my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
»  The Holonet Boards   » Role Playing   » Complete Star Wars Universe   » Persistence of Memory (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Printable Version
Author Topic: Persistence of Memory
Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 06-14-2002 11:19 AM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The look I shot at Sorben was nothing if not flabbergasted. I'm certain my mouth was hanging foolishly open as I just sat there in the nearest seat he had flung me in, trying to think of something to say.

This just wasn't making any sense.

Finally I managed to gulp, "Err-- thank you, Sorben."

He turned his head slightly toward me. Although he had yet to remove that infernal helmet of his, I somehow had the distinct feeling that he was grinning at me. At least I hoped so. I gulped again, thinking of the last -- and most recent -- time we had been together. For a moment he remained frozen in this attitude; then he turned, gave the controls a final check, rose, and came over to me. Taking me by the hand, he hauled me to my feet, the T-shaped visor of his Mandalorian helmet aimed directly into my face.

I gulped a third time. He wasn't letting go of my hand. He remained obstinately silent.

A wave of heat washed over me.

Uh-ohhh....

[ 06-18-2002 06:44 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Galen ]

--------------------

"Sure as there is Treasure on Roon...."

Posts: 1456 | From: | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.197.177
Sorben Tarnus

Former Top-Dog Bounty Hunter, Now 3rd-In-Charge of the Galaxy

Member # 44

posted 06-14-2002 11:54 AM     Profile for Sorben Tarnus   Author's Homepage   Email Sorben Tarnus     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I stared down into Galen's wide eyes, frowning behind my visor for the complete inscrutability her look afforded me. A sad little feeling washed up inside me a bit, trying to take over, whispering into my ear, "You've got her now, buddy. Just take her to the Admiral, per contract, and not only will those blasted creeps from hell never be able to touch you, but you'll be rich beyond your wildest dreams at the Guild...."

I shook my head, throwing those thoughts to the vornskyrs. For all my manipulations, when it came down to gilded pushpins, I suddenly found I couldn't do that. I just couldn't.

I dunno-- call me a sentimentalist at heart. Baaaad trait for a bounty hunter. Throughout my life I've managed to keep it squelched deeply away, but it only took one look from this gamin to bring it bouncing to the fore. Fates knew it would certainly behoove me to adhere to Actar's plan; for a moment I wondered if I could talk that esteemed personage into turning her over into my more than capable -- not to mention eager -- hands, where we then could maybe kinda fade away into forgotten memories and have some kind of life of our own.

She tricked you, buddy, another wayward thought rose up from my subconscious. She snuck out on you like a Slythmonger creeps about Coruscant's underlevels. How do you think she's going to react to you now? Do you really think she's going to stick by your side just because you're too weak to turn her over to the one who contracted you to do it?

Demons raged within my soul.

Reeeeally baaad trait for a bounty hunter to be afflicted with.

I hesitated, caught between reality and wishful thinking. Stared deeply into her eyes. Realized I never was the sabaac player everyone thought I was.

One final hand, maybe....

Now I reached up and slowly removed my helmet. Let my eyes fall unimpeded into her big beautiful ones; the helmet now dropping from my suddenly nerveless fingers.

Another eternity passed. Then--

"I just... can't," I whispered, drawing her to me, crushing her small frame with a grip of steel. I knew better than to force a kiss upon her; I just settled for the wonderful feeling of her body being held closely against my own.

I had the temerity to rest my cheek upon the top of her head. Surprisingly, she didn't draw away, but stood there quietly.

Then I pulled back, my mind made up. Like there ever had truly been a debate on the subject. Giving her a sad sort of smile, I turned and returned to the helm, where a proximity sensor was beginning to blink. Flipping it off, my head awhirl with conflicting thoughts and hopes and desires -- and not more than a little fear -- I brought Ransacker out of hyperdrive and bore ahead to the new destination I had earlier programmed coordinates for.

The lush jungled world of Kashyyk swam enticingly before us. Though blockaded by Actar's troops, I knew my link with him would get us through if we were challenged; quickly I motioned toward a storage closet and told Galen to get inside.

"Trust me, babes," I said in a low voice, before turning back to the controls.

I -- we -- barrelled on.

--------------------

I am not a droid

Posts: 380 | From: | Registered: Aug 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.104.26
Sorben Tarnus

Member # 44

posted 06-14-2002 12:11 PM     Profile for Sorben Tarnus   Author's Homepage   Email Sorben Tarnus     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I sighed, and closed my eyes in disgust.

No wonder this guy was out here in the boonies, I thought as once more I leaned forward to speak with him. He's about as bright as a box of rocks....

"I told you who I am, and sent you my ident codes." For the third time I managed not to snarl, but it was getting harder and harder to remain calm. "I'm on official business for Admiral Actar; please send me clearance and landing coordinates; I've been scouring space for him too long now, and I reeeeally would like to come in and take a little R & R."

A pregnant pause followed. Clearly, this mindless idiot wasn't buying it, and in a way I couldn't say that I blamed him. Who in Hell's Seven Circles came to Kashyyk for vacation? Most sentients went into the deep Core worlds, or else out to the Corporate Sector. I realize that with the current unrest throughout the almost-but-not-quite Republic traffic had slowed somewhat, but peeps are hard to let go their comfort zones. If they still wanted to believe things were going on as normal, and their little lives could likewise continue in that manner, then so be it.

I sighed again, striving to mimic one of those peeps.

"Look, buddy," I began again, a touch of a growl coming into my voice. "I can send you Actar's private com-code if you need any more verification, but I really don't think--"

Now I was abruptly cut off as the speaker crackled into life.

"You may follow this descent route to these coordinates..." A string of characters followed, which I hastily tapped into the Ransacker's brains. "Make certain you make it all the way to Rwookrrorro, buddy."

The com clicked into silence, and I sat back with a sigh.

"Better stay put, sweetheart," I called over my shoulder, as I set to the task of landing my ship in the impenetrably tangled wroshyr forest below.

Sure looks how I had left it last time I was here....

[ 06-14-2002 12:26 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Sorben Tarnus ]

--------------------

I am not a droid

Posts: 380 | From: | Registered: Aug 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.104.52
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 06-14-2002 06:33 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The shadowy form of entaris comes forth from the depths of the forests. He then sends out his form once more, and finds where the ship of Sorben will/has landed, and waits in stealthy invisability for the right moment.

--------------------

"Insert Snappy quote here"

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.227.22.75
Rathal

Member # 220

posted 06-14-2002 11:22 PM     Profile for Rathal   Author's Homepage   Email Rathal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
From the worn down cockit of the Deliverance Kashyyk looked like a large furry watermellon, sorounded by a light blockade of imerial space crafts. Rathal squirmed irritably in his seet, squeezing out another little bit of the padding through one of the many tears in the plastic lining. Rathal was tired, hungry, and desperatly in need of a shower, these factors made him a very short tempered man and Officer "I have a room temprature IQ" wasnt making things any easier for him.

"I explained this to you, I was attacked by pirates but managed to escape to here. I wish to land in order to make a few repairs to my ship." He was telling the truth... mostly.

"And how did you escape?" asked officer dumb as bricks

"I out manuevered them," said Rathal

"Are you sure?"

Rathal was about to burst. He had come here immediatly after recieving Narcolm's transmition Regerding the whereabouts of Sorben, he had waited three hours to speak with a docking agent and as if this was not enough he had to talk to HIM!

"Well, you seem alright land at these co-ordinates and prepare to be searched."

The landing was smooth and uneventful, he steped out of the worn craft and was greated by a scanning crew flanked by two stormtroopers. Thier white skull like masks and heavy armor making them look more machine than human. A customs official walked up to Jonovar and gave him the usual interogation.

You know the sort of things, Whats your name, Occupation, Have you brought any commercial merchandise, how about weapons, are you sure?

As the scanning crew and stormtroopers departed Rathal asked the customs official a question,

"Do you happen to know if a ship called the Ransacker happend to land here today," he asked as casually as he could

"Why yes, the pilot was a bounty hunter named Sorben Tamrus right?"

"Tarnus," Corrected Rathal

"S'cuse me?"

"Yeah, thats the one. I dont suppose you could tell me where he landed?"

"Why yes I do, infact I'm headed over there right now, though Im afraid he is still making his final aproach. I could take you If you would like," responded the costoms agent in a most amicable manner.

Jonovar was stunned beyond belief, it was unusual for people to be this... well this... nice. But it was, nonetheless, a very welcome rarity.

"I would be most greatfull, sir."

"Call me Al" said the official as they jogged to the air speeder.

As they lifted off Al thrust a blaster into Rathal's hands.

"Incase you fall of and survive, there are a lot of animals you wouldn't want to meet without that."

"Ill return it to you when we land." responded Rathal, once again shocked by the man's generocity.

"Don't bother I confiscated it from a group of smugglers earlier today, you'll need one if you want to survive in the galaxy," he paused, "Its a good blaster, very good."

"I know, thank you very much." said a very bewildered Rathal, excessive kindness could have that effect on people.

By the time the exchange was over they where setting down at the other space port. It had been a short ride. Rathal hurridly washed his face and shaved at the bathroom in the imperial spaceport befor hurrying down in a speeder to the green field where Sorben was due to land.

[ 06-14-2002 11:28 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Rathal ]

--------------------

My Characters: Rathal, Narcolm, Freedon Naad

"You'll never see the end of the road while your traveling with me."

Posts: 127 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 152.163.204.178
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 06-14-2002 11:47 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The dark form of entaris hid silently withing the shadows as a new form apearred in the area he was waiting.

hmm...this complicates things now doesnt it? he thought to himself darkly... Perhaps i should illiminate him...hmm... Perhaps him being here could be used to my advantage? perhaps not... in the end entaris' evil concience took over and gave him the answer...He's to be toyed with...

Entaris called out into the shadow realm, and a shadowling silently came through the darkness to his call. Entaris joined with the creature telepathicly and gave it its orders. toy with this one my friend....do NOT kill him though...at all costs, he must not die...

The shadowling dissipated from the shadows, and reapered in a different area then ran forth from them, the speed at which he moved was mind boggling, dark claws came forth, being followed by black lightning.

Slashing the air with a claw, the black lightning shot forth and splite the earth at Rathal's feet, causing the broken earth to spring into the air with great force...

--------------------

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.227.22.200
Rathal

Member # 220

posted 06-15-2002 12:40 AM     Profile for Rathal   Author's Homepage   Email Rathal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Rathal lept sidways, barely avoiding imminent death by falling into the pit the monster had created.

What in the name of Creation was that thing

Yelled Rathal's mind as he pulled free his blaster and shot at it. The thing was quick, too quick to hit. The shadow monster lept nimbly out of the way of the blast, but the shots attracted the attention of a few stormtroopers conversing with the search crew. They spun around blaster rifles blazing.
Hot heads Thought Rathal as he scamperd away from the distracted beast, No wonder they are here instead of doing som real gaurd work

Rathal rolled behind a rock, looking up only to blast the com unit out of commision, he couldn't let anything interfere with the arival of Tarnus. Rathal was never a religious man, but now, with his back pressed up against a rock, he was praying like never before.

--------------------

Posts: 127 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 205.188.192.26
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 06-15-2002 12:48 AM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The black thing looked to the storm troopers, clearly agrevated by there interference, leaping out of the way from the blast continuasly being shot at him, he sent forth another wave of black energy, engulfing the stormtroopers in it, and hurling them backwards some distance. The destraction costed him though...

The continues blaster fire from rathal hit the shadowling in the sholder once or twice before the strange thing finaly located the man and lept tawords him once more, using his extrem speeds to avoide most, if not all of the blaster fire...

Watching the battle from afar entaris looked towards the sky It will not be long now, sorben...just continue on, as though you haddnt a care...hahaha!

Returning his gaze to the battle field entaris notted that his shadowling was sending forth a bolt of lightning to destroy the rock rathal sat behind...

--------------------

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.227.22.59
Rathal

Member # 220

posted 06-15-2002 12:58 AM     Profile for Rathal   Author's Homepage   Email Rathal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The rock infront of him exploded, sending sharpnel flying in all diretions, a badly cut and bleading Jonovar was sent rolling backwards. One of the stormtroopers had gotten up and fired a shot at the behemoth's back, it roared and turned to fire another blast at the soldier.
Hot headed, but bravethought Rathal as he lifted his blaster, aiming it at the monster's head and squeezed of two shots. The thing bellowed and crumpled to the earth.

"What the hell, it's still not... dead." Marveled Jonovar. Still the thing was on the floor writheing in pain, it wasnt going to do anything and Rathal wasnt in the habit of kickin a man while he was down.

--------------------

Posts: 127 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 205.188.192.26
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 06-15-2002 01:10 AM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Entaris watched as The battle waged between the shadowling and Rathal. he looked on in semi-amusment as his creature was blasted twice in the head and knocked the the ground.amazing, he is deffenetly worth keeping around... he thought to himself.

Entaris then willed his mind into the shadowlings greet punishment will befall you if you do not stand and continue entaris warned...

The creatures form shuddered, as if it were attempting to stand even though it should have been down for a month with the damage it had just recieved... the messages and tauntings of entaris continued to feed the beasts mind untill it stood shakily and began stalking towards rathel. But suddenly it remembered something, turned and blasted the foolish stormtrooper away one more, it then stalked forward slowly, its mind to scattered, its body to damaged, to call forth its great speed...

its form shuddered slightly, as though it still did not fully comprehend what was happening...Suddenly another stormtrooper stood and shot the beast, knocking him downward once more...

it shuddered a final time before dissapating into a swirl of black dust...

--------------------

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.227.22.59
Sorben Tarnus

Member # 44

posted 06-15-2002 01:22 AM     Profile for Sorben Tarnus   Author's Homepage   Email Sorben Tarnus     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
This is what they called the "green field?"

I frowned a bit as I peered out the forward viewscreen, bringing Ransacker down to a feather-light landing on a landing pad well-anchored in the wroshyr branches by heavy-duty kshyy vines. Ok, so it was green, true, but to call this thing a "field" was only done by the greatest stretch of imagination.

My frown deepened as I took note of the myriad white-armored troops standing about the platform, trying to look casual.

Dammit, I thought we had this all sorted out!

I got to my feet and went over to the closet where Galen was still secreted, gave the door a rap with my knuckles.

"Better stay in there a bit longer, babes. There's some unwanted company which I have to get rid of."

I didn't wait to hear her muffled reply, but turned back to the helm and powered the ship down. Then, putting my helmet back on and giving my personal armament a quick once-over, I popped the hatch and hit the street.

An armored individual somewhat taller than the rest hastened up to me, the pad in his hands making him look more official than he probably really was. "Stand aside to be boarded and searched," he said to me in an imperious tone of voice.

I frowned behind my visor. What in Hell's Seven Circles was this all about? But no way was I gonna let this guy into Ransacker; I merely crossed my arms and stood my ground at the bottom of the gangway.

The official waved his pad at me. "This is official business, sir," he tried again. "Stand down."

I just shifted my weight from one leg to the other, and let my helmet do the talking for me.

It was a contest of blackened visors, no doubt about it. Just as there really wasn't any doubt as to the outcome; Mandalorian armor comes with its own legend, and can be pretty intimidating. That's how I figured this kid to be a youngster, probably on his first assignment and trying to be the eager one. I shifted my weight again, cocking my head to the side a bit and letting my hand drop casually onto my blaster.

The kid stiffened, not knowing quite what to do. No doubt he had already cleared me through my connection with the esteemed Admiral, but he also had his own personal mandate to maintain. He remained there before me, stuck like a Gandy Rak in headlights, wishy-warbling between what he should do about that casual movement of mine...

...when I settled the matter for him. Off in the distance, I saw a black blur streak out from Fate's knew where, and in a lightning fast move reach out to attack a tired looking man who seemed to be just standing there minding his own business. I didn't know this guy from Adam, and for all I knew the black thing was a pet of his, but there was something about the way it moved that sent goose-chills up and down my spine.

Then the platform erupted at the man's feet as the black thing struck at him.

Buddy, I've been here and there in the galaxy... and I know sure as there's Treasure on Roon that there ain't no such animal on Kashyyk.

My blaster was out of it's quick release before you could say, "hey, that's a demon if ever I saw one!" I pride myself on my quick-draw capabilities, not to mention my accuracy level... but that thing was fast. I scored the ground at the guy's feet -- sheesh, the demon wasn't the only one who could move quick! -- sending the little monstrosity off and running into a shadow.

Then the man blasted into action himself, retaliating against the imp. The battle raged... and then the impys themselves stepped in and settled the matter altogether. The thing seemed to up and simply... disintegrate.

All this happened in but a second or two. The impy kid in front of me had barely time to whirl around to see what was happening when I holstered my blaster. I raised my face across the platform, directly into the wide eyes of the injured man, who was still bleeding from the altercation, and only now beginning to speak to the milling troopers. Nodding once in his direction, I turned back to the impy kid.

"Now, what was it you seem to be needing from me?" I asked, putting a growl in my voice that really wasn't too hard to dredge up. "I'm on business of Admiral Actar."

The impy kid was shaken, there wasn't a doubt about that. I'm certain his jaw was hanging behind his helmet; at least he managed to maintain that ramrod-straight posture impys were so wont to strut about with.

He looked at me, then back to the man. Ruffled the papers on his pad. Nodded his helmeted head.

"Everything appears to be in order, sir," he finally released me with. "Enjoy your stay on Kashyyk."

Then he hurried off to determine just what the hell had just happened behind his very back....

[ 06-15-2002 01:56 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Sorben Tarnus ]

--------------------

I am not a droid

Posts: 380 | From: | Registered: Aug 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.197.162
Rathal

Member # 220

posted 06-15-2002 04:13 PM     Profile for Rathal   Author's Homepage   Email Rathal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The stormtroopers were milling around, talking in hushed voices to each other, one of them was passing around medpacs, Rathal staggered over towards him and, unbeknownst to him, relieved him of one of the pacs.

"Do you know what that was." Demanded one of the gaurds in the traditional no-nonsense manner the impys were so wont to affect.

"No," Rahthal responded staring into the deep souless mask, matching his grave, inhuman stare with his own. He apeared to believe Rathal and stalked away to help his comrades. Turning he locked eyes with Sorben Tarnus, or atleast Rathal thought he did, and Sorben gave him a nod. As Al gave Tarnus some more of his official rigamarole Rathal sterilized my wounds and aplyed healing salves and bacta patches to the more severe ones. he fancied he looked somthing like someone who had taken a stroll on the planets surface. The mark had finished his conversation with Al and had paused or just a moment. Al was doing anything but pausing, he immediatly scurried towards one of his comrades and eagerly began to ask questions in a quick high pitched nea-squeal. Brushing past the other soldiers Rathal shambled towards Tarnus. The wonded bounty-hunter extended his hand and said,
"Hello, sorry to bother you but, we need to talk."

--------------------

Posts: 127 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 152.163.207.209
Sorben Tarnus

Member # 44

posted 06-16-2002 09:16 PM     Profile for Sorben Tarnus   Author's Homepage   Email Sorben Tarnus     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Whoa, jawa! Hold the rontos; something isn't smelling right in Tatooine....

Warning bells started to clamor loudly amidst the myriad red flags which had begun waving all over the place. This guy, who just happened to be standing on the very pad I had just come in on, was now informing me that he needed to talk to me. Something definitely was wrong with this picture.

I didn't let a smidge of my consternation show in my demeanor. I just took the guy's hand, solemnly shook it, let my hand drop back to join its fellow crossed over my chest.

Stood there waiting... keenly aware that my poor wife was probably suffocating in that miserable little storage locker. I didn't have the time -- or the inclination -- to mess about with this kind of unexpected interference.

Unfortunately, life had taught me that this kind of unexpected interference is precisely the kind of thing one had best pay strict attention to whenever it rears its ugly head... or one finds oneself at the very great risk of losing theirs.

Literally.

I cocked my head, trying to keep my voice neutral. This way the Mandalorian vocoder always made it sound that much more intimidating.

"And just what is it that we have to talk about so urgently?" I finally growled, once more letting my helmet fixate itself in the eyes of this stranger, who I hoped would just open his mouth and make this quick....

[ 06-16-2002 09:17 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Sorben Tarnus ]

--------------------

I am not a droid

Posts: 380 | From: | Registered: Aug 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.195.194
Rathal

Member # 220

posted 06-17-2002 01:34 PM     Profile for Rathal   Author's Homepage   Email Rathal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Rathal searched through the tatters of his coat for the silver... erm... whatever it was. On board the ship he had descovered that it preformed three functions, it played a message and also acted as a direct comunicator to Narcolm. Sadly, it had been set not to allow me to preform either of these functions. Rathal smiled sheepishly, finding his normally calm self squirming under the affrontive gaze of the renound bounty hunter. finally I produced the item, it was roughly the size of the lightsaber Narcolm wore. Though it was slightly thicker and had several buttons and nobs located at odd intervals throughout the object. At the butt end of it was a cilinder which opend, reliesing a slightly smaller cilinder. Rathal could not, for the life of him, figure out what it's purpose was but then again, everyone knew these jedi were strange people. He offered the gizmo to Sorben,
"I have been instructed by my employer to give you this and stand by while you watch the message he has recorded in it. He is a very generous man, and I am sure whatever the task may be he will pay you very very well." Said Rathal, glad that his part was nearly done.

--------------------

Posts: 127 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 152.163.204.182
Sorben Tarnus

Member # 44

posted 06-17-2002 02:28 PM     Profile for Sorben Tarnus   Author's Homepage   Email Sorben Tarnus     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I raised a brow behind my visor.

What the--??

For a moment I remained stone still, considering all possible consequences of accepting this rather strange object. I'll admit that although I've been all around the galaxy and have seen plenty, this thing was definitely not one of the things I'd ever seen before. And so I just stood there, letting time stretch, watching this stranger squirm, as I continued to think.

Sheesh, all I wanted to do was take Galen and find a hidey-hole somewhere for the two of us to disappear into. However, although I had managed to set further thoughts of this by-the-seat-of-my-pants strategy to the outskirts of my mind, the fact was that in order to do this I was going to have to get my hands on some kind of ready cash. It wasn't easy taking up housekeeping without some kind of financial foundation beneath one's feet, and thanks to Seus my bank account was pretty much wiped.

Of course there was what Actar had promised me on delivery of Galen, but that wasn't even to be considered....

My head cocked infinitesimally as my eyes narrowed. Then, the movement a blur, I reached out and snatched the stranger by the wrist. I held him in a grip of iron, checking my peripherals to see who might be standing about "nonchalantly" watching us.

No one. The Impys had all gone off, presumably to do the obligatory triplicated paperwork concerning the events that had occurred here. Giving another slight nod of satisfaction, I returned my full focus to the guy, who looked like he wanted to run.. or maybe cry... or possibly both.

"Play it," I growled, tightening my grip. If this thing was a bomb, we were going to go up together. And I'd be the only one coming down; my Mandalorian armor would see to that.

Now we'll see if there really was a mutual love affair between and whoever had given him this alleged recording device....

[ 06-17-2002 02:35 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Sorben Tarnus ]

--------------------

I am not a droid

Posts: 380 | From: | Registered: Aug 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.207.196
Rathal

Member # 220

posted 06-17-2002 02:47 PM     Profile for Rathal   Author's Homepage   Email Rathal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Damn, he thinks it's a trap, thought Rathal's panicking mind. To be quite frank this guy scared the bejesus outtta him, he didn't know why but somthing about the guy just made his blood run cold. Not many things made Rathal's blood run cold. The giant beast he had faced earlier didn't make his blood run cold, but this guy, this guy was scary. Rathal tried in vain to yank his wrist out of the mans iron grip. Then he stammered, "I can't play it. It requires print scan before the message will be played, I dunno how he got my prints but it won't play for me."
It didn't look like he was buying it. Chances were anyone other than me could make the thing play, there was no way the Jedi could have Sorben's finger prints, unless they kept a record at that guild... Rathal couldn't remember what it was called, he was never good with names, esspecially when he was shuddering with fear.
"Look," I tried to rationalise, "If its a bomb it doesnt matter who plays it if I am this close Im dead as well as you. And if it's some sort of poison, you could easily shoot me before you died... right? So please just take it. Nar- I mean my employer wants your help he doesnt wanna kill you he just wants-" Rathal cut himself off, realising he had said too much. He looked into the mans visor, hopefully... Please, please please, don't kill me.

--------------------

Posts: 127 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 152.163.204.182
Sorben Tarnus

Member # 44

posted 06-17-2002 07:00 PM     Profile for Sorben Tarnus   Author's Homepage   Email Sorben Tarnus     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
My frown deepened: this situation was beginning to smell like a rancor's leftover lunch. For someone who looked like he'd do about anything humanly possible and then some to elude my grasp, this guy was staying remarkably close-mouthed.

My mind buzzed as I searched it for every name known to me beginning with "Nar--," but no dice. I kept coming up blank, other than a certain highly sought after stone that I once had in my possession.

Now I turned my thoughts outward again, and merely tightened my grip on the guy's wrist.

"If you're lying, I'm going to make sure you know you're dying," I seethed at him, then silenced myself. Sticking my free hand under the opposing elbow, I pinned it against my body and pulled my hand free of its armored glove. The guy began trembling like a leaf, but managed to keep from dropping the instrument he still held out to me.

A button gleamed in the light dappling down through the dense canopy overhead.

I shot it a quick glance, instantly memorizing where its spatial position was in relationship to me. Then, turning my helmet back to my shaking captive, I leaned forward in a menacing manner, bringing my visor right up to his nose, letting the fierceness of my eyes match that of my grip.

Even though he couldn't see that look, I know sure as Roon's Treasure he could feel it.

Then, in a motion reminescent of a Vendaxan acklay, my finger stabbed out and hit the gleaming button... and in spite of myself I couldn't help but turn my head a bit to the side....

--------------------

I am not a droid

Posts: 380 | From: | Registered: Aug 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.206.196
Narcolm

Member # 222

posted 06-17-2002 10:14 PM     Profile for Narcolm   Author's Homepage   Email Narcolm     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Rathal heaved a sigh of relief dispite himself when a holographic image of Narcolm materialised next to them. Sorben, however didn't relax his grip on Rathal. Narcolm began,
"If you are recieving this transmission that means that my agent has succeded in part of his mission," Rathal's eyes widend parthe knew it was too good to be true. "I know that you have with me one Galen Tarnus, whom, if my sources are correct, is your wife. You were offered a hefty reward to bring her to one Admiral Actar. I am offering you twice whatever he will pay you to do the same, except you will take Rathal and this device with you. You will meet with Actar and when you do, you will activate this device's third function. allowing a chemical extract of the ysalamiri lizard insulated within the device to take its effect. The man will be robbed of his force abilities while near you allowing you capture him. Once captured you will bring the Admiral to a location I shall choose. True, this is far from a foolproof plan, but I would imagine a bounty hunter of your reputaition should be well acustomed to this sort of work. If you decline this most generous offer I must entreat you to please destroy this message." Narcolm smirked and signed off. What the hell just happend? Rathal asked himself, not sure of what to say or do or... The message flicked back on,
"should you have any questions this device acts as a comunicator, I am always available so dont hessitate to ask." Said Narcolm in a voice one might atribute to a tutor.

[ 06-17-2002 10:27 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Narcolm ]

--------------------

Rathal

(I AM turning to the Darkside)

"There's room at the top they're telling you still, but first you must learn how to smile as you kill."

Posts: 74 | From: See Rahthal | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 205.188.199.47
Sorben Tarnus

Member # 44

posted 06-17-2002 10:56 PM     Profile for Sorben Tarnus   Author's Homepage   Email Sorben Tarnus     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
A chill rippled up and down my spine as the holograph faded into obscurity. Though I made good and certain that none of my sudden trepidation showed, my head was spinning.

Who in Hell's Seven Circles was this guy? And why did he want me to hit probably the most difficult mark in the entire Galaxy?

I closed my eyes, thinking.

Dammit, but I absolutely hated when life up and handed me dilemmas like this one. Never failed but I'd be damned if I did, and damned if I didn't. I didn't know who this guy was; for all I knew it was another greeblie working for Lord Roan out to get me...

...or then again, maybe it was a way the esteemed Admiral made certain I delivered his prey to him... and then had an excuse to kill me in her delivery. He had offered me a quite considerable sum of money for my wife; I know that personally I'd hate to fork over that many credits, no matter how valuable the merchandise I was getting for it.

Then again, this might be a test of my loyalties... if one such as myself could be said to even have them. Like I said, damned if I do, and damned if I didn't if this scenario was correct.

And finally there was the sheer danger of taking my wife directly into the rancor's den to consider... the selfsame rancor I was trying so hard to avoid.

I raised my head, speaking toward the trembling man who's wrist I still held... yet somehow not speaking to him.

Not entirely.

"I've managed to stay alive this long by avoiding suicidal marks such as the one you're proposing I take." I growled in a low voice. "Do you have any idea, an inkling at all, of how utterly impossible this would be..."

...well, not really, I immediately answered myself as several ideas popped into my head. Wouldn't be any more difficult than the first time I killed Gravin, although I had K'kihl with me at the time....

"...as well as the fact that even if I did manage to capture Actar, or even kill him, there are others waiting in the wings to take his place."

I fell silent, chewing my lip beneath my visor as I continued to think, waiting to see if anything else was offerred that might possibly sweeten this deal enough where I might actually begin thinking of going for it... or if he would say anything else to give me a clue as to who he was, and toward whom his own loyalties lay.

[ 06-17-2002 11:25 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Sorben Tarnus ]

--------------------

I am not a droid

Posts: 380 | From: | Registered: Aug 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.197.204
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 06-17-2002 11:02 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Entaris sat in his hiding place, letting his mind wander to where the two other beings in the area watched a hologram. Listing in on the message a feeling that was as close to glee as entaris could get crossed his mind.

Hmm...interesting...

he then waited to see what would happen next

--------------------

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.219.51.181
Rathal

Member # 220

posted 06-17-2002 11:48 PM     Profile for Rathal   Author's Homepage   Email Rathal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Rathal didn't know what had gotten into him, but he felt compelled to speak in the favor of his employer. Well, actually he did know what had gotten into him, it was the money, or rather, the promis of money, Rathal was sick and tired of being poor. If this guy agreeing to the crazy Jedi's request was the only way for him to get paid, then the guy was going to be persuaded. No matter how terrifing he was. Then Rathal realised why it was the Jedi had told him so much about how he would ensure that he was never found by anyone, about how he could create for him a totally different Identity if he requested. Narcolm knew the money had been enough to persuade Rathal, but he also knew that perhaps it would not persuade Sorben. Narcolm thought that Sorben might want security after the fact, that Sorben would want to know about the employer. Of course Rathal only geussed that was the reason for Tarnus's reluctance, the threat of being caught, the threat of loosing his wife. Rathal began his speach, choosing his words wisely, or atleast trying to,
"My employer has assured me that he could, if it was important to either of us, engineer entirely new identies for us. Ones that could not be traced back to the person. The guy was at one point, a bigwig in the shipbuilding buisness. He has offered to use his money and contacts to allow either of us, should we so desire, to dissapear. He is dedicated to using his fortune to cripple Actar in anyway possible. Narcolm, my employer, was once a jedi trainee, but his master was killed by Actar. I don't know how these things work but aparently he was attached to the man, like a father," Rathal realised his speach had began to veer into convoluted territory so he tried to correct it, still, being held tightly by a man in armor was not an enviroment conducive to persuasive speach, "My employer wants revenge, and he will do anything to get it. Do this for him, and you have my word all your needs will be taken care of." Narcolm concluded with as much sincerity and authority as he could muster. He looked hopefully into the matte visor.

--------------------

Posts: 127 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 205.188.199.47
Sorben Tarnus

Member # 44

posted 06-18-2002 12:02 AM     Profile for Sorben Tarnus   Author's Homepage   Email Sorben Tarnus     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Curiouser and curiouser....

I didn't budge a millimeter as this guys next words came into my ears. Granted, it was hard keeping up this iron facade in the face of this unexpected promise...

if indeed it would hold water....

...but I managed to remain absolutely still. My teeth, however, were clenching so hard I thought I'd break one or two; swallowing, I tried to lessen the strain, and eased up a fraction on the guy's wrist.

I stared him straight in the eye.

"What assurances do I have that your employer will be as good as his word?" was the next question I shot at the device, then fell back into silence.

Galen, babes... forgive me, but.... One last time... one final run for the money, and maybe, just maybe, we could disappear and be husband and wife together for the rest of our lives.

I ignored the little inner imp which began raising it's slyly objective hand in this matter --you, the mighty Sorben Tarnus, retired and a husband for the rest of your days??? Oh, tell me another story-- and simply waited.

[ 06-18-2002 12:08 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Sorben Tarnus ]

--------------------

I am not a droid

Posts: 380 | From: | Registered: Aug 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.197.204
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 06-18-2002 12:11 AM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The hidden form of entaris now took it apone himself to act. letting his form ease into the shadows, and, within the time it would take to blink, he lay hidden within the shadow of Sorben Tarnus. the act doing more then just giving a hiding place for entaris, Sorben instantly felt the a strange chill run through him. and suddenly, all the anger he had ever felt came rushing through him for a brief moment, in the next instant it was gone.

now that he hid within sorbens shadows entaris sent out a message to the mans inner thoughts.

"yes, do this mission, such things would be very good for you... all your dreams would be granted, there is little risk, agree. you must.."

Entaris continued for some time the dark assurences, attempting to lead sorbens mind down the a path of Entaris' choosing.

((OOC: DUH DUH DUH....*creepy music*))

--------------------

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.219.72.117
Rathal

Member # 220

posted 06-18-2002 12:30 PM     Profile for Rathal   Author's Homepage   Email Rathal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
For a second Rathal thought he had seen somthing moving behind Sorben, he quickly shook the notion off, they were the only ones on the ship, well Galen was here too probably, thought he hadn't a clue where. Jonovar figured he would want some assurance that he would get what Narcolm promised, anyone could promise anything, it was a matter of wether or not they could deliver.
So he was stuck, there was nothing he could tell Sorben and obviously nothing he could give him... wait.
"If you need some cash up front or some kind of collateral, you could use that," he gestured to the device in Sorben's hand, "To talk to my employer, I'm sure he would be happy to give you something upfront if it would garuntee that you would help him."

--------------------

Posts: 127 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 205.188.199.152
Sorben Tarnus

Member # 44

posted 06-18-2002 03:38 PM     Profile for Sorben Tarnus   Author's Homepage   Email Sorben Tarnus     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I shook my head slightly, blinked. Tried to frown, but couldn't for the sly grin which was creeping up imperceptibly on my face.

Suddenly this deal was sounding like absolute manna sent from heaven. And if I played my cards right....

I straightened, looked at the device in my hand... and tucked it away in one of my many personal storage pouches. Looked the stranger right in the eye, and finally asked,

"So, what did you say your name was again?"

I nodded to his reply, turning back and striding up the gangway into the shadowy depths of the silent Ransacker. Went up to a certain storage closet, opened it and reached inside to drag out a highly irate Galen.

"Well, Mr. Tarnus! It's about--!" she began but got no further. I silenced her with a rough shake.

"Shut up," I growled.

She did, but whether from the command or the fact that I had actually spoken to her in that manner, I really didn't know. Her jaw dropped about six inches, and stayed there, hovering about her chest. I kept my own clamped tightly shut, turning now to drag her back down the gangway with me to meet my new -- albeit involuntary and highly nervous -- partner.

"Rathal, Galen." I muttered tersely, then fell silent once more.

They simply nodded and stared at each other while I stood silently by, trying to fight off a raging headache which had suddenly erupted out of nowhere. Dammit, but if I could just take off this blasted helmet. But nasty things had a tendency to creep up on a body in that event; I left it on, and tried to blink the pounding ache away. At length I broke the heavy silence.

"We'd better get off this platform before those Impys return to see why we're still hanging about here," I nodded toward a liftcar. Still dragging my somewhat stunned -- but not too stunned to keep her mouth shut -- wife by the upper arm, I led the way into the cool interior of the public transport vehicle. The hatchway closed behind us with a sound reminescent of leaves rustling in the wind, and soon we were on our way into the depths of Rwookrrorro, where I would be able to find us a place to take a little breather before we started planning our next move.

And oh... if things would proceed according to the wonderful ideas which were beginning to sprout in my head....

--------------------

I am not a droid

Posts: 380 | From: | Registered: Aug 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.199.47

All times are CT
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e