my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
»  The Holonet Boards   » Role Playing   » Empire and New Republic   » Three Parsecs from Ambria: Rendezvous on a Rogue Moon (Page 3)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 

Printable Version
Author Topic: Three Parsecs from Ambria: Rendezvous on a Rogue Moon
Rogue Angel

Jedi Knight

Member # 33

posted 10-16-2001 03:40 PM     Profile for Rogue Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Rogue Angel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Erik's words had a surprising impact on Jeroc. He hadn't realized how detached from this mission he'd become, how he'd started thinking of it as a task instead of an act of love. Shayla had become an abstraction instead of a feeling, thinking person. Making people into something other than people...that too, approaches darkness,he realized.

"Erik, I didn't know Shayla well, but I held her in great regard. I respected her for returning to the Praxeum in spite of disappointments in the past."

Cella squeezed his hand, spoke into the comm. "She and I would have been fast friends, I think. I sensed her dedication, her integrity. And still, I gave up on her too easily. Thank you for reminding me of that, Erik."

Jeroc continued, "We musn't give up hope. If we can remind her that we love her and have faith in her...it may be just what we need to bring her back."

Cella filled in the awkward pause. "We're with you all the way, Erik. We won't forget that you committed your fleet to us when it looked like there'd be a fight. For my part, I'd like to repay that good faith."

--------------------

"Is that a lightsaber in your pocket or are ya just happy to see me?"

Posts: 357 | From: Mississippi, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 216.229.193.150
Erik Kartan

Corellian Info Smuggler and Pilot

Member # 129

posted 10-17-2001 10:58 PM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"The members of my crew would want nothing else but to be on this mission to look for Shayla," Erik said.

He might have added more to that, but suddenly a message indicator popped up on his computer monitor. In only a standard second, he'd downloaded the message, and, after glancing at the first line, Erik knew that the Jedi would have a special interest in this.

"By the way," he started, "I've just received an urgent message here. Seems your padawan, Master Mahoy, was too caught up in saving Shayla on his own to notice the onboard tracking system. He's landed the stolen A-wing..."

Erik's words dropped off a moment, a chill tunning up his spine as his eye caught the planet on which the fighter was located. "His Force premonitions might be a bit better than suspected as well. It seems he has landed...on Khar Delba..."

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!
My heart is broken....sweet sleep my Dark Angel... Evanescence, "My Heart is Broken"

Posts: 447 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Aug 2001  |  Logged: 66.20.157.210
Rogue Angel

Jedi Knight

Member # 33

posted 10-18-2001 03:21 PM     Profile for Rogue Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Rogue Angel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Jeroc and Cella looked at each other in horror. Cella was the first to speak. "Khar Delba? That's where we're headed. That means..."

"It means he's in a galaxy of trouble." Jeroc pressed his lips together firmly, trying to stifle his overwhelming worry. "More than he knows. I can but hope that his foolishness doesn't prevent us from reaching Shayla. Thanks very much for the update, Erik, and we'll keep in touch with you. Mahoy out."

Time for some lightsaber practice, he thought at Cella.

Later, maybe. I'd like to see what Thea's up to first, she replied.

--------------------

Posts: 357 | From: Mississippi, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 216.229.193.150
Erik Kartan

Member # 129

posted 10-18-2001 10:41 PM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
As the connection was broken, Erik stood up from his desk chair and began pacing back and forth in his small office. He needed to think some things through now, while he still had the chance.

If Shayla was on Khar Delba, as everything seemed to confirm, that changed things. A lot.

Erik was tempted to, upon arrival at K'eel Doba, take the Lioness and go to Khar Delba to look for Shayla himself. Perhaps if he acted swiftly and surely, she would understand how very much he loved her.

But one thing was left to consider. Although proving his love to Shayla was important, he didn't want to jepordize Terrin's mission to the Sith Temple to retreive the Nar Khelba.

Wait a minute...the Nar Khelba...a weapon that could kill a Force user and destroy his or her soul...

The Nar Khelba had been the solution to saving Shayla when everyone believed she was a captive...

But now that the likelyhood of her being in captivity had diminished significantly...

Erik stopped pacing and turned towards his desk and the large view window that was behind it, observing the white blur of hyperspace as a new possibility occurred to him.

If Shayla was being taught by this Sith, and truly viewed her as a mentor, she might not take too well to someone busting in and trying to kill her...

Beginning to pace once again, a deep frown crossed the dark features of Erik Kartan's face.

Terrin Danner's crew might be in more danger than they realized...

He'd have to let them know about this new possibility, at the risk of scaring them away from the mission.

If this scared them off, he would DEFINITELY go down and find Shayla himself. That might, after all, be the best solution regardless.

Shayla was already drifting away from the Jedi, possibly angry at them because they had left her with a captor when she had wanted to be saved and also probably certain they would try to talk her out of what she had now taken as truth. Now that Logan had pushed his way into the picture and gone galavanting to Khar Delba on his own, matters would become even more complicated. If Logan tried to turn Shayla back on his own, that could turn her away from the Jedi even more and make things really ugly.

He needed to get to her, NOW. Before everything was hopelessly lost.

Erik wasn't bothered so much that Shayla was turning from the Jedi and somehow knew that he couldn't change that and shouldn't even dare to do so. He wasn't sure that the Jedi understood this, and worried that they might try to tip Shayla into changing her new-found beliefs rather than merely showing her that they did care.

That, not saving a Praxeum student, was the object of this mission.

Stopping dead in his tracks, Erik suddenly and quite naturally came to a conclusion, albeit a quickly made one based solely on the emotions within him.

He loved Shayla. He'd let her go off to the Praxeum without letting her know, and he wouldn't let her go a second time. Neither was he going to sit around and wait any longer than necessary.

Be it action driven by pure emotion or not, Erik knew it was the right one. If the Jedi wanted to wait til the Nar Khelba was found, that was their choice. But his mind was made up.

When he arrived at K'eel Doba, he would be off to seek Shayla out...

...alone, if necessary...

[ 10-18-2001 11:21 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Erik Kartan ]

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!
My heart is broken....sweet sleep my Dark Angel... Evanescence, "My Heart is Broken"

Posts: 447 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Aug 2001  |  Logged: 66.20.157.210
Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 10-22-2001 08:56 AM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Something sudden and almost painful hit Thea - she had been trying to reach Logan - just to make sure he was alright but it didn't seem to be working, at least he didn't answer her. Then she felt the pain - she wasn't sure where it came from or how but she knew it was Logan. Just then Cella walked in. Thea ran over to her and threw her arms around her frightened, "She hurt Logan, the lady who's got Shayla, she hurt him, I don't know how but she did."

--------------------

A friend once told me "The Turtle Moves" I think we should all remember that right now...
Don't dance to live, live to dance!

Posts: 319 | From: Wandering the planet | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 193.52.64.54
Cella Poliani

Member # 115

posted 10-22-2001 06:44 PM     Profile for Cella Poliani   Author's Homepage   Email Cella Poliani     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Yes, Cella most definitely felt what had happened to Logan, and it made her ill. Impulsive and reckless he might be, but she loved him, and his pain and confusion knifed through her. Don't do that to him! she wanted to cry. If you have a shred of mercy and pity left in you, just let that boy come back here.

Crimson skies, who was she kidding? Logan was going to die.

Numbly, Cella pulled Thea closer and spoke false and dull-sounding words of comfort. "It'll be all right, there now. I'll be able to help Logan soon, I hope."

Jeroc? she enquired of her faithful partner. I think it's time for that saber practice you talked about earlier.

Right, came the reply.

Cella bent down to be on Thea's level. "Would you like to watch me and Jeroc practice duel?" She sensed a little nervousness in the girl, and she added, "No one will get hurt. It's just for practice. Come on, I think you'll really like it." Not to mention that I really, really, don't want to leave you alone anymore...not even on the Pride...

She took the girl's hand and led her to the hold of the Pride, where she and Jeroc usually practiced.

Posts: 76 | From: see Rogue Angel | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 172.145.36.115
Rogue Angel

Jedi Knight

Member # 33

posted 10-22-2001 07:30 PM     Profile for Rogue Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Rogue Angel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Moments later, Jeroc stood facing Cella in the specially modified hold of the Pride. Cargo holds in yachts like this usually just contained vacuum, but Cella had walled off this small section and atmospherized it for use as a practice room.

Thea sat with her back to the bulkhead, not far from the two Jedi. Cella turned back to her with a grin, and Jeroc realized just how beautiful her smile was. "Enjoy, okay?" she called, and the little girl nodded.

Then it began. The two Jedi drew their lightsabers almost simultaneously. Jeroc began with a swift, pressing attack, then Cella quickly turned the tables on him, turning her solid defense on Jeroc. There was competition there, but not much, and by mutual agreement this was not a heated duel, more dance than blood sport.

Jeroc parried deftly as he and Cella shared a conversation inaudible to Thea. There were some things definitely unfit for her young ears. What do you think of this Nar Khelba?

Dangerous, Cella replied instantly as she shielded herself from another offensive from Jeroc. Not only to the Dark User, but to us. And I sense some definite anti-Jedi sentiment here.

From Erik or from Terrin Danner? Jeroc wanted to know. It was always good to get Cella's perspective on a situation.

Both, I think. I know Erik is rather disenchanted with Jedi, and especially with us, since we didn't act quickly to save Shayla. Cella winced almost imperceptibly.

Jeroc squared his shoulders, blocking a strike at his right pectoral from Cella. That's mostly my fault for not relying on raw Force sense. But we must agree that Whoever had her, and has her, wants her badly enough to cloak her very effectively.

I know Erik wants us as part of his team...but I can tell he's doubtful that we can help him. If only I could show him that we haven't set ourselves up as invincible heroes of the Force or some such holovid trash. Cella whistled as Jeroc's scarlet blade came perilously close to her ear.

First thing is to be friendlier, sweet, Jeroc reminded her, laughing at her dismay and easily warding off her petulant counterattack. Let's not assume anti-Jedi sentiment until we actually hear some. And as to the Nar Khelba...well, I hope it won't get to the point where it's used against us.

A small tear welled up in Cella's eye. I don't fear death...but never being able to talk to you? Never being able to offer Logan guidance? I fear that.

Such a powerful weapon can easily be turned. But it would be better to leave the matter of the Nar Khelba in Erik and Terrin's hands. It would be a good show of trust, Jeroc replied.

Trust that I hope is justified, Cella murmured softly.

Trust that I know is justified. Erik is a good man, Jeroc replied staunchly.

Cella nodded. Yes, but men have been known to do mad things for the women they love. What if this Sith were to offer him Shayla back...on the condition that he use the Nar Khelba on us?

Never. And the Sith is no longer in a position to do what she will with Shayla. I'm more afraid that Shayla herself will make that demand out of her contempt for us.

Things to keep in mind, Cella hummed quietly. But not to brood over. Shayla, if only I could talk to you!

Finally, with almost ceremonial propriety, the two Jedi withdrew their lightsabers. Cella bowed first, Jeroc having gotten the better of her. Their eyes met, and she felt him reaching out to reassure her. His presence was comforting, but it just barely eased her worry...

--------------------

Posts: 357 | From: Mississippi, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 172.141.78.26
Erik Kartan

Member # 129

posted 10-22-2001 11:19 PM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
If there was even the slightest possibility of Erik taking the Lioness to Khar Delba, he wanted to make sure the ship was ready. Although he knew it was, Erik still needed to check it out for himself, just to make sure everything was in top shape.

If not, there would be Hell to pay, he thought, grinning to himself as he wandered to the Stargazer's hanger bay. On the first hyperspace jump to Ambria, his personal ship had been flown with the fleet, but on this second jump to K'eel Doba it had been parked in the hanger bay to be refueled and serviced, just in case Erik did need it.

And thank goodness they'd had the foresight to do so.

He entered the hanger bay only half-aware of the world around him, his mind drifting back to memories of past missions and cargo drop-offs with Shayla at his side. He smiled at the thought of her, but then sobered as the reality hit him that things weren't going to be the same even if he did get her back.

And he'd just have to accept that, and trust her. She'd never require him to comprimise what he believed to be with her...she hadn't when she returned to the Praxeum and he'd chosen to stay behind...she wouldn't now. So he should return the same courtesy.

As he approached the hatchway of the Lioness, Erik reached up to key the release code when he saw a purple and silver freighter out of the corner of his eye. He turned and walked to the Starlight, noting that someone had washed it and even given it a good polish, causing the coat of the little ship to glow. Sighing, he brushed a hand against the clean surface of the freighter. Someone had done some really nice work, and Erik wondered if they'd done the same on the inside.

Probably so.

Shayla would be pleased, he mused sentimentally.

Returning to his own white and blue YT-1300, Erik realized that someone had taken the same care with his ship.

Been a long time since you've been afforded such special treatment, ole gal, he thought, a grin again pulling at the corners of his lips. After the hatchway was unlocked, the plank extended downward and Erik entered the ship, heading for the cabin. Sitting the pilot's chair, he punched a few buttons, warming up the engine of the Lioness.

Purring like a kitten.

Erik then turned his attention to various other controls. Hyperdrive had been serviced, weapons were online, torps loaded and laser cannons charged to maximum efficiency.

Navboard switches...all operational.

Life support, replenshed one-hundred percent, sustaining systems, recharged and refurbished...

Heck...the NAVBOARD has even been cleaned and repaired! Someone really wanted their pay to be good.

They won't be disappointed, Erik thought. The Lioness was more than ready for any trip that laid ahead...

Erik frowned momentarily as a little voice in his head added, But are YOU?

[ 10-23-2001 12:16 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Erik Kartan ]

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!

Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 10-23-2001 12:33 PM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Cella's words really calmed Thea - she always felt better after spending time with the Jedi, and then thier practice session. Thea had never watched anything so spectacular before in her life!! She was comepletely in awe at what the Jedi could do and she smiled to her self at the thought that if she really worked hard that could be her too. As the Jedi bowed to each other she got up and skipped over to hug them both and tell them how great they looked, that she was sure they could help Logan and Shayla. She was completely calm again now and she hugged them both - she couldn't be happier that her parents agreed to let her go to the Praxeum!

--------------------

A friend once told me "The Turtle Moves" I think we should all remember that right now...

Posts: 319 | From: Wandering the planet | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 193.52.64.54
Erik Kartan

Member # 129

posted 10-26-2001 11:50 PM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Erik had just made it back into his office when his comm unit went buzzing.

Never a dull moment in the information smuggling business.

Sitting down in his desk chair Erik punched the receive button and answered, "Erik Kartan of Stargazer Corporation, how may I help you?"

"Erik, Terrin Danner. I need you to gather up some more information for me."

Jeez, after all this was said and done Terrin would owe him more than he would owe Terrin.

Then again, the x-wing squadron that Erik had promised to buy in return for Terrin's help was more of a business venture, so really this was more of a truce, a mutual agreement to help each other out.

Besides, Terrin and his group are going into the mouth of the Lion, not you.

At least, that wasn't what they had planned on.

"Yeah, what do you need?" Erik finally asked.

Terrin seemed to hesitate a bit, possibly thrown by Erik's slow reply to his request. "I need to know what planets vonskyrs can be found on, and more specifically, if they can be found on Khar Delba."

"Okay," Erik replied, punching in some stuff on his computer keypad. "The information is headed your way. Incidentally, what is all this with ysalamiri and vonskyrs?"

"Well," Terrin answered, "Originally we were thinking the ysalamiri might shield us from the Force-powers of the Sith who was last seen with this Nar Khelba. After a bit of thought we realized that the ysalamiri don't affect these Sith at all since there's enough of the critters on the surface of Khar Delba to place a bubble around the whole Temple there. So we then reasoned that the vonskyrs, if they are on planet, might be more helpful if we could capture one since they hunt down Force-users."

Erik nodded thoughtfully. "You'd best be careful. Remember Shayla is a Force-user too, and I don't want her hurt."

"Well, we believe that maybe the vonskyrs on this planet specifically hunt out Dark Users," Terrin explained.

Erik frowned as a thought occurred to him. Shayla has been pretty dark a time or two lately herself.

Finally, some information appeared on the monitor of his computer. "You're in luck," Erik informed him, "Vonskyrs are only found native on two planets. Myrkr...and Khar Delba."

"Good," Terrin said, seeming to sigh in relief. "Sorry to keep bothering you like this."

"Oh, it's alright," Erik replied. "Finding the Nar Khelba and taking it from Dark Users who might misuse it is a worthy enough cause for you to contact me at any time."

Terrin arched an eyebrow on the other end of the frequency, wondering if Erik was questioning whether or not the Jedi should use the Nar Khelba. But he'd address that later, the point was valid nonetheless. A weapon like the Nar Khelba was a nasty one for a bunch of Sith to have easy access to.
"Okay, thanks," he said instead. "Terrin Danner out."

[ 10-27-2001 12:00 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Erik Kartan ]

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!

Erik Kartan

Member # 129

posted 10-27-2001 12:01 PM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Something was happening, Erik just knew it.

Waves of terror...from someone...

From Shayla...inner turmoil again raging within...

What was this that she struggled with so deeply that she could not mantain equilibrium? And why did it seem that the reverse of what he had been taught appeared to be true with her situation?

For when she the allowed her emotion to battle within, that was when she seemed to fail. When she let the emotion within JUST BE...that was when she was able to control it. Or was she controlling the emotion at all? How was it that she was able to achieve true calmness only when she allowed the feelings within her just to exist?

Was the emotion controlling her or was she controlling the emotion? Or was it something else that he could not yet understand?

Frowning, he reached out to Force-touch her, something he had not dared to do since she had so blatantly pushed him away. Her touch in return was that of utter calm...sweet, reassuring, yet even more so something else...

Right then Erik knew they must proceed with great caution. He sensed the change in Shayla and felt her becoming more aware of herself...the Good and the Bad in her somehow combined to create something greater than anyone here might ever understand.

He sensed she needed time and would respond negatively if she was not allowed such. Even so, he felt he must go to her if only to let her know how she felt. But the decision on Shayla's next move he would allow to remain in her hands alone, as it always should have been.

Then a silent scream of horror from another interrupted his thoughts...

[ 10-27-2001 12:01 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Erik Kartan ]

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!

Cella Poliani

Member # 115

posted 10-27-2001 05:20 PM     Profile for Cella Poliani   Author's Homepage   Email Cella Poliani     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Once more, Cella Poliani was wakened against her will by a terror in the night. Logan's Force sense had been growing fainter and fainter, and she and Jeroc had begun to despair of him...but what she knew now was far worse.

Logan was here on the Pride of Yavin...and horribly hurt.

All thumping heart and fast feet, Cella ran from her cabin with Jeroc hot on her heels. Bringing her powers to bear, she sensed him in the living quarters and headed there as fast as she could. There, on the cold metal deck, lay the pale form of Logan Murroe, only faintly breathing.

Cella knelt beside him, tears pooling in her eyes. Logan's own onyx ones were staring straight ahead, not seeing either Jeroc or Cella next to him. Frantically, she reached for his wrist, felt a small but discernible pulse there. "Logan, Logan, what happened?" she cried.

His lips, blue with cold, moved slowly, but no words came out. Jeroc put a hand on Cella's shoulder. "He's terribly weak, Cella. Let's get him to the med unit right away." In a matter of seconds, Logan's weak body lay in the Pride's sophisticated med unit. For a long time, Cella couldn't speak. Then she voiced the only question she could think of.

"Jeroc, who would do this to him? And why?"

Jeroc pressed his lips together, and Cella could feel his great grief and pain. "Impulsive he may be, but his intentions were pure. I can only imagine how powerful this Sith was, to have accomplished a feat like this..."

Cella tried to reach gently into Logan's fevered brain and ran straight into a swirl of dark emotions.

Shayla didn't stop them. He had come to save his friend to find that she was no longer the person she once was. She had taken this Sith as her teacher and she wanted no part of Logan...or of Cella and Jeroc. Logan grieved for Shayla even while he was furious with her. He had waited too long, they had all waited too long, they had doomed Shayla...

Cella withdrew from Logan's mind, breathing hard. Jeroc, something's gone terribly wrong...

Posts: 76 | From: see Rogue Angel | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 172.143.133.66
Erik Kartan

Member # 129

posted 10-27-2001 08:06 PM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Disturbed by the terror and confusion pulsating from somewhere close by, Erik did the one thing he knew he could to find out what, if anything, was amiss.

Momentarily he reached back to Shayla wondering if she had anything to do with this.

No, she was still calm...probably even sleeping...

Keying in the comm frequency for the Pride of Yavin, Erik awaited a reply. After a few minutes of calling with no answer, he was about to give it up and wait until later when at last Jedi Master Mahoy's voice crackled over the frequency.

Erik frowned, trying to put into words what he was feeling. "I...sense a strange disturbance in the Force. I get nothing but calm from Shayla. Since this seems to all be very close to me, I wanted to check in with you...

...is there something the matter?"

[ 10-27-2001 08:08 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Erik Kartan ]

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!

Rogue Angel

Jedi Knight

Member # 33

posted 10-28-2001 03:01 PM     Profile for Rogue Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Rogue Angel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Jeroc took a deep breath. "Erik, Logan's back on the Pride. Except he hasn't returned in the, ah, traditional manner. One minute he was there...and now he's here. No trace of the A-wing. I believe that Logan was flung through space by some unimaginably powerful feat of the Force. He's being treated in the med unit now, and he should be fine in a little while."

"From what Cella can glean from him, he did indeed go to Khar Delba and make contact with Shayla. It also looks like he had a brush with two Sith...who Shayla acknowledges as teachers. He will be able to tell us the whole story himself in a few minutes."

Jeroc shook his head. "Logan did not deserve this, impulsive though he might have been. It's a mercy he survived this encounter." Expectantly, he awaited a reply from Erik.

[ 10-29-2001 06:55 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Rogue Angel ]

--------------------

Posts: 357 | From: Mississippi, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 172.150.238.37
Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 10-29-2001 09:23 AM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Thea stood outside the med lab - peering in the door at Logan she didn't want to distub the Jedi but she wanted to be with him all the same. She stood quiet as she could, not even knowing if the Jedi knew she was there - just watching - worried about her friend.

--------------------

Erik Kartan

Member # 129

posted 10-29-2001 08:49 PM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
In the seriousness of the situation, Erik forced back the urge to blurt out "Hey! Where's my A-wing?!" He'd get back to that little issue later, when Logan could tell him exactly what happened to the fighter.

But for now, there were other things to address. Lots of other things to address.

What exactly did "made contact with Shayla" mean, for instance? And the Sith thing? How should he take that? And even more pertinent, how was Erik supposed to interpret "Logan did not deserve this"? As though he would somehow believe that Logan DID deserve this? And what was "this" anyway?

Erik cleared his throat. "Well, the important thing is that we have him back, in tact..."

Nevermind your A-wing that is NOT back, and might not even be in tact any longer for all you know...

"Things could have been a lot worse. As for what sort of contact Logan had with Shayla and her taking the Sith as Teachers, I don't want to jump to any conclusions until I know exactly what transpired."

He paused, calculating how he was going to explain what he wanted to tell Jeroc.

"The truth is, the last time I was in contact with Shayla--a few mere minutes ago, since I thought the terror and confusion might be somehow related to her--she was completely calm. She even reached back to me this time, and that's not something she has been very willing to do in quite a while. I wonder what exactly she is learning where she is...

"So, if you don't mind...when Logan feels up to it, I'd like to talk to him myself..."

[ 10-29-2001 08:51 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Erik Kartan ]

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!

Rogue Angel

Jedi Knight

Member # 33

posted 10-29-2001 09:15 PM     Profile for Rogue Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Rogue Angel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Jeroc nodded. "Absolutely, Erik. I'll have him on the comm to you as soon as he's able. We're glad that Shayla seems to be responding to you, but like you, we do wonder what it all means. Hopefully Logan will be able to shed some light on the situation. Mahoy out."

--------------------

Posts: 357 | From: Mississippi, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 172.144.190.61
Erik Kartan

Member # 129

posted 10-30-2001 12:49 AM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
As the connection went dead Erik yawned, suddenly feeling really sleepy.

What time was it anyway?

He knew he was tired, but he'd figured that was because he hadn't really slept very well in at least two or three days. And that was catching up with him. Erik glanced at his wrist chrono, and discovered that it was really much later than he thought.

Entirely too late to be sitting in a cramped office.

Slowly he stood, stretched, and headed for his quarters onboard the Stargazer. In only a few minutes he was in bed with the lights dimmed, his comlink nearby should anyone from the Pride of Yavin, or anywhere else for that matter, try to contact him.

He really just needed to sleep.

Eyelids feeling heavy, Erik closed his eyes and awaited sleep to come, hoping for just once he could get a solid night of rest. In minutes...maybe moments...he was gone, far beyond the Universe of reality based on one's perceptions into the Universe of perceptions based on one's reality...

She stood a few meters away from him, her blonde hair blowing in the breeze, both of them suspended in blackness, in a place where time seemed to be frozen and all was at peace. Even in the darkness, he could make out the contour of her face and somehow see her. Maybe it was the strength in her presence...

The fire in her eyes?

Feeling drawn to her, Erik began to step forward even though nothing was below for him to walk upon. His feet hit ground and his step of faith moved him forward, closer to her. She did not move, but even so she seemed to be beckoning him to proceed to her. In mere moments he was very close to where she stood, and she seemed to wish him to stop. Reluctanctly he did so, all the while longing to step closer and take her in his arms.

Gracefully she extended her right hand out, her palm up. In turn, he reached out his own right hand palm down and gently laid his hand atop hers.

Her touch was electric.

Hundreds of emotions swirled between the two of them and somehow met together to form something Erik couldn't comprehend, something far greater than the sum of its individual parts...

Love, hate.

Joy, sorrow.

Courage, fear.

Anger, sadness.

Certainity, uncertainity.

But above all else, fire and passion.

The very essence of her felt so strong, so bright, so sure. Every emotion was etched within her, each one somehow cherished for what it was and nothing else.

He didn't understand, and he didn't have to understand. Before he was aware of the moves he made, she was in his arms and his lips were touching hers.

Nothing in the Universe mattered but him and her, and there was no other way Erik wanted things to be.

Even in the depths of sleep, Erik knew she felt this too.

And a little voice whispered somewhere deep within the fabric of time...

Soon...

[ 10-30-2001 01:04 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Erik Kartan ]

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!

Rogue Angel

Jedi Knight

Member # 33

posted 10-30-2001 04:25 PM     Profile for Rogue Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Rogue Angel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
A few hours after his reappearance on the Pride of Yavin, Logan Murroe was fully recovered from his shock. He'd told the story of his time on Khar Delba to Cella and Jeroc. Frightening as it was, they seemed calm about it...but Logan suspected they didn't know what to make of the situation yet.

Now, fed and rested, he carefully opened a comm channel to the Stargazer. Jeroc and Cella had asked him to contact Erik when he felt ready, since Erik wanted to talk to him about Shayla. Logan was a little nervous about talking to the man--after all, he'd stolen one of his A-wings and gotten it destroyed--but he figured he couldn't be afraid of Erik after what he'd just face.

Logan took a deep breath. "Captain Kartan, this is Logan Murroe reporting in. Jeroc and Cella said you wished to talk to me?"

--------------------

Posts: 357 | From: Mississippi, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 216.229.221.254
Erik Kartan

Member # 129

posted 10-30-2001 08:02 PM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Erik had just arrived in his office when Logan's call came through.

"Jeroc and Cella said you wished to talk to me?" the young man asked.

A thousand questions formed in Erik's head in less than a second. This padawan had just been with Shayla, had been able to talk to her, had seen her face to face. Erik wanted to know everything, but he settled on one simple question, however difficult the answer may be.

"Yeah, I wanted to know about Shayla. You've had the chance to be with her, so I was just wanting to know..."

He paused, knowing he probably would sound like a sap but not caring. "How is she?"

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!

Posts: 447 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Aug 2001  |  Logged: 66.20.156.114
Rogue Angel

Jedi Knight

Member # 33

posted 10-31-2001 08:05 PM     Profile for Rogue Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Rogue Angel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Logan gulped. "Physically, Captain Kartan, she looked completely okay. When I arrived there, the Sith Lady had two Noghri and some vicious pet of hers bring me to this Sith Temple. I saw Shayla, and the sight of me didn't seem to ruffle her at all. She was almost frighteningly calm."

"And she doesn't want to leave. Some of the impressions I got from her were confusing...but the one thing I'm absolutely sure of is that Shayla likes it where she is and doesn't want to go. Frankly, it scared me and still does." Logan sighed. "Maybe you can help me make something of this."

--------------------

Posts: 357 | From: Mississippi, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 172.150.77.211
Erik Kartan

Member # 129

posted 10-31-2001 09:43 PM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Three words stuck out to Erik.

"...almost frighteningly calm."

Why did he get the unnerving suspicion that if the Jedi suspected Shayla was quite happy where she was that they would duck and run?

Then again, they'd stayed with him so far, hopefully they wouldn't choose now to change their minds.

After all, they were so close to her...

"Logan, I can't say that I know anymore about what Shayla is learning and why she wants to stay on Khar Delba than you or the Jedi would. What I do know is that I want to find out what is going on directly from Shayla, to the point that I'm willing to go down to that Temple myself and find her.

"There's just..." How do you explain something like this? Erik wondered, quieting a moment, "I just don't I sense anything about her that waves big red flags in my mind. I still trust her, Logan. She's a woman of great conviction and personality and I don't see her bending to just anyone's will."

Okay, NOW you are preaching again.

"You say she wasn't ruffled by your presence...I don't know what you quite mean. After all, she might have known you were coming."

This kid is not telling you something, a menacing little voice taunted.

Erik had to ask this one final question.

"When you arrived at the Temple, and saw Shayla, what transpired? Was there always someone else present, or was there any point when you and Shayla interacted alone? If so, I'd like to know what happened."

Erik paused only to hear silence.

"Logan?"

The young man cleared his throat nervously, and began to speak...

[ 10-31-2001 10:12 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Erik Kartan ]

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!

Posts: 447 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Aug 2001  |  Logged: 66.20.156.114
Erik Kartan

Member # 129

posted 11-01-2001 11:04 PM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
As Logan started to reply, Erik noticed a red light beeping on his comm unit.

Incomming comm. Why did he have the feeling he knew who this was?

He interrupted the young padawan, feeling the immediate need to find out who was comming him. "Logan, hang on a minute or two. I have an incoming comm on another frequency. I'll be right back."

Without waiting for a reply from the kid, he switched over to the other frequency.

"Erik Kartan of Stargazer Corporation, how may I help you?"

The other person seemed hesitant. "Erik, Terrin Danner."

Just as I suspected. "What do you need, Terrin?" he asked instead.

"Well, I've mentioned before that once we retreive the Nar Khelba, the only way to use it is to place it in a lightsaber. To make a long story short, we don't have one of those. I need your or the Jedi's help."

Erik knew exactly where this was going. He just wasn't sure of what to do about it. He knew that Terrin had some employee who had an important reason to face off this Sith, but now things were different. Now Shayla...

Oh, Sithspawn. You forgot the tiny detail that Shayla might not want to be "saved" anymore. And these people are headed to Khar Delba to do exactly that.

"Erik, you there?" Terrin questioned.

"Uhhh, yeah. I think we need to have a talk, Terrin. Seems Shayla is taking lessons from this Sith. Seems she views her as a Teacher now. I don't know about us charging in trying to kill this woman if Shayla has such ties to her."

Terrin could have hit the roof of the Eagle.

He and his associates had come this far, expended this much time and energy...FOR WHAT??? To find out that the person they thought they were going to save didn't WANT to be saved? What the hell was this guy thinking?

Then, as the anger faded just a bit, something else came to mind.

This wasn't about just Shayla. In fact, she was just a small portion of the reason they were headed for Khar Delba at all.

This was for Galen too.

But this time was Erik's turn to wonder if Terrin was still on the other end of the comm. "Terrin, I'm sorry. I don't know what we should do about the Nar Khelba yet. I agree that it should probably NOT be in the hands of a bunch of Sith.

"So...if it's that important for you to find it, then find it you must."

Erik paused, knowing exactly what he needed to do to make this right. "If you look for the Nar Khelba," Erik started, sorting things through, "I'll take care of finding Shayla."

He didn't like what was going through his head, not one bit. He knew there was something more to what Shayla was learning than they all understood, but he also knew he'd made a promise.

And he'd keep it.

Terrin still hadn't uttered a word, and Erik suspected he thought that he was about to back out.

"If you should find the Nar Khelba, we'll make sure you have the lightsaber to make the weapon useful, one way or the other. I'll talk it over with the Jedi."

"All right," Terrin said a little stiffly. "You do that. My crew and I will be at Khar Delba in somewhere around six hours. Are you still on schedule to K'eel Doba?"

"Yes," Erik replied. "Eleven hours, or thereabouts. I'll leave immediately once we revert to realspace, with or without the Jedi, for Khar Delba. Since we seem to be headed for the same place--I guess I'll meet you and your associates there."

"Yeah," Terrin muttered, "We'll see."

He was clearly put out, not that Erik really blamed him. Terrin had after all sacrificed a lot to do this, and Erik wouldn't forget that.

"You have my word on that, Terrin," Erik promised. "And if you want, we can even meet up before you go down, although I'd be at least about nine hours behind you. Your call."

Terrin seemed to consider this, and when he responded his voice reflected the fact that he'd calmed down quite a bit. "I'll talk to my team about that, but I think we'll go on down to the surface and await your arrival. I don't think there are many places to go on the planet, and certainly we will all be heading in the same direction. If we decide otherwise, I'll be in contact. If not, in person on Khar Delba."

Erik nodded. "Got it. Kartan out."

With that, he flipped the switch back to Logan's frequency.

"Logan? You still there? Now tell me, did you have any time with Shayla alone? I must know, Logan, it's getting more and more important that I do with every moment..."

[ 11-01-2001 11:07 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Erik Kartan ]

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!

Rogue Angel

Jedi Knight

Member # 33

posted 11-02-2001 05:47 PM     Profile for Rogue Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Rogue Angel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Logan waited patiently for Erik to return, pondering his words. Well, at least Erik hadn't asked any embarassing questions about what had happened to the A-wing. Yet.

But what was he going to tell Erik? Did Erik think of Logan as just a senseless, impulsive boy, or did he see that Logan had done what he did out of his concern for Shayla? Did Erik trust him enough to realize that he was being totally honest? Logan guessed he'd have to find out.

The comm clicked back on, and Erik's urgent voice came through. "Logan? You still there? Now tell me, did you have any time with Shayla alone? I must know, Logan, it's getting more and more important that I do with every moment..."

Logan paused, then spoke. "Yes, I did have some time alone with her, after that Sith interrogated me, raped my mind, and flung me across the galaxy and back in the space of about five minutes." He couldn't keep a slight tremble out of his voice. "After that little joyride, she basically left me to Shayla's devices."

"Shayla seemed angry at me, asking me why I'd come if she had tried to warn me away. She said I was a fool to judge what I didn't understand. And she was right, I didn't understand. I didn't get why a friend whom I'd only tried to help was so pissed off at me for coming to get her. I was also angry--I mean, that Sith--she--" Logan shuddered. "And Shayla didn't try to stop her. She seemed to think I was getting what I deserved."

"So I got mad. I told her she'd change, that she didn't seem to care about her friends anymore. She said, she'd always be loyal to her friends, even if they chose not to be loyal to her. She told me that this lady Graysith was her savior, that this Sith'd rescued her from the void and I didn't understand her at all. At first I thought she was having her mind bent, but then I realized she was thinking more lucidly than she'd ever thought in her whole life. There wasn't even a touch of another presence in her mind."

Logan continued, "After that little episode in the throne room of this Temple, Shayla very nicely let me wash up and got me some dinner. I was basically stuffing my face when she asked about old friends. Thea--that's the little girl traveling with us--Izzy...you. She seemed..." Logan searched for the words. "...especially concerned about you."

"I told her about our joining up and coming to Khar Delba, and then this Graysith walked in, with another Sith at her side. He was extremely powerful, and he was the one who flung me back here."

Logan took a deep breath. "That's really all I have to tell, unless you want me to tell you about something specific. I could go on for days..." He sighed. "Look, I haven't even told Cella this, and she's like my sister, but I have this overwhelming feeling that at least some of our party should go right to Khar Delba. There's a lot at stake, and we might lose it if we wait any longer." Logan waited anxiously for Erik's reply.

--------------------

Posts: 357 | From: Mississippi, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 172.172.254.220
Cella Poliani

Member # 115

posted 11-02-2001 06:08 PM     Profile for Cella Poliani   Author's Homepage   Email Cella Poliani     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Meanwhile, Cella was holding conference with Jeroc in their cabin. Both of the Jedi sat on the bed, trying to make sense of the disturbing news that Logan had brought them. Cella spoke first after a long pause.

"Jeroc, I've been meditating, and I think at least one of us needs to go to Khar Delba, and now. And it needs to be me."

Jeroc opened his mouth to object, and Cella put a slim finger on his lips. "Just listen for a minute. I can't sense either of those Sith on Khar Delba any longer, and we need to at least talk to Shayla before they return. And we've dragged our feet long enough. From what Logan says, Shayla already feels alienated because we didn't come for her sooner."

"Because we couldn't find her!" Jeroc protested. "Because that Sith she seems to adore so much now hid her from us! I can't believe Shayla's so far gone as to take the woman who snatched her and prevented us from finding her for so long and honor her as a Master!"

Cella cupped Jeroc's face in her cool hands. "Don't let it frustrate you, dearest. I am angry too, but that helps nothing. I know that there is still good in Shayla, that her soul and spirit are still whole somewhere in her. Logan's story tells me that much. And she'll listen to me before she listens to you."

Jeroc gripped her hand. "No, you can't. I don't want you to do this. I can't let you go, not again. We need to stay together, Cella. I know it's hard for you to feel Shayla hardening her heart against us, but you going off on your own...it feels wrong."

Cella shook her head. "Not to me, Jeroc, and I've learned to trust myself...and the Force. If I don't go, and soon, there is no hope for Shayla, do you understand? I know this in the very core of me, Jeroc. The danger is not so much now that the Sith have left. Your place is with Erik and Terrin. Mine, with Shayla."

Jeroc's lips hardened into a firm line. "You going off on your own could jeopardize our plans for the Nar Khelba. But it's an idea with possibilities. We have to discuss it with Erik first."

Cella turned away from him. "And soon. I refuse to wait any longer."

Jeroc pulled her back around to face him and drew her close in his arms. "So maybe I'm being selfish. I just don't want to run any risks. I love you, Cella, and anyone who harms you will have me to answer to."

"You're running dangerously close to the dark side." Cella's breath was warm on his cheek.

"With you around? Never. You've made this life worth living for the light, even if it does involve letting you leave me sometimes." They kissed warmly, but neither of them could quite forget the urgency of the situation, even in love.

Posts: 76 | From: see Rogue Angel | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 172.172.254.220

All times are CT
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05