my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » General Discussion   » Tragedy of a Lifetime (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Printable Version
Author Topic: Tragedy of a Lifetime
BobPalpatine

Foo Fighter

Member # 17

posted 09-11-2001 05:45 PM     Profile for BobPalpatine   Author's Homepage   Email BobPalpatine     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I was just thinking last night about how my generation, Generation Y, is always compared to the WWII generation because of some of our traits and I was thinking about how could we because we didn't have to deal with something like a World War...well here we go.

As you probably all know the US was attacked by terroists today and its brought our whole country to its knees and opened our eyes to the fact that we are not invincible that we are very vunerable no matter how advanced we are....

"The third big war will begin when the big city is burning."
- Nostradamus, 1654

Just wait for it...once we attack Afganistan which will probably within the next week or two I guess all hell will break loose. You think this is bad??? I'm guessing it will get worse.

--------------------

"Can't you hear my motored heart? Your the one that started it!"

-Foo Fighters "Generator"

Cogito ergo sum

BobPalpatine
Holonet Admin

Posts: 681 | From: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  Logged: 204.184.51.245
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 09-11-2001 05:56 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If this becomes war, which I don't doubt one bit, our generation will be changed. Before today, the majority of us were airheads, now we'll be patriots.

This is absolutely unbelievable, and will not go unpunished. They won't say it, but Bin Laden is behind it. He sid thrree weeks ago he was going to get the US, and it was going to be 'a big one'. I can't describe what I feel right now.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 172.149.117.44
Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 09-11-2001 07:33 PM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
just letting all of you know that knew I was supposed to be flying today that I'm here and ok - I never made it to my flight.

--------------------

A friend once told me "The Turtle Moves" I think we should all remember that right now...
Don't dance to live, live to dance!

Posts: 319 | From: Wandering the planet | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 216.238.139.137
BobPalpatine

Foo Fighter

Member # 17

posted 09-11-2001 09:05 PM     Profile for BobPalpatine   Author's Homepage   Email BobPalpatine     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm glad your ok!

Man...some people in this world still don't know how to be moral still. Gas stations are raising prices in some places just to raise them to take people's money. The station my mom works for(she works in the corporate office as head buyer)was told by amaco that they CANNOT raise their prices...but other stations are doing it anyways and cops are going out and getting them to change them right now.

Right now the US should be mourning the dead NOT swindling people out of money.

Dude Ani...were gonna whoop some towelheads.

--------------------

Cogito ergo sum

BobPalpatine
Holonet Admin

Posts: 681 | From: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  Logged: 204.184.51.245
Mara1Jade

Expanded Universe Goddess and Corran Obsessor

Member # 68

posted 09-11-2001 10:10 PM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I for one hope they kick the living hell out of whomever did this. As I said on JNet, I believe America has become to secure in its power, and the terrorists were well aware of this, and they struck.

However, that does not excuse this horrid act. It was cold, calculated, and just plain sick.

They picked the planes with the most possible fuel on them. They took planes from UNITED and AMERICAN. They chose 9-11 (911) as the date for the attack. They acted between 8:45-and 9 something, when the most people in those buildings were at their desks. They attack the World Trade Towers and the Pentagon, national symbols.

I'm furious. I hope we blow the living hell out of them.

God Bless the U.S.A.

by Lee Greenwood

If tomorrow all the things were gone
I'd worked for all my life,
And I had to start again
with just my children and my wife,
I'd thank my lucky stars
to be living here today,
'Cause the flag still stands for freedom
and they can't take that away.

I'm proud to be an American
where at least I know I'm free,
And I won't forget the men who died
who gave that right to me,
And I gladly stand up next to you
and defend her still today,
'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land
God Bless the U.S.A.

From the lakes of Minnesota
to the hills of Tennessee,
Across the plains of Texas
from sea to shining sea.
From Detroit down to Houston
and New York to L.A.,
There's pride in every American heart
and it's time we stand and say:

I'm proud to be an American
where at least I know I'm free,
And I won't forget the men who died
who gave that right to me,
And I gladly stand up next to you
and defend her still today,
'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land
God Bless the U.S.A.

--------------------

Small minds think in small terms!
~~CMH, creator and writer of Shayla Petrolu, Erik Kartan, Shawn Petrolu, Terrin Danner, Jasyn Lancaster, Matt Stanza, Aaron Barnes, And Taylor Garrison~~

Posts: 972 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 65.80.104.159
Rogue Angel

Jedi Knight

Member # 33

posted 09-12-2001 05:54 PM     Profile for Rogue Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Rogue Angel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm with Blake and Ani. If any good comes out of this, it will be the change worked in our generation of people. We won't be spoiled babies anymore. We'll realize that nothing in life is certain, and that we are responsible for the freedom of future generations, just like our grandparents.

This is a lot more complex, though. It's not the kind of war our grandparents had to fight. These fanatics have brought it out of the trenches and right into our lives. And they can count on one thing--we will blow the crap out of them for it. Haven't they studied history? Don't they know what happens when you piss off the U.S.A.?

--------------------

"Is that a lightsaber in your pocket or are ya just happy to see me?"

Posts: 357 | From: Mississippi, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 172.149.132.169
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 09-12-2001 06:20 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Another bit of....ironic information...

The flights that were Highjacked were from United and AA, they were numbered as follows:

11, 93, 175, and 77

11 = Tuesday
9+3 = 12 = Wednesday
1+7+5 = 13 = Thursday
7+7 = 14 = Friday

Could it be that it was meant to go on for four days? Or is it just a coincidence?

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 172.146.6.241
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 09-12-2001 06:31 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ya know, I just have to say, America is the greatest nation that has ever, and that will ever be on the face of the earth.

Yesterday, the Senators were on the steps of the Capitol building, and out of no where came "God Bless America". How amazing.

Everything that we stand for, freedom, liberty, justice, was threatened yesterday. Everything that we have ever fought for, was threatened yesterday. What proves this is the nation's we never thought would come to our side, have come. Cuba is volunteering to send supplies to New York to help. China has said they are with us in this, as well as Russia. All of these countries know they wouldn't have what they have if it weren't for our country.

If these third world ignorant terrorists think they can break our spirits by breaking our buildings, they are wrong and they will soon find out how wrong they are.

America will stand the test of time, the World will see to it.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 172.146.6.241
Mara1Jade

Member # 68

posted 09-12-2001 10:54 PM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh say can you see
By the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed
At the twilight's last gleaming?

Whose broad stripes and bright stars
Through the perilous fight
O'er the ramparts we watched
Were so galantly streaming...

And the rockets red glare
the bombs bursting in air
Gave proof through the night
That our flag was still there...

Oh say does that star-spangled banner yet wave?
O'er the land of the free
And the home of the brave?

[ 09-12-2001 10:58 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Mara1Jade ]

--------------------

~~CMH, creator and writer of Shayla Petrolu, Erik Kartan, Shawn Petrolu, Terrin Danner, Jasyn Lancaster, Matt Stanza, Aaron Barnes, And Taylor Garrison~~

Posts: 972 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 65.80.104.159
BobPalpatine

Foo Fighter

Member # 17

posted 09-12-2001 11:16 PM     Profile for BobPalpatine   Author's Homepage   Email BobPalpatine     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My mom is going down to V'burg tommorow because my dad is there right now at WES and she is going to pick him up because as of right now his flight back to STL Friday has been cancelled and she doesn't really want him flying anyways...

Its Osama Bin-Laden that we have to find now and we gotta get him good for this.

Someone at my school suggested kill him and bury him on American soil so he won't go to heaven because they beleive that they won't go to heaven if buried on American soil.

--------------------

Cogito ergo sum

BobPalpatine
Holonet Admin

Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 09-12-2001 11:25 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I say we rip apart his body and bury him all over the world, or better yet, shoot his ass into space.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 172.173.182.122
Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 09-13-2001 09:56 AM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This week is also the aniversary of the Camp David Accords - another possible reason that they might have had when choosing now.

--------------------

A friend once told me "The Turtle Moves" I think we should all remember that right now...
Don't dance to live, live to dance!

Posts: 319 | From: Wandering the planet | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 216.238.140.221
Mara1Jade

Member # 68

posted 09-13-2001 10:17 AM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My brother is supposed to fly to Canada at the end of the month. Now he's looking for alternative ways to get there.

--------------------

Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 09-13-2001 06:15 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, when the President says we're at war, that's it. He said it today, I give it a week or two at most before it's official.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 172.166.116.97
Rogue Angel

Jedi Knight

Member # 33

posted 09-13-2001 07:08 PM     Profile for Rogue Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Rogue Angel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hope your dad makes it back home safe, Blake, though I don't think Vicksburg is in a whole lot of danger...they're going for a psychological impact rather than a military one. The whole thing with WES being here is still kind of scary, though.

Something that I find really sad...people are assaulting Arabs and Muslims across the country and threatening to bomb mosques. I'm just as mad as anybody about this, but if we start killing innocents, we're no better than those terrorists. Not all Muslims buy into these scary doctrines of Bin Laden, etc. Basically they have the same moral code as Christians and Jews. It's only a couple of fanatics who are twisting Islam for evil purposes. Please, don't be a bigot and blame all Muslims for the actions of a few nuts.

*gets off soapbox*

--------------------

Posts: 357 | From: Mississippi, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 172.131.53.134
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 09-13-2001 07:29 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yea, I know. The radicals who follow bin Laden, compared to the number is muslims, is very small. It's TOTALLY wrong to attack arabs who have done absolutely nothing wrong.

On another note, I uploaded this picture R2 and I made a few years ago:

It's more of a Revolution thing than what's happening now, though still patriotic...

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 172.148.173.33
Mara1Jade

Member # 68

posted 09-14-2001 01:53 PM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Patroitism seems to be the common theme. I've been feeling that way for a while. I've been wanting to find an American flag to put on the inside window of my car.

Anybody watch the national prayer service? Hear the words of Billy Graham? Of Bush. I thought a few times Bush looked like he could cry, just like everyone else there.

I sat and cried as I watched it. I guess I'm going through the grief process somewhat backwards. Shock, disbelief, anger, and now sadness.

But believe me I'm still angry.

--------------------

Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 09-14-2001 03:15 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
They didn't have any tvs on when the prayer service happened today. But at noon we had 5 minutes of silence, and then the played "God Bless the USA"

Other news...seems Russia isn't as welcome to an attack on Afghanistan as we are. I read on foxnews.com at school today that some russian officials, including a General, said that it's not likely that the US will lead a waron terrorism in Central Asia. I thought that sounded a little weird by mentioning the region.

And, the Afghan Militia has said they'll seek revenge on us if we attack. I'm wondering what they plane to do, since I'm sure we could have a nuke there in 5 minutes or less.

More than just Russia are being gay like this, Euro countries have been telling their citizens they won't follow the US blindly into war. I guess that's understandable, only it wouldn't be blindly. I doubt they would say that if 4 airliners were hijacked in their countries and crashed into national monuments, on purpose.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 172.173.145.162
Rogue Angel

Jedi Knight

Member # 33

posted 09-14-2001 09:07 PM     Profile for Rogue Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Rogue Angel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If it can happen to us, it can happen to ANYBODY. Any nation that is in denial about this is just being foolish.

Our pep rally at school today had a patriotic theme...we (Madrigals and Total Sound) sang "God Bless America". NJROTC presented the colors and the tears were running down my face when I looked at that flag. It has never meant this much to me in my life. I am ready to do whatever I have to, no matter how big or small, to keep that flag flying.

--------------------

Posts: 357 | From: Mississippi, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 172.167.59.162
Mara1Jade

Member # 68

posted 09-14-2001 10:52 PM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Afgan says they will seek revenge on us, eh?

What the hell? Have they missed the fact that the terrorists THEY are harboring and refusing to produce just drove THREE planes into national monuments, killing thousands, and had a fourth on the way that was only diverted by courageous passengers?

Have they missed THOUSANDS OF INNOCENT PEOPLE DIED BECAUSE OF THEIR UTTER STUPIDITY???

Revenge on us my arse.

And I agree, Ani. If the terrorists had driven a couple of planes into the Big Ben, for example, they'd be crying the same story.

This is not blind war. We know who the enemy is, even if we don't, if that makes sense.

--------------------

Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 09-15-2001 12:37 AM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, Big Ben is in England isn't it? We don't need anything bad to happen to the brits, the Queen ordered the Star Spangled Banner to be played during the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace. Anyhow, the Afghan's are still in the stone age, we shouldn't expect them not to be ignorant.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 172.150.79.132
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-15-2001 02:41 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I STILL say nuke 'em...

Seriously, we need to keep our anger. Mine is growing daily in leaps and bounds. I am into outrage, and it is burning just fine, thank you. I too never knew what patriotism I could feel... until now.

These creeps are the biggest cowards that could ever blight the earth. We need to stop thinking with conventional western logic. Too beat them, we have to think irrationally, and to think three jumps ahead.
I sure hope authorities are crawling over every city and town in America. I know they're out in force where I live, which is comforting to an extent.

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.192.53
BobPalpatine

Foo Fighter

Member # 17

posted 09-15-2001 10:02 AM     Profile for BobPalpatine   Author's Homepage   Email BobPalpatine     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
We shouldn't nuke em ever unless it gets so bad that we have to.

Nuking a country cause were gonna kill everyone in a country...and its gonna have SUBSTANTIAL effects on the world. Nuking a country could also start a nuclear war with other countries...its never a good thing?

Why do you think we should nuke them?

--------------------

Cogito ergo sum

BobPalpatine
Holonet Admin

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-15-2001 11:03 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Because my belief system dictates the following:

"Wipe them out. All of them."

Actually, we have other weapons which are far worse than nukes that I think we should use instead. But to the end result, which I have just stated.

Those who harbor our enemies ARE THEMSELVES our enemies. We can't afford to "pick and choose" who among the population will die, and who won't. Sheesh; this is WAR. What do you think happens in war? Think only the military installations and fighting body dies? Do you honestly think "innocent women and children" in these enemy countries ARE truly innocent?

Get out of western thinking. This is an eastern culture. They think differently. Their women think differently. Their children are taught the same.

THE TALIBAN IS THE ENEMY. (Along with a certain coward and his bullies.) It resides in Afghanistan... although maybe by now, come to think of it, it may be in Pakistan. THAT wonderful country, back-pedalling to "help us" out of fear, no doubt has already let bin Laden and the Taliban leaders across its borders into hiding. Perhaps they are ones we should hit, once we chase the Taliban out like the cowards they are. We know their population is strongly anti-American; this doesn't just spring up independent of the leaders.

ANYWAY: now is not the time to stand upon idealism. That is a trait springing from the inexperience of youth. It has little impact upon reality. It is time now to, just once, get above ourselves, THINK as they think, and treat them as they would treat us.

I said it once, and I'll say it again. Wipe them out, all of them.

The only other option lies at the other end of the spectrum. This would be resultant of the "Christian ethic" which supposedly guides this country. "Love thy enemy as thy self." "Forgive and forget."

WELL. To do that would absolutely disempower the terrorists. They could blow us to smithereens, and we would just keep forgiving and smiling... and they would be at such a loss it isn't even funny. But I just can't see America doing this, either.

[ 09-15-2001 12:25 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.104.32
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 09-15-2001 06:01 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What you said about Pakistan is totally false, that anger that you say we need to keep is making you think irrational, which is what we DON'T need. The Pakistani President wants the world to like Pakistan, though there's a large amount of anti-american's there, he isn't one. And we can't proclaim war one someone because they don't like Americans. Nuking Pakistan would throw the US back to the stone age, remember, we aren't the only ones with this technology.

The Taliban has threatened Pakistan if they help us at all, they wouldn't do that if they Taliban leaders and bin Laden were there, and Pakistan wouldn't allow ground troops there, which (I heard) they agreed to do this morning.

Nuking Afghanistan is wrong too. The majority of people there are Innocent. The only reason you have to kill civilians is to demoralize the leaders, who will in turn want to end the war, to save their people. BUT, the people think dying to fight America is a good thing, so the leaders won't do shit.

This war will last a long time, and it won't only be against Afghanistan and bin Laden. Over time all countries harboring these radicals will become target as well, and all other terrorist organizations. The main goal is to kill it off. But it will take time, and dedication. Laurre, you're likely to end up become a suicide bomber with and jumping out of an airplane tied to a nuke over the middle east.

We have to keep a level head about it. We beat Nazism, and Communism, we can beat Terrorism. But, only if we stick together.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 172.174.157.30

All times are CT
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05