my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » General Discussion   » Your Favorite Quote?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: Your Favorite Quote?
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 04-24-2003 10:23 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Mine would have to be..

"I'll pee in yo' coffin" -Friend Guy (Andrew)

--------------------

"I am here to redeem myself. See, The Fate of the universe lies in my hands! I will take up the challenge!"

-Lumbia Whitfield

Posts: 1143 | From: In space... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 12.213.76.134
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 04-24-2003 10:46 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmm... seems to me this is a repeat performance, so I'll repeat:

One of my favorite quotes is Lilo, from Lilo & Stitch:

"Oh, good. My dog found the chainsaw."

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.193.168
Jaina Solo

Member # 434

posted 04-24-2003 11:00 PM     Profile for Jaina Solo   Author's Homepage   Email Jaina Solo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
From True Lies:

"What can I say, I'm a spy."

Posts: 34 | From: | Registered: Feb 2003  |  Logged: 64.123.159.235
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 04-25-2003 09:44 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Another one.

"Star Wars Galaxies is coming out soon" hehe

Shameless plugs, I just can't manage to get them out of my mouth.

That'll be a great game though, that's all I gotta say about that...

--------------------

"I am here to redeem myself. See, The Fate of the universe lies in my hands! I will take up the challenge!"

-Lumbia Whitfield

Posts: 1143 | From: In space... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 12.213.76.134
Jaina Solo

Member # 434

posted 04-25-2003 10:02 PM     Profile for Jaina Solo   Author's Homepage   Email Jaina Solo     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
no offense, but what does that have to do with fav. quotes?
Posts: 34 | From: | Registered: Feb 2003  |  Logged: 64.123.159.235
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 04-26-2003 12:00 AM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
See, the shameless plug effects all.

I don't really think it does, but it gets the quote thread moving, but on the real--I'll give you one of my favorite quotes.

"A friend is someone who accepts your past, in love with your present and cares about your future." - Me

--------------------

-Lumbia Whitfield

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 04-26-2003 01:58 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, here's another fav: picture this. It's from the great Japanese film, Mothra.

Our intrepid hero's SIDEKICK is creeping along through some tropical island jungle, trailing the bad guys. Our sidekick unfortunately did not score well on his "How To Shadow People" final; he's barely a couple feet behind the bad dudes. (OK, so they're deaf as logs in not realizing he's there, but oh well....)

Anyway, sidekick steps on a HUGE branch that just happens to be laying there; there is this electric crack, the bad dudes whirl, they are literally nose to nose, the bad dudes whip out their guns, scowling and threatening and such... and our intrepid sidekick puts a cheesy smile on his face and says,

"Hehro... I am rohst."

(No fooling, that's a direct quote, phonetics and all! I'm still cringing....)

[ 04-26-2003 02:01 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.188.199
Dash Kelderon

On the Road to Redemption

Member # 427

posted 04-27-2003 08:07 AM     Profile for Dash Kelderon   Author's Homepage   Email Dash Kelderon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
From DUMB AND DUMBER

"Give me the booze you pumpkin pie haircutted little freak!"

From THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH

"I thought Christmas only came once a year!"
(the older crowd here should appreciate the humor in that quote)

--------------------

Those 2 guys may be IDIOTS... but they think the same way I do!

Posts: 655 | From: M.I,A | Registered: Feb 2003  |  Logged: 63.88.67.230
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 04-27-2003 12:35 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Appreciate what? Also, get off my lawn you darn kids.

That'd be another quote, "Get off my lawn." And you have to say it in an old man's voice...hehe

--------------------

-Lumbia Whitfield

Dash Kelderon

On the Road to Redemption

Member # 427

posted 04-28-2003 04:20 AM     Profile for Dash Kelderon   Author's Homepage   Email Dash Kelderon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you have seen the 007 movie THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH you would find the humor in that statement.

--------------------

Those 2 guys may be IDIOTS... but they think the same way I do!

Posts: 655 | From: M.I,A | Registered: Feb 2003  |  Logged: 63.88.67.230
TheKnot

Member # 213

posted 04-29-2003 05:45 PM     Profile for TheKnot   Author's Homepage   Email TheKnot     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Historical quote:

"One death is a tragedy. A million deaths is a statistic."

Interesting point: The guy who said this was Josef Stalin, who was responsible for murdering a large portion of the Russian population due to his paranoia. Oh, and his bad strategy in sending wave after wave of peasant troops against German tanks.

And also having them shot if they refused.

--------------------

Take President 'Dubya' Bush and cut him in two. On the left side, there will be nothing right and on the right side, there will be nothing left.

Posts: 204 | From: Maryland | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 68.50.185.134
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 04-29-2003 05:50 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Very weird, yet informative quote. I like it Though it is a said comment and depressive.

--------------------

-Lumbia Whitfield

Taehun

Dark Jedi

Member # 290

posted 04-29-2003 10:37 PM     Profile for Taehun   Author's Homepage   Email Taehun     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheKnot:

Oh, and his bad strategy in sending wave after wave of peasant troops against German tanks.

I was under the impression that Russia's military at the time was highly under-mechanized...

--------------------

All in all it was just another brick in the wall,
all in all you were just another brick in the wall.

Posts: 248 | From: USAFA, CO | Registered: Jul 2002  |  Logged: 198.81.26.206
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 04-29-2003 11:02 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Isn't that what was said? Peasant troops against German tanks? Or did I misunderstand something somewhere; admittedly, history is not my forte.

*Wanders off muttering to herself of universal expansion rates and the Hubble Parameter... which ought to be the Hubble Variable, but hey, that's me....

By the way, did you know it is around 70-75?

[ 04-30-2003 01:33 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.208.165
Taehun

Dark Jedi

Member # 290

posted 04-29-2003 11:08 PM     Profile for Taehun   Author's Homepage   Email Taehun     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Universal expansion rates?

*head explodes*

What I meant was, if the military consists mainly of plain footsoldiers, what other strategy is there than to throw infantry against mechanized divisions?

--------------------

TheKnot

Member # 213

posted 04-30-2003 04:49 AM     Profile for TheKnot   Author's Homepage   Email TheKnot     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Scorched earth tactics had worked, and Stalin could have also pulled back all his forces at the beginning of the war to about as far as Moscow and make a stronger stand.

Infantry usually stand a better chance fighting defensively against tanks rather than attacking them, even if half of them didn't have rifles.

--------------------

Take President 'Dubya' Bush and cut him in two. On the left side, there will be nothing right and on the right side, there will be nothing left.

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 04-30-2003 01:39 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just to make your head explode further:

Yes, universal expansion rates. The universe is expanding all around us, in all directions. We know this because galaxies are retreating from us in ALL directions (with the small exception of some in our own Local Group, which are coming toward us).

The Hubble Parameter is the relationship between how far away a galaxy is and how fast it is retreating. Interestingly enough, the farther away a galaxy is, the faster it is retreating. The Hubble parameter is simply the slope of the line produced in graphing velocity/distance of galaxies, and averages 70-75.

What this says is that any galaxy is retreating at a velocity 70-75 times faster than its distance from us. Example: if it is 500 mega-parsecs away, it is retreating at a rate of 35 to 37 thousand kilometers/sec. That's approximately one-tenth of the distance from the earth to the moon.

What's a parsec? 3.26 lightyears. What's a lightyear? The distance light travels in a year at the rate of 300,000 km/sec. So 300,000 x 60 x 60 x 24 x 365 is the distance in kilometers one lightyear represents. Multiply by 3.26 to get the distance a parsec is. Then that by 500 million....

Hehe... it's a mighty fur piece down the road, isn't it? Probably more than you ever wanted to know....

[ 04-30-2003 01:53 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.208.165
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 04-30-2003 01:58 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh YEAH, and to make your head REALLY turn into mush:

Don't think of the universe as expanding "into" something. If we were inhabiting a galaxy at the farthest reaches in which we can "see" it (ie: one of those out there around 800 Mpcs from us) instead of our own, that doesn't mean that all the other galaxies would be coming toward us.

All the other galaxies would be retreating in all directions from that galaxy too... heheh. It's a temporal thing.

Kinda blows you away, doesn't it?

--------------------

TheKnot

Member # 213

posted 04-30-2003 07:40 PM     Profile for TheKnot   Author's Homepage   Email TheKnot     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
*starts bleeding from his ears and eyes*

AHHH MAKE IT STOP!!!

--------------------

Taehun

Dark Jedi

Member # 290

posted 04-30-2003 11:37 PM     Profile for Taehun   Author's Homepage   Email Taehun     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ah, I stand corrected. I thought you just meant that Russia should have employed the use of tanks to counter Germany's tanks, when they really didnt have too many.

--------------------

Taehun

Dark Jedi

Member # 290

posted 04-30-2003 11:45 PM     Profile for Taehun   Author's Homepage   Email Taehun     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anyway, back on the topic...one of my favorite quotes is made by Robin Williams in one of my favorite movies: Dead Poet's Society. It's rather long, but it's still one of my favorites:

-They're not that different from you, are they? Same haircuts. Full of hormones, just like you. Invincible, just like you feel. The world is their oyster. They believe they're destined for great things, just like many of you, their eyes are full of hope, just like you. Did they wait until it was too late to make from their lives even one iota of what they were capable? Because, you see gentlemen, these boys are now fertilizing daffodils. But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? --- Carpe --- hear it? --- Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary.

If you haven't seen Dead Poet's Society, I suggest you watch. It's one of the greatest movies of all time, IMHO.

*edit: I just found a few more...*

-We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for. To quote from Whitman, "O me! O life!... of the questions of these recurring; of the endless trains of the faithless--of cities filled with the foolish; what good amid these, O me, O life? Answer. That you are here - that life exists, and identity; that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse." That the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. What will your verse be?

-Sucking all the marrow out of life doesn't mean choking on the bone.

-Keating: Why do we need language?
Neil: To communicate...
Keating: Nooo!! To woo women!

[ 04-30-2003 11:49 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Taehun ]

--------------------

Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 05-17-2003 12:02 PM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
My favorite is:

"Even the small can change the course of the World" Galadriel FOTR

Kinda makes the point for good early education doesn't it... Our Kids are our future.

[ 05-17-2003 12:06 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Padme of Hidden Lake ]

--------------------

A friend once told me "The Turtle Moves" I think we should all remember that right now...
Don't dance to live, live to dance!

Posts: 319 | From: Wandering the planet | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 204.168.82.9
Naga Sadow

Member # 348

posted 12-05-2003 01:35 AM     Profile for Naga Sadow   Author's Homepage   Email Naga Sadow     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One of mines is in my sig, the other would have to be from Voltaire:

"A witty saying proves nothing."

--------------------

**To know nothing is bad**To learn nothing is worse**

Posts: 22 | From: Yavin 4 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  Logged: 66.161.166.9
blaksun

Broken Back Button

Member # 516

posted 12-18-2003 12:11 PM     Profile for blaksun   Author's Homepage   Email blaksun     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"Who can see the future? Those who create it""Who can see the future? Those who create it"

Strider Hiryu, Marvel vs. Capcom...

--------------------

Come forth! and we shall duel until White is Black and Black is White!

Posts: 7 | From: hell | Registered: Nov 2003  |  Logged: 63.139.82.254

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05