and confess to him that she was a sorry excuse for a sentient.

But she had no right to do that. Yaoksi was a grown man and a free spirit. Chasing him down would be the worst thing she could possibly do. He already knew her faults, all too well.

Besides, Shayla needed her help urgently. Later, perhaps, would be the time to repay old debts. Now was the time to focus on their shared goal. She gripped Jeroc's hand beneath the table and listened intently to Erik.

Posts: 76 | From: see Rogue Angel | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 172.137.9.108
Erik Kartan

Member # 129

posted 09-30-2001 10:29 PM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Contacting Terrin Danner wouldn't be pleasant, but he was the only source of information on Shayla Erik had. He had no choice but to find the guy.

Like him or not, he may be your only hope.

Sithspawn! This could be a real problem!

Erik was about to voice that he thought they should try to contact Terrin right away, when something slammed into him.

There was that anger, yet again...

"I don't need anyone; I can take care of myself. To Hell with all the rest of you..."

Erik winced, a wave of nausea sweeping over him as he mentally heard the words.

He took a moment to gather his thoughts. Suddenly he knew it was now or never. "We have to do something, now," he insisted, gritting his teeth to shun the pain within. "Don't you guys feel it? Don't you understand the hurt she's going through?" he asked them. They looked at him blankly, as tears welled up in his eyes. "I've gotta find her, that's all there is to it. I'm going to contact Terrin Danner now.

"In the meantime...what do you intend to do to help Shayla?"

[ 09-30-2001 10:34 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Erik Kartan ]

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!

Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 10-01-2001 09:05 AM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Thea couldn't remember feeling so small in her life - she had come down with Jeroc to talk to them and try to help but she knew nothing they needed to know - and she didn't know how to get the info from Shayla. She was only too happy when Izzy took over center stage. As the others talked to Izzy and about her message Thea slipped to a chair on hte edge of the room and tried to talk to Shayla - tried to ask her for the info they needed - but all she felt in return was intense anger - and from looking at the others she could tell they had felt it too. She could see the man called Erik was starting to cry and almost without thinking she ran up to him and threw her arms around him to try and comfort him.

--------------------

A friend once told me "The Turtle Moves" I think we should all remember that right now...
Don't dance to live, live to dance!

Posts: 319 | From: Wandering the planet | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 193.52.64.54
Erik Kartan

Member # 129

posted 10-01-2001 09:25 AM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Erik wouldn't have expected it. He was, at the moment, so caught up in trying to figure out how he was ever going to find Shayla that the world around him had just frozen.

But she was a little girl--apparently one he'd somewhat underestimated. Her Force sensitivity, though probably untrained, still picked up on the urgency of the situation--he knew without a doubt she had been over in the corner trying to contact Shayla herself. He only hoped that in time Shayla would reply. In the meantime, he felt a little bad that so much weight had landed squarely on the shoulders of this little girl, and that she was probably feeling like she had somehow failed.

"Thea," he started, smiling the best he could for the moment. "This isn't your fault. I know you are doing the best that you can do. And don't stop trying. Shayla needs to know we still care," he explained, directing the last statement at everyone. "She needs to have a reason to hope. So, my question remains with you Jedi. What are you going to do to help Shayla Stargazer?"

Erik knew he'd asked the question twice. He didn't care. He wanted to make the demand very clear to the others, he didn't want to waste any time getting to Shayla, no matter the cost. Putting Thea down in the chair next to him and patting her briefly on the knee for reassurrance, Erik leaned forward, waiting for the Jedi reply...

[ 10-01-2001 10:54 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Erik Kartan ]

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!

Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 10-01-2001 12:20 PM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Erik's words of reassurance were quite effectual as Thea was able to immediately relax when he set her down - in fact it wasn't until she was in the chair that she realized her feet had been off the ground. She had been so upset she had lost touch with her surroundings besides the man who's intense love for Shayla she could hear in his voice. To Thea it was as if he was trying to wrap her in a protective shield until they got there using just the tone of his voice. She followed his gaze to the Jedi as he asked his final question and waited for their response. But before they could get a word out she heard something else - someone else talking directly to her. She bolted upright, "Shayla!" Everyone in the room turned to stare at her - Thea hadn't even realized she had shout out her name so loudly. "She says she's ok - that she's safe where she is. But she also says she can't tell me where she is - not now, she didn't say why." Thea collapsed back in her chair - at least she knew that Shayla had heard her - but why wouldn't she respond? Thea wasn't sure what to make of it but she thought that if she got a chance to talk to Cella alone later she might be able to help her figure out what she can do to find out more for them.

--------------------

A friend once told me "The Turtle Moves" I think we should all remember that right now...
Don't dance to live, live to dance!

Posts: 319 | From: Wandering the planet | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 193.52.64.54
Erik Kartan

Member # 129

posted 10-01-2001 12:59 PM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
How can she possibly think she's allright? Erik wondered, his mind spinning with Thea's proclamation that Shayla had made some sort of contact with her.

Shifting his gaze from the Jedi to the little girl...back and forth...he pondered what to make of this.

She doesn't think there's anything wrong... The reality of the situation slammed into Erik, causing the nausea he'd previously felt with her Force-driven anger to surface again.

He felt sick. Terribly sick. Not sickness of the physical nature, or even of the mind. This was a sickness of the heart; He felt as though someone had ripped it out of his chest, stomped on it, and replaced it, torn and bruised.

"Look," he finally managed, his words coming out with difficulty as he forced himself to direct attention back to the Jedi. "you need to find out what, in your power, you can do to help me find Shayla. Meanwhile, I'll do what I can at this moment. I'll be back shortly," he said, standing up and suddenly not caring what the people in the room around him did, "I'm going to make contact with Terrin Danner."

With that, Erik hurried out of the room, leaving the Jedi to wonder...

And to think...

[ 10-01-2001 04:35 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Erik Kartan ]

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!

Posts: 447 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Aug 2001  |  Logged: 139.62.161.246
Erik Kartan

Member # 129

posted 10-01-2001 11:37 PM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
As Erik hurried to his office, Izzy rolled out of the conference area behind him, sqwauking at him the whole way there. He plopped down in his desk chair.

Then it hit him. "Sithspawn! I don't have Terrin Danner's comm frequency!"

Izzy let out a fast upward scale.

"You have it, don't you?" he quizzed, eyeing the little silver and purple R2 unit. In response, she rolled over to Erik so he could see the dialogue box that was still connected to her, hanging on her front. He held it up with his right hand so he could see the letters that were scrolling across the screen as she bleeped away.

"Thanks, you're a lifesaver," he told her, scribbling the numbers down with a writing utensil that had been sitting there on the top of his desk.

She warbled something that sounded an awful lot like "I know."

"Okay, girl, here we go. I'd say cross your fingers, but you don't have any, so all I can say is hope he'll talk."

With that, Erik punched the frequency into his office comm and waited for someone to pick up.

"This is Eagle Enterprises. I'm sorry but Terrin Danner cannot answer your call right now. If you wish, you may leave your name, comm frequency, and a brief message, and he'll get back with you as soon as he can."

Kriffing voice-comms! Very well then. Leave him a message, see if he actually dares to answer the call.

"Terrin, this is Erik Kartan. I need to speak with you concerning Shayla Stargazer. My frequency is 06071979. Please call me back as soon as possible."

With that, Erik closed the connection. Now, he could only sit and wait.

And hope to goodness Terrin actually returned his call...

[ 10-01-2001 11:40 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Erik Kartan ]

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!

All times are CT
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05