my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
»  The Holonet Boards   » Role Playing   » Complete Star Wars Universe   » Through A Glass, Darkly (Page 4)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 

Printable Version
Author Topic: Through A Glass, Darkly
Leev

Broken Back Button

Member # 140

posted 02-15-2002 07:44 PM     Profile for Leev   Author's Homepage   Email Leev     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
In the shadows, a pair of catlike eyes watched events progress, keenly aware of everything that was happening, if not by what they saw then through the link their owner maintained with her.

His Mistress was in trouble, and he could not stand in the way. But he knew her plan, and he knew that he could at least complete one task for her, acting only if and when the circumstances required.

Her mission would not be in vain...

Posts: 6 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Dec 2001  |  Logged: 146.201.36.64
Cella Poliani

Member # 115

posted 02-15-2002 10:19 PM     Profile for Cella Poliani   Author's Homepage   Email Cella Poliani     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Cella's Force sense signalled her that someone was approaching, and she came out of the hibernation trance she'd assumed to conserve her body's resources. In an attempt to take refuge from the harsh environment of Kessel, she had taken shelter in this abandoned mine tunnel, relying on her Force senses to alert her of her rescuers.

The tunnel wasn't so bad. Dark, but dry and cool. Although there was an odd cinnamonlike smell about them that she couldn't quite place...

Cella inhaled deeply, and the world seemed to explode around her. She could feel every thread in her clothing, almost every wrinkle on her skin. She saw in a thousand spectra, heard the sounds of the birthing of the galaxy.

At least that's what the glitterstim filaments she'd inhaled made her think.

Confused, she called out in terror. "Who goes there? Who are you? Where am I?" The sensory disorientation set in even deeper, and she could speak no more. Her own voice in her ears seemed to be deafeningly loud. She was aware of a confused hope that the people approaching were friends and not foes...because she was as helpless as a newborn infant.

Posts: 76 | From: see Rogue Angel | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 172.140.137.29
Master Rean

Member # 151

posted 02-16-2002 11:34 AM     Profile for Master Rean   Author's Homepage   Email Master Rean     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The Jedi Master sat frozen as events unfolded before him. Shayla had been questioning and revealing what seemed to be more than her masters were prepared for her to reveal. He watched in shock as a burst of flame appeared between them, presenting a clawed demons hand which wrapped around the womans neck pulling her back through the flames before they were extinguished. He stayed there only momentarily before making his way out of the hatch and quickly back to where Galen and Terrin awaited.

As Rean exited the ship he realized that the ship itself while virtually undetectable before was now filling his senses. The Sith had dropped their protection from one of their own. Something was terribly wrong.

Rean entered the house making quick work of his search for Galen and Terrin "As you may already know, Shayla has been taken," he announced. "I am not sure who took her but I have a pretty good idea it was the Sith. She had begun to question and to reveal more than they had wanted. I had hoped to save her but I am not sure if there is anything we can do for her now. I have been attempting to track her signature but I can not at this time. One thing is for certain, we are in danger. I suggest we use her ship to take us to the Bounty Hunters world as the link between us has told me. I would also suggest Galen that you stay by my side from this point on."

With that Rean took his lightsaber returning it to his weapons belt, awaiting their reply.

[ 02-16-2002 11:43 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Master Rean ]

--------------------

Through the force all become one.

Posts: 28 | From: | Registered: Jan 2002  |  Logged: 152.163.206.178
Maladius

Evil

Member # 138

posted 02-16-2002 11:38 AM     Profile for Maladius   Author's Homepage   Email Maladius     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
From the shadows made as sunlight crept into the Lioness a darker shadow unfurled itself. It giggled and drooled insanely as it dropped to the deck of the ship where it had been hiding after sneaking aboard through the flaming door opened by its Master. Maladius stretched out his pointed tail and poked a certain control, the hatch of the ship slammed shut with a bang.

Now he had the ship to himself. He prowled it like a predator laughing all the time as his clawed hands reached out and began rending and tearing whatever they could touch. His sharp tail lashed and stabbed and soon the navigation board lay in utter destruction. The sounds of ripping and laughter filled the air as the demon played his newest little game, they had not let him push the woman into the lava but they allowed him this one small pleasure. He turned every dark ounce of himself to the joy of demolishing the Lioness and soon the ship lay in absolute ruin, all operating parts broken beyond repair.

Slimy drool dripping from his lips, he called out to Leev. "Go home," he said. "They want you."

He gibbered a final taunting laugh before bursting out through the side of the ship making a great gaping hole that showed anyone around the destruction inside. He spit some acid drool on the ship watching as yet another hole began to appear on its side. It was still growing as sith flames flared up before him and he left to go home to his Master and Mistress. He did not bother to see if the Noghri followed behind him or not.

Posts: 47 | From: | Registered: Nov 2001  |  Logged: 152.163.206.178
Terrin Danner

Exceptional Salesman turned Really Nice Guy

Member # 110

posted 02-16-2002 11:48 AM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Terrin arched an eyebrow at Rean for just a moment, surprised again by the man's suddeness, as well as by the fact that he seemed to know everything that transpired even while he was away. This, to Terrin, was rather creepy.

Even so, leaving right away might be a good idea. But they still had to consider the fact that they would have a very pregnant woman on ship. They might need just a little bit more than the smaller freighters Shayla used to pilot around.

Time to call on some favors of your own, buddy.

"Allright, we'll go. But I'm not too thrilled about using Shayla's ship, and I can get my hands on something in moments that is quite a bit more sufficient than the smaller ships she frequently uses; you don't sell ships for a living without earning a few favors. Besides, using a Shayla's ship doesn't exactly thrill me since I don't know what surprises might be on board. I have at my disposal a nice enough yacht that the company just bought in hopes of selling it. Since I made the contact, the ship is still here, waiting for someone to retreive her. I say we take advantage, retreive the ship, and get the Hell off this rock. To the Bounty Hunter's world we go..."

[ 02-16-2002 11:52 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Terrin Danner ]

--------------------

"Where's the horns, flyboy?"
~~Galen
It is a far greater thing to live a life with purpose and risk death than to simply live.~~CMH

Posts: 1188 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 146.201.34.24
Yaoksi Joao

Smuggler Extraordinaire and All-Around Good Guy

Member # 126

posted 02-16-2002 12:27 PM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
OK, someone please come and tell me when all this starts to become fun, please.

I reached down to my belt where a luminary hung, and flipped the little light on. It wasn't a big one, as these things go, since in the course of my career I really had never planned on going spelunking or as a matter of fact anywhere that a larger one would ever be needed. I did realize however that such devices were often useful should some emergency situation arise; while I didn't quite categorize our current one as that, it did come close. I lifted the little light from my belt, and peered nervously into the dimness ahead of us.

The tunnel loomed like the mouth of some great beast waiting to devour us. That thought sent a shiver down my spine, and my grip on my blaster tightened. I cut a sideways glance to Matt who, if as nervous as I was, was doing a great job of not showing it. My estimation of him rose by another power of ten; sheesh, did anything ever rattle this guy?

"You positive she's down there somewhere?" I asked yet again. He didn't even bother to reply; the sigh that came wafting into my ears was more than eloquent enough. I sighed back. "OK, let's go then."

Taking care to remain as silent as we could, we tiptoed stealthily yet steadily into the maw of dark. Bit by bit the tunnel entrance waned behind us, and bit by bit the encroaching sunlight fell further and further behind. Soon we were only illuminated by the dim blue glows of our carrylights, which managed to be enough to reveal broken wiring and light fixtures hanging from overhead. I sniffed a touch ruefully; sure would have been nice it they were operable....

That thought was abruptly truncated as a darker shadow dropped suddenly down in front of us, crouching in a threatening manner. I couldn't help but take a step back, brushing against Matt as I did so and nearly dropping my light in the process. Before my startled wits could ascertain the thing for what it was, a ray of ruby flared out from my partner. The looming shadow emitted a grating screech, and collapsed to the tunnel floor.

Now Matt stomped ahead, stopping at the black mound to look down upon it. He aimed his light; the outlines of a rather nasty looking multi-legged creature shown a dim blue. "Energy spider," he snorted disdainfully. "They're pretty dangerous, but stupid. Don't know what this one is doing here; I don't see any webbing anywhere nearby...."

His words trailed off and he raised his light and shown it around him. I came up beside him, my lips curling in distaste at the sight of the nasty creature who thank the Fates lay dead before us, and added my light to his. Their joined glow revealed nothing other than rock, rock and more rock, yet more defunct lighting wires and fixtures...

...and a barred cage waiting silently for us some ten meters ahead.

I cut my eyes to Matt again, raising my brows. "Miner's cage?" I offered with a sarcastic grin. He merely nodded.

"Well," I continued as we stepped past the dead energy spider and headed for the cage. "I sure hope you know where we're going. I'm beginning to get a baaaad feeling about all this."

--------------------

"Hey! It's not my fault!"

Posts: 607 | From: Midwest | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 152.163.206.178
Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 02-16-2002 01:57 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Give me a platoon... Hell's Seven Circles NO, an entire BATTALION!!... of Impys, and I'll take 'em on any day and gladly. Anything other than all this Force wierdness we suddenly found ourselves becoming more and more enmeshed within.

My grip on Terrin's hand tightened as I sensed the concern that flooded him. He was doing the best job he could, fighting against the waffling "trust/don't-you-DARE-trust" emotions which tore at him regarding this Master Jedi, and I can't say that I could blame him. Khaandon knows I'd be smack dab back into the Distrust Department myself, if the conjoining link the man had opened between himself, me, and the Sith Adept hadn't told me otherwise. I had known before he returned to us that the Sith had turned with unwarranted viciousness on their own. I was also aware that Master Rean was likewise informed of our conversation regarding travelling to Seus's world of the Bounty Hunter's Guild.

I had just been so enthralled by the events which had unfolded so rapidly that all I did was sit there, my eyes seeing an image elsewhere than the kitchen in which I sat, feeling the almost palpable confines of the Lioness' bulkheads about me as Master Rean had entered within, sensing curiosity combined with a, quite frankly, refreshing naivety which emanated from the young woman who so boldly, and as it turned out disastrously, confronted the easy power of the All-User who had come from the Council to aid us.

Or perhaps not. Maybe he hadn't been sent from the newly developing Jedi Council which rumor had spread was trying to put itself back together on Coruscant. Maybe it would be wise to check that out as well.

Now I turned a somewhat rueful look into the eyes of my love. "I- I'm sorry, Terrin," I stammered a bit. "It's ok. I've been aware of what's been going on; it's just that I... well, I guess I kind of got wrapped up in things."

Now I got awkwardly to my feet. Placing my hands on the table, I leaned over it a bit and addressed both Rean and Terrin together. "Ok then, it's settled. We'll go to Terrin's ship and head off to Seus. Khaandon be with us that he has my Jester II, but if he doesn't, that's ok too." I gave them a mysterious little grin, and refrained from elucidating. I'd tell Terrin later.

Master Rean nodded, apparently relieved. He was about to say something but was paused by my pointing finger before the words were able to leave his mouth.

"You had to get here somehow," I announced suddenly, trying to keep my tone from wafting back into one sounding accusatory. "I think our strength may be in numbers. Why don't Terrin and Jasyn and I go in Terrin's yacht, and you shadow us in yours. And as for this-"

I held up the Claw, then turned my eyes into Terrin's blue ones. "Who's going to be responsible for this?"

I stood there in silence then, ready then and there to go out the door and get the hell off this ball of volcanism that called itself a planet, and waited to see what anyone else had to say about it.

Khaandon be with us, me being so very pregnant or no, we'd be off-Sullust and on our way to Seus within the hour.

[ 04-26-2002 06:58 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

"Sure as there is Treasure on Roon...."

Posts: 1457 | From: | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.207.202
Terrin Danner

Exceptional Salesman turned Really Nice Guy

Member # 110

posted 02-16-2002 02:39 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Terrin swallowed, hard.

Who was going to keep a watch on that thing? Did he dare give it to this Master Jedi who he still didn't have complete trust in, or keep it on the ship that he and the others would travel on?

As he thought this through, his blue eyes shifted to another time and place, and he knew he was no longer really seeing what was in front of him but instead what happened in the past...

Khar Delba. His removing that THING from HER finger. Then a shift to the trip to Sullust, when that Demon from Hell had taken his arm...

...then to that horrible day on Sullust. A time that was supposed to be joyous, ripped from the very pages of time by the cruelty of one very demonic Sith...

Sucking in a breath, Terrin knew that neither option he had presented the safety he'd desired for them.

But they just had to, absolutely HAD TO, get off this damn rock. And they had to make a decision concerning who should take care of the weapon.

While they could just simply give the weapon to Rean, the distrust Terrin still had for the guy, regardless of how he might WANT to trust him, put a stop to that idea. By the same token, having the thing on their ship without Rean to protect was a horrible idea.

The way those damnable demons just pop up...

...but they could pop up without Rean being there regardless of whether they had the weapon or he did. In fact, if Terrin knew how these creatures acted, that'd be just what they would do.

There had to be an alternative. There had to be something that could both protect them and keep the weapon in their sights...

"It's staying with us," Terrin said at last, forcing himself to refocus on the situation at hand. "But I want the ship protected if that...thing is going to be aboard."

Then, turning an electric gaze to Rean, Terrin made his request. Or rather, his demand. "I want you to Force shield...or All shield...whatever the hell you want to call it...our ship. With you trailing us, that will be the best safety mechanism for us. I want to keep an eye on the device for reasons of my own, you'll just have to trust me on that. And understand that I'm putting my trust in you to protect us regardless of my concerns, so it goes both ways."

Standing, he took Galen's hand in his, but his eyes never left Master Rean's. "We are getting off this blasted planet, and I mean right now."

[ 02-16-2002 02:42 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Terrin Danner ]

--------------------

"Where's the horns, flyboy?"
~~Galen
It is a far greater thing to live a life with purpose and risk death than to simply live.~~CMH

Posts: 1188 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 146.201.38.133
Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 02-16-2002 05:07 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
((OOC: Follow Terrin, Jasyn, Master Rean and me into "A Swiftly Tilting Future" in the "Complete SW Universe" forum. That is all....))

[ 02-18-2002 12:32 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

"Sure as there is Treasure on Roon...."

Posts: 1457 | From: | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.207.184
Terrin's Crew

The Guys

Member # 142

posted 02-16-2002 09:15 PM     Profile for Terrin's Crew   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin's Crew     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Matt grimaced as he shot down the third of the energy spiders which had come after them. He hoped to high Heavens that they found Cella Poliani soon.

Finally reaching the miner's cage, he and Yaoksi entered and slowly headed down. As the cage hit the ground, Matt stepped out, Yaoski behind him. As he did so, the hint of a strangely sweet smell wafted through his rebreather. He frowned, and turned to Yaoksi. "Glitterstim," he said, more as a statement than as a question.

Yaoksi nodded, then cocked a brow. As if hearing the question the other man hadn't even spoken, Matt looked to his controls once more, then pointed. "She's that way," he said. "I'm 99.999999 percent positive. Let's just hope we don't run into anymore of our energy buddies. And let's hope that the smell of glitterstim isn't wafting from that particular direction, or else we are going to have a seriously intoxicated Jedi on our hands when we do find her..."

--------------------

Crew currently consists of Aaron Barnes, Taylor Garrison, Jasyn Lancaster, and Matt Stanza
"We don't need no stinkin' Jedi!" ~~Jasyn
"Never trust a scoundrel."~~Aaron Barnes

Posts: 302 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Dec 2001  |  Logged: 146.201.34.12
Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 02-19-2002 10:26 PM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I drew in a deep breath and aimed my luminary down the passageway Matt indicated. It looked too long and entirely too dark for my liking, but....

"Okey day, pal. If that's where you say she is, then let's go get her and get back to the surface. I don't do very well underground, in case you were wondering."

The look Matt shot my way in response to those words only spoke his unvoiced opinion that he had already figured that out about me. Hey, some might call me cowardly when it comes to things like that, but I never had been one for confined spots, other than those within a good, fast ship. Give me wide open spaces... or the eternal openness of Space itself. That I can handle. Creeping about in the dark far beneath the light of day smacked too closely of those things that go bump-in-the-night; suppressing a little shudder, I hoisted my blaster and proceeded down the corridor, trying not to tiptoe, much to the obvious amusement of my companion.

As I moved along, I could hear him snorting to himself as he tried to be polite and choke back his laughter. I grumbled a little to myself when I heard that. Fates knew he was probably trying to lighten the situation a bit, but at the moment it seemed otherwise. Seeing gremlins where they didn't exist, I turned to give him a sharply defensive retort, and thus missed seeing the very real "gremlin" which suddenly came at us out of the dark. The beam from my luminary shot upward, splaying itself against the rock of the corridor, sending little reflective sparkles shining from the crystals imbedded in the matrix there. My arm shot out as I flailed to maintain my balance, but I was already halfway to the stone beneath my feet. I came to a crashing finale against the wall of the tunnel, my luminary now leaving my hand as though possessed, and for a moment I wondered why I was still able to see that which had tripped me. Then I realized it was Matt's light which was shining down toward the floor of the tunnel, where it dimly but clearly illuminated the huddled form of Cella Poliani.

The wide and startled eyes which she turned in our direction held anything but the token Jedi calm which normally shone in them. In fact, to my unbelieving eyes she looked to be quite mad.

--------------------

Posts: 607 | From: Midwest | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 205.188.198.166
Terrin's Crew

The Guys

Member # 142

posted 02-23-2002 01:12 PM     Profile for Terrin's Crew   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin's Crew     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
As if trying to convince a Jedi who had sniffed way too much glitterstim that they were friends hadn't been bad enough, the tables would not yet turn for Matt and Yaoksi.

But then, just when you think things can't get any worse, that's usually when they do.

After pulling along a highly unstable and untrusting Cella Poliani to the miner's cage, which had been a hard enough task in itself with the rocky and uneven surfaces and the anxious energy spiders, Matt discovered what their next bitter dish would be. Stepping into the miner's cage and waiting til his companions had also made it in safely, Matt pulled the lever that would trigger the cage to begin its ascension. The lever didn't respond, so he gave it another pull...to no avail.

"Uhhh...I think we're in trouble," he muttered at last, not daring to glance over at Yaoksi to see the look he knew would be planted there. Then he gave the lever another yank. As if to mock the situation, the damned thing came clean out of its track on this pull, ending up in Matt's hand.

"Okay, now I know we are in trouble." Glancing over at Yaoksi with the first look of concern he'd probably evidenced during this whole trip, Matt asked the only thing he could think of. "Got any suggestions how we are going to get out of this one?"

--------------------

Crew currently consists of Aaron Barnes, Taylor Garrison, Jasyn Lancaster, and Matt Stanza

Posts: 302 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Dec 2001  |  Logged: 146.201.34.41
Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 02-24-2002 10:47 AM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I did my utmost to avoid making direct eye contact with the remarkably taciturn jedi, but it was no use. Though she had remained surprisingly quiet for a person deep under the influence of glitterstim, her loosening psi-powers and emotional inhibitions were clearly expressing themselves through her "windows to the soul." I could feel them pounding on my back like sledge hammers; pursing my lips and ignoring them the best I could, I stepped back out of the Cage. Outside the confinements of the sole automated transportation device this sorry mine so far had to offer, I pressed up against its side and aimed my lantern upward.

It's reedy little beam lost itself to enveloping darkness about 50 meters over our heads, dimmed considerably by dust and other aerial jetsam along the way. I turned to Matt with a sigh.

"Well," I began, trying not to sound too discouraged. "It looks like we're going to have to climb for it, I suppose. If that's even possible. This shaft looks pretty smooth; obviously it wasn't meant for anything other than raising and lowering that Cage."

My shoulders slumped in a momentary fugue of perplexity. Then another thought struck me, and I brightened. "Unless you can raise the ship; maybe Nassy and K'kihl can do something to help.

"If-" I raised a hand, nodding in a preemptive manner to ward off a possible responding protest. "If the signal can get through all this rock; we're down fairly deep; umm..." I made a quick calculation in my head. "Maybe, ah, one and a half, two kilometers?"

Now I took another couple steps away from the Cage, shining my light all about me. The tunnels which bisected this central locale ran away in all directions like sandrat warrens; it didn't take a rocket scientist to realize that a "hunt-and-peck" bid for freedom would probably take a long time. A very long time. One quite possibly altogether too long in fact.

Repressing yet another shudder at the thought of dragging Cella hither and yon, seeking an as-yet-unknown pathway to the surface...

Dammit! There HAD to be one! What did the Impys do when their systems broke down?

OK, ok, so you don't really wanna go there, pal.

...I turned to Matt, waiting to hear what he had to say. All the time Cella's eyes bored into me with laser intensity, as the Jedi leaned loosely against the wall of the Cage, silent as the kilometers of stone over our heads.

--------------------

Posts: 607 | From: Midwest | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 205.188.198.156
Terrin's Crew

The Guys

Member # 142

posted 02-24-2002 02:47 PM     Profile for Terrin's Crew   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin's Crew     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The idea of climbing up the edges of a fairly smooth shaft was about as appealing as trying to hunt and peck their way out of the mines. And Matt wondered, as loose as Poliani looked at the moment, if trying to go up the shaft would end in her certain death. If they were even going to dare take that route out, everyone would have to hang on for dear life. She rather looked like she'd never get enough of a grip to take the first step up.

Scratch that idea.

Problem was, the only ways out were by trying to hunt their way back or by going up somehow. So what were their assets?

A couple of rebreathers, a broken mining cage, a commlink, and a biosensor.

...A biosensor...

Matt bit his lip, deep in thought. The biosensor had lead them to Poliani well enough. Generally speaking, the device was fairly decent at picking out human body signatures over animals.

But then again, some animals...rather unpleasant ones at that...had body signatures very similiar to humans, and they could really muck up sensor readings.

And counting on the biosensor alone might lead them right to one of those sorts of creatures.

Of course, Matt didn't think they'd likely find too many creatures in a mine. Aside from the energy spiders, which were unpleasant enough, there wasn't much here. For that matter, there wasn't anything human to track either, aside from them.

Scratch that idea.

Yep. Only one alternative. Raise the ship and pray to the Maker that you get through.

Or else hope that you come up with some brilliant escape route...soon...

Sighing, Matt finally shook himself from his musings. "I'm thinking as fast as I can," he said. "But we don't seem to have alot of options...

...Unless..."

Here he paused, glancing at the Jedi.

Maybe she could find the way out...

Then he dismissed the idea altogether, realizing that if she'd had the ability to get out of the place, she probably would have done that to begin with.

At least, he would think that she would have if she could have...

Waving a hand, he continued, "Nevermind. Had an idea, but it won't work either." Then reaching for his commlink, he sighed. "Everybody pray this gets through to the Devil-May-Care..."

Then, pressing the send button, he said, "Matt Stanza to the [i]Devil-May-Care, Matt Stanza to the Devil-May-Care, Dear gods we need your help down here..."

--------------------

Posts: 302 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Dec 2001  |  Logged: 146.201.34.79
Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 02-27-2002 11:53 AM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I crossed my arms and leaned against the side of the Miner's Cage, shaking my head at the lengthy delay that followed Matt's call for help. Somehow I just wasn't too surprised that it hadn't gotten through. Then again... perhaps it had, and we just didn't have a strong enough receiver to catch the reply.

I opened my mouth to suggest this, then thought better of it. Something told me that Matt might be more than a little bit affronted by the suggestion that his equipment might be leaving something to be desired; turning that unvoiced comment rapidly into another, I cleared my throat.

"Well buddy, it looks like something is jamming up the transmission. Maybe scattering it; Fates know what kind of ores are in the rock around here." I flashed my luminary around, pausing only momentarily as its beam limned Cella in its bright glow. The Jedi still remained mute, her eyes now having turned inward in appearance as though trying to divulge the answer to a question only she could hear. I shuddered briefly when I saw her...would she ever be back to her old self again? I wondered, then grimaced as logic immediately presented me with an answer.

As long as we remain down here, and she is constantly breathing the glitterstim we now knew was invisibly clouding the air, no. Matt and I had only the two rebreathers among us, and didn't dare risk incapacitating either one of us by giving her one of ours. Jedi powers or no, it was up to our brute strength and mental prowess... such as that is! - I laughed grimly ...to get us out of the predicament we now found ourselves in.

I straightened up with a sigh. "Maybe if we just start heading along one of those those tunnels we might find one leading upward. If we get closer to the surface, maybe our transmission can get through more clearly."

I didn't bother to mention the myriad "...or maybe nots!" that followed on the heels of that suggestion. Heading over to where Cella's stood in frozen silence, I paused and turned once more to Matt.

"Now, if your electronic wizardry could somehow recalibrate those sensors of yours to detect air pressure, or temperature, or something useful like that, we just might be able to figure out when we're getting closer to the surface or when we're going off in the wrong direction. Assuming any of these tunnels leads up and down at all, that is.

"Any further suggestions, Matt?"

I reached out and lightly grasped Cella by the upper arm. Before taking off willy-nilly, I wanted to hear what other wonders Matt might have up his sleeve.

[ 02-27-2002 11:55 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Yaoksi Joao ]

--------------------

Posts: 607 | From: Midwest | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 64.12.101.181
K'kihl

Member # 153

posted 02-27-2002 12:18 PM     Profile for K'kihl   Author's Homepage   Email K'kihl     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Into comforting hums of equipment which running smoothly is, a cry for help into my ears has come:

"Matt Stanza to the Devil-May-Care, Matt Stanza to the Devil-May-Care, Dear gods we need your help down here..."

All due haste and from my duties am I retrieved. To comm unit I go, and reply is flashing sending.

"Devil-May-Care replies, this is Devil-May-Care." My response is flashed back in hurried pulses. "Come in ground; Yaoksi and Matt, recieving you I am."
Moments pass, no answer comes. Concerned I am growing, again I try. "Devil-May-Care replies, this is Devil-May-Care" once more I transmit, then quiet as expectantly await an answer do I. None is coming, concern for my captain and friend is now growing.

What to do, what to do? What would Galen have had me do?

Galen....

Now outward send I once again, fiddling with band-widths to send out broadscale. Hoping am I that Terrin receives this; far from Sullust are we now, and time we now must not waste. Concerned am I that no reply to my response has yet to come, concern I send along the ether to those yet behind.

"K'kihl on Devil-May-Care, this is K'kihl on Devil-May-Care. Captain Danner, receiving this are you? Trouble is here on Kessel where we are, assistance we are needing. With all due haste, please respond and hail to us.

"K'kihl on Devil-May-Care, this is K'kihl on Devil-May-Care. Captain Danner, receiving this are you? Trouble is here on Kessel where we are, assistance we are needing...."

Hopeful am I that transmission will be received. Hail I over and over into suddenly lonely space.

--------------------

Somewhere in this Universe, a hydrospanner for me there is...

Posts: 138 | From: | Registered: Feb 2002  |  Logged: 64.12.101.171
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 02-27-2002 05:01 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
(OOC: Follow Yaoksi, Matt, Cella, Nassy and K'kihl into the "And Space is Around Us Cold" thread in the SW Universe forum. Thank you!)

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 207.165.114.21

All times are CT
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e