my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » General Discussion   » Technology..

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: Technology..
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 05-28-2003 06:02 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Do you think technology is getting out of hand?

--------------------

"I am here to redeem myself. See, The Fate of the universe lies in my hands! I will take up the challenge!"

-Lumbia Whitfield

Posts: 1143 | From: In space... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 12.213.76.134
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 05-28-2003 06:14 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Heck, NO!!! It's GREAT.

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.252.135
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 05-28-2003 06:32 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Do you think technology could bring the end of the world?

--------------------

"I am here to redeem myself. See, The Fate of the universe lies in my hands! I will take up the challenge!"

-Lumbia Whitfield

Posts: 1143 | From: In space... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 12.213.76.134
Xam Ngboohan

Force Sensitive Mercenary

Member # 463

posted 05-28-2003 06:41 PM     Profile for Xam Ngboohan   Author's Homepage   Email Xam Ngboohan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmm, perhaps.....after seeing all those post apocalyptic films about technology taking over the world(Terminator, Matrix).

However, if used in the right hands, technology can save the world.

--------------------

There is a shadowy voice in my heart, telling me to embrace the darkness.....

Posts: 316 | From: Singapore | Registered: May 2003  |  Logged: 134.144.240.3
Dash Kelderon

On the Road to Redemption

Member # 427

posted 05-29-2003 03:43 AM     Profile for Dash Kelderon   Author's Homepage   Email Dash Kelderon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I feel that there is a general dislike for new technology in the world. I mean with every now developement, more and more JOBS become obsolete. Look at car factories for example. With the aid of Robotics in the facility, they were able to cut the workforce in half. And the cars aren't even being made as well!

Look at call centers! What's with all the PROMPTS? You may wonder if there is any humans working in these places. More jobs lost.

Now don't get me wrong, Technology also has it's benefits! LASER SURGERY for one!

This message Board could not exist if someone hadn't created the internet!

And what would we do without the POD??? Probably nothing! And that is a problem all into itself.

I don't want to go into a rant here but, Technology is good or bad. It depends on which side of the employment line you are currently on!

--------------------

Those 2 guys may be IDIOTS... but they think the same way I do!

Posts: 655 | From: M.I,A | Registered: Feb 2003  |  Logged: 63.88.67.230
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 05-29-2003 11:10 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dash makes some good points. But I think it's not so much the advancement of technology so much as it's the moral obligation to use it wisely.

The medical field is a great example of this: without technology taking the HUMONGOUS strides that it has here, myriad people would be dead or facing death. Not to mention how the human lifespan keeps increasing, all due to technological advancement... and it's not just the lifespan alone but the fact that people are living longer, healthier lives in societies with advanced technology.

Now, on the down side, there is computer controlled banking and HUGE financial conglomerates running on bits n' bytes (it would seem) which make trying to deal with an encountered problem a major pain in the you know what, hehe. People don't LIKE to be considered just numbers.

Ahh well... we have to take the good with the bad.

But the main problem with the advancement of technology, as alluded above, is our questionable ability to handle it correctly. The use of it is where any potential problems may arise, not in the technology itself.

So the root problem remains the same. The Neandertal's stick just got bigger. But did his heart and his brain truly do so as well?

[ 05-29-2003 11:13 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.208.165

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05