my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » Beyond Star Wars   » Favorite Drama (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Printable Version
Author Topic: Favorite Drama
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 09-09-2002 11:19 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, we know there are too many movies to pick from, so... what is your favorite Drama?
Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 65.80.163.115
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 09-09-2002 11:21 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
umm...STOP WITH THE INSISTANT MOVIE POSTS!!!!!!!! *Loses his mind* AARRRGGG!!!

ok, im better, i dont have a favorite drama, anythings good...

--------------------

"Insert Snappy quote here"

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.225.96.223
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 09-09-2002 11:23 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
heh, but... there really is no other way to find out your favorite movie, without making you go mad...

And don't worry, most dramas are COUGHCHICKFLICKSCOUGH COUGH...

[ 09-09-2002 11:25 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Loban ]

Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 65.80.163.115
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 09-09-2002 11:28 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
heh, i dont view them as 'chickflicks' i have to watch a drama now and again *grumbles* keeps me heart going, part of my being, i gotta cry now and again, even though real men dont cry... its better then me exploding at people in anger, so i dont complain.

--------------------

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.225.96.223
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 09-09-2002 11:32 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
*gets up, and slowly walks out of the room...*

some say they heard him mutter something...

'Titanic was good, I am comfortable saying that...'

Mara1Jade

Expanded Universe Goddess and Corran Obsessor

Member # 68

posted 09-09-2002 11:34 PM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Who says real men don't cry? That a societal cop-out. Real men who don't cry have SERIOUS HEALTH ISSUES usually.

And Dramas are NOT chick-flicks, you egghead. You don't think Star Wars isn't a major drama? That's one of its biggest components, i.e. "Space Opera"

My favorite dramas are Mr. Holland's Opus, all the Star Wars flicks, and Music of the Heart.

--------------------

Small minds think in small terms!
~~CMH, creator and writer of Shayla Petrolu, Erik Kartan, Shawn Petrolu, Terrin Danner, Jasyn Lancaster, Matt Stanza, Aaron Barnes, And Taylor Garrison~~

Posts: 972 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 66.20.157.94
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 09-09-2002 11:41 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
calm down...heh

first off, I said most are...

second, Action/Adventure and Science Fiction/Fantasy are all I can find for Star Wars...

and third... health issues!?

Mara1Jade

Member # 68

posted 09-09-2002 11:45 PM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, it's called heart attacks. You heard of them? And YES, Star Wars is part drama. Ask the great GL, he CALLS it a "Space Opera."

--------------------

~~CMH, creator and writer of Shayla Petrolu, Erik Kartan, Shawn Petrolu, Terrin Danner, Jasyn Lancaster, Matt Stanza, Aaron Barnes, And Taylor Garrison~~

Posts: 972 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 66.20.157.94
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 09-09-2002 11:48 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok... what does not crying have to do with heart attacks?

and...

Space opera would be 'Fantasy'... thus, not true drama, in the sense of the genre...

actually... the only movie that was labeled 'drama' would be Episode 1...
http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&cf=info&id=1800379216&intl=us

[ 09-09-2002 11:52 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Loban ]

Mara1Jade

Member # 68

posted 09-09-2002 11:56 PM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bottling emotions up inside you is very bad for your mental and physical health.

And Star Wars IS A DRAMA, I don't care what source you are quoting. I think some other people around here would agree with me.

Get back to topic.

Favorite dramas, anyone else?

--------------------

Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 09-09-2002 11:59 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
getting back to topic you mean?

but, first... one more point... heh, never mind, you win... it's a drama...

also... you can express your emotions without crying...

now, back to our regularly scheduled topic...

[ 09-10-2002 12:02 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Loban ]

BobPalpatine

Foo Fighter

Member # 17

posted 09-10-2002 12:45 AM     Profile for BobPalpatine   Author's Homepage   Email BobPalpatine     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I really don't put SW in the drama genre, because it is more lumped in a Sci-fi genre. Although there are some dramtic moments, it in itself is not a drama like what Loban is asking about.

I would have to say my favorite drama is Life as a House. If any of you have not seen this yet, you must check it out. Very well made movie. It also stars Hayden Christensen if you want another excuse to see it.

Ohh, and not all drama's are chick flicks. Just because they are intelligent movies and play on the heart doesn't make a movie a chick flick. Anyone who thinks that apparently has troubles with their sexuailty.

--------------------

"Can't you hear my motored heart? Your the one that started it!"

-Foo Fighters "Generator"

Cogito ergo sum

BobPalpatine
Holonet Admin

Posts: 681 | From: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  Logged: 204.184.55.86
Taehun

Dark Jedi

Member # 290

posted 09-10-2002 12:45 AM     Profile for Taehun   Author's Homepage   Email Taehun     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hands down, Godfather is the best movie that I consider to be a drama.

If you want to consider the SW films as drama, then I think Top Gun should be right there too. Hey, I see you laughing! Don't laugh! We all know the great dramas involve human suffering, and Maverick suffered after Goose died!

--------------------

All in all it was just another brick in the wall,
all in all you were just another brick in the wall.

Posts: 248 | From: USAFA, CO | Registered: Jul 2002  |  Logged: 152.163.188.199
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 09-10-2002 12:51 AM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
For the last time... I said most were chick flicks, besides... it was a joke in the most part, hehe haha?
Mara1Jade

Member # 68

posted 09-11-2002 12:12 AM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ummm, no haha.

And another Drama I like is Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea. And they got a nifty Continuing Story of Anne of Green Gables out too.

Yeah, chick flick. Just shut up, it's good stuff.

--------------------

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-11-2002 12:17 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmmm.... I'd have to say, "Ordinary People" and "Lorenzo's Oil" and "A Beautiful Mind" and "Erin Brockovitch," although I don't really know if the last one is really considered a drama.

And LO AND BEHOLD!! BOB!!! WE AGREE!!!! Star Wars is sci-fi adventure allllll the way, even though there are mildly dramatic components in it/them.

Space opera, by the way, tends to denote something "campy," not dramatic.

[ 09-11-2002 12:18 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.209.6
Mara1Jade

Member # 68

posted 09-11-2002 12:21 AM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I somehow do not denote "opera" as anything campy. I think Wagner might take offense. But everyone seems to think I'm wrong, so point made.

I liked A Beautiful Mind myself.

[ 09-11-2002 12:23 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Mara1Jade ]

--------------------

Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 09-11-2002 12:45 AM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I go for the tragedy dramas... i.e. titanic, and pearl harbor...
BobPalpatine

Foo Fighter

Member # 17

posted 09-11-2002 04:13 PM     Profile for BobPalpatine   Author's Homepage   Email BobPalpatine     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Titantic and Pearl Harbor?

Your kidding me right? I thought they were "teh suq", but thats just me. I thought the acting was mediocre in both movies, and the scripts weren't really that impressive. I was ticked when Titanic won as many Oscars as it did.

A Beautiful Mind is a great movie. What's funny is that he is from the same area as my grandma's family, and she still has family from there. Guess what her maiden name was? Yup that is right, Nash. There is a very good possibilty that he is related to my line of Nash's. I find that pretty neat. Sooo if its true I could be a genius or a schizo...or both. Probably just a schizo though.

--------------------

"Can't you hear my motored heart? Your the one that started it!"

-Foo Fighters "Generator"

Cogito ergo sum

BobPalpatine
Holonet Admin

Posts: 681 | From: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  Logged: 204.184.54.134
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 09-11-2002 04:23 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I loved Titanic when it came out. I saw it more times than I saw Episode 1 and 2 in theaters. Of course, since third grade I had had a real interest in the Titanic, and when the movie came out, it just made it real. I thought the script was very well written and the film was very well made. I didn't cry though, why would you cry at the movie when you know he'll end up dying?

The ship was sinking, he was in third class, that should tell you he's a dead man...

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 12.220.189.75
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 09-11-2002 08:07 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
But it was Leo...

Heh... A lot of cryin women, I'll tell ya that...

Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 09-16-2002 09:10 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bob pointed out that his favorite drama was Life As A House. I finally rented it, he's right, it's really good. It starts out strange, but it's really good. I never watch the same movie two days in a row, but I watched this yesterday and today. Go rent it!

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 12.220.189.75
Jamel Garth

LumbiaSith
Member # 336

posted 09-16-2002 09:30 PM     Profile for Jamel Garth   Author's Homepage   Email Jamel Garth     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mara1Jade:[QB]Who says real men don't cry? That a societal cop-out. Real men who don't cry have SERIOUS HEALTH ISSUES usually.

And Dramas are NOT chick-flicks, you egghead. You don't think Star Wars isn't a major drama? That's one of its biggest components, i.e. "Space Opera"

My favorite dramas are Mr. Holland's Opus, all the Star Wars flicks, and Music of the Heart.[/QB]

I think people a bit to serious here...hmmm **walks off**

--------------------

"The Castle in the Sky.."-Jamel Garth

Posts: 117 | From: Somewhere in the Galaxy | Registered: Sep 2002  |  Logged: 12.213.76.134
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 09-16-2002 10:24 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ummm... Ok, i want to point out a few things i guess i been outa this thread for to long, first, yes loban, bottling your emotions is bad... trust me ive gone most of my known life keeping every hint of emotion to myself, its not a good thing, sometimes you do have to just let it out, i only cry when i need to, but i never go against myself when it has to be done, there are those moments when you just gotta hug someone and tell um how you feel, or you gonna die of stress.

an second, "opera" does NOT have to be drama, so starwars being a "space opera" does not mean its a drama, yes, its dramatic sometimes, woohoo...its also funny sometimes "comic-opera" right there... But then, star wars is just great in most aspects, so heh...
there, all aspects which eminated from my first post have been cleared.. i am no longer responsible for any actions within the confines of this thread.

--------------------

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.225.96.144
Jamel Garth

LumbiaSith
Member # 336

posted 09-16-2002 10:29 PM     Profile for Jamel Garth   Author's Homepage   Email Jamel Garth     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is one reason why I really dont like posting around this place other then for Role Playing. I know seriousness and maturity is a must in the world, but could somehow show a sense of silliness. Let it all hang out, we dont go on the internet to have serious replies to unserious statements. I just find it kinda mean...

--------------------

"The Castle in the Sky.."-Jamel Garth

Posts: 117 | From: Somewhere in the Galaxy | Registered: Sep 2002  |  Logged: 12.213.76.134

All times are CT
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05