my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » General Discussion   » Reply To Dixie Chicks

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: Reply To Dixie Chicks
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 04-07-2003 02:27 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
While I realize this is probably yesterday's news, it is still of import enough to place here. The following is an email which has been forwarded to me.

Subject: Fwd: Fw: Fw:A serviceman's reply to the Dixie Chicks

>> An open letter to the Dixie Chicks: Earlier this week, while performing in London, you stated that you were ashamed that our President is from your home state. I wonder if you realized how many Americans would be listening.

This American was listening. This Texan is ashamed that you come from my state. I serve my country as an officer in the United States Navy. Specifically, I fly F-14 Tomcats off carriers around the world, executing the missions that preserve the very freedom you claim to exercise.

I have proudly fought for my country in the skies over Kosovo, Iraq and Afghanistan without regret. Though I may disagree wholeheartedly with your comments, I will defend to the death your right to say them, in America.

But for you to travel to a foreign land and publicly criticize our Commander in Chief is cowardice behavior. Would you have so willingly made those comments while performing for a patriotic, flag-waving crowd of Texans in Lubbock. I would imagine not.

How dare you pocket profits off songs about soldiers, their deaths and patriotism while criticizing their Commander in Chief abroad, even while they prepare to give their lives ensure your own freedom of speech. Please ask yourself, what have you done to deserve that sacrifice? Do not try to justify your comments by claiming that you made them only because you care about innocent lives.

Never once in our history have we committed troops to war for the purpose of taking innocent lives. We do it to protect innocent lives, even yours. If the world leaders of the late 1930's had the vision and courage of our present Commander in Chief, perhaps the evil men who caused the death of millions in WWII would have never had the opportunity to harm a soul. The potential loss of millions of lives in the future at the hands of today's evil men necessitate action.

In a separate correspondence, I am returning to you each and every Dixie Chicks CD and cassette that I have ever purchased. Never again will I allow my funds to support your behavior. All you have done is to add your name to a growing list of American "Celebreties" who have failed to realize that they have obtained their successes on the backs of the American blue-collar workers such as our servicemen and women.

To Natalie Maines: This Texan?this American will continue to risk his life to guarantee your freedoms. What will you do to deserve it?>>
I refuse to buy anything having to do with them either.

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.96.79
Dash Kelderon

On the Road to Redemption

Member # 427

posted 04-07-2003 04:58 PM     Profile for Dash Kelderon   Author's Homepage   Email Dash Kelderon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Though I may not agree with WAR in general, I do have to agree with the statements made in this letter! I have always BANNED country music in my home and will continue to ban the DIXIE CHIX from my CD and Cassett collection!

--------------------

Those 2 guys may be IDIOTS... but they think the same way I do!

Posts: 655 | From: M.I,A | Registered: Feb 2003  |  Logged: 24.233.122.164
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 04-07-2003 08:14 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I too am very much against war in general. But...

But.

There comes a time when it must be waged, as distasteful as it might be to do so. People do seem to have overlooked the atrocities performed by Saddam against his own people; I think there has been enough information "come out of this particularly horrid closet" to justify our going in as we did.

And looky here... looks as if we just might have found that "smoking gun."

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.96.79
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 04-07-2003 10:18 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ya... You should never talk bad about the president when in a position of power such as they... I mean, to joke around in the privacy of ones own sheltered life, where none will be influanced is one thing... But to speak out loud, to a crowed... That is just wrong...

And i too do not agree with war, but like graysith said, there comes a time when it just has to be... And this is deffenetly that time.

Hmm, ya, in class we did a good deed, for a weak we collected supplies and put them in shoe boxes to send to soldiers stationed in iraq. in a week we ended up with somewere around 200-400 boxes.(and this is just 2 classes in the school mind you, which is pretty damned good)

So ya, peace out ya'll, and BTW, I as a country hick phelanite(if your wondering look up "phelan California" we more hick then anyone you know) will be grabbing my pitch fork, and running off to fight for our country! *growls* cant wait to see the look on sadams face when i jab his ass with a pitch fork! (no im not really going to war)

Oh ya, did you guy's here about the soldier that went "awol" to join up with his comrads on the front line? and who say's hero's arnt born anymore!

--------------------

"Insert Snappy quote here"

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.227.22.224
Dash Kelderon

On the Road to Redemption

Member # 427

posted 04-08-2003 04:08 AM     Profile for Dash Kelderon   Author's Homepage   Email Dash Kelderon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hold on now GRAY... I din't bad mouth the war, or anything that the American soldiers are doing. I simply said I don't agree with war. I'm not trying to debate this scenario again, I was simply pointing out that I hate COUNTRY MUZAK, and will never support Bands like the DIXIE CHICKS! (or any other country "star")

And yes... it is quite sad that they would bad mouth the PRESIDENT to a crowd that is so easily influenced! If you wanna bash the PRESIDENT or any other polatition, do so in CANADA!!! *kidding* (Or the privacy of your own home)

--------------------

Those 2 guys may be IDIOTS... but they think the same way I do!

Posts: 655 | From: M.I,A | Registered: Feb 2003  |  Logged: 63.88.67.230
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 04-08-2003 10:23 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ummm... Dash--?

Might I point out the statements in that letter had nothing to do with country music, and everything to do with the subject of war/loyalty to country/etc.?

It just so happened that the once-celebrity-now-a-skunk who thoughtlessly said what she did happened to be a member of a country band.

While not my favorite style of music, there is wonderful country music out there (especially the old stuff) and fantastic artists. No one in THIS generation really "knows" good country; they have never heard it:

Hank Williams and Hank Williams Junior, Doc Watson, Johnny Cash, Buck Owens, Kenny Rogers, are just some immediately popping to mind. Then a bit more recent artists: Dolly Parton, Reba Macintire, Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson... current artist "newbies" are scarcely country in comparison to those mentioned above.

But that's my opinion.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.188.199
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 04-08-2003 11:12 AM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
*yawns*

Country Music...

--------------------

In the absence of light, darkness prevails

Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 68.155.96.171
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 04-08-2003 04:09 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Stunning ignorance....

A person's citizenship does not leave them when they become famous. It is your right, and should be considered your duty, to speak out against something, even the president, if you disagree. Simply because we're at war does not make the president a god, innocent to everything he's ever done, invincible to the law, and to the american people. For god sake, you people who want silence from desenters make me sick.

If any of you have studied history, doesn't even have to be american history, you should have an understanding of how ignorant it is to say 'you should be quiet, we're at war.'

Be smart.

And GS, the Dixie Chicks are no newer than Alan Jackson, and their music is good. They are patriots, as are soldiers.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 12.220.189.20
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 04-08-2003 06:51 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Personaly im not saying that because they are famous they arent citizens and cant speak of thier opinions. But they have more responsibility to just go out and speak thier minds about something as serious as this. its like a teacher, teachers are not allowed to give thier personal opinions about a subject, because they carry to much influance(this is an exact statement from my history teacher so dont give me lip about it)

Celebreties have the same responsibility. Their word is no longer just a word, it carries mass influance, and it should be regarded as such. To go out and flaunt your influanced over something is just stupid.

Now, i dont agree with war, no, i hate the stuff. I wish all this hadnt happened, but i still think its wrong that they would actauly say they were ashamed of our president, i mean to say "im anti war" is one thing, or to say "you know what i cant agree with our presidents actions on this" thats fine, but to say that your ASHAMED to be from texas because of the actions of the president, that is just horrible.

And yes, i personaly, Am VERY ignorant, and i will continue to be so untill the day the men in the black suits come to my door and shoot me in the head.

--Peace

--------------------

"Insert Snappy quote here"

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.219.51.116
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 04-08-2003 06:58 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Celebrities don't nearly have as much responsibility as Teachers...

Kinda makes you wonder which should be paid in the 8-figure range...

Celebrities and their money, while we're on the subject, Athletes aren't paid near enough money...

--------------------

Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 68.155.96.171
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 04-08-2003 07:39 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bah--I'll talk bad about the government if I make it famous or not--I don't think it is a thing of that Entaris.

I don't agree with the statement though on a moral reason. It was immature, and an insult that had very very little to back it up in my opinon. The Dixie Chicks made a statement that shouldn't have been held in that sort of content, and such hateful fashion.

I mean, I don't like my president, but I wouldn't go the to the point of being ashamed that he breathes the same air as me, as it seems like they would say.

It's pretty dumb...in my eyes...

But anyways, I don't listen to country music, it's dumb. Stupid country music, it's posioning our kids, as some ignorant person would say. Hehe...heheh

--------------------

"I am here to redeem myself. See, The Fate of the universe lies in my hands! I will take up the challenge!"

-Lumbia Whitfield

Posts: 1143 | From: In space... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 12.213.76.134
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 04-09-2003 09:03 AM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Right. Singing about love poisons more than singing about bitches and dubs and bling bling. Makes loads of sense. You must be the one who put America on this fast track to hell, where all the kiddies run free!

Anyway, it's hard to tell what people who disagree publicly with the President are backing up their statement with. It could a good reason, could be a dumb one. For people who care, read this, http://www.motherjones.com/news/feature/2003/10/ma_273_01.html

It's long, but interesting and be sure to readabout the author at the bottom of the page. It adds to the credibility of the article.

The article should, if you're an american, put a mild taste of disgust in your mouth for the President and crew. It's blatantly un-American. Check it out, if you enjoy being informed, if not, continue ranting and spreading you ignorance to people like yourself.

Good night.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 12.220.189.20
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 04-09-2003 12:04 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'm anAmerican...

--------------------

Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 208.61.78.118
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 04-09-2003 02:14 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
There is dancing in the streets of Baghdad as statues of Saddam topple. 'Tis a beautiful thing.

And I do NOT refer to the coalition troops, either...

You know, I read some journalist's speculative article (somewhere) in which he voiced his opinion that when all is said and done, there will be two superpowers in the world to keep "check" on each other: China and the United States. From what I was just told today, China is making noise to the UN that the threat of NK is being "ignored" or "overlooked..." I don't know if that's a veiled threat or not, but it certainly does seem to head at least TOWARD that journalist's speculation.

I wonder if China will deal with NK as we dealt with Iraq... and the road begins to be paved. If this is the case, I sure hope that they will retain their "isolationist" policies that they seem to have adhered to in the past; I'd much rather be "held in check" in their quiet manner than in the more aggressively "quiet manner" of the former USSR... (which didn't work out anyway, heh.)

Anyway, my only hope and dream is that when the world in general settles down and all the big boys quit blowing their respective horns we can all unite into a true global community, each part respective of each other's cultures and beliefs and so on, and finally "grow up."

Heh... yeah, I know that's idealism in it's exteme form, but I can dream, can't I?

[ 04-09-2003 02:20 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.209.6
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 04-09-2003 03:56 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think it's another damn trick(citizens really militia)... trust me, it ain't over...

And, do we want another Korean War?

I mean, first it's Afghanistan(can understand that, wasn't really 'war') now it's Iraq... then Korea... I guess when Bush said we wouldn't 'rest until terrorism was rooted out' he might have foreshadowed more than most were willing to accept...

--------------------

Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 208.61.78.118

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05