my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
»  The Holonet Boards   » Role Playing   » Complete Star Wars Universe   » Stranger Than Fiction (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Printable Version
Author Topic: Stranger Than Fiction
Yaoksi Joao

Smuggler Extraordinaire and All-Around Good Guy

Member # 126

posted 09-29-2001 02:58 PM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I hunched my shoulders, hunkering over my Alderaanian ale, scowling into the noise and smoke that presented The Blue Asteroid as being no different from any other similar establishment on any other inhabited planet.

Sheesh, can't anyone come up with another name? You'd think that the Universe consisted entirely of tiny bits of lapis rock whizzing hither and yon, and that some Great Unknown was determined to name a bar after each and every one of them!

I sighed, then directed my scowl from the bar in general back to my ale. I took a deep draught of it, trying to blank out the gaiety around me as I thought once again of the whimsical nature of Fate which had decided to reach out and fling me here to Dalius City. Thought back to that one awful moment aboard the Pride of Yavin, where Cella had merely given my announcement of imminent departure a look full of unspoken thoughts...

...and had quietly departed the Bee to join her fellows on the Jedi ship. The hatch sliding closed behind her had only underscored the sudden silence which filled my fighter when I found myself alone.

I actually had thought she might have tried to talk me out of it.

Feeling a sudden emptiness which I knew to the very core of my being was going to take something momentous to fill, I had then reached out and placed a light finger upon one particular button. The Bee rose gracefully on her repulsors, rotated 180 degrees about her Y-axis, and escaped into the star-filled void beyond.

In thus a manner I fled Pride of Yavin and Cella and my own promise to help her. The fact that I felt like some kind of traitor did not go far toward appeasing the pain which continued to grow inside of me. My bag of credits lay like the stones affixed to the feet of a hangman's victim; for a moment I thought of flinging them into the void as well. Then I sighed, and sat back, letting the Bee carry me to my suddenly lonely home.

The events which followed passed in a blur. I remember storming out of my little interceptor once safely docked inside Devil-May-Care, stomping to the bridge and keying in coordinates for ANYPLACE that simply WAS NOT HERE. Devil-May-Care responded with her usual obedient efficiency; in but moments we had shot into hyperdrive and were away.

We had traveled thus for about a day or so when suddenly, like a nerf departing it's mother in a-borning, my ship had given a light shudder, then gracefully slipped from hyperdrive, shedding velocity right and left. A quick study of my systems told the sad tale: the hyperdrive motivator, always a quirky beastie, had chosen this auspicious moment to declare its own brand of independence and had simply up and died.

And me without a hydrospanner, sheesh....

I directed a darker scowl into my ale at that thought. I fixed that hyperdrive motivator, dammitall! I HAD IT TOTALLY FIXED!

I sighed again, slumping back. Apparently not good enough, ol pirate, I finally had to admit. Maybe if you DO go through with what you considered earlier, and find yourself a partner, you'd better make sure he's a better mechanic than you are. A Wookiee or Verpine or something...

No sooner had this thought crossed my mind, when a real Verpine clattered into the bar, moving in that oddly insectile manner the species possessed. He was hot on the trail of what might be a human; at least the bounty hunter looked humanoid. I couldn't see his actual features for the visored helmet that hid his face.

The seemed to be engaged in something of a heated argument. The hunter turned briefly to the Verpine, raising a gloved finger to shake in the mandibles of his companion. The he threw himself into the nearest chair, the lifted finger now directing the Twi'lek waitress to hurry with his order. She moved quickly away, returning just as quickly with a tall glass filled to the brim with the characteristic smoky ruby of Walk'nFall.

Whoa. Walk'nFall. Heavy, heavy stuff. Maybe I'd better keep an eye on these two.

I took another sip of my drink, pretending to stare off into the middle space about me, all the while keeping a sharp and stealthy eye pinned on the bounty hunter and the Verpine.

[ 09-29-2001 03:13 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Yaoksi Joao ]

--------------------

"Hey! It's not my fault!"

Posts: 607 | From: Midwest | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 205.188.192.51
Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 09-30-2001 06:42 PM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The bounty hunter raised a finger once more in the face of the still protesting Verpine, then moved that hand upward. With a vicious yank, he jerked the T-visored helmet from his head, and plopped it upon the table next to him. I caught a glimpse of his intensely blue, 100% human eyes before he raised his glass and took a swig of Walk'nFall..

Dammitall, I still can't quite hear what they're saying!

Trying to look casual, I got to my feet and headed to the bar. There I slid halfway onto a stool, my own finger raised now to capture the attention of the Duros bartender who likewise hovered, all ears, in the vicinity. With obvious reluctance, he turned to refresh my ale; looks like I wasn't the only one interested in the growing altercation behind me.

Hope it doesn't get too rowdy, a practical little part of me voiced in objection. I'd hate for them to be kicked out before they let out what the scoop is here....

I filed that thought away, then hunkered over my ale, acting as though the last interest I would have in the entire universe was what was continuing between the Verpine and the bounty hunter. Though they managed to keep their voices lowered, I could clearly hear every heated word they were whispering, faster and faster, back and forth between them.

"No Boss," the Verpine stated emphatically, his insectile head shaking strangely as though to punctuate his words. "Thinking am I. Not you. Go off without me, you cannot. Refuse do I." He suddenly slammed his tri-clawed, pincher-like manipulatory appendage on the table, causing the bounty hunter's helmet to leap up by the vibrations of its impact there. His large shining eyes fixed themselves on his companion; then he took his hand from the table, opened the fist, and reached for the glass held in the hunter's hand.

"Not need this, I am thinking," he commented in a lower tone of voice. His hand shot the last few centimeters in a blur, and grabbed hold of the glass. Staring intently into the reddening face of the bounty hunter, he gave a the glass a tug. "Boss Sorben, stop."

The bounty hunter would have none of it. His face continued to redden, though whether it was from anger or embarrassment or.... something else entirely.... I couldn't tell. He jerked the glass back, managing to salvage it from the grasp of the Verpine. He shot the insectoid a scathing look, and cradled the glass to his chest.

"Go AWAY, K'kihl!" the vehement whisper shot out. "I am going to do this, and you're NOT coming with me, so JUST GET USED TO IT!" Defiantly, he shot the glass up to his lips, and tossed half of its contents down his throat. "I'm better off alone..." Slamming the nearly empty glass down on the table, he twisted in his chair. That ever-present finger lifted again, signalling the Twi'lek.

Stange things happen in this Universe, I mulled to myself. And maybe here's a situation I can take advantage of.

Yet, something kept me from acting upon this, at least for the moment. I took a careful sip of my ale, my ears still acutely tuned to the little scene behind me.

Slinking up to the table came the Twi'lek, her leku waving seductively as she leaned over and set down a fresh glass of the heady stimulant the hunter was engaging entirely too much in. I heard the clanking squeak as his armored leather shifted with his movement. There came a tiny clingk as credits were tossed haphazardedly upon her tray; this was immediately followed my the Verpine's warning of, "Boss-?"

"Keep th'change, schweetie," the Hunter slurred in a too-loud attempt to sound normal. There now came a small scraping sound, followed by a heavy thump. In my mind's eye I could just see him, leaning back in a swaggering manner, nearly losing his balance altogether, then finally regaining it, the chair returning to its solid position as his weight propelled it forward instead of backward.

Fates only know I've been there, done that myself! I thought with a tiny smile, then sobered. The words were becoming a touch more interesting. I took another sip of my ale, focusing intently.

"Sh' still loves me." The words were uttered in a tone of voice so low I barely caught them. I pursed my lips in disgust. Sheesh, was all this just some sad tale of woe over a female? I quickly pushed that thought away, not wanting to examine it too closely myself, considering....

I was just thinking about getting to my feet when the next words made me freeze.

"I just KNOW that- that SISTER...!" He paused for another fortifying drink, then slammed the glass upon the table. "...that infernal JHARMEEN...!" Pause for yet another swig, accompanied this time by the crunkle as he reached out to raid the universal basket of Vhym chips sitting as an appetizer on his table...

"Jharmeen no longer, Boss Sorben," came the Verpine's low interjection. "Graysith now is, remember."

"OK, GRAYSITH!" came the rather loud response. A short sigh. "Wha'ever..." Pause for another drink; here comes the Twi'lek yet again....

I sighed now myself, beginning to rummage through my pockets to pay my bar tab when his next words caused me to freeze in mid-movement.

"WHA'EVER!" the bounty hunter spilled out in an entirely too-loud voice. "Tha-, tha- 'nfernal SITH is gonna PAY for TAKING HER!" Now came the sounds of chairs sliding, armor creaking and clanking, as the bounty hunter apparently tried to gain his feet; who he was gonna fight at the moment, Fates only knew.

My ears perked up. Sith?

For one long moment I remained utterly frozen. Common sense began waving a banner, shooting off all sorts of fireworks, red lights and sirens blaring, all the usual self-preservation warning devices in full bore.

It couldn't be... could it? But sheesh, there just aren't too many of these around anymore, not since Palpatine died; seems whatever ones might still be lurking around had taken off into various and sundry hidey-holes; there was only one I had caught the barest sniff of lately, and that through what Cella had told me... it just COULDN'T be that one, could it?

I made a sudden decision. Slapping credits on the bar, I took my ale, turned and approached the table where the bounty hunter and his companion still sat. By now the Verpine had both hands on the hunter's shoulders, either in the attempt to assist him to his feet and thus out of the establishment, or to make him sit in his seat and behave himself. They froze as I came up to the table, two sets of eyes boring into me.

Before either one could react more than that, I picked up a chair, reversing it as I smoothly slid into it. Leaning my arms upon its back, I introduced myself carefully, my hand stuck out in compelling friendship.

"The name's Joao, Yaoksi Joao," I smiled. "I couldn't help but overhear what you were talking about...."

--------------------

Posts: 607 | From: Midwest | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 152.163.206.198
Naisra'len

Member # 134

posted 09-30-2001 08:58 PM     Profile for Naisra'len   Author's Homepage   Email Naisra'len     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"We got customers," my Gotal boss Shrokar growled at me. "You best move it, Naisra'len." I muttered something foul at him in Twi'lek and moved to serve the new patrons of the Blue Asteroid. Who would be so deluded as to come here voluntarily?

Waiting tables at this Force-forsaken hole was not my choice. Shrokar owed me a couple favors, and he was helping me "hide out" for awhile. My first attempt at smuggling on my own had ended in a burnt-out ship and a destroyed spice cargo floating around a dead moon. And me, drifting away in an escape pod, watching 500,000 credits burn up in horror.

Actually, the patrons looked halfway interesting--a human man sitting by himself, a haunted look in his eyes, more than likely a smuggler like myself. I considered going over there, giving him a hint that I needed REAL work. I even had a line all thought out. "Our special today is droomin drummettes--with a garnish of mayhem." I decided to bide my time, and served him his ale. He didn't even glance my way.

I rolled my eyes and headed over to serve the newest patrons, a Verpine and a bounty hunter of some indiscernible species. The guy actually ordered a Walk'N'Fall...amazing. He couldn't have been human. I served him his drink, posing a little in hopes of a better tip. He and his companion also seemed to have much on their minds.

Well. Isn't that just dandy. Two possible outs in this dung hole and neither one is interested in a sexy little Twi'lek who can shoot a decicred a half-klick away in freefall.

I backed off a little, watched the human again. Interestingly enough, his attention was glued to the bounty hunter and the Verpine. I strutted over with another glass of the ferrocrete solvent Shrokar called liquor and kept my ears open. The hunter tossed a couple dirty credcoins and told me to keep the change. He also called me "sweetie". Damn! How am I ever going to get work this way?

I kept half an ear to the pair at the table as I filed my nails behind the bar.

"I just KNOW that- that SISTER...!" He paused for another fortifying drink, then slammed the glass upon the table. "...that infernal JHARMEEN...!" Pause for yet another swig, accompanied this time by the crunkle as he reached out to raid the universal basket of Vhym chips sitting as an appetizer on his table...

"Jharmeen no longer, Boss Sorben," came the Verpine's low interjection. "Graysith now is, remember."

"OK, GRAYSITH!" came the rather loud response. A short sigh. "Wha'ever..."

Again, an empty glass. I went over with still more ferrocrete solvent. It smelled like the stuff I used to clean gun turrets. Horrid. Maybe the guy really did need it, if he was getting mixed up with Sith.

Then the human perked up. He practically threw some credcoins at me and marched over to the table where the mysterious pair were. Huh. Something's coming together here, and if I'm lucky, they'll need a good shot.

I subtly pushed up my sleeve to expose the Gunner's League tattoo and the Smuggler's Guild glyph beneath it, and shimmied my way over to the table. "May I bring you anything, gentlemen? More drinks?" Hoping for luck, I reached for empty glasses, displaying the tattoo. "A fast trigger finger?"

They looked at me without speaking. Oops. Dammit, I'm still too green for this business!

Posts: 37 | From: see Rogue Angel | Registered: Sep 2001  |  Logged: 172.128.134.69
Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 10-01-2001 01:10 AM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
It was all I could do to keep my eyes from closing in pained disgust.

Oh Kessel, not now, not now, NOT NOW...!

I shot my gaze to the bounty hunter, who had clammed up tighter than a Toydarian's cashbox. He plopped heavily into his seat, propelled there with more than a little bit of help by his insectoid buddy. Suddenly, his entire demeanor loosened. Planting a sickly sweet smile upon his face, one which contrasted starkly with the long scar that ran down the side of it from eye to jawline, he held up that finger again, albeit a bit unsteadily.

"Sure, schweetie," he slurred, wobbling a bit in his chair. "You can bring me anything y-yer lil ol heart desires!" He wavered a bit more, leering now a bit at the undoubtedly multiple Twi'leks filling his vision.

Yet... something didn't seem quite right here...

The Verpine remained stolidly silent. I just sat where I had placed myself, willing the waitress to depart.

She only lingered where she was, as if expecting us to say something in particular. I sighed a little in frustration, turning to tell her to beat it, when I suddenly noticed the tattooes on her arm. Now I closed my eyes.

Sheesh, everyone wants a piece of eveyone else's action... and I'm not even sure there's really any here as yet.... I looked up into her face, trying to think of a polite way to put it.

Couldn't think of one word.

"Sorry, sister," I said flatly. "Not today."

I then turned back to the bounty hunter. Across the table, he was engaged in trying to lift a finger as if to follow up with something, but couldn't quite manage the simple act. He just sat there, a drunken leer planted on his rugged face, elbow propped and finger half-raised, slowing swaying against the supportive arm of the Verpine.

My eyes suddenly narrowed. I don't believe this one bit.

Quickly, I turned back to the waitress. "Look, miss," I began nicely enough. "Why don't you just go tally up my friend's tab, ok?" I threw a handful of credits on her tray, then quickly got to my feet. "That ought to cover it; we're... ah, we're leaving now."

I shot a look across the table at the bounty hunter, and actually caught the tail-end of the coldly calculating look in his eye before it was rapidly supplanted by an almost believably vapid one. Now I was struggling to keep from smiling. Gotcha...

Instead, I moved around, shot the most sincere look that I could across the closely shaven head of the hunter directly into the giant lenses of the Verpine, and put my arm around the seated man. "Here, let me help." I said nicely enough; then in a much lower tone of voice I continued with, "I'd really like to go somewhere... ah, more private where we can maybe talk?"

The insectoid glanced down at the bounty hunter, who only closed his eyes and began to hum, "Home, Home on the Spacelanes" in an off-keyed voice. He then directed those shining eyes back into mine, and gave me a quirky shrug.

"OK with me, this is," he finally said. "To our lodgings maybe you can with us come?"

"F-fine!" I agreed with a little grunt as with the help of the Verpine I hauled the dead weight of the bounty hunter from his seat and flung one of his arms about my neck and shoulder. The Verpine grabbed up the helmet and together we made our way out of the Blue Asteroid and into the bustling streets of Dalius City.

--------------------

Posts: 607 | From: Midwest | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 205.188.192.186
Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 10-02-2001 06:01 PM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Sheesh, I don't know what kind of game this guy is playing, but he can just stop any day now....

That thought took uppermost position in my mind as I struggled down the walkway, still supporting the majority of the bounty hunter's weight. On his other side, the Verpine made a great effort to at least look like he was pulling his own weight; his efforts were negated entirely by the one clawed hand with which he was idly swinging the helmet as we moved along.

OK, I've had enough of this now. Still struggling to hold up the hunter, I cleared my throat.

"Look, pal," I began, aiming these words at the Verpine. "You don't suppose-"

Where that line would have led to I'll never know because quite suddenly the subject inspiring it was entirely moot. With breathtaking suddenness, I found myself unexpectedly slammed up against a ferrocrete wall of a tiny alley we had been passing... slammed up waaaay too far down into the shadows of that alley, the steel-banded forearm of the hunter across my throat. It pressed there warningly, choking off the instinctive protests which were swimming about in my gut.

Kessel, but this guy's FAST! But then again, Yaoksi, what do you expect? He's a bounty hunter after all....

Increased pressure against my throat brought me back from that wandering thought. "Ok, buddy, exactly WHAT is it that you want from me... or know, for that matter?" The inscrutable black lenses of his t-visored helmet reflected my look of startlement and growing discomfort; sheesh, when in the name of All that Is did he manage to put THAT back on?

I struggled a little, twisting my head around in a vain effort to breathe. The arm only pressed tighter... without realizing it, I had both of my hands up around his forearm, striving with all my strength to remove it. I might as well been trying to move the muscular tentacle of a Vodragian dianoga. Sparks of light began to swim in front of my slowly narrowing vision.

The Verpine cocked his head a bit to one side, then reached up one claw. "Ahh- Boss Sorben," he began lightly, tapping the bounty hunter on the shoulder. "Perhaps telling us something this one would, if breathe he could," he commented in an offhanded tone of voice.

Thank you buddy!

For a moment the hunter only twisted his head a bit to the side, as though trying to keep both the Verpine and myself in his full line of vision all at the same time. Then he gave a curt nod, and loosened his hold upon me just a touch.

Welcomed air flooded into me, pushing back the crimson-flecked darkness that had been hovering threateningly. I gasped and would have fallen to the pavement save for the fact that his strong arm was still pinning me to the wall. Like a makant affixed to someone's insect collection, I remained stuck there. Then I managed to collect myself enough to throw this very dangerous guy the most innocent look I could, throwing my obviously empty hands out and to the sides as well.

"H-hey," I stammered with a little gulp that was not entirely contrived. "I just happened to overhear you; it looked like you two were on the outs and-"

That thought was cut cleanly off as the hunter shoved his weight fully into my throat again. "And just exactly what?" he interrupted in a chillingly soft voice. "Thought that maybe here was an opportunity to take me on, the mighty Sorben Tarnus--" Here he stopped for a moment, whether in laughter or disgust I couldn't tell. Then he firmed. "Who sent you?" he demanded suddenly. "Was it Dark?"

The Verpine jerked his head at the name. "Boss--" he began in a warning tone of voice, but was ignored completely.

"Well, was it?" The three words were punctuated by his savage thrust of his arm into my throat. My vision began to seriously darken; it was all I could do to gasp out a strangled, "N-no-oo..."

The Verpine at least seemed to be listening. I had enough wits about me to see the movement as up came the claw again, tapping. "Boss," he said again, his voice laced with a touch more urgency than before. "Killing an innocent you are maybe."

Damn Skippy! was the my last conscious thought. Then blackness overwhelmed me, and I began slumping down the wall...

When I came to, it was to find myself in the rather unceremonious position of lying in a fetal position on the cold ferrocrete of the alley. Groaning, a hand going to my throat, I hauled my aching carcass to a sitting position, gagging now as my awakened nerve endings began explaining to me in very great detail the extent of the damage my throat had received. I rubbed it with one hand, glancing around.

No sign of the bounty hunter. Oh great, so much for that idea, I thought to myself in disgust. Slowly I began dragging myself to my feet, my disgust with my own weakness deepening as the alley suddenly dipped and whirled around me. I shot out an arm, hoping it would collide with a wall and at least keep me in some semblance of an upright position...

...and was completely and utterly taken off guard when it connected with the chitinous carapace of the bounty hunter's Verpine buddy. Before I could swivel my head around to find him, I felt his claws lending me support.

"Easy, friend," came his chittery voice. "Have you, do I."

I froze, expecting another attack. The action was not unnoticed; the Verpine's chuckle came clattering into my ears.

"He is gone, friend Joao," he announced, the attempted light-heartedness of his voice underscored with a definite dark note. "Safe you are... and unemployed am I." I pondered these words as he helped me to my feet. Then, coughing a little, I turned to him.

"Where-?" I croaked, then stopped, rubbing my throat. Damn, it was going to take awhile for this to heal, I can see that! I swallowed carefully, gesturing somewhat vaguely with my free hand.

The Verpine made certain I was on my own two feet, then seemed to slump. "Know not I this," he said glumly. "Only know I that it is to find her he has gone. Dangerous, says he. Too much for me. His friend have I been... and now abandoned am I."

If mandibles could be drooping in despair, K'kihl's would have been doing it at that moment.

Well, ask and ye shall receive...!

While on the inside I was perking up and generally applauding myself, on the outside I managed to commiserate with the insectoid. "Well.. ahh, Kessel! That's just awful," I croaked in a louder voice. I reached up a hand to rub my throat, and then inspiration struck.

"Look, buddy," I began, as though I had only just at that very moment come up with the idea. "It looks as though I owe you one; I mean..." I stopped a bit, and took in a careful breath. "Back there your buddy looked as though he was gonna kill me."

SHEESH, if I EVER run into that guy again it will be too soon!

Now I was feeling my old control returning. "Look," I continued to rasp. "Why don't you come with me? Tell the truth, I'm kinda looking for a partner, someone who knows a bit about ship mechanics, and I hear you Verpines are pretty good at that sort of thing."

I paused, giving him a moment in which to consider. My timing impeccable, I interjected with, "And look, I promise if things don't work out I'll take you wherever it is you want to be taken. It has to be better than being stuck here." I waved a hand in the indication of Dalius City. "I mean, this isn't all that bad, but Fates only know I've been to way better in my day."

My attempt to brighten the Verpine's day didn't seem to be making much of a headway. For a long moment he just stood there, the very picture of dejection, his shining black shoulders stooped, his large lensed eyes downcast. Then he shrugged.

"Point you are making," he finally agreed. "Come with you I shall, nothing for me here is, and Boss Sorben by now is gone."

"Great!" I responded, clapping him on the shoulder. Where it is exactly that we would be going was another matter, but one I would consider once we were safely back aboard the Devil-May-Care. Maybe I could get a lead from this guy about some goods to grab or something; if he's been hanging out with a bounty hunter for any great length of time I'm sure he's seen plenty....

My arm around him, I turned with him and we began to head out of the little alley. We had just gained its mouth, turned right...

...and ran smack into the Twi'lek waitress from the Blue Asteroid.

I came to an abrupt halt, jerking K'kihl to a stop beside me. Fought to keep from closing my eyes.

Oh, no....

The Twi'lek only smiled that seductive little smile of hers, cocking her head and pinning her gaze to mine.

[ 10-15-2001 12:32 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Yaoksi Joao ]

--------------------

Posts: 607 | From: Midwest | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 205.188.192.184
Naisra'len

Member # 134

posted 10-02-2001 07:16 PM     Profile for Naisra'len   Author's Homepage   Email Naisra'len     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"Well, well, fancy meeting you here," I said in my very best man-charmer voice. I really do hate that sexy man-charmer voice. If I have to use it, I'm not doing my job right.

The truth is, I was actually as surprised to see him as he was to see me. After the way I'd blown it at the Blue Asteroid, and the frosty reception I'd gotten from him and the bounty hunter, I'd figured I was going to be waiting tables for the rest of my life.

My granny always did say the Force was for real, and now I believe her.

Now the trouble was, I couldn't think of anything to say. I was on my way to my nasty little apartment, but inviting the smuggler and the Verpine up for drinks seemed, eh, tactless. On closer inspection, the smuggler was pretty roughed up, as they say. And the bounty hunter was nowhere around. Hmmmmm.

"Looks like you've run into a rough spot," I chuckled, as the human smuggler glared at me. "Well, haven't we all. I've got some bacta tincture in my apartment if you want any."

The human only glared harder. The Verpine clicked its mandibles. I started to panic. My lekku waving nervously, I extended a hand. "I'm Naisra'len, fastest shot in three sectors. But don't offer your hand quite yet--you need to get cleaned up." I grinned, but my head-tails still betrayed my agitation.

"My place looks like a rancor's den at the moment, but you're welcome to crash there for a while. Or not. Your choice. It just looks to me like you need a hand."

Posts: 37 | From: see Rogue Angel | Registered: Sep 2001  |  Logged: 172.130.199.103
Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 10-02-2001 09:15 PM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I scowled as threateningly as I could.

Sheesh, what is it with this gal? the words exploded in my head. Then, tact flung to the wind, they followed forth from my mouth. Or at least tried.

"What--!" was as far as I got as my throat spasmed and threatened to close up on me altogether. I doubled over as words and breath stopped there, afraid to move in either direction, my mouth working like an opee out of water.

Bless his crackly lil ol hide, K'kihl stepped in. Grabbing me quickly in support, he kept me from completely making a fool of myself by falling to my knees, which was where I most definitely had been headed. Then he turned his head to the Twi'lek.

"Umm... thanking you we are, miss," he began, the very epitome of civility. Then, totally ignoring my waving arm...

Gakk. I couldn't so much as choke out a grunt of protest!

...he continued smoothly. "Your kind offer, we are taking you up on. This friend of mine, this partner..."

Hmmm, how quickly he changes his tune, heh. Ouch...

"...is assistance in need of. Follow you we shall, and thank you."

He then clammed up his chittery mandibles before he made his new partner too angry, and grabbing an even tighter hold of me, began propelling me down the walkway toward the waitress. Movement was helping some; while I was still far and away from being able to croak but a single word, at least I could breathe again. Air began swooshing in and out of me again as the Twi'lek let us come up to her. Then, reaching out to helpfully loosen my collar a bit-- yeah, YEAH, I SEE the tattooes already! --she turned and began leading the way to her dwelling place.

I sighed inwardly, and let K'kihl help me along. Oh, what the hey, I thought to myself. Devil-May-Care isn't ready yet anyway. Might as well go along and hear what this lady has to say. She did hint something about being a good shot...

Here my hand surreptitiously slid down and rested softly upon the hilt of my own blaster which, although not being of much help against the lightning speed of that bounty hunter, had seen me through many a tough spot in my life, and with the barest mimimum of fuss about it.

Who knows, maybe I could use another hand. I'll think about it.

Thinking was indeed all I could do as we moved along. Fates only knew when I'd be able to talk a full sentence again.

[ 10-02-2001 09:28 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Yaoksi Joao ]

--------------------

Posts: 607 | From: Midwest | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 205.188.192.152
Naisra'len

Member # 134

posted 10-04-2001 05:58 PM     Profile for Naisra'len   Author's Homepage   Email Naisra'len     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
So, thanks to the ever-so-helpful Verpine, I led the two of them to my apartment, periodically looking over my shoulder to make sure the smuggler didn't run off. He didn't look like he was in any condition to run off, however. Walking looked like about all he could handle now...and he wouldn't survive on the streets for long in his state.

After helping the Verpine carry the smuggler up the rickety fire escape to my apartment (he did NOT like that at all...if looks could kill, I would've been fried), I unlocked the door, brushed my fingers against the lightpad, and ushered my two strange guests in with a flourish. "Welcome to my humble abode."

The Verpine quite sensibly assisted the man to my couch. "Just shove the rest of that junk off," I called over my shoulder as I kicked off my ridiculously high heels and went for my medkit. The Verpine didn't look disgusted at the mess of Corellian takeout containers and newsflimsies that lay scattered in my living room, but then, he didn't have much in the way of facial expressions.

When I came back with the medkit, the two of them stopped their hushed conversation to look at me questioningly. I smiled and tried to look unthreatening. "Here's some bacta tincture and bandages, and a little synthflesh for the worst bits."

I sat down beside the smuggler on the couch and dabbed at the cuts on his face with an antiseptic wipe. He actually would've been good-looking if he hadn't been so bloody. He jerked away at the sting of the wipes, and glared at me again.

"Hey, do you want to do this yourself?" I was starting to get a little irritated.

His expression was indecipherable, but he let me continue wiping the grit off his face. I was suddenly painfully aware that my low-cut waitress's blouse was at eye level for him. Self-consciously, I pulled it up. What is wrong with you? You've never worried about modesty before. Maybe it's the fact that he's not in the least interested in you, sister...and that embarrasses you.

Tentatively, I spoke. "Don't bite me, I just want to see if your ribs are broken." As I felt his ribs, the look in his eyes said he believed me about as far as he could throw me. "Bruised, but no broken bones, I think. Nothing I can't fix."

So for about a half-hour, I sat on my couch and doctored a total stranger. It was the weirdest evening I'd had in a long time. I invited the Verpine to help himself to whatever was in my pantry as I bandaged the man's cuts and patched him with synthflesh. Neither of us spoke for a long time.

To be frank, he frightened me. Not that he was physically frightening, he just seemed so...intense. It was obvious that he had no patience with my cheap tactics. He was clearly a man of sharp intelligence, with not a whole lot of respect for me. I sighed. Who could blame him, seeing what I'd become, a creature of the streets?

I finally finished, gently buttoning up his shirt and trying to hide my growing attraction to him. "Will you stay for dinner?" I knew he wanted to leave...but I tried to look unthreatening and wholesome. Did he really have any other choice?

Posts: 37 | From: see Rogue Angel | Registered: Sep 2001  |  Logged: 172.186.73.133
Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 10-10-2001 02:23 AM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I leaned back against the somewhat raggedy couch we were perched upon, twisting my head from side to side a bit to work up the bravado to actually swallow. Much to my surprise, that little action managed to occur in a relatively pain-free state.

Sheesh, either that tincture she has with her had the wallop of a runaway ronto, or this little gal's a helluva nurse! I thought as my curious fingers tentatively began to explore the ravaged crevices of what earlier this day had started out being my face.

The Twi'lek smiled and gently reached out a hand as though to stop the movement. It froze in mid-air, however, hovering centimeters away from actual contact as though she was suddenly being hit with a wave of shyness or something. I couldn't help but grin.

Sheesh lady, you were practically hugging and clothing me mere moments ago! The fact that this errant little thought flared up as it did went a long way toward buoying up my spirits.

Looks like I'm actually going to heal after all....

Obligingly, I lowered my hand; then, the movement a calculating casual one, I laid it nonchalantly upon the back of the couch. There I idly traced the outdated patterns of its fabric with one finger.

K'kihl looked at me, then to the Twi'lek. He chattered his mandibles in a manner that was somehow...

...hungry.

Now I straightened in my seat, a genuine smile coming to my face. I let the smile carry into my eyes, and directed another look at my unexpected benefactress. She, in turn, was quite suddenly reddening in a manner that was most becoming.

For a Twi'lek, that is....

"Ok," I smiled, my entire demeanor entire degrees of bearing different from my former hostility. "To tell the truth, I guess I could use a little bit to eat, and I'm sure that this face isn't quite ready to go forth into the scrutiny of the public eye.

"Guess I owe you some thanks for repairing the damages, too."

Here I paused for a bit, letting a wealth of considerations flash through my mind. That multitudinous convergence of thoughts finally coalesced into one which has always served me well in the past.

Eat first. Talk later.

I stuck out my hand. "The name's Joao, Yaoksi Joao. My...er, partner over there is K'kihl. I want to thank you for your hospitality; maybe over dinner we can come to some sort of means where I can show my appreciation for what you've done for me."

There came a loud chittery sound which, even coming from a Verpine, was easily deciphered as being a snort. I utterly ignored him, continuing on instead after directing a quite obvious glance at the tattooes laid bare upon Naisra'len's arm.

"Maybe while we're eating you'll charm us with the tale of how a nice girl like you got to working in the dregs of hell as you are?"

If K'kihl were physically able, I'm quite positive he would have closed his eyes in pain at that one....

--------------------

Posts: 607 | From: Midwest | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 205.188.200.51
Naisra'len

Member # 134

posted 10-11-2001 06:05 PM     Profile for Naisra'len   Author's Homepage   Email Naisra'len     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I grinned with pleasure. Not only was...Yaoksi's...face looking a lot better, so was his attitude. "Maybe I will spin a tale or two at that. But let me toss together some dinner before we get started on my sad history." I flicked on the holoproj as I moved into the kitchen. "You two just sit tight. I won't take too long."

Opening the pantry, I quickly scanned its contents and tried to figure out which dishes would be acceptable to all three members of our strange trio. Crimson skies, I hope I don't burn this! Finally, I settled on a packaged Corellian risotto mix, a couple of traladon steaks, and a green salad for good measure. Simple but tasty.

I warmed up the frying pan and washed the greens, singing a Rylothean folksong as I worked. Music always seems to make the time pass faster. I peeked over my shoulder and found Yaoksi staring at me. "What, am I that off-key?" He turned back to the holodrama he was watching as fast as possible.

Anyway, dinner was finished pretty quickly, and I put the hot dishes on my rickety kitchen table. "Come and get it!" I called. Yaoksi and K'kihl sat with care on the battered chairs and dug heartily into their food.

I watched with some interest before I started on my own meal. I had no idea what a Verpine ate, but K'khil seemed to enjoy the steak and salad, even though he didn't eat much. Yaoksi, on the other hand, was cramming food into his ravaged face like a smashball player beefing up for the Galactic Series. "I'm glad you enjoy it," I said with pardonable pride.

He looked at me, his mouth full, and nodded in gratitude. A smile crept across my face as our eyes locked. Where has this guy been all my life? If he wasn't so roughed up, he'd be quite a dish. Reluctantly, I tore my eyes away from his face and started on my own dinner.

"How did I get here?" I sighed and draped a lek over one shoulder. "Long story. Let's just say I tried to go into business for myself and I ran into a...streak of bad luck." Actually, it was an asteroid. "And now, I have some...former friends...after my head-tails. I called in a few favors, tried to lie low, and here I am."

I took a deep breath. "As for you helping me...I'd rather hear your story first."

[ 10-11-2001 06:06 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Naisra'len ]

Posts: 37 | From: see Rogue Angel | Registered: Sep 2001  |  Logged: 172.144.39.82
Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 10-11-2001 07:28 PM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I took another bite of my traladon steak, and chewed thoughtfully. To my immediate right, the Verpine raised a utensil-full of the risotto and tilted his head as though debating to himself whether or not the food was edible. I held back the grin which was threatening, and turned my thoughts back to what the Twi'lek... Naisra'len ...had just finished saying.

Hmmm, so she's lying low, ey? I couldn't keep my eyes from straying once again to the twin tattooes she bore on her arm. For a moment or two I fixated upon them, as though seeking a resolution to a yet unspoken problem. My concentration was broken a bit as a niggling little warning broke through it; with a start, I realized she was staring at me, a blend of curiosity and... yeah, that was definitely hope... planted on her face. I saw a wealth of emotion and questions flash through her eyes before I jerked my gaze back to my dinner.

I cast another quick glance toward K'kihl, who by now had apparently reached the conclusion that the risotto reminded him too much of his larval cousins. Even as I watched he laid the spoon aside with a motion that was almost reverent. Then he turned back to his steak, which he began to tear with his mandibles, utterly ignoring me.

I remembered how he had called the bounty hunter "Boss." Ok, I conceded. He might come off to others as being a "partner," but I guess I'm sorta his new boss now.... I sighed with the added realization that whatever direction the two of us... yeah, now the two of us! ...would travel in would be strictly up to me. Until he called in the promise I had given him, that is.

Guess this decision will be on my own then.

I gave myself a wry sort of smile as I realized where that thought was leading. Decided to face it squarely; with no further ado, I did so, effectively tuning out the Verpine and the Twi'lek altogether as I weighed the data I had already received.

Let's see... hmmm, Gunner's Guild tattoo; they just don't GIVE those away. Smuggler's Guild.... Unconsciously, I rubbed my own forearm, where an identical emblem revealed my own affiliation with that guild. EX-affiliation, I interrupted myself as a reminder. Those guys want too great a percentage; not to mention they can get a touch wee... cranky... when you don't fork it over.

This thought brought back a flurry of memories I'd just as soon forget; surreptitiously, I shot my eyes over to Naisra'len once again. Sheesh, if she's on the outs with them, they'll NEVER stay off her head-tails until they either get their money, or her.

That realization brought another factor to the forefront. That bounty hunter. SURELY he wasn't here looking for her... was he?

I directed my attention back to my meal with a ferocity that surprised me. No way, ol' pirate! The vehemence of that thought surprised even me. You take on this lady, you take on trouble a-plenty...

...BUT.

Now I closed my eyes, sighing a bit to myself. Sheesh, there's always a "but..."

But... she was a member of the gunner's guild; Fates only knew that while I was extremely well versed, as well as highly accurate, with a variety of hand-weapons, my adroitness with ship's weaponry was a far cry from a Master's... let alone anyone associated with the Gunner's Guild. My best defense had always been to hotfoot it away from trouble as fast as Devil-May-Care could take me. I'd managed to live so far, which was a nice reflection on my piloting skills.

Not only was she a member of that elite guild... she was a good nurse, and a decent cook as well. Oh, all right, forget the latter; I can cook just as well; we can share that duty...

...WE? When did THAT pronoun raise its head and become known?

I suddenly pushed my plate away and straightened in the ricketty little chair, sighing in a parody of defeat. Finally raised my eyes to Naisra'len, who was sitting there quietly waiting for me to say something.

I opened my mouth, stammered something totally inane, then frowned in disgust.

There went her head-tails again....

"My story?" I finally managed. "Ahh- well, that's kind of a long one. I suppose I'd have more time to regale you with it onboard my ship... if you'd be so kind as to consider the offer I'm making you to crew with me."

Now it was my turn to push up my sleeve, revealing my own tattoo. "I'm not affiliated with them anymore, but I do call this my, er, 'line of work,' and I could always use a new hand. Especially one who's not afraid to 'walk the line,' so to speak; you're not the only one with ex-friends out there.

"What do you say, Nassy- ah, Nahzzrolee, ummm... Nais-ra-len?" I concluded, stumbling over the unfamiliar syllables of her name as I spoke them aloud for the first time.

From the vicinity of the Verpine there came the snorting sound of another raspberry....

[ 10-11-2001 07:37 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Yaoksi Joao ]

--------------------

Posts: 607 | From: Midwest | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 152.163.197.58
Naisra'len

Member # 134

posted 10-12-2001 04:32 PM     Profile for Naisra'len   Author's Homepage   Email Naisra'len     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I couldn't help myself, and a slightly ditzy giggle escaped my lips as I watched Yaoksi try to pronounce my name. "Don't worry about it. It takes most humans about two weeks to learn how to say it right. By the way, it's Rylothean for 'lightning', an auspicious name if I do say so myself."

I realized I was rambling and I needed to get back on track. Finally, the full import of the words he'd just spoken hit me. He WANTED me to CREW with him. I had a chance at getting off this slag-heap! I tried to restrain myself and act professional."

"Well," I said, making a show of considering Yaoksi's offer carefully, "I suppose I could use the work. And anything's better than working at the Blue Asteroid." And getting to know you would DEFINITELY be better.

He sighed with relief. I could tell the guy had really had a change of heart. I wondered what had brought it on. Maybe it really was the Force. I'd thought it would have taken something that big to change his course.

I rose from the table, amusedly watching his eyes drift down to my leg. Most humans and Twi'leks find each other mutually attractive, and I've had my share of relationships with humans. But this one was different, although I didn't quite know why. Maybe it's because he walks upright and chews with his mouth closed, I thought sarcastically.

"Well, if the two of you would give me a hand cleaning up, I'd be much obliged. And," I searched for a delicate way to put this, "I've got some cots if you two want to pad down here for the night."

My door is also never locked, interjected my shoulder-devil. I made it shut up.

I took the dishes off the table, and heard behind me the satifying sound of my guests putting their dishes in my beat-up sonic cleaner. It's so sweet when males can clean up after themselves.

Posts: 37 | From: see Rogue Angel | Registered: Sep 2001  |  Logged: 216.229.193.150
Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 10-13-2001 06:02 PM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
K'kihl clattered his way into the kitchen of this dreary little apartment, waving his plate in his claws. Busy as I was rinsing my own utensils... hmmm, now WHY on Kessel didn't I trust that sonic cleaner? ...I merely waved a dripping hand.

"Set 'er down over there, partner."

I couldn't help it. I chanced a quick glance toward the Verpine; I swear his eyes widened in innocence. Now I snorted, turning my attention back to the task at hand.

Might just as well lend a further hand here, I thought to myself as, placing my still wet hands on my hips I took in the little kitchen. It looked like the couch did before K'kihl had carefully removed the newsflimsies and whatnot that had taken semi-permanent residence there. I sighed.

"I know what you're thinking," I said in a low voice as I turned my back to K'kihl and began scrubbing the countertop. "You don't even have to go there."

He obligingly ignored my preemtive remark. "Pretty lady," he chattered back, the very epitome of guilessness. "After you, is this one. Thinking I am, that care you must be taking, Boss Yaoksi."

I whirled at that, a finger raised to his mandibles. "I said don't go--" I began, then interrupted myself, blinking. K'kihl hadn't mentioned one tender syllable concerning the possible problems I might have coming in the acceptance of not one, but two untried crewmembers... me, Yaoksi Joao, who up until this point had been happy as a lil ol aggee with wings running the field as a Lone Nek.

I blinked again. I opened my mouth, then let it hang there. To be honest, I didn't know what to say. Verpines didn't get to be the mechanical and technological wonders that they did by being unobservant; guess K'kihl's large, faceted peepers had seen something I had been blithely overlooking since we had first crossed paths with this Twi'lek.

Suddenly realizing that the Verpine was scrutinizing my back molars, I turned back to the counter. "Yeah, well, so what if she is?" I tossed back a bit fiercely. "I can handle myself around females; it's my specialty."

Once more I turned to face the Verpine, the old smug smile hauled out of cold storage and planted firmly on my face.

He looked at me in clear disbelief. I sighed a little, letting the bravado drop. Can't say as I blame him, what with the fact that I didn't believe it either. Considering what I had just gone through....

How in Kessel did that bipedal cricket sense that? I wondered. Then I forced my thoughts away from the topic at hand, which admittedly was starting to become a touch wee uncomfortable.

"Look, pal," I began again. "The fact remains that she's better with ship's ordnance than I am. I can handle blasters and casters and such, but anything larger sends me running for cover. I just think she's gonna come in handy... once we figure out exactly what it is we're gonna do, and where we're gonna go.

"As for her somehow being attracted to me... well, I'm still the Captain of Devil-May-Care. I'm a professional; have to be removed from the crew and all that kind of thing, right ol' cricket?"

I smiled and gave his shoulder... or at least, that portion of his anatomy which approximates a human shoulder ...a lighthearted punch with my fist. Immediately withdrew it, shaking it and turning to place it under running water.

Damn his carapace....

Behind me, the Verpine made that annoying chittery sort of snort again. "Watching over the ship will I be," he commented lightly. "And will I its Captain also watching be. Let you know, will I, when in danger from advancing female you are." He departed with those words, the dishtowel I flung barely missing his retreating form.

--------------------

Posts: 607 | From: Midwest | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 205.188.200.43
Naisra'len

Member # 134

posted 10-13-2001 09:01 PM     Profile for Naisra'len   Author's Homepage   Email Naisra'len     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Shoving a couple of overdue bills from the Rimworld Credit Union into a drawer in a pathetic attempt to tidy up my kitchen, I peeked over my shoulder. The clanking I'd heard hadn't been the "boys" putting their dishes in the sonic cleaner after all. No, indeed, it was better. Yaoksi was actually washing his dinner dishes by hand. I grinned to myself.

My grin grew wider when I heard a snatch of the conversation--no, the lecture--K'kihl was giving Yaoksi. "After you, is this one. Thinking I am, that care you must be taking, Boss Yaoksi." Yaoksi's reply was inaudible. The Verpine was both perceptive and protective, and my regard for him rose several notches. I made a mental note not to get on his bad side.

The question was, now that dinner was done, what was I to do? I sneaked into my back room and set out a pair of cots for my guests. "Property of Imperial Armed Forces" was clearly stamped on the bottom of them. I'd won them from a retired stormtrooper in a weird game of sabacc, and they'd served me well over the years...

When I came back into the kitchen, I caught a glimpse of Yaoksi flinging one of my greasy dishtowels at K'kihl. I had to work to stifle a giggle. "Anybody up for a glass of Whyren's Reserve?" I was too poor to keep the real thing around, but I had some stuff that usually passed for it.

Before Yaoksi could reply, there was a sharp knock at the door. I grabbed my blaster off the counter and sweetly called, "Coming"!

As I had suspected, it was another one of those jerks from the collection agency, a Rodian this time. I held the door half open so he wouldn't stink up the apartment. "Naisra'len, you owe money to the wrong people. I'm here to fix that," he gargled. Uncreative line, it was.

I smiled seductively and stuck out my chest. Rodians usually fell for those childish tactics. "Why don't you just let me go and get it? I'll be just a--"

Mid-sentence, I flung the door open and shot the Rodian directly in the chest. Dirty, but he was an idiot to try to get me at home. He dribbled a little, then was silent. Hastily, I shoved the body into the space between my building and the next. Nobody would even be looking for the guy.

Returning to the apartment, I noticed Yaoksi staring at me. I shrugged and decided to play it cool. "Yeah, it's a quiet evening. I usually get three or so of those guys a night. Thankfully, they're all as stupid as the Rodian. That Whyren's Reserve still sound good to ya?

Posts: 37 | From: see Rogue Angel | Registered: Sep 2001  |  Logged: 172.146.82.64
Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 10-15-2001 11:55 AM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
A veritable plethora of protests and emotions raged through me, freezing me into incredulity at Naisra'len's casually brutal act. Then--

"KESSEL!" The epitaph shot from my lips as I shot to the door, unheedingly knocking the Twi'lek to the side as I rushed out of her little apartment to the ricketty fire escape landing just without. The momentum of my charge brought me to a slamming halt against the rusty railing which ran about its perimeter. I leaned over, my eyes frantically searching the shadowy grounds below.

There... sticking out a bit from the little alley next to Naisra'len's apartment was a feebly twitching foot. I turned and tore down the stairs as though my own feet were winged, and soon found myself beside the hapless bill collector.

Quietly, I knelt down and laid gentle hands upon him, wincing to see the damage he had received. His hand and snout waved weakly as he tried to speak. With a sudden burst of fading strength, he reached out and latched his suctioned fingers upon my arm. Then, before he could say anything in particular, his body gave a final racking shudder and he died.

I sighed, sitting back on my heels, and for a moment just stared at the Rodian. Emotions and concerns still raged through my own system as I sat there, watching his brilliant green skin tone gradually fade to the icy mint that these guys do in death. Exhaling through my pursed lips, I climbed to my feet, reached out with one foot to shove the body more deeply into the shadows of the alley, not caring to inspect those depths too closely. Finally satisfied that the Rodian would not be seen anytime too soon, I grimly turned around.

K'kihl was standing smack behind me, the tube of bacta tincture held in his claws like some ridiculous afterthought. His large black eyes studied me for a moment; then he seemed to shrug.

"A Rodian, this one is," he chattered, nodding his head toward the alley. "And a Twi'lek, only is she."

I frowned at him; then pushed past him and headed back up the stairs. My muttered, "Yeah, well..." didn't accomplish much other than simply make noise as I took the stairs four at a time. In no time I was back at the apartment, bursting inside. Naisra'len stood where I left her, a bottle of Whyren's Reserve wannabe clutched in one hand.

Although her head-tails were twitching like mad, she didn't say a word. I didn't let her; I had plenty to say.

"What IS it with you, lady?!" I hollered the moment I entered her apartment. "I mean, what in the name of all the Fates are you trying to prove to me? That you're tough? That you can handle yourself? That you're good with a blaster?

"Kessel, I'M good with a blaster...and I know when to use it!"

I was really worked up now. For a moment my speech snapped itself off as anger rose up within me, hot and righteous. I waved my arms in the attempt to articulate the myriad words that were struggling, like a panicked mob striving to leave a cantina all at once, to depart my lips all at the same time. I waved my hands again.

K'kihl's steadying claw on my shoulder abruptly realigned my roiling thoughts. I found I could speak again. This time, the tone of my voice was quieter.

"Look," I began. "I don't know what prompted- that -but lady, what you just did was wrong. I mean, the guy hadn't even drawn on you, and you just up and blasted him six ways from sundown! Even a Hutt doesn't deserve that kind of treatment!"

I quieted even more, placing my hands on my hips now as I considered this Twi'lek before me. Her eyes had grown huge in her face, and her lekku were doing the Tattooine Tango all about her face. Clearly evident upon that face was a war of hopes being shattered, of defensive anger, and...something else.

I strove to ignore that something else. Taking another deep breath, I turned to the Verpine.

"C'mon, K'kihl. I think it's time I showed you the ship's systems. We can bunk aboard Devil-May-Care. And me... well, I have some serious thinking to do here. A good shot is something we definitely could use... but this kind of loose cannon is what usually ends up sinking ships."

At the doorway to her apartment, I turned to face her. "Thanks for your help and hospitality," I stammered, acutely aware of how shallow the words sounded. Then, a clattering Verpine in tow, I departed, and we were soon on our way to Dalius City's Central Docking Port, blending ourselves into the crowd that bustled along its way on the walkways we paced, each hurrying individual lost in his or her own personal oblivion.

The same oblivion into which I heartily wished I could cast the look I had seen in the dying Rodian's eyes.

[ 10-15-2001 04:35 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Yaoksi Joao ]

--------------------

Posts: 607 | From: Midwest | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 205.188.192.41
Naisra'len

Member # 134

posted 10-16-2001 03:57 PM     Profile for Naisra'len   Author's Homepage   Email Naisra'len     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I stared after me in amazement, trying to reconcile my view of Yaoksi's back with the turmoil going on in my mind. Like a shot, I was after him, speeding down the street. He was within my reach in minutes, and I grabbed him, yanking him by the arm to face me. He was looking at me as one would look at a pile of bantha dung; I ignored that.

"Who are you to judge me?" I spat. "What kind of self-centered, self-righteous High-and-Mighty ARE YOU?" I didn't give him a chance to get a word in edgewise; I simply let loose whatever came to mind, as he had done to me.

"Believe me, that guy would've killed me if he'd had the chance. Don't you think I've faced down enough assassins to know when I'm threatened? How dare you pass judgement on me for trying to preserve my life? I doubt even you would stand down when your life's in danger, as angelic as you apparently are. And you're apparently arrogant enough to think I would kill someone to impress you!"

I trembled with anger. "I helped you because I was trying to redeem myself. To prove that I could do something good. To try to turn this sordid life of mine around. And I don't regret it, not one bit. You've shown me how far I have to go."

I let go of his arm. "If I'm worthy enough to remind you of it, it was you who asked me to accompany you. I didn't make a single offer. You needed ME. And I certainly don't need an ever-so-gallant Jedi Knight on my back all the time." His eyes widened with an indecipherable expression, and my voice dropped unexpectedly to a whisper. "Just somebody who understands this life."

I turned back, not even wanting to see that damned look on Yaoksi's face.

Posts: 37 | From: see Rogue Angel | Registered: Sep 2001  |  Logged: 216.229.193.150
Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 10-16-2001 06:34 PM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I couldn't help my eyes widening at the diatribe this Twi'lek was leveling at me. And they weren't doing so purely out of surprise. As word by seemingly unthinking word shot from her lips, I felt a corresponding heat rise up inside me. Flooding me, flaming through until it was finally too much to bear in silence any longer. Even K'kihl's steadying claw on my shoulder couldn't stop the retort that flew from my own mouth.

"Who do I think I am?" I sputtered, beside myself. "Who do I think I am?!?" Now it was my turn to quickly close the distance between us. I shot out a hand and, gripping her by her upper arm, simultaneously stopped her in her tracks and spun her about to face me. "Listen lady, I'm sorry if I'm not LOW ENOUGH to meet your standards, but I AIN'T NO SITHSPAWNING JEDI, EITHER!

"What I am and who I am is a person who has lived lifetimes in one, as have many. I have my share of enemies in this Galaxy... as well as friends. I do my best to get along, as do most, in any way I can. And, believe it or not, I really try to do it in a manner where nobody gets hurt!

"BUT... if there's any hurting to be done, I'm damned well certain that it's the other guy who starts it... and shows me proof positive that he deserves retaliation on my part! Especially if that retaliation involves the use of deadly force! Ya just don't live long in the long run, if ya keep on reacting explosively in one particular moment after another! And that's what I understand about this life!"

Here I paused for a deep breath, literally shaking with barely restrained anger. The hand holding Naisra'len removed itself and flew of its own accord to the grip of my blaster, as though seeking some kind of crazy way to siphon off my growing rage. My knuckles whitened as I grasped it, finger hovering close to the trigger, and I tensed. I scarcely felt it when K'kihl raised his other clawed appendage to mirror its companion on my other shoulder.

"Boss Yaoksi," he chittered quietly. "Maybe no proof here is, I am thinking." He silenced before the glare I shot him, but refused to drop either one of his claws from me. Before me, Naisra'len stood silent, her lekku for once laying still as vines entwined around her shoulders.

I ignored the look swimming in her dark eyes just as I ignored the bustling crowd which was breaking around us, giving our little group a wide berth. Lifting my hand from the blaster, I stuck a finger in her face. "And may I remind you, missy, that I do not NEED you, as you stated. I would have liked to have you join us; there's a galaxy of difference between the two, or is that something else your own special brand of arrogance has managed to overlook? You may be whizbang with weapons... but I got along just fine, thank you, before we ever met."

Now I literally backed away a step or two from her, pinning her eyes with my own. I'll give the lady credit for not dropping her gaze. I'm sure the look on my face would have melted Hoth.

K'ihl's claws dropped from me as he sensed me winding down. Delicately, the Verpine moved in synch with me, backing himself and then halting, waiting. I didn't let him wait long.

'C'mon, buddy," I said in a much quieter tone of voice. "Let's get to my ship. If what just happened is any indication of what our life might be like with this lady a part of it, well... she's too hot a commodity to have hanging around. This is the kind of cargo I usually dump first chance I get... or forego entirely."

Not to mention that if we remained in the kind of proximity people do on a ship, even one the size of Devil-May-Care, one of us would no doubt end up killing the other....

So why for all the spice on Kessel was I still standing where I was, still glaring at Naisra'len , and completely ignoring the Verpine's insistent tugs to get me moving?

[ 10-16-2001 06:40 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Yaoksi Joao ]

--------------------

Posts: 607 | From: Midwest | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 152.163.207.201
Naisra'len

Member # 134

posted 10-17-2001 08:02 PM     Profile for Naisra'len   Author's Homepage   Email Naisra'len     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Shame followed in the wake of fury, threatening to overpower me. I steeled myself to keep looking at Yaoksi, knowing that every word he said was right. That I was scum. I forced myself to face up to that. I didn't know what to say as he stood there glaring at me.

"Goodbye." The word dropped from my lips, heavy as a stone.

Finally, I simply turned around and disappeared into the crowd, removing myself from Yaoksi's life as hastily as I had come. My eyes were fixed directly ahead of me, and I tried to remember where the nearest cantina was. I had a sudden overpowering need to drown myself in cheap liquor.

Posts: 37 | From: see Rogue Angel | Registered: Sep 2001  |  Logged: 172.155.41.188
Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 10-18-2001 10:44 AM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I lay on my bunk aboard Devil-May-Care, my hands laced behind my head as I scowled into the blackness of my quarters. All was absolutely silent save for the soft pounding of the blood in my ears, and the occasional p'clink! as back in the aft section a happy K'kihl was acquainting himself with the heart and soul of my corvette. That sound was something I was unaccustomed to hearing; as yet another muted metallic clang wafted to me from the distance my scowl deepened somewhat.

Then again, maybe it wasn't entirely due to the Verpine's ministrations as he lent himself to the daunting task of repairing the hyperdrive motivator....

I threw myself onto my side, my eyes focusing on nothing in particular as my thoughts dove inward. You ought to just go off and get your brain yanked out and join the Bomarr monks! I berated myself, perhaps with a touch of undue harshness. The luck you've been having with females, in one way or another, sure hasn't been up to your old standards! Maybe I'm losing my touch?

I sat up at the thought, sighing a bit, then got to my feet. No use trying to sleep now, I continued to myself as I switched on the light and padded barefoot to where I had flung my boots only a short while ago. Yanking them on, I ran a hand through my hair and headed out of my quarters.

Guess I'll go see what the ol insect is up to....

As I prowled aft, I couldn't keep thoughts of that Twi'lek from my mind. Dammit Yaoksi, what is it with her? Why are you so preoccupied with her? OK, so she's a great shot, and you haven't touched any of your laser cannons since you had them installed... BUT. She's hot-headed and impulsive and no doubt has a string of hunters and Kessel knows who else hunting her down. THAT'S another cannon definitely in need of battening down. BUT...!

I scowled again as these thoughts pressed through my mind, unconsciously rubbing the tattoo of the Smuggler's Guild which yet graced my forearm. I had often thought of having it erased via a synflesh graft, but had then decided that it would be better to leave it there. A constant reminder of days gone past, events long unfolded... as well as one pertinent to a future which most positively should NOT involve these guys ever, ever again.

I came to an abrupt halt as a sudden realization hit me. Maybe that's why I can't get that waitress out of my head. Maybe it's because we're BOTH smugglers and both of us are on the outs with the Guild. There aren't too many peeps in that particular predicament free-roaming the Galaxy. Kessel knows the Guild has a habit of tidying up any loose strings it might find itself encumbered with; I was lucky to have gotten away in a manner which cleared my name with them... not to mention my bank account. Here was another apparent ex-Guild member who, if that wonderful institution had any say in the matter, was destined to end her life as yet another string in their shadowy ball of yarn.

Although she's managed to stay alive this far. Gotta give her credit for that.

Pursing my lips, I headed on aft, although to be honest I really didn't feel a need to supervise K'kihl's activities. The complete and utter delight and anticipation which began oozing from his carapace at the sight of Devil-May-Care was enough to persuade me as to his integrity. I knew she was in good hands... er, claws rather, and that she would be whipped into 200% efficiency as a result of his tender ministrations.

Suddenly changing banthas in mid-stream, I veered away from the main corridor and headed down an offshoot. At the end was a small observation deck, complete with viewport and caf-generator. I headed straight to the simple device, and soon had a cup in my hands. Then I settled myself in the observation lounge and stared at the closed port, trying to imagine a view of the stars streaming past.

Strange how those imagined streamers persisted in segueing into the similarly streaming vision of twin lekku....

--------------------

Posts: 607 | From: Midwest | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 152.163.195.207
Naisra'len

Member # 134

posted 10-18-2001 06:54 PM     Profile for Naisra'len   Author's Homepage   Email Naisra'len     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I was seated at the bar of some cantina--I wasn't even sure of its name, but it was a real dive. A good place for scum, eh, sister? jibed my sarcastic inner voice. I tried to drown it in another glass of Triple Thruster and called the waitdroid over. "Hey, droid! Fix this glass, it's empty."

The droid rolled over, quietly complied with my request. I didn't care how much money I spent tonight. I just needed to kill all the brain cells that retained the memory of my encounter with Yaoksi. Funny, Triple Thruster wasn't doing the trick tonight. Maybe some Poonba shots would take care of it. I ordered one as quickly as I could. Nope, Poonba shots didn't work. I stopped to think before I was too drunk to do so.

Naisra'len, your clan would disown you did they see you now. You weren't raised this way. Maybe it's time to make a new life, get back on the straight and narrow. I considered that proposition gladly. Ironically, I'd never be able to get legit under my real name--I'd have to use one of my false identities.

But that, I promised myself, would be the last concession I made to the outlaw life. I was going to get out of the game before it ate up what little morals I had left. I resolved to go looking for work with some freight company tomorrow. Surely they'd need an experienced hand.

All that legit stuff could start tomorrow, though. I still remembered Yaoksi's burning words. One last Triple Thruster ought to do the trick...

Posts: 37 | From: see Rogue Angel | Registered: Sep 2001  |  Logged: 172.145.52.125
Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 10-22-2001 07:27 PM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
As the eighty-eighth image of coiling lekku writhed in seductive imagery across the plating of the observation shutters I finally gave up trying to supplant them with stars. On the eighty-ninth I sighed, and hunkered more deeply into my seat, scowling into my cold caf. The ninetieth time those imagined lekku waved their slender tendrils at me, I threw my cup at them, caf and all. It splattered against the bulkhead, leaving great dripping streaks that reminded me further of nothing so much as...

I sighed again. Face it, Yaoksi, I berated myself. You have unfinished business to attend to. As much as you might not like it, you OWE Naisra'len at least a modicum of an apology for her helping you. She didn't have to take you and your new buddy under her wing, fix you up, feed you... She could have walked right on past, especially after how you treated her in the "Blue Asteroid." But she didn't; she showed enough common courtesy to ignore how you brushed her off like so much bantha poo-doo, and did her best to welcome you into her home.

Such as it was....

I shifted in my seat, glowering at the cooling but still dripping caf as I tried to place my finger on just exactly what it was that was prompting me to feel like such a heel. There really wasn't any good reason; the lady really had kinda jumped the trigger there back in her apartment, and I had every reason myself to climb onto the glory-bound bandwagon and lecture her about the fragility and importance of life, no matter how nasty that life was. Not only was it dangerous to go about leaving a trail of bodies wherever one went; killing people willy-nilly just wasn't the right thing to do.

I scrunched lower, my glower deepening to where the bulkhead threatened to begin dripping along with the caf. That obnoxious little shoulder-angel took that opportunity to wave it's tiny little wings for attention, and then began a lecture of its own. I hunkered lower yet; it refused to go away and leave me alone.

Naisra'len was right, wasn't she? About your own morality; since when did you become so high and mighty yourself as to suggest you are above all reproach? When did this wondrous epiphany hit you between the eyes, and make you the Guardian of Truth and Justice and the Galactic Way of Life? What gave you the right to blow up as you did in Nassy's face like you did, nevermind if she was right or wrong in what she did? When indeed did you turn into a Jedi, Yaoksi?

Jedi.

I gulped, and untangled myself from the knot I had managed to twine myself into. Ran my hand over my mouth, and rested it there, my elbow propped upon my raised knee as the thought struck me like a ton of duracrete. No getting away from it; might as well take the rancor by the talons. You feel that in letting Naisra'len down, you are letting Cella down as well. It really doesn't matter that you'll probably never see her again the rest of your life; the fact remains that in the brief period you were with her you discovered that part of yourself you had forgotten about, the real Yaoksi, who has been buried away for far too long a time. That's the heart and soul of it all, isn't it? Well... maybe not quite all of it. The truth is that in letting Nassy down, you're letting YOURSELF down as well. And THAT is a truth that hurts....

"Yeah, it does," I whispered into the uncaring ears of the observation room; then in one smooth motion I gained my feet. In two strides I was at the ship's intercom; I slammed it into shipwide transmission and called out to K'kihl before I could try to talk myself out of it.

"Hey Cricket!" I tried to smile, failing miserably. "I've got something to attend to; I'm going dirtside for a bit. Man the hatches, and don't leave without me."

The chittering clatter of his amusement came across loud and clear; with another scowl I slammed off the 'com and marched out of the room. Soon I found myself on the creted surface of the Docking Port, heading back to the bustling heart of Dalius City. I gave my chrono a glance; hmmm, it wasn't that late yet. Maybe she was still up...

Shortly thereafter I found myself at the foot of the ricketty excuse of a fire escape she had to tread day after day to reach the dive of an apartment in which she lived. A surprising flash of anger boiled through me as I thought of her living conditions; whoever her landlord was, he ought to be shot! I thought fiercely. Buoyed by a ridiculous anger, this in turn a means in which all the emotions roiling within me over the past hours could find surcease, I took the stairs four at a time. Came to a halt in front of her door; raised my hand to knock...

...and was taken almost completely off-guard when it slowly creaked open.

My body immediately spun into preservation mode. I crouched, every sense alert, my eyes striving to see in every direction at once, my blaster suddenly nestled in my hand. I raised it in absolute silence, placed its tip against the door and slowly pushed it open. Peered inside.

I remembered her apartment as being a tad bit on the cluttered side, but nothing like the disaster which met my eyes. Everything she owned was either ripped or slashed or broken; the walls bore large and gaping places where someone had holed them; the remnants of our evening meal...was it only this last night that we shared that meal?...had been splattered over the floor and furniture. Drawers hung crooked, the cheap paintings on the walls were akew. That someone was looking for something suddenly became, quite laughably, the biggest understatement I had ever thought of.

Hot on the heels of that thought came a chillingly sober one. I hope that something didn't include her....

Gritting my teeth, I oozed into the room, every hair on my body at attention as if to sense whatever mystical aura the intruder might extrude. I froze, ears on over-drive. Nothing.

Slowly then, I crept forward, peeping now into the little kitchenette, now into the 'fresher facility. Only three short steps from there the hall abruptly truncated at a closed door; holding my breath, I lightly palmed the entrance pad and practically willed it to open. It hesitated a bit, then obligingly yawned wide...

...to reveal a startled and hopping mad Rodian standing frozen in mid-stride, caught in the act of preparing to exit.

I stared at him. He glared at me. Both our hands flashed to our blasters; I'll give myself credit in that I let him fire first. Coherent light flashed forth from his barrel as he ionized the air where I no longer was standing; I was too busy rolling and aiming from five feet off to his left to take the time to congratulate myself. In something of a non-sequiteur, the smug, "This is what I meant, Nass!" blazed through my mind as my own blaster came to life and fried the Rodian's feeble little brain, right between his eyes. He dropped like a stone.

Panting, I leapt to my feet, my blaster leading the way as I burst into Naisra'len's bedroom. "Nassy! I hollered at the top of my lungs.

No answer. Clenching my teeth, my adrenalin running topspeed, I tore through her bedroom, and then through her entire little apartment again. No Nassy. And, thank the Maker, no more Rodians, either.

For a moment I paused, glancing around at the havoc about me. Havoc now augmented by the addition of the Rodian's body. Well, it doesn't matter! I told myself fiercely. She's not gonna have to come back to this hell-hole. When I find her, she's coming with me if I have to rope and worrt-tie her and carry her over my shoulder!

With that thought leading the way I burst out of her apartment and onto the little fire escape. The lights of Dalius City glimmered like a million stars that had fallen to earth. For a moment I hesitated; Kessel, but where am I gonna find her?

Then I drew in a great breath of determination, and went to search the streets for a lady Twi'lek who could shoot a decicred in freefall half a click away. Not to mention what she could do to a Rodian....

[ 10-22-2001 07:41 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Yaoksi Joao ]

--------------------

Posts: 607 | From: Midwest | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 205.188.192.44
Naisra'len

Member # 134

posted 10-22-2001 07:44 PM     Profile for Naisra'len   Author's Homepage   Email Naisra'len     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The corpulent Devaronian behind the rickety desk belched at me with supreme disinterest. "Sorry, not hiring."

I stared at him in disbelief. "How can you not be hiring in your line of work? I know this business, and good hands on a freighter are always in short supply!"

"Business bad," remarked the Devaronian, and belched again. "Sub-Nebula's profits down last quarter. I could always use pretty personal assistant, though." His beady eyes roved up and down my body despite the baggy, grungy jumpsuit I wore.

I gritted my teeth and resisted the urge to hurt him. "Sorry, not interested." With that, I stalked out of Sub-Nebula Shipping's grimy Dalis City branch.

Four major freight companies and none of them are looking for hands? This must be some recession, I thought glumly as I pounded the grimy pavement all by my lonesome. At least my ID's good, but it's useless if there aren't jobs to be had. Huh, never thought it would be this hard to get legit.

As I walked out of the mouth of an alley, lost in thought, my amazed eyes suddenly fixed upon a very familiar human smuggler walking the street...

Yaoksi Joao. The reason I was out job-hunting and not passed out drunk in my apartment. I wasn't sure whether I wanted him to catch sight of me or not, considering the nature of our last conversation...

I held my breath, and paused for a long moment.

Posts: 37 | From: see Rogue Angel | Registered: Sep 2001  |  Logged: 172.141.78.26
Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 10-23-2001 12:30 AM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I stood on the duracrete walkway outside about the forty-seventh establishment I had investigated, blinking blearily into the brightening light of the Dalius City morning. Stifling a yawn, I gave my chrono a quick glance. Kessel! Was it that late already? Where had the night gone?

Where indeed. Fates only knew that if my feet could talk, they would solemnly attest to the fact that at least three entire cycles simply had to have passed for all the abuse they had undertaken; I felt I must have walked to every bleemin' dive and hellhole in the entire quadrant.

And no Twi'lek.

Oh now, let me amend that statement. Twi'leks I had encountered, and in plenty. Seemed like this particular neighborhood was the, ahh... seamier side of Dalius City, and filled with enough lovely Twi'lek lasses to keep even a prime male Faleen hopping. One after another they had sidled and sashayed and slinked up to me, waving their collective lekku and blinking their seductive eyes and whispering entertaining promises in their sultry voices.

But not a one could shoot a blaster worth squat, let alone nurse a wound or stand up to my scathing and unthinking anger.

I yawned again, and turned away with a sigh. From the Blue Asteroid where I had begun my search (much to the dismay of the Gotal owner, whose feigned interest in me rapidly turned to wholehearted disgust when I informed him all I wanted was his ex-waitress)~ to the... I turned to read the shabby sign above and behind me. Solar Synch--The Hottest Place in Town! it proudly over-represented itself to whoever cared to read it. Which probably accounted for the fact that it was nearly deserted....

Anyway, I had spent the night trudging from the first establishment to the last, seeking Nassy. No luck. I even sneaked back to her apartment on the off chance that she had returned there. Nope: the place was still as much the rat's nest that I had left it, complete with a minty-green and very much dead Rodian, whose face still bore a very surprised expression. But no Nassy.

I blew a breath out between my lips, and ran a hand through my hair. Face it, Yaoksi, you lost her. You tried, Kessel knows you tried, but she's gone. Probably for the best....

Stifling another yawn, I turned from the Solar Synch and started heading back toward the Central Docking Port. My eyes unseeing, I let my feet carry me of their own accord as I yet mulled over every probable location I could think of where I might find her. Before I knew it, I had left the portion of the city that catered to spacers' every whim, and found myself closing in on that containing the docking ports. Seamy dive after seamier one gradually gave way to grungy shipping companies. Nothing I hadn't seen before in my life; I just kept on walking and mulling.

And then I saw her, just up the walkway a short distance from me, exiting the grimy doors of the Sub-Nebula Shipping Corporation. She took a couple steps out into the ever-present crowd, a dark scowl blackening her face, and paused as though trying to figure out exactly what her next move would be.

She turned my way... took a couple steps... raised her head to give her lekku a flippant little toss... and our eyes met and we both froze in mid-step.

She looked as graceful as an ikopi, frozen in headlights. I felt like a stumbling old Gandy-Rak in a similar situation. For a long moment I just stood there, growing more and more aware of the fact that I was actually beginning to be afraid that she would turn and run from me.

Then that fear evaporated, and carried with it whatever arbitrary anger that might yet be lingering. I held up a finger I had banged in the doorway of one of the establishments I had tramped out of in disgust, trying to plant the most endearing and lopsided smile I could muster on my face.

"Well, fancy meeting you here," I said in my rich baritone. "What a coincidence. I could use a good nurse."

I then fell silent, words trying to burst from between my lips with apologies and the startling information that someone was still hot on her trail, and that I really wanted nothing more than to be the one to take her away from this dive of a city and give her the chance to be the best gunner she could be on my ship.

But those words failed me, and all I could do was just stand there, lopsided grin in place, finger in the air, and hope that she'd give our somewhat stormy relationship a chance to begin anew.

[ 10-23-2001 05:05 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Yaoksi Joao ]

--------------------

Posts: 607 | From: Midwest | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 64.12.102.169
Naisra'len

Member # 134

posted 10-24-2001 06:04 PM     Profile for Naisra'len   Author's Homepage   Email Naisra'len     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Finally, I broke the awkward silence. "We have got to stop meeting like this," I laughed haltingly. Taking a deep breath, I swiftly closed the distance between us. If only I could close the emotional distance as deftly...

Daintily, I took Yaoksi's finger in my hand and inspected it closely. "Painful, yes, but nothing I couldn't take care of." Unwillingly, I met his eyes, and I stepped back. I had a small confession to make.

"Yaoksi, I'm sorry about what happened when you left." I sighed. "You were right. You forced me to realize that I'd been living with death at my back too long, that it was getting too easy for me to kill. That's not how it used to be. I was..." I blushed. "I was trying to find some work with a freighter company, but no luck."

"But what am I standing here babbling for? Let's go back to my apartment and get that finger fixed up."

The pained look on Yaoksi's face was puzzling. He opened his mouth to speak several times, but no words came out.

I was suddenly sick. "What's wrong?" Even before he told me, I thought I might already know. There was no getting away from the Smuggler's Guild...or from Black Sun.

[ 10-26-2001 05:57 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Naisra'len ]

Posts: 37 | From: see Rogue Angel | Registered: Sep 2001  |  Logged: 172.133.33.138
Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 10-26-2001 06:35 PM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
For a moment I mistook the look on Nassy's face as being produced by her possibly deciding not to join me. I didn't let a smidge of the consternation about that little detail reach my face, however. Instead I let my lopsided grin broaden into a wide, and totally heartfelt, smile and reached out to grasp Nassy's two hands in my own. They lay in my grip, smooth and cool as the barrel of my blaster, and surprisingly as comfortable.

"I'm glad you didn't have any luck with the freighting companies," I murmured, giving her hands a little squeeze. Then I sobered as her words finally sunk into my admittedly sometimes thick skull. I pursed my lips, squeezed her hands again, and held them.

"You- you're not the only one to apologize, Naisra'len," I said, the tone of my voice suddenly soft. "I was every bit to blame myself. There was absolutely no excuse for my jumping all over you the way I did; you're right, you know. While I try to avoid whatever trouble that might be trying to catch me, I'm clearly no saint. I've played too many rounds of sabaac in my life. There's a time to hold, a time to fold... and a time to go get a new deck of cards. I've 'retrieved a few decks' of my own in my life... in fact, I uh- just got finished with a quickie game of 78-card pickup back at your place. I don't think you'll want to return there."

Even though her eyes widened at that cryptic statement, they somehow indicated that she was not entirely ignorant as to what had probably occurred there during my recent encounter. But I went ahead and shed all the details anyway. I was correct in my assessment of her...smart gal! Her eyes widened no further as my quick explanation ran to its end. For a brief moment we just stood there on the walkway, our hands clasped, searching for something in each others' eyes. I finally broke the silence when I had the niggling suspicion that the crowd wasn't giving us quite the berth it had been. In fact, my inner warning system was beginning an insidious waving of arms, trying to inform me that perhaps we were under scrutiny.

No use hanging about to find out the hard way.

I gave her hands a final squeeze, then released them and planted them on my hips. "Now it's my turn to offer you food and shelter. Shall we retire to my ship?" I offered with a gallant wave of my hand.

Nassy merely smiled. Kessel, I never knew her eyes could sparkle like that! Must have been the bad lighting in that former dive of hers....

Former? For a moment I paused to reflect on the adjective, blinking with the realization that it had simply rolled off my inner tongue in a manner that was completely natural and even welcomed. Now I smiled again, and stuck my arm out to Nassy with a gentlemanly cock of my head and extremely devilish wriggle of my brows.

One slender hand flew up to hide the smile that spilled from her eyes onto her lips. Then, with a stately little curtsey of her own, she put her arm through mine and let me lead her away from the hellhole of her life that was Dalius City. At least for the moment.

We must have looked like the two biggest fools in residence there, but I didn't care. It just suddenly felt so right that she was coming with me.

I'm damned lucky to have found her, I thought to myself as we moved along. And if my luck holds out, she'll let bygones be bygones and will accept my offer to come with us.

Not long thereafter we found ourselves entering the Central Docking Port. I blithely headed off in the direction where Devil-May-Care was docked, when I was approached by a docking official who was trying very hard to act more influential than he no doubt really was. Puffing himself up, he released a barrage of questions at us, demanding we divulge ourselves to him: who we were, why we were there, and otherwise generally promising the blood and soul of our firstborn child in exchange for the privilege of walking the hallowed duracrete of this wondrous facility. I frowned a bit to myself, digging through my pouch for the necessary items; sheesh, when did they start in with all this security? Is something going on somewhere that I don't know about? After scrutinizing my identification and listening for the fifteenth time as I vouched for Nassy upon pain of relinquishing the aforementioned firstborn, he backed up a little. Finally he waved us on, disapproval clearly evident in the black scowl with which he sizzled our hastily retreating backs.

I could only shake my head at the questions rising in Nassy's eyes. "Maybe K'kihl will have an idea of what's going on," I suggested, wondering if this might have something to do with the two Rodians who had visited this lady Twi'lek in less than eight hours.

"Ah. Here we are!" I gave her arm a pat, then waved the hand in a somewhat expansive introduction of my sleekly ominous corvette. Before Nassy could do more than blink, the hatch yawned open, and we boarded her. With equal alacrity, I soon had her settled in the finest quarters on the ship.

"I'll let you get yourself cleaned up a little," I stated. "Then we'll get a bite of din- I mean, breakfast, heh."

On a sudden impulse, I reached forward and took up both her hands again. "Nassy, I was going to wait to ask you this as we ate, but I'd rather ask now and give you a little time by yourself to think. By now I believe you have an inkling of what I'm like. I'll also freely admit that when it comes to ship's matters, I'm a slave-driver. My ship and her crew, as one entity, come before the people who make up that crew. But I'm asking again if you would join us. I think..."

Suddenly at a loss for words, I stopped with them dangling from my lips and for a long moment just stood there. Then I stammered on with a faltering little grin. "I- I'll be back for you in about half an hour. We can talk more over breakfast."

Before she could say one word, I turned and hurried aft. I had to talk to K'kihl.

[ 10-26-2001 06:49 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Yaoksi Joao ]

--------------------

Posts: 607 | From: Midwest | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 205.188.192.153

All times are CT
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e