my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
»  The Holonet Boards   » Role Playing   » Complete Star Wars Universe   » Persistence of Memory (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Printable Version
Author Topic: Persistence of Memory
Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 06-18-2002 06:23 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"You want to do... what??!" I leaned forward upon the little table in the obscure and dark little pub Sorben had dragged us to; what was it called again?

Oh yeah, the Blue Asteroid.

Around us the discordant moans of this establishment's jizz-wailer band managed to prevent that little eruption of mine from reaching the ears of any of the other clientele. It wasn't blocked from Sorben's keen hearing; his T-visor glued itself to my face with an appropriately vague but menacing promise.

I just snorted, sitting back in my seat and taking a drink of the watered-down ale Sorben had ordered for us. That is, for all of us with the exception of himself; strangely enough, he wasn't drinking anything, not even his usual Walkn'Fall.

At the moment I didn't care if he came out of this strange behavior and poisoned himself. I slammed my ale down on the table.

"No way, sweetie!" I scowled into his visor. "What you're planning is just plain suicide; there's absolutely no reason to go for this. I mean, let's get logical."

Now I leaned forward, waving a hand to Rathal, who once again was beginning to squirm. I scowled -- sheesh, is this guy always this nervous? -- and continued.

"Look, up until mere moments ago, you didn't know this guy from the local deathstick dealer. Nevermind his mysterious bossman. But all of a sudden, he's your pal and this insane idea of his has merit!"

Sorben's head didn't move a millimeter, but I could feel the glare he was bestowing upon me. I shivered inside, battling down the rising unease I had been feeling ever since he took that device from Rathal, unease which was waving both its hands for attention and hollering at the top of its figurative lungs that something just wasnt' RIGHT with him. But I managed not to betray this brooding fear to him; Khaandon knows his attitude had turned 180 degrees concerning me, and I didn't want to add any more fuel to his fire.

But this... I just couldn't sit by like a docile little housemarm and let him kill us all.

"Listen, love..." I began again. Terrin, forgive me! "I don't know if you know exactly who you're up against in this, but this Admiral Actar has managed to get his paws on me not once, but three times. Maybe four; sheesh, I don't know what it is about me that he wants...."

Oh but you DO know, don't you?

"...but he wants it bad, and I know how strong this guy is. It was only because he manages to surround himself with idiots that I was able to get away at all... and you're saying now that you want to take me back to him and just give me to him? You think he's going to fall for this???"

I paused for breath, praying to all the gods and major dieties of all the major planets that he would climb down from his stubbornly high horse and listen to me.

"Sorben, he might surround himself with idiots, but he's no fool. You know what's going on right now; you think he managed to pull this off by being anything other than strong and cunning and very, very powerful?"

I stopped, running out of pleas and logic. I just shook my head again, then reached forward for my ale once again. Took a heavy swallow. Set the empty glass down and raised my finger for another.

I'd rather spend the rest of my days with Sorben than have him take me back to that shudderingly maleficent admiral. I just knew something beyond bad would happen to all of us if he did.

[ 06-18-2002 06:26 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Galen ]

--------------------

"Sure as there is Treasure on Roon...."

Posts: 1456 | From: | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.192.36
Rathal

Member # 220

posted 06-18-2002 07:26 PM     Profile for Rathal   Author's Homepage   Email Rathal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
This Rathal had not expected, though he probably should have. The woman wasn't agreeing, in fact she was rather vehemently against the whole thing. Rathal didn't know if it was the prospect of loosing his potential fortune, or if it was the cheap ale but he felt compelled to speak,
"Listen, the way I see it there are only two options, 1) We can pull this off and Narcolm can ensure that you are never again found unless you will it. Not only that but he is willing to pay a huge fee, and I don't know how much money you have at the moment but, judgeing from the quality of this ale," he lifted his near-empty glass, "you really need the money. OR you could continue to run for the rest of your lives until someone finds you. You don't seem to understand that this guy runs most of the habitable planets in the galaxy. You can only run for so long, this is your way out. Sure it's not easy, but nothing worth doing ever is." Rathal felt that perhaps this was a good stoping point, so he relaxed his posture and downed the remaining ale.

--------------------

My Characters: Rathal, Narcolm, Freedon Naad

"You'll never see the end of the road while your traveling with me."

Posts: 127 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 205.188.198.151
Sorben Tarnus

Former Top-Dog Bounty Hunter, Now 3rd-In-Charge of the Galaxy

Member # 44

posted 06-18-2002 07:59 PM     Profile for Sorben Tarnus   Author's Homepage   Email Sorben Tarnus     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I closed my eyes again behind my helmet. My head was beginning to pound again, and this kind of ridiculous bickering didn't do anything to alleviate the insistent ache. In fact, it not only exacerbated it, it likewise flamed an anger that was hovering somewhere just beyond the limits of control, just begging to erupt.

Strange... but somehow I knew that if I let that anger go, the headache would disappear.

I stiffened against that thought, turned to Rathal, waggled a gloved finger at him.

"You don't need to convince me," I grated at him. Then I whirled upon my wife, who was scowling blackly at me over the rim of her glass. I pointed a finger at her. "And you--" I swallowed, lowering my brows.

"You have no say in the matter."

With that I turned from her, completely ignoring the astonished look blasting forth from those beautiful brown eyes of hers. For a moment I frowned.

What in the name of all the Fates was I doing treating her that way?

Inexplicably, the headache took a bite out of my cerebrum, gnawed upon it like a beast seeking marrow within a bone. I winced, then managed to speak.

"We're going to do this... and we're not going to run into a speck of difficulty. I already have a--" Now I turned to shoot Galen a meaningful glance. Helmet or no, I could tell by the way she squirmed in her seat that it hit her right between the eyes.

"I have certain assurances that we'll be able to get close to Actar. But...!"

Now I whirled back to Rathal.

"Your boss, this 'Narcolm,' had better let me know ahead of time where he wants us to meet him with the admiral. I don't believe we're going to have the time to plan out this party once it actually begins to get underway."

With that I rose to my feet, reaching out now to take Galen-- my wife --by the arm. Tossing some credits on the table, I led her from the pub, directing her footsteps out onto the elevated and branch-shadowed walkways that mazed their way about this city in the trees. At the end of my current line of travel was a cozy little hotel I remembered from my last visit to Rwookrrorro; it had suddenly struck me quite out of the blue that we really hadn't had much of an opportunity to celebrate our nuptuals before she had slipped out from me....

My smile darkened beneath my helmet and I pressed on, Galen half-skipping along to keep up with me. From behind came the steady tapping of Rathal's booted footsteps as he hurried along to maintain the mad pace I had set.

Strange but that hideous headache was beginning to abate as quickly as it had come....

[ 06-18-2002 08:30 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Sorben Tarnus ]

--------------------

I am not a droid

Posts: 380 | From: | Registered: Aug 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.197.73
Sorben Tarnus

Member # 44

posted 06-18-2002 09:24 PM     Profile for Sorben Tarnus   Author's Homepage   Email Sorben Tarnus     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I lay in a tangle of cool sheets and even cooler night, staring blackly up to the ceiling where the play of light coming in through the leafy canopy outside the window mottled it with an ever-changing shadow-dance.

Beside me, Galen hunkered in a silence that rivaled that of the Void. I'll give her credit for not letting one sound escape her lips; even without touching her I could clearly feel the aching pain which now lived in her where once there was love.

I grimaced; placed my fisted hands against my temples.

What the HELL is the matter with you, Tarnus? I berated myself, then gritted my teeth further as the by now familiar wash of pain blasted into my head. This isn't like you; you love Galen, you had no right to do to her....

I grunted, my abdominals tightening as I sat up and in one smooth motion swung my feet over the edge of the bed. Now behind me, Galen didn't so much as peep or rustle the corner of a sheet. But as for me... I couldn't help but let loose a little groan as I leaned forward, squinching my eyes tightly shut against the wave upon wave of pure agony which suddenly ripped through my skull. An all-over body sweat burst from every pore, and I tightened every muscle I owned, fighting this.

What was wrong with me--?

At length the pain subsided from brilliant incandescence to mere fiery eruption; I reached a shaky hand out behind me, groping, seeking the one form in all the Universe I still loved... Khaandon help me....

"G-Galen," I croaked through my clenched teeth.

She merely flinched, then went back to pretending she was asleep.

Now anger began to flare within, pure, cleansing anger.

She had no right... how dared she just pretend to sleep when I was hurting so bad? Some kind of wife she's turning out to be; well, maybe it's time for another little attitude adjustment....

Sudden strength oiled through me now as, amazingly enough, the pain left me like mist before rain. I reached for my wife--

Later

I awoke, stared at the ceiling through my closed lids.

Knew something was wrong.

Drew in a deep breath, reached carefully out, patted the sheets beside me.

The cold, and quite empty sheets.

My jaw worked as my eyes flew open. Rage began to build within.

Again. The wench had done it to me again. Well, there weren't too many places on Rwookrrorro she could possibly hide; I had too many "friends" here.

I'd find her. And take her straight to Actar.

Whether or not I went ahead with this Narcolm business, yet remained to be seen.

No sense running off half asleep and without plan. I lay back against the pillow, stared up at the dappled shadows which yet played upon the ceiling.

Felt my scar tighten as a menacing smile creased my features.

But yet-- felt a niggle of that damnable pain skirting around the periphery of my consciousness, as somewhere deep within me, I found to my surprise that I was smiling, sending a thought arrowing out despite the manner in which the pain was beginning to cascade upon itself:

Run fast, babes. Run as fast and as far as you can....

[ 06-18-2002 09:30 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Sorben Tarnus ]

--------------------

I am not a droid

Posts: 380 | From: | Registered: Aug 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.197.63
Rathal

Member # 220

posted 06-18-2002 10:26 PM     Profile for Rathal   Author's Homepage   Email Rathal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Rathal sat at a table in the hotel's restaurant gorging himself ravenously. It was the first real meal he had had since he left Narcolm's ship. Up until now he had been a bit to ancy to eat, not to mention his lack of time. After taking a long needed shower in his room he had come down here, feeling relaxed and chipper, despite his wounds. It was the first time in ages stragly it did not last. He almost choked on his food when he saw Sorben's wife striding out the door with a grim, yet sorrowful look on her face that told him she wasn't coming back real soon.
Why the hell couldn't anything continue to go my way for longer than a few hours

Rathal thought as he shoved away his plate and ajusted the heavy blaster in his holster which was entirely too small for the weapon. After dropping a few of his dwindling supply of credits on the table he followed the woman out the door and into the cool Kashyyk night.
And I thought this was going to be easy money, he should have known that there was no such thing.

--------------------

Posts: 127 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 205.188.192.42
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 06-18-2002 11:04 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Entaris sat hidden within sorbens Shadow, enjoying the torment that the man was going into, feeding apone the anger that now came forth... Suddenly remembered Roan and realized that some cation was needed in these matters, no matter how enjoyable the chaos was...

once again sending thoughts to the mans inner mind entaris spoke.

"Caution, nothing must happen to Galen...go through with your plans, but no harm must come to her...or at least, not much harm..."

he then sent a burst of pain shooting through Sorbens head, and then relinqiushed all evedince that he even existed, stoping all effects he now had on the man...

he "smiled" darkly and thought to himself...

Be careful sorben, your anger will take hold again should you not keep it in check...

A dark laugh escaped from his thoughts, sending a chill through sorbens body. once again confusing the man about what was happening with him...

--------------------

"Insert Snappy quote here"

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.219.72.2
Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 06-19-2002 12:55 AM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I stalked swiftly and silently though the vine-suspended walkways, the trees around me rustling their own brand of soft and gentle secrets. Strange thing to be thinking about, trees, and in such a manner, but this place inspired it even in my currently beleaguered frame of mind.

Now my vision wavered as tears welled up in my eyes. I blinked, sniffling angrily. I was angry at the way Fate was continuing to have its whimsical way at my expense, angry at the way I was yet again separated from my love, angry at the way Sorben had treated me...

...angry at myself, for still feeling like I did toward Sorben. I had no right...!

Well! I viciously interrupted that train of thought. No more. It stops here, right now!

Indeed, I now found myself slowing my pell-mell race through he wroshyr branches, pausing at length to take a breath and think.

Ok, face it. You loved him once... you love him still. Ok, that's said.

But-- you two... it wouldn't work. Gakk; what am I saying? I'm his mark-- so why am I still thinking of him like I am?

And Terrin? What about him; he's your husband now, Galen ol' girl. You know Sorben would never treat you like Terrin will; what in Hell's Seven Circles are you thinking about all this for now, anyway?

Terrin....

I sighed now, grasping onto the vine which made a kind of railing, and leaning out now into the cool breeze which wafted gently from the shadows about me. For just one moment more I allowed myself the luxury of just thinking about me and what I wanted for myself...

I wanted Terrin... but Terrin knowing how I still felt about Sorben; oh brother, I wasn't asking for much now, was I?

...then put it away as I began to formulate a plan of escaping from Rwookrrorro.

Lessee... I could try to snag his ship, but I have a feeling it's coded only to him. Scratch that. Hmmm... I know he was coming here with me to escape from Actar; now, wouldn't one suppose that a ship given to him by that same man would have a few... erm, tracking devices on it? Sorben did mention he had been here before; maybe he has a ship tucked away somewhere. Maybe a few questions...

I started walking again, nodding to myself as I moved along, now turning my focus outward to see if there was any special little place I could find to curl up for the remainder of the night in...

...when a soft footfall sounded behind me.

I froze in mid-step, whirled about.

Came eye-to-eye with that other guy who Sorben had crossed paths with here-- what was his name again? Rathal? --not to mention the bore of the biggest and nastiest blaster I had ever seen in my life.

The bounty hunter gave me a grim sort of look. The tip of that monstrous blaster wavered a fraction, as though he was trying to motion me back the way we had come.

It is often said that desperation is the mother of invention... and the sire of accuity. My eyes narrowed as I stared into his; then I drew in a breath.

I knew that look....

I cleared my throat, held out a hesitant -- and markedly weaponless -- hand toward the silent bounty hunter.

"Look, Rathal," I began in a creaky voice. I paused, swallowed. Tried again. "Look, what you guys are trying to do is absolute suicide. You've just GOT to see that."

I paused, arrowing my gaze into his, assessing his body language, reading the story in his eyes. Strengthened by something I thought I saw there, I went on.

"I- I don't know how much you are supposed to be getting paid, but look at it this way. One, you're not even gonna see any of that money, because Actar's going to kill you. Two, if by a miracle you do get paid, you're going to have to split it."

I paused again, silently continuing my assessment. He seemed to be listening, so I finished in a burst of bravado... not to mention the utmost sincerity.

"My husband is a very wealthy man," I went on. Sheesh, that's true! I marveled to myself, shaking my head for the fact that I had never realized it until just this moment. "How about this: you just put away your blaster, and take me as your passenger back to my husband, and I promise he'll pay you whatever this other guy is supposed to pay you... and this way you won't have to share it with anyone."

I stopped with that, realizing there just wasn't anything else left to say. Prayed to Khaandon that he'd believe me, and would take me then and there, anywhere that didn't involve going back to Sorben Tarnus.

[ 06-19-2002 12:58 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Galen ]

--------------------

Posts: 1456 | From: | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.197.52
Rathal

Member # 220

posted 06-19-2002 01:18 AM     Profile for Rathal   Author's Homepage   Email Rathal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
There was a war rageing in Rathal's head, one side said, "Sorben is one of the most famous bounty hunters there is, how far do you think you will get. Your ship is a delapidated old, defencless wreck, you'll never get out of the star system." and the other side said, "Sorben is a real ass, he had a sweat thing going and he blew it, I don't know how but he did. You didn't mess up, he did, why should you have to pay. There is more money in this new deal, and I don't owe Sorben or Narcolm anything."

"I go where the money is," said Rathal shoving his baster, with great effort, into his undersized holster.
"C'mon, we gotta get to my ship quick or your iron clad husband is going to be after us." then he paused, how many husbands does she have? thought Rathal, but that was a question for a later date, right now, they needed to get to his ship and blast off to see husband B.

--------------------

Posts: 127 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 205.188.192.42
Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 06-19-2002 11:49 AM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I couldn't help but pause, hands on my hips and mouth open in flat-out disbelief, as I took in the faded and battered Deliverance. She hunkered tiredly on her landing pad, looking for all the world as though she'd like nothing better than curl up for the duration and never leave again.

I swallowed, blinking. "Hey, are you certain--" was as far as I got when my new benefactor triggered the hatch release and raced aboard her. His gloved hand waved for me to follow, and he soon disappeared inside the worn little craft.

I proceeded to enter, shaking my head to myself with every step. Buddy, you get me back to Terrin -- sheesh, what possessed me to leave him? -- and you're not just getting cold hard cash; you're getting a new ship!

That is, if you CAN get me safely back to him....

I blinked at that thought, refusing to allow it to take root, and hurried into the cockpit where Rathal was beginning to power up the systems. One was a touch wee on the recalcitrant side; a deliberated and well-aimed slap of his open palm upon the console soon put things aright.

I couldn't help wincing at that, then moved up behind him.

"As soon as you get into free space, put her in hyperdrive. We're going here."

Without so much as a "by-your-leave" I reached over his shoulder and tapped the coordinates to Khar Delba into the navigational computer. Rathal's brows arched when he saw them; he turned in his seat and gave me a Look.

I grinned wanly. "Trust me," was all I could say. Just as I'm trusting that Terrin went through with what I asked and that's where we'll find "ZZ'Shzq." Khaandon help us all if... if SHE has gotten to him first....

I grunted that nasty thought away, and strapped myself into the seat next to Rathal. In but moments more we had received emergency clearance, and soon found ourselves with Kashyyk nothing more than a memory behind us.

((OOC: Follow Galen and Rathal to Return To Khar Delba in the Jedi Praxeum and Sith Temple forums, thank you.))

--------------------

Posts: 1456 | From: | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.207.207
Sorben Tarnus

Member # 44

posted 06-19-2002 12:33 PM     Profile for Sorben Tarnus   Author's Homepage   Email Sorben Tarnus     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Once again I found myself standing on the landing platform in front of Ransacker, trying to have something which at least resembled an intelligent conversation with that intrepid entity, Officer "Call Me" Al. It was all I could do to keep from reaching out and strangling him right then and there; no matter how officially he tried to wave his data pad about, he was still quite the dim bulb.

I scowled beneath my visor, gritting my teeth. Drew in a deep breath and tried again.

"Look pal," I started for about the fifth time. "I know there's no way you can tell me the destinations of ships which depart from here. But you can tell me their departure vectors. I'm reeeeally interested in finding my friend, ahh--"

I scrambled through my short-term memory, bringing up his name at last.

"--Jonovar Rathal," I finished with a slight nod. "I have to find where he went; it's very important."

Officer Two Bubbles Off Plumb only ruffled his papers. He lifted his helmeted face to me, behind which I'm just certain entirely too-young eyes were forcing themselves to stare directly into my own threatening visor.

"As I said," he finally deigned to answer me with a imperious cough, one designed to mask his own flaming discomfiture. "I haven't the slightest idea."

Now he skimmed the data in his hand.

"Here is all I have: Z-95 Headhunter, vintage, serial number ZQY6-KHG8-33527Q, going under the identity code of one Deliverance, at approximately 0354 hours Zulu requested and received emergency departure clearance from Kashyyk."

He stared me right in the eye, ruffling his damnable papers once again.

I closed my eyes painfully, struggling to not just reach out and in one lightning fast move end this misery altogether. At length I got my rising anger under control; opening my eyes with yet another sigh, I nodded toward this posturing buffoon.

"Thank you for your assistance," I finally growled tersely. Such as it was. At least I did get a little information out of it. "And now, if you'll just clear me for as... expeditious a departure...?"

Once again I let my helmet do the rest of my speaking. Officer I Love Worrts shuddered visibly, turned, and fled to his control center. I grinned at the vision I had of him there, frantically calling up clearance codes and blocking incoming and outgoing traffic for the moment.

Then I strode aboard my sleek little craft, powered her up, made certain all was smooth and operational. Waited until the clearance came in... and blasted off from this entirely too rustic world.

Once again, the Hunt was afoot. Only I needed to speak with my employer first.

Tapping in a set of coordinates the moment I cleared Kashyyk's gravity well, I freed Ransacker into the improbable realm of hyperspace... and set off to find Admiral Actar on Coruscant.

I'm sure he'd want to be brought up to date before I turned back to where I'm pretty sure my wife had probably been taken....

((OOC: Follow Sorben Tarnus to Back on Coruscant thread in the "Empire and New Republic" forums, thank you.))

[ 06-19-2002 12:42 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Sorben Tarnus ]

--------------------

I am not a droid

Posts: 380 | From: | Registered: Aug 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.207.207

All times are CT
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e