my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » General Discussion   » Oh Noble Dog

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: Oh Noble Dog
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 05-08-2003 08:36 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK, I have to tell everyone: I just adopted a greyhound. HE IS THE KEWLEST DOG. He's a retired racer; his race name was "Catchall," but he goes by "Doc."

I want to bring this guy up because these are WONDERFUL dogs. There are adoption agencies who find homes for retired racers who otherwise would be killed. Yeah, killed. Maiden dogs are given six races to either win or place; if no go, then they are out. And "out" means killed.

However, as I said, agencies exist where you can adopt a "retired" racer (hehe... adopt a "loser," and everybody wins).

If I can judge the breed by the guy I brought home tonight, I want to say I wish I had heard about this years ago. Doc is the mellowest, quietest, and SMARTEST dog. He walked into our house and made himself at home. He is not bothering my cats, other dogs, iguana in the least. He is well-mannered, and asks to go outside and does his business right away without having to walk a mile. He travelled to my house in the back seat of my Mustang... and was perfectly quiet about it.

These dogs are just great. They are the oldest breed of dog; the Egyptian pharoahs had them. Cleopatra had a greyhound. They are mentioned in the Bible.

OK, I could go on and on. But I just wanted to make a plug here; if anyone is in the market for a dog, I highly recommend adopting a greyhound. I'll probably get another one; they're like potato chips! Can't have just one!

Here is his picture:

[ 05-08-2003 08:38 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.96.79
Dash Kelderon

On the Road to Redemption

Member # 427

posted 05-12-2003 08:37 PM     Profile for Dash Kelderon   Author's Homepage   Email Dash Kelderon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good Lord Gray... any more animals and you'll have to charge admission. You'll soon need to build Cages outdoors for your pets! So all the children can run around your ZOO... oops I mean YARD, looking at all the Spiffy animals!

--------------------

Those 2 guys may be IDIOTS... but they think the same way I do!

Posts: 655 | From: M.I,A | Registered: Feb 2003  |  Logged: 24.233.122.164
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 05-12-2003 08:41 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One can never have too many animals, especially when one lives in the country.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.96.79
Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 05-17-2003 11:51 AM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh grey Grey - I love those dogs - I need my own place to adopt though... they are supposed to be some of teh best with kids and other pets - really gentle and almost no bark!!! YOu are so lucky - and he's so pretty!!

--------------------

A friend once told me "The Turtle Moves" I think we should all remember that right now...
Don't dance to live, live to dance!

Posts: 319 | From: Wandering the planet | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 204.168.82.9
Dash Kelderon

On the Road to Redemption

Member # 427

posted 05-17-2003 02:58 PM     Profile for Dash Kelderon   Author's Homepage   Email Dash Kelderon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Nice to see you on the boards again PADME. Hope you plan on staying for a while.

--------------------

Those 2 guys may be IDIOTS... but they think the same way I do!

Posts: 655 | From: M.I,A | Registered: Feb 2003  |  Logged: 63.88.67.230
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 05-17-2003 04:04 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes Padme, these dogs are great. They are perfect for apartments because they really don't need much exercise, and as you can't tie them outside (as they can reach 45 mph in less than three strides, they can easily break a neck suddenly taking off after a bird or rabbit) they have to be taken for walkies. Inside they are the Original Couch Potatoes, believe it or not!

Doc is just great: he gets along so well with all my other critters, he is so sensitive and smart, too. Please, please adopt one when you can! I'll never go without one again, and if I could I'd get another.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.208.165
Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 05-18-2003 08:13 PM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah its good to be back - hopefully this place will keep me sane through this student teaching - inner city special ed with an absolutely AWEFUL inclusion class - and its the regular ed kids who are the real problems - talk about no respect for teachers!!!!!

Anyway I definitely plan on rescuing as many cute furry things as I can when i get a place to keep them where they will not be subjected to the fishtank test... aka in the dorms you can have any pet that can survive submerged in the AD's fishtank for 20 min....

--------------------

A friend once told me "The Turtle Moves" I think we should all remember that right now...
Don't dance to live, live to dance!

Posts: 319 | From: Wandering the planet | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 204.168.82.9
BobPalpatine

Foo Fighter

Member # 17

posted 05-21-2003 09:16 PM     Profile for BobPalpatine   Author's Homepage   Email BobPalpatine     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Heh, we have family friends that adopt Greyhounds, and boy they are characters. They can sometimes be so smart and then appear so dumb just a second later. I like em though, but I'm more of a Lab guy.

Gray, does your Greyhound ever run into fences or glass doors and such? Every adopted Greyhound I have met has had trouble with these concepts. I was told it was because of the way they are raised.

I'd adopt one of em, but I already have 2 large dogs, and we take care of other large dogs all of the time. So no more puppies for me, at least not for a while.

--------------------

"Can't you hear my motored heart? Your the one that started it!"

-Foo Fighters "Generator"

Cogito ergo sum

BobPalpatine
Holonet Admin

Posts: 681 | From: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  Logged: 68.184.208.42
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 05-21-2003 09:30 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've read that greyhounds tend to misunderstand things like glass and swimming pools; it's because they are sighthounds and don't go by their noses.

I just took Doc to our windows and hit them with my knuckle; he knows they are solid. He hasn't run into them, but he does look outside a lot.

I know what you mean about being a character. Usually Doc is way sensitive and dignified... except in the morning when he has to go out. He barks (once) to wake me, then does his "potty cha-cha" which is hysterical: he stands there and stomps his front paws on the floor, really hard. That's the only time he does this; it's a hoot!

[ 05-21-2003 09:31 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.208.165
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 05-21-2003 10:22 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Country...animals...Yes grey its wonderful huh?

cept the DAMNED IDIOTS ARE RUINING MY DESERT! *Growls*

Yes, the WHOLE point of living here out in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE is having animals, and some idiot nabor that moved up from the city complained about some lady that had horses, goats, pigs, chickens and the whole lot, even though her yard was SPOTLESS, oh yes, you move up to ANIMAL AREAS AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE ANIMALS! *shoots himself, falls silently to the floor*

--------------------

"Insert Snappy quote here"

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.219.51.201

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05