my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Role Playing   » RP Headquarters   » Yet More Hurricane Fun.... (rah) (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Printable Version
Author Topic: Yet More Hurricane Fun.... (rah)
Sa'kal'ishaalas

Member # 532

posted 10-20-2004 02:46 AM     Profile for Sa'kal'ishaalas   Author's Homepage   Email Sa'kal'ishaalas     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, everyone is titled to their own opinion HOW DARE YOU BREAK SUPPORT WITH ME and I still believe what I believe in WHEN I CONTROL THE WORLD YOUR DEATH WILL BE SLOW AND PAINFUL!!!.

Just kidding. Anyway, just because you lived in a valley that is the lowest point around and would naturally flood doesn't mean California is a disaster zone. Oh, concerning Tornado Ally Gray, I thought it was only a few states long from what I understood. And I am basing my ideas from proof from what I have learned throughout my childhood (I had a very sad and deprived childhood, so I read books on these type of things)(just kidding about the childhood being deprived) and experience.

Well, I think your argument has merit Gray, but I still believe what I believe. And it is pretty funny to look back and see us going back and forth. Anywho, I really don't want to argue anymore so:

Earthquakes are more dangerous than tornados or hurricanes. Period. Maybe. No, they are. Wait, they aren't. No, no more arguing, they are. DANIEL, STOP POINTING THAT GUN AT ME!!! YOU ARE NOT TO ARGUE ANYMORE!!!

Sorry, at the risk of being shot, earthquakes are more dangerous. Oh, by the way, what is creep?

[ 10-20-2004 03:02 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Sa'kal'ishaalas ]

Posts: 173 | From: | Registered: May 2004  |  Logged: 67.164.11.178
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 10-20-2004 06:36 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Creep is... well, "creep." The slow and insidious sliding downhill of the soil. It happens when over the warm months the ground takes on moisture in the pore spaces in the soil. Then when winter freezes, the ground heaves up (perpendicular to the ground, whatever the slope; I mean it "heaves upward" at a ninety degree angle to the ground/slope, hard to describe without a drawing. But picture whatever the slope of the ground, be it low or high, and a line laying flat on the ground/slope; the soil "heaves up" at a ninety degree angle to that.)

THEN in the spring when thaw comes, the frozen moisture returns to a liquid state, and the ground responds to gravity and is pulled "downward" -- ie, toward the center of the earth.

(Oh yeah, this is because water expands as it freezes, instead of contracting. Think of filling an ice cube tray too full before freezing.)

So over time, the soil "heaves upward," then "falls downward" and in the process inches bit by bit downhill, taking everything with it. And it doesn't need a steep slope, either; in fact, this process works better on a low slope, like a simple one someone might have in their backyard.

(Except for you guys who live in Colorado with a mountain in yours!)

You see signs of this everywhere if you know where to look: leaning fenceposts, cracked foundations, trees tipping downhill, and so on.

Seriously, while creep never killed anybody (at least not to my knowledge; someone might have been smushed by a telephone pole when it finally toppled...) it causes the most damage (billions of dollars) in the US -- and probably elsewhere, too. This is because it just keeps on happening, all the time, year after year, and affects practically everyone in some manner or another, and there isn't much you can do except keep building retaining walls and rip-rapping and moating off foundations and so on. Heh... and that costs money, too!

And now, about this whole "tornado-earthquake-hurricane" thing...

NO NO NO.

IT'S THE CRASHING FOOT OF THE JOLLY GREEN GIANT.

Yeah, that's the most dangerous... hehe.

HEY. We forgot about volcanoes!

But really, I agree with the overall statement: every place has its pros and cons, there is beauty everywhere if you look for it, that's what makes our country so great, we have all kinds of climates and topography from which to choose to live in.

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.116.198
Sa'kal'ishaalas

Member # 532

posted 10-20-2004 03:28 PM     Profile for Sa'kal'ishaalas   Author's Homepage   Email Sa'kal'ishaalas     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, Raelgosh's infinite wisdom helps bring an end to the argument. It's been fun however.
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 10-20-2004 07:29 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nope, I wouldn't say it was Raelgosh's infinite wisdom...

You agreed with me. It's in writing!!!

[ 10-20-2004 07:30 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.100.196
Sa'kal'ishaalas

Member # 532

posted 10-21-2004 12:05 AM     Profile for Sa'kal'ishaalas   Author's Homepage   Email Sa'kal'ishaalas     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It wouldn't be in writing unless SOMEBODY hadn't been pointing a gun at my head...just kidding.

Well, actually Gray, I would have to say that due to your convincing argument, if I was in a third world country I'd be downright afraid of earthquakes. But here, I'd say tornados and earthquakes are about the same, but I still say if you are stuck in a hurricane, it's the worse. But considering my plans to live in Florida, possibly, I have a very special house design that should pretty much eliminate the threat of huricanes for me, but at the risk of starting a new argument, I WOULD NOT BE IMPERVIOUS!!!

All times are CT
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05