my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » General Discussion   » IN LIEU OF

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: IN LIEU OF
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 02-11-2003 12:26 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, this thread is for anyone who DOES wish to continue debating their views on whether or not we should go to war with Iraq, what other possible alternatives there are, and other OPINIONS and such. I wish to state that an opinion is just that, and everyone is entitled to their own. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to say how beautiful the stars are; likewise, you don't have to be a Ph.D in poly-sci to add in your two cent's worth here.

And that's all, folks.

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.213.76
Mara1Jade

Expanded Universe Goddess and Corran Obsessor

Member # 68

posted 02-11-2003 12:31 AM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, my two cents was and always will be that we shouldn't just sit on our hands. The Iraqis, with or without nukes, have ALWAYS expressed clear hate and intent to harm towards Americans. Hell, they were dancing in the street the day the Columbia exploded from what I heard. So who's to say that on any given day when the Iraquis are feeling particularly nasty they won't just up and fire off those nukes at us even after we retract war?

No one. I say we go in and get'em. The nuclear threat is just that; a threat to get us to back off. If they weren't hiding something IMHO, they wouldn't need to threaten...

--------------------

Small minds think in small terms!
~~CMH, creator and writer of Shayla Petrolu, Erik Kartan, Shawn Petrolu, Terrin Danner, Jasyn Lancaster, Matt Stanza, Aaron Barnes, And Taylor Garrison~~

Posts: 972 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 66.20.159.80
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 02-11-2003 12:41 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree 200%.

To me, this is a "durned if you do, and durned if you don't" situation... which we always seem to be getting ourselves into. But then, it's something which probably comes with the territory of being a superpower.

The evidence of his lies and intentions is there, we've given Saddam plenty of time, the UN has given him plenty of time (time to hide his weapons, isn't that wonderful....) and now he's run out of time.

We cannot allow his threat to exist any longer. Hit 'im.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.213.76
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 02-11-2003 12:46 AM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I personally do not like war...

I believe there are easier ways, but we've already committed to war... until there is no 'threat' to the American way of life... i.e. terrorism....

--------------------

In the absence of light, darkness prevails

Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 65.80.161.95
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 02-11-2003 04:08 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
As a warning, if I offend you, you take things too personally.

Mara1Jade, there is no nuclear threat from Iraq. They don't claim they have nukes, we know they don't, but we do know they want them, and are trying to get them. If you're basing your opinion on this war on the fact that they could have nuclear weapons, you might want to rethink it. Also, they aren't threatening to launch anything at us, be it nukes, chemical, or biological weapons. The only thing they threaten is complete anihiliation if we attack them, which is pretty much like the tiny 4 foot 2 inch nerd telling the 6 foot 9 inch bully to back off.

Something else to remember is that putting all the Iraqis in to one group is a bad idea. It would be more kosher to say Saddam Hussein wants these things than to say the IRaqi people want them. For one, the Iraqi people are very mislead, second, not all of them hate America, and many of them do in fact hate Saddam. But how do you vote a dictator out of office with a riffle in your face? You don't.

Also, the launch radius the Iraqis have can't reach the United States, so anything they launch won't hit us. Now, it oculd hit our troops, and that is likely to happen if war breaks out, but from what you said it sounds like you're afraid they'll shoot some nukes to North Carolina or something. Plus, Saddam Hussein, as evil as he is, doesn't want all the Americans dead, he wants us out of Iraq and out of the middle east, and we're not doing that. (I'm not saying we should)

Personally, I want the United Nations to survive. Other nations apparently don't, which is why they want to block any kind of war in Iraq, but they can suck our toes. My reason for going to war would be all the broken resolutions, which really shouldn't lead to war, since we break resolutions too. I do, however, think getting rid of Saddam will be better in the long run, and better to do it sooner than later.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 12.220.189.20
Mara1Jade

Expanded Universe Goddess and Corran Obsessor

Member # 68

posted 02-15-2003 11:50 PM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I still want to know why they would threaten if they didn't have something to hide...

--------------------

Small minds think in small terms!
~~CMH, creator and writer of Shayla Petrolu, Erik Kartan, Shawn Petrolu, Terrin Danner, Jasyn Lancaster, Matt Stanza, Aaron Barnes, And Taylor Garrison~~

Posts: 972 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 65.80.105.224
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 02-15-2003 11:59 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Iraq threatened to use weapons they say they do not have?

[ 02-16-2003 12:00 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Loban ]

--------------------

Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 66.156.195.29
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 02-16-2003 12:46 AM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That's what I tried to make clear in my last post, they have threatened nothing in regards to chemical and biological warfare against the United States or anyone. The ont thing they do threaten is total anihilization of the US if we attack them, which is basically them trying to not look like a pussy (there's not a lot else they can say).

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 12.220.189.20
Taehun

Dark Jedi

Member # 290

posted 02-16-2003 12:56 AM     Profile for Taehun   Author's Homepage   Email Taehun     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I say we go...

The main argument I've heard from people I've argued with about this is that we can't just go around attacking nations everywhere arguing that it's a pre-emptive strike. That's true, but I guarantee that the same people making these arguments would've been saying something else had I talked to them on September 11th. It's all about prevention. If there is a legitimate threat to American lives, whether they're the lives of soldiers or civilians, it needs to be dealt with by all means possible. It would be nice for it to occur diplomatically, but I just don't see that happening with Iraq, so I think that war is fast becoming the best option.

--------------------

All in all it was just another brick in the wall,
all in all you were just another brick in the wall.

Posts: 248 | From: USAFA, CO | Registered: Jul 2002  |  Logged: 198.81.21.23
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 02-16-2003 01:18 AM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The last word in your reply, Taehun, is a contradiction as I see it...

War is never the best 'option'... if there are alternatives, war is never good or just...

That's just the way I see it...

--------------------

Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 66.156.195.29
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 02-16-2003 01:48 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
In this case it is the only option. If we don't strike, we'll look even more like fools, and Saddam and any other little despot coming down the pike can just bet their future buttons that they can go do whatever they want (terrorist attack, funded/condoned/sponsored by them) and they'll yet again be safe from and laughing at the great superpower, ie: US, who yet again sit and twiddle our thumbs tryng to be diplomatic toward idiots who have no understanding of the meaning of the word. Not to mention they don't care squat about it.

Time to follow through. To paraphrase history: "Damn the torpedoes; full speed ahead."

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.107.31
Taehun

Dark Jedi

Member # 290

posted 02-16-2003 02:18 AM     Profile for Taehun   Author's Homepage   Email Taehun     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is somewhat related, and I was laughing for about an hour last night when i saw it.

[ 02-16-2003 02:18 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Taehun ]

--------------------

All in all it was just another brick in the wall,
all in all you were just another brick in the wall.

Posts: 248 | From: USAFA, CO | Registered: Jul 2002  |  Logged: 198.81.26.170
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 02-16-2003 05:27 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
But, there are military options short of war...

We aren't fighting a war in Afghanistan, yet we are doing what is needed... searching for Bin Laden, and his gang...

There are not only diplomatic alternatives, but military ones as well...

We know that the Iraqi army doesn't want to fight us, chances are if we do go to war they would surrender quickly... perhaps even more quickly than France did in the beginning of WWII...

--------------------

Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 68.155.96.190

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05