my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id

»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » Useless Junk   » The Pledge of Allegiance (Read if you haven't heard the news!) (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Printable Version
Author Topic: The Pledge of Allegiance (Read if you haven't heard the news!)
TheKnot

Member # 213

posted 06-26-2002 07:06 PM     Profile for TheKnot   Author's Homepage   Email TheKnot     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I just read this today on the 'net!
http://www.cnn.com/2002/LAW/06/26/pledge.allegiance/index.html

A federal appeals court ruled today that reciting the Pledge of Allegiance in public schools is unconstitutional because of the phrase "under God." Whoa.

[ 06-26-2002 07:07 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by TheKnot ]

--------------------

Take President 'Dubya' Bush and cut him in two. On the left side, there will be nothing right and on the right side, there will be nothing left.

Posts: 204 | From: Maryland | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 68.50.185.134
Ahmad

Member # 219

posted 06-26-2002 08:34 PM     Profile for Ahmad   Author's Homepage   Email Ahmad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Well their could Buddisht at school, even though Im a Christan, I still keep my eye out for other religions. I didn't want to do it in the first place, too long....takes to much of the day..

--------------------

"If I wanted to..you'd be dead"-Ahmad

Posts: 90 | From: | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 12.246.169.9
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 06-26-2002 09:47 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I think the ruling was a very good idea. Ahmad, your reason for not wanting to do it is a very sad one.

"One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Has the same ring as,

"One nation, under god, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Hopefully Congress will get the clue that they need to change the pledge.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 172.145.197.22
TheKnot

Member # 213

posted 06-26-2002 10:05 PM     Profile for TheKnot   Author's Homepage   Email TheKnot     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I agree with Anakin. Changing the pledge rather than making the whole thing unconstitutional will probably sit better with people.

Though, in my opinion, I don't really see the point of having a 'pledge of allegiance' or at least having students in education say it almost everyday.

Basically, its just you announcing your loyalty to the country. Don't you think being a citizen, voting, joining the military, and applying for jobs guarantee that loyalty already? What's the sense of declaring your allegiance everyday (well, schools at least)?

Some people say respect and/or honor. Singing the national anthem shows respect! 'Pledging your allegiance' is, in my opinion, NOT. If anything, it sounds a little like a dictatorship to me...

--------------------

Take President 'Dubya' Bush and cut him in two. On the left side, there will be nothing right and on the right side, there will be nothing left.

Ahmad

Member # 219

posted 06-26-2002 10:25 PM     Profile for Ahmad   Author's Homepage   Email Ahmad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I dont see that it should be used every day. Maybe once every beginning of the week, but not all the time. And your right Anakin, but I wasn't paying much attetion to what was exactly being presented. I mean, it should be used, but just not with "under god" placed right there, splattered over a country known to have diversity, and morals of much different then the one that is a neighbor, which makes us so unique.

--------------------

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 06-26-2002 11:48 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I for one am ashamed to be an American after that RIDICULOUS ruling. This country is going to SHRED ITSELF TO PIECES INTERNALLY trying to please EVERYBODY at the rate its going.

Nothing wrong with a nation under God: read (your diety) as synonymous. And yes, though I personally do not believe in a diety, I see no reason why it should be yanked out of the Pledge.

What that statement means is one nation under the morals and justice and peacekeeping attributes as a God would want us to uphold. One nation embracing the tenets put forth by ones' personal diety so as to live peaceably together as one, and to hopefully lead the world (or assist, at any rate) into doing the same thing. It's the hidden nuance that is important, not whether the word "God" is written therein.

This only proves to me the continual downhill slide into mediocrity and worse that our country is heading toward. Next they'll decide the flag is going to offend the poor convicts in our prisons because it's STRIPED, or the animal rights activists will say its offensive to zebras and they'll change it to...

Nothing. That will please everybody.

And Knot, I don't see any difference between singing an anthem or pledging oneself to one's country. They are one and the same.

Speaking of: I suppose they're going to change the words to "God Bless America" now, right? I mean, what's the difference between that and the pledge?

[ 06-26-2002 11:52 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.192.166
Ahmad

Member # 219

posted 06-26-2002 11:52 PM     Profile for Ahmad   Author's Homepage   Email Ahmad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Very true, but I still dont think it should be done every day....

--------------------

Rathal

Member # 220

posted 06-26-2002 11:59 PM     Profile for Rathal   Author's Homepage   Email Rathal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Alright, I might not be the best person to coment on this as I don't think that government funded/ run schools should exist, but I believe that only is this ruling rediculous. 1) it is not the government's place to make such regulations, they are there to protect the people not to tell them what they can and cannot say. 2) Im sure if a child were to say "Hey, I dont like to say the pledge because it offends me for X. reason." and the reason was valid they wouldn't be forced to say it. America does things like this and then turns around and wounders why the world has such a low oppinion of them.

--------------------

My Characters: Rathal, Narcolm, Freedon Naad

"You'll never see the end of the road while your traveling with me."

Posts: 127 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 205.188.192.186
TheKnot

Member # 213

posted 06-27-2002 12:02 AM     Profile for TheKnot   Author's Homepage   Email TheKnot     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Huh. You have a real good point there GraySith. We ARE falling into mediocrity because our government is trying to please every single person that lives here! Although, thats what it should roughly be doing in the first place, yet changing the pledge of allegiance or any other symbol/song because of phrases involving "God" or anything simliar is kind of a small issue compared to what is happening in our nation.

Crime rages across cities, terrorist threats, allies going into war, and yet our government takes the time to break faith in its citizenry because of something thats not picture perfect. I'm pretty sure when our founding fathers created the Bill of Rights and created the U.S. Constitution they KNEW the nation was not going to be some perfect, utopian society.

Honestly though, and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get flammed for this, I lost faith in this country in the Monica Lewinsky/Bill Clinton scandal. The sight of the media attacking our own President like vultures, despite everything he had done, just made me sick. My time in middle school didn't help either. The so-called "racial equality" I've been learning so much during Black History Month turned to crap when I was plauged with black racists in a school that was 90 percent African American. That was hell for me then, and it still is now.

[ 06-27-2002 12:07 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by TheKnot ]

--------------------

Recinis

Sith Protector

Member # 266

posted 06-27-2002 12:04 AM     Profile for Recinis   Author's Homepage   Email Recinis     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I personaly have never truly understood the pledge... in my personaly opinion,it is taking freedom away, the kids are forced to do it, i mean, yes we can say "its against me riligion" or something like that, but the fact is, we are told to do it, that fact that we have to commit ourselves to our nation(though we truly should make that commitment) is rediculas. But im not exactly the best person to get my opinion on such a topic, because my beliefs are totaly tweaked...

--------------------

"my hearts my strongest weapon, my mind my swiftess blade, the words i speak can cut your flesh, and leave you in the gray"
---BMG

Posts: 456 | From: | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 67.219.72.16
Mara1Jade

Expanded Universe Goddess and Corran Obsessor

Member # 68

posted 06-27-2002 12:14 AM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I wasn't going to say anything, but I changed my mind. I tend to agree with what Graysith says.

And come on people, are we gonna change every kriffing national tradition to be P.C.? Not everyone might believe in a God, but I sure as hell heard them singing "GOD Bless America" after September 11? Why? The traditions and patriotism HELD US TOGETHER? Just as pledging alligance to the Flag, as it is, holds us together. We aren't just talking about being united in Justice. We are talking about being united in justice as prescribed by the rules found in...

*gasp*

...the Bible. You know those 10 commandments that no one wants on the wall? That's where we get all the laws our country is based on. At least, that's where the guys back then got them. And if you want to argue that "times are changing," go back to argument A. It's A NATIONAL TRADITION. It's PATRIOTIC. The founding fathers wrote it as "One nation under God." If you don't like it, you don't have to say it. But don't go changing an over 200 year old patriotic tradition. We will NEVER satisfy EVERYONE. Next someone will say in pledging to the flag we are worshipping an object and that we shouldn't pledge at all...

...just leave it be. It's not like we don't have the choice to say it or not.

And Ahmad, after the events of 9/11, I'd hope you'd appreciate that you are here TO SAY the pledge of alligiance.

[ 06-27-2002 12:17 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Mara1Jade ]

--------------------

Small minds think in small terms!
~~CMH, creator and writer of Shayla Petrolu, Erik Kartan, Shawn Petrolu, Terrin Danner, Jasyn Lancaster, Matt Stanza, Aaron Barnes, And Taylor Garrison~~

Posts: 972 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 66.20.156.47
Recinis

Sith Protector

Member # 266

posted 06-27-2002 12:19 AM     Profile for Recinis   Author's Homepage   Email Recinis     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
i agree with what your saying, and what graysith has said, but i tend to realize a fact, then forget the fact and tweak it in my mind, making it totaly different... i agree though, we shouldnt change things...it doesnt really make a difference, everyone is free to think what they want, thats what makes this nation so great as apose to some nations where the people are told "No, you dont like blue, you like red..." and if the answer "no i like blue" they get shot... so yes, we are a wonderful nation... but i still dont think the pledge makes sense, we could have done it a lot better then that, but now we are set in tradition, and one thing is true about amerakins, we dont chage very easily...

--------------------

"my hearts my strongest weapon, my mind my swiftess blade, the words i speak can cut your flesh, and leave you in the gray"
---BMG

Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 06-27-2002 12:19 AM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
How I see it:

We recgnized that there were and would be religious differences in the population of the United States way back when the First Amendmant was ratified. They said that they recognize that a situation may come up where one would say "I believe this, but you believe that, and it's ok." The problem came in when the men who wrote the laws were religious men, who either ignored what was meant by the first amendment, or just did not understand that certain phrases could offend someone who believed differently. This is where we see "I believe this, we all belive this, so let's use it." That's ignorance. Not everyone believes in one God.

When "under God" was added to the pledge in the 50's, it was to show the world that we were God loving people, unlike the soviets. Those in power at that time ignored the fact that others may not believe the same thing, and thus, our generation gets screwed over by the ignorance of the former generation.

The pledge as it is right now, says that we are a nation under God (the christian god; see, in the 50s, when one said God in America, that's what it meant).

Now, though, we're smarter, and we realize what the first amendment means. We realize that there are other people alive who are not christians, or jews, or even muslims. We realize that those people have the same right as christians. They have a right not to have a religious belief shoved in their face, and the faces of their children. We have to remember that the limit for a freedom is when it takes someone elses freedom away.

It is your right to believe that this is a nation under god, and it is your right to say it. See, the pledge is ours. It's everyone's. It belongs to the muslims, the christians, the jews, the atheists, everyone. If it is everyone's it should offend no one. Out of the four groups, "under God" won't offend the Mulims, the Christians, or the Jews, but it will offend the Atheists, and it is theirs too, so "under God" won't work.

If you get what I'm saying, good for you, if you don't, read it again and again until you do.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 172.145.197.22
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 06-27-2002 12:20 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
OK, so what's wrong with saying the Pledge? What's wrong with committing oneself to one's country??? I simply CANNOT believe the SHORT MEMORIES peeps here seem to be displaying. I speak here to those who grumble about being "forced" to say they "pledge themselves to America.

Guys, it's not been a year yet since September 11, or has everyone forgotten already? Are we that jaded? Was all that simply a horrific jolt out of the mundanity of life... and now it has worn off so we can go back to being fashionably politically correct?

If you live in this country, I mean born to it... or if you have come here and chosen our citizenship, then you'd damn well better be ready to pledge yourself to her... no matter how STUPID our leaders are.

I am SOOOO ready to start a REVOLUTION.

There. I said it in public...

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.192.166
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 06-27-2002 12:21 AM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I believe the case was that Church v. State thing... It just can't go on in schools... Which is just about the only place it does happen...
Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 65.80.160.195
Rathal

Member # 220

posted 06-27-2002 12:27 AM     Profile for Rathal   Author's Homepage   Email Rathal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Thats dangerous talk Graysith, remember big brother is watching.

But seriously, like I said before, I am dedicated to this country, I have not forgotten september eleventh I simply dont believe the government should decide whether or not we are allowed to say the pledge, If someone doesn't want to thats thier perrogitive. No one is being harmed by a bunch of people who pledge alliegence to the flag, and if someone is offended by "under god," then they should either ignore it, or think of what the true meaning of it is. There are so much more important things to be worried about that a few words in the pledge.

--------------------

My Characters: Rathal, Narcolm, Freedon Naad

"You'll never see the end of the road while your traveling with me."

Posts: 127 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 205.188.192.186
Recinis

Sith Protector

Member # 266

posted 06-27-2002 12:34 AM     Profile for Recinis   Author's Homepage   Email Recinis     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
anakin, good point....
Graysith, another good point...
and now, we hear another usless fact from me...

We need to follow our believes, as anakin said, the limit to freedom is when it takes someone elses away... That is a very good point, but also, flawed completly... because the only way to give freedom, without taking away freedom, is...impossible, by givign freedom, we must then take freedom, if we do not remove freedom, we would be really far off from were we were, people would be able to shoot eachother for no reason, and couldnt be trailed for it,
and yes I KNOW thats not at all what you had in mind, but im just trying to get you all to walk my path(as scary as that might seem.)

we must always remember that "god" is really just a refrence to a higher being, yes, it was used in reference to christian church, but "God" is just whatever you believe his higher then us, and even athiests have a being such as that, i know a few of them, some believe that they are the higher form of life, some believe that it is science, but its all the same thing, it is what we want it to be, and will continue to be that, so in reality there is no reason to change the pledge.

--------------------

---BMG

Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 06-27-2002 12:36 AM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I never said there was something wrong with saying the pledge. Do we or do we not have principles? I don't care if people who came before us didn't, but we do. We recognize other religions, therefore, the words must go. If it weren't something created/sponsored by the congress, it wouldn't be a big deal, but it is. It is everyone's pledge. No, you don't have to say it, you can pledge yourself in a different way, but to simply use that as an excuse to leave the words there is wrong and against our (or at least my) principles.

--------------------

Support Progress

Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 06-27-2002 12:43 AM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Recinis, you're wrong. Look up Atheism in the dictionary. Those people you're talking about are not atheists.

Second, what you said about freedom is screwy. It could be like this: "I want to kill him." "No, you'd be taking his freedom from him." "Well, then isn't my freedom being taken from me since I can't kill him?"

It could be like that, if we were all idiots. The way it is: "Your individual freedom only exists to the point where another person's individual freedom is taken by you. Therefore, to kill someone is not a freedom, as it is taking someone else's freedom from them. Taking someone's freedom who was intending to take your freedom can simply be written off as a fuck up.

--------------------

Support Progress

Recinis

Sith Protector

Member # 266

posted 06-27-2002 12:51 AM     Profile for Recinis   Author's Homepage   Email Recinis     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
i agree that the whole freedom thing i said would only happen if we were all idiots, but then again, look what it is thats happening.... it kinda brings our intellegence down a few levels...

and as for Atheism i looked it up, its the disbeliefe in a diety...and so yes,the poeple i know are atheists. as they dont believe in a diety, they simply believe in perhaps science as the creator... everyone has a believe for the workigns of the world...Atheism doesnt change that fact...

if you want to dispute what i just said, then heres the direct post from dictenary, ill make your life easer, and less hard to say im wrong...

"a disbelief in the existence of deity b : the doctrine that there is no deity " there it is...from webster himself

--------------------

---BMG

Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 06-27-2002 12:57 AM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Yea, right. You said your friends who are atheists still believe in a higher being. A higher being, the creator, that's a god. They aren't atheists. They could be if they believe in science alone, but not a higher being.

--------------------

Support Progress

TheKnot

Member # 213

posted 06-27-2002 01:41 AM     Profile for TheKnot   Author's Homepage   Email TheKnot     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
(...I'm starting to regret starting this thread.)

Has anyone here noticed that almost every tragedy that occurs in the United States brings its people closer together?

I mean, Pearl Harbor pushed the country into WW2, which we won. The assassinations of JFK and Martin Luther King, Jr. encouraged the government to change amendments in the Constitution. Heck, even the Civil War, the War of 1812, and the Revolution created the nation as it stands today.

Of course, September 11th was no different. Because of this tragedy, the world sympathized with us, people began to support Bush more, the military became more active in the Middle East, and Afghanistan was free of Taliban rule. Amazing, huh?

--------------------

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 06-27-2002 09:56 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
OK, just in keeping up:

So far, Congress, our Prez, and popular opinion polls are AGAINST this raging idiocy. And to think it all began with a father in California... who needs to go back to school himself and learn the difference between the terms "worship" and "ceremonial deism." He and the judge who made the ruling ought to be kicked out of America.

When we pledge our allegiance, it is to our flag and country, NOT to God. The Pledge does not say, "I pledge allegiance to the flag... ...and to our God." NO. It says, "under God," which is different. That line reflects the morality of this nation at the time of its birth... a morality which sorely needs to be replaced.

And hey, what about our currency? It DOES say, "In God We Trust" on it. Does this ruling pave the way to negating our very dollar?

I PLEDGE MY ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, AND TO THE REPUBLIC FOR WHICH IT STANDS:

A NATION BORN UNDER GOD, INDIVISIBLE, WITH LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL.

[ 06-27-2002 11:05 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.199.167
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 06-27-2002 10:10 AM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Ok anakin, i did word it wrong, i ment a higer being as in, something greater then ourselves, such as science...or even... JELLO!!! now thats the greatest force on earth!

and yes graysith, we californians tend to be dumbasses...sorry to say, but i have first hand experience of it, just look at the majority of my posts

--------------------

"Insert Snappy quote here"

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.225.96.118
TheKnot

Member # 213

posted 06-27-2002 05:44 PM     Profile for TheKnot   Author's Homepage   Email TheKnot     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
An interesting fact:

The phrase "under God" was added in 1954...about fifty years ago.

The Pledge of Allegiance was created in 1892...about a hundred years ago.

Another interesting fact:

The phrase "under God" was a means to seperate the United States, in which the popular religion was Christianity, from the Soviet Union, in which the popular religion that was being pushed was Atheism. Today, the United States is now more populated with different religions than before Cold War times, and now we're buddies with the Russians.

Do we really need "under God" in the pledge now?

Oh, and here's some thoughts:

Notice that "under God" the word God is spelled with a capitalized G. As far as I know, only one religion has a god as a deity spelled wih a capitalized G(Christians). Had this been simply "under god", which makes a better reference to other religions, most people would probably sit better with the pledge.

A law was passed in South Carolina recently in which pupils are allowed to say their prayers in schools. Now, say you were a Jew, Muslim, Buddhist, or any other religion, and you were FORCED to make a Christian prayer? How would you feel about that?

--------------------

All times are CT
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05