my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
»  The Holonet Boards   » Role Playing   » Complete Star Wars Universe   » Through A Glass, Darkly (Page 3)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 

Printable Version
Author Topic: Through A Glass, Darkly
Yaoksi Joao

Smuggler Extraordinaire and All-Around Good Guy

Member # 126

posted 02-03-2002 08:07 PM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I leaned back in my Captain's chair in an apparent study, my hand over my mouth as I considered the input of my companions. Both had raised good points; neither one, however, had managed to raise enough of them to totally negate the other's, or at least not to my satisfaction. Keenly aware that even making a statement of my own might be enough to begin yet another schism, I pondered what to say. At length I realized they were both looking at me, as if I were to be a tie-breaker or something.

I threw up my hands dramatically, suddenly irritated. "You know what?" I announced in a too-loud voice, then paused as they both jumped a little at my sudden melodramatic impulse. When they had settled, I leaned forward toward them, and pinned them with a look to their respective spots. "I have come to a conclusion."

I drew in a breath, aware that they were now looking at me as though the biggest krayt-pearls of wisdom were about to drip from my lips. I don't know if they really were or not, but what was about to be said originated from nothing more than good ol' common sense... the kind of common sense by which I had made a good living as a smuggler for a good many years.

"I think that all we can do is let circumstances stand for themselves. We'll get Cella, return to Sullust, and just sit back and see what develops. BUT we're not going to sit back lightly; we're gonna make good and sure there is always...always!... one of us in direct contact with Galen and Terrin, and I don't care what kind of damper this might place on them. We're going to keep them both under scrutiny; I hope we can persuade Cella into keeping an equally watchful eye out over this Rean guy."

I paused again for a space, glancing back and forth between Matt and Nassy. "We're going to guard Terrin and Galen, especially Galen, for as long as it takes, and keep Rean under a magnifying glass until circumstances parole him.

"Because when Neks come to Noghri, there really isn't anything else we can do."

--------------------

"Hey! It's not my fault!"

Posts: 607 | From: Midwest | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 152.163.197.188
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 02-04-2002 11:47 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Back in the Great Temple on Khar Delba, the Chosen Daughter let her gaze unfocus and the Glyph come to life on her forehead. It filled the air with its intense glow as, leaping out in a dazzling beam it followed the Link back to Shayla, bringing into her Adept’s mind all that had been spoken within the room in recent moments. When she was assured that Shayla had received the message, Graysith followed it with another, one more private, and one entirely of her own.

”Take care, my sister,” the warning whispered through the Link. ”There is one near you who has the ability to bring harm to you, although not to us or our destiny in general. But it is for your safety that I now have some concern; on one hand this is meant to be a test of your abilities, my sister. But on the other, I do not wish anything to happen to you.

“Do you need me there?”

Pulling back her thoughts, she looked up again into Lord Roan’s eyes, that voiceless look telling him precisely where she would go, and what she would do, if she deemed it necessary.

[ 02-04-2002 11:48 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 207.165.114.21
Shayla Stargazer Petrolu

Adept

Member # 123

posted 02-04-2002 06:49 PM     Profile for Shayla Stargazer Petrolu   Author's Homepage   Email Shayla Stargazer Petrolu     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Smiling at Graysith's offer for help, but mostly at her obvious concern, Shayla considered for a fraction of a second taking her Sister's offer.

After all, she wasn't an All user, not yet. She didn't have the skills Graysith had, and this would be difficult.

But then, calling on aid before she'd even taken the first step would go against the very reason she'd come here on her own. She, Shayla Petrolu, wanted to develop her self-esteem, her self-worth, her self-confidence. Doubting self before she ever gave herself a chance would be a step backward instead of forward.

She would do this. And she would call on help only if it were necessary. After all, this laid before her, right at this moment in time, and any delay might result in not accomplishing some of the things she desired.

"I go, my Sister, with your blessing," Shayla answered at last. "I shall be careful, but I feel this is my time to branch out, to discover what I am capable of. Should it, however, become necessary that I call for help, you will be the first to know."

Turning from the link, Shayla's hand again returned to the navboard, preparing to land the Lioness on the surface of Sullust and to follow her prey...

--------------------

"Small minds think in small terms!"
~~CMH~~
(I am NOT turning to the Darkside...)

Posts: 1711 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 146.201.34.54
Maladius

Evil

Member # 138

posted 02-04-2002 07:24 PM     Profile for Maladius   Author's Homepage   Email Maladius     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The demonic Maladius drooled and cackled hanging onto the rock across the lava river from the shaking Galen. His blood red eyes glued to her brown ones as he continued to laugh, seeing her fear.

Just one little push-- he thought, then he leaped, his pointed tail slashing through the air. Peals of laughter bubbled from his ebony lips as he saw Galen give a little scream and then hide beneath the curve of the rock behind her. He knew she couldn't stay there long, it was too hot.

Laughing and lashing his tail, he landed on the edge where she had stood before she fell, and crouched there, drooling. He peered over the edge at her and his long and pointed tail curved up over his back as he poised there waiting. He didn't have to wait long, soon the hot air and rock sent her out to the cooler portion of the ledge she was on. It was then that he gibbered louder, and lashed his tail down to stab at her.

He missed on purpose, and laughed insanely when he saw her leap aside shivering in fear. His tail promptly went after her and she leapt back. Back and forth, back and forth, such a fun game the little fellow was having with his prey as he crouched on the ledge and cackled and drooled. Soon the pregnant woman would tire as he would tire of his game. Then he would have to look for more fun.

One little push, he thought, surely they would grant him that. Just one little push....

Posts: 47 | From: | Registered: Nov 2001  |  Logged: 205.188.198.33
Terrin Danner

Exceptional Salesman turned Really Nice Guy

Member # 110

posted 02-04-2002 09:07 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
With Jedi Master Rean in the lead, Terrin felt like he was again placing the life of someone that he loved in the hands of a total stranger. Beginning to snake through tunnels of lava tubes, a demon popped up on his shoulder, whispering "If he leads you down here and leaves you, it'll take you days to get out again. That is, if you survive that long..."

Grimacing, he shoved that particular demon as far back in his mind as possible and forced himself to pay even more attention to Rean for any hint of deception.

As if he possibly could pay the man any more attention than he already was. His eyes and ears had been focused on the Jedi alone.

Jasyn followed closely behind acting as a trail and a back up man. Terrin knew if anything went amiss, Jasyn would be the first to pick up on it. And that was the reason he was behind them. One false step by Rean, and Jasyn would react. He had a quickness about him that made him good at what he did, regardless of how much he liked to complain or how much Whyrene's Reserve he could consume. Still twisting through the labrinyth before them, following the lead of the Jedi Master even with questions still firmly implanted in his mind, Terrin could only hope when they got to Galen she would be allright...

[ 02-04-2002 09:10 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Terrin Danner ]

--------------------

"Where's the horns, flyboy?"
~~Galen
It is a far greater thing to live a life with purpose and risk death than to simply live.~~CMH

Posts: 1188 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 146.201.32.215
Master Rean

Member # 151

posted 02-04-2002 11:19 PM     Profile for Master Rean   Author's Homepage   Email Master Rean     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Master Rean had barely heard Terrin's words when he had stripped off his weapons belt and headed out the door. He followed Galen's Force signature almost forgetting toput his re-breather on when he hit the surface. He felt her, she was in a very delicate state and... he could feel another one with her. His footsteps quickened; this one meant her harm. The jedi was at a dead run when he reached the opening of the lava tunnels. He turned to look back only beirfly before proceeding. Terrina nd Jasyn were doing their best to keep up as Rean plunged through the labrynth.

Rean stopped momentarily to send out his essence, reasuring Galen that they were not far away, before masking his presence. He motioned for the two winded men behind him to move forward quietly and cautiously. He could sense the chill of the sith as he approached the ledge above where a fearful Galen was being tortured by a sith monster. Rean had seen this creature one other time; he belonged to a then-sith warlord apprentice. The creature had Galen teetering on the edge, all it would take would be one wrong move.

The time to act was now; without a second thought Rean dove off the side of the ledge to the surprise of the two men that had just caught up with him. As he plumetted toward the molten lava he grabbed the creature around the neck, pulling him along to what certainly would be their firey death. maladius, who normally would be a shadowy translusent demon, had made himself tangible in order to taunt the woman. Master Rean had taken full advantage of that moment to throw him off-balance in order to keep him tangible. The creature twisted and convulsed, lashing out to be freed. Two meters from sudden death Rean drew himself up to an upright position, the lava mere meters from his feet. He held the sith demon at arm's length watching him thrash about, captured for the first time. Rean had a firm grip around his neck but Maladius's claws were slicing deep gashes into his arm.

"Begone, sith spawn!" Rean thundered in his deep voice before throwing the twisting black mass into the lava. He watched as the creature splashed into the molten fire screaming in pain. The bubbling waves washed over him searing his entire body before he could vanish through the all back to his master.

Rean levitated up to a shakey Galen, who was watching the events wide eyed. He gathered her up into his arms and began the ascent to the ledge above. He could feel her heart trying to beat its way out of her chest. He could also feel the softness of her cheek as she buried her face in his neck. Time stood still for that brief period of time until their feet touched the ground. He could feel the contractions raking her body threatening to have her deliver there in the tunnels. Master Rean gathered her once more into his arms motioning to the others as he carried her rapidly back to the surface. He followed their steps back kicking open the front door and striding through the house to place her gently on her bed. He knelt beside her bed placing both hands onto her stomach, allowing the force to send its healing through him into Galen. He continued until the contractions had ceased and she was able to lay there comfortably.

Rean looked into her eyes, allowing a small smile to play accross his lips. Knowing she was now safe once again the jedi stood up slowly, stepping back allowing the others to gather next to their friend. Then he turned to Terrin who had begun to move toward the bed. He stepped in front of the other man, holding out his wrists the palms of his hands faceing up.

"You may bind me now Terrin, as you had wished," he said in an even and stronge voice. Rean's eyes pierced the other man's and it was clear he could be bound but never broken.

--------------------

Through the force all become one.

Posts: 28 | From: | Registered: Jan 2002  |  Logged: 64.12.105.154
Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 02-05-2002 04:37 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Terrin cocked a brow in surprise.

Okay. So he was a bit on the mistrusting side...

...allright, so he was a lot on the mistrusting side. But he no longer had the ability to mistrust this man, not at the moment anyway. Not once now, but twice, he'd come to their aid. And this time perhaps he had prevented something even worse from occurring.

Although that little demon on his shoulder had his way in reminding Terrin that perhaps this was yet another trick of the Sith, he ignored it. So he still had questions, and he wanted them answered. But Terrin wanted to give Rean the chance to throw all his cards out on the table before he made any more decisions.

Laying a hand on the Jedi's shoulder, Terrin smiled just a bit. "I don't think that will be necessary. We'll talk, later." As Jedi nodded in understanding, Terrin let his arm drop back to his side. Rean then left with Jasyn following closely behind.

Turning his attention to Galen, Terrin sat on the edge of the bed, gazing into her deep brown eyes. He wondered if she was angry with him for trusting Rean, although after all that had taken place he doubted it. She knew he wasn't one to trust easily; and that very fact had almost put her in further jepordy. After all, what would have happened if he hadn't finally taken the man's offer to help?

"You scared me, love," he said at last. Then he added, "But I understand why you reacted as you did. I'm just glad that we got there when we did...that Rean lead us to you..."

He paused a moment, waiting to see her reaction, if any, to the Jedi's name. Not sensing any sort of adverse feelings in response, Terrin continued.

"...I think that he is truly who he says he is, sweets, although I have more than a few questions I want answered after today's events," he admitted, reaching a hand to her face to brush a stray tendril of red hair from her face.

"But now I think we all need a little rest." Leaning forward, he planted a small kiss on her forehead. "I love you."

[ 02-05-2002 05:29 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Terrin Danner ]

--------------------

~~Galen
It is a far greater thing to live a life with purpose and risk death than to simply live.~~CMH

Posts: 1188 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 146.201.38.37
Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 02-05-2002 08:42 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Rest? Who needs rest?

After a quick inner perusal I realized somewhat to my shock that rest was the farthest thing on my personal agenda at the moment. I don't know what the Jedi Master had done, but I suddenly not only felt no more aches or pains, but another deeply inner anguish seemed to have finally been totally eradicated. My eyes reflecting this surprise, mingled with not a little gratitude, I quickly sat up. Er, that is, I sat up as quickly as my body would let me; quite a difficult feat in advanced states of pregnancy.

My self-absorption turned outward, and I became aware of the words Terrin was speaking to me. He thinks we should trust this man, and he's suggesting that I follow suit? I shook my head at that incongruency: my trust had entirely emplaced itself into the hands of the blond-headed Jedi the moment I saw what he was doing to that horrible creature. I might have been being naive about it, but that little niggle which had guided me so long and so far raised it's little hand for attention, and strove to point out the little fact that, trick or not, it was highly unlikely that the Sith would turn so heinously against one of their own. As far as I knew, the demon had perished beneath the roiling lava, and good riddance to bad rubbish was my final thought on that subject.

I smiled a little, nodding in agreement. "You're absolutely right, love," I finally spoke. "I think this guy is someone we not only can trust, but in all probability need to. And trust begins with communication-

"Hey!" I interrupted myself as I got to my feet. "You, Master Rean!" I began to take a following step, but paused when I saw not only him but Jasyn as well coming to an immediate halt just outside our bedroom door.

"Terrin is right; we do need to talk. Only I really think the time for procrastinating has long passed. We already know what those Sith have done in retaliation for us stealing the Nar Kelba; I don't like to imagine what lays in store for the fact that we stole the Claw when we did so.

"But we somehow managed to hurt their little imp; I really shudder to think of what might happen now as a result of that. I really think that now is the time to lay our cards on the table and be nothing but brutally honest with each other."

I stopped, keenly aware of the slight frown crossing Terrin's face. However, I was also aware that time was rushing forward... and I wanted a touch more reassurance than preceding events had revealed to me thus far that my baby was going to be absolutely safe when she was born.

I swallowed and pressed on. "Can't we go get comfortable over a cuppa caf, and shake the last skeletons out of our various and sundry closets?"

I took one step toward the Jedi, then turned to Terrin. Then, in an effort to link them together across some sort of emotional bridge, I just stood there and held out a hand to each of them.

--------------------

"Sure as there is Treasure on Roon...."

Posts: 1457 | From: | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.104.59
Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 02-05-2002 09:12 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Terrin's frown shifted to a small smile as he understood that Galen was trying to bridge the gap.

The gap that you've made by not trusting Rean, you ole' pirate! the angel that popped onto his shoulder sputtered. Businessman or not, you've still got the smuggler in you, don't you buddy? He's been in you for longer than you'd like to admit...

His grin shifting to a more bemused look that was completely a result of these inward musings, Terrin was unaware if anyone else had a clue what was going through his brain.

And there was something else. This seemed like the first time in months, since that horrible, awful night, that Galen radiated any amount of certainty about anything. She knew as well as, probably more than, he and the others that they would still face alot of troubles and alot of obstacles...they were still in harm's way. But she seemed to have some bit of hope that something could be done to combat this now; something that she hadn't had evidenced since that terrible evening...

Finally realizing he still hadn't moved a millimeter, Terrin stood, smiling and taking her hand in his and squeezing it. Then he looked over to the Jedi and to Jasyn. "Okay, time for some caf and some closet-cleaning..."

[ 02-05-2002 09:16 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Terrin Danner ]

--------------------

~~Galen

Posts: 1188 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 146.201.35.130
Shayla Stargazer Petrolu

Adept

Member # 123

posted 02-06-2002 07:28 PM     Profile for Shayla Stargazer Petrolu   Author's Homepage   Email Shayla Stargazer Petrolu     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
As one would regard a shadow on the ground, not a soul noticed the sly entrance of Shayla Petrolu in the All-blanketed Lioness. Neither did they notice, in all the commotion, her trail.

Making certain not to come close to the All user, Shayla was able to track Terrin Danner and his crewman just enough to know where they had gone. Fortunately for her, the Jedi remained far enough ahead of the others and so focused on his task that he'd missed her presence all together.

Curious as to what all the turmoil was about, Shayla waited til the party retreated before making her next move. She slithered from her hiding place in the labrinyth of lava tubes and quickly headed to the place where the others had been.

An ocean of lava boiled about eight feet underneath her, and from the looks of things a cliff had recently been shattered from its existence. Carefully, Shayla stood near the edge of the rifted cliff, looking below and wondering just what had pulled her to this particular place.

She should be following the others and trying to find out the identity of that man. She should be awaiting the Child's birth...

Then, in a vision that at first seemed completely unreal, Shayla caught sight of that which had pulled her to this wretched spot.

There...dangling peculiarly a couple of meters above the boiling lava-ocean...

Now smiling broadly, she called it to her, cupping the object in her right hand. Then she placed her balled fist in front of her face and opened it in wonder as she peered at the glorious sight. Realizing the importance of her find, Shayla hurried from the lava tubes and back to the Lioness, her hand wrapped tightly around the object as if to never have it disappear again.

Graysith would be very, very pleased...

[ 02-06-2002 07:41 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Shayla Stargazer Petrolu ]

--------------------

~~CMH~~

Posts: 1711 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 146.201.38.6
Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 02-06-2002 08:09 PM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Proximity sensors came to screaming life, making me jerk awake with a start. Unthinking, I began to roll sideways to slide out of bed... and nearly fell on my face in front of my navigation board. It had been a long time since I had fallen asleep on the bridge... my right hand flailed for balance, even as I reached to flip us out of hyperspace. Coming into the Kessel system as we were, this was no time to be flying blind. The hovering threat of the nearby Maw warranted nothing but the highest respect from pirate and smuggler alike; gods know that I've flown it once before, and that was one time too many. I had always vowed to never return to the potato-shaped oddball that Kessel was....

Now I sat up, totally alert, and placed Devil-May-Care into manual control. While we were coming in from above the general plane of the Maw, the myriad black holes within that nearly unnavigable void had a nasty tendency to perturb the bajillion meteoroids from their already chaotic orbits. More than one spice runner had managed to defeat the Maw only to die at the hands of one of its unnoticed satellites.

Although it took every ounce of concentration I possessed, I managed to avoid the major bodies which occasionally came looming unexpectedly up to us. After blasting a final, smaller one to dust, I guided my ship in a widening arc, the apex of which intersected the upper atmosphere of Kessel. Soon my efforts were rewarded with the vision of sickly pinkish clouds beneath us as we looped once around the planet, twice, and then settled into a steady high-altitude orbit.

I puffed out my cheeks and sat back with a sigh, powering down the majority of Devil-May-Care's systems in preparation of our departure. Then I slammed a fist on an inboard comm control. "Hey, ol' Cricket!" I called out to K'kihl, and was soon regaled with a variety of mysterious clacks and chitters which I took to be questions. I brushed them aside, and continued. "I'm about to go planetside and find Jedi Poliani; you stay here and keep the ship up to snuff, right?"

Although to the average ear the sounds emanating from the speaker's didn't seem to vary, by now I was so accustomed to the subtle Verpine nuances K'kihl was so fluent in that I clearly read his seeming affront. I grinned. "I know you will, pal," I concluded. "This ought not to take too long. Keep specs on us, and if we don't come back in a quarter cycle, come and get us!"

With that I flipped the comm to shipwide broadcast, and cleared my throat. "Attention all shipmates," I began somewhat formally. "We have successfully attained orbit around Kessel. Departure for the planet's surface will be in fifteen minutes; all desiring to accompany me should meet me at the Bee in the main docking bay. That is all."

Feeling very much the captain and more than a bit along the lines of what I named my ship, I gave my head a jaunty nod. Then I headed for the docking bay, to see who was planning to accompany me to the hideous and notorious surface of Kessel.

[ 02-06-2002 08:14 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Yaoksi Joao ]

--------------------

Posts: 607 | From: Midwest | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 152.163.197.71
Master Rean

Member # 151

posted 02-07-2002 12:05 AM     Profile for Master Rean   Author's Homepage   Email Master Rean     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Rean heard Galen's voice but couldn't hear her words. There was a disturbance not through the Force, but through the All. Someone was disturbing the Claw they had left only moments ago and now had it in their possession. He turned to face the other two who had wanted to come together. "Someone has the Claw in their possession," he told them. "Galen, you are too vulnerable right now to attempt a confrontation. Terrin, leave Jasyn to protect Galen while you come with me. We cannot allow the Sith to retain that weapon."

Master Rean left no room for argument. He grabbed his weapon belt, knowing full well what could be waiting for him. He went to the door stopping only momentarily to see Terrin striding up behind him. Sensing with the All, he followed the clear signature of the mysterious theif.

There ahead he could see a woman hurrying toward an empty spot, looking down occasionally at the Claw she had levitated into her hand. Amazingly enough, it somehow was not searing her hand even though it had only moments before hovered only meters from the moltin lava. What was more amazing was the fact that the ship that she was hurrying toward could not be sensed at all, either through the Force or through the All. Rean frowned knowing the shielding the ship had, he had little time.

Comming to a skreeching halt Master Rean extended his hand and with the All stopped the woman just as she was about to board the ship. Wordlessly he plucked the Claw right out from under her wondering sight. It seemed to laugh at her as it levitated swiftly into his waiting grasp. The moment it touched his flesh it sprang into life once more, glowing in a brilliant light. He closed his fingers around the sacred object, lowering his arm to his side. He spoke up briefly.

"I am not sure who you are, but you should not be tampering with things you don't understand."

Rean then turned once more, wordlessly moving past a stunned and panting Terrin in order to make his way back to where Galen and the others waited.

[ 02-07-2002 12:08 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Master Rean ]

--------------------

Posts: 28 | From: | Registered: Jan 2002  |  Logged: 205.188.199.157
Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 02-07-2002 05:45 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Just a few steps behind Master Rean, Terrin couldn't stop his mind from spinning. They were going to be in serious trouble soon, he just knew it. And pointing out to Rean the identity of the thief was first on his mind. He hadn't recognized her first; her hair was a bit longer than it used to be and she seemed to have a more confident aura than she once did. Only after the Jedi Master had taken the Claw back from her did Terrin really catch her features enough to realize just who they were dealing with.

Strangely enough, she hadn't tried to follow him back as he returned to the underground home. She hadn't spoken a word, in fact; not that he had either. Terrin had to wonder why she had been sent here and, more importantly, if she was alone.

Well buddy, if she was alone before she won't be after THAT, a devil persisted.

OH SHUT UP!

After securing the door behind him, Terrin headed for the room where Galen, Jasyn, and Rean had gathered. He turned and addressed Rean directly.

"I think we're in trouble," he started, taking a moment to catch his breath. "The woman who tried to make off with the Claw...that was Shayla Stargazer Petrolu, a former Jedi student. Last anyone heard a thing about her, she was the student of one of the Sith, in particular the student of Graysith. And something tells me she's been sent here to watch us, my friends..."

[ 02-07-2002 07:42 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Terrin Danner ]

--------------------

~~Galen

Posts: 1188 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 146.201.32.12
Shayla Stargazer Petrolu

Adept

Member # 123

posted 02-07-2002 05:59 PM     Profile for Shayla Stargazer Petrolu   Author's Homepage   Email Shayla Stargazer Petrolu     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Shayla was far too angry with her failure to keep the Claw to even be concerned with the fact Terrin Danner had been with the impudent Jedi Master.

Things I don't understand?!? Typical Jedi, always assuming without seeing the real picture! That fool isn't going to have a clue what to do with that weapon either...

...and he's going to regret the moment he decided to take it back from me. That weapon was made by the Sith and belongs rightfully to the Sith, the true users of the All.

Time for him to get a load of someone who can really match his powers, if not supercede them. And the Jedi moan and groan about Graysith picking on innocent students...

Entering the still-shielded Lioness, Shayla sent a thought out to her Sister.

I had the Claw in my possession, she started. The mysterious All-user pilfered it from me. I am sorry, my friend, I have failed you. I shall continue to keep watch, as you have asked me. But I feel that you and Your Dark Heart may wish to take matters concerning the Claw into your own hands.

This Jedi Master needs to meet his match...

[ 02-07-2002 07:34 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Shayla Stargazer Petrolu ]

--------------------

~~CMH~~

Posts: 1711 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 146.201.32.12
Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 02-07-2002 08:49 PM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
A somewhat peeved Captain Joao leaned back against the hull of the Bee, his arms crossed, tapping his foot impatiently. For the fifth time he glanced at his chrono, then over to Matt. The other man merely raised his brows and shrugged in turn. The look he directed into Yaoksi's green eyes seemed to say, Hell if I'll ever understand women; don't ask ME where the Twi'lek went...!

At length Yaoksi reared off the durasteel plating of his infiltrator's hull. "OK, then," he began with a little sigh of disappointment. He turned to Matt. "Looks like it's just gonna be you and me, pal."

With that, he waved his hand toward the open hatch of the Bee, indicating that Matt enter and make himself comfortable. The moment the other man had entered he followed, closing the hatch behind him. Making his way to the forward pilot's seat, he began a quick systems check and warm-up procedure. Soon his navigation board glimmered as myriad green lights proceeded to pop on and inform him that all systems were go.

He leaned forward and flipped a comm switch. "Bee to Devil-May-Care, we have green board and are requesting bay vent for departure." He sat back, adjusting a couple controls as a red light began blinking a vibrant warning, telling him wordlessly that whatever he would do now, it would behoove him to NOT step one foot out of his little ship. A forgotten datapadd flicked past, substantiating that warning as it headed out into space along with the atmosphere once held within the bay.

Yaoksi smiled a bit, grasped the controls, and waited for the light to turn green. Then he asked the Beeto do what came so naturally to her, and she happily obliged him. In a burst of ignition and a completely soundless accompanying roar, the infiltrator leapt out from its hangar and headed toward the sickly mauve potato that was Kessel.

Now Matt sprang into helpful life in the seat next to him. His eyes seemed to widen with pure joy as he began fiddling with the bio-sensors, seeking the unique signature of Cella Poliani from whatever other organic life that might still be evident on the planet below. Yaoksi couldn't help but see that look, and he smiled. Nothing he enjoyed better than the company of a man who appreciated a good ship... unless it was the actual ship itself. He refrained from pointing out shortcuts to Matt, understanding that half the fun was discovering them on one's own, and realizing that the man had the intelligence to do so quickly. His smile broadened as that thought was justified by Matt's low whistle.

"I think I've found her," he announced, adjusting a dial to clear up the muzzy signal he was receiving. "She seems to be inside one of the old Impy forced labor mining camps, ahh--" He fiddled a bit longer, then turned to Yaoksi who was waiting patiently. "I have her coordinates as 380357N by 1274524E, or at least somewhere within a square klick of that position." Sitting back in his seat, he turned to Yaoksi with a satisfied look on his face.

"Way to go, Ace," Yaoksi smiled before typing in the coordinates. "You ever need a job as a navigator, you just come see me, ok?" Still smiling, he then focused all attention on his controls, and soon brought the Bee into a gracefully swooping descent through the terrible atmosphere of the remote little planet.

Matt's orienteering was impeccable; no sooner had the values begun to scroll across his data screen than Yaoksi caught a visual of the old camp in his forward viewscreen. In a whirl of dust and blasted rock and soil, the lethal little infiltrator came to a feather-light landing immediately outside the perimeter of the mining camp. Yaoksi powered down then sat back, puffing out his cheeks.

"Well," he finally spoke. "The easy part's over. Don't forget your rebreather; you won't last long on the surface without it."

With that he got to his feet and indicated Matt lead the way. Soon the pair had departed the ship, and stood on the salty, barren soil of the surface of Kessel. About half a klick ahead of them, the crumbling facade of a foreboding primary entrance loomed in the dim light of the planet's setting sun.

Yaoksi shook his head. "Figures we'd be heading into nightfall," he commented wryly as he set off toward the old durasteel gate. "Just gonna be all that much more fun finding the Jedi.

"C'mon, let's go get her. Hopefully she'll be sensing us, and this won't take that long."

Whatever thoughts Matt had on that subject he kept wisely to himself, and together the two men proceeded to seek out Jedi Knight Cella Poliani.

[ 02-10-2002 04:53 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Yaoksi Joao ]

--------------------

Posts: 607 | From: Midwest | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 205.188.199.179
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 02-07-2002 10:18 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The Glyph on Graysith's forehead ravened into life, and she sent a returning directive to Shayla. Take care, my sister, she warned her. The one who has harvested our treasure is stronger than you perceive him to be. I do not wish anything to happen to you; beware this one, and stay away from him at all costs. I shall inform my Lord of the events which have transpired with you, and we shall see what his input shall be.

The Link snipped off with an almost audible snick.

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.199.169
Master Rean

Member # 151

posted 02-08-2002 11:24 PM     Profile for Master Rean   Author's Homepage   Email Master Rean     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Master Rean took off his weapons belt once more taking care to remove his lightsaber. He walked back to where Galen was sitting, extending his hand that held the Claw. "Galen, there is one matter that I must address and then I wish to have our talk. Please keep the Claw with you for safekeeping along with my lightsaber." He allowed the Claw to drop into her waiting hand before extending his lightsaber to her.

"The All user has not left the planet and I feel that she is not an asset to us at this time. I wish to speak with her but I will not confront her with hostility. I will be back soon." He turned on his heel striding out the door without another word. Rean made his way back to where Shayla's ship sat unmoving, still sheilded to the Force and the All, but not to simple vision. He made his way around it until he found the emergency hatch which he jimmied open. Once inside the ship he cloaked his presence with the All.

Shayla sat in her Captain's chair staring straight ahead, when she heard from the darkness behind her: "You wish to teach me a lesson, young one?" Rean stepped forward into the light, arms extended and clearly unarmed.

"Please, come, teach me."

[ 02-08-2002 11:31 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Master Rean ]

--------------------

Posts: 28 | From: | Registered: Jan 2002  |  Logged: 152.163.197.209
Shayla Stargazer Petrolu

Adept

Member # 123

posted 02-09-2002 12:03 AM     Profile for Shayla Stargazer Petrolu   Author's Homepage   Email Shayla Stargazer Petrolu     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Shayla stood and spun around, her senses on high alert.

Who WAS this guy? Why had he bothered her? She hadn't done anything, aside from taking the Claw which rightfully belonged to her Sister...

Folding her arms, she simply looked at the man coolly. He was clearly challenging her, thinking that she would make the first move, take the offensive.

He was mistaken.

Shayla wasn't stupid enough to go head to head with this guy. She was but an Adept and a learner, and he was far more experienced. She wouldn't play whatever game he had in mind. If someone was going to take the first shot, it would be him and not her.

"The lesson you shall learn will not be taught by me," she answered quietly but with an edge. "Why have you truly come here? Or did you really think I'd respond to your challenge?"

Pulling her arms even more closely to her, Shayla awaited the man's response.

--------------------

~~CMH~~

Posts: 1711 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 146.201.32.148
Master Rean

Member # 151

posted 02-09-2002 10:09 PM     Profile for Master Rean   Author's Homepage   Email Master Rean     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The Jedi Master gracefully manuvered into a nearby chair that would allow the two to be face to face. Rean was careful to leave his arms resting on the chair so that his hands were in plain sight. Rean could feel the woman's nerves were on edge, no doubt she had been warned by her teachers to avoid him. He closed his eyes briefly opening a private link between himself and Galen. Rean wanted the two woman to understand each other even if Shayla's understanding would have to come at a later time.

Master Rean opened his eyes once more to the woman who watched him pensively. He spoke not a word but took everything in through the Force and even some through the All. It amused him how easy that glove fit even though he had been out of practice for years now. He tried to keep the atmosphere around them as calm as possible all the while showing himself not to be a threat.

"Shayla Petrolu, I have come to talk to you. I have heard of you only recently through the New Jedi Councel. You began your training as a jedi at the Praxeum but left to learn under another, is that correct?" Rean could not only see but feel the young woman's apprehension where this man, this jedi, was concerned. She was still unsure of his intentions or motives for that matter.

"I am sorry, please forgive my abrupt nature, as well as my earlier misleading statement to you. It was momentarily necessary. My name is Master Rean, and I am from the New Jedi Councel. They sent me to correct two jedi that I am sure you are familiar with, a Master Jeroc and a Cella Poliani. They have caused some irreparable damage to some that I must find a way to repair, while teaching them the proper ways of the Jedi." He cleared his throat as he continued his explanations, all the while keeping his crystal blue eyes locked to hers.

"Shayla, if I may call you that, I have not come here for a confrontation. I have also not come here to force anything upon you or to try by any means to pass any judgments on you. We all have our faults and it is no ones, including the Councel's, place to judge. I feel your misgivings which is only right, given the fact that you had to be warned of me. I know who your teacher is and of her Dark Heart; I also am fully aware of why you are here.

"I wish to talk with you, to understand why you have chosen this path. I will, however, abide by your wishes; if you wish for me to leave now I will do so. You have my word that I will not trouble you in this matter again." Rean sat motionless awaiting the young adept's reply.

[ 02-09-2002 10:20 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Master Rean ]

--------------------

Posts: 28 | From: | Registered: Jan 2002  |  Logged: 152.163.195.209
Shayla Stargazer Petrolu

Adept

Member # 123

posted 02-10-2002 12:00 AM     Profile for Shayla Stargazer Petrolu   Author's Homepage   Email Shayla Stargazer Petrolu     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Shayla cocked a brow, intrigued. This guy was more perceptive than she had originally thought. She wondered exactly what his intentions were. Was he, after all this time, trying to turn her back? Was he implying that Jeroc and Cella had done something wrong in losing her to the Sith?

Funny, Shayla really didn't think of herself as being "lost to the Sith" anyway. Rather, she felt that she had been found by them. And she wasn't about to betray them now, not after they had done so much for her.

Letting herself relax a bit but staying on the alert, she decided she'd at least entertain this one for a little bit. "I have chosen this path through my own means as well as through the means of the All which guides. There are those that I care greatly about, those that you and others misjudge. I will not turn my back on them now, or presume to speak for them.

I chose this path because there is far more to the scope of life than the Light Side or the Dark. These are but small pieces of a much grander and beautiful picture. So tell me," she said, changing the subject just a bit, "Why is it that one who has use of the All places himself among the Jedi?"

Curious as to the man's response, Shayla sat and tilted her head a bit, waiting his next reply...

--------------------

~~CMH~~

Posts: 1711 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 146.201.36.18
Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 02-10-2002 04:18 PM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I leaned back, my weaponed hand resting lightly on my hip as I peered upward into the deepening gloom. There towering about 60 meters over my head was a rusting archway, bits of weathered metal hanging from it like spiderwebbing. Half hidden by the moving finger of Time, eroded characters written in an old Imperial script pronounced words to the effect of, "All Hope Abandon, Ye Who Enter Here." I straightened up with a shiver, and planted a worried look on Matt.

"You sure she's in there?" I indicated the forboding entrance with a nod of my head. Then I looked around at the crumbling salt flats over which we had trekked to get here from the Bee. I'd much rather trudge for kilometers over that desolate terrain than to enter into one of the forbidden spice mines of Kessel; not only were they notorious for the Empire's lack of proper upkeep, they were home to the stealthy and deadly energy spider. The Impys had long gone, but I really had my doubts about those spiders... with a small gulp, I tightened my grip on my blaster and directed a hopeful look in Matt's direction.

He fiddled with his biosensor, then raised his shoulders in a shrug. "Yup, she's in there," he affirmed, now pinning my eyes with his. Then his eyes moved off to stare through the massive gateway. "According to what I have here, she's about two and a half klicks due east by northeast. Maybe three; there's a lot of ore here that's kinda messing with the sensor." He shook it for emphasis, then quieted.

I couldn't help the sigh that escaped my lips. Blast that Master Rean; he just couldn't have sent her to Dagobah or one of the Outer Rim worlds; oh no, he just had to zip her off to this backwater of the forgotten swamps of the Galaxy instead. I hoped to Fates she hadn't actually been planted inside one of the tunnels themselves; dire and unseen dangers lurked therein, and not only in the form of the aforementioned energy spiders. It was well known that glitterstim dust often wafted up-tunnel from the mining depths below; it didn't take the inhalation of much to produce an instant addiction in anyone breathing it in, and I didn't know if she had a rebreather on her. The thought of a Jedi Knight suffering from THAT unpleasant malady was more than I wanted to consider at the moment, since glitterstim was reknown for it's ability not only to heighten one's mental and telepathic abilities, but to loosen one's emotional inhibitions as well.

Forcing down another shudder, I sighed. My hand tightened its hold on my blaster. "Well, I guess there's nothing for it but to go on inside, is there? C'mon, let's do it and get the hell out of here." With that, I checked my own rebreather yet again, and stepped through the massive gate, followed by Matt, who I was certain was just as apprehensive as I was about this entire affair.

I all but tiptoed as we moved along the abandoned and ghost-haunted avenues of the old Imperial camp, my eyes everywhere, my blaster in dutiful synchronization. There wasn't so much as a puff of wind to mar the oppressive silence of the place; the only sound was the steady crunch, crunch, crunch of the salt crystals which gave way beneath our feet. Wonderful old Empire, wouldn't even spring for the cost of pavement here....

My wandering thoughts were interrupted at length by an announcement from Matt. "OK, sorry buddy, but I think she's in there." He indicated a mining tunnel off to our left, and about half a klick in front of us. He pursed his lips, fully realizing the import of the words he had spoken to me. "Yeah, I'm positive," he replied to my upraised brows. I sighed again.

Oh yeah. This truly DOES all keep on getting better and better and better....

Making my blaster an automatic extention of my body, fully attuned to every sense I possessed, I took a breath and continued on through the darkness which by now had fallen about us. Soon I led my companion to the mouth of that tunnel where, after but the merest moment of hesitation, we girded our figurative loins and entered into the even deeper darkness which taunted us there.

[ 02-10-2002 04:32 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Yaoksi Joao ]

--------------------

Posts: 607 | From: Midwest | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 152.163.195.204
Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 02-11-2002 07:11 AM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Terrin was troubled. Although he had every confidence in Master Rean, especially after recent events, he couldn’t understand why the man had gone back to talk to Shayla.

She was that psycho-woman’s student now. And she was here, watching them.

Watching them for what? Since when had the Sith ever needed someone to come watch for them? Usually they just popped up out of nowhere and did something or other that was absolutely horrible.

Then reality dawned in him.

The baby. She was here to wait for her birth. And then...

...then...

Suddenly a quite natural and altogether furious and passionate thought welled within him.

Over his dead body would she take little Jhin’Darra. And over his dead body would she dare touch either the little one or his fiancee, his soon to be bride, his true love... Sure, he might not be a Jedi. He might not have one lick of Force ability. But he’d gladly give everything he had if that’s what it took to protect them.

Truthfully, the entire thing infuriated him. In trying to take the baby before she could even hold her own head up, everyone was deciding for her what she should do with the gifts she had been given. Since when did everyone else come over her own wishes and the guidance that would be given to her by her family? Her mother? Her...father? By those who loved her?

Running a finger along the rim of his fresh cup of caf, he look over the table to Galen and then to Jasyn and back. There his gaze rested on her pair of brown eyes. When Rean returned, Terrin wanted to get everything, and that meant everything, out in the open.

They were going to protect this little girl and her mother, at whatever cost...

--------------------

~~Galen

Posts: 1188 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 146.201.32.224
Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 02-11-2002 09:25 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I looked across the table at Terrin, and saw a reflection of my own rising doubts in the troubled expression which was planted across his face. Our eyes met, and I reached out to lay a hand softly on his own. Somehow I knew he was worried as to why in Hell's Seven Circles this Jedi had taken off with him in tow, retrieved the Claw, returned to us, only to whip back off to confront my ex-sister's little lackey. Whatever possessed him to do that, leaving us sitting here alone with the Claw, was beyond my ability to figure out.

I sighed, and looked at the nasty weapon which lay quiescent on the table next to my plate of food. Suddenly not hungry any longer, I reached out a finger to push my cold food away from me... and in pulling it back allowed it to lightly trace the alien designs on the articulated device. I shivered, remembering it on my sister's finger, and how it came to be here now....

Pulling my hand back with a jerk, I raised my eyes to Terrin's again. I squeezed his hand with my other, my thoughts beginning to drift. And I didn't like the look of the murky waters into which they were drifting.

There had to be something we could do to assure our safety, Jedi Master with us or no. The way these demons kept popping in and out of our lives, wreaking havoc with almost offhanded nonchalance, was certainly not something we could defend ourselves against with normal weaponry. To be honest, I didn't really think the Force that the jedis used with such dignified pride would even be helpful; something told me that Force was just a drop in the bucket in comparison to what we were up against.

The All. What the heck WAS that, anyway? Did it have anything to do with those wonderful little ships I had, er... appropriated from that awful planet where this entire mess had been given birth? The mere thought of my uncatchable little ship yanked me off into a tangent:

While Jester had been flung into a star in a fit of rage by that awful Sith Lord who had hounded Sorben and I, somewhere Jester II was still functioning. Rather, I hoped not actually functioning per se, but operable and just waiting. I wondered if Quee still had her docked aboard his ship, waiting for me to come back and claim her. And Khaandon knows she had the ability to elude that nasty Dark Lord... maybe she could help us to elude this bunch as well.

The problem was, I didn't have a clue where Quee had gone after I left Sorben. Maybe back to his retreat on Sol Varek. Possibly to the Bounty Hunter's Guild, to leave my little ship with Seus. I wondered if those there still remembered me, and would yet extend a hand of friendship in our direction for my sake alone. That was a possibility....

Placing a hand across my mouth, I considered this for a bit. Then I spoke up, and proceeded to spit out my musings, wondering how Terrin would react to them and the potential they held.

[ 04-26-2002 06:53 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

"Sure as there is Treasure on Roon...."

Posts: 1457 | From: | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.102.169
Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 02-11-2002 10:49 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
A ship that could elude a Dark Lord...

Perhaps this was truly something worth pursuing. Just two problems. First, the baby could be coming any time now. How were they going to go spacing to find a ship with a little one soon to arrive?

Secondly, Terrin wondered if the nasties they were dealing with now were the same as this Dark Lord that Jester II had been able to elude. These guys seemed to be even worse than any Sithspawn he could possibly ever imagine. Would they be able to even get past the wonderful workings of this ship?

Frowning a bit as he thought, one obnoxious shoulder devil finally made a point worth listening to. You won't ever know if it'll work or not if you sit on your rear and never try it.

No time like the present.

"I think we should contact the Bounty Hunter's Guild and try to find Seus," he said at length. "The ship may or may not get past the Sith we are dealing with and might not even be in our grasp, but at the very least having more contacts means having more friends to call on. And we'll never know if the ship will possibly help us unless we have her. Any small item in our favor is worth going for, and the time to act is now..."

...before something else happens to one of you, a nagging mental voice added.

[ 04-26-2002 06:55 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

~~Galen

Posts: 1188 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 146.201.32.98
Dark Lord Roan

Ultimate Sith Lord and Warrior

Member # 137

posted 02-13-2002 11:49 PM     Profile for Dark Lord Roan   Author's Homepage   Email Dark Lord Roan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The flames of the All danced with delight as their Master called them to action. The Dark Lord extinguished his lightsaber, placing it off to the side. He first reached out to Graysith, demanding that she drop the protective shielding she had placed around the ship. She had no choice but to obey him. Once the shielding had been dropped he thrust his arm into the flames. It was mere seconds before his claws gripped around the soft flesh of Shayla's throat. It was all he could do to not place that hairs breath of pressure needed to crush her throat. Roan, with a single motion, pulled his arm back through the flames bringing a startled Shayla, feet dangling in his grasp. The flames extinguished before the Jedi, still in the ship, could react, and Rean was left in the ship alone.

[ 02-14-2002 04:07 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Dark Lord Roan ]

--------------------

Cry havoc! And let slip the dogs of war!

Posts: 214 | From: The darker side of midnight.... | Registered: Nov 2001  |  Logged: 152.163.195.204

All times are CT
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e