my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » General Discussion   » Up For "Grabs" (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Printable Version
Author Topic: Up For "Grabs"
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-13-2002 07:41 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK, being well aware of the heated debate this topic is likely to create, may I say from the outset that the following replies are the opinions of the members here, and that each member is entitled to his or her opinion.

Let's keep it clean, folks.

Now: there is a couple in the United States, "Bill" and "Kathy," who have tried every measure to conceive a child. Nothing has worked. (They do NOT wish to adopt, so let's avoid going there entirely.) They have found a doctor who is willing to perform the procedure of cloning "Kathy" and placing the embryo into a surrogate mother. That's what they plan on doing.

Comments, opinions, anybody?

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.206.214
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 08-13-2002 09:07 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I think cloning a human being is a bad idea. I think Bill and Kathy are going to extremes in considering to clone Kathy. Kathy seems to be a narcissist. How many people do you know would actually want to hang out with themselves all over again? Not many.

What ever happened to a baby in a tube? While ocassionaly there are defects, it's better than making yourself.

Perhaps Kathy and Bill should try the tube idea, abort the child since it will most likely die before her term is up, clone it, and stick it in a serrogate mother.

I'm not against cloning hearts and kidneys, I wish we would do it right now. I am against cloning a human being, for two reasons. One, it's going to extremes, just adopt, or kidnap your brother's child. Two, if you start it once, it will never end, just as we will never rid ourselves of nuclear weapons. One day there could be a clone uprising....think about it...George Washington could lead the uprising, we wouldn't stand a chance...

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 12.220.189.75
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-13-2002 09:11 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just an interjection here:

Would a cloned George Washington be George Washington? There is something to be said about the environment, you know, in the development of personality.

That is all.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.198.52
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 08-13-2002 09:13 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
He would have that potential nonetheless, so all the clones have to do is raise him as a leader. Those devilish clones...

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 12.220.189.75
TheKnot

Member # 213

posted 08-13-2002 09:16 PM     Profile for TheKnot   Author's Homepage   Email TheKnot     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Uh, they're not really creating a clone of "Kathy" since the embryo will be place in a surrogate mother. There may be similar features between "Kathy" and her 'child', but I don't think its going to be an exact duplicate.

And don't forget, Lumbia, that this couple can NOT conceive a child (whatever the reasons that may be; probably a physical defect) and are not willing to adopt one either. I mean, will you ruin their hopes and dreams just because it's not a normal situation in the human lifecycle?

--------------------

Take President 'Dubya' Bush and cut him in two. On the left side, there will be nothing right and on the right side, there will be nothing left.

Posts: 204 | From: Maryland | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 68.50.185.134
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 08-13-2002 09:22 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
They are cloning Kathy, so it will be an exact duplicate of her, no matter if it is carried by a serrogate mother. A serrogate mother's dna isn't involved when all she does is carry it.

--------------------

Support Progress

TheKnot

Member # 213

posted 08-13-2002 09:24 PM     Profile for TheKnot   Author's Homepage   Email TheKnot     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, and another thing: No one really knows how a clone would act in our world. I mean, they could end up having the brain of three year-old for the rest of their lives, or grow up to be geniuses and invent a cure for cancer. Maybe none of those things will happen; what if their heads explode at the age of 27? Or turn into a puddle of slime when eating their breakfast cereal.

"Clone Uprisings" is a (far out) possibility, but come on now, get serious! Why would a clone act differently from a normal person you would meet on a sidewalk or in the mall? This is not "Attack of the Clones" cloning here, people. (I've used the word clone too much, haven't I?)

[ 08-13-2002 09:25 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by TheKnot ]

--------------------

Take President 'Dubya' Bush and cut him in two. On the left side, there will be nothing right and on the right side, there will be nothing left.

Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 08-13-2002 10:03 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Have you ever seen the Sixth Day? That is why they would start an uprising. duh.

--------------------

Support Progress

TheKnot

Member # 213

posted 08-13-2002 10:05 PM     Profile for TheKnot   Author's Homepage   Email TheKnot     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Uh, the Sixth Day is a...lets see...whats it called again? Oh, yeah...A MOVIE. A SCIENCE FICTION MOVIE...with Ah-nold!

--------------------

Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 08-14-2002 11:53 AM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Umm...ok, heres the Deal, a clone is a direct copy of the DNA from someone else? correct? therin, the clone would come out looking the same... BUT we act the way we do because of our experiences, the cloned child would be raised by different parants, would have different friends, an intire different life, therin, while it may look exactly, or very similer to her mother, the child will have its own personality, and will be completly different.
Needless to say, i think this is a good idea, creating clones is a good thing, depending on the use, creating a clone just to have a clone, is bad, but this? come on, it gives them a chance to have a child that is actauly theres(the mothers anyway), yes, adoption is an answer that is still great, parants can be just as happy with a child they adopted, and love 'em just the same, but this is something that goes beyond that, this is a chance to continue the bloodline, keep that family alive...

And a clone uprising? only if the clones parants teach them how to be a soldier, and give them weapons, and tell them "you have to kill everyone"

think of it this way, the child probably wont even realize she's a clone, by the time she gets to an age where she would look similer to her mother, then her mother will be older, therin maintaining the balance in the world. i have seen mother and daughter that look EXACTLY alike before when in comparison to pictures...well, thats all this would be, except dady is just a role modle, and doesnt have to worry about mommy saying "she gets it from your side of the family"

--------------------

"Insert Snappy quote here"

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.219.51.150
Mara1Jade

Expanded Universe Goddess and Corran Obsessor

Member # 68

posted 08-14-2002 11:58 AM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
About continuing the bloodline...

...if the child is an exact duplicate of the mother then SHE wouldn't be able to have children either. Am I right there?

And what exactly do you mean by Remember the Titans? Lumbia?

[ 08-14-2002 11:59 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Mara1Jade ]

--------------------

Small minds think in small terms!
~~CMH, creator and writer of Shayla Petrolu, Erik Kartan, Shawn Petrolu, Terrin Danner, Jasyn Lancaster, Matt Stanza, Aaron Barnes, And Taylor Garrison~~

Posts: 972 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 65.80.105.3
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 08-14-2002 12:20 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As for the blood line thing, well, there are a number of reasons someone might not be able to concieve...so, it is possible yes that she can have children though your probably right, she most likely with have the same problem. But, it could have been somethign that happened the mother during her life, and therin the DNA itself is clean.

--------------------

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-14-2002 01:01 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I too am a supporter of cloning. To me, having two people of nearly identical genetic makeup (there are still in-utero alterations which so far have been creating some fairly minor problems in the clones, of which everyone is well aware and the cloners -- have to call them something! -- are working on)... anyway, having two people with near identical genetic make-up is the same thing as identical twins. As I brought up regarding good ol' George (and I don't mean GWB) and as Entaris has further elucidated, the environment plays a large role in the development of one's personality, of who one ends up being...

Or rather, should I say, who one continually is molded into being.

Anyway, I think people for the most part react with a kind of herd mentality against anything new. New = strange = unknown = danger. (No offense is intended to ANYONE posting "against" cloning of humans, so let me apologize in advance if this statement has ruffled any feathers.) People were "horrified" that we were going to the Moon... and we made it, and now not only is it accepted, it is actually taken as a bit "ho-hum," by many, as though that was something expected as mankind achieving all along.

Cloning is to me very similar. And I don't think it ought to be anything people should be afraid of.

As far as the "playing God" aspect which many people are bringing up as Bill and Kathy's story hits the chronicles, consider organ transplanting to extend life. If that's not playing God, nothing is.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.198.156
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 08-14-2002 01:12 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As for 'playing god' What if it is playing God? we WERE created by this feller after all, all our potential was maped out by Him, i am a hard core believer in God, and i believe we should never go past our limits, or intentions. But we were created to seek knowledge, created to learn and evolve, this could very well be the next step in our evelotion. Graysith is right about the "Different=bad" concept, usaly different is only accepted when it means making your own life easier... SO with that in mind, think of these to people that want kids, this will make there life much better, and i dont think we can truly judge anything as wrong untill we are put in that position ourselves. in the words of a dieing friend "people constantly tell me 'oh i so understand how you must feel' but you CAN NEVER understand how it feels", and we cant, not untill we're put through the exact same thing, and therin, i feel we must be suportive to any idea that helps people in a situation that we truly cant fully understand, no matter how much we would like to.

--------------------

BobPalpatine

Foo Fighter

Member # 17

posted 08-16-2002 01:40 AM     Profile for BobPalpatine   Author's Homepage   Email BobPalpatine     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Even though it is a clone everyone knows it would not come out the same. Enviroment has a huge impact on your self. Most Psychologists estimate that 50% of you is because of your genetics, and then the other %50 is enviroment.

And clones that they make today are clones in the sense many people are thinking of, they aren't exact duplicates, although very close.

I don't beleive in cloning at the moment because I beleive there is other ways. I don't see how other methods have not worked if you can get a good embryo....there are other ways.

Another thing, if people want a child so bad. There are many children up for adoption across the world. Sure they may not be part of you genetically, but as someone who has many adopted friends. You will still look upon them as real family.

Yea cloning is a tough issue. I have a feeling it will be used wrongly someday...

--------------------

"Can't you hear my motored heart? Your the one that started it!"

-Foo Fighters "Generator"

Cogito ergo sum

BobPalpatine
Holonet Admin

Posts: 681 | From: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  Logged: 204.184.55.92
TheKnot

Member # 213

posted 08-16-2002 01:44 PM     Profile for TheKnot   Author's Homepage   Email TheKnot     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What if they cant afford an adoption?

--------------------

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-16-2002 03:01 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am a firm believer in cloning for medical purposes, and in rare cases, creating "children." I say rare cases, extremely dire cases when no options are available, for one simple reason:

The very item command of which allows this wonderful procedure to take place: GENES.

I'm looking at the Big Picture. (Hehe... the Chosen Daughter seems to like doing that for some reason, heh...) The primary numero uno reason cloning should not be allowed AT WILL for reproduction purposes is that in the long run the gene pool of mankind will suffer.

Diversity is what it's all about, folks... and strong humans are compiled of consistently DIFFERENT chromosomes being passed down through the years. It's called evolution, survival of the fittest, and all that. It's why the average size for people is getting close to six feet, while mere hundreds of years ago it was closer to four feet.

If the same genes just keep getting passed down, nothing "new" will ever evolve... and we will be leaving ourselves wide open to the advancement of bacteria and viruses, who mutate all the time.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 209.255.158.49
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 08-16-2002 06:24 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"medicare" that is a medical procedure...probably not covered...but umm...ya

This is the one thing we have to remember about all of this... in the end you can do things one way, and your friend can do it his way...and you two may be simmiler...but theres nothing you can do to change the minds of someone else, if they wanna do this, its there call, in the words of a great man... "be respectfull of others opinions, because you dont know what is causing them to be that way"

--------------------

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.227.22.121
BobPalpatine

Foo Fighter

Member # 17

posted 08-16-2002 09:39 PM     Profile for BobPalpatine   Author's Homepage   Email BobPalpatine     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheKnot:[QB]What if they cant afford an adoption?[/QB]

If they cannot afford adoption that means they cannot afford cloning, or children. So that defeats the whole purpose.

--------------------

"Can't you hear my motored heart? Your the one that started it!"

-Foo Fighters "Generator"

Cogito ergo sum

BobPalpatine
Holonet Admin

Posts: 681 | From: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  Logged: 204.184.55.51
TheKnot

Member # 213

posted 08-16-2002 11:00 PM     Profile for TheKnot   Author's Homepage   Email TheKnot     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Not really...it could be some evil plot to use the cloned child for experiments and such, and will allow the operation to go for free...

Mwahaha...haha...hehe...hmm...

*slaps himself*

[ 08-16-2002 11:14 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by TheKnot ]

--------------------

Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 08-17-2002 01:10 AM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cloning body parts is a really smart idea. cloning humans is interesting, but can lead to something really really bad.

Now, at first, cloning would be for good purposes, to ease Kathy's narcissism, etc. But if it isn't WELL regulated, and what is these days? then it will get completely out of hand and either, like GS said, the gene pool of humans will suffer a whole lot, or (and I'm serious) some mad scientist guy is gonna create a clone of something and try to take over the world.

--------------------

Support Progress

Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 08-17-2002 12:31 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
with cloning comes genetic alteration...some scientist could produce a child that will without a doubt grow to be 8 feet tall, and has natural muscle tissiue great enough to lift a buss. it will also have the ability to see in the dark(good purple vission) and have ingredible reflexes, its one purpose...to make hamsandwiches and work for sizziler...gad zooks!

--------------------

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.227.22.76
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 08-17-2002 03:59 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entaris:[QB]with cloning comes genetic alteration...some scientist could produce a child that will without a doubt grow to be 8 feet tall, and has natural muscle tissiue great enough to lift a buss. it will also have the ability to see in the dark(good purple vission) and have ingredible reflexes, its one purpose...to make hamsandwiches and work for sizziler...gad zooks![/QB]

And that's a huge risk to humanity if that becomes a real possibility.

--------------------

Support Progress

Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 08-17-2002 06:58 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
your right it doesnt... thats why the world makes no sense, if "good always provails over evil" then how come "nice guy's finish last" ????? what the heck's up with that!

--------------------

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.219.72.169
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 08-17-2002 07:39 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Lumbia, come on now, learn to spell. It may seem that good always wins, but there is no law that states that. One "evil" event could end the world. Then evil would have won...

--------------------

Support Progress

All times are CT
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05