my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Role Playing   » Jedi Praxeum & Sith Temple   » The Ruins of the Mind (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Printable Version
Author Topic: The Ruins of the Mind
Rykounagin

Son of Conflict

Member # 531

posted 11-14-2006 10:42 PM     Profile for Rykounagin   Author's Homepage   Email Rykounagin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
(((OOC: Rykounagin enters from "The Saving of a Soul" in this forum, thankyou))

I opened my eyes, and blinked, not quite in the mind of where I was. I tried to speak, but no sound came from my lips. I looked around, and blinked as I saw that the ship was in relative ruin around me.

I took a deeper breath, and felt pain rocket through my abdomen, as though something had pierced through me. I gave a cry of pain, and slowly rolled onto one side, feeling a wetness upon my back. I weakly tore one of my gloves off and felt my back.

A hole had been torn in the mesh, and I could now see that a small pointed rod had cut through the floor, almost half an inch more and it would have likely impaled me through my liver. However, it seemed to have only bruised my back and sliced the flesh enough to cause me to bleed.

I tried to get up again, but felt darkness quickly overcome me as pain shot through my body again.

--------------------

"I'm not afraid to keep on living, I'm not afraid to walk this world alone;" -Black Parade

Posts: 869 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  Logged: 71.212.146.56
The Master

Member # 529

posted 11-22-2006 05:30 PM     Profile for The Master   Author's Homepage   Email The Master     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
(((OOC: The Master enters from Silence of the Lambs in this forum)))

Understanding the precaution, the Master blinked, willing a force around the air about his body so that he became shielded from the lack of atmosphere. He stepped through the portal and turned to watch it close. He stood for a moment, taking in the ambience of absolute silence, broken only by his own slow breathing and heartbeat.

Smiling, he recalled the interior of the fighter and opened his own portal into it.

He stepped through, entering into the cockpit. Rykounagin sat slumped on the floor.

“Greetings, Rykounagin,” said the Master. “Can you hear me? Are you seriously injured?”

The Master waited for a response, waiting to see if the boy was conscious. But he not wait long, for if he were injured severely it would not do delay the healing.

Posts: 221 | From: The Darkest of Realms | Registered: Mar 2004  |  Logged: 172.146.96.130
Rykounagin

Son of Conflict

Member # 531

posted 11-22-2006 05:39 PM     Profile for Rykounagin   Author's Homepage   Email Rykounagin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I opened my eyes, and looked at the man above me. Or, sith as it were. Dead sith, as far as I knew. "Apparently yes, as I recall I killed you..." I closed my eyes. "If I am dead, then that means my cracked ribs did indeed puncture something around the liver or intestines and I've bled to death. Or there's a preasure leak in this cabin. But seeing as you're dead, I'm going to go with yes, I am seriously injured."

I sighed, feeling that same sharp ache pierce through my abdomen. "Or it just hurts a lot, and someone found a way to bring you back to life like the witch..."

--------------------

"I'm not afraid to keep on living, I'm not afraid to walk this world alone;" -Black Parade

The Master

Member # 529

posted 11-22-2006 05:50 PM     Profile for The Master   Author's Homepage   Email The Master     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
“The witch…” said the Master. “Ah, it must be Graysith you speak of. Yes, she was brought back to life, and now is blessed with a power beyond your wildest dreams. A succinct harmony, if you will.”

The Master moved closer to Rykounagin and sat in the mostly intact pilot’s seat.

“I must admit, I admire your fortitude. I know very few who would have survived a crash such as this, let alone be left with the willpower to carry on such a blood-felt hatred for someone. I myself hate no-one, but that is neither here nor there.”

The Master settled back, the chair groaning but not giving way.

“Tell me, Rykounagin, if you were in fact still alive, would you accept an offer of aid from me if I were to give it? A healing touch, so to speak.”

Posts: 221 | From: The Darkest of Realms | Registered: Mar 2004  |  Logged: 172.146.96.130
Rykounagin

Son of Conflict

Member # 531

posted 11-22-2006 06:09 PM     Profile for Rykounagin   Author's Homepage   Email Rykounagin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"That depends... would you pull my soul a third way? It kind of hurts now as it is." I said, shifting, trying to move away from the stabbing pain in my own body that persisted in following me, even as I rolled over and attempted to get up, slowly dragging myself off the floor with help from a control console.

"So... is there a cost for you healing me in death? Or are dead people really really charitable? Because if that's the case, I don't think I'm going to fit in..." He groaned again from the pain.

--------------------

The Master

Member # 529

posted 11-22-2006 06:24 PM     Profile for The Master   Author's Homepage   Email The Master     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Master laughed.

“No, I do not believe that people become more charitable after death. The ones I knew were just as vile and nasty as they were in life. Some even worse. It all depends on where they end up, really.”

The Master brushed back his hair from his forehead and let it fall forward again.

“I also am not very nice. But let it be said also that I hold no contempt for you, Rykounagin. While others may look upon you with scorn and amuse themselves by playing you the fool, I on the other hand see you as an individual with a past that has led you down the wrong road too many times. You want respect, yes. You want power, yes. With one comes the other, no? Not always, lad. Not always. You are far too volatile to garnish respect in the ways you have sought it.”

“But a price, you ask. A fair question, certainly, for why would I offer you aid without some benefit to myself? I shall be honest from the start. Indeed, there is something I want. And I believe you could hold information that could lead me to it. Perhaps, in some way, you could even extract a bit of down-home vengeance in the deal as well. But all I ask is the information, leading me to the object of my desire.”

Rykounagin

Son of Conflict

Member # 531

posted 11-22-2006 07:33 PM     Profile for Rykounagin   Author's Homepage   Email Rykounagin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I felt the ache growing in my abdomen, and around that time, I became fairly sure that I was not dead. Honestly? I had lingered between the prospects, but if I wasn't in the darker realms, and he apparently wasn't dead, that means I wasn't.

But it definately meant I was well on my way to being so. I finally finished righting myself, and settled myself to sit on the console, feeling something hot and wet in the back of my throat. "And what is that then? What do I know?"

I asked, turning my head to spit something rather dark that tasted nothing like common saliva. Ah yes, that definately confirmed it. I was dying.

"Go ahead and ask, I have nothing to lose from you speaking."

--------------------

The Master

Member # 529

posted 11-22-2006 10:02 PM     Profile for The Master   Author's Homepage   Email The Master     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
“Ah,” said the master, surveying the spot where Rykounagin spat. “That you don’t. I shall be brief then, seeing the pain this obviously brings you. We are closer than you think, and more than I like to admit. I was used, my lad. Used in a con that was longer than the galaxy is wide. The same con that brought you into power as a Dark Lord, and sent you away in hot pursuit of the one who will eventually bring about your death. The, ah, ‘witch’ you spoke of.”

The Master shifted forward in his seat.

“But my role was different. I was to be the one embracing the darkness. I was to ride the stormcloud and the night, not her. I was to be the one in perfect balance!”

The Master inhaled deeply, then eased back into the chair and folded his hands across his waist.

“But that is neither here nor here, either. For it is you I wish to focus on, Rykounagin. I know of your adoption, first by the Dark Lord Aelvedaar. That adoption, I’m afraid, was proven false with the exposure of the doppelganger. Which leads us to the next adoption by the former Dark Lord Roan. That is another path in which we cross, for that particular soul was my, shall we say, business partner. It is not easy being the only flesh being in the ruling court of the Darker Realms, and I accepted his assistance. Ah, you guessed it, another piece in the con.”

The Master paused, watching a bead of blood trickle from Rykounagin’s mouth.

“But back to you. I have my doubts, my lad, as to the authenticity of that adoption as well. There are certain observations which escaped me at the time, but now that I have had the time to reflect, it was before me all along. I do not believe that being was in fact Roan. I am sorry to say this, and would be happy to expound on my suspicions, but you seem a bit pressed and I would hate to tarry about needlessly.”

The Master watched another bit of blood escape from Rykounagin’s lips.

“Would you like me to take care of that sore throat?”

Posts: 221 | From: The Darkest of Realms | Registered: Mar 2004  |  Logged: 12.226.28.175
Rykounagin

Son of Conflict

Member # 531

posted 11-22-2006 10:35 PM     Profile for Rykounagin   Author's Homepage   Email Rykounagin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I nodded slowly, having heard little of what he said, my mind having stopped on one of his earlier phrases: "...and sent you away in hot pursuit of the one who will eventually bring about your death..."

"Yes... that would be appriciated." I closed my eyes, feeling my innards twist. Obviously the mere act of trying to get up and speak was draining my energy quickly.

--------------------

The Master

Member # 529

posted 11-22-2006 11:37 PM     Profile for The Master   Author's Homepage   Email The Master     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Master lowered his head and stretched his hand outwards towards Rykounagin. He felt for the pain, felt for the breaks and tears and rent flesh, and then set the tissues upon the accelerated course of repairing themselves. He then reached further inside of Rykounagin’s body, seeking out the same problems within other areas.

When he was done, the Master slid deeper into the chair, very tired.

“There,” he said. “Your body will know what to do. The immediate threat of death has passed, and given a few hours you shall be feeling whole once again. In body, anyway. I sense a great turmoil in your spirit, lad. I have never been one to interfere with the mind directly, though, so I fear my aid cannot encompass such problems.

“The fear of imminent death purged, perhaps we may continue our conversation. Accepting the postulate that your adoptive father is in fact not Lord Roan, it brings about many questions to my mind. The first of which, if it is not Lord Roan, then who is it? Then, of course, where is Lord Roan? And the third question which springs to mind is why this impersonation?”

The Master paused, allowing Rykounagin to draw a deep breath. Still pale, the boy struggled to maintain consciousness.

“Is what I am saying making any sense to you? One thing I hate to be considered a blathering idiot, and I am not adverse to repeating myself for the sake of clarity. But I see you are in fact weary and in a great deal of pain. Do not fear the pain, welcome it as I do. It is the one certain thing that separates us from the dead. I will surely miss it when my time comes.”

The Master paused again, then added:

“A thought just struck my, Rykounagin. Do you know why the Dark Lady wishes you dead?”

Posts: 221 | From: The Darkest of Realms | Registered: Mar 2004  |  Logged: 12.226.28.175
Rykounagin

Son of Conflict

Member # 531

posted 11-23-2006 12:12 AM     Profile for Rykounagin   Author's Homepage   Email Rykounagin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I smiled faintly, feeling the agony ebb away. "Ah... yes that would have to do with blowing up her aide." I chuckled, and cracked my neck. Gods, it felt good!

"She had her follow me through the city, and I am rather sure intended for her to either stalk and report on me or keep me from finding my love... speaking of which, for whom I am now worried..." It crossed my mind that she might be rather furious now that I had failed to kill her mother at this moment.

"Though, aside from a shared wish for each other's deaths, why do you say she will kill me, this witch?"

--------------------

The Master

Member # 529

posted 11-28-2006 11:41 PM     Profile for The Master   Author's Homepage   Email The Master     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Master allowed a small smile to curl upon his lips.

“Your love?” he asked. “I shall expound on my reasoning about the Dark Lady’s wish for your death, but would you mind indulging me for a moment or two on this love of which you speak? I assume, of course, you mean ShaRhylla.”

The Master sat forward on his seat, a look of genuine curiosity on his face.

“Do you honestly feel love for her? I do not mean to cast doubt upon you, of course, so please don’t get me wrong. But you are both very young, and I recall in my youth mistaking what I later found out to be infatuation with love. It led me down a path of blind stumbling with a very hurtful ending. I wouldn’t trade that experience for anything, though. But I am curious as to what you feel of your situation. When you look into your heart, do you find her there? Does she fill every waking thought? Do your moments of solitude bring longing to be with her?”

Posts: 221 | From: The Darkest of Realms | Registered: Mar 2004  |  Logged: 172.145.205.111
Rykounagin

Son of Conflict

Member # 531

posted 11-29-2006 06:33 PM     Profile for Rykounagin   Author's Homepage   Email Rykounagin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I smiled almost grimly. It was a good question he asked, but I had an answer that I hoped would satisfy his hunger for an answer.

"Would you die for someone as I chose to do before your son intercepted me? Would you persue that relationship and that love even when the one you love would gladly cast you from a cliff into the depths of hell? Would you face their fury if only to hear their voice?"

I smiled. "Our love has its twists and turns, and perhaps she does not love me as I do her... but yes, if what I feel for her has a name, it is love. Albeit, not the most romantic. But then again, romance has little place in a galaxy like this."

--------------------

The Master

Member # 529

posted 11-29-2006 09:19 PM     Profile for The Master   Author's Homepage   Email The Master     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Master sat back in his seat once again, his hand on his chin.

“How terrible it must be for you,” he said. “To feel this sort of love. There is an ancient story, hardly ever told anymore, of a servant boy who loved his mistress dearly, but she was a tyrant and beat him. Yet those moments were the most savory for him, for in her fury her entire attention was upon him, and that is really all he wanted. He hoped and prayed to the gods for the day she would see what he had done for her, and come around to the love he knew was in her. It ended poorly, though, for one day she beat him so badly he died. It was only then she realized how much she would miss him. Tragic, really, which is probably why it is not told much anymore.”

He folded his arms across his chest and shifted.

“Oddly enough, you seem to share something in common with my son. He, as you know, has become quite smitten with ‘the witch’, and in fact is downright in love with her. Pity for him, though, that she is all balanced dark and light now, and can no longer be bothered with such things as love for him. I think he knows this in his head, but his heart won’t accept it until he sees for himself. I don’t envy him the heartbreak, but perhaps it will clear his head and we can get down to the business of saving the galaxy.”

The Master sat upright once more, looking closely at Rykounagin.

“I understand if you do not care for him, but he is finally realizing what I already knew. And what I hope others such as Aelvedaar and yourself will come to see as well. There is a threat coming, more powerful and deadly than the galaxy can endure in its present condition. The Sith must lead the way in preparing, and we cannot until we put our differences aside and band together. This is why I hate no one, we are all in this together. Do you know what it is I speak of?”

Posts: 221 | From: The Darkest of Realms | Registered: Mar 2004  |  Logged: 216.51.227.191
Rykounagin

Son of Conflict

Member # 531

posted 11-30-2006 10:31 PM     Profile for Rykounagin   Author's Homepage   Email Rykounagin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I almost gave pause to this, the beasts within growling at this and almost mocking the idea that one could not hate anyone. "I'm surprised that you do not hate. I would have thought my helping in killing you would have made you hate me rather strongly..."

I did not want to even consider that my love could be flawed. As fanciful and interesting story as it was, it was not what I wanted to hear, and as I often did, I put it out of my mind. "What threat could break this galaxy assunder that those who can wield the all as you do could not merely send away? Open conflict is rare now, so you'll forgive me if I'll tell you something about the wider universe that you inhabit. The sith aren't a superpower anymore. Massive fleets control every system, soldiers march off to command and conquer planet to planet, and those they do not own are strong enough on their own."

I smiled, not realizing my own ignorance in how truely deadly that which came was. "What could possibly threaten this galaxy so much that you would fear them?"

--------------------

The Master

Member # 529

posted 11-30-2006 10:41 PM     Profile for The Master   Author's Homepage   Email The Master     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
“The Sith are indeed a power, brought here in their splendor and glory as they existed 4000 years ago. But they are a quiet power, depleted by the wars with the Dark Jedi. Yet there exists an incredible greatness in this race, and were it not for the breakdown of the Triumvirate, accompanied by treachery within and without, the Dark Jedi would never have prevailed.”

The Master frowned.

“But this threat is different. They’ve been here before, they know this galaxy. Our only advantage is that they do not know the Sith. But divided, we are lost. Tell me, have you heard stories of a race called the Vong?”

Posts: 221 | From: The Darkest of Realms | Registered: Mar 2004  |  Logged: 12.216.65.48
Rykounagin

Son of Conflict

Member # 531

posted 12-01-2006 09:01 PM     Profile for Rykounagin   Author's Homepage   Email Rykounagin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"No. My knowledge is rooted to common events in the normal galaxy and historical events amongst the sith. My knowledge of the mundane history is long long forgotten." I shrugged. "Forgive me, but I shall have to take your word that they are a great threat if you fear them."

I gave a sigh. "You'll also have to forgive me for asking, but how long do you intend to imprison me on this wreck?"

--------------------

The Master

Member # 529

posted 12-03-2006 11:30 PM     Profile for The Master   Author's Homepage   Email The Master     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Master cocked his head, looking at Rykounagin.

“I am not holding you prisoner here,” he said. “I have no intentions at all of keeping you against your will. Quite the contrary, in fact. What I hope to do is explain to you our situation – yours, mine, everyone’s – and hope that you see how imperative it is you join us.”

The Master straightened, his face softening and his chin resting on his hand.

“I shall be honest with you, and forgive me if I seem too blunt, or perhaps even brutal. I have observed you, and heard of your actions from others, and it seems consistent. You tend to jump to the side of, well, malevolence when dealing with others. Take the recent encounter with Phalomir, for example. Yes, he surprised you, but your immediate reaction was to try to take his life. This is a pattern, and goes a long way in explaining why he set the ship to crash here. You have been used, and abused. I wish you well in finding your happiness, and sincerely hope your love is repaid. But you will need to trust, and be trusted.”

He leaned back once more.

“Now, as for me, I would like to trust you, but it must be earned. And it goes both ways, of course, for you certainly have no reason to trust me. Nobody does. I was under the influence of the darkness for so long, I sometimes second-guess my own feelings. But I am sure of one thing, and that is that the beings of this galaxy shall one day be facing extinction if we are not prepared. The Sith were not present during the last invasion of the Yuuzhan Vong, and the Vong shall not be expecting us. But unless we are at our full power it will mean little.”

The Master then leaned forward once again, an intense look in his eyes.

“I can go into great detail of the destruction that will come, and give history lessons on the previous invasion. I can answer whatever questions you wish, if you bear with me for a bit longer. This must be your decision, I will force nothing. I only ask that you hear me out.”

Posts: 221 | From: The Darkest of Realms | Registered: Mar 2004  |  Logged: 12.216.65.48
Rykounagin

Son of Conflict

Member # 531

posted 12-04-2006 11:41 PM     Profile for Rykounagin   Author's Homepage   Email Rykounagin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"I have no interest in being lectured on the enemy for now, for that will require more time than I wish to spend in this wreckage. You don't need to fear me trying to lash out because I can't. My hands are magickally tied now. You could put a blaster to my face, and aside from run or dodge, I can't do a thing against it."

I sighed. "You say you wont force me, but that's like saying 'join me or jump off a cliff'. You technically have a choice, just one is a lot more desirable than the other. I suppose the only question I can ask is when you intend to release me."

I spoke not of my physical containment here, but of the unspoken contract that now forced me into rather specific parameters on what I could do without risking agony.

--------------------

The Master

Member # 529

posted 12-06-2006 10:39 PM     Profile for The Master   Author's Homepage   Email The Master     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Master stroked his chin.

“So intent upon your freedom?” he asked. “Again, not to be blunt, but look around you. Look at your life, what has happened to you while you were ‘free’. Abused and betrayed, used and cast aside. Then when you have the power of the Dark Lords in your grasp, you lose it through your own lust for more. While you struggle through your decisions, it seems that you truly are at your best when you have direction and purpose. And that, my lad, would come best from being in the employ of a Dark Lord.”

The Master shrugged.

“But, alas, I am not in the power to either free or command you. That is why I come to you, beseeching you to listen and make your own decision. I could ask my son to put you to this task, but I would rather have to wish for it.”

He smiled slightly and drew in closer, his eyes clear and focused on the young man’s own.

“The imposter, that false Dark Lord who ‘adopted’ you, who has brought so much grief upon us all has something of mine, and I need it back. And you are the perfect assassin for the job.”

Posts: 221 | From: The Darkest of Realms | Registered: Mar 2004  |  Logged: 172.128.179.62
Rykounagin

Son of Conflict

Member # 531

posted 12-06-2006 10:50 PM     Profile for Rykounagin   Author's Homepage   Email Rykounagin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"What is it that he took?" I asked, having a very good guess at the nature of this particular object. Gods how I hated it. But I didn't know the definate answer, and decided to wait for him to give it to me.

Something wicked slid through my mind however. But I would save that thought for later... Father might just be able to do it...

--------------------

The Master

Member # 529

posted 12-07-2006 09:15 PM     Profile for The Master   Author's Homepage   Email The Master     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The Master paused, staring intently.

“There is something playing in your mind, lad,” he said. “I can see the wheels turning, the plans trying to come forward. Why do you cling to your ways?”

He sighed and shrugged.

“It is no matter, you shall see for yourself. Trust come slowly, in both directions. The one who feigned to adopt you his own has a powerful device that belongs to me, and in his hands it shall bring nothing but destruction to us all. He is beyond this realm, and unwelcome in his own. But he has my channeller, and to save us, I need it back.”

Posts: 221 | From: The Darkest of Realms | Registered: Mar 2004  |  Logged: 172.162.151.214
Rykounagin

Son of Conflict

Member # 531

posted 12-07-2006 09:22 PM     Profile for Rykounagin   Author's Homepage   Email Rykounagin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I glowered at him. I knew it. I absolutely knew it.

"No one needs that filthy thing. Absolutely no one. Let it rot in hell with him, it does no one any good." I growled. "That thing plays everyone who uses it. Every time I've picked it up, all it does is whisper to me that it's been waiting to use my potential, that I could be its greatest wielder over any other."

I smirked. "Let me guess, it says the same thing to you all the time?"

--------------------

The Master

Member # 529

posted 12-07-2006 09:44 PM     Profile for The Master   Author's Homepage   Email The Master     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
“The device itself holds the power, not the spirit within,” said the Master. “The spirit within is most foul indeed, given a task it must complete or be doomed forever. But alas, it did complete its task, that which I knew and prevented many times before. So this device is clear of the thing that tormented you so. That tormented so many…”

The Master blinked away a faraway look.

“The Black Hall is gone, the Tower with it. Now the channeller is as it was before it was stolen from me, and how I wish it back. The future of the galaxy depends on it.”

The Master leaned back, his arms crossing over his chest.

“And the beast who now possesses it believes you a fool. That is your strength in this. Will you help me? Will you write your place in history?”

Posts: 221 | From: The Darkest of Realms | Registered: Mar 2004  |  Logged: 172.162.151.214
Rykounagin

Son of Conflict

Member # 531

posted 12-10-2006 07:42 PM     Profile for Rykounagin   Author's Homepage   Email Rykounagin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I nodded slowly. "Alright I'll do it... but promise me one thing in all of this." I sighed. "Just, just promise that in the end you'll give ShaRhylla what she deserves. The indesputed throne of the warriors. There's no reason you should want it if your objective is only to defeat the oncomming of whatever they were called."

I closed my eyes. How was I going to do this anyway?

--------------------

All times are CT
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05