my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » General Discussion   » Something To Ponder

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: Something To Ponder
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 01-18-2003 12:37 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Close your eyes and picture in your mind the soldier at Valley Forge, as he holds his musket in his bloody hands. He stands barefoot in the snow, starved from lack of food, wounded from months of battle and emotionally scarred from the eternity away from his family surrounded by nothing but death and carnage of war.

He stands tough, with fire in his eyes and victory on his breath. He looks at us now in anger and disgust and tells us this…

"I gave you a birthright of freedom born in the Constitution and now your children graduate too illiterate to read it!

"I fought in the snow barefoot to give you the freedom to vote and you stay at home because it rains!

"I left my family destitute to give you freedom of speech and you remain silent on critical issues because it might be bad for business!

"I orphaned my children to give you a government to serve you and it has stolen democracy from the people!

"It's the soldier, not the reporter, who gives you the freedom of the press!

"It's the soldier, not the poet, who gives you freedom of speech!

"It's the soldier, not the campus organizer, who allows you to demonstrate!

"It's the soldier who salutes the flag, serves the flag, who's coffin is draped with the flag, that allows the protesters to burn the flag!!!"

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.188.199
Taehun

Dark Jedi

Member # 290

posted 01-20-2003 02:25 AM     Profile for Taehun   Author's Homepage   Email Taehun     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just a little comment...

I have never met a soldier or veteran who didn't find flag-burning incredibly offensive and disrespectful.

That is all.

--------------------

All in all it was just another brick in the wall,
all in all you were just another brick in the wall.

Posts: 248 | From: USAFA, CO | Registered: Jul 2002  |  Logged: 198.81.26.170
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 01-20-2003 02:34 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Exactly.

But it is due to him that our freedoms are protected... even the so-called freedom to burn the flag.

Please note, I do not condone flag-burning at all. But there is a big ol point in that post.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.188.199
Taehun

Dark Jedi

Member # 290

posted 01-20-2003 02:42 AM     Profile for Taehun   Author's Homepage   Email Taehun     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, I got the point of the message. It's just that I was adding my own two cents to the post. I always found it ironic that people protest that they don't have enough freedoms in America by doing things that they would be jailed for in any other country.

Want something even more ironic? When people protest and say, "bring our soldiers home..." and burn a flag at the same time. It just kills me...

[ 01-20-2003 02:44 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Taehun ]

--------------------

All in all it was just another brick in the wall,
all in all you were just another brick in the wall.

Posts: 248 | From: USAFA, CO | Registered: Jul 2002  |  Logged: 198.81.26.170
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 01-20-2003 11:18 AM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A new amendment should be added to the Constitution specifically protecting flag burning.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 12.220.185.199
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 01-20-2003 11:37 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Watch: someone would say it's unconstitutional.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.209.6
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 01-20-2003 11:41 AM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Someone could call me God, but I'm not.

Facts are facts. Fact is when someone burns the flag, they have reason. Most times they're protesting the government's actions (look at the Vietnam war protests), and that is freedom of speech.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 12.220.185.199
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 01-20-2003 01:45 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I misread. Thought you meant an amendment specifically AGAINST flag burning.

Another item: I think MLK Day shouldn't be a national holiday. ARMED FORCES DAY should. It's more of an "umbrella holiday" for the nation as a whole, and more meaningful as far as what we are supposed to be.

If we have the one, I think its a terrible oversight to exclude the other.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.209.6
Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 01-20-2003 05:43 PM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well We do have Veterans day - though that is really for those no longer in service it is the same basic idea... but you are right MLK day is great for those that it really impacted and it IS important for them but changing it to Civil Rights day like New Hampshire did is a much better idea - after all he wasn't the only one involved....

--------------------

A friend once told me "The Turtle Moves" I think we should all remember that right now...
Don't dance to live, live to dance!

Posts: 319 | From: Wandering the planet | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 204.168.82.9
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 01-20-2003 06:15 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It almost feels hypocritical to have a day like this and have no one working to fix the segregational issues of today. Like we're telling the world we're proud of what we did, but not revealing the fact that there is much more to do.

--------------------

Support Progress

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05