my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » General Discussion   » Tragedy of a Lifetime (Page 3)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Printable Version
Author Topic: Tragedy of a Lifetime
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-18-2001 11:53 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Did anyone see Frontline on PBS tonight, about Afghanistan? My God... what heartache. I have come about 180 degrees; attacking the Afghanis won't prove squat, will only add to their misery, and will turn our Arab allies against us.

I have been reading and watching specials today. I am beginning to see how bin Laden thinks as he does, why he hates us so much. (Actually, did we really have to keep our troops in Saudi Arabia so long after the Gulf War?) I am also really beginning to believe there was another one who masterminded this; it is said he has two lieutenants, one a doctor, and the other some military genius. bin Laden might have come up with the inspiration, but it was probably these two who planned it out step by step, and no doubt funded by Iraq and Saddam. (A reliable source also said bin Laden is probably worth maybe only tens of millions; not enough to orchestrate what this entire mess probably cost.)

We do have to proceed with the greatest of caution. NO BLIND KNEE-JERK REACTIONS. I am really, really afraid of what is in store with us if this retaliation is bungled as Clinton bungled the bin Laden camp bombing.... Justice must be done, but not in rage.

Sheesh, is this the same me?

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.198.27
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 09-19-2001 03:30 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
bin Laden is worth around $250 Million, he's got the money to do it, but I agree, I don't think it was him. He's the inspiration for attacking America, but I bet Iraq had a big part in this.

Turns out Operation Noble Eagle was what they called the operation to protect the skies of NY and DC. Operation Infinite Justice is the name of the attack. Woohoo. They're sending aircraft carriers to the persian gulf right now, getting read for the big day.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 172.186.91.220
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-19-2001 06:00 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
bin Laden being worth $250 million is not what I heard in a special report on public television last night. One of the Saudis of his family (I think it was a family member; at least one of the ruling members, at any rate it was a Saudi) said only in the tens of millions.

And wahoo, we're gearing up our warships. Yay. WHO ARE WE GONNA HIT? If we strike out ANYWHERE, we are going to be hit AGAIN within our own borders, and somewhere in the world is gonna be hit likewise. These guys ARE everywhere. And they've been here a long time. In 55 countries. And they're waiting.

We truly have a faceless, formless enemy. Striking back in ANY manner will only augment the Holy War these radicals think they are implementing. "I hit you, you hit me, we do this forever until everything is destroyed..." and then who will clean up the mess left behind?

That latter is what worries me.... right now, I don't trust ANYBODY, and not just the obvious "enemies," either.

Call me paranoid. Call me stupid. BUT, while I do not believe in EVERYTHING, I keep an open mind to ANYTHING.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.204.207
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 09-19-2001 07:40 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You're paranoid

I heard he was worth $250 million, and hasn't spoken to anyone in his Saudi family in a good 5 years, so I doubt they'd really know.

We've made it clear who is target number one, bin Laden and the Taliban. Those will be hit first unless there's some secret plan to attack someone like Iraq and they don't wanna let out on it just yet.

Of course we'll be hit again. But I have a lot of confidence they'll foil the majority of these now. They've warned Jordan and another country U.S. Embassy bombing might happen there, and they've arrested a ton of people. Sure, there are more out there, but now they'll have an even harder time doing this, since if anyone sees an arab doing anything unusual, they'll call the FBI. And if they do attack us again, it will only hurt their cause.

Laurre, I think you were abducted by aliens or somethin.....

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 172.169.99.134
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-20-2001 12:27 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmm... if a member of the Saudi ruling family "doesn't know" of bin Laden's worth, then how the heck do we??? Have we yet uncovered the "missing link;" the proof positive? Yea or nay, why did we refuse to give it to the Taliban when they asked, in order to have bin Laden turned over in a bloodless manner?

Because we are still acting out of knee-jerk hatred. Like I thought a week ago. Yes, we have every right to be angry, to feel violated. We have been violated.

I am not quite as confident as you. I'll say it again and again. This is NOT a war of Lions; it is a war of foxes. We must be cunning and sly, and out-think theses S.O.B.s. I don't think we should only be looking for "any suspiciously-acting" arab. Who's to say that whatever they planned for a second strike isn't already set and waiting? They sure had the time to set themselves up UNNOTICED for the attack on the WTC and Pentagon!

An attack on a country already in the throes of chaos is lower than snake-belly dirt, IMHO. I see that now. Not to mention the fact that it will just egg this thing into continuing on and on and on.

Mahatma Gandhi once said, "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind." So wahoo, here we go, off to the optometrist.

>"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending
>spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. Instead
>of diminishing evil, it multiplies it... Through violence you
>may murder the hater, but you do not murder hate. In fact,
>violence merely increases hate.... Returning violence for
>violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a
>night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out hate;
>only love can do that."
> - Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

[ 09-20-2001 12:30 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.101.174
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 09-20-2001 03:16 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Hmmm... if a member of the Saudi ruling family "doesn't know" of bin Laden's worth, then how the heck do we???

Were you aware of the fact that there's a thing called the CIA? Sure, you'll say "what good are they? they missed this whole thing!", but money is easier to find out about than what happened.

quote:
Have we yet uncovered the "missing link;" the proof positive? Yea or nay, why did we refuse to give it to the Taliban when they asked, in order to have bin Laden turned over in a bloodless manner?

Because we are still acting out of knee-jerk hatred. Like I thought a week ago. Yes, we have every right to be angry, to feel violated. We have been violated.

I am not quite as confident as you. I'll say it again and again. This is NOT a war of Lions; it is a war of foxes. We must be cunning and sly, and out-think theses S.O.B.s. I don't think we should only be looking for "any suspiciously-acting" arab. Who's to say that whatever they planned for a second strike isn't already set and waiting? They sure had the time to set themselves up UNNOTICED for the attack on the WTC and Pentagon!

Even if we didn't have proof of bin Laden's guilt inthise act, we have it in tons of others. The Taliban knows that. We've declared a war on terrorism, bin Laden is the biggest terrorist of all. If sending small groups of the special forces there, at night, to carry out missions isn't 'fox like', then what is? Sure, we'll bomb them, but I don't think you understand we're not getting rid of intelligence, we're gonna make it much much stronger, which will hopefully find terrorists, and then on a case by case asis we'll either use diplomacy, military action, or law enforcement. I get the feeling you think we're a lot weaker than we really are.

quote:

An attack on a country already in the throes of chaos is lower than snake-belly dirt, IMHO. I see that now. Not to mention the fact that it will just egg this thing into continuing on and on and on.

You need CNN so you can see what the Taliban is really like. A few months ago they did an undercover thing there. They're like muslim nazi germany. They have public executions in football stadiums, mass killings, no schooling for women. You can be killed for almost anything. They support bin Laden. This government is a weed in the world and needs to be pulled out. Once that's done, I have faith the US and the Northern Alliance will set up something much much better.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 172.153.48.99
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 09-20-2001 03:23 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What Ghandi has to say has nothing to do with what we're going through. He was small and fought something huge. We're huge and we're fighting something small. Fighting this without violence isn't possible, if we do that, they'll blow us all up. I don't know a lot about Ghandi but I'm guessing the brits had a reason not to blow him up, but these people who want us dead, they don't care if they die for what they do, they see that as going to heaven to eat apples with allah.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 172.153.48.99
Chief Metalbottom

unregistered

posted 09-23-2001 04:57 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great, let's go ahead and generalize an entire religion, and people. They propably think Americans are all angry, rich, white, and they shoot up schools everyday. That's how racism starts, and that's how wars get started. It's not about religion, or retaliation, our country wants to kill stuff. That's all there is to it. And by the way, we shot that Pennsylvania plane down. And, Bean is back.
Logged: 204.33.53.211
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 09-23-2001 09:27 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
We didn't shoot it down, the passengers took it down.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 172.160.130.145
Dash

Wise Ass

Member # 83

posted 09-23-2001 11:14 PM     Profile for Dash   Author's Homepage   Email Dash     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
maybe they did maybe they didn't but if they did it was " shoot down alot of people or have alot of people die on and ground and in the plane"

--------------------

If I cared I'd be smiling right now :{

Posts: 288 | From: Hell | Registered: Nov 2000  |  Logged: 172.152.132.143
Terrin Danner

Exceptional Salesman turned Really Nice Guy

Member # 110

posted 09-25-2001 10:34 AM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That is very true. But I think it happened a better way with the guys on the plane fighting the terrorists--keeps some Americans from saying "well, the government shot the plane down" and getting angry about it.

Even so, if that was what they had to do, I believe they had proof that plane was headed for DC.

--------------------

"Where's the horns, flyboy?"
~~Galen
It is a far greater thing to live a life with purpose and risk death than to simply live.~~CMH

Posts: 1188 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 66.20.156.245
Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 09-26-2001 07:57 AM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Either way - everyone on the plane may have died - but how many people were saved by the action taken to prevent the terrorists from doing what they had planned on? That's really the important thing - those people were going to die anyway - and they knew it - bringing the plane down where they did saved others. Inconsequently - it was the passengers that brought down that plane - a friend of one of the families in my town was on it and he called his wife to say goodbye telling her that the men were going to attack the terrorists and try to save some of the others on the plane and on the ground - so from our itty bitty town we have a first hand account of what happened on at least that plane.

--------------------

A friend once told me "The Turtle Moves" I think we should all remember that right now...
Don't dance to live, live to dance!

Posts: 319 | From: Wandering the planet | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 193.52.64.54
bean

Gov. of the Phar Side

Member # 86

posted 09-28-2001 06:31 PM     Profile for bean   Author's Homepage   Email bean     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Maybe I don't have enough faith in the human spirit or something, but it just doesn't seem right. They lost the plane for hours, and then it turns up crashed in a little rural field, where it could do no harm. It just doesn't seem right. But, I guess, it had to be done. In Star Trek III, The Search for Spock, Spock says " The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" that;s what applys here. It sad, but true. This is also why Spock is the greatest half Vulcan, half Human philospher ever.

I also don't like the fact that our country has such a short atention span. Week one it was mourning, the next week it was patriotism, and now it's killing Bin Laden. I went to a concert last weekend, and you wouldn't believe the ethnic slurs. "Bomb em', Make em' a crater, kill em' all". But I guess after Pearl Harbor, our grandparents were calling for Japanese heads on sticks.

It may seem as though I'm siding with the terrorists, but you can't teach another country that it's wrong to bomb people by bombing them. I agree something should be done, but nothing too drastic.

--------------------

Just when you think you can't get amy lower, someone hands you a shovel.

Posts: 54 | From: Louisville, Kentucky /Downtown coolsville, population-me | Registered: Nov 2000  |  Logged: 204.32.183.170
Shayla Stargazer Petrolu

Adept

Member # 123

posted 10-07-2001 01:23 PM     Profile for Shayla Stargazer Petrolu   Author's Homepage   Email Shayla Stargazer Petrolu     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The war has begun.

"Kabul is in darkness..."

--------------------

"Small minds think in small terms!"
~~CMH~~
(I am NOT turning to the Darkside...)

Posts: 1711 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 66.20.157.53
Mara1Jade

Expanded Universe Goddess and Corran Obsessor

Member # 68

posted 10-07-2001 03:24 PM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK, Bin Laden might as well ADMIT HE DID IT.

The creep. Jihad indeed, buddy. Let us recall that YOU made this a "Holy War," not the US of A. We have reiterated that this IS NOT a war against Islam, that Islam is A PEACEFUL religion. You sir, are a nut. A raving lunatic. You have no honor.

ARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!

--------------------

Small minds think in small terms!
~~CMH, creator and writer of Shayla Petrolu, Erik Kartan, Shawn Petrolu, Terrin Danner, Jasyn Lancaster, Matt Stanza, Aaron Barnes, And Taylor Garrison~~

Posts: 972 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 66.20.157.53

All times are CT
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05