my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
»  The Holonet Boards   » Role Playing   » Jedi Praxeum & Sith Temple   » The Razor's Edge (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Printable Version
Author Topic: The Razor's Edge
Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 11-15-2004 07:41 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I snorted, not even bothering to pull out of the cupboard I was rummaging about in.

"I don't trust this guy a bit; if he can't prove his honest intentions, I say nail his hiney to the wall! This ship has more than enough power to--

"Hey!"

That self-imposed interruption was immediately followed by a yelp as I instinctively responded to what I had found hiding in the depths of this containment locker. As I had groped about inside, my hand had hit upon the back wall of it, deep within its depths.

To my surprise, that wall immediately slid away, revealing a hidden compartment. Further groping, and I contacted the familiar feel of the weirdly metallic paper the Sith used in their logs and other books.

I backed out on my elbows, and when I cleared the edge and was able to sit up again it was to see that I was holding another log book in my hands.

Even though it looked just like the navigation logbook, there was something about it that bespoke of another age, one different from the time period 4,000 years in the past from which this ship had originated.

Of course this was only a hunch--

"Hey," I repeated, rocking back on my haunches. "I found something."

I scrutinized the cover; there was something written in the middle of it. The patterning didn't look familiar to me, not like the title of a navigation log or something.

"I can't read this, I wonder if it's a personal log?"

I stood up slowly, all thought of our would-be assassin lost before this new mystery.

"Where's Panthar?" I asked at length, turning to Shayla.

"He said he can read Sith, maybe he can translate this for us."

--------------------

"Sure as there is Treasure on Roon...."

Posts: 1459 | From: | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.100.196
Shayla Stargazer Petrolu

Adept

Member # 123

posted 11-16-2004 03:31 AM     Profile for Shayla Stargazer Petrolu   Author's Homepage   Email Shayla Stargazer Petrolu     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Shayla furrowed her brows, scrutinizing the book which Galen now held in her hands. "I have a bad feeling about this," she started, her look darkening. "After all, usually when one keeps a log...

...it's so that others can know where he's been and what he's done. So then why is this thing hidden away?"

She trailed at this, pursing her lips and not liking the road her thoughts were travelling upon. "You know, this ship was berthed in Char'lingua when we first came upon it...

...and Lord Aelvedaar was the one who provided her to us. Now I don't know much about the Sith language, but perhaps the reason you can't read this Galen is because the clan lords had another language, one which was used by only them. If that were the case...

...whoever wrote this didn't want anyone else, other than perhaps the other Clan Lords, to understand its contents. Unless, of course...

...the language on this book isn't even Sith. After all, isn't it just a little too convenient that, when I had to take Graysith's place on that Yuuzhan Vong ship, Aelvedaar was able to find it at all? Perhaps he could have the ability to do just that...

...but the universe is a big place. What if Aelvedaar knew where that ship was because he had already visited it himself, and perhaps aboard this very warship? We have got to find out just what's inside this book..."

[ 11-16-2004 03:32 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Shayla Stargazer Petrolu ]

--------------------

"Small minds think in small terms!"
~~CMH~~
(I am NOT turning to the Darkside...)

Posts: 1711 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 68.214.87.148
Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 11-16-2004 04:00 AM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I frowned, casting a dark glance down at the mysterious book I held.

"Well," I finally said, beginning to wave it about for emphasis.

"We can speculate about this until the dewbacks come home... but we won't know diddly squat until the damned thing is translated.

"Where's Panthar?"

--------------------

Posts: 1459 | From: | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 65.101.165.214
Thoran

Really Nice Member

Member # 493

posted 11-16-2004 04:04 AM     Profile for Thoran   Author's Homepage   Email Thoran     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Thoran raised his head and called over to Galen.

“He went out to find pilot suits. Mumbled something about a huckleback sandwich and left with the other mooks.”

The object in Galen’s hand now caught his attention. Curious as to what the ladies had discovered, he nonchalantly sidled over to them and glanced towards the object in Galen’s hand. He raised his eyebrows and merely said “Whoa.”

--------------------

The ancients are not the oldest, nor the wisest.

Posts: 265 | From: Urbandale, IA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  Logged: 65.101.165.214
Erik Kartan

Corellian Info Smuggler and Pilot

Member # 129

posted 11-16-2004 04:09 AM     Profile for Erik Kartan   Author's Homepage   Email Erik Kartan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Erik stood from the corner where he'd been sitting, quietly observing. He glanced at the logbook...

...then glared at Phalomir aka Thoran. "Whoa what?!" he growled. "Mind sharing your observations with the rest of the class?"

--------------------

Hey! Where's my A-wing?!
My heart is broken....sweet sleep my Dark Angel... Evanescence, "My Heart is Broken"

Posts: 447 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Aug 2001  |  Logged: 68.214.87.148
Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 11-16-2004 04:13 AM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"Yeah buddy, you know what? It would be NICE if you'd start playing on our team now, ya know?"

I stomped over to Phalomir where, stopping and standing up on my tiptoes, I thrust the book up into his face.

"Obviously you can read this; what does it say?"

--------------------

Thoran

Really Nice Member

Member # 493

posted 11-16-2004 04:21 AM     Profile for Thoran   Author's Homepage   Email Thoran     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
“Well,” he said. “I could be wrong, you know, because I’m only going on something similar that I’ve seen before. But, from what I can determine by this brief, yet very informative, glimpse of the object, I’d say, in my professional opinion, that it is a book.”

Perhaps it was the murderous look in Galen’s eye that caused him to quickly add:

“But if you let me look through it, maybe I can make it out. The cover doesn’t really say anything. Can somebody take the Gray lump here?”

--------------------

Posts: 265 | From: Urbandale, IA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  Logged: 65.101.165.214
Panthar Dantares

Super Dooper Member

Member # 494

posted 11-16-2004 04:22 AM     Profile for Panthar Dantares   Author's Homepage   Email Panthar Dantares     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
“I can!” said Panthar, striding into the room with 4 sets of pilot suits in hand. “We found four of those suits, plus some other stuff that might be useful. Did Phalomir come back? How is Gray? Hey, what’s that book?”

--------------------

All I wanted was my name in a book...

Posts: 573 | From: North Liberty, IA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  Logged: 65.101.165.214
Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 11-16-2004 04:27 AM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"Or read this damned thing and tell us what it is!" I growled, never taking my eyes off of Phalomir's. I swear I could see something laughing the depths of those icy greens; it was all I could do to keep from hauling off and kicking him where the sun doesn't shine.

--------------------

Phalomir

Dark Lord of the Armorers

Member # 492

posted 11-16-2004 04:36 AM     Profile for Phalomir   Author's Homepage   Email Phalomir     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Phalomir struggled behind the power of Thoran. In a turn of events, he found himself trapped in his own mind, imprisoned by the same sort of magick that he had used upon Thoran. His will, his spirit, were now bound, and he was helpless.

No longer in control of his senses, he could only experience what his mind randomly threw his way. Bits of sound, images, smells, and sensations flitted by. He knew was still holding Jharmeen, he was still on the bridge, but that was about all he could tell.

Finally he stopped struggling. Without his magick there was little he could do, and perhaps if were still then more sensations would somehow come to him.

And more sensations did come.

An image of a book, held aloft to his face, flashed before him. A sudden familiarity rushed over him, and he suddenly felt very anxious. A sense of urgency came over him, and he doubled his efforts to break free. Still. He could not break his spirit out of the bonds, and his tormented screams echoed through the empty corner that Thoran had thrown him into.

Then he paused.

If Terrin were still here, perhaps he was still free. If he could somehow send a signal to him, maybe there was way he could help. His magick was gone, but he was still the Dark Lord of the Armorers, and the power vested upon him by the Symbol of Entitlement could possibly still be tapped into.

“Terrin!” he called out, trying to amplify the word through the power of his station. “Terrin! Help me!”

Outside, in the bridge, the fire in Galen’s eyes was intensified briefly by the flash of light from the tattoo on Phalomir’s face as it flickered and dimmed.

--------------------

From the days of past futures I come, make ready for the storm.

Posts: 863 | From: Urbandale, IA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  Logged: 65.101.165.214
Terrin Danner

Exceptional Salesman turned Really Nice Guy

Member # 110

posted 11-16-2004 04:46 AM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Look here, buddy, Terrin couldn't help but think to Thoran, fully knowing that the other entity could hear exactly what he was thinking, That's my wife's toes you are stepping on, and if I could kick you for her about now, I would.

Even as he thought this, Terrin then began to struggle forward in Phalomir's mind...

...only to be stopped short for a moment as he swore he heard words coming from another direction within Phalomir's mind...

...words which sounded alot like Phalomir's.

He managed to push forward enough through Thoran's hold on Phalomir's body to take control back. "This is Terrin again," he said then, "I think Phalomir's in trouble, I can here him..."

He trailed, his thoughts darkening. "And you can hear him too, can't you Thoran?"

[ 11-16-2004 04:47 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Terrin Danner ]

--------------------

"Where's the horns, flyboy?"
~~Galen
It is a far greater thing to live a life with purpose and risk death than to simply live.~~CMH

Posts: 1190 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 68.214.87.148
Panthar Dantares

Super Dooper Member

Member # 494

posted 11-16-2004 05:04 AM     Profile for Panthar Dantares   Author's Homepage   Email Panthar Dantares     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
“Phal’s in trouble?” asked Panthar, now beside Phalomir. Along the way he had dropped the suits off on a chair and was now lifting Jharmeen from Phalomir’s arms, gently skirting Galen. “Terrin? Are you in charge thee now? I swear, this is confusing. Catch me up, what the heck is going on? How is Gray here doing? Is Thoran gone? Are we ready to go? What’s with the weird book? It looks like a -- Oh my god, let me see that!”

He put Jharmeen back into Phalomir’s arms and anxiously held his hands to Galen, eyes wide and dissolving into puppy dog mode. A hopeful smile beamed towards Galen.

--------------------

Posts: 573 | From: North Liberty, IA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  Logged: 65.101.165.214
Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 11-16-2004 05:07 AM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"Huh?"

I blinked, taken quite aback. Suddenly the atmosphere had shifted a hundred and eighty degrees, from Thoran's dark and dire "whoa," to Panthar's gleaming eagerness to see what I held.

A bit numb by the sudden turn of events, I held the book out to him, and sidled closer, telling myself it was just to get as far away from Phalomir-cum-Thoran as I could, even though I knew Terrin was in there too.

But really, I was curious as hell to learn what that mysterious writing was saying....

[ 11-16-2004 05:07 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Galen ]

--------------------

Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 11-16-2004 05:11 AM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"Yeah, this is Terrin," Terrin reiterated for Panthar's sake, not particularly certain how to take his excitement over the book. "Nothing here has changed as far as Graysith...

...but I sure as kriffing hell hear Phalomir struggling in this head of his somewhere. I know he's in some sort of trouble..."

He trailed, a brow cocking as Panthar showed such great interest in that book. "And just what the hell does that book say already?"

[ 11-16-2004 05:15 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Terrin Danner ]

--------------------

~~Galen
It is a far greater thing to live a life with purpose and risk death than to simply live.~~CMH

Posts: 1190 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 68.214.87.148
Thoran

Really Nice Member

Member # 493

posted 11-16-2004 05:15 AM     Profile for Thoran   Author's Homepage   Email Thoran     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
“Darrin Tanner, we really must come to understanding of just WHO is in charge here. Of course Phalomir is in trouble, he is in a constant struggle with Aelvedaar. He is using every bit of his strength to maintain the shield he placed around Graysith. Now go back inside and play and leave the driving to the big people!”

Thoran blasted his way past Terrin, driving him harshly into the background. He sent a mind-numbing blast of magick into Terrin’s spirit, sending him reeling back into the dark recesses of Phalomir’s mind. If he could feel pain, Terrin’s head would have been spinning from the intensity. Instead, his spirit felt an oppressive crushing for a moment, then was surrounded in darkness.

[ 11-16-2004 05:18 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Thoran ]

--------------------

Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 11-16-2004 05:17 AM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
It was with something of an effort that I yanked my attention away from Panthar. Something about a puppy-eyed Sith was, well...

I jerked, and turned to Phalomir.

"What's wrong with him, Terrin?" I asked, knowing he knew I meant Phalomir.

"Can you try to reach him and find out? Call to him; maybe that will get through or something."

I fell silent with that, a little bit of discomfort coming over me. All this sharing of bodies was a bit nerve-wracking, to say the least; while I waited, I turned back to Panthar to hear what he had to say about the book.

--------------------

Thoran

Really Nice Member

Member # 493

posted 11-16-2004 05:22 AM     Profile for Thoran   Author's Homepage   Email Thoran     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
“Oh,” said Thoran, trying to imitate Terrin. “I think he’s having a tough time fighting Aelvedaar. Thoran is back trying to give Phal some help, since Thoran still has his magick. I’m supposed to try to take is easy here in charge and not let anything happen to us – Phal’s body, that is.”

--------------------

Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 11-16-2004 05:27 AM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
That brought me back full circle.

"And just what is that supposed to mean?" I growled, sidling up to Phalomir with murder in my heart and fire once again blazing in my eyes.

If there was anything I hated most in the universe, it was a terrible fake. And I could tell in a heartbeat this wasn't Terrin; by simple process of elimination, there could only be one particular personage who had just spoken.

"Mind digging around in there a tiny bit further, pal, and letting us in on what in Hell's Seven Circles is going on? Unless, of course, you're doing something inside Phal's head that you really oughtn't be doing...."

[ 11-16-2004 05:32 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Galen ]

--------------------

Panthar Dantares

Super Dooper Member

Member # 494

posted 11-16-2004 05:28 AM     Profile for Panthar Dantares   Author's Homepage   Email Panthar Dantares     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
“Thanks!” Panthar exclaimed.

He took the book gingerly from Galen’s hands and sat on a chair. He carefully opened the cover and turned a few pages.

“My, this is extremely well preserved,” he said, eyes not leaving the pages. “Where did you find this?”

As if forgetting that he asked a question, his finger pointed to a passage on a page and he yelped.

“That’s it! Oh, I wish I knew how to read Sith 10 years ago!”

He looked up, excited, and saw everyone looking at him.

“Now that I know how to read Sith, I can tell more about these runes. This is in a language similar to High Sith, but it’s different enough to be of particular interest. I studied this for a long time, thinking that there was a link to the runes I found on various planets and the old Jedi and Dark Jedi hocus pocus of the past – no offense, Shayla – but this confirms instead a link with the ancient Sith race itself! I’ll need a little time to look this over, but I might be able to glean some sort of information from it.”

He turned back to the book and mumbled.

“Yeah, here is a word from High Sith – or sort of, it’s similar to the word for ‘Messenger’, or ‘piss boy’ to be more exact. T’elion. Give me some time, OK?”

--------------------

Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 11-16-2004 05:30 AM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Terrin found himself suddenly reeling...

...and totally unable to regain control of Phalomir's body.

Phalomir? he called, struggling, Phalomir can you hear me?

Then he directed every amount of energy he could into regaining control of Phalomir's body once more, hoping to the gods that he could send Galen some sort of sign that all was not well. He didn't know just how successful he would be, seeing as Phalomr was apparently unable to regain control...

...but he was at least not expending a great amount of his energy keeping another person alive and away from harm, as Phalomir was.

For the barest of moments, Phalomir's eyes flashed blue...

"Trapped..." he whispered in a gasp, the blue then fading to green once more.

--------------------

~~Galen

Phalomir

Dark Lord of the Armorers

Member # 492

posted 11-16-2004 05:59 AM     Profile for Phalomir   Author's Homepage   Email Phalomir     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Phalomir felt the thump near him, as if something was thrown against a virtual wall.

“Terrin?” he called out. Then louder, his thoughts echoing throughout the darkness, he shouted “TERRIN! I AM HERE! HELP ME!”

--------------------

From the days of past futures I come, make ready for the storm.

Posts: 863 | From: Urbandale, IA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  Logged: 65.101.165.214
Panthar Dantares

Super Dooper Member

Member # 494

posted 11-17-2004 03:31 AM     Profile for Panthar Dantares   Author's Homepage   Email Panthar Dantares     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Panthar scanned the same page over and over, picking out the words that followed the trends of the Sith language, and trying to deduce the other symbols through his newly acquired knowledge of the Sith language and the memory of runes he had discovered in one other place. Something in the back of his mind wanted to come to the surface and make itself known, but stayed just out of reach.

Where have I seen these symbols before? Wait, this one, this symbol grouping has certain characteristics resembling the High Sith word for “antiquity” – the cave! Back when life was more or less normal, when I was a well-funded archaeologist exploring the caves on – oh, what planet was that? It seems so long ago now, but I remember that cave. And finding the Eye… That word was on the stone columns surrounding the skeleton.

DING!

Oh my, and I just remembered where I saw other words like this. Ohmygosh!

Panthar slammed the book shut and looked around. Hs eyes rested on Galen, staring up at Phalomir – or Thoran, actually. He was still holding Gray, tenderly, as if Thoran wasn’t completely in charge of the arms that supported her. Interesting.

But not as interesting as the memory that popped into his head.

“Um, guys? I think we really need to get going.”

No-one seemed to pay him much attention. Galen and Thoran still stared at each other like two rancors vying for dominance, Shayla and Eric looked on waiting to pick up the pieces of whoever lost, and the others were busy figuring out the suits. He sighed, pulled the cover off of a seat and wrapped up the book in it. He stood and walked to a portal and peered out at the morning sky.

The temple was in the near distance, looking much the same way it did the last time he was sitting in a ship waiting for people to be ready to move. The birds flew ovehead, just like before. The vines wound around the trees, just before. The trees gave way into a clearing, giving a clear path to the temple from the ship, just like before. Two rows of tuk’ata lined the path all the way to the temple, just like –

“Hey!” he cried out. “What in the kriffin’ name of womprat butts is going on here?”

[ 11-17-2004 03:31 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Panthar Dantares ]

--------------------

Jasyn Lancaster

One of the Crew, Technical (and Sith Brandy) Specialist

Member # 389

posted 11-18-2004 03:18 AM     Profile for Jasyn Lancaster   Author's Homepage   Email Jasyn Lancaster     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Jasyn, who had been in the process of finishing up getting into his new attire, was just intent enough on the conversation going on to realize that Thoran had done womething to Terrin...

...and that Panthar was now urgently suggesting that they haul rear.

Once he'd gotten his suit in order, he addressed the former first.

"Look, buddy!" he growled at Thoran, actually stepping forward and pointing a finger. "What the hell have you done with the Boss..."

He trailed a split second, "...with Terrin?!?" he then ammended. "You had better damn well not be pulling anything funny now."

He paused once more at this, trying to look as threatening as he possibly could, fire quite nearly shooting out of his ears. And in this silence, his ears registered Panthar's final words.

"Huh?" he asked, turning just enough to look in Panthar's direction...

...and just enough to see exactly what had grabbed Panthar's attention. "Oh hell," he muttered, his eyes going wide, "We are so dead..."

[ 11-18-2004 03:19 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Jasyn Lancaster ]

--------------------

"We don't need no stinkin' Jedi!"
"You gotta try some of this Sith brandy!"
"Ummm... Boss...?"
"Brandy, you're a fine girl..." (from "Brandy" by Looking Glass)

Posts: 577 | From: Everywhere and nowhere | Registered: Dec 2002  |  Logged: 68.214.87.148
Panthar Dantares

Super Dooper Member

Member # 494

posted 11-18-2004 03:54 AM     Profile for Panthar Dantares   Author's Homepage   Email Panthar Dantares     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Panthar stared at the columns of tuk’ata, all of them standing still and looking at the ship. They seemed to be moving their tentacles and mouths, as if they were all howling. His gaze followed the columns to the temple steps, where a huge – and very familiar looking – tuk’ata sat on its haunches, as if quietly waiting.

“We’re not dead,” said Panthar, a grin spreading on his face. “On the contrary, I think we’re being welcomed. That big guy on the steps, that’s my bud!”

--------------------

Terrin Danner

Member # 110

posted 11-18-2004 03:55 AM     Profile for Terrin Danner   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin Danner     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Help me! Terrin managed to hear from his prison within Phalomir's mind.

He struggled to send a thought back Phalomir's way, uncertain of whether he could be heard or not. I'm trapped here too now, he started, And everyone else is in trouble. Thoran is up to no good...

He trailed then, waiting to see what response, if any, he might receive...

--------------------

~~Galen

All times are CT
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05