my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Star Wars Discussion   » TPM & Original Trilogy   » The Technology of the Original Trilogy.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: The Technology of the Original Trilogy.
Sa'kal'ishaalas

Member # 532

posted 06-21-2005 06:08 PM     Profile for Sa'kal'ishaalas   Author's Homepage   Email Sa'kal'ishaalas     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've been watching the orginal series a bunch lately, and all of the weapons and and gadgets from the movie look so cool. They may have been put together from various parts, but they look so much more, interesting, than the parts from the second trilogy. The technology seems further back in the original trilogy, but thats probably just because in the second trilogy they made everything from casts and with professional and expensive props.

I was wondering what everyone here thought about the props. (Ok, I know this isn't great subject matter, but I'm kinda bored, and I'm watching Episode IV as I type this, and I realized how much more I like the way the gadgets look in the original trilogy)

Posts: 173 | From: | Registered: May 2004  |  Logged: 69.233.49.126
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 07-04-2005 03:31 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hehe... the lightsabers were simple camera flash "holders" (I can't remember what they are called, sheesh!) with some gadgets and gewgaws super-glued to them.

I think the reason that they are more appealing than the higher tech stuff in EP 1-3 is because they DO look more "home-made," and after all, a jedi is supposed to make his own lightsaber now, isn't he?

I agree, Sa'ak, 100%!!

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.116.196
Major-Konig

Idealistic Jedi

Member # 597

posted 07-05-2005 01:04 PM     Profile for Major-Konig   Author's Homepage   Email Major-Konig     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I am almost positive it's Graflex flash-holders is what they used to make the saber hilts, coupled with many doodads to make it look 'real'

--------------------

The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.

Posts: 241 | From: Pennsylvania USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  Logged: 24.238.52.61
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 07-05-2005 01:38 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah... and I know that one of the "extras" that was glued onto them was cut-off pieces of windshield wiper blades. That's what made the grip of Luke's lightsaber, I think.

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.116.202
Sa'kal'ishaalas

Member # 532

posted 07-18-2005 03:54 PM     Profile for Sa'kal'ishaalas   Author's Homepage   Email Sa'kal'ishaalas     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I believe that at the following website is where you can find out how they built the original lightsabers. Maybe he just made them to look real, but they do look like the ones from the original trilogy.

http://www.jedi-academy.com/lightsabermain.html

Posts: 173 | From: | Registered: May 2004  |  Logged: 69.233.49.126
Dash Kelderon

On the Road to Redemption

Member # 427

posted 03-25-2006 10:13 AM     Profile for Dash Kelderon   Author's Homepage   Email Dash Kelderon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
In actual fact Han and Leia's blasters were just "suped" up versions of old World War II german pistols. As was the Stormtrooper Tripod cannon.

--------------------

Those 2 guys may be IDIOTS... but they think the same way I do!

Posts: 655 | From: M.I,A | Registered: Feb 2003  |  Logged: 156.34.195.241

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05