my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » General Discussion   » Ghosts

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: Ghosts
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-28-2005 04:54 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Do you believe in ghosts? Why?

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.116.196
Rykounagin

Son of Conflict

Member # 531

posted 09-28-2005 05:00 PM     Profile for Rykounagin   Author's Homepage   Email Rykounagin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Interesting question. Many people believe many things for different reasons. Some say there is proof that others would call folly. I personally wont comment on this, but I think I could give a guess at what GS here would say!

--------------------

"I'm not afraid to keep on living, I'm not afraid to walk this world alone;" -Black Parade

Posts: 869 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  Logged: 71.208.77.190
Xenn

Member # 669

posted 09-28-2005 06:18 PM     Profile for Xenn   Author's Homepage   Email Xenn     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I guess i do, i mean, yea, i do. and as a matter of fact. aliens too. go aliens.

as for the reason why...

Planets, the unvierse is endless. theres gotta be another living thing out there. and what we should be afraid of is not them. but THIER ghosts, because damn. god cant let everything into heaven!!

Posts: 127 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Jun 2005  |  Logged: 68.171.61.130
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 10-03-2005 11:46 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree that there is life in the universe other than what we have here on Earth, and more than likely there is other intelligent life as well. (I do NOT believe that we will ever meet, physics says "no" at the moment, and even if we could go faster than light it would still take forever to get anywhere out there...)

I would like to scoff at the idea of ghosts, but I have had too many weird things happen to me here and there throughout my life. So while I can't prove their existence, neither can I really deny it. I guess I "believe" in "them," not understanding just what the "them" really is -- I mean, whether it's an actual spirit or just some kind of residual energy, who knows. I just know there is more out there than we know of, and just because I can't prove something doesn't mean it's automatically disproven.

It just isn't verified.

There you have it!

[ 10-03-2005 11:47 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 12.216.67.77
Sa'kal'ishaalas

Member # 532

posted 10-04-2005 11:09 PM     Profile for Sa'kal'ishaalas   Author's Homepage   Email Sa'kal'ishaalas     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't know Gray, I think we might meet intelligent life (only if it's in this galaxy though). You know, the whole "time slows down for you the faster you go" thing....(I understand it better, but I don't want to talk too much physics right now). Well, maybe. Actually, we probably won't, cause the intelligent life would probably be in some FAR FAR AWAY galaxy, and who knows, maybe they were alive A LONG TIME AGO...

Ghosts on the other hand, I honostly don't know. Being they really can't be explained makes it hard for me to believe in them, but some things are WAY too freaky to be some odd coincidence....

Posts: 173 | From: | Registered: May 2004  |  Logged: 69.233.49.126
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 10-06-2005 10:35 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just to cut to the chase:

Yes. Time slows down (subjectively) the faster you go.

BUT.

You STILL cannot go faster than lightspeed. Physics prohibits it. It's been proven.

At the moment the closest star to us is Alpha Centauri B (I think it's B), at around 4.3 lightyears distant. That means it would take us 4.3 years to get there travelling at the speed of light, which in itself is impossible.

You'd be surprised how big of a jump there is travelling at 99.999999999999% lightspeed: I think it jumps to a thousand years or so to get to Alpha Centauri B. (I'd have to dig up the formula and work it out)

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 12.216.67.77

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05