my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Star Wars Discussion   » Episode 2 & 3   » Episode Three Title

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: Episode Three Title
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-01-2004 06:07 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, just a thought now, but...

Who else besides me thinks the title, "Revenge of the Sith," is a bit silly for the up-coming Episode Three SW movie? I mean really, think about it... what "revenge?"

Weren't the Sith creeping out of hiding, so to speak, wrangling to take over the Empire? Or was that the Empire itself was getting stronger and stronger, aided under the table by the Sith?

I think it doesn't make any sense; there is no "revenge" involved at all, as far as I can see. (Unless I've gone suddenly blind, which has been known to happen, heh.)

Nope, I think something like "Victory of the Empire" or something along that line would have been a far better title than the one Lucas came up with.

Thoughts?

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.253.7
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 08-01-2004 06:43 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
well, it could be the revenge for them being all but unheard of...who knows..

honestly, im not to impressed with lucas on the new trillogy so far. a new hope. empire strikes back, Return of the jedi. Those 3 are immortal movies in my mind. some of the greatest movies in existance.

But so far, the new trillogy has left soemthing to be desired...

Phantom menace was like "wow...aside from that final battle with maul and Obi-wan This movie didnt have much to it"

well, you did learn about were luke gets his annoying side(young anakin was annoying)

Attack of the clones was slightly better. But again, it fell down to one battle, Yoda vs. the Count.

I honestly had though he had given up hope and stopped making movies, as untill this title release i hadnt heard anything about it for some time.

Cause i really dont know how he's going to fix the mistakes he's made in ep. 1&2 and bind this trillogy together with the original.
THough he might not, as none of the new kids out there even watch the old trillogy. So he's probably hoping to pull a slider, if he does though, im going to be quite upset.

*sigh*

It really is sad. That future generations will grow up thinking "wow, starwars sucks. These three movies are the worst movies i've ever seen" without knowing the true glory of the starwars past...
Hopefuly the books will continue to bring honor to the starwars universe...

sorry for suddenly appearing and babling. But i feel very strongly about this subjected....

*bows*

--------------------

"Insert Snappy quote here"

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 4.14.177.61
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-02-2004 04:52 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hello, Entaris!! So nice to see you back again!

And I must agree with you in many ways. Yup-- the latter two movies, much like many coming out of Hollywood these days, were seemingly nothing but very simple plots wrapped around action-glitz and special effects. I mean, wow, Episode 1 was mainly just an introduction to Anakin, and his first meeting with Padme. Okay, and Palpatine gets his political toe in the door.

Episode 2 followed through with the obvious (wow they sure fell in love fast, didn't they) -- not to mention, what's with this "attack" bit of the clones? Weren't the clones supposed to be on the side of the good? I mean, theoretically... but then, I guess the artificially manipulated setup here was just to foment unrest and insecurity so Palpatine could rise to power and eventually become Emperor.

But I agree: "The Empire Strikes Back" had to be the best of the Star Wars movies so far. Heh... back when they didn't have all the fancy computer generated effects they had to rely on script, didn't they? Not to mention character development (aka, Han Solo's and Chewie's sky-rocketing popularity!)

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.116.198
Dashawn E'bnnwing

Member # 548

posted 08-04-2004 12:49 AM     Profile for Dashawn E'bnnwing   Author's Homepage   Email Dashawn E'bnnwing     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
does anyone but me remember the trilogy? I mean, seriously, they were fantastic, but the being of them then wasnt the plot or story arc. It was the fantastic feeling of being in the Star Wars galaxy, the feelings, the visual art. Lucas Art never produced poetic words and thing that would be memorable in terms of wording just by itself.

In the 70s and early 80s there wasnt anything as magical as the scenes that were produced in the Star Wars trilogy. The Visual frame of things produced the flavor that everyone loves today. Though certian portion of acting did manage to stand on its own as great, it was as superb as the simple visuals.

Lucas Arts has a knack for bringing what is in his mind to life and making the audience feel it. The only lackluster I find is the fan base nowadays from the past looking down on such miniscule things. Yes, I do find the title stupid, dumb and not even a fabric of exciting, but the action and visual art of this whole series is what has brought it to the forefront of the culture.

And Entaris, I hope you were exaggerating because if you weren't I think you really have a problem in grasping reality. The movies werent anywhere as bad as people claim they were. They were exciting, had battles and the visuals were mindblowing, especially in the last of the prequels.

This one coming up I have kept my eye on and alot of news has come from it. How well they are managing to put things together is incredible. What I've seen myself has shown me that the dark atmosphere is chilling and Anakin is no longer our loveable, but somewhat tempered child. He is a grown Jedi Knight with an anger ready to boil and crush every single person in the galaxy.

The fight with him and Obi-Wan Kenobi, that we all knew was going to happen, is probably the biggest of the probably 10 fights that roll throughout the movie. If you guys can't understand that the action and visual affects are the biggest power of these movies (yes trilogy and prequel) then I think you shouldn't even waste your money watching the upcoming ending of the prequel.

--------------------

"Abo are sooo...ugly!"-Dashawn

Posts: 31 | From: Unknown | Registered: Jun 2004  |  Logged: 24.10.39.177
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-04-2004 05:31 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Slow down -- some of us do enjoy more than the eye candy when we go to a movie. Mind-shattering special effects or not, it takes a plot and good characters to make a movie truly memorable, or classic.

I think this entire set of twin trilogies is definitely a classic simply because it's the first attempt to present a storyline in such a manner: a centrally-oriented opening which leads the viewer into the whole intrigue, and then the explanatory prequel showing us what is hinted at in that central opening sequence of movies.

I'm glad Lucas isn't going for his original idea of 9 movies in this series, as the "flavor" -- as it is mentioned -- would thoroughly be lost. We would then be away from the main plot and loose to fly in the Star Wars universe (which I suppose is what we do here with our role play, isn't it?). However, this might just be too much for us diehards who adhere to the "beginning," and want to see more of that, and the "founding characters."

I well remember the Original Trilogy. It was awesome, and eye candy aside, Episode 5 still ranks as the best one as far as plot movement, character development, and just general atmosphere goes. It was, after all, just about the only movie (that I can think of) that DIDN'T have a happy ending, where the good guys won and rode off triumphant into the sunset. The whole episode was dark and chilling in a subtle, insidious manner, and presented in a way that left the viewer filled with said darkness and chills when he or she left the theater -- not to mention definitely wanting more.

THIS trilogy, Episodes 1-3 are different; we might want more, but not because we "need to know!!!" what is going to happen. We already know that; all we're in for is the eye candy, the simple presentation of known events to come.

There is a difference.

[ 08-04-2004 05:37 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.116.198
patternghost

Ghostly, just ghostly

Member # 477

posted 08-05-2004 03:23 PM     Profile for patternghost   Author's Homepage   Email patternghost     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree that the special effects of all Star Wars movies have been incredible. The original set of movies introduced tons of new special effects, probably even more so than the current series, since the original series took the movie industry leaps and bounds over what was previously possible.

But however good the current series is with special effects and action, I agree that it just doesn’t have the “magic” that the old series did. You need a lot more than action, you need character development and plot. If just want action, then go watch a kung fu movie or play a video game.

I’m not saying the new series is bad. They are developing the character of Obi Wan quite well, and I like the way that Palpatine is maneuvering his plans on a grand scale. But much of the rest of it seems forced, so to speak. I mean, the droids don’t even need to be in the story at this point, they are almost distracting. And the whole deal with Anakin’s mother is another thing that seems oddly convenient.

Anyway, back to the original topic! Yes, “Revenge of the Sith” is a stupid title.

--------------------

When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there

Posts: 261 | From: North Liberty, IA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  Logged: 165.206.168.29
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-05-2004 06:30 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well... the thing with Anakin's mother was necessary, I think. That was pretty much the first event to lead him down the road to the dark side. I mean, he got super pissed and killed off the entire lot of Tusken Raiders, out of vengeance, which is something a jedi really oughtn't to do.

But yeah, the droids were silly enough in these episodes. I think they were forced into play just as another means of connecting the first three episodes with the middle. I too think they could have been left out entirely, and more focus placed on the development of Anakin's shadowy side. They're doing this with Palpatine, after all, so why not place more emphasis on the one destined to become Darth Vader?

OK, here we go, then. Ideas for what they SHOULD have named Episode 3? Or maybe the entire first three episodes...?

Hmmm... Ep. 3, the "Triumph of the Sith." Or, the "Rise of the Sith." Or how about, "A Shadow Falls."

Ep. 2, "The Coming of the Night."

Ep. 1 (who can remember back that far, sheesh), "Seeds of the Shadows."

There. Those are my suggestions, in perfect 20-20 hindsight.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.253.7
patternghost

Ghostly, just ghostly

Member # 477

posted 08-06-2004 02:36 PM     Profile for patternghost   Author's Homepage   Email patternghost     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The mother thing: I’ll agree it was necessary to do something to show the dark side coming through, but the whole thing with the dreams and rushing off to Tatooine and getting there just after she was taken and arriving just in time to see her die was just too contrived for me. They could have done much better.

As for titles, how about “Rise of the Empire”.

--------------------

When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there

Posts: 261 | From: North Liberty, IA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  Logged: 165.206.168.21
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 08-08-2004 01:42 AM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As was mentioned befor. The special affects of the first trillagy were awsome. But i never liked them for that. I was always enthralled with unfolding story.

I mean, the line "luke, look deep within yourself, you know it to be true... I am... Your father" still sends chills down my spine.

And i think one of the best scenes movies have ever had, was when anakin returned to the light, and say's "take of my helmet, just once, i want to see you with my own eyes"

That and the wholesom characters such as Han solo and Chewie... The new series just doesnt have that. There are no characters that you fall in love with like those two.

As for the droids, they mess the story up bad, i cant wait to see how they explain obi-wan not remembering R2-D2. and also that C3 doesnt say "hey, i was made by a skywalker" But thats just a pet peave

The thing that dissapoints me, is that there just isnt as patternsaid, "the magic"

*cry's* I feel so abandoned. On the bright side. while starwars movies become less magical, the games are becoming more magical

Course, that is a very small comfort in the scheme of things... Hmm... I want to watch return of the jedi now... *wishes he had a copy of the trillogy*

--------------------

"Insert Snappy quote here"

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 4.14.178.149
Sa'kal'ishaalas

Member # 532

posted 08-29-2004 03:29 PM     Profile for Sa'kal'ishaalas   Author's Homepage   Email Sa'kal'ishaalas     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, Revenge of the Sith makes sense, but it isn't a very good title. The Sith, as most of us should know, fought the Jedi and Old Republic thousands of years before the current movies. But each time the Sith forces failed in key battles and the Sith were forced to stay in hiding. With Palpatine aka Sidious controlling the Old Republic and his apprentice controlling the Separtist forces, Palpatine is able to begin a full scale war. With the war, he has emergency powers to do what he wishes with. He eventually transforms the Old Republic into the Empire, with the Imperial Senate (Leia was an Imperial Senator, remember?). Later the Imperial Senate was closed due to its inefficancy. But back to my point, there was also the Jedi Purge, which must start in the third movie as the Sith rise to power and get revenge on their oldest enemies the Jedi. Hence the name Revenge of the Sith.
Posts: 173 | From: | Registered: May 2004  |  Logged: 67.164.11.178

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05