my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » General Discussion   » Bush says Gay Marriage Ban may not be necessary...

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: Bush says Gay Marriage Ban may not be necessary...
TheKnot

Member # 213

posted 07-02-2003 05:07 PM     Profile for TheKnot   Author's Homepage   Email TheKnot     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=4&u=/ap/20030702/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush_gay_marriage_11

Thoughts?

--------------------

Take President 'Dubya' Bush and cut him in two. On the left side, there will be nothing right and on the right side, there will be nothing left.

Posts: 204 | From: Maryland | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 68.48.135.155
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 07-02-2003 05:30 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This sort of thing is something I generally avoid, as it's one of those topics that no matter what you say, someone is going to get riled.

So be it.

I am for what is good for the group as a whole. This means natural unions, so to speak, and the natural propagation of the species. It makes for a healthier gene pool.

Yes I know there are ways this might otherwise be still maintained. I simply do not condone them, as to me they go against what nature intended.

So much for my opinion. Now let's see who I got all he't up...!

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.252.135
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 07-02-2003 10:22 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's an awfully murky statement. I guess what you're saying is you're all for the straight sex because it makes babies, and that's what sex is really for, right?

You didn't really say whether or not you're againt gay sex though. The way I see it, these people wouldn't reproduce naturally anyway, so who gives a flying turd whether or not they have sex. Who gives a flying turd whether or not they're married. Seriously, does it make any difference to George Bush or anyone whether or not Jim and Bob from oklahoma are married? No, it makes no difference. For god sakes, worry about things that matter. Worry about the Constitution and how it's deteriorating before your eyes. Worry about the executive branch misleading the people, lying to cause war, in order to make money, and be reelected, to make more money, at the cost of thousands of lives, of principles, of our nation.

These people who care that gay individuals want to have sex, and want to show their love for their partner through marriage really need to get their heads out of their asses and get a life. Come on now, focus.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 12.220.189.20
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 07-02-2003 10:43 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
But-- you've got it wrong. Marriage is not about love, unfortunately.

It too is all about money. Otherwise no one would marry; they'd just live together.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.252.135
Dash Kelderon

On the Road to Redemption

Member # 427

posted 07-03-2003 07:53 AM     Profile for Dash Kelderon   Author's Homepage   Email Dash Kelderon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I find that in my small corner of Canada, that most people do get married. (straight marriages)

It is a more Metropolitan thing to just live common-law.

Now around here, we are alos all about traditional family values! Husband, Wife, 2.4 kids. (I'm working on #2)

Recently one of our Members of Parliment, (Don't know what the American equivalent of that job is... The people who meet every week and vote on by-laws, and new laws, for the FEDERAL Government. That kind of thing.) Was asked to resign her post. The reason for this request is because she voiced her opinion on being "GAY". She is very against Gay marriages, and totally beleives in Traditional Family Values. He statement was something like this.

"Just go live together and shut up about it."

Of course the media played right into that. The statement on the radio ended up being "What does Elsie Wayne thing of Gay marriages?" "Shut up about it."

Well, that was a little off topic. But an interesting fact none the less.

I feel that they should NOT allow Gay marriages. The only reason they want to be married, Like Gray said, is because of the Tax break!

And I'm sick and tired of these "Gay and Proud Marches" I'm proud to be straight! But I don't need to walk around promoteing the Straight life. I mean, What are they thinking??? Noone is gonna convert just because they saw a bunch of Fruits prancing around fondeling thier same sex partners!!! If anything... I think it's a great way to get the Shit kicked out of you!!!

--------------------

Those 2 guys may be IDIOTS... but they think the same way I do!

Posts: 655 | From: M.I,A | Registered: Feb 2003  |  Logged: 24.233.122.164
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 07-03-2003 08:35 AM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yea, Gray, that's true, and that's the reason they want to get married, but who does that negatively effect? No one. People fighting this are fighting for moral reasons. They're ignorant to the fact that not everyone has the same morals as them, and that no matter how right they think they are about everything, they just aren't. Seriously, it doesn't effect anyone, so why can't it happen? It doesn't set some kind of strange precedant that would embarass the United States, it only makes us more free.

Dash, have you ever been to a gay pride parade? They only happen in big cities like San Francisco and New York. And they aren't daily. While you might think it's rude and unneeded, just tune out to it. What's worse, gay pride marches, or KKK marches? Let's fight fights worth fighting.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 12.220.189.20
Dash Kelderon

Member # 427

posted 07-03-2003 08:40 AM     Profile for Dash Kelderon   Author's Homepage   Email Dash Kelderon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Don't even get me started on those Racist Bastards!!!

Back on track. Actually allowing Gay marriages would adversly affect the economy. Every dollar they save at TAX time, is one less dollar that the Government has to work with. I know $1 seems uite insignificant when dealing with budgets of this magnitude, but a dollar is still a dollar!

And they have Gay marched in Halifax, Nova Scotia, CANADA. And yes, I have seen one. It certainly sisn't make me want to convert!

--------------------

Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 07-03-2003 11:16 AM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
So then why not limit the amount of straight marriages we have per year, save some money. Look, it will not effect the American government. That's too bad too, because if it would, maybe we'd spend less on bombs and more on education. And NO ONE is arguing against this for the economic reasons, they're arguing for the moral reasons, which is ignorant.

If you think in the big picture, now is the first time in thousands of years it's been halfway ok to be gay, and people are proud now to admit that they are. So they have a parade. What they do at these parades isn't what all of us want to see, but I do believe we have neck muscles, and can look away. Let them be proud. If it bothers you that much, organize a straight pride parade.

The purpose of the parades aren't to make you convert. You don't convert, you are or you aren't. The purpose is to be proud of who you are, they just get a little too open about things sometimes, and that's when the police should step in, and since they don't step in, then it's alright, just look away.

--------------------

Support Progress

Dash Kelderon

Member # 427

posted 07-03-2003 11:30 AM     Profile for Dash Kelderon   Author's Homepage   Email Dash Kelderon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
They can be proud all they want! I just don't want to see it!

They can do it in the privacy of thier own Fudge-packing bedrooms!

--------------------

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 07-03-2003 11:33 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Pride or no, I personally cannot come to grips with why anyone would so openly parade themselves in this manner, especially when the atmosphere of acceptance is... ahh, moot.

Proud to be straight and ponders the thought of 2.4 children... 0.4???

--------------------

Dash Kelderon

Member # 427

posted 07-03-2003 11:42 AM     Profile for Dash Kelderon   Author's Homepage   Email Dash Kelderon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The average North American traditional family consists of Husband, Wife, and 2-3 kids. More families on average having only 2.

Therefor: Husband, Wife, and 2.4 kids.

--------------------

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 07-04-2003 12:24 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ummm... that was a joke, Dash, sheesh.

<<<-----took statistics, understands how it works, ponders siccing Chi Square on Dash....

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.208.165
Dash Kelderon

Member # 427

posted 07-04-2003 08:25 AM     Profile for Dash Kelderon   Author's Homepage   Email Dash Kelderon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
*cowers in fear of the dreaded "Chi Square" *

I wonder what the heck a Chi Square is?!?

--------------------

Posts: 655 | From: M.I,A | Registered: Feb 2003  |  Logged: 63.88.67.230
Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 09-05-2003 03:40 PM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok well I just have to pipe in here because I definitely think they should be allowed to be married - the tax break should just be done away with for everyone anyhow so lets not even consider that for the moment, HOWEVER there are other more important benefits to being married to a person instead of just living together - many of which protect the spouse in the case of sudden death or illness. Think about it if your partner is killed or seriously injured before a "normal" age and you are NOT married you have NO rights as far as thier care is concerned - the only way around this is a right of attorney but most young couples don't do that as they don't think about it - or don't think it will happen this young - they think they have time. Unmarried couples don't have the right to decide thier partners care - the family does, also many banks will not put 2 names on a morgage if the 2 people are not married so in the case of the death of the partner whose name IS on the morgage the other risks losing thier home - often these morgages are only transferable to family - spouses included - these are just a couple of other reasons why people should and want to get married that should not be denied to a couple jsut because of gender. EVERYONE has the right to this kind of security in thier choice of partnership - if you don't want to give them tax breaks just do away with them but they should have the right to the other securities of marriage.

--------------------

A friend once told me "The Turtle Moves" I think we should all remember that right now...
Don't dance to live, live to dance!

Posts: 319 | From: Wandering the planet | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 204.168.82.9

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05