my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Star Wars Discussion   » Episode 2 & 3   » Ugly Hand

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: Ugly Hand
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 08-16-2002 10:41 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That golden sparkled, artifical hand that had been attched to Anakin's body is ugly. Do you think they will remake it to look more realistical, then robotic?

--------------------

"I am here to redeem myself. See, The Fate of the universe lies in my hands! I will take up the challenge!"

-Lumbia Whitfield

Posts: 1143 | From: In space... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 12.213.76.134
TheKnot

Member # 213

posted 08-16-2002 10:55 PM     Profile for TheKnot   Author's Homepage   Email TheKnot     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think the point of the artificial hand's ugliness is to be realistic. After all, the story takes place decades before Luke's artificial hand (must run in the family).

--------------------

Take President 'Dubya' Bush and cut him in two. On the left side, there will be nothing right and on the right side, there will be nothing left.

Posts: 204 | From: Maryland | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 68.50.185.134
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 08-16-2002 10:56 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ugly hand stuff.....ewwww; I am disgusted to see one of my favorite characters with an ugly hand

--------------------

"I am here to redeem myself. See, The Fate of the universe lies in my hands! I will take up the challenge!"

-Lumbia Whitfield

Posts: 1143 | From: In space... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 12.213.76.134
Mara1Jade

Expanded Universe Goddess and Corran Obsessor

Member # 68

posted 08-16-2002 11:04 PM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anakin made the hand himself, according to what I've heard. And I think it's a hint as to him becoming "more machine now than man." It's symbolic of the change he's going through mentally.

--------------------

Small minds think in small terms!
~~CMH, creator and writer of Shayla Petrolu, Erik Kartan, Shawn Petrolu, Terrin Danner, Jasyn Lancaster, Matt Stanza, Aaron Barnes, And Taylor Garrison~~

Posts: 980 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 65.80.105.3
TheKnot

Member # 213

posted 08-16-2002 11:13 PM     Profile for TheKnot   Author's Homepage   Email TheKnot     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ouch. Must've hurt as he stuck each mechanical part on his stump, even if he's "good at fixing things." Wonder if used a sedative...

--------------------

Take President 'Dubya' Bush and cut him in two. On the left side, there will be nothing right and on the right side, there will be nothing left.

Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 08-16-2002 11:49 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
ok, as for theknots's post 'it must run in the family' you see that in REturn of the jedi, as look cuts of vaders hand, the same hand that vader cut off of him, and it is robotic, rather then flesh, so in this movie it really shouldnt come as a big serprise that he gets hishand cut off... and as for the "ugly" part of it, you really dont see it well in the movie, and it is fairly knew, perhaps he just did some quick job and hadnt finished puting like plating or something on it to make it look more apeasing, or maybe it looks fine, it looked kinda like it was intended to be artistic from my point of view, all goldish and sparkly...

[ 08-16-2002 11:50 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Entaris ]

--------------------

"Insert Snappy quote here"

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.219.51.68
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 08-16-2002 11:49 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It would of been funny if Ben Skywalker would have been born without a right hand... heh...
Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 65.80.161.181
TheKnot

Member # 213

posted 08-17-2002 12:31 AM     Profile for TheKnot   Author's Homepage   Email TheKnot     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Er...thats not what I meant.

Don't you think its a coincidence that Anakin loses his right hand, and later his son Luke ALSO loses his right hand?

--------------------

Mara1Jade

Expanded Universe Goddess and Corran Obsessor

Member # 68

posted 08-17-2002 12:35 AM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think the Star Wars term is Destiny.

--------------------

Small minds think in small terms!
~~CMH, creator and writer of Shayla Petrolu, Erik Kartan, Shawn Petrolu, Terrin Danner, Jasyn Lancaster, Matt Stanza, Aaron Barnes, And Taylor Garrison~~

Posts: 980 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 65.80.105.3
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 08-17-2002 01:09 AM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Maybe is was a temporary hand while the realistic hand was being made. Maybe he wanted to rush to be married. If I'm wrong, then chances are he becomes Darth very soon into Episode 3 because he can't really do a whole lot with a hand like that...

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 12.220.189.75
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 08-17-2002 01:35 AM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thats what Im thinking, Im jus thoping he changes his hand because I dont wanna see no Jedi with a ugly hand fighting bad guys......just not pretty

--------------------

-Lumbia Whitfield

Narcolm

Member # 222

posted 08-17-2002 11:49 AM     Profile for Narcolm   Author's Homepage   Email Narcolm     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I rather liked the shiney gold thing. Though I think it definatly will remain mechanical looking to juxtapose his physical change with his emotional pyschological change.

--------------------

Rathal

(I AM turning to the Darkside)

"There's room at the top they're telling you still, but first you must learn how to smile as you kill."

Posts: 74 | From: See Rahthal | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 64.12.103.181
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 08-17-2002 05:06 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just hope it turns into a more realistical shaped hand. Its ugly to me, very ugly

--------------------

-Lumbia Whitfield

Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 08-17-2002 07:12 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
umm...brodie-wan, thats exactly what i was implying, that was evedent in the original trilligy, if you look at vaders hand, its mechanical, as if he had already lost that hand before, thats the purpose of what the had shown in EP 2, to show that yes indeed, his hand was mechanical, so father and son alike lose the same hand.

--------------------

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.219.72.169
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 08-17-2002 07:23 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I wonder if this'll change Anakin's attitude toward fighting, and might do what his master says...but you know him, he'll never do that

--------------------

-Lumbia Whitfield

Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 08-18-2002 12:14 AM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Heh, anakin? change? only for the bette- i mean worse that is...

--------------------

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.219.72.226
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 08-18-2002 08:46 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
How did this thread get somehow to Anakin and his side...must have been Entaris fault, lol j/k

eeeeeeep!

--------------------

-Lumbia Whitfield

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-18-2002 09:35 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I believe the hand is such as it is because the technology hasn't advanced to the state of where it will be when Luke is a young man and uses his hand. Quite probably somewhere along the way, the "more than mechanical, less than man" Vader will have the hand replaced by a newer model

Also, I tend to agree that the hand, being ugly, currently represents his own deep-seated view of himself, probably because he couldn't save his mother.

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.199.176
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 08-18-2002 11:58 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, but I wonder if Anakin ever noticed that going to the Darkness would only create turmoil toward the ones he loved if they were to be around. I wonder if he ever looked back at Padme, noticing that if she was alive she wouldn't approve of it. Thats something that I just feel would take him back to his senses....

--------------------

-Lumbia Whitfield

Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 08-22-2002 09:30 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
thats why mister palpatine makes him believe she isnt around anymore, because he knows thats the one silver stake in the ground that would bind anakin to the lightside for all eternity, but should that stake be shattered...he would fall away from the light with unbelievable speed...

--------------------

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.225.96.24
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 08-23-2002 08:58 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Even if he knew she was gone, wouldn't he feel regret that she is looking down at him kill out of anger instead of help.....

--------------------

-Lumbia Whitfield

Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 08-23-2002 10:00 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
palpatine is the master of charisma though, he may be old as heck, and ugly as F*** but he sure can convince people of things...

--------------------

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.227.22.46

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05