my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
»  The Holonet Boards   » Role Playing   » Jedi Praxeum & Sith Temple   » Of Masters and the Mastered (Page 3)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 

Printable Version
Author Topic: Of Masters and the Mastered
Onidorei

Host of Souls

Member # 606

posted 03-30-2005 04:42 PM     Profile for Onidorei   Author's Homepage   Email Onidorei     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
We waited, seeing the stars passing swiftly for once giving us a sense of peace, but a twinge of impatience now.

We knew we were going to be freed, it was inevitable, but how long would it be? We had recieved the transmisison, heard clearly against the laws of sonic energy when they passed through liquid, but never-the-less it was painful to know we could not walk once again.

--------------------

"Gods are make believe friends for Adults. The only true god is that of science."

Posts: 102 | From: The Prison of our Minds | Registered: Mar 2005  |  Logged: 70.56.6.223
Phalomir

Dark Lord of the Armorers

Member # 492

posted 04-06-2005 08:57 PM     Profile for Phalomir   Author's Homepage   Email Phalomir     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Realization dawned on the face of Phalomir, as if he had shaken himself from a daze.

“Of course,” he said, almost startled at the discovery of a thought. “Sith magick. Great gods, have I been so wrapped in politics to forget even the simplest of my abilities? I shall return shortly.”

Phalomir’s face went blank as he leaned back against the hull. Inside, his spirit was already freeing itself from the confines of his physical form. His Sith magick dissolved the threads that bound the two, and within seconds his spirit was floating freely in the room. He focused on finding the energy beam that anchored the strange pod to the ship, and shot his spirit towards it. He followed it, through the bizarre realm of hyperspace, and into the pod.

Phalomir was taken aback, even in spirit form, by the sight within the pod. He studied it for several seconds, then shot backwards into the ship. With a gasp his body woke, his spirit rejoined.

Wide-eyed, he stood and looked to the others.

“There is something in the pod, something alive… I think. It appears to be humanoid, but almost… combined… with the machinery.”

Phalomir trailed off and stared into space, trying to make sense of what he saw.

--------------------

From the days of past futures I come, make ready for the storm.

Posts: 863 | From: Urbandale, IA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  Logged: 70.58.180.140
Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 04-11-2005 02:20 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"Whoa!"

I stated the obvious, judging by the startled looks plastered upon everyone else's face. My companions stood about with their mouths hanging as stupidly open as mine probably was.

I closed it a moment, frowning as I pondered this latest development.

"Part.. machine?" I asked Phalomir, directing a look into his eyes. Something I saw there made me shiver; trying to ignore this, I pressed on.

"What is it, some kind of bot or high-tech droid or something? And if so, what in Hell's Seven Circles would it want to dock with us for? And--"

Another thought struck me, and I wrapped my arms about myself, pressing closer to Terrin as the incongruity of it carried a sudden warning into my brain.

"Why the cry for help? Robots don't need life support, even one in a bacta tank. They're programmed, for pity's sake;

"I wonder who programmed this one?"

I paused to gather my scattering thoughts in order to apply them to this mystery.

"What would a robot be doing in a bacta tank anyway?"

I looked to all, but let my gaze end upon the Dark Lord. For he most of anyone would have some semblance of an answer; he had, after all, actually seen this thing.

[ 04-11-2005 02:21 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Galen ]

--------------------

"Sure as there is Treasure on Roon...."

Posts: 1456 | From: | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.116.196
Phalomir

Member # 492

posted 04-11-2005 08:29 PM     Profile for Phalomir   Author's Homepage   Email Phalomir     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
“Not a robot,” Phalomir directed to Galen. “A living being, as far as I could tell, but supported, perhaps, with mechanical devices. I have seen such things in hospitals, tubes and power lines running into the flesh. This one has many such tubes in its head, and its face is partially covered by some sort of mechanical mask. Perhaps it is a survivor of some horrible accident and seeks assistance?”

He turned to Shayla, who was still with Panther.

“Is there any way for you or your husband to sense it’s intentions?”

[ 04-13-2005 09:04 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Phalomir ]

--------------------

Posts: 863 | From: Urbandale, IA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  Logged: 70.58.180.140
Shayla Stargazer Petrolu

Adept

Member # 123

posted 04-11-2005 09:35 PM     Profile for Shayla Stargazer Petrolu   Author's Homepage   Email Shayla Stargazer Petrolu     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Shayla pursed her lips. "Perhaps," she then replied. "I can think towards it, but I can't send direct words to it like an All-user might be able to. However, I can reach out to it with the Force and attempt to ascertain any 'feelings' eminating from it. Likewise, I can send a nonverbal 'query' its way, one which it might be able to interpret enough to evoke a response.

At any rate, I'll give it a try."

Saying nothing more than this, Shayla closed her eyes and stretched outward towards that "sentience" nearby them, certain she was connecting with whatever what nearby them. Again she was flooded with the sense of many lifeforces...

...and she had to take a moment to make sense of all the life-energy she was touching with before she could continue. Then she sent out a silent yet very distinct "Force niggle" as if to say "Who are you, and what is it you want?" without saying it at all. For indeed, that was precisely what she was feeling within herself as she quietly awaited an answer...

...if there was to be one at all.

--------------------

"Small minds think in small terms!"
~~CMH~~
(I am NOT turning to the Darkside...)

Posts: 1711 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 68.214.87.148
Onidorei

Host of Souls

Member # 606

posted 04-11-2005 09:40 PM     Profile for Onidorei   Author's Homepage   Email Onidorei     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Something had touched us! Not physically, for we were unmoving in our confines, but something seemed to brush us. All of us.

We spent a few moments trying to ascertain the meaning of the "contact" and felt the "gist" of it. "We are the Onidorei, we want nothing more than freedom. We mean no harm, and have no capacity to give it." Was our mental chorus as we fought with all mental capacity to respond to this presense."

--------------------

"Gods are make believe friends for Adults. The only true god is that of science."

Posts: 102 | From: The Prison of our Minds | Registered: Mar 2005  |  Logged: 70.56.6.223
Shayla Stargazer Petrolu

Adept

Member # 123

posted 04-11-2005 10:06 PM     Profile for Shayla Stargazer Petrolu   Author's Homepage   Email Shayla Stargazer Petrolu     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Though Shayla couldn't make out the words, Shayla could feel the emotions flooding towards her. Emotions hinting of entrapment, of desire and longing for..

...for something. She also sensed no ill-intent.

"I sense nothing that would lead me to believe this thing intends to harm us, and no deception. Rather, I sense a longing or desire for something..."

She paused at this, frowning and sensing and questing outward once more. "...a longing for release of some kind, I think..."

--------------------

"Small minds think in small terms!"
~~CMH~~
(I am NOT turning to the Darkside...)

Posts: 1711 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 68.214.87.148
Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 04-11-2005 10:11 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I raised a hand quickly as Shayla's words brought images from years ago flooding once again into my mind.

"I'm sure my dear sister was longing for release just as much, that day on K'eel Doba when we put her into a force cage."

I sent a briefly apologetic smile Phalomir's way, and was beginning to settle back in my seat when the obvious cricket noises ratcheting about the ship captured my attention. I blinked up into the blank looks everyone was giving me.

"She was hell-bent to kill me then, you know."

With that I shut up, letting my hand drift down to my belt, where it toyed unconsciously with the invisibility device I yet possessed.

[ 04-11-2005 10:16 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Galen ]

--------------------

Posts: 1456 | From: | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 70.58.180.140
Terrin Danner

Exceptional Salesman turned Really Nice Guy

Member # 110

posted 04-12-2005 09:52 PM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"Yeah, I still don't like this," Terrin agreed. "My input is that we continue with the original plan to drop this thing off with the Impys, and let them figure it out. And by the way..."

He trailed, already having noticed Galen's hand on the invisibility device. "...has that been activated?" he asked, motioning towards the device. "I have no problem dropping off whatever is out there to the Imps...

...but I sure as Hell don't want to pay them a visit as well while we're at it. We've already had enough lost time as it is."

[ 04-12-2005 09:53 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Terrin Danner ]

--------------------

"Where's the horns, flyboy?"
~~Galen
It is a far greater thing to live a life with purpose and risk death than to simply live.~~CMH

Posts: 1187 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 68.214.87.148
Phalomir

Member # 492

posted 04-13-2005 09:28 PM     Profile for Phalomir   Author's Homepage   Email Phalomir     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"I do not like the idea of 'dropping this thing' off without knowing what it is. There has been too much strangeness about us, what if this 'thing' turns out to be something of use to the Empire? If you cannot ascertain it's purpose or identity, then perhaps I should ask it directly."

Phalomir lowered his head and backed to the wall, taking in deep breaths.

"Allow me a moment to prepare," he added, closing his eyes.

Using the same technique he had within the halls of the Library of the Sith, a time which seemed so very long ago, he again allowed his spirit to leave his body. His massive frame leaned quietly against the wall, his breathing slowed to nearly a stop, his face as pale as the red of his skin would allow. To the observer he might appear to be sleeping, but to anyone who knew him he approached the countenance of a dying man.

His spirit, however, strong and true, floated invisibly in the room above the staring comrades. Phalomir focused his energies and again sailed through the physical bonds that tethered the strange object to the even stranger ship, and found himself hovering in the tight confines of the pod. As in the Library, he diffused his thoughts and entered the very machinery.

It took a moment to comprehend the enormity of what he was trying to accomplish, for in the Library there had been Sith magick to help in the translation. But this was a buzzing of electrons completely foreign to Phalomir. But yet there was something else, something he could comprehend. In fact, he felt many of the something else, as if a mass of individual consciousnesses were swirling together somewhere in the maddening whirl.

He focused once again, and called to them.

“I am Phalomir, hear me, I beg.”

[ 04-14-2005 08:16 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Phalomir ]

--------------------

Onidorei

Host of Souls

Member # 606

posted 04-14-2005 08:23 PM     Profile for Onidorei   Author's Homepage   Email Onidorei     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Another conciousness! But this one was direct, speaking to us as if in casual conversation that some of us still could remember from when we were seperate!

"We are the Onidorei, we hear and speak with you Phalomir. What is it that you wish of us?" We asked, eagerly but tonelessly responding to his speech.

[ 04-14-2005 08:23 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Onidorei ]

--------------------

Phalomir

Member # 492

posted 04-14-2005 08:30 PM     Profile for Phalomir   Author's Homepage   Email Phalomir     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Phalomir was taken aback for a moment. His feelings were justified, there was another consciousness within this machinery with him. But it referred to itself in the plural. The idea of many individuals speaking as one entered his thoughts, reminding him briefly of soldiers programmed to obediently follow their master… why that thought came to him, he barely gave notice to.

“I greet you, Onidorei, from the ship that now tethers you. I seek to know you, to understand why you have come to me. Who are you, why do you seek me?”

--------------------

Onidorei

Host of Souls

Member # 606

posted 04-14-2005 08:36 PM     Profile for Onidorei   Author's Homepage   Email Onidorei     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
We hardly hesitated before speaking again, such was our eagerness for contact with other sentience.

"We seek not you Phalomir, but we seek contact with other sentience. We have remained dormant within that ghost of a station for thousands of years, awaiting release. Your vessel was the first to come upon us in that time, and we do admit we were over-eager to make contact with you, such was our deployment to make contact with you."

We paused in our speech, then continued. "Who is it that makes companionship with you? We know of two others, one who spoke mechanically to us through the physical means provided, and another did not speak, but seemed to communicate some how. Are there more?"

[ 04-14-2005 08:38 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Onidorei ]

--------------------

Phalomir

Member # 492

posted 04-14-2005 08:43 PM     Profile for Phalomir   Author's Homepage   Email Phalomir     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Phalomir, wary to reveal more than necessary, decided to wait a bit to give a direct answer.

“There are others, and in time perhaps you shall meet them. But before that may happen, I must know more of you. Please understand, you are a wonder to us, an unknown. We are not at heart mistrusting people, but we must take certain precautions. If you heard my companion’s voice through mechanical means, could you not reply through those same means? Until we all are assured of your intent, we cannot risk bringing you aboard. Can you speak with us through the communication device?”

--------------------

Onidorei

Host of Souls

Member # 606

posted 04-14-2005 08:47 PM     Profile for Onidorei   Author's Homepage   Email Onidorei     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"Your previous message was established via a short burst transmission from your end. We have no ability to extend such an "invitation" unless you were to extend it. Our communications can only give basic visual and send out our beacon unless further contact is established via another party."

We ceased conversation to command the pods small computer to immediately accept electronic attempts at contact, then continued. "We would be quite glad to continue this conversation by normal means if you were to extend the communication. We will answer all questions given."

--------------------

Phalomir

Member # 492

posted 04-14-2005 09:08 PM     Profile for Phalomir   Author's Homepage   Email Phalomir     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Phalomir smiled inwardly.

“Then I shall return, and extend such communication. You are well met, may our further communications be as pleasant.”

Phalomir slid back out of the machinery, glad to be free of the flowing electrons. His spirit flew back along the tethers, reentering his body with a jolt. In an instant, the nearly lifeless giant body rocked to life. His knees extended his torso up the wall until his massive body stood erect, his eyes jerked open, and his voice boomed as if he had been alert all along.

“You speak true, Shayla,” he said. “There are many entities, or the consciousness of such, sharing their existence there. They spoke to me as one, their thoughts running light years at a time. They are hungry for companionship, and will speak with us via the communication channels when we extend the invitation. They call themselves ‘Onidorei’. They seemed sincere, but I have not always been the best judge of character.”

He shot a daggered look to the Master, who smirked in the back of the room, then returned to his friends.

“What do you think?”

--------------------

Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 04-14-2005 09:52 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I looked around at the wondering looks everyone had planted on their faces, then stood up with a snort.

"Is it too much to ask, or even wonder, for that matter, why a bunch of consciousnesses... er, consciousness... ahhh, well... why in Hell's Seven Circles a bunch of what makes sentients sentient happens to be sharing a body, one that is oh-so-hungry for companionship?

"Is it just me, or isn't this striking anybody else as a little bit on the odd side? This yearning for companionship, I mean.

"I mean..."

I stopped and drew in a breath while I tried to harness all the wild hunches that were niggling up and down my back to logical speech.

"Why would something like that be way the heck out here in the boonies, unless it was put here by someone? Now, there could be two different reasons as to why, if this is the case, but do we dare dally around with this thing when there is at least a fifty percent chance that doing so just might not be in our best interests?"

--------------------

Phalomir

Member # 492

posted 04-14-2005 09:58 PM     Profile for Phalomir   Author's Homepage   Email Phalomir     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
“We are already in hyperspace,” said Phalomir. “I would not consider it ‘dallying’ to communicate with the – thing. If we do not like what we hear, we can drop it off as we planned or cast it aside in hyperspace. What is the fear you have of talking with it?”

--------------------

Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 04-14-2005 10:05 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I folded my arms across myself even more tightly and glared at the giant Sith.

"Why bother?" I countered, raising my face to stare him straight in the eye.

"I mean, to what purpose? To pass the time? To gain, oh wonders, data about something new and unknown?"

I stopped, letting my words ring out into the hollow silence everyone else was providing.

"We're not scientists," I finished with a definite nod, letting my hands drop more definitely to my sides. I leaned back against the side of my seat at the navigation console.

"Why not just leave the thing here, and report it to whoever we should? Obviously there is no real life support threat; we can easily squirt the coordinates to the powers that be and leave it at that."

If there even is such an agency anymore, I scowled to myself as I then shut my mouth, waiting to hear the input of the others.

--------------------

Phalomir

Member # 492

posted 04-14-2005 10:10 PM     Profile for Phalomir   Author's Homepage   Email Phalomir     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
“Galen,” Phalomir said calmly. “We are the powers that be. If this lifeform is a threat, I must know. If it is an ally, then we should gladly accept it. Why are you so reluctant to even investigate? We have the time, we shall not reach K’eel Doba for quite awhile yet.”

--------------------

Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 04-14-2005 10:16 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Really now, this was getting tiresome beyond all words.

"And why are you so hell-bent to take up with every Tom, Dick and Jabba to come down the pike?" I flared back, matching his calm stare with a disproportionately reddened glare of my own.

--------------------

Phalomir

Member # 492

posted 04-14-2005 10:23 PM     Profile for Phalomir   Author's Homepage   Email Phalomir     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Still calm, Phalomir replied.

“Because I am a Dark Lord of a dying people, a people I hold above all else. There are forces in motion set to destroy it all, wrongs which must be righted, and pockets of darkness in our worlds that must be set to light. And I do not know who or what is on which side, or who or what will help or hinder. So I look, I hear, I ask. I do not assume. We have all experienced That Which Is, now does everything else in your life pale in comparison to the point of shutting yourself away from learning new things?”

--------------------

Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 04-14-2005 10:31 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I slammed my hand against the console at that.

"Look!" I began, gritting my teeth with the effort to keep from hollering at the top of my lungs.

"I don't really care, do you understand? Your people don't seem to be dying to me, seems the last time I looked they were bright-eyed and bushy tailed, straight from the Right Hand of the Dead, if I remember what the Universe really had been all about at one time.

"But as far as what you and your people and my misguided sister do, I really don't care! All I want is to get my daughter and take her and my husband and go somewhere that we might have a ghost's chance of living the rest of our lives in some kind of semblance of normalcy.

"Automatically applying some kind of dire necessity-to-our-supposed-needs to every stranger we come across just seems like so much more of a hindrance; Khaandon!

"Let Aelvedaar rule as he will, I don't give a womprat's hiney--

"I just want to get to K'eel Doba in a straightforward and unimpeded manner, and find Darra! Why in Hell's Seven Circles can't you see that?"

--------------------

The Master

Member # 529

posted 04-14-2005 10:40 PM     Profile for The Master   Author's Homepage   Email The Master     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
“ENOUGH!”

The roar from the back of the room caught everyone off guard, making even Phalomir jump and snap his head to the Master.

“If I had known I had taken in with such a bunch of slug-headed do-nothings, I would have stayed in Aelvedaar’s trap. What a sorry group of whining, sniveling, self-centered egotistical brats you are! I have watched you do wondrous things from my little room, indeed. You have moved solar systems, awoke the dead, tamed the untamed, walked the Darker Realms and fought back the hordes of the Bastard God Roan. And yet you squabble over communicating with a flippin’ stupid lifepod?! Don’t you see, this goes beyond your puny selfish wants, beyond your desires to find your kin. I can tell you everything you want to know, and I have never been asked! I say hold your words, take your actions and let us be on our way!”

With that, the Master waved his hand. He staggered, his eyes closing, but the space before him shimmered and thinned, and a portal opened before him. With lightning speed he pulled forward with his other hand, motioning as if pulling a rope. The life pod swam through the portal and fell to the floor, taking up a good portion of the back of the room. The Master grunted, the portal closed, and he fell to the floor himself, breathing heavily.

“There,” he rasped, propping himself on an elbow. “Aelvedaar thought he could take it all from me, but not all of it… not all.”

The Master chuckled, then fell to his side and rolled to his back, spitting blood.

Posts: 221 | From: The Darkest of Realms | Registered: Mar 2004  |  Logged: 70.58.180.140
Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 04-14-2005 10:48 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"Oh--hell!"

Before anyone could respond to this latest stunt I rushed over to Shayla, figuring she would be the first to do something to this weird thing that had just been handed to us on a silver, if tarnished, platter.

"Don't even think it!" I growled, then turned to where the self-imposed Master stood hacking up blood. I raised a hand, by that one action letting the others know just what I felt about coming to his aide.

Not that anyone would, I growled to myself.

At least not any of our people.

I cut another glare to Phalomir.

"Thanks, buddy, oh so much, you've been just wonderful, and did I ever say what a wonderful dad you've got?"

Not waiting to hear any inane reply he might make I turned away, keeping one wary eye on the pod while the other began searching to see if anyone had anything better than a silly Sith sword with which to protect ourselves.

Nada.

I sighed in frustration, then further ignoring Phalomir spoke up to the others.

"I say we space this thing, along with Phal's dear old dad, wouldn't you guys say?"

Really, I don't know what was coming over me of late, but suddenly I wanted nothing more to do with anything that remotely had the slightest semblance of anything to do with the Sith--

--and that included the sudden appearance of a thing one Sith in particular seemed overly determined to befriend.

[ 04-14-2005 10:50 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Galen ]

--------------------

All times are CT
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05