my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Role Playing   » RP Headquarters   » Yet More Hurricane Fun.... (rah) (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Printable Version
Author Topic: Yet More Hurricane Fun.... (rah)
Mara1Jade

Expanded Universe Goddess and Corran Obsessor

Member # 68

posted 09-25-2004 04:30 AM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, just FYI for everyone, they are predicting that Jax is going to get NAILED starting late tomorrow night/early Sunday morning. We live nearby a power substation and are at least a bit away from the beach, so hopefully we won't have any major effects. However, if for some reason I disappear...

...please be patient. Frances, which was only a tropical storm, knocked out some people's power for about a week. I'll try to keep you posted, and if for some reason I'm NOT doing that, this will probably mean I'm without power.

So cross your fingers and pray, folks. The hurricane season is getting really old...

[ 09-25-2004 04:31 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Mara1Jade ]

--------------------

Small minds think in small terms!
~~CMH, creator and writer of Shayla Petrolu, Erik Kartan, Shawn Petrolu, Terrin Danner, Jasyn Lancaster, Matt Stanza, Aaron Barnes, And Taylor Garrison~~

Posts: 972 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 68.214.87.148
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-25-2004 07:15 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sheesh, kiddo, what can I say?

I'm doing my best trying to direct these puppies away from you ("I ride the stormcloud and the night!" you know... heh) but it just isn't working.

*gloom*

I hope you get through Jeanne without any major mishap. I'll be thinking of you, and will also be keeping my eyes peeled on the weather in Florida.

Hey, here's a thought: MOVE TO IOWA. Then you only have to deal with drought and flood and tornadoes and blizzards and... and...

Yeah, stay there. What's another lil ol hurricane?

Seriously, I'm praying for ya.

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 65.103.180.182
Cult Master Raelgosh

Member # 542

posted 09-25-2004 05:19 PM     Profile for Cult Master Raelgosh   Author's Homepage   Email Cult Master Raelgosh     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Crosses Fingers!

--------------------

I have been thrown across the planes of time, but that does not change that no one will ever stand in my way.

Posts: 62 | From: Past, Present, Future | Registered: Jun 2004  |  Logged: 216.160.191.93
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-25-2004 06:19 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I just went to NOAA.GOV, where I follow all weather (including local weather; I figure, let's go straight to the horse's mouth!).

The current visible image shown has the eye of Jeanne just hanging off the southeast coast of Florida... maybe thinking of coming ashore by Miami???

That was on this date at 17:45 UTC, which according to my calculation puts it about 12:45 CDT or 13:45 Eastern time. (I BELIEVE UTC is Universal Time at Greenwich.)

Which, according to my computer clock was about 20 minutes ago.

Mara... I think you might be in for some rain. As I understand hurricanes, it seems the eastern parts of them are where the big accompanying storms are, but at least, going by the image, you are clear out on the far edge.

Hopefully you won't get nailed as hard as predicted.

I'm watching....

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.116.198
Mara1Jade

Member # 68

posted 09-25-2004 08:12 PM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, so far I am still here. However, the wind is picking up, and we had major power outages just off of tropical storm winds during Frances. At any rate, I'll be here unless the power goes or we are evacuated. I'll just have to wait and see...

--------------------

~~CMH, creator and writer of Shayla Petrolu, Erik Kartan, Shawn Petrolu, Terrin Danner, Jasyn Lancaster, Matt Stanza, Aaron Barnes, And Taylor Garrison~~

Posts: 972 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 68.214.87.148
Mara1Jade

Member # 68

posted 09-27-2004 12:22 AM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just an update--

We have sustained winds at 45 and gusts up to 60 right now. We are also currently under a tornado warning--one has been sighted nearby. Right now I obviously still have power, but that may or may not change. So far there have been power outages and there has been significant tree damage due to winds. Power has flickered here several times.

Just so you all know what is going on.

--------------------

Sa'kal'ishaalas

Member # 532

posted 10-14-2004 02:42 AM     Profile for Sa'kal'ishaalas   Author's Homepage   Email Sa'kal'ishaalas     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have a better idea Graysith. You should all move to California. We have to deal with an earthquake, what, every 50 years or so. I've never felt one. You get 40 degree weather at the coldest where I live and 120 at the hottest (which is the record set about 10 years ago, ask Cult Master Raelgosh about it), but it mostly stays around 65-80, so come join me here in warm, sunny California!

Earthquakes are nothing!!! But how do you guys live with tornados, hurricanes, blizzards and the such. The worst I've had it is a drought once. Oh, and Gray Davis with rolling blackouts. But now we have the GOVENATOR!

Posts: 173 | From: | Registered: May 2004  |  Logged: 67.164.11.178
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 10-14-2004 03:19 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I wouldn't scoff so lightheartedly at an earthquake if I were you. They too can be very damaging, and are even more unpredictable than tornadoes and hurricanes.

At least people under hurricane threat have an early warning that one is coming... and we in the Midwest, if not warned about the onset of an actual tornado, have learned to watch and read the sky and be ready to skedaddle to safety when one comes.

You guys get an awful lot of rain, too. I'd rather have snow, really, than all the sogginess and wet and damp. Cold air is dry air, and doesn't chill as nastily as cooler, humid air does, which is what you have there.

If I had my choice, I'd move to Tucson! Yeah, that's the ticket. Hot, dry desert, yeah.

And clear, cool to downright chilly nights! Talk about great for observation!

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 65.103.180.182
Sa'kal'ishaalas

Member # 532

posted 10-14-2004 04:24 AM     Profile for Sa'kal'ishaalas   Author's Homepage   Email Sa'kal'ishaalas     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Where do you think I live, southern California? I live up north, where I do get rain alot durring the winter, but the weather isn't bad. It isn't a huge downpour of rain either, but it is fairly cold. But when you enjoy the rain, it's good.

While it is true, earthquakes are damaging (they often crack the foundations of houses) they rarely do any damage. The earthquake that damaged San Francisco so badly 15 years ago did so much damgage because the houses were built on garbage dumps (dumasses), and the fire did more damage than anything. But damaging earthquakes are far and few between, so I still think that California is the best. Plus, in two days, you can go from warm, humid weather (Southern California) to desert (Death Valley) to snow (Sierra Nevadas), to rain (its going to be somewhere)
to grape vines (where I live) to just about anything else except for tropical rainforest. Plus, in about an hours drive I can go see where they filmed Endor!!!

Ask Cult Master Raelgosh, I'm sure he'll most likely agree with me. By the way, when do you think I can come over to your house in Denver for snowboarding?

[ 10-14-2004 04:26 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Sa'kal'ishaalas ]

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 10-14-2004 05:24 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How would I know where in CA you live? Most people automatically think of CA in terms of southern CA, which I do to, even though I've traveled throughout the state and do like the northern half much better (I love the Cascades) than the southern part. For southern climes, gimme Florida, hurricanes and all.

But... EXCUSE ME??? Earthquakes not damaging? Err-- methinks you should ponder that a bit longer. The Richter Scale is logarithmic; a 7 or 8 mag earthquake is severely damaging, and a 9 to 10 downright devastating.

Actually, geologically speaking, I think the sandier rock moves better with the quake, and less damage occurs on the surface than in the case of a harder, more brittle or denser rock. But your theory aside: just ask the people in Anchorage, Alaska who went through that awful 1964 earthquake how "little damage" was caused... and they'd laugh in your face. Streets were ripped asunder, buildings flattened, electric and gas lines ripped apart, myriad fires started, many people died....

There is also something called liquifaction, in which sandy soil is jarred loosely apart from itself, the pore spaces having filled with water, which allows anything to sink into it during the quake. This hardens as the quake halts... instant and deadly quicksand.

Finally, in the late 1800s there was the utterly devastating New Madrid earthquake which hit the middle of the continent. It changed the course of the Mississippi River.

I think you need to hit the earth science books a bit more.

And why do you think I live in Denver -- unless it is Cult Master Raelgosh you refer to?

--------------------

Cult Master Raelgosh

Member # 542

posted 10-14-2004 09:06 PM     Profile for Cult Master Raelgosh   Author's Homepage   Email Cult Master Raelgosh     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Sa'kal, you can come over.... when you pay for the plane fee. jk jk. But still, Graysith's right. Just because our old area never got hit hard, doesn't mean earthquakes can't hurt, here's a wierd al yankovich quote to prove you wronge: I watchin my tv one night when they broke in with a special report, it was about some devestating earth quake, in peru. There were 30,000 crushed to death, even more, were burried alive, on the rictor scale it measured, 8.2.

That's the important part of the song anyway, so locationwise, I'd say Sa'kal is right, disaster, graysith. Though one think GS, it's only SUPER RAINY during el-nino, which the last one was in '97. Which means we're due for one. Though if you drive through nevada and utah, you may think it's going on right now. It's actually green.

--------------------

I have been thrown across the planes of time, but that does not change that no one will ever stand in my way.

Posts: 62 | From: Past, Present, Future | Registered: Jun 2004  |  Logged: 67.41.217.147
Sa'kal'ishaalas

Member # 532

posted 10-15-2004 12:12 AM     Profile for Sa'kal'ishaalas   Author's Homepage   Email Sa'kal'ishaalas     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
True, earthquakes are damaging, but if you think about it, the most damage done by earthquakes is to places with poor construction in their buildings. I'm not saying we're impervious to earthquakes, but they have alot less effect on us.
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 10-15-2004 04:26 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ummm... yeah, Right.

Er, I believe engineers worldwide (at least in non-third-world countries) are STILL developing construction codes that withstand earthquakes, and are coming up with more and more unique methods for buildings to "sway" with them instead of cracking.

Ummm... the Northridge quake in the 90s hit in LA where they had the most up-to-date codes (for the time) and STILL freeways crumpled, buildings flattened, and again people died.

You can't just up and say that "damage is done just to places where construction is poor." That is way over-generalized and indeed quite a naive view of what is really going on in the world when it comes to natural disasters.

Yes, there is MEGA devastation in poorer countries who construct adobe homes with no foundation to speak up, which pulverize when quakes would strike. But according to what you are saying, Tokyo (as well as other areas in Japan and Hong Kong) and LA and San Francisco and other "up-to-date" locales would be basically impervious to a quake hitting them.

History has proven this to be wrong time and time again.

Another thing to consider is the type of earthquake: the Northridge one was a slope-slip one, I believe, (Ok, that's not the actual geological term, but I've gone brain-dead, so it will have to do until I can look up the term) anyway, it's the kind where the two crustal portions went up and down relative to each other instead of sideways. This was utterly unexpected, and a bit more severe than the more "normal" strike-slip which go sideways.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.116.198
Sa'kal'ishaalas

Member # 532

posted 10-16-2004 06:33 AM     Profile for Sa'kal'ishaalas   Author's Homepage   Email Sa'kal'ishaalas     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Now, I never said we were IMPERVIOUS to earthquakes, and I'm positive that damage would be severe if a large enough earthquake hit anywhere. But what I am saying, most of the earthquakes in my area you don't even feel unless you are REALLY close to the epicenter, and then the extent of the damage is a crack in the foundation or building. Now compare that to hurricanes, tornados, blizzards, floods and tsunami's (new topic, i know), earthquakes are fairly minor when you think about it. Now if you live near (and I mean very near, to the grapevines, your house WILL flood almost every winter (once again, ask Cult Master Raelgosh). I am not saying that no damage is done by earthquakes, but at least your roof doesn't get ripped off, you lose power for several days and most of your stuff is ruined. I still think California is better, but I like other places too. My question is, if you were near a epicenter of an earthquake, the brunt of a hurricane or right in the path of a tornado, what is going to cause the most damage? You know my opinion.
Sa'kal'ishaalas

Member # 532

posted 10-16-2004 06:37 AM     Profile for Sa'kal'ishaalas   Author's Homepage   Email Sa'kal'ishaalas     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And I didn't say the up-to-date locales were impervious, I said that earthquakes had alot less effect. If you think about what you said, and paid better attention to what I said in the post before you responded, I said that the damage is reduced as more buildings are designed to sway instead of topple (I have watched an entire video about how buildings cope with earthquakes in engineering class, so I know what you are talking about). But I know they are not impervious. But my point is we get a seriously damaging earthquake, like once every 10 years, yet hurricanes, tornados and the such occur every year. Tell me, which sounds worse now?

[ 10-16-2004 06:39 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Sa'kal'ishaalas ]

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 10-17-2004 08:27 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Earthquakes, definitely, are worse.

1. One has no warning whatsoever of their approach.

2. The destruction is generally more widespread than in a tornado.

There are an average of 34 tornadoes A YEAR in Iowa, yet we don't hear much about them. They mostly form, hit a field, and dissipate; the majority are F-1's or maybe an F-2. As with most disasters, it's the big ones that get sensationalized by the media, and mislead the public into thinking that's what a tornado (or an earthquake, or a typhoon or a hurricane or a whatever) is all about.

It's always the worst of the worst that adheres in peoples' minds. I understand what you are saying about earthquakes perhaps not being as damaging IN YOUR AREA... but that is like me saying the same thing for me here in the Midwest. (Oh yes, we get earthquakes too, did you know that? Mostly little ones that go completely unnoticed.) And more along this line: you are basing your facts on a very slim set of statistics: perhaps a severe earthquake might come along every ten years or so in California, but they happen somewhere EVERY YEAR, SOMEWHERE on the earth, and cause untold damage and death and destruction. (Just like there is always a volcanic eruption going on somewhere, we just don't hear much about these things unless it directly effects us here in the USA, which is really not good when you come to think of it.)

So to be fair, we should be comparing the worst of the worst: earthquake to hurricane to tornado.

If given a choice, I'd take facing a tornado any day (which I have, by the way), since you have warning and can get away. Damage, for the most part, while severe, is localized except for the odd exception which happens along rarely.

Second, I'd face a hurricane. Again, there is time enough to get safely away. But regarding hurricanes, they are far more dangerous than a tornado (heck, they spawn tornadoes!) and kill far, far more people.

Finally, the last critter I'd want to be in the middle of is a large earthquake. And it is simply because there is no advance warning of its approach, and no clear path to run FOR SAFETY when it does hit. (Where do you run in an earthquake???) Whether or not you happen to be at the epicenter or along the active fault-line at the time it strikes is purely a matter of luck, and luck alone.

Not to mention that earthquakes can and do trigger tsunamis, which in turn kill lots and lots of people as well. This on top of the ruptured gas mains and all the fires that have to be combated without water, since the water mains usually rupture right along with the gas ones. Oh yeah, and the mudslides and avalanches and liquifaction...

Gimme a tornado any day. It's local, short-lived, hits hard and goes away. But at least, because of early warning systems and Doppler radar, there are increasingly more and more people who live through them to pick up those pieces and put them back together again.

[ 10-17-2004 08:36 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 65.101.171.87
Sa'kal'ishaalas

Member # 532

posted 10-18-2004 12:59 AM     Profile for Sa'kal'ishaalas   Author's Homepage   Email Sa'kal'ishaalas     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I figure that almost everywhere earthquakes happen, and it is the same for me where I live: most go unnoticed. Now while you cannot tell when an earthquake is going to happen, you can't really tell when a tornado is going to form until it already has. And the thing about earthquakes though: if your outside, then you will 90% of the time be fine (unless you get crushed by a falling whatever) and earthquakes themselves do not kill. It causes things to collapse and kill people. Plus, this whole argument came from me saying that California is better so you don't have to deal with hurricanes or tornados. And I do know that tornados don't do too much damage to something unless they come in contact with something, with the rare exception of a large enough body (not person body, but anything like a car or something of that matter) crashing into your house or you. But I watched a show about tornados once, and a piece of wood launced by a tornado will go straight through wood, almost breaks through concrete and ricochets off of reinforced concrete. But anyway, heres my list:

1. Earthquakes. I've said enough on this anyway.
2. Tornado. While damaging to a very strict area aroung the tornado, they leave most other things alone.
3. Hurricane. Like Gray said, the hurricanes spawn tornados.

But you still have to realize, ALL OF THESE ARE DAMAGING. It doesn't matter what you believe, all of them still do damage.

Oh, your Force 1 and Force 2 tornados are about as common as unnoticed earthquakes in California.

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 10-18-2004 04:00 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ummm... I still don't understand what you mean by saying "earthquakes themselves don't kill people."

By that reasoning, neither do tornadoes or hurricanes. It's all the other stuff they trigger/cause that causes the damage, so that's a silly statement to make.

(And... in some weird and rare cases, the tornado itself does NOT kill. I have read reports where animals -- and sometimes people, too -- have been physically picked up by the tornado, only to have been set down, very shaken, bruised, but alive.)

But... as I did mention, earthquakes themselves CAN kill, sheesh... liquifaction of soil has happened more than once, and this happens during the quake itself and is when normally solid ground turns semi-liquid and makes things sink. Then the quake ends, the ground returns to normal, and anything that sunk into it in the meantime... well, I rest my case about that.

And as for not knowing about where a tornado is going to form, yes we do have a pretty good clue, which is more than I can say about an earthquake. Doppler radar shows us upper level rotation (the infamous "hook") which usually means a tornado is going to form sometime soon from that particular storm cell. The entire cell itself can be tracked, so we know in which direction it is heading. People here read the sky, looking for the wall cloud which usually accompanies this kind of storm system; even though we might not have the exact location down to seconds of a degree pinpointed, we have general area and heading. A spotted rotating wall cloud is a pretty good indication that a funnel is likely to touch down within a mile (or usually much less) from where it is spotted.

Again, we have enough warning over a general area for people within that area to seek shelter. The same goes for people within a hurricane warning, only in their case they usually have more time in which to depart the area.

You simply cannot do that with an earthquake. It's their unpredictability that makes them so dangerous, in my opinion, more dangerous than hurricanes or tornadoes. And when you line up the statistics, you'll find earthquakes are far more deadly than tornadoes. Far, far more people have been killed in earthquakes than have ever been by tornadoes.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 65.101.171.87
Sa'kal'ishaalas

Member # 532

posted 10-18-2004 04:25 AM     Profile for Sa'kal'ishaalas   Author's Homepage   Email Sa'kal'ishaalas     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sorry, I was sick when I made that statement about earthquakes not killing people outright, so please forgive my logic of that time. Oh, and anything else that didn't really make sense.

While it is true that hurricanes and tornados are much easier to track, I'd still rather be in the middle of an earthquake. Your statistics for earthquakes killing more than tornados my have been true in the past, but if you think about this:

In the last five years, how many people have been killed in California by earthquakes?

Also, how many people have died in tornados in the last five years in "Tornado Alley" (it's around the same size as California anyway)?

If you think about it, even in the last ten years the deaths in tornados out numbers that of earthquakes.

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 10-18-2004 04:31 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ummm... you need to expand your paradigms.

I am speaking globally. Earthquakes GLOBALLY are more dangerous and deadly than tornadoes.

And, "tornado alley" is a tad wee bigger than California, I believe. Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas (the leader in tornado production, by the way), Nebraska, Iowa... parts of Illinois, Indiana, Missouri...

Oh yeah, lessee, tornadoes begin forming in late winter in the Florida area, then spread across the southeast until finally winding up following their "tornado alley" pattern, usually in May and June.

So, you see, tornadoes form over a far larger area than you think, and still earthquakes kill more people than they do.

--------------------

Sa'kal'ishaalas

Member # 532

posted 10-18-2004 09:34 PM     Profile for Sa'kal'ishaalas   Author's Homepage   Email Sa'kal'ishaalas     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, but this whole conversation was about California being better than the midwest. But besides that, I'm kinda tired about arguing. This was mostly an experiment for me. I've noticed how people in other parts of the country think that earthquakes are really terrible (but I have never felt one in my entire life), and I consider tornados and hurricanes to be worse. Anyway, when you think about it Gray, there are not very many tornados in the world (to my knowledge, so correct me if I'm wrong), and there are thousands of earthquakes all over the world, mainly around the "Ring of Fire" so it is logical more people would die from earthquakes each year than in tornados. More people die from hurricanes each year however than earthquakes. Anyway, I don't want to argue too much more on this topic anyway. I see your point but I still believe that tornados are more damaging than earthquakes in the United States.
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 10-19-2004 08:13 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Have you experienced a tornado or a hurricane? If not, you are basing your premise on hearsay.

I base mine on facts I have learned by studying this topic, as well as upon the fact that I have had an actual brush with a tornado -- one landed in my backyard a couple years ago.

Scary, yes.

Tornados are indeed nasty, but extremely localized for the most part, and thus cause less damage overall. Hurricanes and earthquakes cause more widespread damage per event, when comparing say a category 4-5 hurricane, an F-5 tornado, and an earthquake measuring 8+ on the Richter scale.

Go read FEMA reports. Calls for federal assistance go out far more times in relationship to a hurricane or earthquake's strike (versus that of a tornado) and for far greater financial assistance. (Millions, and I think now actually billions -- Hurricane Charley -- versus hundreds of thousands to perhaps a million or so in the case of a "killer tornado."

Oh yeah, "killer tornados" wipe out people on the scale of tens at a time, while hurricanes and earthquakes easily hit hundreds if not thousands.

And you have no advance warning of when an earthquake is going to hit, such as you do in the case of a tornado or a hurricane.

Oh yeah, ok, so you are now stating you meant in California and not globally. Ok...

What about all the wildfires the west coast seems to get? Mudslides?? They're no fun either.

Nope, gimme Iowa's changing seasons, the occasional ice storm or blizzard, and even less occurring (actually causing damage, that is) tornado. Way better than having your house burned down or slide off a cliff, or crumpled when an unseen earthquake strikes.

California has lovely weather, true (except for the cold rains in the winter) but that's about the only pro I see to possibly balance out the cons of living on an active faultline. And in exchange, I'll take stable ground over anything. So --

Mountains? I'll take Colorado, or maybe Wyoming (although there is a risk there, it's called Yellowstone, which is an active hotspot -- actually, all the lakes in the park are old volcanic calderas!) and for weather????

Gimme Arizone.

Mmmm... yeah. Arizona.

And truly, if I wanted pure beauty and "mountains" another place I'd love to live is Washington, even with the volcanoes they have popping off there. That's a nicer climate than people think, actually. Yeah, they get rain but their climate is moderated by the ocean (at least in Seattle, which is a city I'd move to in a hearbeat if I could.

That one and Tucson....)

--------------------

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 10-19-2004 08:19 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ahh... now I see you have stated that there are few tornadoes globally (TRUE) and far more earthquakes (ALSO TRUE) due to the tectonic nature of our planet.

But... historically, more people have died in earthquakes in California than in tornadoes in the Midwest... I think. I know the actual number of people killed by tornadoes is less than you think... and I believe that less people have been killed in tornadoes in Iowa (historically) than by earthquakes in California.

Anyway, you are comparing a state with a region, which is skewed as well. (CA vs Midwest).

The point I am trying to make here is that you are expressing an opinion, your own belief, which is your perogative.

I am stating my response, which I too am entitled to, but I am trying to base mine on facts and not just "what I believe."

Now, I need to go check on those figures about tornado-caused deaths in Iowa.

[ 10-19-2004 08:21 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 10-19-2004 08:24 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh yes, and finally....

When it comes to the event that causes the most damage of all in the entire USA, it is the phenomenon known as "creep."

Hehe.. it's insidious. Hits slowly, over time. Causes billions of damage.

Is unstoppable, for the most part.

And strikes any place in the USA which has rain, any level of relief (actually, the lower the relief, the more this is going to hit) and has any time in the year where the temperature drops below freezing (32 deg. F).

--------------------

Rykounagin

Son of Conflict

Member # 531

posted 10-19-2004 09:25 PM     Profile for Rykounagin   Author's Homepage   Email Rykounagin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ok, You two going at it is quite funny. LOOK! We all have places we like, or want to live, and that's cool. I for one love just about all of america (save wyoming, utah, and nevada, they're damn boring). I currently am finding colorado's views amazing, along with lack of bad weather (never has any global disaster hit the area I live in). I know that the middle east is quite enjoyable, sure the occasional tornado in the alley and blizzards higher up! The east coast, well probably some of the most beautiful land I've ever seen, though they do seem to be very rain prone (I was there in july last, and it rained the whole time). The west coast, honestly, no matter how cool and with great looks, is on an overall scale, a disaster zone. Sorry to break support sa'kal! But it rains constantly during the winter, floods alot (much experience here), dries up alot, gets earthquakes (reguardless of their non-frequency in the area we lived in Sa'kal) and graysith is right! There is no "world solution" to earthquakes, and when they hit, can be the weakest, or most devestating things that happen. All in all, we just need to realize good and bad happens everywhere, no where is perfect! (accept for steamboat springs Colorado, I love that place, and nothing bad is there 'cept the sulfer smell around their lake). Anyway, love and hate what you like!

*I LOVE EARTH*

--------------------

"I'm not afraid to keep on living, I'm not afraid to walk this world alone;" -Black Parade

Posts: 869 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  Logged: 63.231.89.224

All times are CT
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05