my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Star Wars Discussion   » Episode 2 & 3   » Did Obi-Wan touch the Darkside in Ep1?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: Did Obi-Wan touch the Darkside in Ep1?
BobPalpatine

Foo Fighter

Member # 17

posted 09-17-2000 06:33 PM     Profile for BobPalpatine   Author's Homepage   Email BobPalpatine     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok...Obi-Wan's standing there waiting to unleash some whoop ass on Darth Maul right? Then his father like figure gets killed. This guy means to the world to OB1 so he goes out and releases some major whoop ass. He seems he's upset and mad over this and he has hatred for Darth Maul...so isn't that of the darkside?

Do you think that he brushed the darkside?

------------------
[monger=ff0000,ffff00]I'm from the Lou and I'm proud...[/monger]

BobPalpatine
Holonet Moderator

Posts: 681 | From: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  Logged: 204.184.55.144
RedMirax

Member # 56

posted 09-17-2000 06:37 PM     Profile for RedMirax   Author's Homepage   Email RedMirax     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I actually had the same thoughts, B. It did look like he was taking some anger and revenge out on DM. Was that any different than Luke coming unhinged when dear old dad mentioned turning his twin to the darkside?

Good question, B!!!!

------------------
Who needs TK? Corran has EVERYTHIG else!!!

Posts: 42 | From: Dallas,Tx | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 64.217.249.134
BobPalpatine

Foo Fighter

Member # 17

posted 10-10-2000 11:38 PM     Profile for BobPalpatine   Author's Homepage   Email BobPalpatine     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
C'mon peeps...you have to have ideas on this...right?

------------------
[monger=ff0000,ffff00]I'm from the Lou and I'm proud...[/monger]

BobPalpatine
Holonet Moderator

Posts: 681 | From: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  Logged: 204.184.54.3
Mara1Jade

Expanded Universe Goddess and Corran Obsessor

Member # 68

posted 10-28-2001 11:10 PM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, I think he might have touched the Dark Side. Star Wars is so hellbent on defining the lines, but JEEZ, the poor guy just saw his master killed before his eyes by a REALLY NASTY EVIL SITH. Jedi or not, how else was he supposed to react?

And even if he *did* touch the Dark Side, can any of us argue that the action he took at that time WASN'T the appropriate one? And how the heck could the guy possibly remain TOTALLY CALM AND LOGICAL in the midst of what was happening?

So did he touch the Darkside..yeah. But was this really wrong, or was it a natural reaction that resulted in an appropriate response? Yes.

--------------------

Small minds think in small terms!
~~CMH, creator and writer of Shayla Petrolu, Erik Kartan, Shawn Petrolu, Terrin Danner, Jasyn Lancaster, Matt Stanza, Aaron Barnes, And Taylor Garrison~~

Posts: 972 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 66.20.157.210
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 10-29-2001 07:08 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
But remember: both Obi-Wan and Luke were padawans, too. No Masters they. Makes me wonder what Qui-Gon would have done, how he would have reacted, were the roles reversed.

And, hmmm... dead is dead. So what is the crux here? The mood of the killer at the time the deed is done, or the deed itself? (OK, self-defense I KNOW, I KNOW!)

Another thought: right or wrong, you have to admit power comes from rage. Maybe without that additional oomph Obi-Wan would not have had the strength to overcome Maul. Heh... takes the Dark to destroy the Dark, don't ya know!

[ 10-29-2001 07:09 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.102.152
Mara1Jade

Expanded Universe Goddess and Corran Obsessor

Member # 68

posted 10-29-2001 09:29 AM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah, I've always wondered if they could have succeeded without the "little extra oomph!

Qui-Gon I suspect, if the roles were reversed, MIGHT HAVE reacted in a similiar fashion, but I'm not sure. It seems to me that he tended to go against the grain.

And in the case of Luke, Obi-Wan, and Vader. I'm suspecting that we'll see Obi-Wan realize the evil that Darthy has turned to by Episode III and have to face that he MIGHT have to duel him and destroy him at some point. I'm a non-spoiler person so I have NO IDEA, but I'm betting Obi-Wan won't be able to kill Darthy either. Which is why he doesn't tell Luke that Vader is his father.

Kinda hard to kill a guy you have that sort of attatchment to. Everyone knew that Luke really was interested in the Father that he didn't know.

Hey look, now I'm rambling. LOL

--------------------

Small minds think in small terms!
~~CMH, creator and writer of Shayla Petrolu, Erik Kartan, Shawn Petrolu, Terrin Danner, Jasyn Lancaster, Matt Stanza, Aaron Barnes, And Taylor Garrison~~

Posts: 972 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 66.20.157.210
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 10-29-2001 07:01 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Er... we kinda already know that Obi-Wan couldn't kill Darthy... since Darthy killed him in Episode 4.

Heh....

Fades to smirk n' lurk.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.105.189
BobPalpatine

Foo Fighter

Member # 17

posted 12-08-2001 01:04 PM     Profile for BobPalpatine   Author's Homepage   Email BobPalpatine     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think ole Ben did have a chance against Vader but ole Ben knew that if he lost it could have consequences so he gave up so that Luke would grow stronger and he could still help Luke.

I think his plan all along was to get chopped down by Vader and I'm willing to be that Vader was a lil spooked by the old man disappearing when he sliced him down...

"I will be stronger than you can ever imagine."

--------------------

"Can't you hear my motored heart? Your the one that started it!"

-Foo Fighters "Generator"

Cogito ergo sum

BobPalpatine
Holonet Admin

Posts: 681 | From: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  Logged: 204.184.51.245
ObiWanKenobi

unregistered

posted 12-20-2001 01:42 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ah, Duh! Obi-Wan wanted to get killed for two reasons, 1) To save Luke and all that junk..... 2) To end his very sad miserable life! I mean, really, his master was killed in front of his own two eyes, and then the apprentice that HE DID NOT WANT turned and killed him! I, mean, I would want to go on the Death Star, I bet, obi-1 knew about the whole DYE ON THE DEATH STAR thing, anyway.
Thanks for reading my rambling!

Logged: 63.25.37.247
Lord_Andromeda

Member # 184

posted 05-12-2002 11:22 AM     Profile for Lord_Andromeda   Author's Homepage   Email Lord_Andromeda     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I wonder if luke and OB1 didnt have that rage build in them, and touch the darkside would they of won?

I also think that he could of killed vader - as he's the reason why he gets his suit. OB1 was fighting to kill vader, and vader fell during this battle. He could of killed him in EP3 - but we'll just have to wait and see

Posts: 68 | From: Matleth | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 213.48.235.75
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 05-12-2002 12:40 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ah, my. All this heavy pondering on "light side" and "dark side;" should the Force be used out of rage to overcome the foe, yet at the risk of corrupting oneself???

Raises brow.

Now, if they'd all just get their collective acts together and realize what is in themselves vs what ought to happen for the greater good, they would have my "All" at their command and wouldn't have to sweat bullets so much!

Grins, then fades to lurk n' smirk, chuckling slightly under breath....

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.192.161
Za'in Kenobi

Member # 183

posted 05-12-2002 02:55 PM     Profile for Za'in Kenobi   Author's Homepage   Email Za'in Kenobi     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I dont think he reached the dark side because of his reaction, he probably didn't even touch it. Remember, you have to have hate, pain, and suffering. He only had hate and pain at the moment, and suffering hadn't come for all that I see at the end. He was very calm, and much like his master in the situation, maybe inside suffering had come, but not much I believe, as he knows that would throw him to the Dark Side.

And here comes another question, what would happen if Anakin didn't go to the dark side, and Obi-Wan did? haah, weird concept huh?

--------------------

Star Wars: Dark Apprentice: Episode I

Anakin trains under the look of Obi, meanwhile a Apprentice of the Darkness has faded away into the depths of light, heading for the one who killed Maul. What shall happen?

Posts: 91 | From: Behind a girl name rebecca while she bends down, with a smile on my face as she | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 12.246.169.9
Rykounagin

Son of Conflict

Member # 531

posted 02-12-2005 04:07 PM     Profile for Rykounagin   Author's Homepage   Email Rykounagin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
following the SWRPG rules, and they actually listed how hit happened:
A) Uses 3 Force points to deal whup ass damage on the dark side of the force.
B) Uses a Force point on the light side to kill him.
C) Atones all gained Dark side points for winning and going to help qui gon.

--------------------

"I'm not afraid to keep on living, I'm not afraid to walk this world alone;" -Black Parade

Posts: 869 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  Logged: 70.56.6.223
Takeshi Kovacs

Member # 602

posted 03-13-2005 07:43 AM     Profile for Takeshi Kovacs   Author's Homepage   Email Takeshi Kovacs     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And going back to anikan and obi-wan, obi wan does relieze it eventually, and I know what happens and how vader become vader, and so should everyone else if they have read the boks. I think it is in the original trilogy, but not in the movie, just hte books.

--------------------

Don't bother to hide from me. I will find you. I am everywhere. There is nowhere you can't be found.

One way or another Revenge will be mine. And when revenge comes, it will be sweet.

Posts: 75 | From: | Registered: Feb 2005  |  Logged: 204.144.239.133

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05