my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » Leaving Orbit....   » Comet McNaught

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: Comet McNaught
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 01-10-2007 01:24 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, folks, we've had a comet hanging out there. Some of you might have been aware of this, some not. I thought I'd bring this information to you, direct from www.spaceweather.com

Space Weather News for Jan. 10, 2007 http://spaceweather.com

"Comet McNaught has continued to brighten as it approaches the sun and it is now the brightest comet in 30 years. For observers in the northern Hemisphere, tonight is probably the best time to see it: Go outside this evening and face the sunset. A clear view of the western horizon is essential, because the comet hangs very low. As the twilight fades to black, it should become visible to the naked eye. Observers say it's a fantastic sight through binoculars.

In the days ahead, Comet McNaught will pass the sun and emerge in good position for southern hemisphere viewing later this month. Meanwhile, solar heating will continue to puff up the comet, causing it to brighten even more. It could become one of the brightest comets in centuries, visible even in daylit skies."

Visit http://spaceweather.com for photos and updates.

Enjoy, and let us know if you saw it.

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.116.135
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 01-10-2007 05:53 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh WOW.

Needless to say, I just got back from viewing the comet. WOWZA, it's a purty, BRIGHT one! First thing I saw when I got outside, low in the western sky, just as the sun was disappearing was... you guessed it.

Comet McNaught. So, SO pretty, its tail a nice orangey color since I was seeing it through so much atmosphere. But BRIGHT, BRIGHT BRIGHT. Sheesh, ya can't miss it! It looked to be nearly as bright as Venus, just fatter; and binoculars brought out it's nice, plump tail.

Neat, neat comet!!

Wow.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.116.135
Mara1Jade

Expanded Universe Goddess and Corran Obsessor

Member # 68

posted 01-10-2007 09:15 PM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I wonder if it would be too bright here to see it. Probably, grrr.

--------------------

Small minds think in small terms!
~~CMH, creator and writer of Shayla Petrolu, Erik Kartan, Shawn Petrolu, Terrin Danner, Jasyn Lancaster, Matt Stanza, Aaron Barnes, And Taylor Garrison~~

Posts: 972 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 68.214.87.148
Thea Morgan

Member # 349

posted 01-10-2007 09:21 PM     Profile for Thea Morgan   Author's Homepage   Email Thea Morgan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ack forests and mountains means nothing low can be seen.... We need some flat places around here.

--------------------

All I want is to be a Jedi.

Posts: 172 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2002  |  Logged: 74.33.244.84
Siratne

Member # 822

posted 01-10-2007 11:20 PM     Profile for Siratne   Author's Homepage   Email Siratne     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmm, been far to cloudy and stormy here lately for me to see anything in the sky...shame, i would leally have liked to see it...darn artic storm blowing through california :\

--------------------

There is a careful balance to the world. Between light and dark...I walk the tightrope.

Posts: 16 | From: | Registered: Dec 2006  |  Logged: 24.182.10.147
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 01-13-2007 06:20 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Straight from Spaceweather.com:

"Observers around the world are reporting that Comet McNaught is now visible in
broad daylight. The comet is very close to the sun, so it is tricky to find. If
you want to try, here's how to do it: Go outside and stand in the shadow of a
building so that the glare of the sun is blocked out. Make a fist and hold it
at arm's length. The comet is about one fist-width east of the sun.

This weekend is a special time for Comet McNaught because it is making its
closest approach to the sun. Solar heat causes the comet to vaporize furiously
and brighten to daytime visibility. McNaught is now the brightest comet in more
than 40 years, and it may become the brightest in centuries."

OK GUYS, ITS STILL OUT THERE. YOU CAN SEE IT DURING THE DAY... so if you have clear skies go out just WHENEVER and follow the directions above. MAKE CERTAIN THE ENTIRE SUN IS HIDDEN BY WHATEVER BUILDING YOU CHOOSE TO USE TO BLOCK IT.

DAMN, we too have a major winter system blowing through this weekend, GRRRR, so I won't get to see it during the day over this weekend. And to tell the truth I'm not certain if it's already passed behind the sun yet or not, I'd have to check that out. I do know that eventually it's orbit will be taking it to where the southern hemisphere will have a great look at it; but follow the above procedure and you can see it before it goes bye bye.

On a different note, today I discovered the joys of hiking in the winter: it was 14 degrees with on and off again snow and sleet. I hiked a level trail that followed the Raccoon River (did maybe 4-5 miles overall) and saw downy woodpeckers, nuthatches, squirrels, a fox, TONS AND TONS of deer, an osprey and a bald eagle. SEVERAL time on that bald eagle and osprey; they were "patrolling" the section of the river I was hiking along, really neat.

Found a place where the beaver had all been busy little, well, "beavers," hehe; they'd chewed down a bunch of saplings and smaller trees and made a little lodge down next to the river. What was the coolest thing was hearing the ice slushing and creaking along as the river carried it; I've never hiked in the winter before, and if you dress for it so you're warm and don't have to worry about THAT you discover there is really a different kind of beauty in the woods at this time of year.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 12.216.67.77

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05