my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » General Discussion   » ANAKIN

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: ANAKIN
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 01-16-2003 01:56 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Help. We miss your topics for heated debate. We are in dire need of a hot topic for debate.

Hey, here's one.

I finally found something I agree with Bush about, and that is the fact that affirmative action is in itself racially biased, and that the automatic point-giving to minorites in order to assist their acceptance into college is likewise a racial bias. He's been getting a lot of heat about this; I agree with him for once.

Anybody else? And if this topic is too putzy, Ani... help....

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.188.199
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 01-16-2003 01:15 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Bah! Who in their right mind doesn't agree with that? Bush is only saying something the vast majority agree with, so he can win over people like you, GS. Be wary, be a very very wary wabbit.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 12.220.185.199
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 01-16-2003 01:35 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey! I said I agreed with him... for once. That's once out of a bazillion times.

Doesn't mean I'm gonna vote for him. Not by a long shot!

heheh...

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.188.199
Mara1Jade

Expanded Universe Goddess and Corran Obsessor

Member # 68

posted 01-20-2003 11:04 AM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You'd be surprised how many people are for affirmative action. To me it's plain insulting. Just by lowering the standard ACT and SAT scores for minorities to get into colleges implies that they don't make scores as high as the majority of individuals. Come on, that's so totally insulting. It's like saying, "Hey, you aren't smart enough to score that high, so we are going to lower the standard so you can get in."

When I started FSU, I had a black female roomate. We both had Associates in Arts degrees, and both graduated from community college with a 3.8. She got scholarship money, I did not. Can I now argue that because I'm a short white person with a disability that I should have gotten money too since I am technically a minority? (i.e. person with disability in college). Or do I find it insulting for someone to imply that, because I'm disabled, I won't have a GPA as high as everyone else and should therefore be rewarded for my "effort"?

I'm telling you folks, it's the latter with me. To even suggest that someone in a minority can't perform as well as the general population is ridiculous. Scholarships should be rewarded on the basis of performance and academic achievement ALONE, no consideration whatsoever to race, sex, disability. THAT is the only fair way. The same goes with jobs and such.

Now that I've beat a dead horse, I'll shoosh.

--------------------

Small minds think in small terms!
~~CMH, creator and writer of Shayla Petrolu, Erik Kartan, Shawn Petrolu, Terrin Danner, Jasyn Lancaster, Matt Stanza, Aaron Barnes, And Taylor Garrison~~

Posts: 972 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 66.20.157.233
Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 01-20-2003 05:56 PM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree with you Mara - the only reason that many minorities don't perform as well is simply because many of them are in poorer school districts that don't have the money to pay for the services and quality teachers needed to teach them, the classes are over crowded the teachers over worked - they don't get the support they need from teh cities and districts and thereby the kids get less out of school no matter how hard these teachers try and then as they get older and this inconsistency with the "Majority" students in the suburbs grows they are less prepared for the state and other standardised exams - not out of any fault of thier own but simply because of the difficulties in the school caused by overcrowding and lack of money ( and the overcrowding is mainly DUE to the lack of money) I worked in an inner city school last semester and it was AWFUL compared to other schools I've seen - and this one was one of the nicest in this city, but classes are way overcrowded and teachers over worked - thier books are falling apart and they are using the same computers I did in first grade back in 1987!!!!!! Same technology same programs - nothing new since then - though i do believe even these were second hand.... it's no wonder these kids perform below white suburban kids (Any suburban kids esp from the more affluent districts - the one I'm in this semester GIVES EVERY teacher a laptop that can be hooked into the classrooms allowing them to run all the media equipment (which is bulit into each room) from thier desks, they have a TV station and TV's set up in the hallways continuously playing thier announcements for the day, oh and there is the BRAND NEW state of the art computer lab that someone donated last september....)
Segregation still exists - just covertly.....

--------------------

A friend once told me "The Turtle Moves" I think we should all remember that right now...
Don't dance to live, live to dance!

Posts: 319 | From: Wandering the planet | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 204.168.82.9
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 01-20-2003 08:03 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, let's not stereotype without meaning to. I mean, not every city is as bad as the scenario you are showing. Here in Des Moines the district funnels TONS of money for the inner city schools, bringing in all kinds of federal grants to assist and get state of the art equipment for them just so they DON'T get "accidentally" left behind the others.

Granted, it is the wealth of the districts which decide the "fates" of their schools: the wealthier suburbs with a lesser number of schools of course is going to have more money to begin with to use in their schools than the larger districts who encompass the entire gamut of socioeconomic class. But the trend is for districts to funnel as much as they can to assist the inner city kids; this is sometimes done by closing one school and consolidating. People holler that makes for a larger student-per-teacher ratio, but it does increase the funds allowed for that particular school.

And yes, maybe they are working with 1987 technology-- but they are online, where educational materials are free. There are also teacher resources open to them. And by the way, it's not just the inner-city teachers who are "over-worked and underpaid;" that is a problem existing across the board. It comes with the terrain.

A BIG problem lies beyond the scope of the schools -- or at least in an area they are expected to step in and take control of as well, and that is the family life of said students. Last I read I think it's around 20% of all students come from a solid nuclear family, no divorce; the majority come from broken homes and tons don't even have a home to go to. They are shuffled from grandparents to cousins to foster homes and whatnot; how do you think that makes a kid feel? A kid isn't going to worry about his achievement in school if he's got the self-esteem of a worm.

I guess I'm just trying to point out some deeper facts to think about; it's not as easy as you think to "blame the poor for the poor quality of education that they get." You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.209.6
Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 01-22-2003 02:18 PM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No I don't blame the poor - I blame the system that doesn't always try to even out the money to put it where the need is. RCSD is an entirely inner city district cause no one lives in the city that doesn't have to - i mean the suburbs are like 5 minutes from the exact center point of the city - the district REALLY has NO money, and the suburban families who work in the city don't share thier assets with the kids that need them. NOt to mention they don't even have internet in these schools so they aren't hooked up to this wealth of information that they could be. There needs to be a better way to fund schools that equalizes the per child spending across a much larger area - like say pooling all of the money through the states or counties. it's not the poor who are to blame but the rich who do everything in their power to keep thier kids in the upper class and the others in the lower classes (paraphrased from my edu teacher).

--------------------

A friend once told me "The Turtle Moves" I think we should all remember that right now...

Posts: 319 | From: Wandering the planet | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 204.168.82.9
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 01-22-2003 02:21 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Personally, I think one of the ways to fight this burgeoning problem is to do our utmost to assure -- or at least try to assure -- that kids are instilled with a good sense of self-esteem and morality. I know our churches go a long way toward doing this, but many children don't attend, so let's not bring that into the picture.

I think the way to do this is to federalize daycares and preschools... and make it mandatory that children attend preschool. Hire professionals in child development to operate these facilities; I know they are there in the preschools, but the daycares make me shudder. By treating our kids as they OUGHT to be treated and introducing this at an early enough age, we would help offset the opposite feelings and detrimental conditions many of them are subjected to in the home, and underscore those already lucky enough to have a good mentally, emotionally and physically nourishing homelife.

That to me is a major root of the problem. And this type of thing is instilled far earlier than people think... quite often by simple acts (or lack thereof) rather than words. (Although words do play a major part, don't misunderstand me.)

And I believe I did mention the financial discrepency existing between large-city school districts and their suburbs....

[ 01-22-2003 02:24 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.209.6
Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 01-22-2003 06:02 PM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't know about Mandating preschool - there are just some kids who can't handle it - kids who aren't comfortable around other kids or are just not ready to be out of thier homes. I agree that it should be paid for by the government and that real professionals should run them but as i said for some kids it would be more damaging to thier self-esteem than helpful. Kids like I was - hated being around other kids and was definitely more comfortable in tiny groups or with adults. Forcing kids like that into an environment that frightens them is only going to upset them and possibly turn them off of school. True if I had been forced earlier to deal with other kids I might actually be able to talk to other people my own age without worrying and getting nervous but I don't think so, groups still intimidate me (though not if they only come up to my waist somehow...) and that kind of environment was always quite intimidating and frightening for me. Basically I was the student that went and hid in the classroom, did all her work, got straight A's and only ever talked to the same 3-4 kids and the teacher - just very shy and quiet. You can't teach extrovertness and the younger kids are the moer difficult it is for them to adapt to an environment that does not suit their personality.

So basically, yes, the gov should fund preschools, but no they shouldn't be mandated - cause if Kindergarten leaves kids in tears everyday what will be those kids reacions to starting much younger?

--------------------

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 01-22-2003 06:32 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is something where objectivity must prevail. Generally speaking, the younger the child the less fear that child holds toward being in a group situation. And if normal fears prevail, then these can easily be handled by the professional who is trained in such things.

Those few who are extremely disturbed by such an environment can, of course, be treated as a special case.

I feel the pros far outweigh the cons. A good self-esteem is something every child deserves to have; perhaps being afraid of groups stems from the beginnings of low self-esteem to begin with (I am not good enough to be part of a group, and so on; this seems to be something I recall from my psych days, come to think of it) -- and by taking that child at that young of an age into a group situation, those beginnings of low self-esteem can be counterattacked by nurturing and so on.

In other words, as you say, by "forcing" the child into facing the problem, the problem may be overcome.

This will also be a great time to instill an enjoyment of reading into children. Studies show that the earlier you either begin to read to a child, or read in their presence, the greater chance that child has of developing a curiosity and love of reading.

Which of course is the foundation of school achievement levels. And so, so many do not get this simple thing at home.

--------------------

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05